Originally published October 4, 2011 at 11:59p.m., updated October 5, 2011 at 01:28a.m.

Bill Self won’t promise continuation of KU-MU series if Tigers bolt Big 12 for SEC

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as he listens to forward Mario Little's senior speech following the Jayhawks' 64-51 win over Texas A&M on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says he hopes the University of Missouri remains a proud member of the Big 12 Conference.

If the Tigers do decide to bolt for the SEC, however, they will do so aware there’s the chance they’ll never play KU in hoops in the regular season again.

“To me it’s a great rivalry, one of the best in college basketball without question, but I don’t think I would be interested in having a once a year game like I did when I was at Illinois, playing Missouri,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday night.

He was speaking after learning Missouri’s Board of Curators announced it has delegated power to MU chancellor Brady Deaton to explore options for future conference affiliation.

“I could probably change my mind (but) trust me, we would have no trouble finding another nonleague game to play. I love the rivalry (uninterrupted since 1907 with KU leading 171-94). Playing home and home in the league is great and all those things ... (but) I can’t imagine, why would we continue playing?

“If they choose to be somewhere other than with us and with the other schools that they’ve been a part of and could jeopardize the future of the other schools ... I’m not going to make a commitment now that we’d ever play again. I’m not saying we won’t. I’m certainly not going to pretend that we would.”

Self grew animated when it was suggested the media would likely ask for a continuation of the series with perhaps a once-a-year meeting between the Border War combatants in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I’m not saying it would be bad or won’t be bad (playing once on neutral court). I will say this ... the media is not going to dictate who we play. I’ll dictate who we play as long as I’m coaching here,” Self said. “I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can’t see us just taking it and forgetting. I think that would be something that’d be talked about with our administration and we’d make a decision that’s best for our place. They are making a decision that’s best for theirs. We’ll make a decision on a schedule that’s best for us.

“I am not going to schedule Missouri just to schedule Missouri. I’m going to schedule what’s best for us, period. That’s how it’s going to be.”

There’s already precedent for KU not going out of its way to schedule teams that flee the league.

“We’re not playing Nebraska,” Self said of the Huskers, who like Missouri, are within close geographic proximity to KU. “There are other schools we could certainly try to find games with. That will be sad for a lot of fans if it comes to that,” he added of the end of the KU-MU rivalry. “Hopefully it won’t. Hopefully they’ll want to stay and be part of the Big 12.”

Self stressed that any future scheduling decisions would be made after seeing “how our league plays out. Our league schedule will determine what we do nonconference. I don’t think we would feel we owe anybody or any other school in our league would feel we owe anybody anything that leave. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t continue a relationship. To think we HAVE to do it, there’s no ‘have to’ at all. Only way we do it is if it’s what’s best for us.

“We will do what’s best for us from a scheduling standpoint. And that will create absolutely no controversy at all.”

Self has no idea what would happen in KU’s other sports if the Tigers leave the league.

“I don’t know how the football program feels. I am not into scheduling (football). Unless it’s mandated from above, I want to play who I want to play,” he said. “I’m not saying it wouldn’t be them (Tigers), I’m certainly not. We can’t assume they’d play us.”

One thing is for sure ... “Of course I want them to stay. I want to play them twice a year in the league. They want to play us twice a year in the league. It’s great,” Self said.

Zenger says

"We value our longstanding conference rivalry with Missouri. We believe the midwest deserves a strong conference for student-athletes, fans and alumni, and it is our desire that Missouri stay committed - as Kansas is - to the Big 12 Conference." - Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years ago

Our RPI will skyrocket if we stop playing Mizzou twice a year!

Muck Fizzou

Hammertoe 4 years ago

Jealous. It's about Football, something KU sucks at. You aren't even the best football team in the state.

LSHawk 4 years ago

Good luck with being the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC, probably worse than that after losing your recruiting grounds in Texas.

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

Hammertoe is a known purple tabby kitten, don't read or respond to anything he says.

Jaminrawk 4 years ago

No one is jealous of the SEC. I would hate going to a new conference when my team's primary sports team will be downgraded. Your football program is going to middle of the road at best. Get use to the Beef 'O Brady Bowl.

BigAl 4 years ago

Hammertoe, you still don't get it. If it is all about football, why is KU one of the top schools in the Big12 in money payout? Over the past several years, KU is either 3rd or 4th in earnings while KSU is towards the bottom. This is simple proof that basketball does play a part.

kureader 4 years ago

Get a life. Go back to your own blog, Purpletoe.

Damian Glaze 4 years ago

Fact: KU has been 3rd in total revenue (generated by Big 12 TV contracts) in the Big 12 regularly over the past 3-5 years. KU is regularly in the top 20 of all Division one schools in tototal revenue generated from athletics.

Football is a major money maker, but don't discount the amount of money that is generated by KU basketball. KU generates almost $40 million more revenue from sports than KState. Feel free to look for yourself:

Sam Constance 4 years ago

Only a Misery fan would be watching his school on the verge of p*ssing away a hundred year rivalry, to get bludgeoned in the academic-void that is the SEC on a regular basis and puff his chest out proclaiming that Jayhawk fans were "jealous".

Jealous of the SEC? Not quite. In fact, I'd be on here ripping my school's administration a new one if it were looking even remotely possible that a move to the SEC were coming.

But thanks for the laugh Cameltoe.

Oops--sorry, that was a typo. Hammertoe.

baldwinjhawk 4 years ago

Here's the thing. The SEC wants virgina tech...period. Mizzou is throwing themselves at another conference again.. good luck with that (how'd that work out for you with the big 10?

Joe Baker 4 years ago

They offer nothing to any conference and they need to stay put. How dumb can you be after the Comish just worked out the tv deals to be shared equally among the schools?

Oh well, if they want to bolt, bye. Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

Again, fizzou gets caught with their pants down yet again and they are bassakwards on everything.

LogicMan 4 years ago

My guess is the SEC wants three more schools, to get to 16. So they are trying for the best available. VaTech and FSU, very likely. MU too. But maybe WVU in place of one of those, and the darkhorses are OU, OSU, and even ... UT. Wouldn't that be great if A&M didn't really escape UT?

hawk316 4 years ago

MU to Coach Self: "Tell us, what are the chances that if we bolt from the Big XII that you'll keep scheduling us in basketball...1 in 10? 1 in 100?"

Self to MU: "I'd say more like 1 in a million."

MU to Self: "So, you're telling us we still have a chance?"

Dumb and Dumber.

xjohnx 4 years ago

know what else will raise your RPI? If you stopped losing to teams like VCU.

ffletch 4 years ago

Your team does not even get to teams like VCU. You just have to watch KU and be a hater.

Lance Cheney 4 years ago

RPI isn't affected much by post-season tournament games. So even if we would have beat VCU, it wouldn't affect our RPI... Moron.

David Lara 4 years ago

Wow. Allow me to translate for you: "Hey, look at me everybody! I don't have a friggin clue what RPI means! Weehoooo!"

Brendan Connolly 4 years ago

Good for Self. They are taking the first step to damage our "special rivalry", so screw em if they leave.

Alohahawk 4 years ago

Sounds like Missery wants another border war. They lost the first, I'm certain they'll lose again. Or maybe they're just tired of losing and want easier competition.

I don't want my post to be edited out, or I'd say what I really think of those.... um... well, use your imagination and you'll know what I'd call them.

doctorWho 4 years ago

What they really want is to enter a conference where their future NCAA violations will likely be overlooked next to the follies of their new brethren . . .

CaramelMacchMan 4 years ago

I'm with Bill Self here. If MU is doing what is best for them, We are going to do the same. If we continue the series, it would be like we are mizzou's b*tch. If they don't wanna stay in big 12 and save the rivalry, why does KU have to support the rivalry by continuing series while they are in SEC.

KU-MU all time football record. 54-55-9 KU-MU big 12 football record. 7-7-0 (4-1 Home(lawrence), 2-4 away(columbia) 1-2 (natural)

KU-MU all time basketball record. 171-94 KU-MU big 12 basketball record. 24-9

MU almost even when it comes to football with KU MU not even close in basketball with KU

Bottom line: Almost all MU fans want to move to SEC. According to my data, Can we say MU fans have thrown in a white flag? Sure looks like it.

Source: "Kansas Jayhawks Men's basketball " Wikipedia 2011. Wikipedia Foundation Inc..5th Oct. 2011

"Kansas Jayhawks Football" Wikipedia 2011. Wikipedia Foundation Inc.. 5th Oct. 2011 < >

Hammertoe 4 years ago

It hurts to feel unwanted? If Mizzou leaves, get ready to join the Big East along with K-State, Iowa State, Baylor....

ccarp 4 years ago

Actually, KSU and ISU would be huddling together in the Valley or conference USA. Your dead weight is not holding us back. Good luck paying for your stadium renovations after your football program ceases to exist. Then KU will be the only football program in the state. RIP KSU and WSU football.

Hammertoe 4 years ago

that will never happen. Ku has a "football program"... ? Ku and K-state will be connected at the hip forever. The power of the state legislature trumps all other power. Get used to it... .

BigAl 4 years ago

KSU has a football program? KU holds a huge lead in all time wins between the two. KU has played in and won a BCS bowl. KSU has never played in a BCS bowl. KSU has exactly one more Big12 championship than KU. One. If the Big12 folds, KSU will be lucky to hang on to KU's basketball program and follow them to another conference. Get used to it.....

Jeff Coffman 4 years ago

Not that I am a fan of the purple headed step-child, but they have played in a BCS game. They beat an undefeated OU team, I believe in 2002 or 2004, OU still played USC for the national championship, which was later vacated. KSU played in the fiesta bowl, but don't know who against, but I know they lost.

chris1425 4 years ago

Congrats on your Orange Bowl victory it was stunning. You're right, KSU has ONLY one more B12 Championship than you... of course you have to play in one to win one. We have played in three - oh and beat you the last two years by a combined score of 76 - 17. So hold onto your dream that KU Basketball will save the day.

BigAl 4 years ago

Like it or not, KU basketball is nationally much bigger than KSU football, basketball and anything else combined. Period. If this conference folds, KSU better hope that KU brings them along as a package.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

Speaking of dreams... let me know when you wake up from the one about KSU football being of any national interest whatsoever.

Wildcat fans have done a bang-up job of convincing themselves that the little decade-and-a-half run that Snyder took them on put them in the collective minds of the national college football scene, but alas, it's all for naught.

Meanwhile, KU is a nationally recognized brand. Granted, you can stick your nose up at the fact that said national brand is all due to the basketball team, but it doesn't change the fact that people on the coasts know what KU Basketball is. I doubt you'll find even a fraction of that level of familiarity with KSU football.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Thats funny, I seem to remember a certain Governor Brownback say something along the lines that while it is preferable that the two schools stay together they are not totally Inseparable. That is so...If the Big 10, PAC 12 or ACC want KU they can go by themselves answer.

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

So what exactly do you think the state legislature is going to do, hammerhead? The Board of Regents is appointed by the governor and affirmed by the senate. They are not an actual legislative body. I have heard them indicate they want to keep KU and KSU together, but I don't think they have the power or the desire to stop KU from going its own way if that is what is best for KU in the long run. Besides, if you are going to come on our site and bash our school, don't you think your argument would be better if you didn't follow it up with "and daddy would never let you leave the little brother behind"? Get some self respect and post on your own site.

tychi_jayhawk 4 years ago

Not true. You are woefully uninformed. Gotta love all the ignorant purple-heads posting nonsense.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

How cute. This tigger fan thinks his team is wanted.

(Shhhhh. Don't spoil it for him everyone!)

chriz 4 years ago

But still not quite enough to forgive the VCU loss...jk. Really, though, I think Self its very much involved in KU's decision-making process with conference realignment. And that's a good thing. Because otherwise, he might not care whether we play Mis-suck. Because he wouldn't be our coach.

hawk316 4 years ago

Really, mangino? After all Bill Self has done for KU's basketball program, he has to earn respect points from you? I've noticed your disparaging remarks concerning Turner Gill, as well. I'm just wondering, is there any KU coach with whom you do not have "issues?"

AZHawk72 4 years ago

I am very proud of Coach Self for his stance on people that sign on to a financial situation on one day and then express no loyalty the next day. The morons in the SEC, who will eventually be wearing as many penalities as Ohio-State, are probably what Missouri deserves. The SEC thinks they will gain the TV markets of St. Louis and Kansas City. As a native of KC, I would never watch them again if I lived there. Lets see, do I watch Missouri vs. Mississippi-State or last week's Kansas-State/Baylor clash. Gee, that's a tough one.

For those who care about demography, Missouri's support is largely rural as the majority of their two metros are quite complacent (I'm being nice) about them. They need the Big 12, their neighborhood, for credibility. In Nebraska, a hoisted red flag finds the whole state marching behind it. In Missouri, their flag inspires..."...are Michigan or Minnesota playing someone nearby this week." Half of the country feels they are from Jefferson City, which is where they probably should be.

Travis Clementsmith 4 years ago

Good! No need to help the state of Missouri if they are going to turn their back on the conference.

Mike Young 4 years ago

Let them play ARkansas! It's been onesided for ages!

Mike Young 4 years ago

Let them play ARkansas! It's been onesided for ages!

AZHawk72 4 years ago

Phoghorn 4 years ago

Phoghorn kicks himself because he read that comment, but can not remember what it said...

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years ago

Mr. Self, you are the man. It's goo to know that we have on working up there in the athletic office. Thank you MU, I now have an additional reason to hate you and that dump of a town you live in.

Kenny Nall 4 years ago

My thoughts exactly. Thank you Self for always eloquently addressing what Jayhawk nation is thinking and honestly pursuing our best interests!

Anyway, Mizzou, you can depart the Big 12, make some more money and watch your athletic program descend into the black hole that is collegiate athletics in the southeastern part of the country.

Muck Fizzou

chaggs 4 years ago

Wow. Way to give MU incentive to leave. Two fewer losses per season might entice them going to the SEC.

Alex Berger 4 years ago

Uh if they are scared of losses why would they move their football program to the SEC?

Alan Braun 4 years ago

They won't have 2 fewer losses. The losses will just be to UK instead of KU.

Jaminrawk 4 years ago

Screw MIZZOU. We beat them every year anyway. It's not even a rivalry anymore other than them running their mouths and our team crushing them every time. If they go to the SEC I say good riddance. Get use to Kentucky using you the same way, MIZZOU. And the SEC is going to be the undoing of their football program. 8-10 wins a year to 6-7 isn't going to be worth it. Deaton, Alden and Pinkel will be on the unemployment line in 5-6 years if they bolt.

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

If they want to leave the Big 12, then good riddance. We should never schedule them again.

RockCaCO3 4 years ago

Bills getting testy and I LOVE IT!

jhox 4 years ago

If I were in MU's shoes, I'd leave. The Big 12 as currently configured, is not on stable ground, and if a school has a good option they're wise to take it, or at least use it as leverage to try to get Texas to make more concessions. An article I read the other day speculated that MU wanted to get at least a 10 year commitment on handing over TV rights from all member schools, while the current tentative agreement is only 6. Let's hope MU is using this new found leverage to push for a better deal for all of us. It makes sense for them to stay in the Big 12, but only if they can be sure the Big 12 is on stable ground for the long term. Bottom line, let's hope they're bluffing, and using this to get a better long term deal for all of us.

All of that having been said, I agree with Coach Self. If they do take the leap, let's not allow them their cake and the opportunity to eat it too. I would have no desire to play them ever again.

Marc Frey 4 years ago

I would hate to see Mizzery go, but in the big scheme of things, not a big deal. If they feel that they will be better in the SEC or Big 10+ then let them graze in the greener pastures. Like CU, NU, and A and M, they will come to realize that they left the Big 12 which is a top conference.

Leo Hawkins 4 years ago

MU can go anywhere it wants to go. It doesn't matter. They will still be a middle-of-the-road athletic program --- at best. MU is a blip in the college football and basketball radar. If they think playing in the BIG XII is tough (no conference championship in 15 years of its existence), just wait until they get in the SEC or B1G. Their place in college athletics will remain as it is -- subpar.

rob4lb 4 years ago

I really not sure what purpose Coach Self's statement serves other than to inspire a group of fans who believe KU has options beyond the Big 12 which they don't. His statement will have zero impact on MU's decision on which conference to join.

REHawk 4 years ago

The poor old Top 10 rated Huskers found out Saturday what it is like to watch their football team tumble in disgrace, attempting to adjust to a new conference situation. I hope they enjoy wallowing in the big bucks, luxuriating in athletic ignomy. As far as I am concerned, Bill Self never again schedules a hoops contest with them or A&M. Turncoat competitors who sold out their Big 12 allies for the promise of more dollars. Same for Missouri, if Deaton and crew choose to bolt. Even the thought that they are considering such a move, at a time when our league needs solidarity, makes me want to puke. And I am a rural Missouri resident.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years ago

good for Coach Self. and thank God for Coach Self speaking his mind. he of course, is exactly right....and what i've been saying all along.

there is no competitive reason for KU mens bball to play them any longer if we're not in the same league. makes no sense whatsoever. no recruiting advantages gained, and all we would be doing is helping THEM.

Moo has always coveted the Big 10...and now they are all dressed up for the SEC. if Missouri stays in the Big 12 it will be because the SEC rejected them....that's the only way. it won't be about "well, we looked at our options and we decided on staying in this league...." nope, the SEC will have said no, and they'll have to crawl back.

the Tiggers are all hype all the time. they're in constant campaign mode, some of the biggest whiners because of athletic events on and off the field that you'll ever see.

no matter what happens, it won't be pretty for 'ol Misery.

jephweiser 4 years ago

I don't get all this talk about how MIZZOU should stay in the Big 12 b/c it has a better chance of winning than it will in the SEC. This is a school that has never won a Big 12 championship or played in a BCS game in football and have never been to a final four or won the league in basketball. I say take your mediocrity elsewhere. You're only coveted b/c you have more people in your state (who have way more in common with the folks in Mississippi and Alabama anyway)

LogicMan 4 years ago

Now's the time for the Big 10 to publicly state they'd consider expanding again. It's their last chance at the KU/MU AAU pair, and maybe ISU and KSU. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Mike Kendall 4 years ago

I love it when Coach Self gets chippy! You don't have to figure out when the coach needs to display a little honesty, in regard to Missery. Self has our best interests at heart. Would I like to see us continue to clobber MU every year, especially in basketball? Yep, I would. With them looking to explore to change conferences, I say, "good riddance." And, as the old adage comes to mind, "be careful what you wish for!" The Tigers will not be very successful in the SEC. They would be wishing that they stayed in the Big 12, if they move elsewhere. Thanks coach Self for being our coach. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Ben Simonett 4 years ago

This is just postering on Selfs part on behalf of the league.

One of the big selling points for remaining in the conference is the possibility of losing long standing rivalries.

On the flip side, its going to hurt KU just as much if not more if the KU-MU rivalry ends, and the fans, the media, and specially the almighty dollar will dictate the match ups continue.

Self can't state that out right because it weakens the "stay in conference" argument for MU, which the rest of the Big 12 doesn't want.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

How, exactly, does the cessation of the MU/KU rivalry hurt KU?

Obviously, all else being equal, most fans would prefer this rivalry continue. It's interesting and occasionally generates national attention.

But in terms of "hurting" KU, I'm not so sure.

It doesn't really have an adverse affect on recruiting. It doesn't really change the amount of revenue coming into the school.

What's the problem? (other than a century-old rivalry going away because MU is insecure--which is certainly a problem, but one that MU clearly doesn't give a crap about)

Sally Presson 4 years ago

Way to go Bill, we do not want to play those turn coats EVER unless it's for a playoff and we have to, but then the possibilities of that are slim to none. They are so full of themselves to think they can compete in the SEC, especially in football, it will be a pleasure to watch them fail.

Stick to your guns Coach Self!!

Brad Potter 4 years ago

This is the kind for fortitude i'm looking for from KU's administration. GOD Bless Toup Self, but it would be nice if it came from our AD or beter yet our Chancellor. Our administration's repeated statements about the commitment to the floundering Big 12 is becoming more and more irritating. With Missouri out of the picture I'm going to go ahead and assume that Louisville is as well; no longer makes geographic sense. I cant tell you how excited I am with the expansion candidates of the little sister texas schools. I mean nothing screams drive to lawrence more than watch the fighting Turner Squeals lose to SMU. No thanks; I'll be in my backyard raking an endless sea of leaves.

Brad Potter 4 years ago

cg1029 4 years ago

Self has the right Idea... KU is the brand name here not MU... The field house is going to be sold out for a nonconferance game vs Emporia State or Duke what differance does it make if we play MU? If we go to MU it will be one of the only times The Paige will be sold out all year... Why give MU a payday?

If MU leaves I would much rather play a tough nonconferance game and learn something about our team as opposed to another 30+ point beatdown of MIU.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

As a lone Jayhawk flying on Tigerland, let me give all of you a different perspective. What makes any of you think that down deep, Mizzou wants anything more to do with Kansas?

1] Annually beaten in basketball, sometimes twice or more. 2] Consider us dirt scuffling wheat farmers and border murderers [Yes, they think Quantrill is a hero] 3] We are Kansas State's siamese twin. 4] Down deep are jealous they chose Quinny Boy when the could have had Bill. 5] Will forever feel jobbed out of the Orange Bowl. 6] Major National Championship envy. 7] Delusions of grandeuer regarding their own football program [ Heard on radio this morning proof that Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State all have up and coming football programs.....and this is the lower half of the SEC!!!] 8]Have a Confederate flag hung in the locker room [well...I made that up ...but it could be true!!!] 9] Would tell the SEC in a nanosecond to F%$# off, if the Big 10 called them right now. 10] I would find myself cheering for Kentucky twice a year.....when they played Missouri!!

Posted with total malice intended!! :)

Woody Cragg 4 years ago

I like the vision Oak, and no cacca, the Conf flag really does fly just outside of Columbia in several rural areas. I've seen it. They'd be far better off with their Big 12 conf whoppins' for sure, but I won't miss them one iota. We'll see if they have the cahonies to finish what they started last year. Personally I think they squat to pee!

texashawk10 4 years ago

Tigers can't fly like Jayhawks. A Tiger may be bigger than a Jayhawk, but a Jayhawk can fly around all day crapping all over Tigers.

KCRvrRnnr 4 years ago

Actually, this is the one exception I would make.

I would want to see Mizzou get hammered by the Little Sisters of the Poor....but even I can't cheer for the evil moneymonger John Calipari against Missouri.

Watching Anderson's kids knock Memphis out of the tourney the year after our championship was priceless....and the only time I have ever rooted for Missouri. In the SEC, my wish would be for them to go 2-12 (or however many conference games end up being played) each year in hoops, so long as their wins are against Kentucky.

BigAl 4 years ago

The more this drags on, the more I am in the same camp as T.Boone Pickens when he said "No one cares about Missouri"

kureader 4 years ago

Yeah, Mizzuri continues to "outdumb" themselves ... and no one cares about them (including the SEC).

But, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm in the same camp as T Boone Pickens. The guy's a egomaniac that can't stay away from the cameras. They guy absolutely loves to see his name in print, and he continually upstages the athletic administration and other university officials at Oklahoma State. He needs to go back to pumping gas. It's surprising the Oklahoma State even has an Athletic Director ... what does the guy do, just make coffee for Pickens?

Jeff Schartz 4 years ago

Grandpa Simpson said it best: "I'll be dead and cold in the hard, hard ground before I will recognize Missouri as a state!"

Ludwig Supraphonic 4 years ago

Good to hear Coach Self directly address the cost of abandoning rivalries. I would like to hear a similar message from our football program. I'm hoping UT, Baylor and Tech end their games with the Aggies. I don't blame schools for persuing their best interest. However, why would Big12 members assist teams in other conferences in their recruitment, revenue and relevance outside their conference.

PhogAdvisory 4 years ago

Coffee Spit-Out Moment of the Day.

Thanks for the laugh, slayr.

100 4 years ago

1 post in the history of the Milky Way. Alltime. Ever.

If this post doesn't make Missouri's curators want to stay, I can't think of anything that will. I mean... You even wrote it in their own language!!!!

We're shaking in our boots Missouri curators!!!!

Oh please don't go!!!!

rhollinshed 4 years ago

Slay! You just made my day withthat post! it is by far the best thing I've seen today! Still LOL!

rob4lb 4 years ago

I had to check to see if I was actually reading the KC Star message boards. The sterotyping and trash talking are frankly childish. Maybe it makes some of you feel better, but I expect more intelligent dialog on

I realize that part of this is a way of coping with the fact that KU is not being courted from one of the big conferences. If we were, we would be doing the exact same thing MU is currently doing. Most of us are upset that we are not in that position.

Admit it, not being in a conference with MU is a huge negative. Who do we replace them with? TCU, Cincinnati. One of the constants of the stable conference is that the members are primarily large flagship and land grant state universities. Look at the Big 10, SEC and Pac 12. The Big 12 members used to have this profile, but it looks like 4 schools will leave and there are no other schools that fit the profiles that are potential expansion candidates so we will be stuck with large commuter schools and small private universities. That doesn't bode well for academic affliation.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

1) Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for being so civilized.

2) We have no idea if ANYONE is being "courted" by one of the big conferences. It's just as possible that no one is courting EITHER MU or KU. Or maybe there are conferences courting both, and KU sees a more promising future in the Big 12 and sees no value in taking actions that would possibly harm that future. Missouri isn't quite as capable of forethought.

3) MU being gone is a negative. We all enjoy the border war rivalry. It's fun, interesting, unique (given the close ties to a real-life civil war) and it would be a shame to see it go. However, if you remove the sentimentality and historic nature of the rivalry, Missouri is no better a conference-mate than say... TCU.

4) I see no connection between stability and the "flagship and land grant" state universities. Clearly that status hasn't made the current alignment any more stable.

Travis Clementsmith 4 years ago

I think you're off on this one rob4lb. Its obvious MU is going to do whatever they do despite the rivalry. What may become of the Big XII cannot be known, but even if we are without options to pursue, there is absolutely no way in hell we should reward Mizzou for destabilizing it further. Our best chance is in a midwestern conference. There is no guarantee any of the other conferences are going to expand and take us. If Mizzou stays, we do have a chance. if they go, that chance decreases. So, yes, I'm pissed at Mizzou for this and I don't think we should have anything more to do with them if this is their course of action.

I really feel bad for KC, even though I don't live there any longer. But there is no reason KU or the Big XII should put money inthe coffers of Missouri or MU. No reason whatsoever.

jaybate 4 years ago

Again, why does MU jump for TV money, but OU does not?

Why does NU jump for TV money, but OU does not?

The plot thickens. :-)

rob4lb 4 years ago

OU tried and was turned down by the Pac 12 who would only take them with UT. If OU wanted to go to the SEC, they would be taken in a nanosecond over MU. I'm not sure the SEC would want both OSU and OU.

jaybate 4 years ago

Actually, OU was not turned down by the Pac12. OU elected not to leave when UT BOR nixed the deal.

So, if football TV revenues drive realignment, why doesn't OU jump to SEC, where they would be a better add than TAM?

Something else drives alignment decisions other than football TV revenues.

What could it be? :-)

rob4lb 4 years ago

OU has stated it does not want to join the SEC. If they wanted to join, they could. They clearly wanted to join the Pac-12. No one really knows what happened with the Pac-12 decision. I believe OU wanted to join with or without UT. I think they thought they would get invited even UT couldn't come to some agreement with the LHN. The Pac-12 decided against taking the OK schools without Texas. Whether the tie to OSU was a big anchor is a subject for speculation.

boknowssports 4 years ago

But OU was told, by the Pac, no Texas, no deal. So OU tried to save face.

rhollinshed 4 years ago

I love Bill Self! Tell it like it is! Never pushed into a corner! Bill Self for President! I love the way you represent Kansas U! No one else can say what you say and mean it! It would be a shame if money drove MU to the SEC but if that is what they be it! I wouldn't want to play them at Arrowhead. That boosts the Missouri economy. Why would we do that? It would be foolish. That is what Bill Self jut told us!

LogicMan 4 years ago

They can drive to Lawrence.

And maybe OP or KCKS will build facilities.

Has a BB game ever been played outdoors? Weather permitting, the new soccer stadium would be an interesting place for a game.

CloveK 4 years ago

Would be pretty cool. Gimmicky maybe, but cool. If they can play one on an aircraft carrier, why not?

jaybate 4 years ago

And why do CBernie and Zenger not move KU to a stable conference instead of forcing Self to recruit uphill? :-)

Why is KU devoted to an unstable conference, but MU is not? :-)

Oh what a tangled web.

And as usual the refrain is trust us. Its all too sensitive to tell us about.

Why is football TV revenue so sensitive? :-)

Answer: It isn't. :-)

But something else sure is.

I wonder what it could be?

trey 4 years ago

Thank you Bill Self. He's the only leader at KU that seems to have a pulse, can speak without a script, say something interesting, and provide inspiration to the fans and alumni. The rest of our leadership team...

BGL - Underwhelming is an "understatement". Zenger - A lot of "rah rah", but seems to have zero connections or influence. Gill - Incompetent (I could say more but what's the point).

I agree with many of the other comments... this undying devotion to the Big12 is getting old. I'd rather hear absolutely nothing (ie, no comment), rather than how we're proud members of the Big12. Which is a joke of a conference. Though good for KU, since we've benefitted big-time from the unequal revenue sharing. Looks like we continue to be in cahoots with Texas.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

I continue not to understand comments like this.

I'm not about to sit here saying that KU's administration is doing everything right, but I have to keep wondering where the hell people like you are getting their information from if it's not your own backside.

How do you have the first clue what BGL and Zenger are actually doing?

The way some of these comments read, we have several big-time college sports insiders contributing to our little community.

I'm all for expressing individual opinions, but it would be nice if they would stay in the realm of "informed" once in awhile. I could get on here and proclaim that alien life was just discovered on the Moon and that Obama plans to use an executive order to legalize pot later this week, but everyone would know I was full of sh*t.

The only difference between those kind of claims and the ones that continually point to KU administrators' incompetence is that mind are intentionally ridiculous, whereas rumor about KU administrators could theoretically be possible. Both are uninformed opinions, however.

Steve Brown 4 years ago

marchphog firswt of all life was discovered on mars, didn't you see the pyramid face that NASAS tried to hide from us. White house doesn't need to legalize pot, you know about 1sty lady new garden back of the west wing right?

the point of a poster blog is that it is all fiction, all conjecture, wishes, dreams, fears, nothing based in fact. That is why the funniest line of all is when JBate says all fiction no malice, 'cause of course it is ALL fiction what all of us post.

but get this a pal of mine's neighbor cuts the grass for the chancellor and heard thru the window that MU actually called to say goodbye last night.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years ago

I'd be bummed to see the rivalry go... but I suppose we could just say "OK Mizzou, we win in hoops, and you win in football.", pack our respective things up and part ways.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

I find the funniest part is that conferences and the Media keep saying "Missouri is attractive because they bring 2 major Markets." Last time I checked Kansas City isn't owned by Mizzou as its dominated by KU. Not to mention that while half of the population of the KC metro does lie on the MO side I'm pretty sure all the money lies on the Kansas side. Also last time I checked the Big 10 didn't seem to care as apparently they know that KU dominates KC market and they have just enough of a foothold in the St. Louis market due to Illinois that they can get TV time there. This is just my opinion on all of this but it seems to me that Mizzou wanting to go to the SEC is just like a little kid running away from home for not getting their way.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Yes but Mizzou as other posters have mentioned has this tendency to think they are really a bigger fish than they are and want more so naturally they think that they are still bowing to texas and oklahoma even though they agreed to share Tier 1 and 2 revenue evenly....They are also irritated by the LHN and seemingly have wanted to separate themselves from KU and Texas for years. Look at it this way Mizzou thinks they are better but money says that Texas, KU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. make far more than then in sports revenue so their solution is to run to another conference. Someone else made the revenue point earlier and I can't find it again so if anyone wants to clarify further please do.

jaybate 4 years ago

I hope we don't lose Kaleb T to the fight over something other than football TV revenues. It would be shame to see Self lose some great prospects, because MU intentionally can't make up its mind.

Phoghorn 4 years ago

Hey, the Mizzou Board of Curators meeting has just been posted online. You can watch it here:

sevenyearhawk 4 years ago

But the REAL question is will Coach Self promise to stay if Kansas isn't a member of a BCS conference?

Well ...

Phoghorn 4 years ago

Shouldn't you be more worried about whether your wildcats will have to forfeit any games under Calipari?

Damian Glaze 4 years ago

jaybate 4 years ago

Great add to the discussion. KU is extremely valuable. So even overall TV revenues are not driving who jumps and who stays.

Some much larger issue is driving realignment.

What could it be?

FLJHK 4 years ago

Jaybate: In the super corridor concepts I have reviewed, Missouri and especially KC seem to be critical links. Don't you think that means MU stays in the Big 12 if the super corridor theory has validity?

PhogAdvisory 4 years ago

That's a really fascinating website, Deke. It's probably fair to take into account that these numbers are from 2008, the year we won both the Orange Bowl and the National Championship, so they could be a little staggered, but it's still worth looking at. Thanks for sharing.

The thing that's interesting to me is how little KU spent in relation to the amount it earned. For those who don't have time to run the numbers themselves: Our "profit" (revenue minus expenses) is about $17 million, which is significantly more than the other top-20 schools. (Texas makes about $10 mill, while the other Top 5 don't even get into double-digits.)

What I'd love to see next is some kind of graph/chart showing where that money goes at the end of the year... I'm a huge supporter of KU athletics, obviously, but it'd be nice to see if some of this was going to academics, too.

Oh, and for the curious: Misery's revenue is $55 mill (about $30 mill less than us). It's expenses are at $52 mill (rounding up; about $13 mill less than us). It's total profit? $4 million.

So, y'know. Suck on that, Mizzou.

Oh, and here's another, more recent (and subdivided) chart from the Big 12.

What's crazy here is how absolutely little profit our football program brings in, and yet we're still ranked #2 in the B12 for total revenue. All hail the Phog, baby.

Scott Gardner 4 years ago

I'm a K-State grad, live in Manhattan, and bleed purple. I hate KU just like KU hates us. However, GOOD FOR BILL SELF! Even though we are enemies on the field/court, it's nice to see everyone (except Misery) working to stick together. I love it! Your coach moved up a notch on my "respect-o-meter".

PhogAdvisory 4 years ago

Thanks, dragonah. It's always great to see how our hatred for Mizery can really bring us Kansans together. :D

jaybate 4 years ago

Self is revealing his Captain Kirk side here, to separate himself from the do nothing strategy of CBernie and ShayZeng.

Its my ship.

Self is also revealing something about his feelings toward media on this.

They aren't telling me who to play.

This is not like Self and may betray some frustration on his own part that he is being kept out of the loop on the real reasons for his administration's approach.

Self may be getting the same "its too sensitive to discuss" advice.

This is one of the weirdest situations I recall.

And Self finally seems to be getting annoyed.

I don't blame ya, coach.

jahawkdave 4 years ago

I love KU Football, but for me this isn't about Football (for me it is not for the decision makers I know it is), fact of life KU is most likely never going to be a football school, I hope I'm wrong.

Let's get in the best basketball situation we can, Basketball is who we are and who we will always be.

CU hoops worthless and gone, Neb even more worthless and gone, A&M hoops just a teaser and gone, and as far as I'm concerned Mizz is far from a rivalry, beating another team almost twice as many times as they have beaten you is not a rivalry, 0 final fours 0 national championships, coaches that leave their school for better jobs..... Misery was average in the Big 12 and can go be below average in the SEC, in both football and basketball.

A hoops conference with Louisville, WV, Memphis, Cinn...? I'll take those any day over CU NU A&M MU.

Isn't it MU that started this whole mess with the Big 10 last year and look where they ended up. I say good riddance.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

While I agree with you that it is very difficult for any school to be good at both football and basketball consistently I disagree with your rivalry argument. Yes we have beat mizzou twice as many times as they have us, however, that is the case with almost all of the opponents that KU plays on a yearly basis so by that argument KU has no basketball rivals. And don't go pull out some thing about us having an even series record with another team that we have only played like 4 times, others have tried that argument and it doesn't stand. Plain and simple KU is dominant over misery in BB but they are still a bitter rival. Heck K-state says we are their rival and our records in FB and BB dictate that we own them too.

jahawkdave 4 years ago

Was just slamming Mizzou, of course it's a rivalry any time you play a team you love to beat and have been playing them for such a long time, let's just say not a very competitive one. If we are going to play an SEC conf team every year, I'd much rather play Kentucky than Mizz. regardless of our Border War history.

FB I'd be fine with continuing to play Mizz. as a non conf. game.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Sorry I just had to check some people have tried to argue nonsense before. But yes KU v Kentucky would be better year in and out or KU V Vanderbilt. But at that point I would rather just play Mich. St from the big 10 or ohio st just to shut that conferences mouth about how "good" their basketball is.

Alohahawk 4 years ago

ROFLMAO. Love the comment that Missery's coaches leave for better jobs. He may have been sacked, but Queenie Snyder ended up coaching some unknown bball team from, I think it was, a backwash place in Texas. And he's probably coaching kindergarten tiddlywinks in skidrow now. Yep, you're right, that would be better than Missery.

blindrabbit 4 years ago

Is KU still going to play Colorado in Boulder; I know it was a big draw for all the KU alums in the Denver area; might be a good idea to continue that competition also keeps the Jayhawk recruiting intact there. Could care less about Nebraska (Wisconsin's whipping boy).

jahawkdave 4 years ago

Used to like attending that game as well, until CU made you buy 3 games to get the KU ticket. KU always seemed to always play down to CU's level in that Boulder game making it closer than it should have been.

Not sure who we have recruited from Colorado since Mark Randall though?

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Last year I would have agreed with you, however, this year Gill has turned a putrid offense into something worth watching....the defense is all that is holding the football back right now. Also this isn't about records, its about money and markets. if it was about records then why on earth is syracuse going to the ACC they aren't much different than KU over the past 10 years. Since 2001 they have had 7 losing football seasons, 2 winning seasons, 1 .500 season with 3 bowl games (2 wins, 1 loss). It is all about market not necessarily football. Football just helps drive tv market data up.

purple_cat 4 years ago

I applaud Coach Self for speaking his mind. As a K-Stater I realize that with our small TV market we do not have much to offer because re-alignment is all about TV money. KU's basketball tradition is their main selling point or they would be in the same boat as Iowa State and us.
Missouri seems to think they are a big time player. Wow, do they ever have delusions of grandeur. Hey Misery, I heard the shrink Nebraska is now seeing might have room on the couch for you.

LogicMan 4 years ago

Hopefully not, but if MU goes to the SEC it does open a big slot in the Big 10 (future Big 16). Then we try to sell them on the KU/KSU pair, and hopefully ISU too,

Is KSU overtly working on getting into the AAU? If so, what's needed?

Michael Potter 4 years ago

Norm Stewart must be rolling over in his grave right now.

Mike Kendall 4 years ago

Norm might not have kicked the bucket yet but he definitely has kicked other things while he was coaching the Tiggers. That was a funny comment by upinsmoke, though.

Michael Maris 4 years ago

Well, here we go again with the Male Soap Opera show.

Here is the list of the Kansas Board of Regents (serving all public Universities in the State of Kansas).

Andy Tompkins, Undergrad at East Central State in Ada, Oklahoma, Masters at Emporia State and Doctorates at University of Kansas

Ed McKechnie, Undergrad at Pittsburg State University

Dan Lykins, Undergrad at Kansas State, Juris Doctorate at Washburn

Tim Emert, Undergrad at U. of Kansas

Mildred Edwards, Undergrad at Wichita State

Christine Downey-Schmidt, Undergrad at Wichita State

Janie Perkins, Undergrad at Newman University (Wichita, Kansas)

So, these are the people who are going to decide the fate of University of Kansas Athletics in the future. Wichita State fans hate University of Kansas.

I'm telling you. If Bernadette Gray-Little and her administration are sitting on their hands. Then, Kansas Athletics won't amount to anything in the future. I view this situation as to many people sitting on the Kansas Board of Regents that will NOT be looking out for the best interest of Kansas Athletics. They will do their best to force Kansas to have tag-along Kansas State being tied to the tail feathers of the Jayhawks.

Matt Tait, I don't see that the silence and the constant comments of Kansas is commited to the Big XII Conference is helping the fans of University of Kansas. It is looking more and more like U. of Kansas is becoming more and more like the University of Idaho. Out in the Middle of no-where.

Michael Maris 4 years ago

The following is displayed on

Fans Leaving

Even though Kansas held a halftime lead over Texas Tech, not all the fans decided to return to the stadium for the second half. This wasn't lost on the players.

"It's tough on us because we're beating a Big 12 opponent at halftime then we come out of the locker room and see everybody walk out, it's kind of like well thanks for the support. It's something we can't focus on," Webb said. "We have to try and play our game no matter what. It definitely hurts when you're playing well and there isn't much support."

39,000 fans bought tickets. Then, they leave at halftime of the Football Game. I do NOT understand that mentality. If you bought the damn tickets to a football game, then you don't stay for the whole game. Why do you even bother to buy the damn ticket in the 1st place. Everytime I purchased a ticket to attend a KU football game. I stayed for the entire game. Otherwise, just stay home and watch the game on TV. Course, if KU Football gets back to the way it was back in the 80's, it WON'T MATTER.

Cause, those of us that are fans damn well remember what KU football was like in the 80's.

Scott Oswalt 4 years ago

Maybe Memorial should start selling beer. It would be a win/win situation. Fans would more than likely stay passed half-time and it would also generate more revenue for the school. Yes, fans would get more rowdy, but the louder the better, right?!?! Unless there is some rules and regulations that prevent selling alcohol on campus, this would be a great idea. KSU can sell booze on campus...

Michael Maris 4 years ago

So, it takes beer to get you to a game? Well, that is a poor execuse that you won't attend a football game (or stay for the full game) due to the fact that beer isn't sold at KU Football Games.

I'm betting that beer isn't sold at Allen Fieldhouse either. You don't see the basketball fans leaving at halftime (cause beer isn't being sold).

Comes down to the fact that Kansas has put all of their marbles into Basketball and could care LESS about the football program.

Just imagine if Dr. Naismith had made his journey end in Columbia, Missouri (instead of Lawrence, Kansas). Then, what would KU fans have to hang their hats on. The College Athletic World is changing, and it sure seems like the KU Administration is UNAWARE of the changes taking place.

Hell, even K-State is getting ready to add onto their Football Stadium and building a new Basketball Training Facility?

Sounds like the administration in Manhattan, Kansas has alot more vision than BGL seems to have.

Funhawk 4 years ago

And, Dr. Naismith was a prohibitionist!

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Yes thats the answer lets sell beer to the already incredibly inebriated students. I mean they won't leave the game to drink, they will just be passed out silent in the stands once they have had too many. But hey then we can charge $8 a beer and turn around and reinvest it into alcohol education at KU......Logical right? Wrong!

Scott Oswalt 4 years ago

That's the major factor why people are leaving the games early. I usually stay for the whole game, unless it's a complete beat-down. People stay for the whole game at AFH because we are always a good/exciting team. Many of the non-students are leaving early to continue tailgating also. I don't care if alcohol isn't sold at the game, I'm just letting you know why people are leaving at halftime.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Um no sir that is not the whole reason. I remember a Certain Jayhawk team having a year where they were 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win and at several of the games fans still trickled out at halftime so winning is not the whole story.

rob4lb 4 years ago

My theory was that 11AM was too early for alot of students. It was the student section that was very sparse. I stayed the whole game have a sunburned forehead to prove it, but even though KU was ahead at halftime, I don't think alot of people in the stadium held out alot of hope for a win. Fan support will come when we get a competitive football team. The stadium is not a prison. People should be able to come and go as they please.

LogicMan 4 years ago

Maybe that east side, in the early afternoon, gets hot? So start handing out free water on their side in the stands in the second quarter?

Also maybe there's very bright sun in the eyes, so sell cheap paper or plastic sunglasses? Are there surfaces that are creating glare from their angle?

The young generation coming through is very "soft" and not accustomed to being uncomfortable. They are also impatient. Generally nice about it, though, to their elders so we might not be hearing about the problems.

hawksfanatic 4 years ago

What the heck is going on? I've been taken to task recently for my support of the football team, but the team needs to succeed for us to hold any viable place in a first-tier conference. I've read comments here saying everything's fine - I don't believe it is. If our fans don't support the team we're sunk. I agree with you.

texashawk10 4 years ago

The problem is that fans have always left games at halftime in recent years and I'm assuming well before that, especially the student section. Even in 2008 and 2009 when KU was setting attendance records, the stands on the visitor side (student section) would be half empty at halftime regardless of the score. It's unfortunate, but that is the culture that is KU football and there really isn't an overnight solution for it. Some people (myself included) have suggested lifting the ban of alcohol on campus, but with time to think about it I don't think that would do more than add a few thousand dollars a year. I don't ever recall finding alcohol inside Memorial Stadium to ever be very difficult to begin with and I don't think many students would be willing to pay $7-8 for a watered down beer. Even as good as Missouri has been in football in recent years, they're consistently 5,000-10,000 under capacity unless they're playing Texas or OU. I don't think there is any quick fix solution for increasing KU's attendance and honestly, consistently being good probably won't ever keep KU's stands full after halftime.

Trace Stark 4 years ago

Bravo Coach Self... mizz brings nothing to the table as a non con opponent for the KU basketball program.

KULA 4 years ago

We ought to continue the series--isn't that always a guaranteed W for us, lol?

Vincent Patterson 4 years ago

I still think BGL needs to be talking to the ACC. KU would be a perfect fit. Just like the SEC has been dubbed the best football conference in the nation, adding KU to the likes of UNC and Duke would undoubtedly make that conference the best basketball conference in the land. And football wise, we would be playing schools that are more in line with our level of 1st, football 2nd. What upsets me is that BGL and Zenger are content with just waiting to see and who stays and who goes, but what if they wait too long and other schools continue to bolt for more stable conferences...there's only so many open slots! I say the hell with the Big 12 and this joined at the hip crap with KSU....It's time to look out for us and make sure we land in a conference where coaches of Bill Self's caliber would coach!!! PLEASE DON'T MESS THAT UP!!!

I am going to be laughing for quite some time if Misery goes to the SEC. To sit back and watch their demise will be priceless. Idiots! What will be even funnier is if the SEC does them like the Big 10 did and give them the Heisman! "Um thanks, but no thanks. Your school is doo doo"

ltownatrain 4 years ago

I don't see KU going to the ACC anytime soon. The ACC is already spurning UCONN right now (who has a slightly more attractive market and geographical fit) because of the rumors that Notre Dame said if they were to join a conference they like the ACC more. And if they don't then the ACC would likely snap up UCONN and Rutgers both of which have the desirable market and location. KU's best bet after the Big 12 is the Big 10 once all other AAU schools and good football schools are gone.

Joe Ross 4 years ago

What I LOVE about this article is that Coach Self is coming out with both guns blazing saying, "You wanna leave Missouri? Then f@ck you!" It's great when you know your coach has your back. Coach danced around the tulips with Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A/M, and Oklahoma when they all weighed the decision to leave. But not Missouri. Now that's a coach I can believe in.

ltownatrain 4 years ago

Of course he is! He's in the same place as the rest of us.....he's sick and tired of hearing about realignment and just wants to do this thing called PLAY A GAME! Gasp....There's a concept that others should learn.

lama 4 years ago

Love it. Coach Self has shown great leadership throughout this mess, including last year when he was working behind the scenes when it looked like the Big 12 was toast. The guy does so much for KU beyond being a great basketball coach.

southwindjay 4 years ago

I honestly don't care if they leave, I would be very surprised if anyone would even want them, especially the SEC. They wanted to ride Nebrakas coat-tail now A&M

kevz87 4 years ago

scary he says this. I'm a big ku fan but when mizzou leaves and the big 12 doesn't get a BIG name school self will be gone. He won't hang around to coach against TCU and SMU. If mizzou leaves we need to be going after Louisville and memphis.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years ago

Why would Bill Self ever leave KU? All you people who imagine that he would have no concept of just how big a brand KU basketball is, no matter what conference. KU is a national power and always will be. What's he gonna do, leave for the NBA? Have some perspective.

akl6593 4 years ago

If the Big 12 does fall apart doesn't that hurt recruiting no matter where KU lands? What if the administration disagress with him ... would that push him out?

I can see reasons he might go although I certainly hope he doesn't because he kicks ass and I love it that he told MU to stick it!

texashawk10 4 years ago

Honestly, he may not be that far away from having a decision to make about the NBA. When Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Gregg Popovich retire in the next few years, RC Buford is going to reach out to Bill and Bill will have a decision to make about going to the NBA to coach the Spurs or staying at KU. If KU is in a conference situation that isn't desirable to him, Bill may very well decide to give the NBA a shot and see if he can make it there knowing full well if he fails in the NBA, he can have just about any college job he wants.

PhogAdvisory 4 years ago

This sounds an awful lot like a very cheerful threat, which makes me wonder just how much revenue is generated from the KU-MU basketball games each year. I'm willing to bet that it's an amount of money KU can afford to lose, given our annual profits from b-ball each year (and the fact that AFH sells out for every game, even the exhibitions). But I wonder if Mizery can afford it, too? I'd love to see some numbers on what kind of money these games bring in. Anyone in the know about that?

100 4 years ago

ESPN just had a ticker that said something like this. It's not verbatim, but it's close:

"Missouri officials say they are now looking for an invite from the SEC. A Missouri spokesperson said originally Missouri hoped to be included in the Big 10, but the Big 10 wasn't interested."

If you're an SEC president, do you want this school now? Is this any way to "fish" for an offer from the SEC? Who is their spokesperson? Missouri is basically saying the SEC isn't quite what they were hoping for but it will do. Must they publically acknowledge their aspirations & failings with the Big 10 while the SEC is on the fence about even extending an invitation to them?

Wow. As Fam once said, "I really didn't think they could be any dumber than they already were. They proved me wrong, yet again, this afternoon."

boknowssports 4 years ago

agreed, seems like MU always puts their foot in mouth.

good for Bill Self! Punt those punks. Norm Stewart was the same way!

texashawk10 4 years ago

I would assume the person talking now is the same booster who opened his mouth about Missouri to the SEC a couple of weeks ago.

MWShields 4 years ago

If you want Missouri to stay you can email the Board of Curators and MU Administration by copying and pasting the addresses below.

''">p>''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Big 12 football core schools [Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Okla State] 16-0 Big 12 football member schools [ Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor] 12-4

Potential escapees [Texas A$$ and MMMM and Misery] each 2-2

Potential add ons [BYU 3-2, Air Force 3-1, TCU 3-2, SMU 4-1, Houston 5-0, Cincinnati 4-1, Boise State 4-0] etc, etc,

Maybe we just might survive after all!!!! :)

blindrabbit 4 years ago

Maybe the talk about pursuing BigEast schools to join the conference makes more sense that I originally realized. The 8 remaining "football" schools in the Big12: ISU,KSU,OU,OSU,Baylor,Texas Tech, Texas and Missouri could join in full standing; whereas KU would join only in basketball. By doing this KU could avoid all the negative comments about our football program, including those about poor fan dedication. In this situation, KU would join the likes of Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Marquette, Sisters of the Poor, et. al.

jaymar74 4 years ago

Why would we play Missouri in a non-conference game? We don't play New Mexico.

Woody Cragg 4 years ago

Good for HCBS.

I don't think they're welcome anywhere, not even here, but if misery goes SEC will be a consistant also-ran. Maybe they're trying to tap the money tree of that conf without a six yr penalty & think is a better move, but they'll suck in all sports then, only may get big spender crowds for fball. We're all sick of this realignment crap, but I am repulsed by misery period, ALL the time! I don't shiv a git if we never ever play them again. As the Hag says, "The roots of my raise'n run deep." We've been in these parts since the Civil War and we're stayin'. Misery can go square to Haiti for all we care.

Pitthawk34 4 years ago

To be honest Mu belongs in the SEC, their heritage, beliefs, values and just their way of life. They will be able to spark their academics in that conference. Better get plans to begin renovations to your campus to include outhouses. I lived in the south for 5 years and I know what that area of the United States is all about and it is not pretty.

actorman 4 years ago

"They offer nothing to any conference ..."

That's not true, truehawk. They offer a puffed-up sense of entitlement, some of the worst fans in the history of sports, and a medicore-at-best overall sports program. So it's really not fair to say they offer nothing ...

Woody Cragg 4 years ago

If misery ends up screwing KCMO out of the conf tourney, they should be banned from using Arrowhead for their bullshirt football coffer. But that won't happen either cause 50% of something is better that 100% of nothing. If it were up to me, they wouldn't get in the city limits, at least not in the daylight. But then again, it's in their dna to sneek in at night.

REHawk 4 years ago

I read and responded to this article early morning, and have thought about it often today. Bill Self is surprisingly testy about the subject, and has tossed down the gauntlet re future hoops scheduling. He recognizes that much of this realignment brouhaha stems not only from the lure of media money, but also media manipulations of scheduling. In that regard, he states, "...the media is not going to dictate who we play. I will dictate who we play as long as I am coaching here." I hope and trust that KU administrators and the influential decision makers of the Kansas Board of Regents don't choose to lock horns with a coach who is so important to Jayhawk athletics. An array of options might be open to Bill Self if he should ever get fed up with the tug and pull of influences to disrupt his vision of how the Jayhawks should operate. At a time when the Big 12 appears to be on the road to recovery and a modicum of stability, archrival Missouri chooses to launch a flag stating, "We are wavering!" Nice. Really nice! Bill Self made very clear his feelings re future nonscheduling with league turncoats. I predict that if he is forced unhappily to back down, and to continue to schedule a game which he feels is not in the best interest of his program and KU athletics, he will wave goodbye to Lawrence and what remains of the league he happily joined 9 seasons ago.
Evidently, the influx of TX schools into the revision from Big 8 to Big 12 eventually made for so much furor re the imbalance in profitsharing that our league has grown so sick with greed and hostility that we are in a constant state of dissolution. I would be very disappointed to lose the rivalry with Mizzou, but if they abandon the league then I am firmly with Bill Self. Omit them from any regular season schedule. As a Missouri resident, I am more than somewhat disgusted with the latest turn of events.

Steve Brown 4 years ago

HCBS walks on water. This is shot across the bow, don't take our rivalry for granted, if you depart we will decide whether to continue to play you or not, don't assume. If it suits us to play you at our house, or Arrowhead or Sprint Center or LiveStrong we may and for our own purposes. Besides we haven't beat you enough and desire more wins over you, so stand by don't call us we'll call you. Sometimes I recall Wilt, JoJo, Darnell, Dave Robisch and the golden years and then wake up and tell myself, "you fool, these are the golden years."

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years ago

I will eternally root against Nebraska, Colorado and A&M....and any other school that bails on a once-proud conference.

Self is absolutely right...why give Mizzou the honor of playing a program like KU if they won't even stay in the same league and throw all that history away?

It's like a nasty divorce...if you leave your partner for someone else, you shouldn't be able to come back around the rest of the family for Christmas.

danmoore 4 years ago

Miscue may be our historical rival but our real rival in basketball has been Texas.

kspurpledude 3 years, 11 months ago

Missouri is deluded if it thinks it'll play basketball or football games against KU/K-State or Big 12 opponents. Why would KU or K-State want to give the SEC a presence in fertile recruiting grounds? Nebraska won't be played either since they're in the Big 10. Duh?

The Big 12 Tournament can still be played in KC. KC is in the Midwest not the Rust Belt or where the good ol'boys in the SEC break recruiting rules all the time.

Get over it Mizery! The Border War is over and Mizery has lost.