Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tyshawn Taylor recovers from second-half cramps in KU victory over Georgetown

KU senior guard receives IV in locker room, able to return to contest

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor winces in pain as he lies on the ground with cramps during the second half on Monday, Nov. 21, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self and players

KU coach Bill Self, Tyshawn Taylor, Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 67-63 victory over Georgetown on Nov. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

— Tyshawn Taylor, who went up to contest a Georgetown shot, returned to earth with the sharpest pain in both his legs.

Kansas University’s 6-foot-3 senior point guard had been hit by the Hawaiian cramps — same malady that affected KU’s Aaron Miles, Nick Collison and Drew Gooden in a first-round Maui Invitational loss to Ball State back in 2001.

“It was one of the weirdest feelings ever,” said Taylor, who went down with 14:21 left in Monday’s 67-63 victory over the Hoyas. At the time, the score was tied, 46-46.

“Both my legs, my calves and my quad cramped at the same time, so I couldn’t bend them all for a couple seconds. The trainer came out and rubbed them out.”

Taylor was helped to the locker room where he received IV fluids. He returned with his right arm taped, KU building a three-point lead in his absence, 51-48, at 9:42.

“I knew I’d come back. I didn’t know I’d have to get IVs,” Taylor said. “Coming back was the easy part. Getting the IV was the hard part. That needle hurt.”

Taylor — he was sensational with 16 points off 5-of-9 shooting, including 3-of-3 from three — said overall, “it was a pretty weird feeling. It happened to me a couple years ago at practice, but never in a game. I couldn’t walk. I felt if I walked, my legs locked up.”

Taylor laughed when a media member asked if he felt like a hero, returning to help the Jayhawks land a spot in today’s 8:30 p.m., semifinal versus UCLA.

“I don’t think it was that serious,” Taylor said. “If I had a broken nose or broken bone and returned ... this was just cramps.”

KU junior Thomas Robinson, who had 20 points and 12 rebounds, also cramped up very late — with 2:02 left and KU up, 63-60. He was able to stay in the game, however.

“He’s OK. He’s getting some treatment now,” KU coach Bill Self said after the game.

Taylor indicated he’d “be fine,” for today’s semifinal, “after drinking some fluids and getting some rest.”

As far as the semifinal, KU will be playing a (1-2) UCLA team that slugged Chaminade, 92-60, in Monday’s opening round. UCLA holds a 10-6 advantage in the all-time series versus KU, but the Jayhawks have won two straight.

“I’m excited about this game. I think it’s going to be a fun game,” Taylor said. “It’s good competition out there. Last year was really close (77-76 KU win in Lawrence). They almost beat us. We’ll do what we did today, come out and compete.”

KU coach Self said: “I’m excited. Kansas/UCLA has a pretty nice ring to it. Ben’s teams are always good and sound, and they'll continue to get better. I think for the first time this year they'll have all of their pieces for the whole game. So we'll look forward to it, but we know it will be tough, especially on the short turnaround.”

• Highlights: Travis Releford on Monday had a putback with 2:35 left to give KU a 63-58 lead. He hit two free throws at :15.7 to give KU a 67-63 lead. Elijah Johnson had a big steal and bucket at 5:51 to give KU a 59-53 lead; also a layup at 1:05 to expand a 63-60 lead to five points.

“Elijah may have made the biggest basket of the game. When he went flat and took his man and got a layup there, late clock. That was an excellent play,” KU’s Self said. “Travis, I thought made about three great plays for us to really ice the win. He dove on the floor and got the jump ball and made two free throws. He did a lot of good things late. He (Releford) needed that. We needed that as a team and he needed that individually too. I thought overall it was a pretty good team effort.”

Releford noted: “It helped out a lot (his confidence). I knocked down mid-range jumpers. Most of the game I got the opponent's best scorers, so I needed to get after it on the defensive end and the offense will come.”

• Elijah Johnson on KU’s loud contingent of fans: “It doesn't surprise me. Our fans are great. They travel everywhere we go. They're willing to support us in whatever situation it is, so it doesn't surprise me too much. But it felt good to hear people chanting out and to have some support behind the bench and to be able to see a lot of blue in the crowd like that. It always feels good. It makes you more comfortable on the floor.”

Comments

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

All KU has to do is come out fouling, because that is what Fouland will have UFoulLA doing.

Foul hard, early and often.

The refs will swallow their whistles if both teams are fouling.

Reeves is going to be a load for someone to guard.

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

Come on people. Bill Raftery is a quality color analyst.

The idea of replacing him with Billy Packer is making my ears bleed.

crshook 2 years, 4 months ago

KU should and will kill ucla if we shut down reeves... but look who ucla lost too. loyola soethin and middle tennesee state.... That should tell you how good they are but we still got to show up and have no stupid cramps

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

"On Trifectation"

Tonight, or next game, we are do to get back to 40% trifectation.

People worrying about trey shooting, stop gripping.

Elijah and Conner will find the range. Elijah is slumping early. Conner set the atmosphere on fire with 81% trey shooting the first three games, so he's do for maybe one more 0-fer.

Conner is a hit 12 in a row, miss 14 in a row type of trey shooter. But he's going to wind up at 45%.

And Travis, though told to stoo jacking them, is going to make a couple tonight.

Tyshawn, I have been saying you were going to turn the corner a la Mario Chalmers your last season and become a 40% plus trifectationist. Don't make me look bad. Drill a couple through tonight.

hihawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Tonight, Ku better have someone show up from the bench or Releford start carrying his own load. He plays about like Morningstar did last year, one bucket and thats it. Withey, Tharpe, Wesley and Young better start producing or this is going to be a year that's not going to be good. Teahan needs to get into the game and be more active, shots are not falling for him now but, hope that they will start falling for him. The UCLA-KU game could go either way tonight.

Withey could be more aggressive with going to the basket. He is getting stripped or blocked on his dunks.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

We need EJ and Relelford to step it up more. Ej needs to be in attack more mode. He reminds me of selby and henry with being happy with the jump shot. On the other end, I feel Releford should take more shots. He has a beautiful shooting motion. I like how he wants to drive, I wish Selby and Henry did the same. But he has to calm down, and play relaxed. Reminds me alot of Brandon Rush.

Kye Clark 2 years, 4 months ago

I think something to watch for tonight will be how well our D plays. Last night was great, but Self teams have often struggled defensively with a short turnaround. Let's see if they over-prepared & practiced specifically for Georgetown's offense and fail to adapt to the change in style.

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, but no one can out vocalize Vickie D. He loves to hear himself spout on in superflous hyperbole, which numerous times has nothing to do with the actions on the court, or even the two teams that are playing. During the Kenstinky game, I actually turned down the sound and read the play by play on my computer, just so I could understand who did what (The foul was on who? Who scored that last basket? Etc.). What a waste of commentary. And, he never fails to make reference to something about the ACC, or N. Carolina and Duke. Give me a break. IMHO, Vitale is full of swamp gas distilled in the hills of ACC country. Let ESPN assign him strictly to ACC games, and I'll be quite happy.

Meanwhile, Jay Bilas is the extreme opposite of Vitale, Despite his Duke affiliation, Bilas always seems the professional, telling it like it is and announcing a game as he is paid to do. The ideal sportscaster is one who is unbiased and announces so that a viewer/listener can appreciate the game in progress, and Jay Bilas fits that definition perfectly.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

1] Playing these early games against tough opponents [UK, G'Town, UCLA, Duke hopefully, OSU, USC] will give the coaches a great baseline to improve this team.

2] If we don't improve the trifecta we're going to see lots of 2-3 zones that clog up the middle, neutralize TRob and force us to bomb from the perimeter.

3] I've been in that gym..high humidity, no A/C, packed with body heat. Our kids should have been drinking fluids from the opening tip off. Hell, we were cramping in the stands just watching the games!

4] I do agree with the poster above...this may be the least athletically talented team HCBS has put out on the floor. That doesn't mean we can't win...we just have to win smart.

5] Taped the game, then woke up at 2:00 am, saw the final score and watched it anyway. Should have watched it live...I'm pooped!!

6] Withey will help us win games against inferior teams and hopefully cause enough disruption to give us a chance against superior teams.

7] I love Conner for his hard work and attitude but, I'm sorry, Naadir needs to be getting some minutes.

8] I actually thought Releford started to show some fire amnd confidence last night.....remember, it's still early.

9] Jay Bilas was a like a rose between two thorns on the broadcast. It would be quite a battle if Rafferty paired up against Vitale in a senility contest!!

10] Kansas 82 UCLA 68

142466 2 years, 4 months ago

Based on what I've seen so far, this is Self's weakest team at KU. By season's end we'll have 9 or 10 losses. Anything better than that is gravy. My blood pressure will be more stable if I have realistic expectations. I'll root hard for KU, though, every game.

The game against UCLA could indicate whether my expectations are reasonable. I'd say that UCLA's team is comparable to a middle of the pack B12 team. But I'm sticking to my forecast, regardless of what we do in Hawaii.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

Any thoughts on Tharpe? I know he came in for at least 5 mins when TT was cramping...I think they expanded the lead by 3 when he was in, and for some reason I recall him hitting a big shot; however, it was late.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game

Is it just me or does Travis Releford's forehead look like Ken Griffey Jr.'s enlarged cranium after drinking Mr. Burns' elixir as a ringer on the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball team?

This has been LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game.

nohohawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I will give TT his props for playing 39 minutes of this game. He ruined it for me when we need a defensive stop at the end. A three pointer went up and TT headed down the court to the offensive end right after the shot was put up, they ended up getting the rebound and his man got a wide open 3 to cut it to 3 if I remember correctly. If defense has to be our strong point this season and a bucket is not what need at that point, why are you taking off down the court with 1 minute left when we don't even have the ball. That is the kind of stupid bonehead plays you get with TT that makes him very frustrating to watch. He does make some great plays, but if you have enough energy to take off down the court then you have enough energy to play some D!!

hawkster007 2 years, 4 months ago

I think KU is going to have a lot of games this year that look like this G-town game, lower scoring, ugly, and have to win it with great D. I'll play devil's advocate here:

1) Withey will have to score more than 2 points & play more than 13 minutes for KU to be successful. With T-Rob getting double teamed, Withey will have to average 8-10 points and should get easy buckets when T-Rob learns to pass better out of the double team. Withey seems to score buckets early and then runs out of gas the 2nd half.

2) KU cannot afford for EJ and TR to be spot up 3-point shooters on this team, these guys need to drive it to the bucket, finish, or get foul shots - - and pick up hustle buckets. Loading your team up with spot up 3-point shooters like Morningstar, Reed, Xavier (yes, Henry, at 6'7" that is about all he did is stand out there and shoot 3 pointers) might win you a Big 12 championship, but that won't win you the NCAA tourney anymore. As evidenced by KU losses, when those 3 point shooters go cold in the tourney there is nothing else they can do except hopefully play some really good D, but last time I checked you still need to outscore the other team.

3) I still think T-Rob will need to average about 18 points and 12 rebounds. Or have some good assists that get Withey and others some cheap points out of double teams. I love T-Rob and his motor, but one thing he does not do well is get offensive rebounds. He had one OR last night, and 11 DRs. That will have to change, this teams needs lots of cheap and hustle buckets to be successful this year.

4) TT will also need to play well every game and probably average 14-16 points at the minimum with 5 assists plus some steals, and few TOs.

5)Self will have to diversify the offense this year and get away from running the high-low game all the time. KU does not have the horses this year to run the high-low all the time because this team is not deep at the 4 and 5 spots. I think maybe last night I saw Self starting to run some other stuff more consistently, such as the back screen lobs and cuts even more so than in prior years.

6) This may also be the year that Self must play more zone defense (or a gimmick zone) for when KU is in foul trouble, when the team is tired, and to show teams something else. KU should be practicing the zone in these early games, they will definitely need it in Big 12 play. KU will need to manufacture some wins this year and will need to change it up.

William Blake 2 years, 4 months ago

Interpretations from the Wavedome:

1. The star of the game, by far, was the KU fans who dominated this game! I guess now that the Golden Shower Buffaloes have become the whipping boy for the west, we'll call Maui Center "AFH-West!" Does life exist beyond our planet? Play a KU game on Mars and find out!

2. TT stepped up big. He is beginning to assert his senior leadership. On the down side, his cramps could easily return tonight.

3. Withey got ripped! That 5th foul was a joke, but I'm glad he was hit with it. This is the kind of event that helps players learn. Hopefully he'll clean up more of his game and foul less. He has to learn that big guys don't get the "benefit of the doubt" calls.

4. The officiating smelled like a used diaper left in a locked car in Amarillo... in August!

5. EJ and Travis picked up some confidence. They now must realize this as a starting point for greater things!

6. The entire team picked up some confidence. This was the first game against a quality opponent where we maintained our composure most of the game and executed a plan. I hope we get a "bump" tonight.

7. KY looked a little sped up. I'm thinking he has a little anxiety about being forgotten in the UK game.

8. Justin is a player. He needs lots of development, but the potential is there.

9. Conner needs to become the high basketball IQ player on the team. He's not going to succeed on his athleticism and what this team really needs is more high IQ play than more athleticism. He's the guy that needs to learn how to take a charge, set strong picks (which he did sometimes last night), find assists others can't find, and just be that guy that does the grunt work without getting the spotlight. If he becomes all that, he will become a key player in this team's success. Oh.. and nail that 3!

10. This was a great experience game that required us to grind it out, fight this game on every possession, and it came down to the wire! The extra bonus was putting a "W" beside this one.

beebe1 2 years, 4 months ago

My worry is our guys heading for the rim and winding up in a crowd of defenders! Taylor in the KY game didn't stop and pass off soon enough to one of our open men. Usually there were three around him -- he got in so far he couldn't elevate and pass or shoot. Then look at the other end after they stole the ball. Four Ky uniforms and one KU. He was better last night -- but someone needs to make sure they aren't giving the game away. Stealing the ball under the basket is a 4 pt turnaround. And Ky only beat us by 10 pts.

Matt1958 2 years, 4 months ago

Tell me about Anrio Adams. Sounds like a major talent. Am I being an undue alarmist if I worry about him qualifying?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn played really well last night. He needs to have more assists, but overall he did what he needed to for KU to get the win.

I don't think Releford is going to be a force on offense this year. Every time I watch him play (including last season), I always wonder why he doesn't go out there and ignite the place. For some reason, he just doesn't do that. He was excellent on defense last night though.

EJ will get better as the season goes on. Once he starts seeing some shots fall, he will be a real offensive threat. He's just having trouble connecting right now.

Wesley is much more athletic than I originally thought. He and Kevin Young will be good role players for KU this season. And Withey is surpassing all of my expectations already.

I don't think Teahen is going to cut it as the 6th man. He is an excellent jump shooter, but that is it. He is too slow on defense and he's not good with the ball in his hands on offense. I think, by the end of the season, Tharpe will be the first guard off the bench. Teahen is just too limited in what he can do.

All in all I was thoroughly impressed with KU last night. We played cohesive offense for the first time this season and our defense looked really solid (as it generally does thanks to Bill Self). Looking forward to the game tonight.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 4 months ago

Fun game to watch. We'll have situations like this against scrappy teams in the Big 12 and in the NCAAs.

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Loved the game last night, but every time T-Rob gets undercut or he comes down funny, I have to hold my breath and hope this isn't another injury. So far so good, but we're only three games into the season and on the damp court, he could have that injury that really hurts and knocks him out for awhile. Stay safe, my hawks.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Small correction. EJ we ARE everywhere you go. Sure KU fans travel, but we are also already there. If I wear my KU hat, no matter where I am, I get a "Rock Chalk" from somebody. I live in Colorado and I can't get 5 feet from my doorstep without a Rock Chalk.

When I was in Austin last year. Rock Chalk. Chicago, Rock Chalk. Spokane, yes, Spokane, less than 6 months ago, Rock Chalk. Santa Fe, Rock Chalk. San Diego, Rock Chalk. Poughkeepsie, Rock Chalk. That was on the Vassar campus, and I got many "Rock Chalks" there. NYC on the same trip, Rock Chalk.

I lived in Boulder for 6 years and attended every KU game at Coors Events Center. Many KU fans traveled there, but most, MOST, of those KU fans that filled the arena lived around Boulder.

We are a national brand. I know ahperse and LJW are crazy embarrassed by our football team, but nobody else cares. KU is amazing. If a ticket scandal involving some pencil pushing office geeks is the worst thing we have to worry about, I can sit through a couple of bad seasons in football.

We do things right at KU. Win or lose we are a respected brand.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Otto Porter would have gone to sleep with a win under his belt if he had chosen the right team.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 4 months ago

Geeze, I wanted to get up at 6:15 am and I must have slept until 6:45 am. Good thing I looked at my alarm at 6:45 am. It could have been a disaster trying to explain to my boss why I was late. It was totally worth it---staying up late and watching the Jayhawks, that is!

How about those KU Fans at that HS gym?! They were awesome!

Much improved since playing Kentucky. Thing is, the Jayhawks could have beaten Georgetown by a larger margin had they hit some free throws.

That last foul on Withey. Really? He definitely didn't get his money's worth on that foul. If anything, the player from GT pushed Withey. Withey just put his hands up after the push off. I will say what Jay Bilas said last night---"that was lame!"

Good luck with UCLA tonight, Jayhawks. Always love it when we beat the Bruins. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Man, I need a nap when I get home from work today!

gongs4ku 2 years, 4 months ago

This is going to be an entertaining, and I'm sure at times frustrating year. We're offensively challenged so I doubt we'll have the firepower to put many teams away, but we're scrappy, too.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Some post game thoughts: 1. Releford played excellent defense. Don't know if it stood out to anyone else. His offensive play is tentative, though. He needs to assert himself a bit there. 2. Withey wasn't bad .. pretty much as we expect. Got ripped on that last foul call. When I see something like that, seriously, the ref should be suspended. It is absolute incompetence. But as anyone who has been around sports knows, it's par for the course. 3. We saw the good TT. Only thing, again, is just two assists. But this game he was more crisp, in control. If EJ can drop 5 assists, I'll take it. We do need some more creativity out top. Find shots for others. But he had an overall good game. How obvious was this (compared to UK) -- he was in control. No crazy out of control stuff. He's going to turn the ball over a few times being aggressive. That's fine. Add a few more assists, and this was a terrific performance for TT. He won't go 3 of 3 from 3 ball territory all the time, but a net 40% is the goal. He looked like he could do that. 4. Teahan wasn't as bad defensively as the first game, but for a few technical missteps noted on the broadcast. Can't expect him to go 3 of 4 from 3 all the time. 5. We just seem to miss easy scoring opportunities. The first 8 minutes was similar to the UK game. We should have had 4 or 5 more scores. 6. Good team defense. This has to be this team's calling card. You could tell they were very well prepped. 7. But there were a couple blow-bys with no help (wonder if guys are spooked by the arc below the basket re: charges); and we got beat back a few times too. 8. EJ was the offender on one of the times we got beat back (I believe) but he also had a very good defensive game. It is pretty obvious that when he finds some rhythm offensively, we'll see some good stuff. Not shy with the jumper .. but less inclined to take to the hoop. Hope he gets more bold.

Certainly a better second half that the UK game; but I don't really think Georgetown is in the same league as UK (obviously). Otto Porter would have looked pretty nice in crimson and blue.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 4 months ago

Good lord 6 AM came early after watching the game last night/this morning... but totally worth it. Its hard to correct some of the bad things we did against Kentucky when the next team we play has a complete different game plan. But good night make them all shoot free throws until they pass out, oh and also stop them dang three pointers.

kushaw 2 years, 4 months ago

Just some quick observations between KU/G-Town and then it's time to move on to UCLA

1) T-Rob-Slow Down..........I'm not worried at all about his intensity, his mental mindsight, or his preparation to the game. He needs to allow the game to come to him when he is down on the low block. When KU is in a half court set and T-Rob has his defender on his back........he's rushing his post moves. No doubt that motor is in full affect, but it's okay to shift down from 6th to 5th and 4th gear at times.

2) Defense-I thought KU played great defense against the Princeton offense. KU didn't give up a backcut until late in the game when Treyhan got beat. With that said, KU needs to get over the top of those damn screens and hedge those players beyond the 3 point line to make them put the ball on the floor. KU kept getting stuck a couple of times underneath the screen.............which is the worst. Second half was much better.

I know Taylor was cramping, but he still got lazy towards the end of the game which is unacceptable. When Clark got that second opportunity for a 3 late in the game to get G-town back to 3 points was unacceptable. Taylor got a hand in his face the first time, but drifted down the court because he thought KU was going to get the rebound. Instead, G-Town got the rebound and Clark got a second chance with a quick pass out that kept G-Town in the game while Taylor was scrambling back from Half court. Think game situations Taylor.

3) I'm an official down here in the Carolinas and they always talk about Jamie Lucky because he use to officiate in the same High School league so they think he's the greatest thing since slice bread.

As Bilas said commenting on Jeff Withey's 5th bogus foul, "That's just lame". It was not a good night for that officiating crew.

4) EJ-More Aggressive-We..........KU needs for you to be more aggressive geting in the paint. Don't worry about turnovers, but you need to not hang out at the 3 point line so much. You're too damn athletic to be hanging out beyond the 3 point line.

That's all I got because honestly.............it's time to cook some Bruins! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Brian Stoops 2 years, 4 months ago

This is the worst offensive (KU) team I have seen in over 10 years.

I'm not a fan of Releford

Marcus Duncan 2 years, 4 months ago

That was a good, grind-it-out game for the 'Hawks. We need those close games against good opponent early on. They will only benefit us down the road when the competition really heats up. Where has Kevin Young been?? I thought he was going to be a key piece this year? He looked really good in our "Exhibition Games", and provided a boost of energy off the bench against Towson, but only 7 minutes last night(this morning for some), makes me wonder if he is in Coach Self's dog house for some reason. . . Any comments or insite would be appreciated. . . Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

railer20 2 years, 4 months ago

I know we are only 3 games in...but if this is what we can expect from Releford and EJ we might have some issues. Maybe Self gave Johnson the green light to jack up 3's from all over, but it was driving me nuts. And our defense needs to step it up too...Conner needs to fight through screens and our point guards gotta break down their ball handlers better....A win is a win and at this point in the season all we can do is improve! RCJGKU

TXBBall55 2 years, 4 months ago

Either KU is way overrated or G'twn is underrated (or a little of both). The gap didn't look at that wide between these two teams. I'm praying it's just inexperience and things will get bettter, soon.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

Withey's fifth foul was a blown call. He must have been verbaly drawing attention or something else that caused the ref to feel the need to send him to the bench. G'twn ddin't try to get the last foul on him, as they could have done. Had we lost the game, there should have been a complaint issued.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Quick turn around is right. 4 hours of sleep and back at it this morning. Fun game to watch with all the alley oops and lob passes to the rim. Looks like Robinson is going to have a double double every game this year. Now, let's go take care of UCLA and then (hopefully) onto Duke. Nothing would be sweeter at this point in the season than beating the Dookies.