Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mike Krzyzewski lauds ‘dream shot’

The Blue Devils celebrate after a turnover out of bounds by Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor late in the second half on Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey talk in the postgame press conference following the Jayhawks' 68-61 loss to Duke on Nov. 23, 2011.

Download podcast

— Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski had a good look at guard Tyler Thornton’s back-breaking three-pointer with 20 seconds left.

“It’s a dream shot,” Krzyzewski said following Duke’s 68-61 victory over Kansas University on Wednesday night. “We’re lucky. People will say it’s a lucky shot, and I will tell you, I’m lucky to have him on my team to shoot the shot.

“Sometimes, you’re just on a bus with a guy that deserves to win. For that moment, we were on his bus, and thank goodness he knew how to drive it.”

Thornton, whose shot extended Duke’s lead to 66-61, was defended closely on the play by KU guard Elijah Johnson.

“When Seth (Curry) kicked me the ball, I looked at the shot clock, and there were three seconds,” Thornton said. “I just tried to get up a good shot. Once it left my hand, I kind of felt like it was going to be good, and I’m lucky it was.”

The high-arching attempt beat the shot-clock buzzer and ended any KU hopes of a comeback.

KU coach Bill Self said after the game that Thornton might not have even seen the basket because he was covered so closely.

“I saw the rim, but it was a tough shot,” Thornton said. “I think Johnson was on me and contested really well.”

That same scenario played out five times during the tournament, and Thornton had the ball each time. Krzyzewski said Thornton scored on four of those five possessions.

“I couldn’t believe he got the shot off,” Krzyzewski said of Thornton’s final three. “Getting the shot off, that was the main thing, because then you keep the clock running, and you’ve got a chance for an offensive rebound. It going in was obviously amazing.”

Krzyzewski also lauded forward Mason Plumlee, who posted 17 points and 12 rebounds against KU.

“I’ve done this a long time. That was the key to the game,” Krzyzewski said. “I know he didn’t make the all-tournament team or whatever, but he made my team. We don’t win this championship without him.”

Asked why he was so fired up on the sideline during most the game, Krzyzewski said he did it for his players.

“I want to win,” Krzyzewski said. “I wanted them to see I haven’t retired yet.”

Comments

Alohahawk 9 years, 3 months ago

I mentioned on another post, it's the "Tennessee curse shot". KU lost to Tennessee two years ago because a nobody that probably never made another shot for them, except during cleanup minutes of a blowout, beat KU with a last second throw up that, luckily for them, fell in. If Curry or one of Duke's regular 3 point shooters makes those shots, then Duke beats KU fair and square. But if that's the only way Duke can beat KU, by a lucky shot by a nobody. Give me a break.

Would love for KU to have a second chance at retribution come tourney time.

Ryan Mullen 9 years, 3 months ago

Dude hit the three twice got to give him credit. Even if he is a nobody.

yates33333 9 years, 3 months ago

But you've got to wonder what Coach K would have said if it missed and KU got the rebound and subsequently scored and won the game. You gotta wonder, unfortunately.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Coach K would have said he had to shoot, the clock was winding down.

railer20 9 years, 3 months ago

Bilas also said he had only hit two all season before his two "big" shots

jayhawker97 9 years, 3 months ago

i didn't hear any mentioning about coach K giving credits to KU efforts, either. is he really a classy coach?

Kye Clark 9 years, 3 months ago

No mention of the travel that allowed the shot to take place?

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Go to ESPN3 and watch the replay of TT's last turnover. The kid from Duke threw a knee in there causing the turnover. And then the travel. The refs twice took opportunities from us to win the game in the last minute of the game.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Well obviously hay. I focused on the last minute when the refs took the opportunity from us twice to win the game. Sure, there's many other plays in the previous 39 minutes and one minute doesn't make a game, but when it's your last chance it looms large.

JamesA 9 years, 3 months ago

+1 Wissox. Denying KU the opportunity to answer by ignoring a blatant body check by Kelly, bothers me much more than the missed travel calls that lead to Thornton's desperation, game clinching 3.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 3 months ago

What travel? As you know .. as referees say .. it didn't happen unless the refs call it. Referees at all levels get by with incompetence that goes unpunished, chalking any mistakes up to "it's a hard job" or "humans make mistakes." The absolute worst part of sports.

Gary Denning 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, thank goodness we have people like you to point out that game officials are not perfect. The big problem is that the millions of people who could do a far superior job of officiating major college games are watching at home. I'm guessing you are among those millions.

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

Yeah- I'd like to see the many TT critics do a better job with dook players throwing some nice knees to disrupt your game. It's the dook way people. When they feel threatened, Coach K coaches his players to reduce themselves to little tricks to get the advantage. TT was taking Curry and Rivers to school too.

So, just as many are in the millions that could do a better job of officiating, you and some others are also the other million that thinks TT should be much better his senior yr.

Give TT the same pass you give the officials. TT may not be the best player too some but he is our pg and Self says he's ok.

Matt Bowers 9 years, 3 months ago

Thank you. He traveled twice as I recall. While I'm in the giving spirit, thank you officials for helping Coach K to another victory. Officiating crews are getting way too out of hand when it comes to ACC teams. I hate to sound like a sore looser, but I am pissed at the way this game was called.

Great game Jayhawks, could've went without TT turning the ball over 11 times, but he had good intentions and he'll get better.

Rock Chalk

dochambers 9 years, 3 months ago

Rock Chalk, indeed. We taped the game and watched this morning. My Dookie wife complained the whole game about the way the refs were calling everything KU's way...but she kissed me and said we played well...even though we lost. Bummer. Come March we can maybe get another shot at 'em!

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Good thing you waited til morning, one of ya'll might've been made to sleep on the couch!

jcourt 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey KuStrong, (He'll get better) Have you been watching him 4 yrs? I hate to say this but i think Pot Head.

John Fryback 9 years, 3 months ago

ICT, you beat me to it, I was more surprised there was no travel called on Curry than the shot going in....? On second thought ESPN, Duke ...no I'm not.

ballgame 9 years, 3 months ago

Our biggest issue is our depth. It felt like we ran out of gas at the end and, IMO, led to a lot of the turnovers and missed opportunities at the basket late in the game. Naadir's development is going to be as important as the development of any single player that I can remember during my years as a Jayhawk fan, as Connor's limitations were somewhat exposed during the trip.

However, that was a slug fest between two heavy weights and a blast to watch! I can't believe it was only a November game. Even Coach Self and Coach K were getting after it like it was the first weekend in April. I think that the journey with this KU team is going to be a lot of fun, frustrating, exciting, hair pulling and wild as any I can imagine and I am going to enjoy every second of the ride!

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

LOL- He'll do better too. This is his first year, like Teahan to play some real minutes. Give them a break. They're all smart guys and know how to play. They will make adjustments from these games. They'll go far in the B12.

I do like the part about waking and having two fouls before the bathroom. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are and thanks for the laugh.

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 3 months ago

Wesley will improve..he has great athleticism which will help. Conner, on the other hand is a 5th year senior, so what you see is about all you'll get.

John Mueller 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, that was a great game. Hate, hate, hate to lose to Duke and particularly to that Coach. I know he's a quality guy and an all time great, but i always feel like he expects his team to be treated differently, and they often do and that's not fair.

Having said that, give them credit. Their program is special, they are smart, they have good players and they are darn hard to beat.

Proud of this team. It is the type of game many of us expected alot this year. We will compete but we won't always win.

Agree with ballgame, Teahan can shoot, but he just doesn't belong on the court very often against great athletes.

TT? "C'mon Man!!!!" You are a senior. Time to stop making freshman plays.

How can anybody have that kind of athletic ability and not figure out how to make fewer careless, completely mindless mistakes? disappointing.

Great game. We were absolutely the better team for alot of the game, but we completely waste too many possessions.

hathead 9 years, 3 months ago

Larry Drew IV set a world record for turnovers last night. In fact, though he went over the 1000pt mark, his total, with TOs factored in, is probably NEGATIVE. KU should not have even been in such a tight situation. I think HCBS has finally figured this out and that's why he says in one of these articles something to the effect, "looking back on it I should've substituted him (TT) more". I hope he really understands this...

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 3 months ago

And who do you suggest he puts in? Did we sign an experienced point guard at halftime?

JayhawkPiller82 9 years, 3 months ago

At least Tharp's mistakes ARE freshman mistakes. He WILL get better with more playing time. TT, out of control or not(rarely) is the best we have, so let's just make due and hope NT develops faster.. I still love this team and know we'll be better come March..RC

Joe Baker 9 years, 3 months ago

I remember a pg named Sherron Collins who was pretty damn good that made some pretty dumb out of control mistakes too.

hathead 9 years, 3 months ago

Tharpe, Young, Lindsay, some random fan, my grandmother...anyone with at least the potential to not set records for turning the ball over.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 3 months ago

There was a travel, and there was a lucky shot. But we were down by 2 when he hit the three. It's not as if we were guaranteed to make a shot on the next possession. In fact, the way things were going, Tyshawn might have thrown the ball in the Pacific before we ever got a shot off. I was impressed by our showing this week. This team has so little depth, to play with the no. 6 team for 40 minutes in the third game in three days is impressive. I think this team will continue to get better and once we develop some of the depth, we could be a really tough out come March!

brooksmd 9 years, 3 months ago

There ya go. Short on depth, early season big game, and 3 games in 3 days. I think the kids done good. Going to be a fun season.

jamsim3 9 years, 3 months ago

I have to applaud the effort and intensity KU played this game. Before the game I would not have bet KU would win this game but it is clear now KU should have won this game and KU was the better team. There have been few KU teams which have played lockdown defense on the perimeter against the best shooting team in college basketball like the fellas did last night. Still, KU lost and the same old reason rears its ugly head. You just cannot have a point guard who turns the ball over as much as TyShawn does and expect to beat a quality opponent. His turnovers take the heart out of the team and it does not matter how hard TyShawn plays or how big his heart is. Facts are facts and I could feel the team energy leaving in the 2nd half everytime he got the ball waiting for a mishap instead of concentrating on running the plays. Naadir, saddle up buddy cause KU needs you to develope quickly. Coach Self gave TT 4 years to get the TO's out of his system and now it's time to move on and get Naadir ready. Contrary to the ESPN hype about this being a down year for KU it clearly does not have to be. They proved last night they can play with the best and the road to the Big 12 Championship still goes through Lawrence.

Carolyn Hunzicker 9 years, 3 months ago

WHEN I SEE BILL SELF GET INTO TYSHON'S FACE AND GET HIS FULL ATTENTION, I WILL BE A SELF FAN. TAYLOR LOST THE GAME WITH 11 TURNOVERS.

Jordan Brown 9 years, 3 months ago

Really? That's when you become a Self fan? Not after he's taken three teams (Tulsa, Illinois, and KU) to the elite eight? Not when he won against the "unstoppable" Memphis team to win us a championship? How dumb.

JamesA 9 years, 3 months ago

Stop that. No matter the performance, a loss is never one player's fault.

dylans 9 years, 3 months ago

How about Billy Thomas missing 13 3's?

Carolyn Hunzicker 9 years, 3 months ago

For years now, Kansas has allowed the majority of the teams to have a wide-open three point shot. They never get in the face of the shooters and never play zone to try and halt the three point runs. Guess the figure, you can't beat us shooting three's WELL !!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 3 months ago

Knowing Duke lives and dies by the three pointer yet we get outscored 33 to 6 !!!!???

Can someone explain to me why part of the blame for this loss does not land on the coaching staff??

Sparko 9 years, 3 months ago

My issue is that Coach K intimidated the officials and got every single call in crunch time. Every. Single One. And yeah, it made a difference like always.

CrissaxJayhawk16 9 years, 3 months ago

Exactly! I understand that he is a great coach but he just needs to let them play the damn game! He whines so much it sickens me. I'm just glad Bill doesn't act like that. He gets pissed but he doesn't try to make a case for a call that wasn't even there to begin with. I'm proud of our boys regardless, they played one hell of a game. We have to understand that Tyshawn was probably exhausted and Bill should have taken him out and given Naadir some play time. We might have been able to stop all the turnovers that way. RCJH!

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

Consonants never misses a chance to stick the needle in.

There is only one dream shot.

Only one "The Shot."

Mario Chalmers made it.

Coach Kdippshzz is steeling our thunder.

Undermine. Undermine. Undermine.

Cheap shot. Cheap shot. Cheap shot.

Undermine some more.

He is what he is.

A rat faced cheater.

He ordered his team to cheap shot from 12 to 14 minutes in during the first half, when his team went cold from trey and KU started to separate. The refs let him. Self had no answer. Without the cheap shooting, KU would have gone in 10-12 points up and would have had an easy go of it the second half, even with 25% trey shooting and 11 pop tarts fresh from Tyshawn's oven.

Bottom line: KU is the better team. KU is more efficient inside. KU shot the better FG percentage. KU controlled the boards. KU shot better free throws. KU just could not overcome 25% trey shooting. This is how it goes. KU lost to UK when it shot 25% from trey. KU lost to Duke, when KU shot 25% from trey. No team can beat a Top 10 team shooting 25% from trey. Nearly statistically impossible, unless the other teams shoots under 30% from trey.

We now know KU is better than Duke and can probably learn to play against UK's length by season's end.

This KU team is in a great position to get better and ready to beat Ohio State. KU needs that win to prove it can beat a big dog on a good shooting day and as a springboard into the conference season.

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

Self has strung something together here that few including me seriously expected: a team that can intimidate Top Ten programs inside and out pressure them on the outside.

Self has to use the next few weeks to develop Kevin Young. Self has to be able to go to KY for mismatches at the 3. Thomas steps out, while KY posts his wing man up inside...what Self talked about trying last season with Mario Little. The time is now for developing this capability. Thomas showed he has the 15-20 footer to be respected when he steps out. KY will have 3-4 inches on almost every wing he posts up inside. This play would have crushed Duke the first half and lead to a blow out. Period. It would also have put a lot of pressure on Kidd-Gilchrist of UK--taken him way out of his comfort zone. Develop the KY post up weapon, and this team has all the other pieces needed.

Regarding Tyshawn: every player has a night mare game his senior season. This was his. It has to be. From here on out, the moment he makes 6 TOs he should sit for the rest of the game. Period. No questions asked. Tyshawn is a senior. He's not going to get better at this part of his game. When he loses focus, which has always been his chronic problem, he has to be pulled. Over the last three seasons he has made great, great progress in upping his concentration. But his senior year is not the year to be working on improving concentration. You play which what brung you your senior year. He is a terrific player and I am proud to have him be our PG and our team leader, but when he loses focus he needs to tell Self and he needs to sit. In focus, we have no one on the perimeter better in terms of the total package. Out of focus, both EJ and Naadir are better. So: Tyshawn, forget this game. Think next. You guys have the pieces for an exceptional team. And I mean exceptional.

Penultimate thing to work on along with readying KY for a post up weapon from the 3 is....

Withey is playing exceptionally well and, frankly, with TRob having lost his springs, blends well with TRob and makes KU a formidable team inside on offense and defense.

Withey's only major weakness, outside of lack of mass, is his post defense when a player like Plumlee crowds in on him and shoots floaters over him.

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

I said in pre game comments that Coach Kdippshzz would take the game to Withey in order to neutralize his alterations of other players' shooting.

What surprised me was the Coach Kdippshzz underestimated Withey and resisted doing the smart thing until it was in desperation in the second half.

Regardless, Coach Kdippshzz proved my point about Withey. Plumlee could and did crowd him down low successfully the second half and shoot little floaters over him. Jeff is a one step jumper. With no steps he's got very little bounce and so even a guy two inches shorter, like Plumlee, if he's got the back to the basket foot work to crowd Jeff can get off little floaters all day.

The solution is pretty simple, but takes practice and footwork. Jeff has to lead with one one knee and stop doing so much upper body leaning. He's got to knee a guy like Plumlee so hard that he is bruising Plumlee constatntly over the game. Remember how Kaun lead with the knee and held with the hands. You never lower your shoulder into a guy crowding you. You widen your stance, lower yourself some, but always lead with the knee and use your back foot for pushing forward. to drive the knee into Plumlee.

The moment Jeff let his shoulders come in contact with Plumlee than all Plumlee had to do was lean into Jeff and then jump and shoot the floater. Jeff's feet were always planted to the floor and his weight was always on his back foot, so he was never in position to step and jump. He always had to just jump and he is not a good enough no step jumper to block or alter against a jumping Plumlee.

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

Lead with the knee. Feel with the knee and hands to sense which way Plumlee is trying to move, then knee him in the opposite direction. Push with the hands when the refs cannot see. Keep jabbing with the knee each time Plumlee unweights a little. When unweighted, he weighs nothing. Regardless of his weight advantage he keeps drifting outward on each unweighting. Keep your own weight on the forward foot, but never let your shoulder lean into him. The moment he feels your shoulder leaning, he drives into you a half step and goes up and you can't jump with him. Keep your back foot ready to one step jump, when ever Plumlee commits to a floater. Drive him the way he does not want to go each time he unweights. It will work every time. But it takes work on the footwork. And you are going to get called for a few fouls, but that's life in the paint. Do this and elbow him constantly when he is away from the ball and tries to come by you. And when ever he tries to make you chase him, trip him. You have to trip him every time. If the referee does not see the tripping every time he will call it a foul. Always, always, always trip from behind. The object of the game, when you are the lighter big, is to make the big realize there is no free lunch ever.

Withey can learn to play defense this way against crowders like Plumlee.

Tyshawn's 11 TO game is past tense.

Justin has proven he can guard the post against UK, Georgetown, UCLA and Duke. He's not great by any means, but he can get the job done for short stretches and he is getting better.

Naadir even showed a brief stretch of being able to guard D1 grade. By January, Naadir will be automatic for the defense....not a great defender, not a lock down defender, but good enough to go to even in a pinch.

Conner's got to start pulling the trigger.

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

EJ is proving that he is a D1 gunslinger. He can launch long range and make. EJ still hasn't quite got a feel for how far really quick guards can reach on passes. But its coming.

Travis actually played a very good floor game, even though the line score did not look like much.

KU was flat out better than Duke first five vs. first five.

Naadir, Justin and Conner are still getting oriented to D1,but frankly proved they can cope. They weren't better than Duke's reserves,but they were good enough for KU to have won on a good shooting night.

Kevin Young is the next piece of this puzzle. We have to have him. We have to have his defense come together, so that we can put him at the 3 and post him up. With that option in hand, plus what we already have, this team can compete with anyone. Period.

We've been skirmishing now on Guadalcanal for a month. It got very ugly vs. UK. But the hand to hand combat with Georgetown and UCLA favored us. Had we not blown cold from trey, or had Tyshawn not gone pop tart crazy, we would be sitting pretty. As it is, we have carved out a foothold on The Canal and we have proven we can guard Henderson Field, but when our guns jam, we are not yet hungry enough and jungle savvy enough to out cheap shot an opponent when we need to. We going to have a tune up game or two and then we are going back out into the jungle. December in the jungle is going to determine whether this team enters conference with a swagger, or carrying wounded and scratching and biting just to survive. But either way, no one gets off The Canal alive without killing their way out.

The pieces are there. We just have to keep the rifles cleaned and firing. 25% doesn't get it.

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

Because basketball beats turkey. Why are you blogging? :-)

jaybate 9 years, 3 months ago

kusportsdotcom,

Happy Holidays. I am sorry if you are having a tough go. Hang in. It appears the 99% are coming.

Rock Chalk!.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 3 months ago

Of all the calls the referrees made, the ones that made me the most mad, was when EJ was having a great start and they hung two on him in a few seconds, followed by his replacement Teahon who received a quick 2. I'm not saying one of those may have been a foul, but they all seemed like silly fouls.

The charge call, was one of the few fouls that could have gone either way that went KU's way, but after that call, there was no chance that KU was going to get another border line call.

I thought KU had them, but one of my fears is we can't put away teams. Against UK, Duke, Georgetown, and UCLA we let the teams back in, when we had the control of the game. The good news this is early and is a team full of first year starters and roll players. KU will be awesome. Don't be surprised if we beat Ohio State University (at AFH) and my prediction is about 14-2 in conference play. Loss at OSU and at Baylor, but we will win the big xii by 2 games.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 3 months ago

Heads up: Every other team to face Duke........

"Krzyzewski said that when the play clock runs under five seconds, the Duke coaches call out a color, which indicates the player with the ball should shoot it."

Beate Williams 9 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate I thought that was a great post and very perceptive relative to Withey and Young. TT and the pop tarts is a good comment and I too believe he will not have another game like that. Obviously CS felt like he had to have him in there or he would have given him more time to get a bit of rest and get back in--in fact that is what he meant that one of the bloggers took the wrong way. Look at the number of TOs he had before the tournament. We need to hit the trey but I think it incredible that we had a great chance of winning the Duke game without hitting the Trey. This team can play defense. The first Thornton trey was as a result of the team being told he was not a concern and the second was pure luck, asi es la vida; manana es otro dia.

Steve Brown 9 years, 3 months ago

November to March my favorite time of the year.

RCJHGKU