Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tyshawn Taylor recovers from second-half cramps in KU victory over Georgetown

KU senior guard receives IV in locker room, able to return to contest

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor winces in pain as he lies on the ground with cramps during the second half on Monday, Nov. 21, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self and players

KU coach Bill Self, Tyshawn Taylor, Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 67-63 victory over Georgetown on Nov. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

— Tyshawn Taylor, who went up to contest a Georgetown shot, returned to earth with the sharpest pain in both his legs.

Kansas University’s 6-foot-3 senior point guard had been hit by the Hawaiian cramps — same malady that affected KU’s Aaron Miles, Nick Collison and Drew Gooden in a first-round Maui Invitational loss to Ball State back in 2001.

“It was one of the weirdest feelings ever,” said Taylor, who went down with 14:21 left in Monday’s 67-63 victory over the Hoyas. At the time, the score was tied, 46-46.

“Both my legs, my calves and my quad cramped at the same time, so I couldn’t bend them all for a couple seconds. The trainer came out and rubbed them out.”

Taylor was helped to the locker room where he received IV fluids. He returned with his right arm taped, KU building a three-point lead in his absence, 51-48, at 9:42.

“I knew I’d come back. I didn’t know I’d have to get IVs,” Taylor said. “Coming back was the easy part. Getting the IV was the hard part. That needle hurt.”

Taylor — he was sensational with 16 points off 5-of-9 shooting, including 3-of-3 from three — said overall, “it was a pretty weird feeling. It happened to me a couple years ago at practice, but never in a game. I couldn’t walk. I felt if I walked, my legs locked up.”

Taylor laughed when a media member asked if he felt like a hero, returning to help the Jayhawks land a spot in today’s 8:30 p.m., semifinal versus UCLA.

“I don’t think it was that serious,” Taylor said. “If I had a broken nose or broken bone and returned ... this was just cramps.”

KU junior Thomas Robinson, who had 20 points and 12 rebounds, also cramped up very late — with 2:02 left and KU up, 63-60. He was able to stay in the game, however.

“He’s OK. He’s getting some treatment now,” KU coach Bill Self said after the game.

Taylor indicated he’d “be fine,” for today’s semifinal, “after drinking some fluids and getting some rest.”

As far as the semifinal, KU will be playing a (1-2) UCLA team that slugged Chaminade, 92-60, in Monday’s opening round. UCLA holds a 10-6 advantage in the all-time series versus KU, but the Jayhawks have won two straight.

“I’m excited about this game. I think it’s going to be a fun game,” Taylor said. “It’s good competition out there. Last year was really close (77-76 KU win in Lawrence). They almost beat us. We’ll do what we did today, come out and compete.”

KU coach Self said: “I’m excited. Kansas/UCLA has a pretty nice ring to it. Ben’s teams are always good and sound, and they'll continue to get better. I think for the first time this year they'll have all of their pieces for the whole game. So we'll look forward to it, but we know it will be tough, especially on the short turnaround.”

• Highlights: Travis Releford on Monday had a putback with 2:35 left to give KU a 63-58 lead. He hit two free throws at :15.7 to give KU a 67-63 lead. Elijah Johnson had a big steal and bucket at 5:51 to give KU a 59-53 lead; also a layup at 1:05 to expand a 63-60 lead to five points.

“Elijah may have made the biggest basket of the game. When he went flat and took his man and got a layup there, late clock. That was an excellent play,” KU’s Self said. “Travis, I thought made about three great plays for us to really ice the win. He dove on the floor and got the jump ball and made two free throws. He did a lot of good things late. He (Releford) needed that. We needed that as a team and he needed that individually too. I thought overall it was a pretty good team effort.”

Releford noted: “It helped out a lot (his confidence). I knocked down mid-range jumpers. Most of the game I got the opponent's best scorers, so I needed to get after it on the defensive end and the offense will come.”

• Elijah Johnson on KU’s loud contingent of fans: “It doesn't surprise me. Our fans are great. They travel everywhere we go. They're willing to support us in whatever situation it is, so it doesn't surprise me too much. But it felt good to hear people chanting out and to have some support behind the bench and to be able to see a lot of blue in the crowd like that. It always feels good. It makes you more comfortable on the floor.”

Comments

GoodwinK 2 years, 8 months ago

Shouldn't have been swimming in the ocean...Compton should never be shirtless anyway.

goshenjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, the guy plays a good game and our Jayhawks win, and that's what you come up with? Lay off the hate already. Let's go Tyshawn, keep up the steady play. We need you to play a big part for us this year.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Really? Pretty sad post. TT has definitely matured as a player and played at a high level against a solid GTown. Fun game to watch!

okiedave 2 years, 8 months ago

When will these vicious maladies stop cycling through humanity -- Bubonic Plague, Polio, Diptheria -- now after a 10 yr. lull, cramps.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Quick turn around is right. 4 hours of sleep and back at it this morning. Fun game to watch with all the alley oops and lob passes to the rim. Looks like Robinson is going to have a double double every game this year. Now, let's go take care of UCLA and then (hopefully) onto Duke. Nothing would be sweeter at this point in the season than beating the Dookies.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

Withey's fifth foul was a blown call. He must have been verbaly drawing attention or something else that caused the ref to feel the need to send him to the bench. G'twn ddin't try to get the last foul on him, as they could have done. Had we lost the game, there should have been a complaint issued.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

No doubt a blown call but as I remember, the ref made an equally bad call on GTown the next possession. Of course it would have been best to get it right the first time but overall I thought the refs let them play and did a decent job.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

"Had we lost the game, there should have been a complaint issued. "

Complaint to whom? There are always complaints but with no league here (and if there were when was a game overturned?) there is no appeal or complaint. Every team every game has gripes about the officiating. They are human. We live with it.

TXBBall55 2 years, 8 months ago

Either KU is way overrated or G'twn is underrated (or a little of both). The gap didn't look at that wide between these two teams. I'm praying it's just inexperience and things will get bettter, soon.

TXBBall55 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm referring to the fact that G-town is picked #10 in the BE while KU is #1(ish) in the Big 12. While BE > Big 12 this year, the gap between these two teams seemed very minor.

I'm not attacking KU, just saying...I really do need to change my ID to some kind of fluffy Jayhawk mixture. Everyone seems to always think I'm a UT fan on here trolling for trouble.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

Preseason predictions mean very little. That was a pretty solid Georgetown team that has an above average defense that will finish somewhere between 5th and 8th in the Big East this year.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

I think it is parity. We've been an elite team the past couple years .. we're now in the mushy upper tier .. appx. 6 - 40 or so. Margins are thin.

Kristopher Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Thank you. Someone with some basketball sense. Well said. This is Kansas basketball. Our "down years" are millions of fans pipe dream. Oh no! We're not a preseason favorite to win it all this year. Somebody call the cops! Get real folks.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

GTown is a program that always puts together a solid team and a few great ones. Good win for KU.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 8 months ago

G'town is a bit like Kansas in that it lost key players and now it is trying to build a team around three very talented players: Clark, Thompson, and Sims. They get the cream of the crop from the DC/Balto area. Also, I can see why we would have liked to have gotten Porter to sign with us. He played well under the boards and that 3 against Young at the end of the first half was painful to watch.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The line on the game was Kansas -5. This was pretty much exactly what was expected of this contest.

We are a wild and inexperienced team. Games like this are how we will play all year long: moments of out-of-control, messy basketball combined with moments of excellence. Expect to watch play like this in probably every game for the entire year, as we slowly get more consistent and more under control.

This was a good step in a very long, developing season. There will be a lot of ups and downs, and they both will often exist in the same game. Don't worry so much about being over or underrated. Just enjoy watching the progression.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

Because of parity in College Basketball, the difference between the top 20-30 teams is relatively small. On a given night, any team in the top 20-30 can beat any other team. Also, don't forget that the Georgetown team had a summer trip to China where they played 5 games against professional teams; one of them ended up in ab big brawl. This type of game experience cannot be acquired during practice; essentially Georgetown is already 8-9 games into the season.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

This has already been touched upon, and I think someone mentioned it on the Live Coverage board during the game last night...

...but these two teams are pretty close, if you look at the kind of ranking that isn't based on the whims of the media and coaches.

Ken Pomeroy had the two teams at #10 (Kansas) and #29 (GTown) going into the game. One should probably expect a fairly close game between two teams that are separated by 19 spots, with the lower-ranked team having the lead for only 3:06 total.

I guess that would technically mean that Georgetown is underrated, since KenPom has Kansas right about where the pollsters have us.

railer20 2 years, 8 months ago

I know we are only 3 games in...but if this is what we can expect from Releford and EJ we might have some issues. Maybe Self gave Johnson the green light to jack up 3's from all over, but it was driving me nuts. And our defense needs to step it up too...Conner needs to fight through screens and our point guards gotta break down their ball handlers better....A win is a win and at this point in the season all we can do is improve! RCJGKU

railer20 2 years, 8 months ago

crap...that last line sounded like Coach Gill :s

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 8 months ago

"WIN" isn't in Coach Gill's vocabulary.

Ed Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe but "ALMOSTWIN" certainly is. just sayin :|

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 8 months ago

While there is the need for further stepping up our game, I think that the overall team effort was a far improvement from the KY game. Conner needs to step up his defense and we have to run more plays to get him open in the perimeter.

hewn 2 years, 8 months ago

Johnson can hit threes, and so can Teahan. They seem to have been forcing shots just a bit in the last two games but I expect them to settle into a groove and be solid shooters for us this year.

Releford has had a number of solid, non-limelight performances this year and last. Expect him to continue starting even though he doesn't put up the big numbers like some others. He's valuable out there. Bill Self knows it, and that's why Releford is getting the starts and minutes he does.

railer20 2 years, 8 months ago

I hear you and I agree with you....Here's to hoping it's still nerves from being in the spotlight this year. The games against our noncon will hopefully make the Big XII seem a little easier.

Marcus Duncan 2 years, 8 months ago

That was a good, grind-it-out game for the 'Hawks. We need those close games against good opponent early on. They will only benefit us down the road when the competition really heats up. Where has Kevin Young been?? I thought he was going to be a key piece this year? He looked really good in our "Exhibition Games", and provided a boost of energy off the bench against Towson, but only 7 minutes last night(this morning for some), makes me wonder if he is in Coach Self's dog house for some reason. . . Any comments or insite would be appreciated. . . Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Re: Kevin Young, I'm not sure he is strong (or maybe just heavy) enough to guard some inside players. Last night in the first half that Lubick guy backed him down and laid it in fairly easily.

hewn 2 years, 8 months ago

Young's a big of a 'tweener, physically. He's quick and long, but maybe a bit too big for a guard and not strong enough for a post. May need to bulk up some before he can really be effective.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I like him also..good attitude. Hopefully he will find/develop the skills needed to play against stronger opponents. Does he have the skills to play as a 2? hewn hits the nail w/tweener.

Wesley is a lot more athletic than I thought.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Echoing what has already been said, Young would ideally play at the 3 (for his own physical stature and for Self's lineup preference), but given our team's lack of depth on the front-line, he's being pushed into more of a 4 role.

Clearly, he doesn't have enough girth to guard college 4s--at least at programs like Georgetown.

He'd be great at the 3; he's quick enough and his length would bother just about any 3 out there. But KU has plenty of options at the 3.

In a related note, I've been impressed with Wesley. He also needs to bulk up, but he has some pogo sticks for legs. The ally-oop he scored on looked like he could have hit his head on the backboard, he was so high in the air. Makes throwing those ally-oop lobs a lot less risky when you can put them up there like you have Calvin Johnson going up for a back-of-the-endzone TD grab...

Brian Stoops 2 years, 8 months ago

This is the worst offensive (KU) team I have seen in over 10 years.

I'm not a fan of Releford

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

Are you a fan of Coach Bob, or is that just what you sit on while you drink your 40oz malt liquor.

Brian Stoops 2 years, 8 months ago

Coach Bob and I share the same last name.

I don't care much for Oklahoma - in the Big 12 I'm strictly a Jayhawk fan!

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

It's just that you don't sound much like a fan with the "worst offense" and "not a fan of Releford" comments, and the Stoops handle.

I dig the avatar, but change your last name and say something positive about a good defensive effort or I won't believe you are "in the Big 12 I'm strictly a Jahawk fan!".

Brian Stoops 2 years, 8 months ago

To some, short concise comments come across as cold and distant.

I typed exactly what I felt after watching the game last night, it's clear you were offended.

That's unfortunate.

It's more unfortunate that part of your response was ... "is that just what you sit on while you drink your 40oz malt liquor."

That was cringe-worthy if you ask me.

You're a bit bossy, eh?

My advice to you - Don't dictate proper board etiquette moments after you just blurted out offensive junk.

Now, lets get back to the reason we are all here - to discuss our beloved Jayhawks!

How do you think our offense stacks up with Jayhawk teams in oh lets say the last 10 years?

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

You said "beloved" Jayhawks. That's all I needed to hear.

Rock Chalk.

As far as the 40oz comment, you made that racial, not me. In CO, and at KU, white hippies sit on stoops and drink 40s. It's not an indictment of color, but of lifestyle, and it was a light-hearted joke, but I'll be sure to tell my black/chinese wife who hails from the D.C. area that there are sensitive alarmists in Wisconsin too. We joke about stoop-sitting quite a bit actually, between her former D.C. life and my former hippy life. I'm sure she'll think it's funny you found that offensive.

Now, is this KU's worst offense in the last 10 years? I don't know. It's just kind of thrown together and hasn't had any time to simmer. I think we have the most powerful offensive player in the last 10 years though, and I think we have some shooters who will settle down and start pouring them in before long. Releford is a good player who is trying to find his role as a starter. No more, no less. It takes a little time.

Good to see the Hawks represented in B1Gville. How do you think we'll fare against Michigan if we both advance? And, are you a Hawk fan because Bill Self coached at Illinois?

Brian Stoops 2 years, 8 months ago

Story about your wife or not - I call a spade a spade - it just is what it is.

You're probably right about Releford - in time I'm hopeful he will find his role.

With our coaching staff, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he settles.

The Michigan game would be tough, but I don't think Michigan gets past the physical beat down Duke will impose on them.

It will never feel right when people on campus talk about the game last night, and the "game" they are referring to is the Badger game....

I lived in Lawrence and went to KU for 5 years.

Truth be told - I'm more a Jayhawk fan than a college basketball fan!

Bring on UCLA tonight!

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

LOL! You had to say spade didn't you?

Okay i'm dropping the issue. It's obviously a misunderstanding.

Yes, indeed. Bring on UCLA!

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

Could you just back off and not be so quick to call a shovel a spade? It makes you sound too eager to be dissed.

SaulGood 2 years, 8 months ago

The best is yet to come. We haven't even tipped the iceberg for offensive output. It's going to take longer for this team to gel, so if that's a black mark in your book, so be it. We're playing some great talent and I'm happy to see us making mistakes and learning. It's a crucial part of the season journey that we haven't had in past seasons. Maybe offensive output looked better in previous seasons when we only played what were essentially JuCo teams. I'm excited for a heck of a ride, and I am a fan of Releford for what that's worth.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Give them a little time to work as a unit..they will improve. Also, they got open shots most of the game with ball movement, EJ, Conner, Tharp and others will start hitting them once they get more settled with their roles.

John Strayer 2 years, 8 months ago

Uh...Coach did say early on in an interview that this team will not score as well as prior years' KU teams...thus will need to strong defensively

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't listen to KGphoto and the "don't sound like much of a fan" stuff. When you toss out quick negative comments with no rationale, you'll get that reaction sometimes.

But explain your Releford stance. Remember, the guy just got his starting spot. He's going to be a bit tentative. Judge him January 1. He is not a star. But he is a stud defender, can slash to the hoop, and has clearly worked on his jumper. We've seen glimpses. The stud defender part can't be overlooked.

My personal belief is the guy is a bit gun-shy. Kevin Young is sitting right there ready to pounce on his job; as is Tharpe if they go pure 3 guard. History tells him that bad shots will find him the pine. He needs to get over that and play.

So why aren't you a fan, or at least prematurely off the band wagon? Do you not see what I see?

And by the way, you're right, this is the worst offensive team in 10 years ... for now.

Brian Stoops 2 years, 8 months ago

In typical HEM fashion, you bring up good points.

Had I read your post earlier, I probably wouldn't have responded to KGphoto!

Releford has been playing in Self's system for a while now, albeit the majority of this time is spent in practice.

I guess I just expect more from him. I know, I know - this is only the third game!

When I watch KU games I get good and bad vibes from certain players.

There's something about Releford's game that seems off.

I haven't had this feeling about any other Jayhawk.

The ball seems to stick in his hands longer than others, he seems a bit sluggish on the offensive end, and his demeanor seems a bit to nonchalant for me.

I realize that he did redshirt for us and that he plays hard on the defensive end.

The season is young - I'm hopeful that my opinion of him will change.

I really thought this would be his year to excel!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree on how he looks .. I'd say he looks awkward sometimes. And a bit unsure. Thinking instead of reacting. You're right, he's not a freshman. This is his 4th season (counting the redshirt year). He shouldn't be awed by anything now. I think by January 1, we'll have a good read.

JayHawkJay82 2 years, 8 months ago

I still get this nagging feeling that Releford's (and EJ's) development really suffered because Coach Self sat them behind Morningstar and Reed respectively. HCBS would give them a chance and yank them at their first lapse in judgement. Now these guys are starters and haven't had the time or exposure to adjust for that role.

phogphan2000 2 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely, am hoping Releford gets into his comfort zone on the court soon as he can fill it up, nice outside shot, good hops and solid mid-range game, passing needs a lot of work but he hasn't had much on court time to get there

Also want to note that G'town had a jump start on the season with that China trip, so early in the year they will probably outperform when compared to other teams. Not that they don't have talent and won't be good, but they may fall off later in the season as other teams catch up

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

4 for 4 and 2 for 2 at the line. 4 rebounds but 3 TOs. A few boneheaded plays, one when he drove into the lane with nowhere to go and another when TT was passing to him in the corner for a 3 but he went to the basket and the pass went into the stands. I'm sure there was others but overall..I thought a solid game. He has yet to get back to the level he was playing last year before the injury. Releford and Weley will give us a solid presence at the 3..

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

KG, you bring up sitting on a porch stoop drinking a 40 to someone who has a black man in his profile and expect everyone to not assume you're making a racial stereotype? You have to be smart enough to realize that's not going to happen.

As for the this being the worst offensive team in a decade and Releford not being impressive so far, I don't disagree with either sentiment at this time. I said last night this is a team that won't be able to win games that get into the high 70's or 80's on a consistent basis this year because they just don't have the consistent third or fourth scoring option this year that they've had in years past. If Johnson can become a reliable third option, then this team will be able to possibly get to 30 wins again this year.

I think the problem with Releford is he just has too much adrenaline going when the game starts and I think coming off the bench would help slow him down enough to where he's not out of control fast and turning the ball over every other time he touches it seemingly. I would insert Tharpe into the starting lineup because I think that having a backcourt of Tharpe, Taylor, and Johnson would flow much smoother with a true point guard running the show and letting Taylor play his natural position instead of playing the point and allow Releford to bring some energy off the bench much like T-Rob did last season when KU looked sluggish out of the gate.

kushaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Just some quick observations between KU/G-Town and then it's time to move on to UCLA

1) T-Rob-Slow Down..........I'm not worried at all about his intensity, his mental mindsight, or his preparation to the game. He needs to allow the game to come to him when he is down on the low block. When KU is in a half court set and T-Rob has his defender on his back........he's rushing his post moves. No doubt that motor is in full affect, but it's okay to shift down from 6th to 5th and 4th gear at times.

2) Defense-I thought KU played great defense against the Princeton offense. KU didn't give up a backcut until late in the game when Treyhan got beat. With that said, KU needs to get over the top of those damn screens and hedge those players beyond the 3 point line to make them put the ball on the floor. KU kept getting stuck a couple of times underneath the screen.............which is the worst. Second half was much better.

I know Taylor was cramping, but he still got lazy towards the end of the game which is unacceptable. When Clark got that second opportunity for a 3 late in the game to get G-town back to 3 points was unacceptable. Taylor got a hand in his face the first time, but drifted down the court because he thought KU was going to get the rebound. Instead, G-Town got the rebound and Clark got a second chance with a quick pass out that kept G-Town in the game while Taylor was scrambling back from Half court. Think game situations Taylor.

3) I'm an official down here in the Carolinas and they always talk about Jamie Lucky because he use to officiate in the same High School league so they think he's the greatest thing since slice bread.

As Bilas said commenting on Jeff Withey's 5th bogus foul, "That's just lame". It was not a good night for that officiating crew.

4) EJ-More Aggressive-We..........KU needs for you to be more aggressive geting in the paint. Don't worry about turnovers, but you need to not hang out at the 3 point line so much. You're too damn athletic to be hanging out beyond the 3 point line.

That's all I got because honestly.............it's time to cook some Bruins! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

i didn't know you were an official, that explains why you are one of the only poster's on here i read. :P

agree with your Bilas comment, that's about as close as he comes to saying it was a BS call.

as for my observations:

1) I really like this team, and I can see why Self does as well. He has complete buy-in from every team member. We have a fast and athletic team but not one that has a large amount of size.

2) TRob is already in beast mode on the boards and will likely average a double double this year.

3) TT is really impressing me so far with his 3 point shot and the confidence he has in it this year.

4) Withey is already consistently performing better than i thought but he has a lot of work left to do learning to the stay in the game. I know the last one was silly but he shouldn't have had the four pathetic fouls before it.

5) Releford just needs some confidence. it looks to me as if he is thinking too much and not reacting. when the right thing becomes his instinct he will be fine.

6) EJ showing some flashes of why he is so awesome, just needs to start hitting that jumper.

7) Wesley is a fighter, we will need him to really step up when we have a big on the bench.

8) I really like Young as well, a lot of potential there.

9) Conner just appears to slow to get his shot of to me. We will likely need Tharpe in over Conner in March.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Kushaw .. your defensive ponit is right on. Just thought we played great defense. Some lapses getting back, and the ball screen stuff .. but certainly a nice effort.

zsn 2 years, 8 months ago

Excellent analysis. You have dissected the problem which I just identified as "finishing" - when we were up about 3-5 points with about 6 min to play my wife walked in the room ans asked for the score. My response was that "we're only up 4, but the way we're running the plays we should be up 15". She asked if they're playing badly and how this year's team looks (she's a fan, but not nearly as rabid as I am). My reply: "They're just young and inexperienced. I know they are going to be good in Feb and March, but until then there will be much agita, gnashing of teeth and high blood pressure"

We need to find a consistent third scorer.

RockChalkGuy 2 years, 8 months ago

kushaw, please help me understand something. When a player goes up with a jam and a defender hits them on the arm, is this a foul? It seems like this happens to T-Rob and Withey several times a game and we never draw the foul call. I wouldn't get too worked up over this, but KU got called for several hand check and reach calls in last night's game that are much less of a foul from my viewpoint.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

That dichotomy drives me absolutely bonkers.

Opposing team is allowed to "block" shots by smacking the bigger, stronger offensive players (Withey and Robinson, to be exact) on the forearm, then we get called for little ticky-tack hand checks on the other end.

I know officials are human. They aren't going to have the same level of cold consistency that a robot would have. But I don't feel like it's asking too much to ask the officials to be consistent from minute to minute in any given game. If you are going to allow tons of contact around the basket, don't be turning around and calling touch fouls out on the perimeter. If you are going to call touch fouls on the perimeter, then blow the whistle when someone gets mugged on the way to the basket.

It's extra frustrating when Withey gets no whistle for two dunk attemps on which he was slammed in the arm, but then gets removed from the game on one of the most phantom fouls I've seen in awhile. Bilas was being too kind when he labeled the foul "pretty lame".

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 8 months ago

Good lord 6 AM came early after watching the game last night/this morning... but totally worth it. Its hard to correct some of the bad things we did against Kentucky when the next team we play has a complete different game plan. But good night make them all shoot free throws until they pass out, oh and also stop them dang three pointers.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Some post game thoughts: 1. Releford played excellent defense. Don't know if it stood out to anyone else. His offensive play is tentative, though. He needs to assert himself a bit there. 2. Withey wasn't bad .. pretty much as we expect. Got ripped on that last foul call. When I see something like that, seriously, the ref should be suspended. It is absolute incompetence. But as anyone who has been around sports knows, it's par for the course. 3. We saw the good TT. Only thing, again, is just two assists. But this game he was more crisp, in control. If EJ can drop 5 assists, I'll take it. We do need some more creativity out top. Find shots for others. But he had an overall good game. How obvious was this (compared to UK) -- he was in control. No crazy out of control stuff. He's going to turn the ball over a few times being aggressive. That's fine. Add a few more assists, and this was a terrific performance for TT. He won't go 3 of 3 from 3 ball territory all the time, but a net 40% is the goal. He looked like he could do that. 4. Teahan wasn't as bad defensively as the first game, but for a few technical missteps noted on the broadcast. Can't expect him to go 3 of 4 from 3 all the time. 5. We just seem to miss easy scoring opportunities. The first 8 minutes was similar to the UK game. We should have had 4 or 5 more scores. 6. Good team defense. This has to be this team's calling card. You could tell they were very well prepped. 7. But there were a couple blow-bys with no help (wonder if guys are spooked by the arc below the basket re: charges); and we got beat back a few times too. 8. EJ was the offender on one of the times we got beat back (I believe) but he also had a very good defensive game. It is pretty obvious that when he finds some rhythm offensively, we'll see some good stuff. Not shy with the jumper .. but less inclined to take to the hoop. Hope he gets more bold.

Certainly a better second half that the UK game; but I don't really think Georgetown is in the same league as UK (obviously). Otto Porter would have looked pretty nice in crimson and blue.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 8 months ago

You know, there is a problem with assists as stats, the other player has to make the basket.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Good point .. in the UK game, when I watched it a second time, I didn't see missed finishes near the rim on TT passes. I did see multiple dish opportunities he missed. But I can't say that about this game (and I didn't want to stay up another hour to speed through the DVR to rewatch). It didn't stand out that he missed dish opportunities like it did in the UK game.

But when I do rewatch, I'll look for the missed finishes. If he is setting guys up and they're not finishing, that is a completely different deal. Again, good point.

gongs4ku 2 years, 8 months ago

This is going to be an entertaining, and I'm sure at times frustrating year. We're offensively challenged so I doubt we'll have the firepower to put many teams away, but we're scrappy, too.

michaeluk 2 years, 8 months ago

Your team is alot better than most people realize. Your just young. By the tournament I would NOT want KU in my bracket. Just sayin

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

Geeze, I wanted to get up at 6:15 am and I must have slept until 6:45 am. Good thing I looked at my alarm at 6:45 am. It could have been a disaster trying to explain to my boss why I was late. It was totally worth it---staying up late and watching the Jayhawks, that is!

How about those KU Fans at that HS gym?! They were awesome!

Much improved since playing Kentucky. Thing is, the Jayhawks could have beaten Georgetown by a larger margin had they hit some free throws.

That last foul on Withey. Really? He definitely didn't get his money's worth on that foul. If anything, the player from GT pushed Withey. Withey just put his hands up after the push off. I will say what Jay Bilas said last night---"that was lame!"

Good luck with UCLA tonight, Jayhawks. Always love it when we beat the Bruins. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Man, I need a nap when I get home from work today!

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Otto Porter would have gone to sleep with a win under his belt if he had chosen the right team.

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

Small correction. EJ we ARE everywhere you go. Sure KU fans travel, but we are also already there. If I wear my KU hat, no matter where I am, I get a "Rock Chalk" from somebody. I live in Colorado and I can't get 5 feet from my doorstep without a Rock Chalk.

When I was in Austin last year. Rock Chalk. Chicago, Rock Chalk. Spokane, yes, Spokane, less than 6 months ago, Rock Chalk. Santa Fe, Rock Chalk. San Diego, Rock Chalk. Poughkeepsie, Rock Chalk. That was on the Vassar campus, and I got many "Rock Chalks" there. NYC on the same trip, Rock Chalk.

I lived in Boulder for 6 years and attended every KU game at Coors Events Center. Many KU fans traveled there, but most, MOST, of those KU fans that filled the arena lived around Boulder.

We are a national brand. I know ahperse and LJW are crazy embarrassed by our football team, but nobody else cares. KU is amazing. If a ticket scandal involving some pencil pushing office geeks is the worst thing we have to worry about, I can sit through a couple of bad seasons in football.

We do things right at KU. Win or lose we are a respected brand.

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

You are dead on right. Everywhere I go in CA, someone gives me a RC when they see my KU gear, or I see someone else wearing KU stuff. Watch what happens when we oc-KU-py the Galen Center next month.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 8 months ago

I had a guy pull up beside me for a Rock Chalk in Toledo, OH, because he had seen the Jayhawk tag on my car. I got one at the Hartwick Pines State Park outside Greyling, MI, and one more at the Field Museum in Chicago. And those are just the ones I remember offhand.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

OK, OK, KG. Sorry. I get it. I haven't yelled "Rock Chalk!" from Hawaii yet today. But you are so right. WE (See if the word passes with both letters capped), and I reiterate the word "WE", the KU Jayhawks, are everywhere!

It's always a good morning when you can wake up after a Jayhawk win, and can yell:

"ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK, KU!!!!" (Note - all in caps)

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Well. Some of my caps were kept, anyway. :-o

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Loved the game last night, but every time T-Rob gets undercut or he comes down funny, I have to hold my breath and hope this isn't another injury. So far so good, but we're only three games into the season and on the damp court, he could have that injury that really hurts and knocks him out for awhile. Stay safe, my hawks.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

@ coloradojayhawk---

No kidding---when T-Rob go undercut---I was holding my breath, too! All the KU fans in the arena were holding their breath, as well

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn played really well last night. He needs to have more assists, but overall he did what he needed to for KU to get the win.

I don't think Releford is going to be a force on offense this year. Every time I watch him play (including last season), I always wonder why he doesn't go out there and ignite the place. For some reason, he just doesn't do that. He was excellent on defense last night though.

EJ will get better as the season goes on. Once he starts seeing some shots fall, he will be a real offensive threat. He's just having trouble connecting right now.

Wesley is much more athletic than I originally thought. He and Kevin Young will be good role players for KU this season. And Withey is surpassing all of my expectations already.

I don't think Teahen is going to cut it as the 6th man. He is an excellent jump shooter, but that is it. He is too slow on defense and he's not good with the ball in his hands on offense. I think, by the end of the season, Tharpe will be the first guard off the bench. Teahen is just too limited in what he can do.

All in all I was thoroughly impressed with KU last night. We played cohesive offense for the first time this season and our defense looked really solid (as it generally does thanks to Bill Self). Looking forward to the game tonight.

Matt1958 2 years, 8 months ago

Tell me about Anrio Adams. Sounds like a major talent. Am I being an undue alarmist if I worry about him qualifying?

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

No, but here is the thing: if he does not qualify next season, he will the following, so we all need to stop worrying about the qualification issue. Getting the guys here and having them sit for a year is basically just a red shirt process that lets Self massively stock the larder for the future.

All good.

beebe1 2 years, 8 months ago

My worry is our guys heading for the rim and winding up in a crowd of defenders! Taylor in the KY game didn't stop and pass off soon enough to one of our open men. Usually there were three around him -- he got in so far he couldn't elevate and pass or shoot. Then look at the other end after they stole the ball. Four Ky uniforms and one KU. He was better last night -- but someone needs to make sure they aren't giving the game away. Stealing the ball under the basket is a 4 pt turnaround. And Ky only beat us by 10 pts.

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

+1 about playing the game on Mars. Maybe one day SETI will pick up the Chant eminating from somewhere else in the universe.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The Martians have already sent numerous messages asking the meaning of "Rock Chalk", because they hear it so frequently this time of year through their own SETI system. Either our governrnent is hiding the truth, or it hasn't been able to translate the Martian language yet. It will take just one KU alumnus in the right gov. office to correct this injustice to our chant. Please patch in to 317 mghz on your iphone, and ask for "Quzeans".

As for #4 on drgnslayr's list: Is that Amarillo, Mizzery, or perhaps it's in Kenstinky?

Time to rock the chalk in Maui today, Jayhawks.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

Correction, AFH-West already exists. It was built in 1988 in Manhattan Kansas. I believe a few die-hard locals call it Bramlage Coliseum.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the purple poop scoopers at KSU were never very good at spelling. They meant to call it "Braindead Coliseum".

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

That would be "The house that Roy built."

hawkster007 2 years, 8 months ago

I think KU is going to have a lot of games this year that look like this G-town game, lower scoring, ugly, and have to win it with great D. I'll play devil's advocate here:

1) Withey will have to score more than 2 points & play more than 13 minutes for KU to be successful. With T-Rob getting double teamed, Withey will have to average 8-10 points and should get easy buckets when T-Rob learns to pass better out of the double team. Withey seems to score buckets early and then runs out of gas the 2nd half.

2) KU cannot afford for EJ and TR to be spot up 3-point shooters on this team, these guys need to drive it to the bucket, finish, or get foul shots - - and pick up hustle buckets. Loading your team up with spot up 3-point shooters like Morningstar, Reed, Xavier (yes, Henry, at 6'7" that is about all he did is stand out there and shoot 3 pointers) might win you a Big 12 championship, but that won't win you the NCAA tourney anymore. As evidenced by KU losses, when those 3 point shooters go cold in the tourney there is nothing else they can do except hopefully play some really good D, but last time I checked you still need to outscore the other team.

3) I still think T-Rob will need to average about 18 points and 12 rebounds. Or have some good assists that get Withey and others some cheap points out of double teams. I love T-Rob and his motor, but one thing he does not do well is get offensive rebounds. He had one OR last night, and 11 DRs. That will have to change, this teams needs lots of cheap and hustle buckets to be successful this year.

4) TT will also need to play well every game and probably average 14-16 points at the minimum with 5 assists plus some steals, and few TOs.

5)Self will have to diversify the offense this year and get away from running the high-low game all the time. KU does not have the horses this year to run the high-low all the time because this team is not deep at the 4 and 5 spots. I think maybe last night I saw Self starting to run some other stuff more consistently, such as the back screen lobs and cuts even more so than in prior years.

6) This may also be the year that Self must play more zone defense (or a gimmick zone) for when KU is in foul trouble, when the team is tired, and to show teams something else. KU should be practicing the zone in these early games, they will definitely need it in Big 12 play. KU will need to manufacture some wins this year and will need to change it up.

ParisHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Minor, minor point, but just to provide balance: Xavier did lead the team in steals his freshman year, and his steals were closer to the basket than Mario's so more important defensively.

I can't stop people here dissing Xavier and Selby, but please no revisionist history...

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Three games in three days on Maui. I predict KU will play some zone D over the next two days, or the Jayhawks are going to be exhausted and trying to compete on fumes. Not enough rest time between games.

nohohawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I will give TT his props for playing 39 minutes of this game. He ruined it for me when we need a defensive stop at the end. A three pointer went up and TT headed down the court to the offensive end right after the shot was put up, they ended up getting the rebound and his man got a wide open 3 to cut it to 3 if I remember correctly. If defense has to be our strong point this season and a bucket is not what need at that point, why are you taking off down the court with 1 minute left when we don't even have the ball. That is the kind of stupid bonehead plays you get with TT that makes him very frustrating to watch. He does make some great plays, but if you have enough energy to take off down the court then you have enough energy to play some D!!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game

Is it just me or does Travis Releford's forehead look like Ken Griffey Jr.'s enlarged cranium after drinking Mr. Burns' elixir as a ringer on the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball team?

This has been LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Any thoughts on Tharpe? I know he came in for at least 5 mins when TT was cramping...I think they expanded the lead by 3 when he was in, and for some reason I recall him hitting a big shot; however, it was late.

142466 2 years, 8 months ago

Based on what I've seen so far, this is Self's weakest team at KU. By season's end we'll have 9 or 10 losses. Anything better than that is gravy. My blood pressure will be more stable if I have realistic expectations. I'll root hard for KU, though, every game.

The game against UCLA could indicate whether my expectations are reasonable. I'd say that UCLA's team is comparable to a middle of the pack B12 team. But I'm sticking to my forecast, regardless of what we do in Hawaii.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

1] Playing these early games against tough opponents [UK, G'Town, UCLA, Duke hopefully, OSU, USC] will give the coaches a great baseline to improve this team.

2] If we don't improve the trifecta we're going to see lots of 2-3 zones that clog up the middle, neutralize TRob and force us to bomb from the perimeter.

3] I've been in that gym..high humidity, no A/C, packed with body heat. Our kids should have been drinking fluids from the opening tip off. Hell, we were cramping in the stands just watching the games!

4] I do agree with the poster above...this may be the least athletically talented team HCBS has put out on the floor. That doesn't mean we can't win...we just have to win smart.

5] Taped the game, then woke up at 2:00 am, saw the final score and watched it anyway. Should have watched it live...I'm pooped!!

6] Withey will help us win games against inferior teams and hopefully cause enough disruption to give us a chance against superior teams.

7] I love Conner for his hard work and attitude but, I'm sorry, Naadir needs to be getting some minutes.

8] I actually thought Releford started to show some fire amnd confidence last night.....remember, it's still early.

9] Jay Bilas was a like a rose between two thorns on the broadcast. It would be quite a battle if Rafferty paired up against Vitale in a senility contest!!

10] Kansas 82 UCLA 68

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe the announcers indicated that the building has had AC for a while now, and it is no longer an issue with cramping.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Tell that to Tyshawn and TRob. :) yes, I did see they got A/C about 3 years ago...wimps!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

My own personal vote would replace Rafferty with Billy Packer. He was awful!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

The Mount Rushmore of bad announcers: Vitale, Packer, Rafferty and Falkenstien

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, but no one can out vocalize Vickie D. He loves to hear himself spout on in superflous hyperbole, which numerous times has nothing to do with the actions on the court, or even the two teams that are playing. During the Kenstinky game, I actually turned down the sound and read the play by play on my computer, just so I could understand who did what (The foul was on who? Who scored that last basket? Etc.). What a waste of commentary. And, he never fails to make reference to something about the ACC, or N. Carolina and Duke. Give me a break. IMHO, Vitale is full of swamp gas distilled in the hills of ACC country. Let ESPN assign him strictly to ACC games, and I'll be quite happy.

Meanwhile, Jay Bilas is the extreme opposite of Vitale, Despite his Duke affiliation, Bilas always seems the professional, telling it like it is and announcing a game as he is paid to do. The ideal sportscaster is one who is unbiased and announces so that a viewer/listener can appreciate the game in progress, and Jay Bilas fits that definition perfectly.

142466 2 years, 8 months ago

I like Rafferty. I find his voice soothing and I detect a genuine love for college BB. I don't sense any bias. A good color commentator.

Vitale is annoying, needs to fade into the sunset.

I still remember the game in which I first heard Vitale. It was the Friday following Thanksgiving Day, around 1980, in the early days of ESPN. It was the Great Alaska Shootout. Back in those days, ESPN broadcast only from 5 PM until around midnight. I joined the game in progress, hearing his voice and commentary for the first time. I'd never even heard of Dick Vitale. By the time 15 minutes had passed I was saying, "Who is this loudmouth? He's monopolizing the broadcast, knows everything, especially about subjects that have no connection to the game at hand. Is this guy the Governor of Alaska, NCAA Commissioneer, eminent BB historian, advisor to John Wooden, Dean Smith, and Red Auerbech, Las Vegas sports guru, or a combination of all these? I'd never heard or saw any color commentator so blatently making himself the center of attention, overshadowing even the contest on the floor. I admit that for the next 4 or 5 years I enjoyed listening to him. It was like going to the circus, novel and almost freakish. He wore out his welcome long ago, though. Dick, pack up your belongings, stop annoying everybody.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I think something to watch for tonight will be how well our D plays. Last night was great, but Self teams have often struggled defensively with a short turnaround. Let's see if they over-prepared & practiced specifically for Georgetown's offense and fail to adapt to the change in style.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

We need EJ and Relelford to step it up more. Ej needs to be in attack more mode. He reminds me of selby and henry with being happy with the jump shot. On the other end, I feel Releford should take more shots. He has a beautiful shooting motion. I like how he wants to drive, I wish Selby and Henry did the same. But he has to calm down, and play relaxed. Reminds me alot of Brandon Rush.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"On Trifectation"

Tonight, or next game, we are do to get back to 40% trifectation.

People worrying about trey shooting, stop gripping.

Elijah and Conner will find the range. Elijah is slumping early. Conner set the atmosphere on fire with 81% trey shooting the first three games, so he's do for maybe one more 0-fer.

Conner is a hit 12 in a row, miss 14 in a row type of trey shooter. But he's going to wind up at 45%.

And Travis, though told to stoo jacking them, is going to make a couple tonight.

Tyshawn, I have been saying you were going to turn the corner a la Mario Chalmers your last season and become a 40% plus trifectationist. Don't make me look bad. Drill a couple through tonight.

crshook 2 years, 8 months ago

But elijah is the type of player that is... Play alot=shoot alot=great game

crshook 2 years, 8 months ago

KU should and will kill ucla if we shut down reeves... but look who ucla lost too. loyola soethin and middle tennesee state.... That should tell you how good they are but we still got to show up and have no stupid cramps

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Come on people. Bill Raftery is a quality color analyst.

The idea of replacing him with Billy Packer is making my ears bleed.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

All KU has to do is come out fouling, because that is what Fouland will have UFoulLA doing.

Foul hard, early and often.

The refs will swallow their whistles if both teams are fouling.

Reeves is going to be a load for someone to guard.