Wednesday, October 5, 2011

KU basketball ‘mini plans’ include tickets for big games

Officials at Kansas Athletics Inc. aren’t at all worried about the Jayhawks losing their streak of 164 consecutive home sellouts. Instead, they consider the availability of tickets for the 2011-12 season as a prime opportunity for folks outside the Williams Fund to buy in.

“We had the same thing last year, and they were gone well before the first game,” said Jim Marchiony, an associate athletic director. “We anticipate the same thing happening this year.”

To help draw more fans, the department, for the first time, is selling tickets in seven-game “mini plans” without requiring membership in the Williams Fund, the donor organization that finances athletic scholarships and provides “priority points” for seating for men’s basketball games. The department did the same thing last year, but with half-season plans.

While fund membership remains a requirement to secure season tickets this year — yes, some 19-game sets remain available, accessible with a $100 donation — the mini plans represent a new approach.

Each of three seven-game plans costs either $300 or $400, depending on seat location, and includes tickets for three Big 12 Conference games:

• Iowa State, Baylor and Texas Tech.

• Kansas State, Texas A&M; and Oklahoma State.

• Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas.

That’s right: Without paying a premium, buyers can see the seven-time defending conference champion Jayhawks take on their most heated rivals.

Whether it’s Baylor (picked by many to win the league), K-State (Sunflower Showdown) or both Texas and Missouri (one a big-time program, the other a big-time rival), seats to such games remain available for purchase directly from the department.

And who knows? The Missouri game Feb. 25 just may be the last one the Tigers — mulling whether to leave the conference — ever play in Lawrence, after 121 previous Border War battles.

(KU is 44-14 all time against the Tigers at the fieldhouse, by the way, and 88-33 in Lawrence.)

“It’s a much more affordable sum of money to still get to experience the best home court — the best home court experience — in college basketball,” Marchiony said.

About 300 to 400 seats remains available, as a mixture of either season tickets or through mini plans.

To help market the seats to potential buyers, the department has sent materials to degree-holding KU alumni in Douglas and Johnson counties. Each mailing includes a photo of a basketball locker — one containing a jersey adorned with the last name of a particular degree holder — along with a personalized Web address for degree holders to access information online.

Comments

manginorh00lz 8 years ago

So much for "objective" journalism. This should be labeled as an advertisement, written by the KU athletic department, because that is ALL it is.

onlylookin2score 8 years ago

Good lord,. why the hell aren't you writing for them then? It's informative. It doesn't tell you that your a sad sack if you don't buy your chosen assemblance. I simply lists the reasons why someone who's interested in KU basketball might buy said mini packages. I say any article written in hopes of helping KU's bottom line should not be scrutinized, considering this is KUSPORTS.COM. This, in no way, comprimises journalistic ethics.

SaulGood 8 years ago

All of my journalism classes I've ever taken said that news is not supposed to be cheerleading. I'm pretty sure this article is to blame for me suddenly having the thought that I might be able to afford to drop the equivalent of my monthly rent on a set of three tickets. Sorry, while Mangino might be a little crass about it, I think he makes a solid point :)

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years ago

Triple U sponsored by...Williams Fund Points

Michael Luby 8 years ago

Blah blah blah tickets, blah blah blah. Only thing that I care about is KU winning the conference again.
Baylor has to get past us first.

Michael Luby 8 years ago

Baylor has to get past us first.

trader 8 years ago

For years I was a lowly member of the Williams Fund and not able to call and get tickets. Now, there are seats available. Gee, I wonder why I can finally get seats after all the years of them not being available to me? And, for the good games? I guess things change.

Eliott Reeder 8 years ago

Scott Oswalt 8 years ago

I agree. Now I can afford to go to a few bball games! I purchased the third ticket package.

brooksmd 8 years ago

Damn, wish I was back home in Topeka now instead of down here in New Orleans. Didn't even get picked for Final 4 tickets.

Nikki May 8 years ago

Sorry, but those sentences don't belong together. Family of 4? Pay more than my house payment to go to a couple of games? Still NOT even close. Glad I went while I was still a student. You know, it's almost cheaper to take a class, buy the student ticket and just hope for the seat.

Beate Williams 8 years ago

Were you able to take your family of 4 when you were a student? Why are people beating this to death when all of a sudden they are making it known that tickets are available and you don't have to spend $300, $400 or $500 to go see one game against Texas, or Missouri or KState? I'm truly puzzled.

SaulGood 8 years ago

Might be partially due to the hackneyed assertion that the true fans in the community can't just decide to go to a game on a whim because, even though it's "over", the ticket scandal drove prices beyond recognition. I don't think there's anything wrong with a mom wanting to take her fam to a game without having to trade shelter. Not all of us are doctors, you know, but we all want to go see a game in the Fieldhouse without taking out a second mortgage, or pick which one of your kids is your favorite this week and therefore gets to go to the game! Sure it's cheaper than it was before, but I wish you'd be a little more careful and sensitive. That's still a rent check for a lot of people (namely, me!). Maybe you should have some kids and have to hear them talk about how much they'd love to see their beloved 'Hawks in AFH, then have to tell them they can't!

Dunno...got any alternatives from the Beach?

Jonathan Allison 8 years ago

--------->"Kansas University no longer scores enough points-holding, ticket-buying fans to fill Allen Fieldhouse — a loss of demand that is leaving seats for the season’s most intense rivalries available to the general public."

What a lie. I bet the department has just as many Williams fun members. Why are the tickets suddenly coming available?

--------->"Previously, fund membership had been mandatory for everyone outside students, faculty and staff buying season tickets for men’s basketball. The requirement formed the cornerstone of a points system implemented by then-Athletic Director Lew Perkins to drive up donations, using his department’s most sought-after asset."

The department was giving tons of season tickets to it's employees, and they were selling them on stubhub, why? So that there would be no seats available in the Fieldhouse and so Lew Perkins could drive the season ticket prices sky high.

Wow, what a scam, and I guess that Lew Perkins did have his hand in it after all... at least according to this sales pitch for "mini-plans"

Mike Skiles 8 years ago

Ah children.... for those of us who are not students or employees of university, this was good news and a decent informative article on tickets. Quit the whining, it is not interesting and a bit of a bore.

Tony Bandle 8 years ago

I am outraged that after what he did to us by jilting Kansas for North Carolina and then becoming the utimate hypocrite by coming back to recruit in our backyard, this fund is still named after Roy Williams.

It's criminal...it's ridiculous...it's.. what was that?? It's a different Williams!??

Oh!!

.......never mind. :)

omng392 8 years ago

I for one like this article as a KU fan and long time supporter living in NE suckerville. This is the perfect excuse I need to get down to Lawerence and catch a couple of games RCJH

justinryman 8 years ago

Im glad this article was out there so now I know that I have a chance to get tickets.....maybe.