Saturday, November 19, 2011

KU eyes winning, waves in Maui

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor leans forward to receive a lei as a welcoming gesture upon the Jayhawks' arrival at the Kahului Airport on Friday, Nov. 18, 2011 in Maui.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference: Nov. 17, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head men's basketball coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson receives a lei as a welcoming gesture upon the Jayhawks' arrival at the Kahului Airport on Friday, Nov. 18, 2011 in Maui.

photo

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as the team heads for their bus after arriving at the Kahului Airport on Friday, Nov. 18, 2011 in Maui.

Kansas University junior Jeff Withey will swim — and maybe even snorkel — in Maui, but he will not surf.

“I’ve tried it before when I’m back home. I can never get up on the board. I’m too tall,” said Withey, Kansas University’s 7-foot, 235-pound center from San Diego. “I stand up, and it doesn’t work for me. I always fall over. I can’t balance up there.”

Withey’s father, Mike, who is slated to attend the Monday-Wednesday Maui Invitational, and brother, Chris, actually own surf boards.

“My dad’s 6-6 and my brother’s 6-4, so it’s easier for them,” Withey said. “They surf. I boogie board or play volleyball.”

Withey hoped to hit the beach after practice today, a day at least partially deemed a “play day” by KU coach Bill Self.

The Jayhawks, who arrived via charter Friday afternoon, also will have some leisure time after their third and final game of the eight-team tourney.

“I’ve never been around clear water. I’m excited for that,” Withey said. “In our free time, I’ll be jumping in the ocean for sure.”

He may even watch his KU teammate Jordan Juenemann hang 10.

“I tried surfing with Jeff once in San Diego,” said Juenemann, a native of Hays. “I got up one time. It’ll be cool. Jeff was talking about it the other day. The water is going to be so great.”

Freshman Merv Lindsay, who hails from Moreno Valley, Calif., is thrilled that the Maui Invitational is on KU’s schedule during his first year on campus.

“I think everybody will like it. Nobody I’ve talked to on the team has been to Maui. Everybody is going in head first,” he said with a smile.

Withey, who played in the high school Maui Invitational his first season at San Diego’s Horizon High, is the only Jayhawk player who has visited Maui.

“I’ve never been to Hawaii. I am really excited about that. It’s the farthest I’ve been outside the mainland,” said sophomore guard Niko Roberts, a native of Huntington, N.Y. “I am excited as anybody to go to Hawaii because I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii.

“We’ll probably have a little bit of leisure time, but our main focus is to win games and play basketball, not to hang out. If we keep our focus we may get to have a little time off,” Roberts added.

Ninth-year KU coach Self said the best way to “have some fun is win. That’s more fun than anything else. The guys know that.”

The winner of Monday’s KU-Georgetown game (11 p.m., Central time, Lahaina Civic Center) will meet the winner of UCLA-Chaminade at 8:30 p.m., Tuesday. The losers of those two games will play at 3:30 p.m., Tuesday. Third-round games are Wednesday.

“I think it’ll be a great time, but our focus is on winning the tournament,” Withey said. “It’s a great field, and we have to do our best to win. We’re excited about playing (2-0) Georgetown. I’m excited about this tournament. Everybody knows about the Maui Invitational. Everybody watches the Maui Invitational.”

First-round games on the other side of the bracket: Michigan-Memphis (2 p.m., Monday) and Tennessee-Duke (4:30 p.m., Monday).

“It’s a business trip first of all, but it’s a nice place to play,” Juenemann said.

White update

Andrew White, a 6-6 senior small forward from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., told Rivals.com he will orally commit to a college “the week after Thanksgiving. I don’t have an exact date, but it will be in that few days after and then I will sign in the spring. After I make that decision I’m not going to be looking at other schools so that commitment will be just like me signing.”

White, who is ranked No. 56 nationally by Rivals.com, is still considering KU, Texas, Georgetown, Richmond, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

“I’m just trying to do what’s best for my personal career and I’m not caught up in trying to play the recruiting game or to string schools along and I’d really like people to know that,” White told Rivals. “You know going back to the summer before I started getting recruited and looking at where I am now, just getting enough attention to select the school of my choice is great.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey Jeff!
Not being a surfer, I think I know what your problem is! You just need to find a board that's big enough for a 7 footer. Maybe a 20' special?? With a big Jayhawk laminated right in the middle?? Just give our buddy Scot Pollard a ring, and I'll bet he can get you up and hangin' ten in no time. I'm pretty sure he's and old surf bum from WAAAY back. Rock Chalk, Maui Hawks!

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 3 months ago

Waaaay back in 1996 I remember seeing Pollard and LaFrentz battle it out in a pool in Maui with some of those styrofoam noodles. They were yuckin' it up and having a good time!

They won three in a row that trip!!

Maybe relaxing and having a good time will do the same for Jayhawks in 2011!

Alohahawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Aloha, and welcome to Hawaii, guys. Have fun but play it safe in the water. Remember what HCBS said, the best way to "have some fun is win." Nuff said. Tackle surfing after the tourney ends.

And when you return to the cold clime's of Kansas, you can always advise friends that there is more than one way of getting lei'd in the islands. Those wahines waving their hands like palm fronds and wiggling their okoles like ocean waves can be plenty tempting.

RCJHGKU!!! Come on guys, win the tournament, so I can have bragging rights out here!!!

Jackalope7 8 years, 3 months ago

Dang it! I was totally gonna pull out that HCBS quote. Ya beat me to the punch. Oh well. Lets get some W! RCJH!

Funhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

The Washington Post. 11/18/2011.
Headline: Maryland hopes to rebound against Colorado Mark Turgeon and Tad Boyle have taken near identical roads to San Juan this week, where their basketball teams — the 1-1 Maryland Terrapins and the 1-1 Colorado Buffaloes — will meet in a second-round game at the Puerto Rico Tip-off Classic. Turgeon and Boyle were teammates at Kansas, where they played for Larry Brown. From 1994 to 1997, both were assistant coaches under Jerry Green at Oregon. When Turgeon got his first head coaching job at Jacksonville State, Boyle joined his staff. And he followed Turgeon to Wichita State, serving as associate head coach through the Shockers’ run to the 2006 NCAA tournament’s Sweet 16, which ended in Washington with a loss to George Mason. Both coaches also have three children and a wife named Ann. Yesterday's game results here: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313220038

Ken Sedgwick 8 years, 3 months ago

" I stand up, and it doesn't work for me. I always fall over. I cant balance up there." REALLY? Why, I repeat, why? I would hope to hear, I'm looking forward to trying to stay up on a board because I have been working on my balance for the last couple of years.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

Yeah..But I'd rather see Withey working on his game or in the weight room than surfing in Kansas.

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

Its a great place.

The best place I have ever been. Not too hot like Tahiti.

Not to cool like Bermuda.

80-82 year round.

Some jungle. Some arid.

A mountain.

Island hopping.

The trade winds.

Living hall of fame. The beach.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 3 months ago

Very few bugs or mosquitos, no snakes.

Totally laid back, you'll rarely hear a car horn even in the busiest rush hour Honolulu traffic.

Mai Tais

Friendly people

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

Except when the underlying tensions among Hawaiians and haole's bubbles over. They don't forget that we didn't exactly come by Hawaii on the straight and narrow.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, snakes have been smuggled into the Islands and are a threat to the eco-system. Dumb people.

Steve Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

pig roasts, soft air breezes coming across your balconey while you sleep to island music from the courtyard below and pounding of the gentle waves. the coffee is marvelous. easy golf courses with scenic views and lava rock ball eaters.

grass skirts & flowered prints abound,

whales, waterfalls, sub rides, flowers and good time scents surround every path, a tribute to some good college bball start each season.

what a place, hope to go there when I pass.

Alex Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

If Andrew White commits does that mean we are out of scholarships for next year? This may be a pipe dream but I'm still holding onto hope that we can get Shabazz. I hear UK and UCLA are his top two and if Kentucky signs Jarnell Strokes then I believe they are out of scholarships (including expected departures) and UCLA just looks awful.

Also, if the new NBA labor agreement ends up letting kids go into the draft right out of high school again then that is going to change a lot of things. I'm hoping they let kids go into the draft out of high school and if they decide to go to college they have to go for at least two years.

So maybe that's two ideals that won't come true but I can hope!

lee3022 8 years, 3 months ago

The early reports about the NBA CBA were that the league wants to extend to 20 years old and 2 years after graduating from high school. The players want freedom at any age but it is not a 'blood issue'. My bet is the league prevails on this one (actually on nearly all the issues.)

chapelhillhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Several sites were reporting today that KU has received a verbal commitment from Anrio Adams today but we haven't accepted his commitment yet. Does anybody know anything about this kid and what impact it may have on Andrew White?

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

"Some Things KU Players and Staff Need to Be Wary of on Maui"

~The curse of Lono, though it is a far bigger worry on the Kona Coast of the Big Island.

~Jeff Withey being mistaken for a beach umbrella pole and getting left out at night past curfew.

~TRob posing for two seconds as King Kameahameha before transitioning and subsequently having to have surgery to remove Bill Self's shoe from his you know what.

~Tyshawn must avoid mistakenly trying to put a pineapple on the deck and taking it to the rim.

~Travis Releford has to resist the temptation of baking five cocoanut buns, an old Hawaiian slang for baking five pop tarts, which is an old jaybate slang for five turnovers.

~Elijah Johnson must avoid having his uniform eaten by hungry mongeese.

~Jordan Jeunneman must avoid the toxic effects of luau pork on ball moving.

~Naadir Tharpe must not be seduced into wearing a flower shirt under his jersey to direct the offense.

~Justin Wesley must not try to rebound a cocoanut from a palm tree, even if he can jump that high.

~Conner Teahan must resist the temptation of allowing beautiful young women in thongs to come in the huddle and applying sun screen to parts not covered by his uniform, while Coach Self is diagramming plays.

~Danny Manning must wear a hat to avoid reflections of tropical sunlight off his head that could blind players and coaches.

~Bill Self must not say Hawaiian words with in an Okie accent, i.e., no aloha y'all.

~Joe Dooley must wear 100 sunscreen on his ears.

~Kurtis Townend may not wear any of his custom suits and embroidered shirts into the water at Waikiki without a wetsuit over them.

~Barry Hinson must understand that cumulative effects of tropical sun can traumatize his ability to impersonate a deacon.

~And did I mention the curse of Lono?

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

FEARTHEPHOGKJ 8 years, 3 months ago

i would like to see Kansas against duke or memphis that be good for our jayhawks.

Alohahawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Great fiction Jaybate, however: I li you to be one akamai haole (smart non-Hawaiian). So, li'day say in Hawaiian pidgin English - "No li'dis. Li'dat. Unless you like beef?"

Luau pork = Kalua Pig (Pig wrapped in ti leaves, buried underground - in an imu - and baked for hours on hot rocks)

Mongeese = Mongooses (Now if you're talking Nenes, the Hawaiian state bird, which is a goose - they would be geese.)

Women = Wahine (Singular or plural is the same)

Waikiki = (is on the island of Oahu, not Maui. They now have direct flights from the mainland to Maui, so I doubt the Jayhawks will set foot on Waikiki Beach.)

I'll add - To toast a win by the Jayhawks - "Okole maluna." (ie. Okole means the posterior and maluna, towards the moon). So, "Bottoms up". Hope the Jayhawk Nation can all toast the Jayhawks at the end of the tourney.

(No malice intended) :-?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 3 months ago

One of the greatest experiences of my life happened on Maui and I don't want anyone on the basketball team to be within 20 miles of it.......The Maui Downhill.

You get awakened at 3:00 am, and bussed to the top of the volano on the eastern edge of the island. You're dressed in rain gear, gloves, pants, etc. Then at dawn you hop a bike and in groups of 12 to 16 you blast full speed down hill for almost ten vertical miles. it's about noon when you are done.

By the time you get to the bottom, you're wearing a swimsuit and sneakers. Totally thrilling, totally unique, totally scary!!!!!

I highly recommend it to any of you who are there....unless you're a basketball player!!!!!

kerbyd 8 years, 3 months ago

Went to Maui a few years back and at that time they were putting a stop to this downhill because so many people were being hurt badly and even a few were killed because the the company putting the production on were not taking safety precautions to protect those doing it. You may look it up to see if they are even allowed to do this anymore.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 3 months ago

PS OOPS...My memory is a little shaky...it's a ten mile trip back and forth down the face of the mountain with 10,000 foot +/- drop.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 3 months ago

i.e It's really steep and really fast!!

chapelhillhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

hawksfan08 8 years, 3 months ago

I've never heard of him but Rivals rates him as a low 3 star recruit. However, he's being recruited by usc ucla arizona texas gonzaga and ku among others. Not sure why he'd be that heavily recruited if he were a low 3 star?

Alohahawk 8 years, 3 months ago

<p>Scout.com: Rates Adams as "nr". Says he is more of a shooting guard than point guard. But is "fast as a jet". Can shoot the 3. Most Pac Ten schools (including Arizona) have offered, as well as Texas, KU, Gonzaga, Connecticut, and Louisville. So, has high major interest from major players.

ESPN doesn't rate him in their top 100. But did have two write ups on him as player of week in the West: Feb. 2010 - 5' 10" and 175 lbs. - scored 41 pts. in a game. Dec. 2010 - 6' 3" - scored 40 pts. in a game. Similar to what Woolridge did in high school.

Sounds like he would fill the same position as Jackson (6' 2"), who probably wouldn't qualify because of grades. White is 6' 7". If Adams has chosen KU, maybe Self thinks (or has heard) that White has decided to go elsewhere. Muhammad, at 6' 5", is considered more of a small forward.

PS Amazing, KU has a Chapel Hill fan? Or is that "Chapel Hill" somewhere out of N. Carolina?

chapelhillhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Haha, Chapel Hill, NC had a KU fan but my wife and I left a couple months ago and I still haven't changed my user name. I really liked living there and I enjoyed how passionate my neighbors and friends were about college basketball. Now we live in St Louis, MO and these people only seem to care about baseball.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

I had never even heard of Adams .. thought I was on top of our offers.

Here's a link that says we actually did make an offer to the kid.

White would be a pretty nice add if we can snag him. .

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Regarding Anrio 'Rio' Adams, I have also seen it stated that he orally committed today. The kid seems to be somewhat of a mystery. According to ESPN and Rivals, he is unranked (as of now). First, there is this artcle, written July 5, 2011:

This article states (as of July 5, 2011) that he is ranked 82 in the ESPNU 100, and ranked 72 by Rivals. It also leads me to believe he's another multiple high school prospect. Next, there is this article:

Now this article makes it clear that he has had issues with his transcript and possible character issues in the past. It states that he was kicked off his high school team in Seattle during his junior year, and that is when he decided to try and transfer to South Kent Prep in Connecticut. However, that fell through as either his grades weren't up to snuff or there was something else wrong with his transcript. Apparently he finally ended up at another Seattle high school where he wasn't allowed to play ball due to rules regarding transfers.

So finally, once summer rolled along, he played with his AAU team for just "a quarter of the summer" before he moved out to New Jersey to play with an AAU team comprised mostly of players from Elizabeth, New Jersey's St. Patrick's High School. I guess he was going to transfer to St. Patrick's and finish his high school career there until he got homesick at the last minute and moved back to Washington. Supposedly he is going to school and playing his final year at Rainier Beach High School in Seattle.

So in total, he has attended three different high schools: Franklin High School, Garfield High School, and now Rainier Beach High School, all in Seattle, Washington. He has attempted to, or at least considered, playing at five different high schools.

I get the feeling he has all the skill in the world but maybe has some personal issues? I don't know, because I don't know the kid, but after reading about him.... I don't know, like I said, I don't want to judge the kid.

I get the feeling that all this baggage may have something to do with why he was ranked 82 in the ESPNU 100 and 72 by Rivals prior to July 5th of this year and, as of today, he is no longer rated by either service.

Anyhow, here's some of the only video on him that I could find. Appears to have a pretty good shot, and remember that this is from his sophomore year, so I'm sure he's improved since then.

href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...: 2012 Anrio Adams Highlight Reel by PointguardUcom

Kye Clark 8 years, 3 months ago

Good research. Just kind of begs the question: did Self learn nothing from Braedon Anderson, Jamari Traylor, & Ben McLemore? First Landen Lucas and his 3 schools, now this kid. They may all be great kids and good basketball players, and I'm not judging them in that regard either. But is this what KU basketball recruiting has come to? Signing a bunch of 3 star talent (BMac notwithstanding), hoping they are cleared to play, then hoping Self & Co. can coach them up, all the while trying to convince ourselves this is what we really want - a bunch of kids who are guaranteed to stick around 3-4 years and hoping they eventually blossom into solid pieces of the whole. You can call this an arrogant, spoiled attitude to have if you want, but it doesn't make it any less true: we are KU, we shouldn't have to be reaching like this.

Andrew Washington 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree, unranked 3 star recruits are what mid major programs and other teams outside of the big six conferences usually go after. Programs at the top of the college basketball world are usually able to land 4 star recruits somewhere in the top 100. We should be comparing ourselves to programs like duke, unc, uconn, arizona, etc. Teams like St. johns, nc state, memphis should NOT be landing better recruiting classes than KU-especially in years that we need a strong class! How does Roy land top classes every year at unc-even when he already has a strong team? Do you guys believe that he is a "dirty" recruiter? I dont know, im still frustrated that we lost tarc and that the recruiting misses are beginning to adding up..

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

For what it's worth, rrockchalk, if you're really into how many stars a recruit has, or what he is rated, Anrio Adams was rated #72 by Rivals and #82 in the ESPNU 100 on July 5th, but apparently didn't go to some camps this summer and trained on his own, and he's not longer rated by either..

I highly doubt he got that much worse over a span of 4 months or whenever they last updated their ratings.

Recruiting ratings are a complete racket. I think the top 20 or 25 recruits are pretty legit simply because there are usually about that many players in each class who are simply that much better than the rest of the recruits to where they can't stay hidden, but beyond that, I think there is something shady, or at the very least, something very unreliable that happens with the rating of the rest of the players. I don't know what it is exactly, but something is going on.

I simply don't trust those sites. There is no way in hell there were 91 players better than Naadir Tharpe in the class of 2011. Absolutely no way, and it's not even close. But somehow they tossed him down there. I'm just glad we found him.

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, I meant for my two replies to be in response to your comment. Also, I got so far off on talking about BMac and Tharpe and future recruits that I forgot about the original issue, which is "Has Self learned nothing about recruiting guys who've attended multiple high schools?"

See, I completely agree there. I don't have much of an issue with recruiting guys in the lower top-100 or even in the 140 range (though, I do believe it's necessary to get at least 1 guy like Ellis who's almost sure to be an instant impact player), but I am very concerned about us continuing to recruit players who have attended multiple high schools. And if those articles are true regarding this "Rio" guy, and he did commit, then I certainly have to question Bill Self and how desperate he is.

Like you said, the kid might be a good ball player, or even a good person, but the multiple high schools should throw up a red flag immediately. What's worse, he after getting kicked out of the first high school, he tried to transfer to a prep school in Connecticut but his transcript was rejected! That is frightening.

But like I explained in more detail below, we do have Perry Ellis coming in next year, and I don't think anyone besides HiHawk could find something to complain about regarding that recruit. But we've also got Zach Peters who I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised with. I know people are losing their confidence in Self, but he did say that he thinks Peters could potentially be a top-20 recruit (of course, he won't be because he hasn't been playing AAU ball and he committed to KU).

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I agree with most of what you say, icthawk. I have tried to stay positive in regards to our recruiting, but it has been difficult of late.

I understand the point you're trying to make; however, Naadir Tharpe was a 4-star recruit, too. He was rated #92 by Rivals, but I think he should have been much, much higher, at least in the Top 50 range. I know they play different positions, but based on what I've seen this season and in a number of basketball recruiting videos, I believe Naadir is simply has more talent as a basketball player, and certainly a higher basketball IQ than Ben McClemore, who was rated #34 by Rivals. Part of it's my gut feeling, but I really do think Naadir is going to be a special player here at Kansas (I'll get to more on him later). Don't get me wrong though, I'm all about BMac, too.

I've been really, really excited about BMac since we started recruiting him however many years ago and thought he could/would have a huge impact his freshman season, and after seeing Releford play so far this season, I really do think he would have had an outstanding season had he been eligible. I don't want to bag on Releford, and certainly not here, but I have not been impressed with him at all this year, and the more and more I think about it, the harder it is for me to think of a time when I have been impressed by him.

Now, the player I've been most excited about coming into this season, and still am, is Naadir Tharpe. Everyone talks about how he is a much better shooter/scorer than they thought he'd be (even Self said so, which leads me to believe Self didn't recruit Naadir and it was one of the assistants.. If I remember correctly, Naadir committed before making an official visit, or perhaps any visit at all). In all the videos I saw, he had a great 3-point stroke and an even better, more instinctive ability than Tyshawn to penetrate through the lane and either dish to a wing standing beyond the arc or toss up a floater, whichever he chose. I know some might laugh at this, but he reminds me of a young Kemba Walker, and I'm 100% serious. Before you call me crazy, just think of the end of the FHS game and watch this video which is just after his junior year, mind you:

He finishes at the rim with both hands like Kemba, he's got speed like Kemba, he's got a decent mid-range game (Kemba had a great mid-range game), he's a better passer than Kemba, and he may even have a better 3-ball than Kemba (Kemba never shot better than 33.9% from three).

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

And as for the 2012 class, while it hasn't been the success so far that we thought it would be, it's not a complete failure, and it's not finished yet either. We did get Perry Ellis who is already an absolute STUD! and is going to be a lot better by the time he gets here. He's ranked #24 by Rivals, if you're into that sort of thing (he would probably ranked in the Top 10 by now if he had committed to Duke or Kentucky); he doesn't only have a great basketball IQ, but he's going to be another scholar-athlete candidate for us (I believe he's got a 4.0 GPA); he's a very respectful, humble human being; and best of all, he's already got the skill-set of Marcus Morris, and he hasn't even played his senior season of high school ball, yet (Marcus might have a better three-point stroke, but Perry appears to have better ballhandling skills and has a much better hops than either of the Twins coming out of high school). Check this out:

If you aren't excited about that, then I don't know what to tell you.

We've also got Zach Peters coming in next year, who is apparently a beastly 6'10" and extremely athletic. Again, the reason why he isn't rated higher is simply because he hasn't played in the AAU circuit the last two summers (I'm pretty sure that's what I read, I know he didn't play during the 2011 summer, and I don't think he played in 2010 either.) Following his junior season he was rated #97... Sits out from AAU ball, gets bumped down to #144. Meanwhile, Coach Self thinks that he's potentially a Top-20 recruit, and that's what really matters. The kid will be good.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 3 months ago

ibrown3....Don't worry about BenMAc...saw him play in St.Louis several times and he spent much of the games trying to make his teammates look good.

First time I ever saw a coach strongly urge a player to shoot during a timeout...then went out and hit four three pointers in a row to ice the game.

You are totally correct about Travis...if BenMac was eligible, Travis would be seeing some major "pine time."

Ian Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Agreed, Oakville. I didn't mean to detract from BMac so much, I was merely trying to explain how good of a player Naadir is and how great I believe he will be someday. After re-reading it, though, I realized that it sounded much more like I was doggin' on BMac.

And yes, we could really use the Mac at the 2-3 this season. I hate to say it, and before the season I had high expectations for Releford, but I just really don't see him having that breakout year that we've been waiting for. I know it's just been two games, I just don't see it in him and I don't know if we ever will. And I hope I'm wrong. I hope more than anything that I'm wrong, and I would love for all those who believe the opposite about Releford to tell me to eat crow. It would be delicious crow.

And when you quoted "pine time" in your last paragraph, I couldn't help but think of jayhawkinnbr, who, by the way, I am pretty sure has been resurrected and is now "HiHawk".

So on that note, I hope in these next few games Naadir sees a little less PT, that's "pine time," and Tyshawn sees a little more PT, as in "pine time."

Kye Clark 8 years, 3 months ago

ibrown3 - I am stoked about Perry no doubt. I am a graduate of Wichita Heights so I've seen him play many times, and I know about his family and what a great student he is. He's as good a recruit as I could ever hope KU landing, all things considered. And I was excited about BMac as well. My main point was about continuing to recruit kids with obvious eligibility issues. Last year you could tell it was out out of desperation to fill out the roster. But why now? Obviously we don't know what he might have been told about Andrew White and/or Shabazz, but this early it still feels like a reach.

And I'll tie that in further with the recruiting rankings. I don't think they're the gospel, nothing is when predicting the collegiate success of a bunch of high school kids. But I do think they can be a useful guide. And while I certainly understand that you aren't going to win every recruiting battle, is this really the best back-up plan? Even if you have to dip a little lower into those rankings, can't we find some 3 star players that are going to be a lock to play next year? I can live with signing someone like BMac and then being disappointed he's ruled ineligible, because he's talented enough that it's worth the wait (even though this year's squad could really use him). So I think it should be an either/or scenario, but not both. Either signing the special talents and running the risk of them not being eligible, or signing the 3 star kids that have no eligibility issues. And again, just as a back-up. Obviously it's preferable to get guys like Perry - blue chippers with no issues.

Kye Clark 8 years, 3 months ago

I'll expand a bit on my own personal feelings on the rankings. As HEM has pointed out before, if Self was so high on a lot of these guys, why wasn't he recruiting them in the first place? Like Landen Lucas. Self stopped recruiting him because we thought we had Tarc. I actually saw a post from someone making the case for Lucas being better than Tarc! If you don't want to trust the recruiting rankings on these kinds of things, then trust Bill Self (as so many posters often throw out as their definitive argument - "You don't know more than Coach Self. He knows what he's doing. I think I'll trust his decisions over the word of some armchair board rat that probably never played Division 1 basketball". Blah blah blah). If you want to ignore the rankings, at least acknowledge that Coach Self wasn't high on these guys either. He was after the same guys everyone else was after, and when he couldn't bring them here then, and only then, did he go after the Jamari Traylors, the Laden Lucases, the Rio Adams of the world. Because he had to, not because he wanted to. Now this doesn't necessarily apply to Nadiir Tharpe and Zach Peters, because they committed early before one would think Self would be desperate. However, seeing how early Self is reaching for some of the kids for next year's class, it makes me wonder. But...I'm excited about Tharpe. My favorite point guard I've seen here was Aaron Miles, a "true, pass-first" point guard, and Tharpe seems to be more in that mold. And I think Peters will be a good-very good post presence for us. I'm actually more excited for next year, even though we'll most likely be without TRob. A core of Nadiir Tharpe, BMac, Ellis, & Peters is an excellent start. Just think we need a couple more pieces. A true wing player would be nice.