Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson elevates to pass along the baseline as he is defended by Duke guard Andre Dawkins during the first half Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

KU coach Bill Self, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey talk in the postgame press conference following the Jayhawks' 68-61 loss to Duke on Nov. 23, 2011.

Download podcast

The all-tournament team: Thomas Robinson, Kansas; Jason Clark, Georgetown; Tim Hardaway, Jr., Michigan; Austin Rivers, Duke. MVP: Ryan Kelly, Duke.

KU’s Tyshawn Taylor had a career-high 11 turnovers, most in a game in KU school history. The previous record was nine twice, the last by Jerod Haase versus Baylor on Jan. 11, 1997. The other player and game could not be located in the record books. Since the 1997-98 season, no Jayhawk has had more than eight in a game.

“He’ll be fine,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He played great. He got careless there in the second half, but we put the ball in his hands a lot. We told him the game plan was drive it, drive it. When that is your game plan ... he got out of control on key possessions the second half. But I thought for the most part he played really well. Looking back now, I wish I subbed him a bit. He played well. He competed hard. I thought our whole team really tried.”

KU’s Robinson had 16 points and 15 rebounds.

“Like we said yesterday, this is what we came to Kansas for ... for games like this,” he said. “I haven’t been around that long. I’m still a young player. But I do believe that game will go down as one of the top games of the tournament. It's too bad we got the short end of the stick, but I feel that my team got better. We did accomplish something when we came to the islands, and we'll go back to Kansas a better team. So I'm happy, but at the same time, I wanted to have the trophy.”

Jeff Withey had 14 points and 10 boards.

“Like Thomas said, we come to Kansas to play big games like this. It was a rough game. We were going at it the entire game. It's unfortunate that we lost, but like Thomas said, we got a lot better over this tournament. We've got to take good thoughts and bring it back home and try building off of it. You know, it sucks that we lost, but we're going to go uphill from here and we're going to learn a lot from this game.”

Self on Withey: “I thought Jeff was outstanding. I thought he was a presence. I also thought yesterday (in win over UCLA) he got some big-boy rebounds in the first half when he's really challenged. In the Georgetown game I don't believe he was as big a factor because of fouls, but I thought he played terrific. That is one thing about our team. I think there is a lot of room for improvement because Travis (Releford) making key plays for us over here, and Jeff and Elijah (Johnson). These are guys, in Conner (Teahan) and Jeff, these are guys that have never really been in the game except as a complimentary role when it's not on the line. So I thought we got better, and I certainly thought Jeff played really big.”

Comments

kusportsdotcom 9 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn's 11 TO's aside... how about that reverse layup he had? He took off from outside the key and put it in the other side of the hoop. Sweet.

railer20 9 years, 3 months ago

How about the other time he tried to do it with 4 Duke players around him and got swatted easily instead of kicking out to someone who was obviously open

Christopher Giordano 9 years, 3 months ago

When T-Rav, EJ and Whithey realize how good they can be, the Jayhawks will be a tough team to beat in late March and April.

The Jayhawks are going to be a better team because of this setback.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

kadub6 9 years, 3 months ago

Ty's last two turnovers were definitely not his fault. Felt he got a bad call on the charge because Curry was still moving and Kelly blocked him on the ball that went off his leg OB. Nonetheless, wish he'd get more in control going in the lane.

Was a great game for this early in the year and as everyone said - something to build on.

ccarp 9 years, 3 months ago

Big improvement gained over the last week, keep building hawks!

Ashwin Rao 9 years, 3 months ago

Even though we lost, I am very proud of the guys! We did show them that we were men among the men... We really deserved the top 15 billing.

AsadZ 9 years, 3 months ago

I have always been a big fan of TT,and I was really expecting great play from him this year. However, after last night's championship game, I have come to conclusion that KU will be better off with EJ being the point guard. TT just can't contol himself in Big games, 11 turnovers is unacceptable from senior leader.

I felt offense ran much smoothly in previous games with EJ at point. HCBS should try this move now rather than Feb/Mar.

I still believe TT is a very good player but he can't be counted on to be team leader.

On the bright side I agree that this was a great tournament for KU and team will get better. It was very encouraging to see development in Whitey's game. He is taking upward steps in every game. If he continues to play like this KU will be a force in March.

jrbill67 9 years, 3 months ago

As soon as the most talented player on the team, Taylor, starts using his skills and his head, KU will win a lot of games. As long as Taylor uses his skills and no brains, KU will lose to good teams. He has no concept of game management; everything's a Sportcenter highlight for him. Most of his turnovers are unforced. It could be an incredible year if he played within himself, but he still doesn't get it.

Steve Reigle 9 years, 3 months ago

TT in my opinion was trying to be a leader. He was trying to take charge and fire up the team. The result was a lot of turnovers but he's trying and he's learning. Over time I believe he'll get better. He'll get there. A pat on the back to TT for making the effort.

Beate Williams 9 years, 3 months ago

+1. There is progression here on everyone's part. I too think that TT learned a great deal and it is obvious that HCBS believes in him; I'm not one to believe that I know more about coaching than BS. I think the primary reason we were on the verge of winning this thing w/o those lucky unexpected threes, was because of the coaching. I think we performed well; thought it didn't bother me that we lost but I could not go to sleep because of those last three minutes--what if?

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

What if?:

What if KU had 5 McDonalds All Americans?

What if the twins did not go pro?

What if TT was coached by someone else who was not as clueless as Self?

What if we had players who were not historically players who came off the bench or were walk ons?

What if we had players and coaches who whined about not really fouls never being called?

What if we had great refs?

Seriously people who know better about BB than I do, KU played a great game.............

RCJHKU

brooksmd 9 years, 3 months ago

People have been saying "over time he will get better" for three years. He's quickly running out of time.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 3 months ago

Imagine if EJ had another game where he was on fire! His contributions were huge but nowhere close enough to compensate for the turnovers by Taylor. It would be nice for two guards to have big games together, in the same game. Tharpe was not going to be the bench guy in this game to push us ahead. We're so dependent on the low post to dominate, we're not prepared to be as balanced a scoring team as in the past. Duke, on the other hand has that balance. We'll have our hands full in several games this season. Hopefully, by March, we're as good as most of us think we are capable of being and can prove it in the Dance. For now, let's play hard and not play to the level of our competition. Being consistently disciplined is the key.

Alohahawk 9 years, 3 months ago

"Not play to the level of our competition." In retrospect, the Jayhawks did just the opposite over the three game stretch on Maui.

Played good against a good Georgetown team, and only won by 4.

Played a mediocre UCLA team good during the first and last few minutes. But let UCLA's incompetence lead to lazyness and overconfidence on the Jayhawks' part during the middle section of the game. Won by 16, but KU should have won by at least twice that much.

Played a very good Duke team even up, till the last minute or so. The game could have have gone either way.

So, yes. KU just needs to stay focused on their own capabilities, and not let the flow of the game influence those abilities.

kupark 9 years, 3 months ago

Kansas will struggle against a more balanced team. Duke is full of guards who like to take 3 pointers and still Kansas got roughed up inside. We will struggle against any quality front court. Lack of depth at the front court is glaring.

Also wondering why Self didn't design a play or two for Conner?

AsadZ 9 years, 3 months ago

We have been watching TT for 3 years and keep saying that he will learn from mistakes and get better. While I have always been his fan and I still like him as a player, I have lost confidence that he can be the dominant/reliable point guard and bring senior leadership to this young/thin team.

To win against quality opponents, this team will have to play with very little margin for error. Players will have to very focused on every possession. I just don't think TT can focus for extended periods of time.

I strongly feel that HCBS should roll the dice and hand PG job to EJ, and have TT play at 2. Its better to work on this change now then in Feb.

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately TT isn't a good enough shooter to play the 2. He needs to learn to pass off more and play under control. I don't think he is getting much better. I would say at this point what you see is what you get.

Orangedog87 9 years, 3 months ago

My bottom line on what these posts say.....

KU fans and alumni, surrender early and often .

But my suggestion is that KUBB is not KUFB.

RCJHKU

AZHawk72 9 years, 3 months ago

About once every two years, I'll say "I'm proud of the effort, and I see some improvement even though we lost to a quality opponent." This was one of those times.

If Coach Self is going to tell T.T. to drive and shoot or dish, there will be blood, er, turnovers. Too many 'Hawks looked gassed. Our depth isn't what it normally has been during the last few years, and it shows in shots coming up short and, seemingly, desperate decisions down low.

This will be a ten loss year, yet Withey had a career game, and I'm really happy for him. Robinson had a great tournament and is filling the stands with scouts. Johnson erupted when we needed him. Releford's best plays go relatively unnoticed. And Tharpe needs to develop quickly because we're asking Taylor to, perhaps, do too much.

While Taylor's eleven turnovers seem record-breakingly horrible, who else was going to make anything happen? He gave it his all, yet needs a blow about every 7-8 minutes. We need Tharpe to emerge to keep Taylor's wheels intact.

Dee Shaw 9 years, 3 months ago

Taylor is the most out of control player I have ever seen. Absolutely no discipline. I love Coach Self but Coach needs to really think about sitting his but the next two games. They are games you are going to win. Teach some discipline to this kid. Watching Taylor for me is one of the most frustrating things to do. I don't care who you are but when you PG has 11 TO's by himself you are not going to win many games.

Mark Lindrud 9 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. Our weaknesses are: TT plays out of control. Lack of overall depth. Consistent outside shooters. EJ is coming along but that is it at the moment. Teheran doesn't impress me because he can't create his own shot and is slow on defense.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 3 months ago

The big worry is three point shooting. We really don't have anyone who is an expert marksman. Last year we had several and still couldn't find anyone to hit shots when it counted against VCU. You have to hit threes in March and unless we get lucky with a hot player, it's certainly not going to happen with this team.

REHawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations, Thomas. A salty All-tournament first team. You were the best big man in the field.