Originally published November 9, 2011 at 06:55p.m., updated November 10, 2011 at 12:45a.m.

KU running back, Brandon Bourbon, out for the season with leg injury

Kansas running back Brandon Bourbon celebrates his touchdown against Texas Tech during the first quarter on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

Kansas University football coach Turner Gill said after Wednesday’s practice that red-shirt freshman running back Brandon Bourbon would miss the rest of the season because of a leg injury.

Gill said Bourbon, who rushed for 25 yards on back-to-back carries in last week’s loss at Iowa State, suffered the injury against the Cyclones. Team doctors determined this week that the best thing for Bourbon would be to shut it down for the season and look toward next year.

“He’s disappointed,” Gill said. “I’ve been on that side of it, but we all have to look out for what’s best for him.”

In eight games this season, Bourbon gained 190 yards on 28 carries and scored one touchdown, a 51-yard run against Texas Tech.

The yardage totals rank him fourth on the team, which, thanks to the presence of James Sims, Darrian Miller and Tony Pierson, should be able to handle the loss of a running back. Still, Bourbon’s backfield mates said they’d miss having him available.

“We gotta work with what we have,” said Miller, a freshman who ranks second on the team with 396 yards and four TDs in 101 carries. “But at the same time, it does take a piece away from the puzzle, and it’s going to be hard playing without him.”

After red-shirting in 2010, Bourbon, 6-foot-1, 208 pounds, from Potosi, Mo., missed most of spring drills this season because of injury.

Comments

jayhawkarmy 3 years ago

I agree. He is just tired of getting embarrassed every weekend. Good luck with what ever you choose to do!

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years ago

If he decided to transfer, it would be the dumbest decision he's ever made. Even dumber than deciding to play for Gill. Where's he gonna go? Emporia State? Washburn?

kesmithstl1 3 years ago

we hardly knew ye! But, more so than we did Mr. Berglund!

jayhawkinATL 3 years ago

Yep, bet he wished he would have stuck with the Stanford commitment.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

Just part of Gill's master plan to win championships.

DXJhawk 3 years ago

Great running back, but seems fairly injury-prone.

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

Get well Brandon! Maybe our new coaching staff will actually know how to call plays that use each backs abilities! Maybe we won't run out of the wildcat for 2.2 yards per carry every time!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

^ My man knows about smelling formaldehyde in anatomy lab with a hangover! But please tell me what went on with all the dogs in the pharmacy building? Creepy!

Geekinout 3 years ago

Get well soon! Sorry to hear... He should have been a fullback in a flex or wishbone offense, especially considering the depth and talent of the running backs.

Instead, Chuck Longs predictable offense: Wildcat (Mathews/Lewis) on 1st and 10. Draw sweep (Sims/Miller) on 2nd and 12. Wide-receiver screen (Pick/Beshears) on 3rd and 15. Then of course Punt on 4th and 15. Sound familiar?

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

Long did well at OU but I think I could coach at OU and not screw that up. His play calling is horrible! Imagine how much Big12 coaches laugh about his predictability when we as fans can see it! TG, CL, and VS all need to go together and we need to start over once again! I sure hope SZ is ready cause he has got some work ahead of him!

JhawkalumJB 3 years ago

Geekinout, your summary of the play calling made me literally laugh out loud! Nice one man! Yes, it sounds painfully familiar! Its so frustrating when you can see it coming and you know that because you know it, that means the opposing defense knows it as well..

Run a fake punt on 1st and 10!! We might get more out of it!! At least it won't be painfully predictable!

SOMETHING, ANYTHING, PLEASE JUST DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

JhawkalumJB 3 years ago

The situation at PSU makes another miserable season at KU seem so much more tolerable. I'd rather be 0-12 then have a situation like the PSU one at KU any and everyday of the week.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

We had our own issues last year.

danmoore 3 years ago

Agree with JhawkalumJB.

Our situation pales in comparison. I would be surprised if PSU gets the death penalty but they deserve it.

boknowssports 3 years ago

This season is destroying any chance for good recruits to come here. Some have already de-committed I'm told. What a mess Gill has got us into.

mjhawkchalk 3 years ago

Not true. Nobody has de-committed. Use facts before you speak.

Andy Hess 3 years ago

Guess again, genius. Daniel Gray decommitted and committed to Tennessee. FACTS.

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

The season is sad, but recruits change commits all the time in football. This is not new and happened even when we went 12-1. Just because Gill isn't getting done doesn't mean everything bad in this world or with this program is his fault.

Bill Kackley 3 years ago

So many of you guys say just anything that comes to mind. I think Gill has to go to but he is so much smarter than most of you, especially ahpersecoachingexperience, it's not even funny. I have no idea why so many of you that don't know what the heck your talking about keep opening up your mouths and farting out of them.

troutsee 3 years ago

Too bad about Brandon. He is a terrific back. Does seem to be injury prone. He will go on to have an outstanding career at KU.

kureader 3 years ago

Agreed ... a really good running back. Hard to tell if Brandon is injury prone. No one takes more physycal punishment than the running back. I'm amazed that any of them make it though an entire season. Hopefully, he'll be ready for spring ball. We're gonna need him next year.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

Love the baby blue uni's. They should wear them all the time.

Jackalope7 3 years ago

Disagree as well. Never thought much of the baby blues. Really didn't like seeing the baby blues at last year's Border Showdown.

Steven Mathew 3 years ago

If I'm correct, I believe we wore all whites at the border showdown. Not baby blues. I believe it was white helmet, white jersey,white pants, etc...

danmoore 3 years ago

Don't care for the powder blue but I like the numbers on the helmuts.

tpatt 3 years ago

He should have stuck with Stanford

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

What happened to all the positivity???

KGphoto 3 years ago

It was a light-hearted joke. I'm not holding any reservations that this year was hard to watch, but it doesn't make me any less positive about some of the pieces Gill put together.

Bourbon, hang in there! Your time will come!

That better?

Kenneth Hillman 3 years ago

Bourbon is a good back and I hope he gets healthy and stays at KU. My next request would be, as people have said above, to find an OC that utilizes each of our back's talents appropriately. Take a look at Arkansas' offense when they had McFadden, Felix, and Peyton Hillis. They had two 1,000 yard backs I believe.

Andy Hess 3 years ago

Yea who was their coach in 2007 when they dominated? Hmmm...oh yea, Houston Nutt! Go get him Zenger!

Steven Mathew 3 years ago

Not to mention utilizing Dexter McCluster correctly when he was at Ole Miss...

John Myers 3 years ago

The guy that was just fired for going 2-7/0-6 conference. Yeah, good call.

justinryman 3 years ago

Im sure Brandon has a better moral content than most fans and will honor his commitment to coach Gill and the University of Kansas.

Injury doesn't equal transfer. It means he's hurt not a quitter.

Unbelievable that people would think that.

ltownatrain 3 years ago

While I agree that injury doesn't equal transfer I don't find it so unbelievable that people would think that. I mean with the way this season has gone it truly is difficult to stay positive each week and believing the we are getting better diatribe that Gill says each and every week.

And before it's said yes KU used to lose a lot we should be used to it to some extend, however, we did have a coach that gave most fans a glimpse and taste of what winning 2 out of 3 bowl games in 4 or 5 years feels like, which is what makes these past two seasons difficult to swallow and thus makes it hard to stay totally positive.

No I'm not a gill supporter I think he looks lost on the sidelines but he can recruit and I don't think we will lose anymore commitments than most schools do on average and I think Bourbon will be back and maybe just maybe next season they will figure out how to use him properly. Who knows maybe we could have a 2009 Nevada like stats with 3 people with over 1000+ yards rushing...that would be something and we have the tools at RB to make that happen. However, since that's the future and this is now....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE beat the Tiggers in a couple weeks and bring the Drum home to Kansas.

danmoore 3 years ago

The talent level is so thin on this team it hurts to lose anyone. Disappointing but it would be even more disappointing to lose him during a good season.