Saturday, October 8, 2011

Keegan

Emergency halftime column: Gun for 100, Gundy!

Kansas cornerback Greg Brown lays out to force Oklahoma State receiver Hubert Anyiam out of bounds after a long reception during the first quarter on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Boone Pickens Stadium.

— Running up the score is considered bad form and I get that, in high school. I never have understood the big deal about college football teams putting huge numbers on the board, especially teams in the run for national titles.

Oklahoma State will mix in more runs and slow down the pace at some point in the second half because those are the unwritten rules. Here’s a better idea for Cowboys coach Mike Gundy: Reward your players for devoting so much mental and physical energy to execute his quick-tempo offense to perfection against a hopelessly overmatched, under-motivated Kansas University defense.

If Oklahoma State can take a shot at scoring 100 points, why not do it? Let the players carry that memory with them for the rest of their lives. In the process, the No. 6 Cowboys will move up in the rankings because scoring 100 points against a Division I-A defense is no joke, even if it is a defense that has a chance to go down in history as the worst in history.

Reader Steve Swaggerty, during an e-mail exchange earlier this week, predicted Kansas would allow 400 points during this nine-game Big 12 season. I countered with a guess of 382: Texas Tech (45), Oklahoma State (55), Oklahoma (51), Kansas State (38), Texas (48), Iowa State (24), Baylor (44), Texas A&M; (42), Missouri (35).

Well, since Oklahoma State already leads 56-7 at the half, that proves that Mr. Swaggerty is less of a KU football homer than I am. His guess of 400 points looks pretty good right now. But he shouldn’t count on Gundy helping him get way ahead of the 400 projection. That’s not what football coaches do. Backup Clint Chelf closed the half for the Cowboys.

OK, I can see that, and he did let Chelf throw a pass, which naturally resulted in a touchdown, covering 24 yards. But will he let Chelf and/or starter Brandon Weeden air it out for another two quarters and make a legitimate run at 100 points? Doubtful, which is a shame because the crowd would be so into it and it really would make for an interesting second half.

Speaking of second halves, most figure next week’s home game against Oklahoma will mark the end of the first half of head coach Turner Gill’s Kansas University coaching career. Former athletic director Lew Perkins signed Gill to a five-year, $10 million contract, all guaranteed.

Those familiar with KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger’s thinking on the issue believe Zenger will give him through 2012 to prove himself. But what if OSU goes for it and gets 100 points and Oklahoma tries to do the same a week from now? What if a group of alumni, so embarrassed by this team’s weekly sink to new depths, pools their millions after this season and offers to buy out Gill for $4 million of the remaining $6 million on his deal and former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach sends word through back channels that he wants to coach the Jayhawks? What then?

Anyway, enjoy the second half.

Comments

MartyrMangino 8 years, 3 months ago

Good thing the cupboard was bare, or this might have been embarrassing!

Pitthawk34 8 years, 3 months ago

Hire him on the spot even before Gill is fired. We need something to be proud of. I am already blaming this football team for my alcohol problem.

Kevin Randell 8 years, 3 months ago

Bottom line.....these types of blow outs are becoming a regular occurrence. I am all for supporting a coach, but there comes a time when you realize that this guy isn't getting it done. I say ride out the season and if we don't show any signs of being competitive, I will be one of those Williams Fund donors who will want some change.

So go ahead and bash what I say and say whatever you feel. I have played this sport, and I have coached this sport. Yes...it takes time, but this many blow outs over two years is NO excuse!

SCJayhawker 8 years, 3 months ago

You are so right my friend. However may I correct you as a long time Jayhawks fan. These blow outs on the gridiron have been going on since the 70s. I am sick of seeing teams such as our friends at KSU rise and fall and then rise again. I watch Baylor become a power. OU was so good for so long. They then fell on hard times but found the way to become a winner again. Nebraska too. I watch many teams figure out the formula to win over the years but we in Lawrence are too stupid or too soft to do what needs to be done to win football games. IT HAS GOT REAL OLD! The answer to winning football games is to have the right man at the helm. KSU found him. Lost him. And got him back. Now they are winning. OU and NU had him. Lost him. Found winners again. KU has had only one coach since the 70s who has won games consistently. Hiring a guy from Buffalo who had a losing record is not the right man for the job. Watch the remainder of the season if you doubt me.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 8 years, 3 months ago

We had him, but Mark Mangino was run out of town. Besides his first year, we were competitive in most every game we played, can't recall too many blowouts besides when we played Texas and OU.

George Bures 8 years, 3 months ago

Mark "Phat Man" Mangino recruited half these guys on defense..

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

If you know anything about football, defense requires a scheme. Ever since we lost Bill Young as defensive coordinator, our defense has declined....as has our records. Defense wins football games....period. You comment about these guys being recruited by Mangino is half true. The other half are Gill recruits that are underclassmen. Young was always able to take underated players and coach them up. Bring in someone that can coach some defense....that is the answer.

DCJayhawk0208 8 years, 3 months ago

Can we get Leach in time for the OU game?

tjfurrow 8 years, 3 months ago

I hate you right now, not because you're wrong, but because you had to put it in writing.... Thanks Richard!!

average 8 years, 3 months ago

I've said all along that Leach and the weirdness that is Lawrence have needed each other.

The intangible question is how strong the enmity for Leach remains at 'the World Leader'. No AD can really afford for his school to become non-grata in Bristol.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

Turner shouldn't even be allowed to coach the second half

milehighhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Proof that the average Keegan column is written in less than 20 minutes

Ryan Mullen 8 years, 3 months ago

Ha wow I can't believe that this doesn't have a 100 lol posted under it already.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Come on guys - I, for one, still BELIEVE . However, my beliefs have changed slightly.

I now BELIEVE that we are watching the worst defense in the history of college football.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

thanks Oklahoma - and i agree with your above post. I have been a supporter of Gill, if for no other reason than I don't think you can tell enough about a coach after one or two seasons to be calling for his head, but this is getting OLD fast. I honestly think if he wants to at least try to save his job, he needs to fire his defensive coordinator like last week. I don't think even K-State's defense was this bad back in the pre-Synder era. It's really embarrassing.

Dennis Mahorney 8 years, 3 months ago

So many positive posters on this sight.Most are fair.They range from hopeful to upset, KU football supporters. I agree that not enough time has been given to see Gill's best, but even with a HUGE improvement,we could still be very bad next year. I was wanting the entire coaching staff to survive the entire year, and look better, if for no other reason than the kids would be a year older and more experienced. KU should never be a team that hits bottom nationally in any area. To much money and to big of a school to fall behind regular cellar dwellers. Gill needs to fire someone or be seen as an accomplice. We may have one of the top 100 worst defense s in the last 50 years of college football.

jksport 8 years, 3 months ago

If Gill goes I hope he takes your sorry ass with him Keegan! This article is totally uncalled for!

voiceofreason2 8 years, 3 months ago

He's right dude. And what do you consider "called for"??? I suppose it would be better for him to sweep the obvious under the rug, and put on his "give Gill a chance" hat and talk about some of the so-called "improvements" of this team from last year? Please....

hawk1nation 8 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the headline should have been, "Jayhawks within Striking Distance - Down 56-7 at Half"

Brad Miller 8 years, 3 months ago

Honestly, I can take losing by 70 today. I can handle getting beat 150-0 by OU next week. However, being outscored by a combined 200 points in coming losses to KSU and mizzoo may push me over the edge and I will curse and swear. Forgive me Rev. Gill.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Inteldesign - if you're out there - I'm a fan of yours and I know that you've proclaimed, even before the season began, that we would beat OU this season.

I think EVERYONE will give you a free pass if you want to take that back, cause it just ain't gonna happen. I still love KU, and always will, but - we is BAD.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

What blows my mind is looking at the stats. How can we be so competitive offensively and so awful on D? KSU won pretty amazingly today with a great defense and less than 300 yds on offense. We need a D coordinator. I have always believed that the Head Coach surrounds himself with talented people. No matter how clueless the head man could be if he surrounds himself with a good staff and gives them a free hand, then the team is fine. But, if you are passive and are not up to making changes, you can't stay at the position. Head Coaches need to be demanding. What K-state is doing in how they manage the game is what I thought we would be doing. But, if we cannot even execute 1/2 of the game...eat clock, ball-control, no miscues...then we will not win. The head coach is responsible for game management and it is beginning to appear that TG was not ready for this gig. Last week was a great example of a game we should have won, had it been properly managed. TG needs to hire a real D Coordinator to see what can be done this season. If he does not do so at the end of the year, it will be a huge mistake and next year may be no better. I don't think TG needs to be run out of town but the AD needs to check in and see what he intends to do to shore up the worst defense in the country. If he fails to recognize the obvious, then there will probably be a milestone that the coach needs to make or he will be gone. All things being equal I believe in the effectiveness of tenure. I would be content if we were "closing the gap" within the conference, but it appears to be widening. All bets are off.

Lastly, I don't understand why Keegan wrote this article unless MU's loss had him down. Bad form, Keegan.

vd 8 years, 3 months ago

4 turnovers in the first half and you put all the blame on the D? 4 TOs and you consider that being "competitive"?

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

If we can move the ball on offense, that is competitive. Turnovers is out of that equation. If we can have occasional stops on D, we tighten up in the red zone, make big stops at times throughout the game and don't give up 50-yard gains every three plays, I would say that we could be competitive on Defense. Is that clear enough? OSU clearly called off the dogs. Go ahead, make the offense responsible for 28 points. That makes the defense responsible for giving up 42 points, some of which came from their second unit. By any standard, our defense is a joke. They could have scored 100 points and broke a lot of records today, but to OSU's credit, they did not.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I think the lack of defense has mentally ( and physically ) worn out the offense. They know that even if they score, they're going to be back in the game in 30 seconds, after the opponent scores another field munching 2 play drive. I haven't looked, but I'd be willing to bet the KU has the most time of possession in every game this year. We all know in today's game, that's probably not a good stat. The more we have the ball, the greater the chance for turnovers.

pcutjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know if Leach is interested in coatching? He was rumored at Maryland last year? I thought Gill would be ok, it was going to take time. This defense is unacceptable, and only so much can be put on Shealy. If we can land Leach, I'm all for it. The pirate in Lawrence would be awesome.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh my gawd! What if there second string puts up 50 on us in the second half?

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

let's look at it this way - we're tied in the second half. (hopefully we will still be when I get done typing this.)

jksport 8 years, 3 months ago

who is this "us" you refer to ahpersecoaching? I"m sure you will be busy doing a big Keegan fluff fest after this game.

Yogi 8 years, 3 months ago

If Gill was such a great coach why didn't he even get a sniff from Nebraska? Because they knew he'd never be a great college coach! Why in the h--- KU ever hired him I can't begin to imagine. I'll bet Coach Mangino is laughing his wide rear end off about this. Get rid of Gill NOW!

LSHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

The Fat man is partly to blame for this as he left the program in a shambles.

Kyle Crenshaw 8 years, 3 months ago

i disagree...yeah he never recruited the best players but damn was him and his staff good at developing those players. recruiting speed and then doing nothing to make them more than track stars does nothing for a defense.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

exactly...quit blaming the "cupboard was bare". Mangino could coach.

Baldwin023 8 years, 3 months ago

"Has a chance to go down as the worst in history".....pretty sure that is inevitable. Worst defense I have ever seen. Why doesn't Tharp get more PT? Was he not on a few Freshman All-America lists? Oh and we need to overhaul the DBs...I don't think I've seen so many blown coverage assignments...EVER.

Dillon Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

and surely enough our defensive coordinator is our secondary coach. So that explains that.

ghostofrealityspeaks 8 years, 3 months ago

Sorry turner, I like you and what you stand for but you must go now. Zenger end this now.

Maracas 8 years, 3 months ago

OSU could have hung 150+ on us today had they wanted. That's pretty sad, really.

Robert Brock 8 years, 3 months ago

Will KU invest resources necessary to resurrect football or are we ready to consider joining the Big East as a basketball-only school?

LSHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I was always a Gill supporter and wanted to give him a chance but this is embarrassing. Need to fire Gill and staff and hire Leach.

Dan Harris 8 years, 3 months ago

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

lv_jhwk 8 years, 3 months ago

Had to double-check the web address to make sure I had the correct site...and yes, this is KUSports.

This is without a doubt the most classless article I have read on this site, perhaps anywhere. I get the dismay and outrage at the on-field product (in fact agree with much of it), and also understand "editorial privilege", but these paragraphs amount to nothing more than tabloid journalism. While objective journalism has become a thing of the past in more places than this, its still saddening to see here.

Oh, and about your "Mr. Swaggerty is less of a KU football homer than I am"...isn't that akin to saying that Osama bin Laden is a little nicer than Adolf Hitler?

83jayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Who needs enemy's win Keegan is your lead writer.

What a joke he is to post a headline like this. You better learn where your bread is buttered Keegan.

gardenjay 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree with lv-jhwk. I would offer my services to other F-ball schools to make recruiting more difficult at KU, that's what this growing business plan looks like. I haven't enjoyed the schadenfreuden thing, and it feels like he is leading a campaign of sorts.

We scored the first touchdown - and I thought the boys did some good things, but what can you do with such a young squad. I applaud OSU for a their version of a bit of sportsmanship, but some of us are rather glad we went to KU.

Very happy with the way our offense isn't intimidated by these other schools, and I look forward to the rest of the season. RCJH.

Andrew Moore 8 years, 3 months ago

I like this article, because this is what I believe as well. We deserve a 100 hung on us! We suck!

dynamitehawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I like Tom. I've never met him, but I bet he'd be awesome to puff sticks and swig suds with. I love this site and he has a ton to do with it's success. To cut a column at halftime... It's just cool. I agree with the Leach idea, too.

Lynn Stuart 8 years, 3 months ago

ok it;s time to bring Mangino back all the liberal sukys that think he's to mean. tuff we had great teams won alot of bowl games and he brought alot of money into the school go with a winner and stop the boo baby stuff and get him back

xfitter 8 years, 3 months ago

We had A great team under mangina, 1. Not teams, go look at the records he posted each season! Even that 12-1 season had to have the perfect schedule with those recruits, it worked out to good timing otherwise we were extremely mediocre under the last coach. Keegan, your job is to write about KU sports not press for opposing teams you fat POS. I realize you have to write your articles fast enough to not have a heart attack from the extended energy used to write decent pieces, but still this just proves you dont give a dmn about KU or Lawrence. I hope i meet you one day so i can i reashambo the f** outta you! Only regret is you've already contaminated the world with your seed...

jksport 8 years, 3 months ago

I can't figure out who should be fired first.... Keegan or Gill???

gardenjay 8 years, 3 months ago

The boo baby stuff? Personally, I like what is getting us the classy recruits that we have. I don't want KU to just become OU or OSU, I'm glad I went to KU. It has its own brand of winning, and some folks just don't understand how to be a KU football fan. You need patience, and an ability to wait several seasons while enjoying what you have.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the orange bowl. But that happens only once every 40 years for a KU fan. That's what makes KU special - what I don't recall are the bandwagon trashing of the program.

You know that this week will be marked by awful predictions of how OU will destroy KU and more trashing of KU football, but I remember another losing season when KU beat Oklahoma. At that time the boo babies were the fans, but I was a rabid fan amonst them anyway. That experience taught me a lot as a fan, and how to be mature as a fan. I believe in this team. I'm going with KU to win vs OU this coming week in a surprise upset,

KU 77 OU 70

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Hahah, this post is hilarious. It's rare to find someone with the ability to write with such well concealed sarcasm.

"Personally, I like what is getting us the classy recruits that we have." Haha, that's rich. Yes, all these recruits who must forfeit their entire season because they can't manage football along with their court cases.

gardenjay 8 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to dissapoint you, however I'm serious: KU 77 OU 70. Note that I compensated for KU defense in my prediction.

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

I thought that Gill would get 4 or 5 seasons and he still might, but when we all saw the GaTech game and thought that it could not get worse, well it just might. If we have another loss or two, or even three like this, I would not wager that he will be retained. I could be wrong. I listened to some of his post-game comments and it sounds like it could be any other game. He did not sound embarrassed or even upset. I am really disappointed that this year is not looking any better than last.

s6u6r6f 8 years, 3 months ago

Gardenjay,

As much as I appreciate your sentiment and wish you could be right, I must instead ask: can you mail me some of that clearly primo herb you must be growing and assessing?

Rock chalk.

Lynn Stuart 8 years, 3 months ago

Really garden? I've watched KU football since 1970 and no one is more a fan then I but all those really nice things the football program has is from who? Mangino and his program, yes the last yr sucked but all the man did for the program how quick a lot of fans turned on him and then kicked him out for what? being a football coach. thats the problem with these kids nowadays they lack the drive and emotion to be the best if you talk mean to me I will cry and tell my mommy,

Kc Ticketguy 8 years, 3 months ago

what a clown! I don't want KU to be just another OU or OSU? Just another OU... yeah who would want to have team thats going to contend for the national title every year...boring!

Your saying you want a team that is terrible and never wins just so the few times they do manage to be decent the win it tastes sweeter...You sir are an idiot.

ta900 8 years, 3 months ago

Can someone let Gill know that KU is not a pro team! Dumbass is coaching like he is in the suck for luck sweepstakes good god.

lothario64118 8 years, 3 months ago

Stop making excuses folks. Whether Gill's players or not, that D-Coordinator sucks and so does Mr Two Million Dollar Man, He had a losing record in the MAC, ans he will have it in the B12.

Seriously, bring his own players in? He couldn't do it at Buffalo. Pinkle, Meyers,Saban did.

Damn we suck. Bad. And this is what 2M/year gets us? LOFMG.

hiphopopotamus 8 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me, 400 in 9 games is an absolute lock. That means we'd only give up 40 per the rest of the way. That seems a little optimistic. I'd be surprised if we held anyone under 40.

Mike Gammill 8 years, 3 months ago

This is another in a long line of gridiron embarrassments. So, let KU do what it always does, that is give Gill another year, then fire him and his staff and buy new uniforms. That way, we'll look snazzy for the new coach!

KU really ought to evaluate whether any revenue from football makes it worth fielding a team or not. Seriously.

OU may run up 80+, we'll have to see.

90sHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I am so freaking embarassed right now because of our football team, and they should feel ashamed. Have some PRIDE for crying out loud !!!! This defense gets more disgusting week after week. I've seen circumstances like this before, and the men on the D side of the ball had enough heart to play all out, but I am seriously doubting this team has anything to give. Pathetic is an extreme understatement. Im am DISGUSTED

FlintHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Gutsy column, Keegan. I wish you HAD been wrong, however, Better to have one embarrassed sports editor than our entire fanbase. We oldtimers long for the (short-lived) glory of the past; I'm beginning to doubt if we'll live long enough to see it. I'm proud of KU basketball, but I don't want my school known as "just a basketball school." I think we've seen — over the past few weeks of conference "realignment" — how much that's worth. Haven't seen anyone cherry-picking KU, have you?

danmoore 8 years, 3 months ago

It's not a good sign when losing has become secondary and the margin of defeat has become the issue. I still want to see Turner Gill coach his own players as upperclassmen but I fear that will not happen if the defense keeps impersonating a division II program. As painful as it is, firing him would be a mistake. We have to give him a chance. No decent coach will want to come to Lawrence and if they do they will bolt at the first opportunity.

texashawk10 8 years, 3 months ago

For those of you who think Mike Leach would be a good fit at KU, let me ask you why? I was unaware that Texas Tech ever played defense while Leach was there. All Mike Leach would've done today is make the score a little closer. His defenses were never better than average and he never made defense a priority at Tech. If you're going to advocate for a new coach, at least advocate for a defensive coach like Brent Venables (OU), John Chavis (LSU), or even take a shot at getting Bud Foster out of Blacksburg and let them bring in an OC to build on the progress that KU has made this year on that side of the ball. For those of you who don't think either side of the ball has improved, KU scored 20+ points 4 times total last year, they've done that in every game so far this year and I think most of us would agree that with even an average defense KU likely beats Texas Tech and GT and today are at least respectable although probably both still end up as 20+ point blow outs. Please use some common sense before blindly agreeing with some idiot who thinks an opponent should purposefully go for 100 on the team he covers. Keegan, you really should use better judgement when writing stupid crap like this or attacking an 18 year old kid.

BarkingHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Please, people. Going back to North Dakota State - the first example of not having a team ready to play - to today, our nice, decent, but inept head coach simply lacks the ability to instill the single quality that every team that plays this game must have: Toughness.

Historically at Kansas, the talent level is rarely superior. Historically at Kansas State, the talent level is rarely superior. However, there is an enormous emphasis on physical, mental and emotional toughness at the latter. The results speak for themselves.

It is becoming readily apparent that this team is not physically tough, notably the defense. Many, particularly in the secondary, shy from tackles. Few at any position deliver the blows typical of even outmanned Mangino or Mason teams. Their strength and conditioning is suspect at best.

It also appears mentally lacking, too often out of position, compounded by poor angles in tackling with coverage errors abounding.

Finally, it has, too often, given every indication of flat out quitting, most notably last year vs. KSU, last month at Georgia Tech and today. When things start to get tough, too many check out. Not going to get hurt today.

The better coaches, most of whom are not as nice as Coach Gill, may abide a talent deficiency, but will not tolerate a lack of these qualities of toughness. Players have to fear the consequences of a failure to exemplify them enough on Saturday to dread the following week of practice. It's evident that, with this Coach, they do not. He has failed to show an ability to instill these most essential qualities for success on a football field, and this shortcoming has caused the illness that started last year to reach epidemic proportions within this team.

The only way those of us - who contribute money to the Williams Fund, buy football season tickets and attend the games - can show the level of our dissatisfaction is by refusing to do any of them until the clearly necessary change is made. I'll give the minimum to the Williams Fund, but Sheahon, if you allow this to go any longer, you've lost my four-seat season ticket purchases and attendance until you make the move.

I like our head coach, just not as a head coach. We can't tolerate being the league and national joke. We rapidly are becoming so.

The Chancellor and the A.D. are now on the clock.

smartjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree with the headline. If you can run up the score without risking injuries to key players, then go for it. What if at the end of the season the difference between you getting one more vote for second place in the poll to have a direct shot at the national title is whether you scored 60 points in a couple of games or 90 points in those games? Until the NCAA implements a post bowl game final 4 type of playoff system, teams that are in the hunt for the title should absolutely run up the score. When it is about polls concerning getting to the nation title in college football, and those polls require votes to put you in position, it is time to campaign hard, even if that means embarrassing the heck out of an inferior opponent. Blame the NCAA and teams that do not prepare properly, not the coaches and teams that come ready to play and put on a great show that some consider unsportsmanlike. If I was Stoops, you don't think I would have run up the score against Missouri if I could of considering OU allowed 28 points? You bet that I would have. It is a big IF, but if OU scored 70 or more in that game, they would have a shot at more 1st place votes than LSU. This is exactly why I expect OU to run up the score next game. If they play like they did against Texas, it could be 85-17.

smartjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

The 17 points will only be possible if Gill gets his head out of the pasture and gives Bourbon more than 10 carries.