Originally published October 4, 2011 at 11:59p.m., updated October 5, 2011 at 01:28a.m.

Bill Self won’t promise continuation of KU-MU series if Tigers bolt Big 12 for SEC

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as he listens to forward Mario Little's senior speech following the Jayhawks' 64-51 win over Texas A&M on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says he hopes the University of Missouri remains a proud member of the Big 12 Conference.

If the Tigers do decide to bolt for the SEC, however, they will do so aware there’s the chance they’ll never play KU in hoops in the regular season again.

“To me it’s a great rivalry, one of the best in college basketball without question, but I don’t think I would be interested in having a once a year game like I did when I was at Illinois, playing Missouri,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday night.

He was speaking after learning Missouri’s Board of Curators announced it has delegated power to MU chancellor Brady Deaton to explore options for future conference affiliation.

“I could probably change my mind (but) trust me, we would have no trouble finding another nonleague game to play. I love the rivalry (uninterrupted since 1907 with KU leading 171-94). Playing home and home in the league is great and all those things ... (but) I can’t imagine, why would we continue playing?

“If they choose to be somewhere other than with us and with the other schools that they’ve been a part of and could jeopardize the future of the other schools ... I’m not going to make a commitment now that we’d ever play again. I’m not saying we won’t. I’m certainly not going to pretend that we would.”

Self grew animated when it was suggested the media would likely ask for a continuation of the series with perhaps a once-a-year meeting between the Border War combatants in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I’m not saying it would be bad or won’t be bad (playing once on neutral court). I will say this ... the media is not going to dictate who we play. I’ll dictate who we play as long as I’m coaching here,” Self said. “I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can’t see us just taking it and forgetting. I think that would be something that’d be talked about with our administration and we’d make a decision that’s best for our place. They are making a decision that’s best for theirs. We’ll make a decision on a schedule that’s best for us.

“I am not going to schedule Missouri just to schedule Missouri. I’m going to schedule what’s best for us, period. That’s how it’s going to be.”

There’s already precedent for KU not going out of its way to schedule teams that flee the league.

“We’re not playing Nebraska,” Self said of the Huskers, who like Missouri, are within close geographic proximity to KU. “There are other schools we could certainly try to find games with. That will be sad for a lot of fans if it comes to that,” he added of the end of the KU-MU rivalry. “Hopefully it won’t. Hopefully they’ll want to stay and be part of the Big 12.”

Self stressed that any future scheduling decisions would be made after seeing “how our league plays out. Our league schedule will determine what we do nonconference. I don’t think we would feel we owe anybody or any other school in our league would feel we owe anybody anything that leave. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t continue a relationship. To think we HAVE to do it, there’s no ‘have to’ at all. Only way we do it is if it’s what’s best for us.

“We will do what’s best for us from a scheduling standpoint. And that will create absolutely no controversy at all.”

Self has no idea what would happen in KU’s other sports if the Tigers leave the league.

“I don’t know how the football program feels. I am not into scheduling (football). Unless it’s mandated from above, I want to play who I want to play,” he said. “I’m not saying it wouldn’t be them (Tigers), I’m certainly not. We can’t assume they’d play us.”

One thing is for sure ... “Of course I want them to stay. I want to play them twice a year in the league. They want to play us twice a year in the league. It’s great,” Self said.

Zenger says

"We value our longstanding conference rivalry with Missouri. We believe the midwest deserves a strong conference for student-athletes, fans and alumni, and it is our desire that Missouri stay committed - as Kansas is - to the Big 12 Conference." - Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger

Comments

kspurpledude 2 years, 5 months ago

Missouri is deluded if it thinks it'll play basketball or football games against KU/K-State or Big 12 opponents. Why would KU or K-State want to give the SEC a presence in fertile recruiting grounds? Nebraska won't be played either since they're in the Big 10. Duh?

The Big 12 Tournament can still be played in KC. KC is in the Midwest not the Rust Belt or where the good ol'boys in the SEC break recruiting rules all the time.

Get over it Mizery! The Border War is over and Mizery has lost.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

Miscue may be our historical rival but our real rival in basketball has been Texas.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 6 months ago

I will eternally root against Nebraska, Colorado and A&M....and any other school that bails on a once-proud conference.

Self is absolutely right...why give Mizzou the honor of playing a program like KU if they won't even stay in the same league and throw all that history away?

It's like a nasty divorce...if you leave your partner for someone else, you shouldn't be able to come back around the rest of the family for Christmas.

Steve Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

HCBS walks on water. This is shot across the bow, don't take our rivalry for granted, if you depart we will decide whether to continue to play you or not, don't assume. If it suits us to play you at our house, or Arrowhead or Sprint Center or LiveStrong we may and for our own purposes. Besides we haven't beat you enough and desire more wins over you, so stand by don't call us we'll call you. Sometimes I recall Wilt, JoJo, Darnell, Dave Robisch and the golden years and then wake up and tell myself, "you fool, these are the golden years."

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I read and responded to this article early morning, and have thought about it often today. Bill Self is surprisingly testy about the subject, and has tossed down the gauntlet re future hoops scheduling. He recognizes that much of this realignment brouhaha stems not only from the lure of media money, but also media manipulations of scheduling. In that regard, he states, "...the media is not going to dictate who we play. I will dictate who we play as long as I am coaching here." I hope and trust that KU administrators and the influential decision makers of the Kansas Board of Regents don't choose to lock horns with a coach who is so important to Jayhawk athletics. An array of options might be open to Bill Self if he should ever get fed up with the tug and pull of influences to disrupt his vision of how the Jayhawks should operate. At a time when the Big 12 appears to be on the road to recovery and a modicum of stability, archrival Missouri chooses to launch a flag stating, "We are wavering!" Nice. Really nice! Bill Self made very clear his feelings re future nonscheduling with league turncoats. I predict that if he is forced unhappily to back down, and to continue to schedule a game which he feels is not in the best interest of his program and KU athletics, he will wave goodbye to Lawrence and what remains of the league he happily joined 9 seasons ago.
Evidently, the influx of TX schools into the revision from Big 8 to Big 12 eventually made for so much furor re the imbalance in profitsharing that our league has grown so sick with greed and hostility that we are in a constant state of dissolution. I would be very disappointed to lose the rivalry with Mizzou, but if they abandon the league then I am firmly with Bill Self. Omit them from any regular season schedule. As a Missouri resident, I am more than somewhat disgusted with the latest turn of events.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 6 months ago

If misery ends up screwing KCMO out of the conf tourney, they should be banned from using Arrowhead for their bullshirt football coffer. But that won't happen either cause 50% of something is better that 100% of nothing. If it were up to me, they wouldn't get in the city limits, at least not in the daylight. But then again, it's in their dna to sneek in at night.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

"They offer nothing to any conference ..."

That's not true, truehawk. They offer a puffed-up sense of entitlement, some of the worst fans in the history of sports, and a medicore-at-best overall sports program. So it's really not fair to say they offer nothing ...

Pitthawk34 2 years, 6 months ago

To be honest Mu belongs in the SEC, their heritage, beliefs, values and just their way of life. They will be able to spark their academics in that conference. Better get plans to begin renovations to your campus to include outhouses. I lived in the south for 5 years and I know what that area of the United States is all about and it is not pretty.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 6 months ago

Good for HCBS.

I don't think they're welcome anywhere, not even here, but if misery goes SEC will be a consistant also-ran. Maybe they're trying to tap the money tree of that conf without a six yr penalty & think is a better move, but they'll suck in all sports then, only may get big spender crowds for fball. We're all sick of this realignment crap, but I am repulsed by misery period, ALL the time! I don't shiv a git if we never ever play them again. As the Hag says, "The roots of my raise'n run deep." We've been in these parts since the Civil War and we're stayin'. Misery can go square to Haiti for all we care.

jaymar74 2 years, 6 months ago

Why would we play Missouri in a non-conference game? We don't play New Mexico.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the talk about pursuing BigEast schools to join the conference makes more sense that I originally realized. The 8 remaining "football" schools in the Big12: ISU,KSU,OU,OSU,Baylor,Texas Tech, Texas and Missouri could join in full standing; whereas KU would join only in basketball. By doing this KU could avoid all the negative comments about our football program, including those about poor fan dedication. In this situation, KU would join the likes of Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Marquette, Sisters of the Poor, et. al.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Big 12 football core schools [Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Okla State] 16-0 Big 12 football member schools [ Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor] 12-4

Potential escapees [Texas A$$ and MMMM and Misery] each 2-2

Potential add ons [BYU 3-2, Air Force 3-1, TCU 3-2, SMU 4-1, Houston 5-0, Cincinnati 4-1, Boise State 4-0] etc, etc,

Maybe we just might survive after all!!!! :)

MWShields 2 years, 6 months ago

If you want Missouri to stay you can email the Board of Curators and MU Administration by copying and pasting the addresses below.

'deatonb@missouri.edu'; 'owenssj@umsystem.edu'; 'boardofcurators@umsystem.edu'; 'werdman@kcsouthern.com'; 'davidb@newspressnow.com'; 'ddowning@grgpc.com'; 'don@elliscuppsandcole.com'; 'jhaggard@semohealthnetwork.org'; 'david.steward@wwt.com'; 'craig@vanmatre.com'

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 6 months ago

This sounds an awful lot like a very cheerful threat, which makes me wonder just how much revenue is generated from the KU-MU basketball games each year. I'm willing to bet that it's an amount of money KU can afford to lose, given our annual profits from b-ball each year (and the fact that AFH sells out for every game, even the exhibitions). But I wonder if Mizery can afford it, too? I'd love to see some numbers on what kind of money these games bring in. Anyone in the know about that?

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Yup, agreewithwhatHeManBillsaid...

On the flip side: WildBill rattles the saber a bit towards the MizzooCreatures, who already thoroughly beaten twice yearly by himBillbully, now "break" and run for the hills...last seen scattering in a southeasterly direction. Tried to run north but couldnt--hahaha! Even abandoned by their give-em-hell (40min) leader, who bolted for Arkansas, caused the 'ZooCreatures to beshat themselves, and now they gotta go show the world their dirty laundry...

kevz87 2 years, 6 months ago

scary he says this. I'm a big ku fan but when mizzou leaves and the big 12 doesn't get a BIG name school self will be gone. He won't hang around to coach against TCU and SMU. If mizzou leaves we need to be going after Louisville and memphis.

southwindjay 2 years, 6 months ago

I honestly don't care if they leave, I would be very surprised if anyone would even want them, especially the SEC. They wanted to ride Nebrakas coat-tail now A&M

lama 2 years, 6 months ago

Love it. Coach Self has shown great leadership throughout this mess, including last year when he was working behind the scenes when it looked like the Big 12 was toast. The guy does so much for KU beyond being a great basketball coach.

Joe Ross 2 years, 6 months ago

What I LOVE about this article is that Coach Self is coming out with both guns blazing saying, "You wanna leave Missouri? Then f@ck you!" It's great when you know your coach has your back. Coach danced around the tulips with Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A/M, and Oklahoma when they all weighed the decision to leave. But not Missouri. Now that's a coach I can believe in.

Vincent Patterson 2 years, 6 months ago

I still think BGL needs to be talking to the ACC. KU would be a perfect fit. Just like the SEC has been dubbed the best football conference in the nation, adding KU to the likes of UNC and Duke would undoubtedly make that conference the best basketball conference in the land. And football wise, we would be playing schools that are more in line with our level of competition....basketball 1st, football 2nd. What upsets me is that BGL and Zenger are content with just waiting to see and who stays and who goes, but what if they wait too long and other schools continue to bolt for more stable conferences...there's only so many open slots! I say the hell with the Big 12 and this joined at the hip crap with KSU....It's time to look out for us and make sure we land in a conference where coaches of Bill Self's caliber would coach!!! PLEASE DON'T MESS THAT UP!!!

I am going to be laughing for quite some time if Misery goes to the SEC. To sit back and watch their demise will be priceless. Idiots! What will be even funnier is if the SEC does them like the Big 10 did and give them the Heisman! "Um thanks, but no thanks. Your school is doo doo"

KULA 2 years, 6 months ago

We ought to continue the series--isn't that always a guaranteed W for us, lol?

Trace Stark 2 years, 6 months ago

Bravo Coach Self... mizz brings nothing to the table as a non con opponent for the KU basketball program.

Michael Maris 2 years, 6 months ago

The following is displayed on JayhawkSlant.com.

Fans Leaving

Even though Kansas held a halftime lead over Texas Tech, not all the fans decided to return to the stadium for the second half. This wasn't lost on the players.

"It's tough on us because we're beating a Big 12 opponent at halftime then we come out of the locker room and see everybody walk out, it's kind of like well thanks for the support. It's something we can't focus on," Webb said. "We have to try and play our game no matter what. It definitely hurts when you're playing well and there isn't much support."

39,000 fans bought tickets. Then, they leave at halftime of the Football Game. I do NOT understand that mentality. If you bought the damn tickets to a football game, then you don't stay for the whole game. Why do you even bother to buy the damn ticket in the 1st place. Everytime I purchased a ticket to attend a KU football game. I stayed for the entire game. Otherwise, just stay home and watch the game on TV. Course, if KU Football gets back to the way it was back in the 80's, it WON'T MATTER.

Cause, those of us that are fans damn well remember what KU football was like in the 80's.

SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT............

Michael Maris 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, here we go again with the Male Soap Opera show.

Here is the list of the Kansas Board of Regents (serving all public Universities in the State of Kansas).

Andy Tompkins, Undergrad at East Central State in Ada, Oklahoma, Masters at Emporia State and Doctorates at University of Kansas

Ed McKechnie, Undergrad at Pittsburg State University

Dan Lykins, Undergrad at Kansas State, Juris Doctorate at Washburn

Tim Emert, Undergrad at U. of Kansas

Mildred Edwards, Undergrad at Wichita State

Christine Downey-Schmidt, Undergrad at Wichita State

Janie Perkins, Undergrad at Newman University (Wichita, Kansas)

So, these are the people who are going to decide the fate of University of Kansas Athletics in the future. Wichita State fans hate University of Kansas.

I'm telling you. If Bernadette Gray-Little and her administration are sitting on their hands. Then, Kansas Athletics won't amount to anything in the future. I view this situation as to many people sitting on the Kansas Board of Regents that will NOT be looking out for the best interest of Kansas Athletics. They will do their best to force Kansas to have tag-along Kansas State being tied to the tail feathers of the Jayhawks.

Matt Tait, I don't see that the silence and the constant comments of Kansas is commited to the Big XII Conference is helping the fans of University of Kansas. It is looking more and more like U. of Kansas is becoming more and more like the University of Idaho. Out in the Middle of no-where.

upinsmoke 2 years, 6 months ago

Norm Stewart must be rolling over in his grave right now.

purple_cat 2 years, 6 months ago

I applaud Coach Self for speaking his mind. As a K-Stater I realize that with our small TV market we do not have much to offer because re-alignment is all about TV money. KU's basketball tradition is their main selling point or they would be in the same boat as Iowa State and us.
Missouri seems to think they are a big time player. Wow, do they ever have delusions of grandeur. Hey Misery, I heard the shrink Nebraska is now seeing might have room on the couch for you.

hihawk 2 years, 6 months ago

It's too bad no other conference is looking at KU. It seems KU doesn't have much to offer another conference. Football is a loser and basketball is the only thing worth looking at, and its not much in demand as we have seen. Missouri does have a good football and basketball program which makes it a draw to other conferences. The football program at KU is the draw back and has been shown over the last two years with gill. If Mangino was still here KU would look to be a promising school to pick up. Gill and the football team is dragging KU's opportunity down.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

Is KU still going to play Colorado in Boulder; I know it was a big draw for all the KU alums in the Denver area; might be a good idea to continue that competition also keeps the Jayhawk recruiting intact there. Could care less about Nebraska (Wisconsin's whipping boy).

jahawkdave 2 years, 6 months ago

I love KU Football, but for me this isn't about Football (for me it is not for the decision makers I know it is), fact of life KU is most likely never going to be a football school, I hope I'm wrong.

Let's get in the best basketball situation we can, Basketball is who we are and who we will always be.

CU hoops worthless and gone, Neb even more worthless and gone, A&M hoops just a teaser and gone, and as far as I'm concerned Mizz is far from a rivalry, beating another team almost twice as many times as they have beaten you is not a rivalry, 0 final fours 0 national championships, coaches that leave their school for better jobs..... Misery was average in the Big 12 and can go be below average in the SEC, in both football and basketball.

A hoops conference with Louisville, WV, Memphis, Cinn...? I'll take those any day over CU NU A&M MU.

Isn't it MU that started this whole mess with the Big 10 last year and look where they ended up. I say good riddance.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Self is revealing his Captain Kirk side here, to separate himself from the do nothing strategy of CBernie and ShayZeng.

Its my ship.

Self is also revealing something about his feelings toward media on this.

They aren't telling me who to play.

This is not like Self and may betray some frustration on his own part that he is being kept out of the loop on the real reasons for his administration's approach.

Self may be getting the same "its too sensitive to discuss" advice.

This is one of the weirdest situations I recall.

And Self finally seems to be getting annoyed.

I don't blame ya, coach.

dragonah 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm a K-State grad, live in Manhattan, and bleed purple. I hate KU just like KU hates us. However, GOOD FOR BILL SELF! Even though we are enemies on the field/court, it's nice to see everyone (except Misery) working to stick together. I love it! Your coach moved up a notch on my "respect-o-meter".

Damian Glaze 2 years, 6 months ago

Fact: KU has been 3rd in total revenue (generated by Big 12 TV contracts) in the Big 12 regularly over the past 3-5 years. KU is regularly in the top 20 of all Division one schools in tototal revenue generated from athletics.

Football is a major money maker, but don't discount the amount of money that is generated by KU basketball. KU generates almost $40 million more revenue from sports than KState. Feel free to look for yourself: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4722523

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

But the REAL question is will Coach Self promise to stay if Kansas isn't a member of a BCS conference?

Well ...

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey, the Mizzou Board of Curators meeting has just been posted online. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyL_Ii...

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope we don't lose Kaleb T to the fight over something other than football TV revenues. It would be shame to see Self lose some great prospects, because MU intentionally can't make up its mind.

ltownatrain 2 years, 6 months ago

I find the funniest part is that conferences and the Media keep saying "Missouri is attractive because they bring 2 major Markets." Last time I checked Kansas City isn't owned by Mizzou as its dominated by KU. Not to mention that while half of the population of the KC metro does lie on the MO side I'm pretty sure all the money lies on the Kansas side. Also last time I checked the Big 10 didn't seem to care as apparently they know that KU dominates KC market and they have just enough of a foothold in the St. Louis market due to Illinois that they can get TV time there. This is just my opinion on all of this but it seems to me that Mizzou wanting to go to the SEC is just like a little kid running away from home for not getting their way.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd be bummed to see the rivalry go... but I suppose we could just say "OK Mizzou, we win in hoops, and you win in football.", pack our respective things up and part ways.

trey 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you Bill Self. He's the only leader at KU that seems to have a pulse, can speak without a script, say something interesting, and provide inspiration to the fans and alumni. The rest of our leadership team...

BGL - Underwhelming is an "understatement". Zenger - A lot of "rah rah", but seems to have zero connections or influence. Gill - Incompetent (I could say more but what's the point).

I agree with many of the other comments... this undying devotion to the Big12 is getting old. I'd rather hear absolutely nothing (ie, no comment), rather than how we're proud members of the Big12. Which is a joke of a conference. Though good for KU, since we've benefitted big-time from the unequal revenue sharing. Looks like we continue to be in cahoots with Texas.

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

And why do CBernie and Zenger not move KU to a stable conference instead of forcing Self to recruit uphill? :-)

Why is KU devoted to an unstable conference, but MU is not? :-)

Oh what a tangled web.

And as usual the refrain is trust us. Its all too sensitive to tell us about.

Why is football TV revenue so sensitive? :-)

Answer: It isn't. :-)

But something else sure is.

I wonder what it could be?

rhollinshed 2 years, 6 months ago

I love Bill Self! Tell it like it is! Never pushed into a corner! Bill Self for President! I love the way you represent Kansas U! No one else can say what you say and mean it! It would be a shame if money drove MU to the SEC but if that is what they want.....so be it! I wouldn't want to play them at Arrowhead. That boosts the Missouri economy. Why would we do that? It would be foolish. That is what Bill Self jut told us!

jaybate 2 years, 6 months ago

Again, why does MU jump for TV money, but OU does not?

Why does NU jump for TV money, but OU does not?

The plot thickens. :-)

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

I had to check to see if I was actually reading the KC Star message boards. The sterotyping and trash talking are frankly childish. Maybe it makes some of you feel better, but I expect more intelligent dialog on KUSports.com.

I realize that part of this is a way of coping with the fact that KU is not being courted from one of the big conferences. If we were, we would be doing the exact same thing MU is currently doing. Most of us are upset that we are not in that position.

Admit it, not being in a conference with MU is a huge negative. Who do we replace them with? TCU, Cincinnati. One of the constants of the stable conference is that the members are primarily large flagship and land grant state universities. Look at the Big 10, SEC and Pac 12. The Big 12 members used to have this profile, but it looks like 4 schools will leave and there are no other schools that fit the profiles that are potential expansion candidates so we will be stuck with large commuter schools and small private universities. That doesn't bode well for academic affliation.

William Blake 2 years, 6 months ago

You can't stop nature from happening. Mizzou is full of Billy Bobs and Betty Jos... the confederate hills are calling them. The mating ritual of lesser evolved species desire to huddle in mass, in the backwoods, under bridges and at meth gatherings. I bet you can't find a can of Spam on the shelves now in Missouri. The herd of antlers are stocking up for a road trip...

I have treasured our rivalry with MU my entire life. Never has there been a better example of how sports can show the difference between right and wrong, enlightenment and illiteracy... How will we teach our children after this rivalry vanishes? We have enjoyed the luxury of pointing a finger towards our eastern border for our children's sake; a simple gesture that says so much; "if you don't finish your homework you could end up there."

The amazing thing of it all... these degenerates are proud of their "heritage" and insist the world take notice to accept their motto as being the "Show Me Inbreeds."

Fortunately, Kansas kids see right through their sorted veil of crack pipes, Boone's Farm and Billy Ray Cyrus cassettes.

Adios, Missouri... and (I'll write this in their language so they understand): "durnt alet du dour hid uuuu n du azzzzz!"

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 6 months ago

Good to hear Coach Self directly address the cost of abandoning rivalries. I would like to hear a similar message from our football program. I'm hoping UT, Baylor and Tech end their games with the Aggies. I don't blame schools for persuing their best interest. However, why would Big12 members assist teams in other conferences in their recruitment, revenue and relevance outside their conference.

BigAl 2 years, 6 months ago

The more this drags on, the more I am in the same camp as T.Boone Pickens when he said "No one cares about Missouri"

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

As a lone Jayhawk flying on Tigerland, let me give all of you a different perspective. What makes any of you think that down deep, Mizzou wants anything more to do with Kansas?

1] Annually beaten in basketball, sometimes twice or more. 2] Consider us dirt scuffling wheat farmers and border murderers [Yes, they think Quantrill is a hero] 3] We are Kansas State's siamese twin. 4] Down deep are jealous they chose Quinny Boy when the could have had Bill. 5] Will forever feel jobbed out of the Orange Bowl. 6] Major National Championship envy. 7] Delusions of grandeuer regarding their own football program [ Heard on radio this morning proof that Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State all have up and coming football programs.....and this is the lower half of the SEC!!!] 8]Have a Confederate flag hung in the locker room [well...I made that up ...but it could be true!!!] 9] Would tell the SEC in a nanosecond to F%$# off, if the Big 10 called them right now. 10] I would find myself cheering for Kentucky twice a year.....when they played Missouri!!

Posted with total malice intended!! :)

cg1029 2 years, 6 months ago

Self has the right Idea... KU is the brand name here not MU... The field house is going to be sold out for a nonconferance game vs Emporia State or Duke what differance does it make if we play MU? If we go to MU it will be one of the only times The Paige will be sold out all year... Why give MU a payday?

If MU leaves I would much rather play a tough nonconferance game and learn something about our team as opposed to another 30+ point beatdown of MIU.

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know why anyone is worried about the fate of the Big 12 if Mizzery leaves. They bring very little to the table for the conference and it's not like they're the ones holding everything together. Losing MU would be like losing your pinky-toe: probably don't want to, but once it's gone you'll almost never miss it.

I'd only start worrying if Oklahoma or Texas gets uppity and decides to reopen realignment. But since they were rebuffed by the PAC 12, they're forced to make this conference work come hell or high water.

As for joining the Big East, the more likely scenario is that they join us. UConn, Rutgers, and WVU all appear to want out. Louisville, Cincinatti, and TCU would make sense with us geographically and open up new recruiting avenues in Kentucky and Ohio. Outside the Big East, there's BYU, Boise St., and Memphis who we should be looking at as well.

Really, in order to re-stabilize the Big 12 and ensure its future, we shouldn't be looking at merely replacing members to go back to 10 or 12, but we should move aggressively to become the first super conference and leave the others scrambling to catch us. KU, ISU, KSU, OU, OSU, UT, Baylor, TT, Louisville, Cincy, TCU, BYU, Memphis, SMU, UTEP, and Boise St? No MU. Looks like a strong conference to me, so who needs the Mizzery?

bravestool 2 years, 6 months ago

This is the kind for fortitude i'm looking for from KU's administration. GOD Bless Toup Self, but it would be nice if it came from our AD or beter yet our Chancellor. Our administration's repeated statements about the commitment to the floundering Big 12 is becoming more and more irritating. With Missouri out of the picture I'm going to go ahead and assume that Louisville is as well; no longer makes geographic sense. I cant tell you how excited I am with the expansion candidates of the little sister texas schools. I mean nothing screams drive to lawrence more than watch the fighting Turner Squeals lose to SMU. No thanks; I'll be in my backyard raking an endless sea of leaves.

bravestool 2 years, 6 months ago

Sally Presson 2 years, 6 months ago

Way to go Bill, we do not want to play those turn coats EVER unless it's for a playoff and we have to, but then the possibilities of that are slim to none. They are so full of themselves to think they can compete in the SEC, especially in football, it will be a pleasure to watch them fail.

Stick to your guns Coach Self!!

IrishDaddy 2 years, 6 months ago

Mr BS is full of it..............

bennybob 2 years, 6 months ago

This is just postering on Selfs part on behalf of the league.

One of the big selling points for remaining in the conference is the possibility of losing long standing rivalries.

On the flip side, its going to hurt KU just as much if not more if the KU-MU rivalry ends, and the fans, the media, and specially the almighty dollar will dictate the match ups continue.

Self can't state that out right because it weakens the "stay in conference" argument for MU, which the rest of the Big 12 doesn't want.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

I love it when Coach Self gets chippy! You don't have to figure out when the coach needs to display a little honesty, in regard to Missery. Self has our best interests at heart. Would I like to see us continue to clobber MU every year, especially in basketball? Yep, I would. With them looking to explore to change conferences, I say, "good riddance." And, as the old adage comes to mind, "be careful what you wish for!" The Tigers will not be very successful in the SEC. They would be wishing that they stayed in the Big 12, if they move elsewhere. Thanks coach Self for being our coach. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

LogicMan 2 years, 6 months ago

Now's the time for the Big 10 to publicly state they'd consider expanding again. It's their last chance at the KU/MU AAU pair, and maybe ISU and KSU. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

jephweiser 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't get all this talk about how MIZZOU should stay in the Big 12 b/c it has a better chance of winning than it will in the SEC. This is a school that has never won a Big 12 championship or played in a BCS game in football and have never been to a final four or won the league in basketball. I say take your mediocrity elsewhere. You're only coveted b/c you have more people in your state (who have way more in common with the folks in Mississippi and Alabama anyway)

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 6 months ago

You guys are all speaking as if Mizzoodle's departure would be the best thing ever for Kansas. Not true. It would create more instability in what's left of the Big 12 and pushes us closer to the brink of not having a BCS conference to play in (assuming Bernadette Gray-Little and Sheahon Zenger are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses).

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 6 months ago

good for Coach Self. and thank God for Coach Self speaking his mind. he of course, is exactly right....and what i've been saying all along.

there is no competitive reason for KU mens bball to play them any longer if we're not in the same league. makes no sense whatsoever. no recruiting advantages gained, and all we would be doing is helping THEM.

Moo has always coveted the Big 10...and now they are all dressed up for the SEC. if Missouri stays in the Big 12 it will be because the SEC rejected them....that's the only way. it won't be about "well, we looked at our options and we decided on staying in this league...." nope, the SEC will have said no, and they'll have to crawl back.

the Tiggers are all hype all the time. they're in constant campaign mode, some of the biggest whiners because of athletic events on and off the field that you'll ever see.

no matter what happens, it won't be pretty for 'ol Misery.

REHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

The poor old Top 10 rated Huskers found out Saturday what it is like to watch their football team tumble in disgrace, attempting to adjust to a new conference situation. I hope they enjoy wallowing in the big bucks, luxuriating in athletic ignomy. As far as I am concerned, Bill Self never again schedules a hoops contest with them or A&M. Turncoat competitors who sold out their Big 12 allies for the promise of more dollars. Same for Missouri, if Deaton and crew choose to bolt. Even the thought that they are considering such a move, at a time when our league needs solidarity, makes me want to puke. And I am a rural Missouri resident.

rob4lb 2 years, 6 months ago

I really not sure what purpose Coach Self's statement serves other than to inspire a group of fans who believe KU has options beyond the Big 12 which they don't. His statement will have zero impact on MU's decision on which conference to join.

Marc Frey 2 years, 6 months ago

I would hate to see Mizzery go, but in the big scheme of things, not a big deal. If they feel that they will be better in the SEC or Big 10+ then let them graze in the greener pastures. Like CU, NU, and A and M, they will come to realize that they left the Big 12 which is a top conference.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

If I were in MU's shoes, I'd leave. The Big 12 as currently configured, is not on stable ground, and if a school has a good option they're wise to take it, or at least use it as leverage to try to get Texas to make more concessions. An article I read the other day speculated that MU wanted to get at least a 10 year commitment on handing over TV rights from all member schools, while the current tentative agreement is only 6. Let's hope MU is using this new found leverage to push for a better deal for all of us. It makes sense for them to stay in the Big 12, but only if they can be sure the Big 12 is on stable ground for the long term. Bottom line, let's hope they're bluffing, and using this to get a better long term deal for all of us.

All of that having been said, I agree with Coach Self. If they do take the leap, let's not allow them their cake and the opportunity to eat it too. I would have no desire to play them ever again.

RockCaCO3 2 years, 6 months ago

Bills getting testy and I LOVE IT!

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 6 months ago

If they want to leave the Big 12, then good riddance. We should never schedule them again.

Jaminrawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Screw MIZZOU. We beat them every year anyway. It's not even a rivalry anymore other than them running their mouths and our team crushing them every time. If they go to the SEC I say good riddance. Get use to Kentucky using you the same way, MIZZOU. And the SEC is going to be the undoing of their football program. 8-10 wins a year to 6-7 isn't going to be worth it. Deaton, Alden and Pinkel will be on the unemployment line in 5-6 years if they bolt.

chaggs 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow. Way to give MU incentive to leave. Two fewer losses per season might entice them going to the SEC.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Self, you are the man. It's goo to know that we have on working up there in the athletic office. Thank you MU, I now have an additional reason to hate you and that dump of a town you live in.

Ryan Lee 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike Young 2 years, 6 months ago

Let them play ARkansas! It's been onesided for ages!

Mike Young 2 years, 6 months ago

Let them play ARkansas! It's been onesided for ages!

Travis Clementsmith 2 years, 6 months ago

Good! No need to help the state of Missouri if they are going to turn their back on the conference.

AZHawk72 2 years, 6 months ago

I am very proud of Coach Self for his stance on people that sign on to a financial situation on one day and then express no loyalty the next day. The morons in the SEC, who will eventually be wearing as many penalities as Ohio-State, are probably what Missouri deserves. The SEC thinks they will gain the TV markets of St. Louis and Kansas City. As a native of KC, I would never watch them again if I lived there. Lets see, do I watch Missouri vs. Mississippi-State or last week's Kansas-State/Baylor clash. Gee, that's a tough one.

For those who care about demography, Missouri's support is largely rural as the majority of their two metros are quite complacent (I'm being nice) about them. They need the Big 12, their neighborhood, for credibility. In Nebraska, a hoisted red flag finds the whole state marching behind it. In Missouri, their flag inspires..."...are Michigan or Minnesota playing someone nearby this week." Half of the country feels they are from Jefferson City, which is where they probably should be.

AZHawk72 2 years, 6 months ago

manginorh00lz 2 years, 6 months ago

Woah. Self just earned major respect points back from me...enough to forgive the UNI loss.

CaramelMacchMan 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm with Bill Self here. If MU is doing what is best for them, We are going to do the same. If we continue the series, it would be like we are mizzou's b*tch. If they don't wanna stay in big 12 and save the rivalry, why does KU have to support the rivalry by continuing series while they are in SEC.

KU-MU all time football record. 54-55-9 KU-MU big 12 football record. 7-7-0 (4-1 Home(lawrence), 2-4 away(columbia) 1-2 (natural)

KU-MU all time basketball record. 171-94 KU-MU big 12 basketball record. 24-9

MU almost even when it comes to football with KU MU not even close in basketball with KU

Bottom line: Almost all MU fans want to move to SEC. According to my data, Can we say MU fans have thrown in a white flag? Sure looks like it.

Source: "Kansas Jayhawks Men's basketball " Wikipedia 2011. Wikipedia Foundation Inc..5th Oct. 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Jayhawks_men%27s_basketball

"Kansas Jayhawks Football" Wikipedia 2011. Wikipedia Foundation Inc.. 5th Oct. 2011 < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_J... >

Alohahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like Missery wants another border war. They lost the first, I'm certain they'll lose again. Or maybe they're just tired of losing and want easier competition.

I don't want my post to be edited out, or I'd say what I really think of those.... um... well, use your imagination and you'll know what I'd call them.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 6 months ago

Good for Self. They are taking the first step to damage our "special rivalry", so screw em if they leave.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

Our RPI will skyrocket if we stop playing Mizzou twice a year!

Muck Fizzou