Wednesday, November 16, 2011

UK wins, but John Calipari not impressed

Kentucky head coach John Calipari rips into his players during the first half on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 75-65 loss to Kentucky on Nov. 15, 2011.

Download podcast

— Kentucky guard Doron Lamb believed his team made a statement following the Wildcats’ 75-65 victory over Kansas on Tuesday night.

“We played a top team that was ranked and beat them today,” Lamb said. “I just wanted to let everybody know today that we were the best team in the country.”

After being tied at 28 in the first half, Kentucky opened the second half on an 11-2 run to take control.

Still, UK coach John Calipari wasn’t entirely pleased with his team’s performance.

“We don’t believe we have to truly play together yet,” Calipari said. “It’s not talent that wins — it’s good teams that win.”

The Kentucky coach said, especially in the first half, his players weren’t following plays, opting instead to do their own thing.

“Did they even look coached in the first half?” Calipari said. “I heard somebody yell behind me — and I don’t hear people — somebody yelled, ‘Geez, run a play! Coach, run something!’ I was ready to go, ‘You tell them. I’m trying to tell them, and they’re not listening to me.’ We are really young.”

In the first half, Kentucky had 12 turnovers and made 10 of 26 shots (39 percent).

“Didn’t it look like we were competing with each other in the first half? ‘I’m getting mine. He’s getting his. Oh, you didn’t get it?’” Calipari said. “You cannot compete within your team. You complete each other. So we’ve got a ways to go.”

The coach also wasn’t happy with some of his team’s emotional outbursts in the second half.

“The only problem is you have to do that to each other, not to the opponent,” Calipari said. “You want to talk, but you talk to your team. And I had to grab a couple of the guys.

“Again, they’re young. They don’t know better. They think they’re in Orlando, and they’ve got another game tomorrow morning and another one tomorrow afternoon.”

Even with all the criticisms of his team, Calipari said he was proud of his players.

“They had a will to win,” Calipari said. “That’s what I wanted to see. That’s the hardest thing to teach in what we do — a will to win.”

Comments

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

But Coach Cal...that's what you recruited... You're complaining because you got what you asked for?

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 9 months ago

His team acted like a bunch of punks. And he allows it to happen. Teague is a punk. How he could be talking trash when he had about 10 TO's is just funny to me. But Cal keeps him out there. Jones is the biggest punk of all. I'm so glad he is not on our team. What a classless moron. If he pulled that crap on our team he would be riding behind the bench w/ Ben Mc and Jamari. He's talented, yes, but his attitude would keep him out of so many mins on our team. Davis on the other hand, wow! That kid is special. I'd take him in a second... But Kleave is right, this is what you get when you recruit thugs, you get thuggish behavior

RockCaCO3 2 years, 9 months ago

I know you didn't mean this, but Ben and Jamari aren't riding the bench because they're thugs. I wouldn't include Jones in the same sentence with any of the KU players. You're right, he's a punk. Or at least acted like one last night.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd take Terrance Jones anyday of the week. for those that wouldnt, you're foolish!

Cameron Schienebeck 2 years, 9 months ago

Do they need to flex after every hoop, rebound, block, drink of Gatorade....

Kentucky motto: You don't need class to play at Kentucky.

Take that how you want to.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

I think UK "flexed" they're way to a convincing win! lmao UK is the class of the Blue Bloods

TrizzHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

LMAO we'll see when Coach Cal messes up again they remove some wins. A school with real class would never hire a coach like him. stfu and stay off this site Kensucky troll.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

you do know that UNC, Duke and KU barely consider you a blue blood after hiring calapari... right?

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

You do realize you alone do not represent the feelings of 3 schools right? Keep hating.

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

The word is "their," idiot. Displaying that fine UK education, I see.

kusayzone 2 years, 9 months ago

They only have 6 players.....that will be Kentucky's downfall

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

umm, Tyshawn Taylor said our 1 through 7 is scary, and only goin to get better,, so I think he's right.... but if we suffer a big injury, and then yeah, that could be a downfall.., i hope not.

MGJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Your team lives and dies by the outside shot (namely the 3). If you aren't hitting then you will lose the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. You have more talent than you know what to do with. They aren't a good team though. Probably will be by March if they check their ego at the door.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget that really astounding IQ.

RCJHGKU!!!

RockCaCO3 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not a big Vitale fan, but I could tell he wasn't impressed with some of the actions of the UK players ("Just play the game, that's not necessary."), actions which their recruiter (aka coach), allows.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Has Teague ever made a basket before? Because the way he celebrated after every bucket made it look like he's never scored before. And why did that one guy have pullens beard on his eyebrows?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

I thought KU actually played good, rough in the first half. The first 5 mins of the second half we didn't make some adjustments and they got the lead. UK coasted from there. I personally, thought that TT figured out some things in the second half and was finally putting their team in foul trouble. TRob I thought got frustrated and it started to show, and he didn't pass out of triple teams. I thought TReleford struggled at times. All in all it would have been monstrous win for us, but I don't think anyone left that game saying KU couldn't hang with the best. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even drop in the polls. Right now we are in that 10-15 range where we belong. We have a lot of growing up to do this year and we knew it. More than any other year recently, we need the non-conference to build us up for conference play.

I think Withey had a quietly solid game, and I really think he was the key to some of the UK frustration in the first half.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

I can aggree with that assessment... Well said...from a UK fan

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

Class from a UK fan? (Picks jaw up off the floor) +1

TheGiftedOne 2 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky gained a lot of haters last night for sure. I wasn't too impressed with the team outside of Lamb and Davis. Jones got a few lucky rolls and whistles... still wayyy too cocky. They beat a much less talented team that had a bad night. They will struggle against teams that can shoot like all teams do.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

seriously? UK always has haters,, but u know what,, Cry me a River! u lost, and owe up to it! TJ is a beast, and Robinson is of pure Thuggery... Our Defense is ferocious w/ our length...

TheGiftedOne 2 years, 9 months ago

Your beasts were acting like this was the NCAA title game... no titles in November. Never understood why fans got so randy off early season success. I DOEST F-ING MATTER...MOVE ON. Oh you're pretty damn happy about this game aren't you? Finally have something to be happy about after finding out your grandma is also your mom. Have fun losing in the sweet sixteen asswhipe.

P.S. Teague looked like crap that entire game aside from one three ball... he of course went on to get cocky about. I wasn't suprised, its not like he has been there before.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

hey, u beat me to here, lol I had had enough of the Jayhawk trolls commin on to our website.... #sweet revenge 4 sure... and I think Shabbazz was impressed, as he watched the game intently... and UCLA had a shocking loss

TrizzHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

who's a TROLL ? im confused....

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

A troll, in internet language, is someone who posts on message boards with the intention to upset, anger and otherwise rile up the regular posters of that website. A troll's goal is nothing but to piss people off and create chaos.

I often times post on here, in response to comments by obvious trolls (whose usernames often contain the names of mascots of other teams) asking who has the time to create user accounts on other teams' websites and troll them. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I would like to give UK credit for making the second half adjustments, but I resent the idea that T-Rob is a thug...

kurocker154325 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't know what your talking about "talent, talent, talent." If you didn't notice right up there Coach Cal. just said "it's not talent that wins, it's good teams that win."

MGJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I give UK all the credit in the world. They made it hard for KU to do anything.

The difference is UK isn't disciplined enough to be "smart" on the floor. I'm sure we'll have a few of the players suspended at some point (Jones or Teague). No discipline.

The fact that your Bone, Thugs 'n Harmony team needs to flex, scream and stare down other players when they score tells me all I need to know about their character. All they care about is themselves. All they care about is "the league". All they care about is "looking good".

Typical Coach Cal team.

Still give them and Coach Cal credit for harvesting talent and winning.

Hopefully we'll see you again in March and you'll see a different KU team

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

Please I hope we play in March. Last night was your only chance to sniff a win against us. You would have no shot after Jan. Our guys are young and of course they are going to play like it is their 3rd college game. Nothing wrong with showing some excitement. Are you going to tell me no Jayhawks scream and yell after a dunk or big play? They will only get better. Problem with KU is, they are probably overrated and a borderline top 25 team.

AZJayhwk79 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad you felt that UK played a perfect game! I don't think anyone is saying that you didn't deserve the win, in fact there are not harder critics of KU than KU fans, because we expect winning! You did deserve the win. You made the adjustments in the second half and we didn't. However, just as everyone here has said, Teague is unbelievable...you can talk that much crap after scoring your first bucket in the second half. At that point, when the refs were telling him shut up, he was at I believe 4 points and 6 or 7 turnovers? I think you learned a lot about your team, talented yes, but selfish even more. John C said it best at the end of the game, when you make your bed you have to sleep in it. Finally, I don't think that many people expected to see KU win this game last night with the massive changes that were made in off season, but there were some good moments that we can take away from the game...

Steve Kubler 2 years, 9 months ago

Agreed, pretty much hate the NBA. I try to watch it every couple of years and normally last about 10 minutes.

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 years, 9 months ago

I think that the big difference in the game was that KU didn't have a go to play or player established to head off UK's big second half push... KU stopped running offense because they were being bothered by UK's length and quickness on D. A more disciplined team would have stuck to the game plan, but this team let the pressure get to them. Self said he stopped trying to force them to run plays and started letting them just spread the floor to try and beat their man - I thought that was a mistake, but I think Self saw it as a teaching moment for later in the season... if you panic and stop running offense against a REALLY athletic team, you lose. KU might have pulled off a win if they hadn't lost faith. All in all, UK looked strong, and will be a huge factor in March and April - if KU can get a little discipline and make progress as a team, they may find UK for a rematch in the tourney! RCJHKU!!

TheGiftedOne 2 years, 9 months ago

Talent, talent, talent that has never won a title for coach Cal. F*** off they don't crown champions in November.

Steve Brown 2 years, 9 months ago

I miss Coach Wooden philosphy good play doesn't need showboating.

One fine FB coach shared when you get in the end zone act like you have been there before.

UK is loaded, hats off to CCal for recruiting talent, like to see them play in March and see if they have grown up, not expecting it.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

UKonvictuckyLieSqueaker,

Nothin' new here but KU is younger than UK for a change, shot 47% from trey on our 26% trey night, and so you caught us on a good night.

Califorfeit and UKonvictucky are doing the same old same old.

A bunch of talent (that will likely turn out to be ringers downstream) playing like AAU shizz for half a season, then coming on second half, but never mature enough to get it done down the stretch.

Yawn.

UKonvictucky is very, very, very soft. Demarcus "Pillsbury Doughboy" Cousins soft. Long and soft.

Terence and the other stick were getting intimidated by Jeff Withey, who is the softest big to play at KU in 15 years. Withey was running with your guys and altering and swatting. Withey will be a good, slender big man by the end of this season, but he's not going to be able to take the XTReme Muscle down the stretch and neither or your softies. Both your guys were softies.

Heck, this is our worst rebounding team in Self's tenure and our softies out rebounded your softies.

And don't waste breath talking about shutting TRob down. TRob injured his knee and has had no hops since. Healthy, he would have twisted Terrence into a pretzel dipped him in mustard and eaten him alive.

We are younger that UK.

We are as soft as UK.

We are finding our way, where as UK is doing its same old same old.

UK is soft, soft as fabric softener, soft as UNC.

But Duke, Ohio State, and Michigan State are hard. MSU lacks talent, but they are sooooo hard.

And all three will make your softies whimper when they meet.

We've won 30 games the last two season and 84% since Self got to KU playing hard. We've won a ring. We are hard, hard, hard, hard.

We play like men, by the end of every season, even when we start soft.

But Johnny No Rings coaches soft, his players play soft, and they lose soft.

Self likes to harden our guys up and he will.

Next time we won't be as soft as you will remain.

Think about punk.

UKonvictucky was full of 5 stars and if they had had an off shooting night youngest ever, softest ever KU team would have punked you chumps.

UK--the Downey fabric softeners of D1.

LOL!

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't even know where to start on this one. By chance, were you off your meds when you posted this?

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk " fans, Nobody was belting out that silly chant last nite in venerable MSG. Actually UK shoulda won by at least 20..... So yeah,I'm trolling on here., I know, u'll hate it but, just returning the favor from some of u punks from awhile ago on our site...#Sweet Revenge..

TheGiftedOne 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't hate it. If I were you I'd hate myself for being a pathetic Kentucky fan but we don't mind. Have fun chillin bro.

UKSkywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

also GiftedOne ( can't imagine in what) u have to be a pathetic Kansas fan... yeah, I'm chillin like a villian

WilburNether 2 years, 9 months ago

North Carolina will mop the floor with the Kentucky punks.

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

So does that mean they would run KU out of the building then? KU doesn't have the talent to even win a watered down Big 10 title.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

Dude, I'm not gonna defend the KU trolls on your boards, but two d-bags don't make a nice guy. And just who are you exacting your revenge on? I bet those trolls of yours have never set foot on this site. Most of us (in fact I'd say nearly all of us) here at KUSports consider ourselves too classy for that kind of juvenile behavior. It's a shame you don't feel the same.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

Can anyone tell KU posters to quit trolling other sites? I can't stand trolls and I will not accept KU fans lowering our reputation to that level. I hate to say it, but if we have Jayhawk trolls on Kentucky sites, then we do, indeed, deserve UKSkywalker trolling ours.

Only you can prevent trolling.

Jayhawks don't troll. We're better than that. Stop it....stop it now.

Kyle Rohde 2 years, 9 months ago

In the comments after the game, Calipari changed my opinion of him a bit - if he's being that open in public about the selfish, AAU-esque play of his team, I'm betting he's ripping them a new one in practice.

Yes, he's got a shady history but you don't need to do anything shady to get guys to play for Kentucky. My fellow Jayhawks, all the hate you're sending his way now is mostly because we think KU should be getting the same level of recruits and we can't figure out why Self is having such a hard time doing it.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

I'll +1 that comment. I was also somewhat impressed with his comments. Although, some of these guys, I'm kind of glad they're not playing at KU. Though, you never know how they'd act under Self.

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

No doubt about it, T. Jones is a very talented and strong willed player who should find a quick niche in an NBA jersey. His confrontational attitude would not have set well with my image of an amateur competitor representing Kansas in a Jayhawk uniform. From the signing day cap incident to his subsequent 24 hour commitment switch to his ugly mugging disposition on the court, the guy is not a class act. Ugly role model image for youngsters who yearn to play bigtime ball. He should be highly successful as a professional athlete, but soils the image of amateur sport. Losing any contest is tough to swallow, but losing to a guy like that is truly bitter vetch.

bad_dog 2 years, 9 months ago

You forgot the most recent event in the TJ "class act" timeline "fleeing the scene of an accident".

Oh yeah, I didn't mention he was just a passenger... Somewhere a smirking Jon Lovitz is saying: "I was just a passenger. Yeah, that's the ticket."

Jordan Young 2 years, 9 months ago

UK you guys played a team that had 2 walkons (now on scholarship) that played about 20 mins plus each and only beat um by ten. You're talent is impressive there is no doubt about that but Self if by far a better coach for coping with what he has. We've proven it we don't need lottery picks to win.

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

I always thought the coach was responsible for recruiting? Did I miss something?

Kc Ticketguy 2 years, 9 months ago

I was really not that impressed with either team. Kentucky did play some pretty solid defense or at least did get hands infront of the shooter, altered a few shots. Kansas really didn't hit many shots that were wide open. I would not say that it was a awesome win for Kentucky.

I know the kids are young but..I didn't understand the flexing and chest beating when Kentucky made a totally normal shot. Trob is just a specimen but you don't see him standing around flexing after every shot he makes.

Bill Self will allow the occasional celebration, but last night was hilarious as far as the "look at me I did something good," attitude from Kentucky.

That being said its the second game of the season. Its not like they beat us by 30. Congrats to Kentucky on the win.

RockChalkGuy 2 years, 9 months ago

Credit to Kentucky...they have a ton of talent and will probably be able to bulldoze most of the competition with it. Credit to Kansas, they have Class and that will last a lifetime.

I'm disappointed in the second half. Letting UK bolt to a 10 point lead at the start of the second half was probably the main factor in the loss. We should have shown much more poise and been able to fight back. This is the kind of loss that we've been lacking the last several years. Now it's up to HCBS to capitalize on it and make our team battle tested for April.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

UK Skywalker, UKALLDAY and any other Wildcat posters on this site. Congratulations, you deserved to win. Your team is uber-talented and will be a force.

You have the good fortune of having two outstanding players [Jones and Lamb] return while Kansas has the misfortune two outstanding players [the Morris twins] leave.

I will not stoop to some of the childish name calling and manhood measuring comments posted above from both sides. Hopefully we will see you one more time...in Indianapolis in March.

PS if you see Ashley, please tell her that "Someone Like You" is one of my favorite movies...especially her cheerleading in her underwear scene!! :}

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Screw congratulations.

This is our youngest, softest, least talented team with TRob playing without hops and but for shooting 26% from trey, KU would have beaten this bunch of fabric softeners from Stillville.

UK = soft.

UK = Downey.

UK = was intimidated by Jeff Withey!

UK is massively overrated.

They play sooooo soft.

Call the the UK Flaccidbreds.

The UK Limpcats.

They didn't show one ounce of manhood out there!

Imagine big bad Terrence Jones getting his shot altered by Jeff Withey!

Last year's team would have beaten this latest UK AAU team by 25 points.

Did you see Duke before this game?

Duke would kill UK right now.

So would any team that plays like men.

I was massively disappointed in UK's lack of manhood. They played just as soft and hoppy as Memphis used to under CaliDowney.

But I was even more massively disappointed by KU letting one slip away.

As weak and young and soft as we are right now, shoot 40% from trey and have Travis play a decent game, and we would have taken them easily.

They are not a very good team right now, regardless if they learn how to play well later in the season.

I was soooo glad we were playing them instead of Duke, MSU, or Ohio State this early. Those other teams would have beaten us by 30 points on our 26% trey night.

As usual, UK fans don't know what they don't know.

They are soft.

And soft doesn't cut it in D1 any more, no matter how many 5 stars you have.

Period.

chalky 2 years, 9 months ago

No, You are right Oakville. If credit is not given when due, when can we give it. We have been, and will be, a team that deserves credit for that days win. Yesterdays teams dont play today...tomorrows are not here yet. Kentucky won this years matchup. No sour grapes, cause its time to get back to work. Congrats Kentucky.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

PS Next year, when you play Missouri, please beat the living snot out of them. Thanks.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow... when that happens, for the first time in years, I will actually be cheering for Kentucky!

RockCaCO3 2 years, 9 months ago

OK, Calipari's picture has been up long enough. Time to switch it.

Michael Maris 2 years, 9 months ago

Kentucky did what they needed to do to win the game. But, the fact that they have as many players as they do constantly going around and thumping their chest and acting as such is uncalled for.

Morris Twins had that behavior in their early days at Kansas. But, the coaching staff at Kansas had to work on showing the Morris Twins that their thuggerish behavior was uncalled for and not acceptable.

Had T. Jones chose to attend Kansas, I'm sure that Mr. Jones attitude would be addressed accordingly as well by the KU Coaching Staff. Last night game was a game to let the team know what they needed to improve on for future games against the high caliber basketball teams that KU will be facing in the near and distant future.

What I did see is that KU is not atheletic enough at the 3 spot (with Teahan and Releford) to compete with more athletic teams as Kentucky. If Kansas is not hitting their 3's, it is going to be a long night for KU (hasn't that been a thorn in the side of the KU team over the past few years?).

J. Wesley is a very nice surprise. He looks to be a good role player for KU. Looks to be a plus defender and rebounder and will get his minutes. This season will not see KU getting to 30 wins. But nonetheless, it will be a winning season.

ParisHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Part of class is treating the other guy like he has it. Golden rule, anyone?

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 2 years, 9 months ago

Agree with this!

Was hoping to see KU double down on defense in the 2nd half; I think they might have had a comeback to Kentucky's run if they could have gotten more stops. Hopefully this game will provide positive experience should they need to make a come back in future games.

A lot of second half offense was TT driving in, getting fouled, and going to the line. We needed other scoring players; hopefully this game will be a learning oppertunity offensively as well!

Am very proud of the Jayhawks, even in defeat! They show lots of promise, teamwork, and class!

Rock Chalk!

bennybob 2 years, 9 months ago

So Ralster

Im still waiting for TT to use that short range pull up jumper you were so admant he learned how to use over the summer. I beleive you hosed me with a bunch of insults and profanity for not taking your word for it if i remember correctly.

I could count at least a half a dozen times when that pull up would have been a easy bucket last night, only to watch TT push it to deep and get blocked or miss an impossible lay up.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

"Loss Distillate"

~TRob can't jump. Period. The knee injury wrecked the elasticity in the tendons and he won't get it back this season. He's like Kaun now. Big. Strong. Tough, But can't clear the floor. He is a natural rebounder, however, where Kaun was not. But still that was the lowest elevation on a dunk in recorded history. So: TRob has to be converted into a horizontal player for the rest of this season. Last season's TRob would have put on an aerial ballet over the UK softies. Not this season. This season's TRob has to become a garbage man power forward. Playing through him is no longer a feasible option, except against lesser talent.

~Withey is soft, but man is he mobile and man can he block and alter!!!! Withey is the future of the team offensively, while TRob transforms himself into either Charles Oakley/Maurice Lucas, or magically regains his hops with some injection of super ball rubber into his tendons. Playing through Withey on offense is going to be very dicey, because he is so soft, but the way to do it is to start him on one side of the lane and use both a wing and TRob to set screens for him as he comes across the lane. The game is to get him 5-8 foot looks; then have one or two perimeter players charge the rim that Withey can dish off too if he hasn't got a clear look. Basically, it is Withey shooting, or making short alley oops to wings going to the iron. Kevin Young could become the new secret weapon at the three. Travis could do this, too, but he has to find his game finally. But Withey coming off an inside screen, shooting a short floater, or alley oohing to Kevin crashing from a ring would be almost unstoppable. Any one that does stop it, then kick it out to EJ, or Conner, which ever one is in.

~Playing the kind of game I have just described with Withey, then allows Self to use TT, EJ, or Naadir, at the point. It doesn't matter which. Each guy brings a little something different.

~Further, playing this style of game would mean largely junking the three guard offense. Instead, you would play Conner, EJ and Travis at the 2 quite a bit, and KY and Travis at the 3.

~You have one point guard in the game. One guy who initiates everything. Rotate TT, EJ and Naadir at the point and kept them as fresh as possible all the time.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

~Self is trying to move to having 2, or even three point guards in the game at a time and having them take turns running things each trip down the floor; that won't work. Junk it. The problem last night is that TT and EJ had no idea how to play this game of two point guards. Neither one ever got in control of the game. And Naadir doesn't know how to be anything but a PG and so he has no clue how to share effectively.

~Self was moving in this direction down the stretch vs. UK. He said nothing works, we can't shoot for sheep dip, and you perimeter guys can't figure out what I'm trying to get you to do as a group, so simplify and let TT take it to the paint every time. Don't even screw with the bigs any more either. That's okay for five minutes in a desperate situation, but...its time to go back to a down the middle team offense with TT at point, and Withey coming off inside screens by TRob and a wing, while KY crashes the rim almost every time down the floor.

Its a two routine offense, each with a couple options. This keeps it simple for young players and uses what we have in roles they can be good at.

Routine 1: PG to wing who feeds Withey coming off an inside screen.

a. Withey who pops a 5-8 footer; or

b. Withey short alley ooops to a crashing KY who dunks ( he likes to dunk); or

c. Withey kicks to Conner for the trey.

Routine 2: Drive and dish either from out front, or from a wing.

Boom! Pick and roll? Fuggedabout it. High lo? Fuggedabout it.

One other possibility is Princeton for 35 seconds, but a rabbi converting to Islam is more likely than Self converting to the Princeton.

Timothy Rake 2 years, 9 months ago

Gee, I feel like this may be a long long season! KU was flat-footed, but as much as I hate to say it, give Kentucky credit for the win, BUT NOT for the attitude. Dickie V had that right. And come to think of it, maybe HCBS ought to hire someone more knowledgeable – like Jaybate – to coach us through a tough year.

Mike Schell 2 years, 9 months ago

am i the only person that sees that big bushy eyebrow on davis lmao he needs to shave that thing off he look all pissed off when its there looking at everybody.. but iguess taht discribes kentsuckys players..... disgusting

texashawk10 2 years, 9 months ago

Both teams played like crap last plain and simple as did Duke and MSU. The difference in both games was UK and Duke played lights out to start the 2nd halves of each game. KU missed way too many bunnies and had they made a lot of those, they would've won pr it would've been a much closer score.

dipperjones 2 years, 9 months ago

I have a love-hate relationship w Bill Self's high-low, Gene Iba, Okie-baller approach. Calipari runs a dribble-drive, playground offense that gives players the opportunity to showcase their individual skills. They go to Kentucky, or Memphis, or wherever the hell else Calipari ends up next after he gets in trouble for recruiting violations and being an all-around slimeball because the NBA makes 'em go to college for a year. These thugs don't care about Kentucky and their legacy, they're there because they have to be and Calipari takes the leash off of his pups. You cannot sustain a TEAM like that, but you better keep getting the top recruits.

Self, on the other hand, is a stubborn disciplinarian who tells recruits you're gonna run the high-low offense, go through boot camp, rebound and play defense or I'll sit your butt on the bench. Most of the OADs say "no thank you". I hate the NBA's rule! W social media and shoe companies and handlers and everybody else that wants to take advantage of young kids and profit off of their athletic talent, let 'em go to the NBA. These kids don't wanna go to school and graduate, they wanna cash in. College athletics is "amateur" in name only. It's big business, period! Let the playground jackwagons go straight to the NBA and give me the kid(s) that wanna be part of a TEAM and a school for four years. How Calipari has never beaten Self until last night under the current college atmosphere is baffling and a credit to Self's coaching acumen.

If I see one more high school hard-ass, a la Terrence Jones, call a presser attended and covered by National Media, whereby said high school "amateur" places 5 or 6 hats on a table, pretends to pick one (Kansas) and instead picks Washington, and then takes a cell phone call from John Calipari while the cameras are still rolling and later changes his commitment to Kentucky, I'm gonna vomit and kick somebody's cat.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

"On John Calipari"

~First we owe him one for not blowing us out.

~Next, how does Cal land all of these guys, when Roy, Coach Consonants, Izzo, Donovan, Matta, and Self cannot?

~Cal hasn't won a ring as Self and Slick Rick have.

~Cal hasn't won two rings as Donovan and Roy and Calhoun have.

~Cal hasn't won four rings as Coach Cheap Shots has.

~Cal has never been considered one of the top bench coaches in the game.

~Cal has not won a ton of games like Coach Cheap Shots has.

~Cal has not been free of forfeits as these other coaches have.

~The other coaches have not had clouds of investigations hanging over them repeatedly, as Cal has.

How does Cal do it?

It seems unrelated to mousse. Last night I noticed he has lost the mousse.

It seems unrelated to Larry Brown. Self is just as close to Larry as Cal is.

Its seems unrelated to school, or size of arena. Cal had the same kind of success recruiting at Memphis that he is having at UK.

What is it?

It seems unrelated to amount of media hype. Coach K gets more media hype that Cal does.

So: how does Cal do it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I could understand this if Cal were getting a few more of the 5stars than Roy, Consonants, Izzo, Matta, Donovan and so on.

But Cal gets way more of the 5stars and he gets way more every year.

Can a man have such a magnetic personality that he can beat all of these great coaches for the best players every year?

The only other coach I can think of that has ever held this kind of an edge in recruiting talent for this length of time is John Wooden.

When John Wooden began to land all of the best talent all of the time, inquiring minds eventually dug up Sam Gilbert as a significant driver of Wooden's recruiting success.

Could there be someone like that in Cal's background?

I wonder.

dipperjones 2 years, 9 months ago

And how does Cal get his OADs cleared by the NCAA given his reputation and propensity for missteps? Is the NCAA punishing Kansas for the ticket scandal or is it really an objective, case-by-case assessment?

Joe Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

I know it sounds bad and people want proof. Just because the proof isn't obvious, doesn't mean nothing is going on in Lexington. You can call it what you want but there's a lot of smoke. Lexington was desperate to get the program back to the glory days. They endured Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby and Gillespie. They were extremely anxious to get the program back on a consistent winning track. They didn't even give Gillespie a chance. They barely gave him time to recruit and the trip to the NIT was enough. They decided to make a deal wth the devil. I believe uk has tarnished a great program by allowing a coach to win at all costs. He has gotten the support of the entire booster and has a solid out in the event his less than reputable actions are revealed. He will find a way to walk away into yet another opportunity. The uk program will be left desolate and completely ruined. The program and fans are blinded by the means to the end. The program is a ticking time bomb that will blow up in the face of the entire blue nation. It will be a sad day in the history of uk bball. But hey, a winning record is more important than maintaining a reputable program. I wish the program well and hope they are doing something to keep this coach accountable. My guess is he was told to win at all costs. The boosters and fans were demanding it. The price is paid and the devil has delivered his promise, now they will pay the ultimate price for allowing the devil access to their once great historical program. Adolf Rupp would turn in his grave. I believe another great coach recently brought the current uk coaching practices into question as well.
NO ENVY or Malice at all, just a bball lover that hates to see any program endure the ultimate loss. I'm not casting stones or hating at all. I will simply wait and watch because a day of reckoning will come. The said fact is Memphis paid for their former coach's actions.

What profit is there if a coach gains all the great wins and top recruits in the nation, yet lose the soul of the program to gain greatness? Paraphrased.

I hope I'm totally wrong for the sake of all college bball. I wonder what Dr Naismith would think of college bball today? Reckoning is coming very soon. It's ironic that Coach K mentioned "the bball gods are good." They may be good but how just are the gods? We shall see all in due time.

Chad Hallack 2 years, 9 months ago

Jason,

Nobody here cares what Calipari thinks... Take out the trash.

Chad Hallack 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse not Jason - my bad... the dumpster's out back.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

I just wanted to say that I love Coach Self.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

Pretty unimpressive showing from the #2 team actually... I personally wouldnt brag to anyone about it.

DRsmith 2 years, 9 months ago

I completely agree. UK has the talent to run KU off the floor and they didn't. I am hoping after a couple months our youngsters play more team ball.

bennybob 2 years, 9 months ago

I think i found a subject all of us (UK and KU fans) can agree on:

At the beginning of the game last night ESPN put up a graphic showing ONLY KU's and UK's all time wins JUST THOSE TWO SCHOOLs and the comment was made that the two schools playing tongiht were the two winningest of all time.

what was Dickie V's only response to that graphic and comment?

That DUKE and UNC were 3rd and 4th all time!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!! your about to watch a game between numbers 1 &2 in wins and ESPN went out off there way to give the annoucers a minute to comment on that fact and the only thing Dickie V can do is talk about who's numbers 3 and 4?

i've never been a fan of that guy but when i saw that last night my dislike became a hatred.

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

slayr, I wondered, too, about Kevin Young's getting so little playing time. Perhaps he got in the doghouse with the coaching staff this week?

gulchhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

When will Coach C mess up again? A leopard never loses his spots....only a matter of time and the NCAA will come down on him againl...one thing is for sure..program sales are at their highest for UK basketball.....

southwindjay 2 years, 9 months ago

T Rob has got to get used to being double and triple teamed, Taylor don't revert back to well you know, Conner know your role, Tharpe looked a little like a deer in the head lights (somewhat expected) and have we forgot how to run an offense? 9 assist really?

We have a lot to work on but I think we can play well if everyone stays focused and works actually applies what coach tells them.

Remember NC was in the NIT a couple of years ago, Duke finished 9th in the ACC a few years ago and Kentucky was missing in action for several years. It will turn.