Thursday, November 3, 2011

Naadir Tharpe ‘antsy’ in KU debut

Freshman eventually settled down against Pittsburg State

Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe elevates past the Pittsburg State defense during the second half on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Naadir Tharpe: Why he picked KU

Kansas freshman guard Naadir Tharpe discusses the moment he knew he was going to be a Jayhawk, what led him to his decision and gives KU fans an insight into the type of player and person he is.

Naadir Tharpe has been briefed on exactly what is expected of him as a freshman point guard at Kansas University.

“Coach (Bill Self) told me, ‘You’ve got to get to the paint, find your open players,’ which I did pretty well,” Tharpe, a 5-foot-11, 170-pounder from Worcester, Mass., said after dishing eight assists against nine turnovers and scoring 12 points in the Jayhawks’ 84-55 exhibition victory over Pittsburg State on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse. “And ‘knock down the shot when you’re open,’ he said for me to do, because he feels I’m a great shooter.

“I feel I’m a great shooter myself,” added Tharpe, who hit four of nine shots, including two of three three-pointers.

Tharpe had four assists and seven turnovers the first half of his KU debut — just two turnovers the second half.

“I was a little antsy. I wanted to do a little bit too much,” Tharpe said. “Once I settled down, I played my game, and it turned out well, and we did well together.”

Tharpe realizes nine turnovers are too many for any game.

“I probably had five of them that were bad turnovers, like stupid, in the passing lane, just being too antsy and not being aggressive,” Tharpe said. “They’d be in the passing lane, then they’d tip it, and we’d tip the ball out of bounds. Just stupid plays like that. That’s my fault. I’m going to work on that, and I’m going to be able to get better.”

Of course, he’ll be watched closely by Self, who challenged Tharpe at halftime by saying: “Seven damn turnovers. C’mon, you’re a better player than that.”

“He’s hard on me because he expects a lot out of me. He wants me to be a great player,” said Tharpe, who averaged 13 points and six assists per game last season for Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H. “I knew that was coming from the start. I didn’t come in here thinking it was going to be a cakewalk, because anywhere I went, it wasn’t going to be a cakewalk.”

Tharpe played 34 minutes in his debut on a night Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson sat out for violating team rules. The guard duo will also miss Tuesday’s game against Fort Hays State before being reinstated for the Nov. 11 regular-season opener against Towson,

“They were talking to me throughout the whole game,” Tharpe said. “Sometimes I would look at them, see what they have to say, see what I was doing wrong, see what I was doing right. The whole time, they just kept telling me, ‘Be aggressive, and if you are aggressive you aren’t going to be able to make turnovers.’ So that was really good. I am going to be able to play no matter what.

“I would rather them be on the floor with me” the confident Tharpe added. “I wouldn’t have had as many turnovers because I wouldn’t have to bring the ball up so much. I’m definitely waiting for them to get back. I don’t feel like them being gone is a good thing at all.”

Of the overall first-game experience, Tharpe said: “It was exciting. The crowd, the team. I just felt like it was a serious blessing to be here and playing in Allen Fieldhouse.”

Recruiting: Chris Washburn, a 6-9, 235-pound senior power forward from South Grand Prairie (Texas) High, is interested in KU, Texas A&M; and UTEP, Rivals.com reported Wednesday. Washburn is ranked No. 111 in the Class of 2012. ... Former St. John’s signee JaKarr Sampson, a 6-8 senior forward who is attending Brewster Academy this school year, recently visited Baylor, Zagsblog.com reports. He has also heard from KU, Pitt, Florida, Providence, Miami and others. He also is still considering St. John’s. He was ranked No. 51 in the Class of 2011, enrolling at prep school for academic reasons.

Comments

Kevin John 7 years, 6 months ago

The College of Southern Idaho and Monroe College are ranked 1-2 in the JUCO Poll and will meet Saturday in The Bronx. Both have some D-1 talent. Bill Self& Co. there are some Bigs worth checking out in The Bronx....send somebody.

College of Southern Idaho

33 Paul Bunch

Position: Center Height: 6-11 Weight: 270 Class: Sophomore Hometown: Chicago, Ill.

34 Anthony Allen

Position: Center Height: 7-0 Weight: 240 Class: Freshman Hometown: Philadelphia, Penn

Monroe College

5 A.J. Matthews C Fr. 200 7-0 Brooklyn, NY / Van Arsdale (Tallahassee CC)

13 Terric Harris F So. 245 6-5 Middletown, NY / Middletown HS

Just a few from eavch team - get it done!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 6 months ago

I think we as fans tend to get caught up in stats and height/weight more than we probably should. Yes, the coaches need to find size for the team, but you have to look at the player, how they will fit within the system and whether you think you can grow the player to improve from their current abilities. Self and Co. know what they are doing, and they are constantly looking to build a team that will work hard, play defense and fight for each other rather than a bunch of guys looking for a one-year stop on the way to the NBA. For this reason, I'm not so broken up about losing these "top recruits" because I don't think Self actually wanted to bring them in as much as the fans wanted the player because they had 4-5 stars and am really weary about bringing in Juco players because there is such a smaller window to integrate the player and develop them (Jeff Graves and Mario Little being the only exceptions I can think of). Self will get the players he thinks are the best for the team, and we'll get our usual dose of players signing in the spring, no worries Jayhawk Nation.

RCJGKU

KGphoto 7 years, 6 months ago

I think Graves and Little are the only two JUCO transfers I can think of, and a Graves type is exactly what we are looking for.

Unfortunately we need him now. Next year we will have Withey, Ellis, Peters, Traylor and maybe even Anderson, so I'm not to sure why we would need a JUCO guy then.

KGphoto 7 years, 6 months ago

Forgot about the possibility of Tarc.

KGphoto 7 years, 6 months ago

Woops. How'd I miss that? I never saw "Tarc to Arizona" on here.

Jabez Harlan 7 years, 6 months ago

Recently Bill Self stated what he is looking for in a recruit:

A player that is long, not necessarily tall, but that helps.

A player that is explosive on the jump or the first step.

A player that can shoot, not just a scorer.

And, maybe most importantly, a player who is going to fit in with the system and the current players on the team.

Self has said that they have brought in some high caliber recruits that have had the first three but didn't get along with the current Jayhawk players, or whatever reason did not wan to buy into Self's system, and as a result those players did not work out for KU.

If you take all of this at face value, it shows that Bill is uncompromising in what he believes and should be respected for that.

It also shows that team chemistry means an awful lot to Self and his staff, meaning that they believe a team that plays together is going to be better than 5 5 star recruits that only care about themselves.

Self has received a lot of criticism over the years and especially recently for losing top recruits to other schools. Hopefully, those critics can see that Self is doing things the right way and eventually it will pay off big time!

Look at it this way, at least we will be academically eligible to play in the NCAA tournament in 2013 unlike UCONN.

At least we don't have to start completely over every year by saying good bye to one group of freshman and welcoming in a new group of freshman.

As loyal Jayhawk fans, we ought to be proud of our coaching staff for conducting themselves honorably and ethically. That is, if you're into that kind of stuff!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Good post..straight forward and logical but still doesn't explain the drop-off in talent the last few years.

Early on, Self had huge success from top 60 to 5-star recruits with a few lower ranked recruits with whom Self saw had potential.

Now it seems the opposite.

The 2011 class had only one player in the top 60 (and he is ineligible), and so far the same for 2012.

We are now signing kids that are not in the top 100 and even then, it's been tough.

I don't believe (could be wrong) that other than legacy/walk-ons, Self signed/invited any kids not in the top 100 in his first 4-5 years.

And I admit to putting to much weight to the rankings but it is the measuring stick used to rank recruiting classes..fair or not.

Obviously, it is the final results that ultimately decide success and hopefully, that remains at the high level we have all gotten used to.

seattlephog 7 years, 6 months ago

Great post indeed. Another thing to think about is: we lost 3 recruits this year. If those players would be on the court, this discussion probably wouldn't even be discussed. We also don't know the entire situation that happened with Anderson, McLemore and Tharpe. All I can say is there is a lot of hypocrisy in the world today, especially in the world of sports. Don't get me started on the NCAA.

We hope our coaching staff learns from this year and moves on. I really can't believe people (especially KU fans) are buying into this notion that, Kansas is having a hard time in recruiting. We may have had a down year, but look at the success Kansas has had the last 20 years. Look at those 7 trophies recently added to the trophy case.

I am one who believes this is a blessing in disguise. Look at the pros: • Gives our entire bench immediate playing time in some big games. They are all going to learn a lot this year, much more than any other KU bench in recent memory. • Look at this year as a redshirt year for McLemore and Tharpe. It looks like they are both staying - which is excellent. They can work out with Andrea in the gym and learn our system in time for next season. • We'll lose a few good players this year, but with Peters & Ellis coming in next year joined by McLemore and Tharpe the cupboards will be restocked.

As far as our recruiting goes, I have faith that the coaches know what they are doing and I am sure we will continue to bring in quality guys and as previously mentioned, guys who fit our system. Give me this team over a bunch of one-and-dones any day.

For me, I am going to kick back this year and watch our guys give it their best. How long has it been since Kansas was considered "average" or "the underdogs"? And what usually happens when we get labeled those two things? These guys played with the Champions. They know what it takes to win.

hawk316 7 years, 6 months ago

BigHawk, I like the way you think! Thanks for making so many good points and providing some great info. In particular, I appreciate the point about team chemistry.

While we fans observe the process of recruiting and become concerned about the failure to land certain highly touted recruits, it's really important to understand that there may be a lot going on behind the scenes.

We have to learn to trust Bill Self and his staff. They've been at this a long time, and they've been extremely successful for a long time. Let's all try to keep things in perspective the next time we lose out on a highly publicized recruit.

Jabez Harlan 7 years, 6 months ago

Thank you, I like the way I think most of the time as well.

texashawk10 7 years, 6 months ago

Tharpe definitely looked like his nerves got the better of him in the first half, and fortunately he was able to settle down in the second half and was the biggest factor to me in KU pulling away in the second half. I'll be honest and say that I want to see Self sign a smaller guard because KU is going to be pretty thin in the backcourt after this season, especially if EJ has the kind of season some people think he is capable of because that would make him an NBA prospect (for the record, I don't think he'll be good enough to leave after this year). Right now for next year, KU is looking at a backcourt of EJ and Tharpe with Roberts and Garrett as the backups and those two don't figure to be in the rotation this year. Releford is not going to be handling any of the PG duties and neither is Lindsay since those two will be manning the 3 spot next year. The frontcourt is going to be pretty deep next year with Withey, Wesley, Young, Ellis, Peters, and Traylor in the frontcourt so I feel a lot better about the frontcourt situation than I do the backcourt situation next season for KU.

Scott Murphy 7 years, 6 months ago

Front court deep..................are you kidding me!! With the exception of Ellis none of those guys are D-1 starters, they are role players at best. With T-Rob likely leaving and Self missing on Tarc we are in big time trouble next year up front! As for the guards will have Johnson, Tharpe, McLemore and hopefully will be getting a commitment from Andrew White very soon. Yes Nino Jackson is also out there but he is a mess academically and I don't think he is going to qualify.

Robert Brock 7 years, 6 months ago

Nino Jackson's game is far worse than his academics.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

I agree murphsco..

No disrespect konkeyDong, but from 144 to top 50? Zack Peters is not top 50 material. He still can be a star at KU if he puts in the work.

Peters played AAU for 8 seasons..ending only this summer This spring, he played AAU w/the 'Texas Titans’ AAU basketball team. Dropping out of AAU for one summer at most dropped him out of the top 100..and that's stretching it.

Not sure what the 'football culture' has to do with basketball rankings.

AaronLudy 7 years, 6 months ago

peters will likely redshirt i think, and traylor is damn good person and player he'll do his job, and remember when ppl were saying how kieff wasnt as good as his brother and probably wouldnt go that high in the draft.....think around his freshman year? well i do and look what manning did...number 13 first round....believe in manning and self

treed14ku 7 years, 6 months ago

texashawk10, you are forgot about a fairly talented guard named Ben McLemore when discussing next year's guards. While I definitely hope they sign Nino Jackson or another guard who is highly ranked, a trio of EJ, Tharpe and McLemore will be extremely solid.

Bellator 7 years, 6 months ago

Bill Self said damn, Bill Self said damn!

Zenger better round up the parents, start an internal investigation, can't have that kind of talk at KU athletics.

Just give them milk, cookies and lots of praise at halftime coach.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 6 months ago

he dropped the F bomb at the Big XII championship last year haha

Hail_To_Thee 7 years, 6 months ago

Must have not read BS lips during one of the close up shots during the game. He wasnt happy about something and calle it "BULLSH!T". To me, when a coach is pissed enough to curse, thats passion. Then again, its part of nature.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Lol - if I were the coach, it would have to be in my contract that a camera could never be on me and no sound clips !!

On a day to day basis, I try not to cuss if at all possible. When I competed in sports - I wanted to win and I used every word available to get that point across.

That's the only thing that bothers me about Gill (besides the regular blowout losses) - the fact that he just seems to have no passion. No emotion of any kind. How does that get the players or fans excited? It doesn't.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

I think Tharpe will have logged more minutes in these exhibition games than Woolridge did all of last year including his time in last years exhibition games.

I wish/hope he can continue to get the game minutes needed to develop into a strong D1 guard.

'Bill Self said damn, Bill Self said damn!'

Good stuff!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 6 months ago

Outside of the fast break where Tharpe split the "D" with a nice little bounce pass to Releford for a Lay-up in transition, I thought the play of the game for Tharpe was when...............

He beat his man up top just beyond the half court line, went just above the FT line and realized that there wasn't anything there..............his defender recovered putting a lot of pressure on him, but Tharpe literally released the pressure by simply creating space slowly backing up all the way back out to the half court line...................Once the defender closed that space again, Tharpe crossed over to his left for a dribble or two, went behind his back, got into the lane which drew Teahan's defender and Tharpe made a nice little dump off pass to Triple Treyhan and we all know how that resulted.

It was a sweet play of control, patience, and great decision making. This kid is going to be a stud! I have to say it again, Tarc is going to miss out playing with his buddy (Yes, I'm still bitter at the Tarc decision).

RockChalkGuy 7 years, 6 months ago

I absolutely caught that play and am very glad you brought it to light. That one play is arguably as good as anything Selby displayed during his time at KU; at least from a skills standpoint.

I, too, am excited to see the development of Tharpe. We haven't seen that kind of ball-handling for a while.

Jayhawk444 7 years, 6 months ago

I was very excited to see Tharpe's performance. If he can score 12 and dish out 8 in his very first appearance in a Jayhawk uniform - that could be something special in the works. Forget the turnovers, those will go away. I say that because of the types of turnovers he had. Passes that get picked off on the perimeter can be corrected. Timing with the feeding the bigs can be corrected. What's harder to correct is decision making - which can lead to charging calls and kick-out passes from underneath being picked off (S Collins and Tyshawn both struggle with that). But I though Naadir made good decisions. So I see a huge upside for him and I look forward to watching him develop, possibly into a star.

planojayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

I completely agree! I might add that even in the first half with all those turnovers, he seemed to be always in control in directing the flow. That is rare for a freshman.

He will be a future star PG.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

He definitely has the potential to be a star..it all depends on whether or not HCBS has the patience to allow him to be a freshman and make a few mistakes before being benched.

ku_foaf 7 years, 6 months ago

Chris Washburn is expected to be heavily recruited by North Carolina State. :)

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Like father, like son. Except without the addiction problems.

You know this kid just wants to prove himself so NCS makes sense. His dad did finally get his life in order after being banned for life in the NBA.

I'll root for this kid wherever he goes.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

I was very encouraged by Tharpe. If Teahan can hit the three, and play some defense. Not a bad four guard rotation. Tharpe looks like a solid guy to move in as a starter with EJ next season. I like his pace bringing the ball up the court, his angles, and what appears to be some excellent point guard instincts (see kushaw above).

By the way, there was a good article at espn.com yesterday on how we were "all in" on Tarc, and how the loss stung our program. Noting that AZ had some big guys already committed, how we didn't pursue other guys, etc. I just couldn't locate the link right now.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Just from the little synopsis you gave..I'd say ESPN had the story right. After last year's class, there were high expectations for 2012. Maybe too high. But as it stands, we still have a lot of work to do.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

From a different ESPN article:

Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari watched Willie Cauley play football on Friday night, then got his commitment to play hoops for the Cats on Monday

Obviously, this was already worked out ahead of time...but why we didn't recruit the #32 rivals ranked player is baffling.

Maybe HCBS was worried about his grades..just a guess.

Woody Cragg 7 years, 6 months ago

Kid's passing savvy reminds me of Russ Rob as a freshman. Hope Self takes it a little easier on him than Rob. TO's are part of it at this point. Noticed his separation on double teams was great-will be an excellent pick n roll guy when his guys are looking for the pass.

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 6 months ago

There is an interesting podcast on CBSsportsline.com right now referring to why Bill Self keeps missing out on big time recruits. Is there any truth to this? Is there a pattern developing here or is this just a string of bad luck most certain to be balanced out by a string of good recruits in the future?
For the record, I believe Self to be a great recruiter who is more than capable of bringing in big time recruits. He def has a track record of getting kids to the next level and has more wins in the last 3-5 years than any coach in the country. Plus a national championship, league and league tourney championships aplenty! I mean this would have to scream out to a kid that if he comes to KU he is going to win and be put in a great position to be successful at the next level. So why are kids passing up Self and KU?
I personally believe it is because Self shoots straight and tells the kid flat out that he is going to have to work and defend or he will not see the court. Just by being offered a scholie, doesn't translate into guaranteed PT. In today's AAU mentality, kids want to score and be pampered. The thought of hard work doesn't interest them so they seek out some one who tells them they won't have to work to see the court. I think other places, such as UK and UA, these kids are being guaranteed PT. Or there could be some shady sh!t going on, but I will give the benefit of the doubt. Any ideas?????? Very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow, I post an insightful thread trying to get people talking about a very real problem plaguing our program and I get squat. Since I haven't seen kushaw or Jaybate on this board, I shouldn't expect anyone else to go out on a limb and give their thoughts on things. But I see that a childish rhyme gets hits like it is a doctorate deserving of a noble prize. I got more action when I used to troll these boards looking to start sh!t. Maybe I'll go back to that or only post when I see someone (Jaybate or shaw) engaged who actually might post back something w/ some thoughful material. Back to preschool wimps

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Most people are in denial,

Self is God, there are no recruiting "issues", its all part of his master plan....move along zig, dont ever question the messiahs actions again!

Ron Franklin 7 years, 6 months ago

maybe conference instability has something to do with it? maybe kids have a negative perception of living in the State of Kansas.

like most things, recruiting goes in cycles. who's hot and who's not trend, imho.

i also believe Self shoots straight, and doesn't walk the 'line' as closely as some coaches, such as Calipari. IT stings that Calipari waltzed right in and swooped up a Kansas kid from KSU/KU/WSU.

Kye Clark 7 years, 6 months ago

Were you really crying about not getting any replies? 4 1/2 hours after you posted in the middle of the work day? What an effin' crybaby!

For the record, I think the excuses you gave are garbage. That other schools are promising PT and Self isn't, to say that Self is "shooting straight" and telling these kids they'll have to play defense to earn their minutes. I'm not saying telling them that is garbage, I just find it incredibly hard to believe that is the underlying reason why we have lost countless recruits, and that he is the only "straight shooter" in college basketball; that he is running the only clean program. There's a large portion of KU fans that believe Self does no wrong, never missteps in his coaching or recruiting, and that if we lose a kid we didn't really want him because he must be afraid of hard work. I love our head coach and think he does more or less a great job, but I don't have blind, god-like faith in him. He makes coaching mistakes. He "whiffs" on the recruiting trail sometimes. I posted this a couple of days ago. I'd be angry that you didn't respond, but I didn't post it for the approval of others, just as my personal opinions. People were free to read, ignore, or reply as they saw fit.

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 6 months ago

I don't post just to get responses, but in this case I did. You condescending pr!ck. And just for the record, anytime I see one of your posts, I move right along because I know I am about to encounter a big steaming pile of dog sh!t. You constantly take a point of view that is "out there" or abrasive. And you do this just to illicit responses. So don't sit threre and act as if you post just to post and don't care if anyone has any thoughts on it. You obviously are trying to get people to respond by posting some of the moronic crap I've seen come from your sorry a$$ username. Now to break down your horrible rotort: name me the last recruit that Self told would see the court regardless if he worked or played D.... Still waiting..... Still waiting.... That's what I thought. Even Selby saw the bench more than he did the court because he couldn't gurad YOU when he first got here. In fact, I seem to remember a recent recruit (Ellis I believe) state that he appreciated the way Self shot him straight and told him that he would have to earn his spot. I don't recall ever saying that Self was the "only straight shooter in college basketball". Where the hell did you get that. Or that he is the only one running a clean program? WTF? Way to totally distort what I said into something completely off base. Its that kind of stuff that makes you lose all cred, ICT. And who said anything about Self being "God-like"? That doesn't even make any sense. You are obviously one of those posters who gets on here and bashes Self in order to GET RESPONSES! No one thinks Self is King Midas, however we are a little perplexed by his recent failings in recruiting considering he was white hot when he got here. So get back to the drawing board ICT. Or stay of these boards all together, because you are obviously a prima donna who checks his comments all the time just hoping for a response to your recent drivel. I was simply trying to get some insight from other posters as to what they thought on the subject. Instead I get your angry abrasive self who could not give me that but rather a compost pile. Good day jerk

John Randall 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, Zig, thanks for the epitome of thin-skinned egotistical posts.

Most times, guys going off on each other doesn't elicit any comment from me, but when they make illicit statements, I sometimes decide to prick the balloon.

Neither you or 'itchy' belong in rational conversations, until you grow up enough to let your opinions stand without leaning on what you must consider your "rep".

Kye Clark 7 years, 6 months ago

First of all, "ict" is an abbreviation associated with Wichita. (Oh see how the c is in front of the t and...oh nevermind, why let logic or common sense get in the way of your poor attempt at humor?)

Secondly, you can't hang your wang half-way into something, trying to have it both ways as if to say "oh I'm not in this 'irrational conversation' between you guys who haven't grown up going off on each other, but I'm going to get in here and 'prick the balloon', but again I'm not a part of this". You're either in or your out, and judging by the insulting nature of your post, you might as well get in. Let 'em hang bro.

Kye Clark 7 years, 6 months ago

Zig - congratulations on totally distorting my post, either due to your lack of intelligence, or because you're mad that I called you out on crying about not getting any responses. Many posters, myself included, have jobs and can't get to the site during the day. Sadly, you crying about it worked...I responded. You're welcome. The fact of the matter is, this subject has been discussed at length, so you bringing it up and then whining about not getting responses reeks of you having a "look at me!!!" complex.

I never said that Self WASN'T telling recruits they'd have to play defense. Not once will you see that in my post. My point was that he is telling kids that, but it isn't the reason we're losing recruits...and that's what my post says. But people throw that excuse out there like he's the only one telling kids this, which was in contrast to your post where you say that kids are seeking out other programs where they are told they won't have to work to earn their PT. That is where I got that, and I don't buy it.

No one says they view Self as God-like. The point of that statement is that some fans treat his coaching and recruiting as being beyond question or doubt. Just look at your post. I suggest that he must take at least some of the responsibility for missing out on these recruits. I say that he makes mistakes and occasionally whiffs on recruits, and you accuse me of bashing him. So sorry chump, when you ask for responses (all the while only wanting people to agree with you), don't get your panties in a bunch because I place some of the blame for the recruiting failings at the feet of Coach Self. So say "back to the drawing board" all you want, but know that all the posters were laughing along with me at you throwing a hissy fit over no one responding to your post. Back to the drawing board? Back to your pacifier crybaby.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 6 months ago

I think that our major competitors for recruits (eg UNC, Duke, UA, Texas, UCLA, and UK) have a much better public relations effort than that of KUAD for B-BAll and other sports! Moreover, we have a local paper (LJW) that has an editor that spends his time dissing anything and everything about KU athletics and this stuff he writes is picked up by the national press. Believe me, recruits read this stuff and make them have second thoughts about attending KU or a "gut" feel to go elsewhere. Thus, if we are to attract the so called studs, KUAD must improve it promotional effort and perhaps, LJW should go in a different direction in terms of producing its editorial content.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

Questions for the universe;

1] Will Naadir reach the zenith? 2] Can Withey become pithy? 3] Will Teahan be "The Man"? 4] Will TRob end up "The Rob"? 5] Is Justin ready to do some bustin"? 6] Is Jordan ready to cross the River? 7] Will Tyshawn shine on? 8] Will the Prophet profit? 9] Will Travis travel through travail? 10] Will Young climb the rungs? 11] Will Merv be served? 12] Will BenMac and Jamari survive this safari? 13] Will the bench help a bunch? 14] Will Coach Self bring great wealth?

What will be will be for you and me but we'll just have to wait and see!!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

Does Oakville tokeville? Or does he think this is a jokeville? Something has to make him a bit more syllabicville. Maybe a hot little cheerleader he can pokeville? Note sure that would helpville. But can't hurtville.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

I posted about this yesterday, but I am really excited for Naadir Tharpe. I have been ever since I heard that Bill Self signed a 5'11" pure PG. He may not be a top 50 recruit, but he's got all the tools to be a great PG in college basketball for the next four years.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually, he does have all the tools, the only reason he was ranked as low on the recruiting boards as he was, was because he's 5'11"

if you took tharpes skill set right now and put it into a 6'3" frame he would have been a top 30 recruit.

keep in mind that was a DII school tuesday night, his height wasn't as big of a disadvantage as it will be when goes against guys like Marquie Teague, and the Texas Kangaroo

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

That is the common misconception - that short players somehow aren't as good as tall players. There have been plenty of basketball players that have proven otherwise. That shows just how flawed these ranking sites really are.

Short players have a disadvantage in height, so they don't get as many blocks or rebounds. But PG's aren't there to block shots. A short player's advantage is in his quickness; short guys are usually far better passers, dribblers, jump shooters, etc.

Naadir will be one of the best PG's in college bball during his Junior and Senior seasons (much like Sherron was). He'll still be 5'11".

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

The biggest disadvantage that comes from lack of height is in defense.

its hard to play good defense on a guy just as quick as you and 4-5 inches taller. because they can just shoot over the top of you.

tharpe will put up impressive offensive numbers as he matures, but like sherron, he is never going to be known as a defensive stopper.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

Naadir might get blocked by a guy 4-5 inches taller than him, but on the other end he will make up for it by stealing the ball from that same guy. That's usually the tradeoff (although there are plenty of exceptions). A skilled short player will have no problem getting steals or causing havoc for dribblers on defense. And they can block taller opponents as well (Do you remember when Muggsy Bouges (5'3") blocked Patrick Ewing? Bogues had 39 blocks...in the NBA.)

Really, the biggest thing he'll have to overcome is the misconception that his height is a disadvantage. For whatever reason, people just think taller players are better for basketball. That's not necessarily the case. There are plenty of <6'0" basketball players that have proven otherwise at every level of competition.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

You know what....that would be a great nickname for Naadir...

Naadir " The Zenith" Tharpe!!

jaybate 7 years, 6 months ago

I can't think of a nickname right now, but I know what his as-told-to sports autobiography has to be.

"The World According to Tharpe"

Perhaps it could be as told to John Irving. :-)

Ben Kliewer 7 years, 6 months ago

I wasn't able to catch the game on Tuesday...seeing as I live in California... How do you pronounce Naadir? I haven't had the privilege of hearing an announcer tell me how to say it. I assume Tharpe is the way it looks, rhymes with carp... Dumb question, but I'm really in the dark here.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a wife who is too tired to "tango"!!

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

So we miss on Tarc and plan B turns out to be another 3 star recruit ranked in the 100's (because we dont already have enough of those on the roster) and another kid with academic issues?

pathetic!

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

Waaaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaaah!

Players like Naadir Tharpe prove that you don't have to be in the top 50 or even the top 100 to be a good player and contribute at KU. Tarc would have been awesome, but he probably would've only been a Jayhawk for one year. We all know how badly that turns out for a team trying to win a Championship. Let's move on now.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Tarc was not a One-and Done,

his offensive game isn't nearly ready for the NBA he will have a developmental path very similar to cole aldrich (2-3 year college guy).

If i understand you correctly, the year after we just lost half of our sub par recruiting class to academic inelligibility, your ok with us going out and recruiting ANOTHER kid who lost elligibility this year due to academic reasons?

when did the university start recruiting just any idiot off the street that can shoot a basketball? we use to run away from kids that had any academic concerns. thats the primary reason we've backed of nino jackson. who, in Self's desperation, i wouldn't be surprised starts getting recruited hard again

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

You didn't understand me correctly. What I said was, "Players like Naadir Tharpe prove that you don't have to be in the top 50 or even the top 100 to be a good player and contribute at KU."

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

I agree on the academics, but why bellyache about how many stars some website gives to a player that hasn't even played college ball yet? More stars doesn't equal a National Championship. Just ask that grease ball at UK.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

true, but that grease ball does have a consensous top 2 team in the country right now, and has been back to the final 4 before Self, since they met the first time(althougth technically they didn't)

there is a direct correlation between recruiting talent and team success, every year people like to point to the VCUs and the Butlers as proof that you dont need good players to win. but in actuality all they are proving is 1-2 teams out of the 20 to make the final 4 the last 5 years didn't need highly ranked players.

18 out of the 20 did, so statistically speaking you are 9 times more likely to make a final 4 with highly recruited players than with out.

if the stars really dont matter why doesn't self just recruit these guy from the get go? why does he only start recruiting them after he has missed on the 4-5 star guys?

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Good post, hard to argue, i agree with most of what you said.

John Randall 7 years, 6 months ago

You have completely misconstrued the issue with Anderson, MacLemore, Traylor.

None of them had any "academic issues" at all. They had good grades, scored well on entrance exams, and were fine in summer school at KU.

The "issue" was ENTIRELY with the NCAA trying to make an unfavorable example of the agents/AAU circuit/academy practices getting so far out of hand. They found a perfect target when one of the highest profile programs with as clean a record as any happened to have three recruits at once that the NCAA could slap their newly-minted "partial qualifier" label on, simply because they attended more than two secondary schools, and the BigXII policy took over from there.

It is not only inaccurate, but really vicious to label these student athletes as academically inadequate. They were simply in the crosswalk when the runaway NCAA bus came careening up the street.

REHawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Naadir appears to possess the instincts and courage to go far as a pure pass-first point guard. 3 or 4 of his turnovers were passes which just missed the mark, and would probably have been caught by scorers who are normally in our starting lineup, or by his Tuesday night teammates if they had worked with him for a few weeks prior to the Gorilla game. Until Teahan was double teamed, Tharpe whipped the ball to him for those early threes. Then he began working the ball inside, sometimes a fraction of a second off, but with natural optimum intent. I predict that the kid will develop into an outstanding Jayhawk...and will garner lotsa playing time this season. He showed us that he could play point or combo, even tho the Jayhawks are giving up height with him in the lineup. If Elijah and Travis return next season, and if Ben Mac becomes eligible, we should be in good shape at the 1-3 positions. I am awaiting the chance to see Naadir in the lineup with 4 of our usual starters. Withey, especially, should be on the receiving end of many passes, if TRob gets double or triple teamed. And if Conner is on the floor, Naadir already knows to look for him outside the arc. If EJ and TT filter their minutes into the speedy play of which they are both capable, Naadir is going to scoop up a lot of relief minutes by March.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 6 months ago

I agree with your post. All I would say is that his height doesn't matter one bit. Sherron was 5'11" too, if you'll remember. He never had any matchup problems and was one of the main contributors to KU's National Championship in '08. His quickness will trump most other players' height any day.

Micky Baker 7 years, 6 months ago

I have to say that the way the young guys reacted to adversity, even though it was an exhibition game against a lower division team, it was impressive how they turned it up in the second half. That was better than I expected given the circumstances.