Originally published November 9, 2011 at 04:20p.m., updated December 9, 2011 at 08:28p.m.

Charlie Weis introduced at KU

New coach says KU 'unique' opportunity, right fit for his family

Charlie Weis laughs at the podium as he addresses media members during a news conference in which Weis was announced as the new football coach for KU on Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Videos

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

video thumbnail

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Sheahon Zenger introduced Charlie Weis as KU's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Download podcast

Charlie Weis was introduced as the new head coach at Kansas during a press conference on Friday afternoon at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Though it's not finalized yet, KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said the contract would be for five years and is expected to be for around $2.5 million per year.

Weis said he first met with Zenger on Thursday morning.

"I think I would have been foolish to not come on board (at KU)," Weis said.

Weis began by discussing his family's situation. His wife, Maura, and 16-year-old daughter, Hannah, will continue to live in Florida, where Hannah has the best care for her developmental disorders.

Weis said he was looking forward to the challenge of turning KU into a winner. He even joked that he was hoping to retire at KU so that the Jayhawks could hire a cheaper Charlie Weis (his son).

Charlie Jr. will transfer to KU from Florida.

Charlie Sr. promised that KU's conditioning program would be ramped up starting in January.

"It's not going to pleasant around here in the springtime," Weis said.

No specific timeline was given for competing the staff, but both Zenger and Weis indicated it would be completed quickly.

"That's totally up to Coach," Zenger said. "I'm now back to being an AD."

Weis said that KU running backs coach Reggie Mitchell would be retained and that he had already begun the process of assembling the rest of his staff.

The new coach said he would talk to all of KU's current assistant coaches during the process.

Weis indicated that coaching fit would be important.

"I could give you a conga line of some of the best coaches that want in here," he said.

Comments

texashawk10 8 years, 3 months ago

I think he has a faux hawk for the press conference.

JayHok 8 years, 3 months ago

Crist for Weisman.

Are you aware Weis, 36 hours from leaving Gainsville, has a five star recruit/transfer visiting this weekend? Even better, the recruit is a 6'4" pro style quarterback---#1 QB in his class nationally---- that's already played with Weis for two years.

When was the last time Kansas had a five star anything? Ever?

And you're talking about his hair?

Kendall Von Bevern 8 years, 3 months ago

He was the #3 ranked qb behind Pryor and Gabbert

JayHok 8 years, 3 months ago

Thanks cobbob. Someone also recently posted the ku rivals site where he was #2 QB nationally. Glad Weis is bringing him to town!

hawk316 8 years, 3 months ago

Totally agree! Very smart move by the new head coach.

DevilHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

+1.

It was great reading that.

As with others, I still wonder if he'll keep Beaty.

texashawk10 8 years, 3 months ago

Beaty's a good recruiter, but how about bringing in a receiving coach who can teach the WR's how to catch the ball because the KU receivers catching abilities are less than sub par.

Ashtin Meerpohl 8 years, 3 months ago

Are you being serious right now? Beaty was the WR coach under Mangino. He coached the 2 best WRs KU has ever seen here. Remember the names Kerry Meier & Dezmon Briscoe? Last time I checked they caught the ball ok.

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

Admitted he has learned from his mistakes at ND on his first go around.

That's a good sign for KU, it's players, and it's fans.

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

Already got an on-line ad for next years season tickets.

When opportunity knocks.....

Kevin Randell 8 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm...sounds like we might have a certain QB on campus tomorrow.

Benjamin Simon 8 years, 3 months ago

not sure if it was noted on here already, but the kc star reported that crist will be on campus all weekend. good sign!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Many places reported Crist's visit to KU this weekend. Chicago Trib was the first I saw...

I actually think it's the best fit for Crist, and I say that objectively (or as objective as the homer in me can). (1) Guaranteed he would be a starter; already in D1 shape, lots of experience, would be leaps and bounds beyond what we have on the roster, talent-wise. And (2) he obviously has a connection with Weis and knows the system Charlie wants to run.

It really seems like the logical choice for Crist, and with the stable of backs we have, I would have to think a solid QB like that would probably add at least a couple of victories on its own next year. Mix in a defensive coordinator who knows what he's doing and maybe... just maybe... we could be bowling next year.....

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

You know he's going to have to sit out next year because of transfer rules, right?

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 3 months ago

Nope, he doesn't have to because he's graduating this year. He'll enroll for post-grad stuff here and be good to go next year.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

Just read that online too! Holy Crap! Awesomesauce!

Cora Smith 8 years, 3 months ago

No, he is graduating from ND and is immediately eligible to play wherever he wishes.

Hammertoe 8 years, 3 months ago

Love the K-State locker room bulletin board comments....

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

What bulletin board comments? All I see is people talking about liking the hire.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

He wont get the old weight staff back. They are at K-State as you probably know.

I missed most of this hopefully there were some good questions.

fancy80 8 years, 3 months ago

We can and should make a run at Chris Dawson. That was, at the very least 50%of our problems. If we can't get him, then we move to plan B, but we still have to try...no guts, no glory, right? I'm on board and will support Coach until he proves unworthy of our support. RCJH!!!! Great hire SZ...good job!

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

If Snyder wanted him, you know he is good. If he comes back he might bring some insight with him. I am with you on this much.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 3 months ago

+1 I also liked the part where he told the team to enjoy the holiday break cause when you get back It won't be pleasant. Sounds like he is going to really change the mindset of the team.

Alex Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow, I really like Zenger's answer on why he didn't talk much during this process. "It wasn't about me, it was about protecting these coaches." With that attitude I think more coaches across the sports will be willing to talk to him.

Also, I think Weis is going to bring in a great staff and some surprisingly good recruits.

Frank A Janzen 8 years, 3 months ago

What's the contract worth? How much will he be getting? For how long?

hawk316 8 years, 3 months ago

This guy has officially won me over. Zenger may have hit a home run on this hire.

JHawk06 8 years, 3 months ago

+1 I completely agree. Wasn't totally sold at first, but count me in!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Everyone else will follow suit when he starts winning games. And he absolutely will win some games.

FLJHK 8 years, 3 months ago

Zenger came off very well - classy guy.

KGphoto 8 years, 3 months ago

Uhh, because that was the last question.

Vernon Riggs 8 years, 3 months ago

This is a good time to be a Jayhawks fan. Can't we all get along?

fancy80 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to see you back on the wagon. You've kind of been a little jerkish, but love the passion. I will support our coach until he is not Our coach. After that, he's on his own. Eff the PAC, if we get our ship straight in fb, with our bb program, we could be looking at big 10G. RCJH!!!

Thomas Matlock 8 years, 3 months ago

I am impressed. Coach Weis seems to have his priorities in the right order. I hope the parents of the young men considering KU have a chance to hear that. I would love to see some top rated recruits on the field in a Kansas uniform.

middleoftheroader 8 years, 3 months ago

I see 5 wins... possibly a 6th... next season. For over/under purposes I'll say 5, reply with Over or reply with Under.. your choice.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

If we land Crist and a really good D-Coordinator, then I say just over at 6 (outside shot at 7 depending on how the conference looks next year).

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

I take back my earlier comment. Since Crist is graduating this year with eligibility left he won't have to sit out a year... Holy Crap!

Andrew Washington 8 years, 3 months ago

If Crist decides to transfer to KU-will he be the first 5 star player that we've ever had on the football team?

jay381 8 years, 3 months ago

I do not know but he will be the highest rated QB we have had since the 1970's with David Jaynes I can remember.

ejlumus 8 years, 3 months ago

John Hadl ... although he was recruited as a HB first then played QB

JayHok 8 years, 3 months ago

Where do we find out about recruiting inside information?

Are there any really fast, really tall, really soft handed five-star Jerry Rice-type receivers still on the table for next year Weis can sign?

How about five star linemen?

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow that first name is something else hahaha.

Coach-Matt Koelling 8 years, 3 months ago

Enjoy your Christmas break because when you come back it's not going to be pleasant!!! Now that's what I call FOOTBALL!

aviebs51 8 years, 3 months ago

I must say I was skeptical at first of the hire...but after watching him the best way to describe is fluid. At gills press conference he seemed nervous, like maybe he was in over his head. Weis didn't seem that way. He is very polished.

My favorite question was about the dc. He said he needed a dc with energy and excitement. I couldn't agree more...how many times did you see last years dc jumping up and chest bumping guys. Our whole staff was to passive. He's a coach who has seen the big lights and it doesn't intimidate him like it did gill. I also like what he said about getting after the qb. We need to put the other qb under more pressure. There are blitzes that can be drawn up. The only blitzes we saw were a and b gap blitzes. Having played college football those are the easiest ones to pick up.

Great day to be a KU fan...than again every day is! Rock Chalk....."can't wait!"

irvan moore 8 years, 3 months ago

i saw the presser as a winner, home run for cw, sounded like a guy with a success oriented attitude who will hire the right guys to get it done

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

And ATL and Ahperse lived happily ever after...

The End

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

Like I said Ahperse, I'm still cautiously optimistic and skeptical. How do you like that? You made me this way! Look upon your creation and weep! Ahhhhhhhhh! I hate myself that I cannot share in your joy!!!!!!!!!!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Does that mean you will be giving Zenger his due credit??

Oh, Lawdy... 2012 is the end of the world......

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

Kind of, but I think the whole thing reeks of the consulting firm. Keeping quiet, finding a big name, going to espn first with news of the hire. All higher level thinking that I'm not sure sheahoRn (dang it, I'll try to stop) is capable of.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Ha! Even your back-handed compliments seem to be much more of a kick in the nuts.... :-)

The guy had a job of hiring a coach, and he did it in the most respectful fashion to those he was interviewing. Whether or not he had help is really quite irrelevant. Just get it done, is the point. He, very successfully, did the job he was supposed to do and hit a homerun with the hire.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

I know you did not like Gill. Please explain why this is a good hire?

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

"Honey, some guy that coached Tom Brady is on the phone and would like to talk to you" said the mother of the 5 star quarterback recruit to her son.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, but I always thought that call went "Shhh Its the Coach of Notre Dame."

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 3 months ago

Coaching Tom Brady means that he knows Giselle Bundchen!

jay381 8 years, 3 months ago

One word = CLASS

The guy came over as just class. I loved the lack of problems with his athletes, his graduation rate etc. Granted that was ND however, it speaks volumes as to the type of athlete he will recruit. His comment he already has seen the tape and athletic skills, he wants to talk to the janitor or the cop to find out about the kid speaks volumes.

Frankly I was more impressed after the press conference that I was before.

jdwebermd 8 years, 3 months ago

Don't be too impressed just because he talks a good game. From what I have heard, he was a disaster @ ND because of his ego. I fear: 1) He will end up alienating many people, including recruits. 2) If he has success, he will jump to a better opportunity after 1-2 years. 3) If he is a disaster, KU will be buying him out to the tune of $5-7.5 million I hope he proves me wrong.

droppinplates 8 years, 3 months ago

STFU. I'm sick of you so called football fans that spew nothing but negativity.

Vernon Riggs 8 years, 3 months ago

After you bump your head on the doorway in front of a lot of people, the smart man remember to duck the next time.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

All day long I kept trying to keep myself from thinking about this possibility because it's too damn exciting. It would literally be like getting that bike for Christmas you wanted when you were a kid.

Also....add Grundhard (sp) as offensive line coach. Homerun becomes a grand slam.

Andrew Washington 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm impressed..it seems like he knows exactly what to do and that he's learned from his past mistakes..the best thing is that he still has a passion for football and plans for Ku to be the place he retires from. I see good things from Weis. It helps that he has experience from "big" programs also.

Alex Parker 8 years, 3 months ago

We'll have the videos online this evening.

Kevin Long 8 years, 3 months ago

I missed it too! All these comments make me very angry I missed it! How can we see it again?????

JamesA 8 years, 3 months ago

I am right with you, klong. I cannot find a video or script of the press conference anywhere.

blahblahblah 8 years, 3 months ago

Metro sports has replays tonight. Watched it live on that.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

They will play the whole thing or just the typical 3-second soundbite?

alfie 8 years, 3 months ago

It will replay fri nite on Metro Sports

nwhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Let's not get our hopes up too high on Crist coming to KU. He wants to make a big splash in his last year, and showcase his skill set for the NFL. I'm not sure KU is the best place to do that, despite his friendship with Weis and his familiarity with Weis' system. If he wants to show himself off, he's gonna need some people that can protect him and some people that can catch the ball.

I'd love to have him, but you gotta think there are some programs better able to provide what he's going to be looking for.

AirCapJay 8 years, 3 months ago

I doubt Crist could go anywhere else (better) and be assured the starting position. Coach Weis will use him as a starter and make sure he is show cased and get credit for turning KU football around.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Weis is going to attract a bit of attention on his own for his first year. And if we start winning some football games and Crist was at the helm.....

Being a part of turning a program around will ABSOLUTELY get him some scout attention. It would show him as a leader and a winner. An chance like this might actually be his BEST shot at getting drafted with only 1 year of eligibility left. To steal a line from Weis... this is a unique opportunity for Crist....

KU_cynic 8 years, 3 months ago

Let me get this straight: Weis's wife and disabled daughter will continue to live in Florida, and he'll commute back and forth at KU's expense. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, and not just in terms of Weis's health which is likely to deteriorate if he lives alone and eats out a lot.

KU needs someone who will live and work in Lawrence and be totally committed -- and have some skin in the game in terms of future career concerns.

My vibe from the news conference is very, very negative.

milehighhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Your online handle might lend the impression that you have very, very negative "vibes" about many things regarding KU.

Lighten up, Francis.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Didn't Ol' Roy's wife Wanda live in NC for quite a while while Roy was in Lawrence ?

Kenny Terry 8 years, 3 months ago

The article plainly states that his wife and daughter get to fly privately to Lawerence whenever they want to. It did not say he would be flying back and forth

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

1) Clearly you have no idea what it's like to have a child with a disability, and how hard it is to find the right school, along with the need to keep some stability in her life.

2) Weis is making around 2.5 mil a year along with the money that ND is STILL paying him... I don't think KU is flying his family around... (well, I suppose you could say they are, but the money is funneling through Weis' bank account first)

3) Do you really think it would be smart idea for Weis' career to NOT be "fully committed"??

Silly, silly post.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't think he is saying that. The cynic is pointing out a concern of mine that any man that wants to build a "family atmosphere" (he said something about coach is like a parent or some such) and then leaves half his family in Florida is not modelling being a good father by any means. I agree. Almost bizarre to talk about how Florida is good for his daughter and then he talks about taking this job. Where is the logical extension? Neither Cynic nor I am down-playing the importance of the school, we are up-playing the importance of a dad. Translation: Why in the World are you abandoning your daughter? And its not like he needs the money. Good grief.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

That's actually not at all what his comment said. He spoke nothing about the "family atmosphere" or anything about "abandoning [his] daughter." He said KU needs someone "fully committed." Not at all what you are saying.

Just state your own opinions, not try to incorrectly rephrase others. I understand your objections. They are not his, however.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

You are correct. I read too much into what he was saying. The relevant part I thought was "This sounds like a recipe for disaster, and not just in terms of Weis's health ..." It seems like he was saying this was not going to be good for Weis' family.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

So leaving for a high paying job and keeping your daughter there because she is happy is being a bad father? Dads all the time leave their family for a brief time because of their kids school.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

The cynic raises a valid point. I was thinking the same thing regarding Weis' family. Weis sure does a lot of job hopping for a wealthy man whose priority is his special needs family. Kind of weird, or maybe disingenuous.

He's got health issues that require ongoing attention. And I'm skeptical about any NFL man's desire and ability to recruit fickle high school kids.

Having said all that, I still think Weis is one of the most knowledgeable hires we could have made, given the circumstances. With Weis our FB program will definitely be covered by the national media.

Now regardless of how it turns out, I'll point back to this post and say, "told you so". That's where I'm at right now. A little surprised and puzzled by this hire. Maybe I don't get it. Now I'll read some more posts in the hope of becoming more enthused.

Casey Gee 8 years, 3 months ago

KU sports dot com, please post a replay or at least a good clip. I was unable to watch and I'd really like to hear what he has to say.

nnelson 8 years, 3 months ago

We will have video up of the entire press conference by the end of the night.

Nick Nelson KUSports.com

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

"I think I would have been foolish to not come on board (at KU)," Weis said.

They left out the part where he said " If they paid the last guy 2 million per win, Lord only knows how much dough I can rake in here."

Not hating - just having fun boys & girls.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

It works out to $2M per win, or $5M per season for Gill. Yeah, I can see why he said that. I still think he just came back to KC for the ribs. (He's while so I can say that.)

bradh 8 years, 3 months ago

I enjoyed the press conference, even the little zingers from the press about Weiss already talking more than he did in his year with the Chiefs. Time will tell, but it looks like a good hire to me.

Brandon Snook 8 years, 3 months ago

I learned a lot more about our new HCCW while watching his intro press conference, and it's all for the better. He's frank and no-nonsense. He'll be strict, but I bet he'll let his players talk to women. His family story is amazing and I hope the Weis family will eventually all live in Lawrence and be happy as can be (it's a wonderful place). I'm sure we can find some beautiful land for Charlie's wife and her horses!

Rock_Chalk_MN 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow! I know I'm repeating other posters, but what a great first step. True, the press conference is the easy part, but at the same time it's certainly a step up from what we've had recently. I really wanted Gill to succeed and I wish him the best, but I'm absolutely convinced that this is an upgrade. I really hope it's for the long-term and KU can finally build itself into a year-in, year-out program. Rock Chalk HCCW!

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Serious question. I noticed he walked in with a cane, is there a reason we know of?

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

nvm, hip replacement. Little young for that right?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Uh... two knee surgeries and a hip replacement surgery coming in the next few weeks.... might have something to do with it....

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

yea just heard that. Brutal, for a guy who is what 55?

railer20 8 years, 3 months ago

All stems from getting wiped out on the sifeline coaching at ND...he has the hips fixed but now his hip is bone on bone

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Makes me cringe. I think I kinda remember it happening.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, railer is right, it was from the hit he took. Although, I'm guessing the weight isn't great for the hip either.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

The cane certainly does not help to portray an image of a youthful, vigorous, and, conquering Caesar leading troops into a 3 hour, winner take all, gridiron battle. Mangino didn't either, though.

Now I'll hear the wrath of all you people "challenged" by this or that affliction. All I can say is that I'm as blue a voter as you'll find, but I calls zem as I sees zem, especially regarding sports.

By the way, there are two basic reasons why I am an avid sports spectator. First, sports is one of the few remaining human pursuits in which the most worthy contestant is often awarded the prize. Secondly, most athletic competitors, in the end, experience failure (only one NCAA BB champ, etc.) . It's interesting to see how athletes and fans handle that. Outside of sports, most people face the same dilemma.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

O and on a side note. Luke Fickell as our DC? (or is he an offensive guy?)

jhawk2325 8 years, 3 months ago

Wait, you saw him coach at ND? I'm glad we have an informant with some inside information.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

There's also a rumor that he coached in four super bowls. If only we could find a way to confirm this information!

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

I have not been laughing at all. I have been pissed. His wife is going to stay in Florida? He talks about how well his daughter is doing now down there and so he uses that to justify this decision? Weird. The down home talk does not work for me, either. I find it manipulative, meant to be disarming and the only reason to do that is so you can rob the bank. Something tells me this was not a cheap hire either.

JHawk74 8 years, 3 months ago

It could be for a short time that his wife and daughter stay in Florida probably until the end of the school year. They probably want to find a house and a new school (private school) that his daughter can transfer to. It's great that his son will transfer to KU. That shows good family support.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 3 months ago

I cannot figure out why a family man who does not need the money and who stated that he has seen some real progress with his daughter since she was going to this school, that he would then move her. It also makes no sense if he is a family man making a mere 800k a year to commute to Kansas. I question the man's authenticity, not to mention his ability to chose priorities.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

njhawk's concern about Weis' performance at ND is right on. Usually the best indicator of how well a 55 year old man will do at his new job is his performance level at his previous job, especially if his duties are similar.

We haven't had any positive KU football news for a while now. So it's tempting to break out into song when a well known name agrees to join our campaign. I'm hopeful and supportive, but very uncertain about the outcome of today's hire.

ja3hawk 8 years, 3 months ago

After the news conference I could hear Keitsman sounding like a kstate homer.... "doh doh... I don't think this is going very well.... doh doh. I hate Keitsman.

riverdrifter 8 years, 3 months ago

His show today was one long diss of this hire. That's a good sign for Jayhawk nation.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Interesting when Webber (sp) came on. Keitzman says Webber knows more about football than anyone in broadcasting......Webber actually liked the hire. Keitzman kept stumbling because he was simultaneously crapping his pants.

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 3 months ago

Even though he's a K-Stater, Webber is 100% class.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

When Bill Snyder retires, KU football will probably surge. A long-held maxim in the State of Kansas is that Kansas is only big enough to supply FB talent for one big- time NCAA program. If you look at the history of KU and KSU football, that's what it does seem to reveal.

The State of Iowa is similar to Kansas, in population and in several other respects. Football results for ISU and Univ of Iowa face the same challenge.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

ahperse talking positively.... dogs and cats living together... it'll be anarchy!!

Eric Williams 8 years, 3 months ago

"I opened the back door and the kitty cat came running in. I said what are you doing little kitty, but he's going back-and-forth, and meowing. I brought some players in and showed them the kitty. We need more dogs."

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

Charles in Charge. Weis is Nice. Charlie and the Rock Chalkolate Factory. Rock Chuck Jayhawk. Any others?

milehighhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

More of an observation, but: Gill ends with an L, Weis begins with a W

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Where is Larry Sinks with a funny-ass t-shirt when we need him?!!!

Bob Forer 8 years, 3 months ago

I am genuinely amazed, and happily so, with all the positive comments here in light of the many negative and lukewarm opinions posted yesterday on ljw.com and kusports.com. We need to remember this is Kansas Football, an historically mediocre program that never has had a chance to attract the very best players and coaches. Boys and girls, this ain't the "Price is Right" where you simply call their name and they "come on down." I am sure many of you have your sights on "better" head coaches. Well, I have news for you. Those coaches didn't want us. Charlie Weis does, and we should feel pretty damn fortunate that he took us up on the offer.

No, he is not the prophetic savior that will bring us a national championship or even a top ten finish. But after what we have been through with the Mangino/Perkins debacle and its aftermath, it certainly is a giant step forward.

Welcome aboard, Coach. It's good to have you as a fellow Jayhawk. I am sure you will do your best to lead us out of the hole we have dug for ourselves.

lurkerhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

+1 this guy knows what he's talking about

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I was one.....now I'm a clone. Loved the conference. Love the hire. Ready to buy my "Weisman" t-shirt.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

Very rational and pragmatic way of looking at the situation If forced to choose a side in this debate, I'll go with you.

Lanny Welch 8 years, 3 months ago

Excited for a new era of KU football. Welcome aboard Coach Weis!!

Roger Tobias 8 years, 3 months ago

I think cynic has valid points. He left the Chiefs for "family" issues? How healthy is this separation for him and his family? I understand the special needs matter with his daughter, but I also fear that a couple of years of 5 and 6 win seasons will lead him to want to head back south. How much was he making at ND, and they are still paying? How much did he get paid last year? How much is Gill getting as his golden parachute? Why do we not construct contracts with results incentives: $1.5 million to start, increase by 0.5 million for every season where we are .500 or better? And if he is fired after 2 seasons, we have a 7.5 million buyout? Face it, the head football coaching position at KU is a black hole. "Anybody can have a bad century." While KU football has no place to go but up, Coach Weis' situation is not that dire, and if his experience resembles that of every other head coach here in the past 30 years except Mangino, it will probably mark the end of head coaching possibilities for him.

Bob Forer 8 years, 3 months ago

The "family issues" regarding his departure from the Chiefs centered around the "Chiefs family,." Weis couldn't stand Todd Haley, the Chiefs Head Coach.

danmoore 8 years, 3 months ago

Can't believe people abided by my 24 hour grace period on negative posts.

Welcome Coach Weis!

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 3 months ago

The good: Come January 15th, it's not going to be pleasant for these guys!

The bad: "My family comes first ...as long as they stay in Florida!" Um ...'scuse me?

I'm guessing the family comments were b.s. coach speak. Any coach worth his salt is a work-aholic who puts football first and family second. Sounds cruel but it's totally true.

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 3 months ago

One more thing: Allen Fieldhouse needs to "blow up" when Dayne Crist is shown on the video board during the Ohio State game.

Photo here: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Dayne-Crist-45236

DevilHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

The Rivals 250 includes:

• A **** pro-style QB from McPherson, KS currently committed to TCU (maybe someone can clue me in as to why he only had offers from TCU and K-State)

• The No. 1 recruit in the class - a WR from Springfield, MO

• A **** WR from St. Louis currently committed to Oklahoma

• A **** OL from Lee's Summit, MO

• A **** DT from KC, MO currently committed to Michigan

It seems to me that KU should try to get back in touch with these players and try to convince them to come to KU...with a much better sales pitch this time.

Think about it: a top-rated QB who can redshirt behind Crist, two top-rated receivers, an o-lineman, and a DT. We would be stacked at running back and wide receiver, and in very good shape at QB.

It's not going to happen, but it seems far more likely with Weis than with Gill.

Cal Bender 8 years, 3 months ago

Dear God, please don't let him rehire Chuck Long as the Offensive Coordinator!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

First of all, funny. Well played.

Second, he said in the press conference that he would be running the offense until he got the right person trained, and when he felt like it was smooth enough to hand over, he would.

I am 100,000% fine with him running the offense....

DevilHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like he's considering keeping Beaty.

Remember: Beaty was the OC for one year at Rice and was a co-OC this year.

phi4life940 8 years, 3 months ago

+100000000

Nice guy, but I'm sick of the run, run, pass.

I haven't been this excited about KU Football in a loooooon time!

ROCK CHALK!!!!

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey it is Run, run, pass, punt...get it right!!

FLJHK 8 years, 3 months ago

It's a high-risk, high-reward signing. I credit Zenger for having the gonads to pull it off, and give him great credit for the process he utilized.

I give Weis great credit for his family concerns, but the split living arrangement is something of a problem. I understand the Florida appeal; I live in Florida too, and I no longer like cold weather. But Lawrence is a very special place and quality of life factors are huge. Too, there is a great community for special needs kids. I'll hope he discovers them, and his daughter can find comfort in Lawrence.

I think he's stimulated by the challenge, and won't leave until he has accomplished some tangible things. If he did find great success at KU, I could certainly see him leaving for an opportunity in Florida. But by then KU should be in much better shape than we are now.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 3 months ago

Who here has "Get in my belly!" stuck in their head when they saw that press conference photo?

Hide your kids, Chuck is in town and livin' large.

droppinplates 8 years, 3 months ago

Way to be a dick. The fat jokse with Mangino got old and now KU football fans are already at it. WTF? Show some respect, he's the coach of the team we support. Unless you are not a fan, then you can GTFO!

RocktoRock 8 years, 3 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRO0dk... This is a great video about Dayne Crist. It isn't highlights but you learn a lot about him. Sums up everything posted about him plus possibly moving on to the next level.

milehighhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Very cool - thanks for posting! (Although he will have to beat out Jordan Webb for the job...)

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

It would be nice to get Crist because I want a quarterback who can kick Colin Klein's butt!

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey now, you gotta respect Collin Klein. Kid's pretty classy and talented. Is he an NFL QB? Nope. But neither is Tim Tebow (not that I'm comparing Klein to Tebow).

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Is Crist our Cam Newton? No. But it will be interesting if he chooses KU.

cardinco 8 years, 3 months ago

He made a point to mention his son wanting to be a coach. I bet he joins the staff after he graduates and the elder Weis starts grooming him for the future. Great opportunity for Weis to create a legacy. Hopefully he is around long enough to do that.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

I'll be in the no way in heck Crist comes here. But the fact that he even came to vist says something.

miseryh8r 8 years, 3 months ago

I have it on decent authority that its almost a guarantee Crist will transfer to KU. It looked like Wisconsin for him all the way until yesterday and he will basically be guaranteed the starter role in his final tune-up for the pro draft running a pro offense (style wise, not really talent wise). And when AFH lets him hear the roar, the pen just as well be put to the paper. Clear #10 on the roster and get the last names back on the jerseys with Crist at the healm.....

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

inteldesign appears to be this coach's hater, like ahperse was for Gill, except ahperse had correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.

miseryh8r 8 years, 3 months ago

I usually logged on to see what ahperse said....i didn't like what he said but it seemed to have "it". inteldesign is a douche....i've read every post he's made on here and i just hate the guy. Go somewhere else tool.....there's only room for a few quality haters and ahperse and maginor00lz have that on lockdown

miseryh8r 8 years, 3 months ago

gotta give credit where credit is due. between you and manginorh00lz, both the conference realignment and coaching change were never dull. You talk good smack and have the facts to back it up......

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully Weis gets this turned around and conference realignment will no longer be a concern because we are winning. Then we can get of this message board and use the Internet for what it was intended...PORN

michael anway 8 years, 3 months ago

OMG. This is KU football and we were 2 - 10. We are very fortunate to get a nationally known and respected coach who has not had a losing season in how long? Think of the list of duds that have preceeded him and you will feel a lot better. I really can't wait to hear the names of the staff that will be assembled in the next two weeks.

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm already tired of the fat jokes. C'mon everybody, show some class. Okay, maybe he and Mangino are large and you're not. Quit acting so superior and support your coach because their success leads to your feelings of smugness and superiority.

You're so proud of your University and your football team, but drag the head coaches through the mud like they're untouchables because they're overweight. Grow up, dudes. Most of the country is overweight these days. I hope I never see another "My coach can eat your coach" t-shirt again. Making fun of your own coach?!? Does anybody have a shirt that makes fun of Bill Self's toupee? Anybody? Why not? Show some respect. Please!?!

rwhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Why isn't this kid turning pro instead?

Coach-Matt Koelling 8 years, 3 months ago

He fell to 3rd-String at ND under Coach Kelly and still has another year of eligibility

Gregor Southard 8 years, 3 months ago

"It's not going to be pleasant around here come springtime." I just went from on the fence to all in.

86finalfour 8 years, 3 months ago

OK, I was near giddy with this hire from the onset. I still am really but did anyone else notice the whole press conference was about Charlie Weis. I mean, he didn't really mention anything about the university, its pride, beauty, great tradition, campus, vibe, etc...... it was all about charlie.

It's certainly entertaining and refreshing for a mediocre program but I'm starting to remember those who said Weis was all ego.....

I mean does Charlie even know that gale sayers played for KU?? Does he know anything about the place...he didn't even say Jayhawk once, right?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk (someone needs to teach him this asap).

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 3 months ago

Holy crap, my response had all caps! Wow, miracles DO happen!!!

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 3 months ago

The press conference was a refreshing change of pace.

Brennan Keller 8 years, 3 months ago

I absolutely love this hire! How long Weis is here is a mystery, but I do know this, he brings the talent and skills to rebuild this program. If Weis is able to win 7-8 games a season at KU I think his coaching tenure at Kansas would be considered a major success. I'm looking forward to bringing in some quality recruits and coordinators! Keeping Reggie Mitchell @ KU is an absolute plus!

One thing that does concern me is his health... Does anybody know if he is always going to have that cane with him? He's only 55 lets hope not!

DevilHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anybody know if he is always going to have that cane with him?

Hip problems can be very difficult to fully correct / heal from. Depending on his specific circumstances, it's a definite possibility that he will need to have a cane with him for the rest of his life. He might not need to use a cane, but having one available might be considered to be in his interest.

texashawk10 8 years, 3 months ago

He said he was going to have hip replacement surgery during the dead period where he's not allowed to contact recruits and can't really do anything with the team and he said that was the final step in recovering from that collision at Notre Dame.

DevilHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I forgot the quotation marks. The question was posed by liljayhawker15.

Brandon Pope 8 years, 3 months ago

I know SZ said the name recognition of HCCW was just "icing on the cake" but that has proven to be some rich icing already. I have seen segments featuring KU on Around the Horn, PTI, and SportsCenter twice in the last 48 hours.

It's a nice change considering we haven't been on ESPN except for jokes even once in the past two years. Air time doesn't = wins, but it is hard to deny its nice to gain overnight relevance.

Brandon Pope 8 years, 3 months ago

Coach-Matt Koelling 8 years, 3 months ago

Saw via Twitter Coach Weis has offered several top prospects tonight including the #1 Pro-Style QB in the nation, Gunner Kiel. http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-Gunner-Kiel-102803

If we land Crist and a great freshman QB (Matthews, Kiel) this year then we'll be set. Wishful thinking.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Its good that they already went out and dreamed big. Its like Weis came in and said "Reggie, Idc how they are ranked, you offer and Ill do the convincing."

Josh Galler 8 years, 3 months ago

The separate of family brothers me as I do too have a son with Special needs, a non-verbal 5 year old with Autism, and I would might do the same thing if my son does well at one school, and I have an opportunity for a better job to better my family but I would only do that if I do not have the means currently.

However, in my family, KU has a very good program for kids of Autism.

Andrew Bary 8 years, 3 months ago

Someone needs to tell him about the ozark center for Autism. A couple hours south of Lawrence, and a fantastic facility for his daughter to attend. I have several family and friends associated with the school...maybe it's worth a look for the sake of convenience and longevity for this coach!

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

KU is one of the premiere research centers for autism....I was actually surprised that it wasn't mentioned.

tical523 8 years, 3 months ago

JUST CURIOUS. . . why is nobody talking about Weis doing wonders for Brock Berglund?

HawkRealist 8 years, 3 months ago

This is a great hire! Look, the reality is the Weisman was brought in to put KU on the national radar not retire here. Charlie's time here will be short IMO, but this was a strategic move to open the door for future big time coaches and recruits to look at our program seriously. The dude brings instant credibility and name recognition to Kansas football which is what we need for future stability. There isn't a negative about this hire, face the reality it's Kansas football we couldn't of made a better hire at this stage in the program. To start his tenure off, he will get 5 star QB Cryst to commit this weekend and this WR Dieder (who set the national receiving record 447yds in a game) he offered minutes after signing on as HC to come in and make an instant impact. Kansas does not get 5 star recruits, but Weis will get one the 3rd day on the job? Come on! Why are we worrying about how long he stays, or where his family is? He's here to sow a seed for national relevance of Kansas football, period.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I mostly draw the same conclusions. If Weis can get us consistently playing .500 ball by his second year and then suddenly 8 or 9 wins by his 5th year (his final year at KU-he will job hop), then it will have been a great hire. Especially given the dire straits we're now in.

So long as we have to play all 9 league members every year, .500 ball ain't bad. In fact, given KU's FB history, it would be satisfying.

blackhawkjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

you do understand how it is imperative to want kick someones a$$ in football, right? Jeez....it's no wonder ku is not a football school

Jack McEnaney 8 years, 3 months ago

Let's say you were a college football coach. You spend hundreds of hours every month at work to succeed. It is driven by your ego and competitive edge. Which gives you a greater feeling of satisfaction. I turned a 2 win team into an 8 win team, or I gave LSU, ohio state, nd, florida, alabama, texas, etc another natnl championship? I would rather become a legend. Nobody would give a crap what he did at nd if he won multiple championships with ku. What better gift can a coach father give his aspiring coach son than a last name that lives forever like bryant, lombardi, etc. Weis has won the super bowl. Three times. He has coached game winning drives that will live on forever. Do u think he gives an eff that we have to play texas and oklahoma? Eff that. Go win the game. Do you think a super bowl winner hopes he can make a bowl game? The thinking at ku is about to change.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 3 months ago

My favorite line was that he was going to get them in and start working them and that the spring wasn't going to be pleasant. I wonder if he will do a survey to share how much they have in common with each other.

I remember that he had bowl games in 3 of 5 years, but I remember the last year, the team refused to accept a bowl game because their coach wasn't there...silly.

I think it is interesting that people say he won't get along with the big time Boosters. I think it is important that everyone in ND thinks they are a big time booster. I think he'll fit in nicely.

I remember how everyone said that Gill could recruit...it appears that in a 24 hour period, HCCW might land more 5 star recruits than Gill did in 3 recruiting classes and more 4 star recruits than TG would have landed this year.

I think he is an X and O coach in the offensive side. My real hope he is able to find a stellar defensive coach. If he gets this, I see a sharp increase in our abilities. Gill gave away two games this year...Weis won't. Gill will have 3 winnable non-conference games. I think it sets up nice for a 4-6 game win season next year.

I am so pumped about this hire. I sometimes wonder if UNC is wondering if they should have gone after Weis or Fedora. I wonder if TAM wishes they could have had Weis. Washington State is happy with who they got, but I betcha Weis would have been one of their next selections.

You know another thing that I'm going to be happy about...watching Weis cuss on the sidelines. I don't care what others say, but this is a huge hire.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!!

irvan moore 8 years, 3 months ago

we just got us a real football coach, gonna make the players tough, gonna yell like it's 1962, gonna put some pride in the program. glad to have you here charlie