Duke defeats Kansas, 68-61

• 9 p.m., Nov. 23, 2011
  • Maui, Hawaii,

Thursday, November 24, 2011

No thanks: Duke remains perfect in Maui

Duke bench as it erupts behind Kansas guard Elijah Johnson after a three-pointer by Tyler Thornton to seal the game for the Blue Devils late in the second half Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey talk in the postgame press conference following the Jayhawks' 68-61 loss to Duke on Nov. 23, 2011.

Download podcast

— Duke remains perfect in paradise.

Kansas University’s scrappy basketball team pushed the Blue Devils to the brink — leading at one point by seven in the second half — but ultimately fell victim to a pair of dramatic late threes by Tyler Thornton, 68-61, Wednesday in the finals of the Maui Invitational.

Duke improved to an amazing 15-0 all-time at the tourney, with five titles to its credit.

“Everything was perfect ... just the wrong team won,” KU coach Bill Self said, forcing a smile after his team fell to 3-2 overall.

“We’re obviously very disappointed we didn’t win the game. It was a great basketball game that came down to one possession, the way most great games do. Duke made three threes in the last two minutes that were remarkable. I’m proud of our guys. They fought hard. I can’t imagine a better atmosphere than that for a championship game.”

Duke’s last two threes — which followed a trey by Andre Dawkins that gave Duke a 60-58 lead — were shots fans of both schools will be talking about a long time.

Thornton’s first three was a direct answer to an Elijah Johnson trey that gave KU a 61-60 lead at 1:31. Thornton headed to the corner, where he delivered at 1:04, giving the Devils a 63-61 advantage.

The Devils again took possession after Tyshawn Taylor (11 turnovers, 17 points) kicked the ball out of bounds up top while being pressured by Ryan Kelly (17 points). Thornton accepted a pass from Seth Curry in the corner — it appeared Curry traveled before dishing — and hoisted an off-balance shot as the shot clock neared zero.

Swish.

“It was the ballgame. I mean, that was game. That was game,” was the response of Self to the trey that swished with :20.4 left.

“I thought we we were guarding him pretty good,” he added. “The last one, we couldn’t have guarded it any better. That was unbelievable. We didn’t expect him to jump up and shoot a ball like that in the tournament. That was just a great play by an individual.

“The one late ... I don’t know if he saw the rim when he shot it, but it was a heck of a shot. It was an unlucky break for us,” added Self, who did not blast the officials for not calling a possible walk on Curry.

KU’s Thomas Robinson was the only Jayhawk to make the all-tournament team following his 16-point, 15-rebound performance. Jeff Withey was huge with 14 points and 10 boards.

“I thought Jeff was outstanding. I thought he was a presence,” Self said.

A dejected Robinson, who had to be helped off the floor by Travis Releford at game’s end, said he was proud of KU’s effort.

“I’ve not been around a game like that. I believe it will go down as one of the top games the tournament has ever had,” Robinson said. “We got the short end of the stick, but we’ll move on.”

KU led as many as seven, 41-34, early in the second half. A 43-37 lead was erased following a 12-3 Duke run.

Mason Plumlee and Kelly had 17 each for Duke, while Austin Rivers had 10. KU hit 42.9 percent of its shots with 17 turnovers against six assists. Duke hit 39.3 percent with 13 turnovers against nine assists.

KU led, 35-31, at halftime, thanks to a spirited inside effort from Withey (10 points, six rebounds, 16 minutes) and Robinson (nine points, eight boards, 17 minutes), as well as the guard play of Taylor, who had 13 points off 4-of-7 shooting. Taylor hit five of six free throws.

Duke hit just 42.9 percent of its first-half shots, with Kelly scoring nine and Rivers eight.

KU had a half-high lead of six points. The Jayhawks led, 30-29, following a three by Rivers. What followed was a 5-0 run with Taylor scoring all five — first off a basket and foul shot, then two free throws. KU could have expanded on that lead even more if not for three turnovers following that possession.

At game’s start, Duke punched KU in the jaw. Actually, Ryan Kelly hit Robinson in the jaw after Kelly released on a shot from the corner on the first possession. Robinson needed a minute to get checked out on the bench before returning.

KU, however, was the aggressor immediately after that, grabbing an 8-3 lead that would have been 10-3 had Travis Releford finished an inside shot.

Withey totaled eight points, including one off a nifty hook and another on a vicious dunk in helping KU to a 14-11 lead at 11:48.

The game was tied at 19 at 9:04 when Duke scored five unanswered to go up by five, 24-19, at 8:03.a basket by Taylor and three by Elijah Johnson.

KU fell to 9-6 all-time in Maui. KU will meet Florida Atlantic at 7 p.m., Nov. 30, in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Mike Rotchurtz 9 years, 3 months ago

Gotta just tip your hat to the Dookies. The Jayhawks played hard enough but that kid made a couple of clutch 3's at the end. We can whine about the bad no-call on the traveling, but it would have been a different situation if it wasn't for TT's 11th turnover a few seconds earlier. The bright side is that while people say this is the least talented team in HCBS' tenure at KU it is still a team that can play with anybody (and will only get better). There is certainly no lack of heart.

Steve Stucky 9 years, 3 months ago

"That kid made a couple of clutch 3's..." Gee, where I have heard that before. Oh, now I remember last year when bowing out of the NCAA tournament. And the year before - Faroukma-whatever. Bill, I love you to death, but learn to shoot free throws and defend the three. Please!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 3 months ago

We lost this game because Selby declared for the draft.

Brand Willis 9 years, 3 months ago

Brennan Keller 9 years, 3 months ago

Selby would not have played any better than TT. Actually, he probably would have played worse.

Curtis Stutz 9 years, 3 months ago

agree with kbb, selby who? he's not on this team, move on

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Lol - congrats ahperse - I see you got your desired response.

Chayse Patrick 9 years, 3 months ago

I hope you're joking??? either that or you are just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!

Andy Smith 9 years, 3 months ago

Bilas saw the travel. He commented on it. It's too bad the Kansas defense made a great play and forced Curry to take 3 steps and NO whistle. It was bang-bang. That play was not we lost but it could have been the play that gave us a chance at victory. This team will get better. We'll beat Duke in March.

Ross Cargo 9 years, 3 months ago

I could go with that. EJ is sort of a carbon copy, but with 11 turnovers coming from a 4th year starting point guard..........not good.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 3 months ago

TT is our PG and I'm sure that isn't going to change. What is needed is more depth and that isn't changing either.

hewn 9 years, 3 months ago

The officiating was awful all night. The travel no-call at the end was just one of several throughout the game that slipped by giving Duke extra possessions. Each one of the fouls called on Withey was iffy at best. Total double standard versus the way they let Duke's big men play. The big dunk Miles Plumlee got off Withey was created by him simply shoving Withey out of the way. No crafty move, no great jockeying for position, just a blatant shove. Should have been an offensive foul, but instead was a big momentum-building play for Duke, leading to a KU timeout.

It's just really sad to see our guys play their hearts out and in fact do enough to win, only to have their efforts stunted by poor officiating. Sure Duke played a good game. They almost played well enough to beat us. But not quite. The refs did the rest.

hewn 9 years, 3 months ago

How can you just turn a blind eye? It was easily enough to make the difference in a championship game. Excuse me for the faux-pas, but what good does it do to just pretend that Duke was the better team tonight when they were not? Officiating that detrimental to the fairness of the game is not something that should just be hush-hushed. Everyone should be speaking out about this.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

You're the KUSports thought police? It's ironic that many have wanted you to "Just stop" many times.

rwhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

I would say the officiating was terrible, although I would add that I would be just as annoyed if I were a Duke fan. I thought there were a lot of really bad calls in all of KUs games and some went for and some against us. Example, Trob traveled quit a bit because he steps before the ball hits the floor, but I don't recall it ever getting called.

babyjay1 9 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding? You don't get to make the rules .... The officiating sucked the whole tournament. One minute they let guys bang all over each other and then they call stupid little touch fouls ... Get over yourself!

Brennan Keller 9 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. It takes an immature fan to blame the loss solely on the officiating. Did the refs miss the travel? Sure, but how do we know that KU wouldve been able to score on the next play? We had our opportunities to win this game. Unfortunately, we just were not able to pull through. The way our "rebuilding" team played against a top 5 team was very encouraging. These tough games early on will prepare this team for March. I would rather be 3-2 with losses to top 5 teams than 5-0 with wins over cupcakes. KU should win the next 3 games and be 6-2 heading into another great matchup against Ohio State. I think KU has the talent to be able to pull this upset. The fact that the game is at Allen Fieldhouse can't hurt our odds either :).

Rock Chalk!

UmbertoConforti 9 years, 3 months ago

At first I wondered if you ever played college ball. Then I wondered if you ever went to a BB game. Lately I have been wondering if you are Ahpers or whatever that nerd calls himself.

railer20 9 years, 3 months ago

How about instead of whining about the refs (cuz they were aweful every other game and we won as we should have here) you complain about our wonderful play from our senior leader...11 Turnovers, are your fricken kidding me! There's 10 points right there...I know Self just wants to yank his @$$ but we don't have any other options at this point. He made me want to vomit.

P.S. - Dear Raftery, You forgot to take your Blue Devil beads out of your hind end...glad everything Duke did was genius or them getting a bogus call but never KU.

David Brown 9 years, 3 months ago

Gotta agree about Taylor. 11 turnovers? I believe EJ had 2 and everyone else had 1. Point guards who are seniors do not have 11 turnovers---period! No matter who the opponent is. His turnovers always strike me as so, well, dumb. Just simply dumb or really unfocused, like he lacks mental toughness or the ability to set all else aside and really focus. A good player? Yes. An experienced senior leader on a Final Four team? Don't think so.

Jeff Hargate 9 years, 3 months ago

Taylor gets a pass from me in the late 2nd half. He was exhausted and Self even admits he should have subbed for him. Nothing wrong with giving 100% effort. Look at Withey not finishing or Robinson going up weak to the basket. There were too many mistakes to just pin it on Taylor.

knighthawk 9 years, 3 months ago

I agree with jeffthejayhawk. TT had done a good job on offense and defense. Self stated after the game he should have substituted for TT who was exhausted. This probably helped lead to the bad TO's late in the game. TT also has to learn his limits. Coach said he needs to trust his subs more and he will address that. I see a greatly improved team since the Kentucky game. If we meet Duke again I predict a different ending. Did anybody else think that I. Johnson could have been more aggressive on offense? Would that take some of the pressure off TT? I sure like this teams' desire and heart.

UmbertoConforti 9 years, 3 months ago

You ought to see these fellow who complain about TT play basketball. They rarely fumble a pass, kick the ball, take steps, etc., etc. They play near perfect games. Of course, they do this mentally. TT has to play on the floor against real live competitors many of whom are ball hawks. His one great sin is he is trying to carry the team and really can't do it all by himself. Most importantly, TT, TRob, and EJ need to have good games all the time. Only TRob has done this, but TT has been pretty close to doing it.

Of course, I agree the 11 turnovers probably beat us.

Curtis Stutz 9 years, 3 months ago

mostly just refferty, but I'll give it a +1 Bilas pretty unbiased, off on a few comments, didn't care for him talking about Withey's lack of strength, he had some very, very strong rebounds in this tournament

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 3 months ago

What really amazes me is that KU was second to the bonus in every half of the Maui tournament. UCLA was in the bonus with ten minutes left in the first half. And Duke got there half way through both halves. Either there were a bunch of nickel and dimer calls or KU has to lay off the hand check.

Personally, it is probably a little bit of both. Self coaches his teams to be the aggressor, unfortunately referees punish what Self rewards. Refs suck always.

One more point, Great teams overcome poor officiating. It's the rule of referees. KU is good right now but not great. Taylor should not have turned the ball over that much.

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

Did you hear how the three stooges justified the dook play? They would point out a call throughout the game. They begin to all three say the game was called "pretty consistent throughout."

They knew the momentum was turning in those last few mins of the game to dook. That's when they begin to defend the game's events. It's always easy to point out the refs. If KU had won, who would agree that KU did any fouling? Now, we have TT to thank for bailing dook out 11 different times. I think dook found a little weakness and exposed it. The refs rewarded them 11 different times. TT is TO proned but I really don't think even he is capable of making such glaring TOs in this game. I think dook picked and grabbed, pushed and shoved, kneed and forced KU at every opportunity. It's the way they play. Bilas and company just said that TT has to be ready for the physical play. I saw KU get mugged and dook's bigs were given FTs.

I also liked how Coach K got the unprofessional opp to scream and yell at the ref. Who "gave him a warning." I would T'd his azz the minute he opened his rat faced mouth. I lost respect for the two faced rat who acts one way on the court and another on the camera. He's not the "class-act" so many think.

Michael Foulston 9 years, 3 months ago

Did you miss the part in the first half, I think it was Teahan's first foul after he was subbed in for EJ...coach Self yelled at the official "That's not a fu@#ing foul." I even rewound it to make sure I was lip-reading properly. I suppose he could have said it was a mucking foul, but somehow, I doubt it. That said, whatever coach K was screaming about probably should have earned him a T. Oh well. Great showing by the Hawks battling a really good Dook team and some damn sloppy officiating and point guard play. One of the best November games I've seen.
Rock Chalk!

gardenjay 9 years, 3 months ago

In this game I will tip my hat to Duke, too, but really didnt' think I could ever do that. I guess it's because they tried their best at the edge of defeat and so you have to give them credit for that one. In life's analogies, that is one of the things to admire most.

Go KU, a great season awaits you, and may you meet Duke again this season in the NCAA's with different results.

Andy Smith 9 years, 3 months ago

After praising the player for knocking down the big shot, coach K said," we took some really great flops tonight"

Chadus 9 years, 3 months ago

Your senior PG should never have 11 turnovers!

Jabez Harlan 9 years, 3 months ago

By the same token, we are not in that game at all if Naadir played the point the entire night. Tyshawn had WAAAYYYY too many turnovers but he also made some great plays and hit some big shots.

So lay off.

Cora Smith 9 years, 3 months ago

Same old Tyshawn. Has not changed since the day he took the floor. Me first (1 on 3). No plan (airborne with no place to throw). No sense of surroundings. We will not win consistently with him at the leadership position. On the other hand, Withey may not be the second coming of Kareem but he supplied more, including altered shots, than I thought his capabilities are.

AsadZ 9 years, 3 months ago

I have always been a big fan of TT,and I was really expecting great play from him this year. However, after last night's championship game, I have come to conclusion that KU will be better off with EJ being the point guard. TT just can't contol himself in Big games, 11 turnovers is unacceptable from senior leader.

I felt offense ran much smoothly in previous games with EJ at point. HCBS should try this move now rather than Feb/Mar.

I still believe TT is a very good player but he can't be counted on to be team leader.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Dear Tyshawn,

I will send you a formal thank you card when I get back to the States, but for now let me reiterate how much we appreciated your generosity last night. We were out-hustled, out-coached and out-smarted for most of the game and we never would have had a chance to win our 15th straight game and 5th straight title in Maui if it weren't for you.

I don't know if you had your mind on the wahine at the beach, or whether you were ready to scrap with the football team again or WHAT it was - but please let me know why your head was not in this particular game. That way we'll know what to look for if we have the opportunity to play you again. Of course, by then Coach Self will have figured out that you are physically talented, but not really all there in the head and he will have someone more alert handle the ball. Jeff Withey comes to mind. Or maybe the person that hands out your water and towels. I didn't see them spill anything or throw a towel away last night.

Anyway - thank you again! Best to you and yours TT.

X's and O's.

Coach K

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 3 months ago

Isn't Coach K still in the states? Or did Hawaii lose it's statehood? Is that what all this Obama birth certificate stuff is about?

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, my bad. Most sane people know what Coach K meant. And that would definitely exclude you.

johnnyphoton 9 years, 3 months ago

No, you're confused. Obama and Coach K are checking out a new Hawaiian coffee blend for the soon-to-be-released OK-cup.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

I did not watch the game described above.

Bob Thompson 9 years, 3 months ago

I have never liked the way TT plays. This year I started by saying this will be TT's year..... but no..... He has real talent, but just isn't a smart player, and at this point I don't see that changing. EJ could play point, but I believe he would play better at the shooting guard. I would put Tharpe at point. Smart kid, and seems to be a fast learner. May take him a few games, like half the season, but if you are looking down the road to March, I would be playing Tharpe.

jahawkdave 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't ever comment negative on a player and appreciate their time effort and skill. However, I can stand silly turnovers, lazy passes, out of control play. To have a senior guard with the ball in his hand for a crucial play in the game dribble right into someone (TT Duke) or fall down and lose the ball at the end of the half ( TT UK ) does he get these out of his system if he gets exhibition PT? We don't know cause he'suspended. I can't stand to watch another TT turnover, yes he makes plays Buthelezi will cost us in the end, he has proven this more times than not . I would rather get Tharpe experience for the future than learn from the bench what not to do from TT. To have a senior guard with 11 TO's is pathetic. The fact that we haven't reloaded with recruits, we haven't even semi reloaded we have put together a "mighty ducks" version of transfers and ineligibles. Selby's one and done does hurt because he would have the ball in his hands a majority of the time, limiting TT's mistakes.

TT is a really good player but won't ever be great with all the silly mistakes, I understand TO's happening due to hard plays and effort but a majority of TT's are poor decisions and he is not going to change. He makes KU games more frustrating to watch than I ever have been.

I'd rather watch KU lose by 10+ or win by 2 developing a young point than lose by 2+ win by 10+ with TT. I have absolutely no faith in TT with the ball in his hands in a close game in March. Get Tharpe ready now, just as we should have done with Selby when he was healthy last year. We need to develop our team for March so when players like ( Morningstar / Reed freeze up against VCU ) and Teahan did the entire Maui stretch we can got the bench and put in a Tharpe or Selby last year who were given more time to learn and develop with regular season PT.

Thanks TT and congrats on your 1000 points but the number that has made me finally lose faith is 11.

79jayhawker 9 years, 3 months ago

Totally agree. What I can't understand it is the same mistakes every game. It must sound like a broken record when they go over game film and how do you not fix something in your game in 4 years??? The word that I think of most when I watch TT play is LAAAAZZZZZYYY! TT has the talent but not the intestinal fortitude to fix his stupid mistakes. I really feel for the guys on the bench because they are not on the floor because that not doing something right that does not give the coaches the confidence to put them in but those same coaches can watch TT game after game make mistakes all day long and he is playing the majority of the minutes. What message does that send the bench?? Sad thing too is to watch how lazy TT is on Defense too. The first three at the end of the game TT just let his guy get to the side for a wide-open shot. He just loafed in the lane and had no chance to contest the shot and then gives that surprised look on his face that he always makes. I am just so tired of this crap and can’t understand the latitude Self gives him.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 3 months ago

Its not the intestinal fortitude to fix the problems he lacking, its the inttelectual capacity

tahawk81 9 years, 3 months ago

Taylor just killed us. I do not see any scenario where we can win consistently with him at the point. Let's see what Tharp can do. We would lose some offensive firepower but less dumb plays would out weigh it.

Mike Barnhart 9 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is like a "ride along" with a Blue Angels fighter pilot for KU fans. Some of the twist and turns and ups and downs are amazingly cool and sometimes you throw up and black out for a few minutes.

There's really no changing him and no way to play without him this year. Strap in tight boys, it's gonna' be a wild ride!

hawksince51 9 years, 3 months ago

It was good to see that this team can stay on the floor and be in a position to beat a top 5 or 6 team. I was really impressed with Withey who showed how he can play when he stays out of foul trouble, at least most of the game. TT was a much needed scorer but I simply cannot understand how a senior point guard commits 11 turnovers, many of them being just plain sloppy. I agree with those who say move EJ to the PG and put TT at the 2. Again no contribution from the bench, all 0's except for fouls. It will be hard to win the conference or go far in the NCAAs with this bench.

hathead 9 years, 3 months ago

Here's hoping Tharpe grows up fast. If EJ isn't passing the ball to Plumlee, then Larry Drew IV will be dribbling it off his knee or the like. I think his 11 TOs are the most recorded for a single player in the entire history of basketball...

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

10 turnovers made me wonder what was going on with Tyshawn. The 11th it appeared to me, and they never showed a replay, was caused by Duke running full force into him causing him to lose the ball. Of course that led to the bitter non-travel and the oh-my-goodness, game of horse, prayer 3 by the Duke kid.

RockChalk26 9 years, 3 months ago

You guys really know how to beat a kid when he's down. Kudos to you.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

and HE really knows how to beat us when we're up.

Sam Constance 9 years, 3 months ago

Nevermind the fact that we likely wouldn't have been "up" without him, right?

voygr1 9 years, 3 months ago

I can not believe the lack of faith all have in our team. Last night was a tough loss but it was not one persons fault!! Ty hang in there!! The rest of our fans need to go back and watch the game and call after call that refs made to turn the game to Duke. The last TT turnover should have been a foul on Kelly. The travel by Rivers!! And of course the flops by the dookies. It is to a point that if you play Duke you need to make sure the refs are going to be fair. Coach was all over Tom Eads in first half and got warned to shut up. Bias is Bias but when the Biased commentators even call out the refs something is seriously wrong. Hawks hang in there, TT hang in there your chance for redemption will come.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 3 months ago

The officiating was terrible for both teams.

T Rob got a charge called on a play where he clearly just slid under Rivers in the air.

TT got bailed out on a couple other drives that should have been TOs by getting a phamtom foul call

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Go back on ESPN3 and watch TT's last turnover, the Duke kid clearly sticks his knee out as Taylor goes by him. The referees cost KU twice in the lost minute of the game a chance to win the game. Were there many other plays we could've/should've/would've made? Obviously. But we twice in the last minute didn't have a chance to make a play that makes the game go down to the wire. That's on the officials.

SDSurferFan 9 years, 3 months ago

1. TT. As a senior, it's hard to keep saying this is a learning experience.
  2. Big game. Don't fool yourself on the size of that gym. Ive been to the tourney and the championship game is electric. Bummed on that loss.
  3. Withey....nice surprise for this year. He's only getting better more confident.
  4. Team looks good in half court set. Great coaching to get them here so quickly. Transition O looks weak.
  5. How about them Aztecs? Nice win in Tuscon last night. An impressive 5-1 after losing 3 seniors and a first rounder.

Gobble, gobble....

Ron Franklin 9 years, 3 months ago

you have zero class 162515. On top of that you are clueless if you think SD Surfer is a troll.

Hank Cross 9 years, 3 months ago

Epic Fail. If you're older than 12 you've pretty much figured out that it's actually OK to like more than 1 team.

And, you really think he/they are Tulane fans?

Ross Cargo 9 years, 3 months ago

Why be such a jerk to SD? He didn't write anything out of bounds. You, however, went total classless for no particular reason.

kkoenig 9 years, 3 months ago

San Diego, Did you see the SDSU-UA game? Is UA as bad as their record indicates? Keep the west coast posts coming.

diegohawk 9 years, 3 months ago

1. Aztecs, big win at Zona. Fishers got em playing ball again. Won't have the success of last years record but could see them in the tourney again.

2. Withey - I like what he brings. He played under control for the most part last night and really has stepped up as most of us were hoping he would. I suspect will continue to improve as the season goes on.

3. Taylor - tremendous upside, however will likely never be realized. I think he lacks focus/desire. He looks like he wants to be a 1st team all conference offensive and defensive player one minute then like he's in a nothing matters AAU contest the next. He excites and frustrates me more than any other player on our team depending on his level of focus/desire.

4. Robinson - his hands get in the way of his feet. If his hands catch up with his feet look out as he has all the tools. Still looks a little sped up and is having trouble with the doubles but I like his improvement and think he will continue to grow as the season goes on. Wish he would put his butt on someone to block out. Could average 15 boards a game if he would. Gets 11/per contest just on his athleticism and strength alone but those extra few could make the difference for this team.

5. Releford - needs to be on the other teams best perimeter threat. Would love to see some stronger rebounding/technique from him too but think I will see that as the year goes on.

I don't surf but I do eat turkey. Speaking of which...

SDSurferFan 9 years, 3 months ago

Cool....I got a reply that was removed. That is what I was shooting for...to the other posters thanks for having my back!

I watched the game. SDSU D is good and UA couldn't hit a three.

Ive said it many times...JayHawk by family, Aztec by school. I really try to keep SDSU takes to a min. Last year was a dream year.

Kyle Sybesma 9 years, 3 months ago

Beating up on Taylor is ridiculous. Self's game plan was to drive and Taylor is the best at doing that and he proved it. Self admitted that he should have subbed him more to keep him fresh so he wouldn't make the mental mistakes he did. Everyone is bashing Taylor because of the late turnovers when the game was close. It was only close because Taylor made it close. When the game plan is to put the ball in your best players hands this is the chance you take.

IMO this is Self's best coaching job. A whole new team with one starter returning and one bench player with significant minutes. I had low expectations coming in to this season but I think we look great on defense and the offense looks crisp.

jhox 9 years, 3 months ago

I have to give Duke a lot of credit. Their interior defense was fantastic and we rarely got a decent look at a three. I thought our defense was especially good last night as well. Unfortunately, theirs was better. I have to believe our lack of depth hurt us in a 3 day tournament like this. I'm impressed that we played a competitive game.

As for the comments about Taylor, he looked like a first team All American candidate the first half, then lost his cool the second. I really believe he is worried his NBA dreams won't be realized, so he's now desperate to score. He still hasn't figured out that the NBA looks at more than just scoring when evaluating a point guard. He's pretty much played himself out of any chance of an NBA career. He played like this early his Sophomore year, when he was thinking he was a two and done guy. It's time for Coach Self to reign him in a bit. He's a solid player when forced to play under control. This green light Self has given him isn't working. If he doesn't play less selfishly, then it is time to insert Tharpe.

One more random thought...the name Blue Devils...anyone else ever get the sense someone associated with that program has sold their soul? That is the luckiest team on the planet.

Jerry Rockhold 9 years, 3 months ago

KU will never become the best that it can be with TT at the point. Either Johnson or Tharp is going to have to step up & be our regular PG. Yes, TT will sometimes make amazing plays, but we CANNOT count on him to be consistent & steady at the point. He's demonstrateed that for 4 years, combining great athletism with a penchant for displaying a low basketball IQ at critical times in the game. For many years we've had solid, stable guard play & that's especially essential for success this year. With our lack of depth, we MUST play well as a cohesive team unit. Start putting TT at the 2 guard & place the ball in EJ or NT hands now & let them get invaluable experience early in the season at PG. They may be growing pains for awhile, but it could pay huge dividends later in the conference & especially in the NCAA tournament. RCJH GO KU .

NOVAhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

We lost because Turnover Taylor is making the same stupid mistakes he did as a freshman.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 3 months ago

Without Tyshawn in the game KU has no chance at winning it, so I can't say he lost the game for 'em. But I can say that he didn't do everything in his power to win it either.

I'm convinced now that KU WILL lose the majority of their close games as long as he is the primary ball handler. He has no ability to focus--and without focus, he lacks the ability to see big picture and stay in control. Tyshawn exhibits classic ADD symptoms--most of us have noticed since his sophomore year. It's apparent by now he hasn't gotten proper treatment-or the treatment is not working.

The problem is, as many posters point out is that he is KU's only real option other than EJ who also often shows questionable handles too.

I know my Crimson & Blue goggles have something to do with this, but KU tends to be on the short end of the stick when it comes to poor officiating in close games. Wayward J last night said it was "human nature." I've officiated up to the collegiate level in Baseball--I cannot to relate to what Wayward is saying. But I do feel like the officials were after WIthey all tournament.

That was a horrible no call on Tyshawn where he lost the ball for this 11th TO--but he's gotta be strong there with the ball and regardless of the foul, he should be able to maintain his dribble when he gets bumped like that. Still, right in front of the official.

I felt like right when KU started pulling a way a foul would be called to stop the momentum and duke would get a few free throws. A stat flashed last night that Duke didn't get FG in over 4 minutes, yet they were still scoring points--at the line.

KU was called for 6 fouls before Dukie got 1--even with all of their HaNd Checking and Hip Checks.

I thought Self did a fine job of managing the game--within one bucket in the last 30 seconds.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 3 months ago

One more thought....

I believe Losing this game did more for this team than Winning it would have done.

The last thing we need is for KU to get a win after Tyshawn had such a horrible outing. Beating Duke would have started the balloon head swelling--which would be further expanded by ESPN talking heads getting into our players minds. This would result in the Players thinking they are better than they are.

Duke did an excellent job of coming over the top of the screen and hedging it--Self will be able to use that as a tool come film time.

Alan Mills 9 years, 3 months ago

Stunning to read all the comments ready to ship Taylor out of Lawrence on the Turner Gill Express! Wow, did we all watch the same game? Have we all been watching the same team so far this year? Kansas is not in that game last night without Taylor on the floor. Most want EJ or Tharpe. Sorry, but neither of them helps us as much as Taylor. In fact, EJ might be as much of a roller coaster ride as Taylor. Certainly, Taylor's turnovers in the 2nd half were costly, but the Jayhawks stood toe to toe with a very good Duke team. I, for one, will admit that I wasn't sure if we could do that. I was pleasantly impressed for 40 minutes. If Releford hits either of his wide-open threes, a shot he's hit in all games previous to last night, Kansas wins. If Teahan, always praised as the "best shooter", or Wesley provide anything off the bench besides fouls, Kansas wins. And, yes, if Taylor has 9 turnovers instead of 11, Kansas wins. Why does this matter? I'm fairly certain ALL of you poster baggin' on Taylor would have NEVER given the Jayhawks a chance of winning this game coming into the season. Most of you probably didn't believe Kansas could reach the finals in Maui. Clearly, we have far more potential than most realize. I liked the Blue Angels ride-along analogy. Yeah, that's what it may be like with Taylor, but I'll take that. And, I'll keep expecting some of these other guys to join him for the ride. When they all do, it could be pretty fun to watch.

Kevin Kunde 9 years, 3 months ago

On a side note, what does the title of this article mean? 'No thanks: Duke remains perfect in Maui' - No Thanks?

Alohahawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Glad someone else asked that question. What duhhhh f*** is that referring to?

I "thank" the Jayhawks for an excellent defensive performance against a highly ranked opponent which we all wanted very badly to beat. So, thanks again, Hawks. Keep the improvements coming. KU's losses have come to two highly ranked opponents. A third is only four games away. And it's in the Phog. Third times a charm.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

I would assume that because today (turkey day) is the day of "Giving Thanks" I would assume that the title is being somewhat sarcastic by saying "No Thanks" in regards to Duke's ability to win that game last night and staying undefeated in the Maui Inviational.

So, yes, I am giving absolutely zero (No) thanks to Duke today!

sdku 9 years, 3 months ago

Without Taylor we wouldn't have made it to the final, if you don't see that you are a fool. He plays solid defense and is a scorer who we all know we desperately need. You live and die through Taylor. He's our pg whether you like it or not. The turnovers will happen but both TTand EJ gave some open three's last night, they where probalby a lil gassed by then.

I'm mad at the officials too but nobody has pointed this one thing out yet. We must be the worst fast break KU team in history, squandering baskets left and right. What about Whithey's wide open dunk. Whithey played great by the way!

Everyone, from before the season started you all were a little scared and didn't know what type of team we have. We know now we can hang with anyone and I can smell big 12 championship once again with our solid Defense!

Rock Chalk Till I Die!

sdku 9 years, 3 months ago

Taylor gives us our best shot to wn Stahlin! Your comment is weak, who else you want to be pg? Tharpe won't be able to hadle the big game like TT. EJ is better as the #2 guard, that's why he is in that spot. Don't you think Self knows that? You mean to tell me you want Tharpe to be running the offense at game 3 of his career. No way! Tharpe has not seen real cmpetition yet. He'll be good but TT can score with solid defense. Tharpe is a smaller payer too who Duke would of shot over.

Hank Cross 9 years, 3 months ago

TT is always suspect, but I think much of what happened last night was him trying to do too much on O b/c too many others were doing too little. Travis, make those lay-ups!

Learn from it, build on it. It was a great game and there was no shame in losing to the No. 6 team in the country.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Here is the deal ladies and gents....................there are two plays that stick out above and beyond more than other plays in this tournament and they both start with Tyshawn Taylor.

Before I get into those two plays I am extremely excited for this team. I think this team is going to be pretty darn good and the only thing I'm mad about is losing to Duke when I know KU should have been victorious. KU definitely should have won that game, but unfortunately KU didn't have answer for Ryan Kelly stretching the defense. Regardless, as Dave Odom said in the other article..................KU willl definitely prosper from this experience. With that said, KU is going to beat Ohio State!

One other thought, How about Jeff Withey? I'm not going to say I told you so.......but I told you so! LOL! The kid is only getting better and if KU and Self can work those refs and stop getting him "Cheapies" Withey is going to be very good. Now, can we please stop with any "Chenowithey" comment from here on out. It's disgraceful and rude!

Game changing plays of the tourney that need to be watched, remembered, not forgotten, and needs to be corrected going forward.

1) I mentioned this after the G-Town game but when TT drifted to half court after a Jason Clark 3 point shot and G-Town got the rebound and kicked back out to Clark for a successful second 3 point shot.................TT was left scrambling back to his man preparing for a............."I got stuck in traffic" excuse".

Every Defensive Possession is Key

2) KU was up 61-60 after an awesome 3 pointer by EJ and what do we do on defense...........Relax! I am not being negative about TT at all, but unfortunately he was involved in the play and he relaxed, which IMO gave a bum like Tyler Thornton the game winning open look that Duke desperately needed.

If you watch that play, TT relaxed in the middle of the paint, Duke quickly reversed the ball to the corner and Thornton nailed the open 3 in the corner. Seriously? The screen was terrible, but nonchalant attempt to get around the screen, get a hand up in the corner, was just poor. Especially at that time of the game! Frustrating, but I hope TT will learn and understand game management and timing of situations a little more.

Anyway, great tourney, should have beaten Duke, but regardless...........KU is going to be good and I'm excited to be a Jayhawk right now!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

One other note: KU is going to need Tharpe to get up to speed. I would have liked a little more playing time from because I agree with Self comments after the game...........Self should have subbed for TT a little more.

Theutus 9 years, 3 months ago

I'll start by eating some crow when it comes to Withey.. After the first two exhibition games, i didn't think the guy would be able to compete against better talent. He seemed slow and too clumsy, not enough fire... Boy was I wrong. Withey was the player of the game last night, and I am extremely excited to see him progress over the season. He's playing amazing, and I hope he stays healthy and keeps it up.

As far as Taylor goes... 11 Turnovers, and I wasn't surprised at all. Enough said.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 3 months ago

Happy T Day Shaw- had to watch that game at 3 am after getting back from a show--the play you described is the exact play I couldn't get over. I have such a hard time forgiving Ty on it because it was an effort play. It's not like he made a mistake and dribbled the ball off his heel (nearly as bad) but to see him just completely stop in the paint like that--look over at his man on the wing, and then not pursue him until the pass swung back to him was all effort--or lack thereof.

I'm nearly dumbfounded by it--to work so hard all night long, retake the lead in the final minute and then just give up on your man at crunch time is unforgivable.

AsadZ 9 years, 3 months ago

Shaw, Good points. We have been watching TT for 3 years and keep saying that he will learn from mistakes and get better. While I have always been his fan and I still like him as a player, I have lost confidence that he can be the dominant/reliable point guard and bring senior leadership to this young/thin team.

To win against quality opponents, this team will have to play with very little margin for error. Players will have to very focused on every possession. I just don't think TT can focus for extended periods of time.

I strongly feel that HCBS should roll the dice and hand PG job to EJ, and have TT play at 2. Its better to work on this change now then in Feb.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh, how could I forget! Happy Turkey Day fellow posters! I know losing to Duke sucks and I have to hear all my Duke friends rail on me today, but today is a good day to be a Jayhawk and Duke fans know it. Hell, Kentucky fans know it! Good things to come with this team!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 3 months ago

What have we learned so far:

1] Jeff may not be the weakness we all feared...in fact he may develope into a surprise strong point plus he's only a junior.

2] Tyshawn will be officially named the winner of the I love/hate Brady Morningstar Award by the end of the season.

3] At this level of basketball, the only thing you can hope for is the officiating to be equally fair, unfair or horrrible for both teams for 40 minutes. 4] This tough preconference schedule is going to pay dividends in March.

5] Sooner or later HCBS will have to decide if the Hawks are playing for the 2011-12 season or the 2012-13 season.

6] No one and I mean no one scares me in the Big 12. We will lose some games but it will be because of us not them.

7] Poi is the worst tasting, edible item on the face of this planet.

8] In fact, there are several inedible items that still taste better, [Dirt, antifreeze, etc.

9] I am thankful for my country, my family and for my Dad having the good sense to direct me to Kansas and not Missouri.

10] Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

Theutus 9 years, 3 months ago

In reference to 5, i wish Self would play for both. What I mean by that is that TT should have been benched multiple times for a couple minutes, and Tharpe should have come in.

Not only does this send a message to Taylor to pull his head out of his ace, but it gets Tharpe some much needed floor time. I don't care if we lose, this is early in the season. If we have Tharpe working out kinks along the way, we can utilize both Taylor/Tharpe late in the season when it matters, and then Tharpe is well on his way to being next years go-to 1PG.

Honestly, what do we have to lose? Even as a freshman Tharpe probably isn't going to throw up 11 TO's in a game.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

100 percent agree with this comment! Like or don't like...........KU is going to need Tharpe to spell minutes for EJ and or Taylor. Might as well get him experience in a great environment.

I think Self missed a great opportunity to get a young kid involved and build on his maturation. Look at Coach K, we just turned that bum Tyer Thornton into a star. Unreal!

sdku 9 years, 3 months ago

Thetus, I agree with giving Tharpe some time for TT but Self wants to win the Maui invitational more than to develop Tharpe in one game. TT gave us our best shot. We just fell a little short bc of the bench. I have always hated Duke. I hope they set us up to play them in the tourney!

Ben Simonett 9 years, 3 months ago

Is there any blueblood that KU has a winning record against?

we've played UK, UCLA, and Duke this year and in every game they showed a graphic of the all time series and its always the other team with the better record.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

You have to remember though in reference to UCLA and Kentucky that most of their wins came against KU in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Not exactly the most prominent decades of KU basketball.

Not much to say about Duke. Every game has been decided by 7 points are less so It seems to me that we just haven't had enough to close out the games.

kikoluna 9 years, 3 months ago

For a bit of perspctive, I would not have predicted a month ago this team would be this competitive. Will be another great year and players and coaches deserve a lot of credit. As far as the game, I am sorry but there is no excuse for the refs deciding that game. Inevitably that has become Coach K's main strength - intimidate the refs all game until it counts. Kelly clearly fouled Taylor and if in recverse that was a no call on Duke, Coach K strokes on the spot. The no call travel right in front of their bench? It is a shame our players could not decide their own fate. Not sure we win but they certainly deserved better.

thejayhawkdude007 9 years, 3 months ago

Crazy game. should have won though. For all you haters out there lay off TT. He would kick all your asses in one on one. He played hard and I felt bad for him struggling with turnovers. Everyone alway notices turnovers but fail to see if Naddir was in the game we wouldnt have been that close, and EJ doesnt alway have the greatest shot selection so let lay off Tayshawn.Not every guys going to be Mario Chalmers or RusRob and shouldnt be held to a standard. He plays hard but just suffers from lack of focus sometimes. We took the number 6 six team in the country right down to the wire. We lost by a few crazy threes. Be proud and if your real fans support the team and quit hating on one player.

AsadZ 9 years, 3 months ago

As a KU fan by no means I am hating on TT. I want KU to become better. I want this team to be successful and I just can't see it with TT running the PG position. He is a skilled player. he is very athletic. However he cant focus for long time. This is a very thin team. It is an inexperienced team. margin for error is very small. It is evident. Thus, I am suggesting to have EJ run the point and switch TT to 2.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 3 months ago

Being todays is thanksgiving, i think we all need to take a step away from the outcome of the game for second, and appreciate what we witnessed last night.

That was some of the best coaching i've seen in a college basketball game this early in a season ever. You had the all times win leader vs one of the favorites to someday take over the crown.

Its november and Self and K had their teams competing like its late march. Selfs timeout with 1:44 left down by 2 was brillant! his team was gassed, they got a breather and a good look from EJ to take the lead 61-60.

But the same timeout showed us why coach K has earned his mantle of the winningest coach in history, he reaches deep into the bench for a kid nobody's heard of. and knowing Self would most likely get his team a bucket with his call, tells his team to sprint back downcourt after the made basket and try to catch KU napping.

Kid no name hits a 3 and Self is forced to take another time out to set up another must-score offensive situation.

The master and the apprentice,

Self is going to learn from that exchange.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes, but give Self credit for how much he has achieved. 5 McDonald's Americans against a team with no McDonald's Americans. And the team with 5 MDonald's American only win by 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I look at Self as the master and Coach K as the apprentice. Coach K can only get 5 McDonald's All Amerians to beat 1 starter and 4 other guys who historially come off the bench or are walk ons by 7.

Take that and tell me who is the better coach?

And throw in some iffy foul calls that some people say happened to benefit Duke the master not, and what do you say?

Ben Simonett 9 years, 3 months ago

The point of my post was to show that the only thing seperating Self and Coach K is experience. On an X's and O's level theres no difference.

Ks just been doing it longer and over the course of time you learn things that you can't pick up from a whiteboard or a coaching clinic.

He showed us one of those things that night. I'm sure Self wont ever let that happen again. He'll file that in his book of coaching life experiences and be a better coach because of it.

As good as he is now, Self is going to be a savant by the time hes been coaching as long as K has.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

The best comment from the announcers who are so Duke loyal, was their comment after posting a graphic that only 3 KU players were providing offense was that it is not true with the defense.

Meaning that there were more then 3 players providing defense. So rag on Releford's offense but give him credit for his defense.

Not sure but I think he gets one of the hardest offensive targets.

Read my comment below about the bottom line. Get in touch with facts and get real.

BOOOOYAAAAH!

Steve Kubler 9 years, 3 months ago

Ignore Hihawk OrangeD he obviously has no idea how basketball is played as a team sport rather than as streetball. Releford ran his butt off on D, normally out on the perimeter which limited his offensive rebounding. His job was to hound the best Duke player on the floor (perimeter wise) and he did a damn fine job of it.

brooksmd 9 years, 3 months ago

Once again we can count on you to bring Brady into the mix.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

Here is the bottom line:

5 McDonald's All Americans played a team with no McDonald's All Americans.

5 McDonald's All Americans played a team with 1 starter and 4 guys who historically came off the bench or are walk ons.

The McDonald's All Americans only won by 7 points.

Some say the team that lost has an awful coach. But when you look at facts, how can that be?

KUBB played a great game. KUBB only lost because of 3 points. Is that talent or fundamentals?

Jayhawks, on the first Monday in April whether you are playing Duke, Kentucky, or some other team play your game and win.

You guys are great and so are your coaches.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

Meant 3 pointers and not 3 points.

Booooyyyyyaaaa!

RCJHKU!

Booooyyyyaaaaa!

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

And one more comment about our apprentice coach or coaches:

Withey.

I guess that Coach K was transmitting his coaching of Withey over the clouds and not in person. Because surely Self and Manning had nothing to do with his performance in the game against Duke.

Withey was not at the level last year to contribute so our apprentice coach and apprentice assistant coach did nothing to develop him. But from long distance, coach K developed him in to the player that he was in the Duke game.

The Duke loving announcers kept talking about Withey having his best game at KU.

For all you "Coach Self is awful" fans, thanks to Coach K for turning Withey into a player..

Seriously, for all you "Self is not a good coach".... dont let facts hit you in the head to knock you out of your fantasy.

JacquesMerde 9 years, 3 months ago

The quality of most of the comments in this posting are of the quality of KU's football team. Why alums should put down one of the better players on this baskeball team, which is much better than most expected, is nuts. KU really does have a lot of s hit h eads as graduates or near graduates or fans.

REHawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Okay, TT bootlickers, look at the situation this way. How many of those 11 turnovers might have led to points for us if they did not occur? And has anyone run a chart on how many points the Dookies scored off those turnovers?
We had 4 other players on that court whose flow and statlines were affected adversely by the turnovers. The kid is a senior and has been placed in the position of leadership by his coaching staff. Keegan's ratings and the diehard TT supporters look at those 17 points and say WOW!, where would the team have been without them? I say, What might our other 4 guys and Duke have done without the huge turnover stat? Maybe TT's blunders last night will go down as a season anomaly; but I see a pattern. They probably cost us this game.

hewn 9 years, 3 months ago

I've had my share of frustration with Taylor over his time here, but I really wasn't particularly upset with him in this last performance. Sure it would have been better if he would have been able to retain more possessions. But it just floors me that anyone who watched the entire game could think that the bad outweighed the good. He was one of 3 players to score double-digits for KU. He was a major part of the success we did have last night and will be integral to the team's success this season.

I know it may not seem likely for a point guard to show much improvement over his senior campaign, but don't count him out just yet.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

HawkKlaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Any other year, if KU was off to a 3-2 start I would be irate. But this is supposed to be a "down" year for KU, and we have only lost to Duke and UK, two of the best programs in the country. This squad is definitely surpassing my expectations.

TT definitely needs to take care of the ball better. But like Self said, when your offense is centered around driving the lane, there are going to be sloppy turnovers. See Sherron Collins. But as the season goes on, TT will learn. He is the general of this team. After watching him last year in the Big 12 tourney, I'm confident he can get the job done.

Sometimes I feel that TRob is trying to do too much. At the end of the Duke game, he tried three straight layups that all got blocked. This shows me that he's still learning how to lead this team. He does need to put the team on his back, but he also needs to realize that, when he's getting a lot of attention on defense, he should kick it out to the wing for (hopefully) an unguarded three point attempt. I think that is something Self and Manning will work on with him.

The force is strong with Withey. He has shown, against some really good competition, that he can hang with the big dogs. He is better than we expected. He does get pushed around, but he also pushes back. And did you see that sky-hook??? His level of play is making up for how thin our bench is in the down-low positions.

I think Releford did a lot better this tournament. He is clearly on the court for his defense against the oppositions top player, but I still think he can contribute more on offense. Maybe it is just a confidence issue. I think he should be scoring 10+ every night.

I know the scoreboard said that we only lost to UK by 10, but that game sure felt like a blowout towards the middle of the second half. A week later against Duke, arguably a better team than UK, and the game comes down to a miraculous three pointer off a blown travel call (not that I'm complaining...I know we didn't lose because of the refs). If we had been a tad luckier (and had less turnovers from TT), we could have beat Duke. That's more than I (and most of you) expected from this KU team.

dochambers 9 years, 3 months ago

If y'all want to feel a little more nonplussed, here's another little tidbit re: Tyler Thornton's magic shots: Prior to our game he had played something like 100 minutes...and had only taken NINE (that's 9) shots!

Sam Constance 9 years, 3 months ago

The Tyshawn haters are stupid. I love how everyone thinks it's so easy to remove Taylor from the game to rid ourselves of his 11 turnovers, but still not miss his defensive ability, his playmaking ability and his scoring ability.

For starters, the number of turnovers was made worse by the refs, as I counted AT LEAST three "turnovers" that were the direct result of a bad call. Whether it was a no call when Taylor lost the ball for being raked across the arm or bouncing the ball out of bounds after being rammed by a moving Duke defender's knee, they weren't all his fault. I know it's easy to say "yeah, but Taylor needs to be strong with the ball anyway", but in my opinion that's a garbage comment for people who just don't like Taylor. Why should Taylor be expected to play through what are obvious fouls when not playing against Duke?

Of course, eight turnovers is still bad, but there's something about double-digits that perks everyone's ears up, for good or bad. Throw in the fact that 11 is a KU single-game record as well as the fact that Taylor has always been a, shall we say "controversial" player amongst the KU faithful, and he had no chance to impress with his 20+ minutes of excellent PG play and 30+ minutes of stellar defense.

Aside from all the reasons Taylor should stay our PG for his own merit, there is not a good replacement for him on the roster. EJ is a decent ballhandler, but only in limited minutes as the primary guy. Plus, if you put the ball in his hands too much, I think it takes away from his ability as a SG. Naadir, as promising as he has looked at times, is a freshman. He will still be a freshman--albeit a more experienced one--come March and April. He is not the type to become the unflappable team leader that KU will need for late-season, high-pressure tourney games in a single season, no matter how much he is used. And that doesn't even address the issue of how many games KU would have to lose to steel the young point into our permanent answer as ballhandler.

I trust in Taylor, just like I expected Withey to finally start putting it together this season, as he has done so far. I'm not going to let a perfect storm of officiating and some ballhandling carelessness force me to give up on someone we will need for postseason success and another conference title this season.