Saturday, May 28, 2011

Markieff Morris slams Arizona’s Derrick Williams

Kansas forward Markieff Morris twirls his finger for the "wrap-up" signal after an alley-oop dunk against Illinois during the second half on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Former University of Arizona forward Derrick Williams, who is expected to be selected No. 1 or 2 in the 2011 NBA Draft, has received no ringing endorsement from Kansas University’s Markieff Morris.

“I didn’t think he was as good as advertised,” Morris told the Washington Post, referring to the 6-foot-9, 250-pound sophomore, who had a 27-point, seven-rebound outing in an 87-79 loss to KU in last November’s Las Vegas Invitational.

“He got the benefit of the calls from the ref, and we had to guard him different. He definitely had a good game against us, because we couldn’t guard him how we wanted to guard him, and that’s what happened,” added Morris, who scored 15 points with three rebounds versus U of A. Twin brother Marcus Morris had 16 points and nine boards.

Of Williams being expected to go in the top two, Markieff told the Post: “It still surprises me. What he did to Duke (32 points, 17 boards in NCAA Tournament victory), he wouldn’t do that to me or my brother. I’m dead serious. He wouldn’t. At all. He’s good. But if we were to work out, I would go at him, and I would be able to stop him more than people would expect, you know what I mean.”

The Washington Post article received a lot of play on the Internet Friday. It even drew special mention on thebiglead.com.

Markieff, by the way, will work out for the Utah Jazz on Sunday in Salt Lake City.

Good game for Withey

KU junior-to-be Jeff Withey scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds in Athletes In Action’s 101-62 victory over the Macedonian national team on Thursday in Macedonia. Withey and KU senior-to-be Jordan Juenemann are in Europe playing for the college all-star team.

“He played real strong. I was proud of him. I can really tell he is having a great time,” Juenemann said of the 7-foot Withey in Juenemann’s blog at kuathletics.com.

“The whole world revolves around beating us,” Juenemann added of competition on the trip.

Daniels rumor mill

Oklahoma radio talk-show host Greg Swaim reports that prize prospect DeAndre Daniels may now be considering attending Oklahoma State.

“We’re now hearing DeAndre Daniels likes the thought of playing with (incoming freshmen) LeBryan Nash and Cezar Guererro at Oklahoma State,” Swaim wrote Friday on Twitter.

Daniels, 6-8 from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., has had a final list of KU, Texas and Oregon for some time now. Daniels said Thursday that San Diego State was also in the mix.

Comments

CrodieBroyle 9 years, 2 months ago

Wow, I like like Williams a lot. I think he's the top player in the draft. I thought there would be more respect between the two. I do agree that he wouldn't have put up 32-17 vs the twins

phi4life940 9 years, 2 months ago

That's it. I'm officially over DeAndre Daniels.....

Love me some Morris Twins. Make sure to back up your talk Kief!

Rock Chalk!

Cmill1221 9 years, 2 months ago

AGREE!! It feels like we do this every year now and the player never lives up to the hype. OVER IT!!

Bill Skeet 9 years, 2 months ago

I really can't imagine a scenario where Markieff is well-served by these comments. Disparaging a fellow lottery pick is not an leadership quality. And the next time he meets Williams, he probably will do so without Marcus at his side...

While it is clear he is exercising his jaws, I sure hope he is exercising his court skills more.

Reflecting ont the article, I have an uneasy feeling. The only uplifting item is Withey.

jhox 9 years, 2 months ago

I agree, nothing to be gained by these comments. I just makes him look like a cry baby bringing up the KU-AZ game. He would have been better served to keep his mouth shut and prove it on the court.

Yes, Williams had a lot of calls go his way against us, that probably shouldn't have, but he's still the guy who I would take first in the draft. He's a beast.

Hal Urbanek 9 years, 2 months ago

WOW...Bill Self must be so glad he doesn't have to cover for Markieff anymore...amazing how stupid some super gifted people can be.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 9 years, 2 months ago

Jeff Withey should have been the lead story of this posting; he's actually on the court playing and out there making things happen and getting ready for November!

Markieff has always had something grand to say and right now I could care less where DD ends up. One is talking and the other is thinking! Yawn!

Kirk 9 years, 2 months ago

Good to see an ex-KU player talking some crap in the NBA. Right on. This is what it's all about.

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

Who gives a flying f*** what a Oklahoma City talking head has to say about Daniels' college prospects? At this point, given Daniels' indecision, anyone can throw any school's hat into the ring and it can sound like it might be a realistic possibility.

ca_hawk06 9 years, 2 months ago

I too am pretty much over this DeAndre Daniels saga. The more I think about it the more I think he could be a cancer to this class. I see tharpe as a RussRob/Mario Chalmers type: defends his ass off, does the dirty work and competes until he can't walk. BMac as the next BRush: Dead-eye shooter with freakish athleticism and potential to become a lock down defender. Traylor as a more athletic D-Block, and Andersen will find his niche if for no other reason than sheer necessity and constant work with D-Manning... this is the kind of class that if they stick together for 3-4 years, which seems likely, could very well bring another national championship right back where it belongs.. Getting DD could lead to resentments and feelings of entitlement, because here is a guy everyone was drooling over and begging to come here. I'm 100% satisfied with the class we have as well as the returners, especially if WIthey can produce on a consistent basis (i.e 10-12 pts and 6-8 boards)... I would welcome DD with open arms if he ends this charade and is 100% committed to playing KU, team-oriented basketball, but at this time that seems a bit more than far fetched

batchief0190 9 years, 2 months ago

DD needs to get off the fence and make a frickin decision. If he really wants to win and get prepared for the NBA, playing at KU vs his other choices and being able to work D Mann everyday. Whats there to think about.

Steve Corder 9 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. Real competitors excell over talent at this level.

addlime 9 years, 2 months ago

Hard to say. I'd still like to remind everyone of Darrell Arthur's decision making process. At the time of that "saga" everyone seemed to respond the way we are know. We all know how his KU story ended...

lawyermog 9 years, 2 months ago

Also, B Rush did the samething and just showed up to go to class in August if I remember correctly. It will all get settled and we will win another conference title regardless.
Rock Chalk!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 2 months ago

Kief is competitive. That is no surprise. I loved the twins for that.

Kevin John 9 years, 2 months ago

Way to go Jeff Withey...get physical and be mean.

And yeah, D. Williams didn't impress me in a very weak pac 10.

How would he do in Big 12 or Big East?

catsbackontop 9 years, 2 months ago

Well, why don't you ask Kansas, Texas, Duke, UConn?

hawksfan08 9 years, 2 months ago

I like your name as catsbackontop while, of the 4 teams you mention, you lost to Kansas, Uconn and only beat texas due to a 4 second call. Yup, you're really back on top.

catsbackontop 9 years, 2 months ago

Right, i'm not talking about the final outcome, we lost to KU and UCONN, which are teams I highly respect. Your post was talking about Williams dominating in a "weak Pac-10", which is fair, but he also put up stellar numbers against teams out of the PAC. Which are the teams I mentioned above.

Michael Auchard 9 years, 2 months ago

"It even drew special mention on thebiglead.com."

I'll admit up front that I have no idea what thebiglead.com has ever offered to sports/society. Perhaps they're really famous, or something. But just based on my brief, recent perusal, that's a pretty amateurish-looking site for someone to name drop/draw attention to in an article.

The website looks like it was designed by a couple of twelve-year-old kids.

llmccal 9 years, 2 months ago

Kieff is telling it like it is regarding Williams. I watched both games in Tulsa and Williams was very physical in gaining position on the offensive end and the refs let him get by with it. Williams will not get that benefit in the pros. Williams shooting range is also very limited. He does run the court well but is not an aggressive defender.

I would be shocked if he is the #1 or #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 2 months ago

"I would be shocked if he is the #1 or #2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft."

Prepare to be shocked. Have you seen the rest of the draft?

catsbackontop 9 years, 2 months ago

LOL hahaha exactly what I was thinking, and I am very confident DWill would be a Top5 pick even in a very strong draft

bayareajhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

DWill is an above-average player, but come on now.

treed14ku 9 years, 2 months ago

llmccal, are you an alias for Markieff Morris? B/c that would be the only logical explanation for your idiotic comment that Williams shooting range is very limited. Derrick Williams shot 56% on THREE-POINTERS last year. 56%. If you want to knock on an aspect of his game, you would have been better served to mention his less than stellar assist to turnover ratio. Clearly your "advanced scouting" in Tulsa failed on. Bottomline, Kieff loves talking smack and its going to bite him in the butt some of the time. This time included.

FinalFinal 9 years, 2 months ago

The Morris act is old. VCU loss is how they went out. Elite E loss to VCU!

Shut your mouths. Make your money.

Good news on Withey. Manning gets him in the league and it will be yet another "Miracle" for Number 25.

star22 9 years, 2 months ago

yea right its the morris twins fault they lose to vcu. with out the morrii they don't get that far

NotWiller 9 years, 2 months ago

I seem to remember a number of hyped games in which 'Kieff barely showed. I flew cross country to Bramlage to witness one of them....

Zip it and play, bud.

Brad Avery 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Markieff, learn to shoot free throws and hustle back on defense before you start critiquing the game of someone who is going to be drafted about 15 spots ahead of you. You have a long way to go before you will ever play on an NBA court. Keep your mouth closed around reporters and work on your game unceasingly, You and those around you will benefit from your silence and hard work.

Viggo3003 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey Kieff how about PLAY your A-Game in the game, like maybe the VCU game, then throw your chest out and talk.

JakeBarnes 9 years, 2 months ago

I heard Daniels was considering Emporia State. Any truth to the rumor?

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 2 months ago

I just asked him and he said "I'm keeping my options open."

but not really.

1jhawk2 9 years, 2 months ago

810 WHB had a college scout (Eric Busse maybe) on last week and Petro asked who Daniels could be compared to. One was Julian Wright and the scout Daniels was more controlled and had a better shot. There was another player and can't remember who it was, but then Petro mentioned Micha Downs and the scout responded, "wow". He compared the 2 in that they are both tall and skinny, both like to play on the perimeter, Downs liked to dribble baseline and it doesn't matter for Daniels. He also said they both are as indecisive about what they are doing.

We don't need another perimeter player. My guess is that is what he wants and he will be no different than Downs who was not physical enough on the blocks for the conference. Robinson, Withey, Traylor and a HUGE MAYBE Anderson will be able to hold down the fort. Travis Releford is small, but good enough to play defense at this level. I trusted Releford on defense more than Little, but liked what points we got offensively from Little.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 2 months ago

Daniels could be a plus, but I think that we have a solid nucleus of players that will make us repeat as Big XII Champs and advance at least to the Elite Eight!

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

I liked the twins very much while they were here, and wished they had stayed for one more year. Having said that, I also hated the fact that they were, at times, very immature (yeah, I know they're kids - but they're BIG-STAGE kids) and their mouths cost us at times. Sometimes it cost us points, sometimes it cost us (and them) a loss of respect. Good luck twins. I hope you grow up quickly.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 2 months ago

I saw Williams play a number of times this year. He's really good, and there are plenty of reasons he's being slotted so high. 'Kieff would be wise to worry about himself!

chaggs 9 years, 2 months ago

KU needs to be proactive and give a deadline to DD before the offer is rescinded. If not, this has the potential to happen year after year. The program is elite, not the recruit!

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, because every top 10 recruit is going to be like Selby. Also, did you forget that Selby was suspended and injured while he was here? Dumb comments like this make some KU fans look stoopid and undeumacated.

David Hodges 9 years, 2 months ago

Did you really need to add the "Idiot" part? Isn't the point of a message board to share your opinion... why the insult at the end of your completely valid point? Needless insults discredit your posts. We are all fans (obviously not counting the trolls) of the Jayhawks... can we stop the needless insults? Save them for the trolls. Rock Chalk!

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes people just need to be told when they are bing an idiot. It will help them out later in life.

bhsnowhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

Kevin Studer 9 years, 2 months ago

Yeah. That will get all the top players here. "The program is elite, not the recruit." It should be our slogan, so we can enjoy a run of 3-star players for the rest of time.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 2 months ago

It's funny you say this, considering the article is about Kief talking smack on Williams. Williams wasn't even in the Rivals top 150. He was a 3-star recruit and considered an add-on to a great class.

The irony of this...

Kevin Studer 9 years, 2 months ago

Williams is the exception, not the norm. To suggest we would be anything near where we are without our 4 and 5 star recruits is pretty Disneyland.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 2 months ago

Not saying it is the norm. Just saying, the irony of worrying about five star athletes in a forum of three star recruits. Don't you see it?

It won't shock me if Traylor is a total stud in a year or two from now. Rivals is a tool, but not a law.

Steve Corder 9 years, 2 months ago

I believe he means that KU is elite and only recruits elite/highly gifted athletes, which means a whole lot more than a Rivals rating! The National Championship goes to the best teams and not to how some bobble-head analyist ranks a recruiting class based on Rivals.

I actually dispise the one-and-done athlete mentality which seems to say, "it's all about me." Frankly, take Henry & Sleby out of KU and there's not much that would have changed the outcome for KU basketball.

chaggs 9 years, 2 months ago

What's this? Sanity? Refreshing in todays blog!

Robert Brock 9 years, 2 months ago

I wouldn't worry about anything said by Greg Swaim. He is always hearing voices in his head; fortunately, those voices are always wrong.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 2 months ago

We do need a perimeter player. That is pretty dumb to say we don't. Releford is fine but we need at least two.

Greg Swaim is a complete IDIOT and anybody who follows recruiting knows that. He is nothing. Zero.Nada.

As for Daniels and his recruitment the kid has said NOTHING! It is the media, his coaches, etc. but nary a word from him. ALWAYS remember that folks, unless it comes straight from his mouth then nothing is accurate.

drwho127 9 years, 2 months ago

Swaim is probably pissed off that OSU did not get Jamari Traylor. Haha.

kubeav 9 years, 2 months ago

DD holding out to see who will give him the most(pay him more). I don't want him, noyhing but trouble.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 2 months ago

This is a hard on! One, kieff is right. If you remember that game we jumped out to a huge lead then the refs/bookies brought the lead back down. Two, what he said is something you say to the gm behind closed doors. Not to a major newspaper. Three, kind of like it when a guy says what he really thinks. Four, does this mean kieff thinks big dude from vcu (to lazy to look it up) should be the number 1 pick?

David Hodges 9 years, 2 months ago

Apher we don't always see eye to eye, but point four--your are very clever sometimes... i love the sarcasm! Rock Chalk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 2 months ago

Thanks man! What was dudes name?

And after going over my post it would appear that I left out a fairly important letter e in line one. My bad!

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

Thank you so much for clearing that up! I was starting to get scared.

jayhawks25 9 years, 2 months ago

Markieff and Marcus are being such tools the reason he is going to be drafted in the top 2 must mean that he is going to be a great NBA Player. I think Derrick will start before the twins in the NBA. He will probably score twice as many as them.

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

And now he will be sure to try and score twice as many points AGAINST them.

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

JW, nice work. Please gain some weight and compete this upcoming season like we all knew you could when you transferred here from Zona.

DD, take all the time you need. If other schools are jumping at the chance to get you, I don't blame them. However, The sooner you get to a campus and start working out with the team, the quicker you will mesh with them and the better off that team will be during the season (making you look better to NBA scouts).

Keiff, you got clowned in the NCAAs by a no-name kid at a no-name school. Two years in a row. That would have taught me to keep my mouth shut to the media. But I do like the fire and competitiveness. It just needs to be contained when the reporters are around.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 2 months ago

Now, I realize that it hasn't been long enough, and we still can't get past our need to go on and on any time a Morris speaks up to the press, but only one other person bothers to mention the brightest point in this article, that Jeff Withey both scored AND rebounded, going 18 and 8? 18 and 8?!?! I didn't know he actually knew how to do that, so I'm definitely happy to see that it is possible.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 2 months ago

jhox 9 years, 2 months ago

Self is a much more patient man that I would be in this Daniels situation. With all of these "new" schools suddenly in the mix, if it were me, I'd say, "Son, this is getting very old, very fast. I have next season to plan for, and I have to know your status so I can recruit accordingly for the 2012 class. I want an answer by Monday, or we're parting ways for good."

I really get the impression this kid is toying with us, or perhaps he has his hand out looking for someone to give him Cam Newton type money. I think it is about time to give him an ultimatum and walk away. Kentucky already did bascially that, I suspect Duke did the same, and now he's not talking at all about Texas, so they may have done the same as well.

If he really wanted to come to KU, he would have committed by now. We're Kansas, it's time to get off our knees and stop begging.

David Hodges 9 years, 2 months ago

I can see your point but... if your told by a program "we aren't recruiting you anymore because of...". Wouldn't that make it more likely that you would then become serious about recruiting? The point is, only DD knows why this process has taken so long. Ultimately it hurts him... like Selby he will have a fan-base with huge expectations, one that most likely won't fully support him until he proves himself on the court. If he struggles or falls short his first and possibly only year. Fans will say he was never actually a (insert team name hear) because of how long his recruitment dragged on. For his sake i hope he decides soon. As a Jayhawk i hope its with us. In the long run, hes only making things tougher on himself. Rock Chalk? In the words of Jaybate... "No Malice" just putting in my two cents.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 2 months ago

Very well said across the board Drgn.

Keif's comment reminds me of the "flagrant foul" called against MM (?) against KSU when he was suppose to set a pick on Pullen. Instead of moving his body (the smart thing that takes more effort) he just stuck out his arm (the lazy move) and hit him with an elbow. They just never figured out what elite effort was about - see Williams post positioning you mentioned, epecially on D.

Hopefully Jeff is finally healthy and will remain so. Coach Self, et al will undoubtedly take his ability/effort and mold it with the others on the team into another championship team. DD is the lifeblood of all the journos that are looking for a story this time of year, and the "Ed McMann" for so many comments to Coach Self about how to recruit and prepare a team.

JRandall 9 years, 2 months ago

Agree, well said on all counts.

The twins were great at KU, thank you twins. Now it's time to put your big boy pants on and just let your playing do the talking. None of the seasoned vets in the NBA care what your opinion is, nor will they take any elbows without some big time retaliation. The refs will not listen to your whining either... so just play your game and let it speak.

So glad JW is getting some confidence playing and hope that carries through for this coming season.

I would rather see DD go elsewhere. I know it's a new era for college ball, but not a fan of any storied program selling it's soul to land 1 and done players... if he wants the HONOR of being a Jayhawk.. he'd be begging for a scholarship not acting like a proven commodity. Later DD, go cause some other program headaches

Doug Fogleman 9 years, 2 months ago

Williams is flat out better than the twins. He may not have the same offensive skills as the twins, but is a lot more physical. The twins did not like contact. I thought the twins were great for us, but I would chose Williams over either one. I think the twins will always be role players in the NBA. Get ready to set a lot of screens.

Sparko 9 years, 2 months ago

The point is--Williams did get some pathetic calls against KU and had about 10 extra FTs. Also against UT. Good player, but he was part of a strategy to rebuild AZ's credibility. The NBA is not known for its officiating prowess either. We'll see if he gets the star treatment there.

Twan2000 9 years, 2 months ago

For several months now I have thought that if we could add DD to our incoming class that it would improve our team substantially next season. My mind has slowly changed since then regarding DD. I think HCBS should break off recruitment of DD. I think DD could potentially be a team cancer and I think it would serve HCBS well by sending a message to potential recruits that KU will not be held hostage by a high school kid and that KU is one of the elite programs in the country and it is a privilege to wear the Crimson and Blue. Enough with these prima donnas already!!!

Kevin Crook 9 years, 2 months ago

I love the twins, but I will not miss the way they shot their mouths off in the media. I think it was Marcus who said how great of a team we had right before we went to Manhattan and got throttled. He also did it before the VCU game. They need to learn to let their play do their talking and shut their mouths on and off the court. Best of luck to them, they are great players, but please guys act like Jayhawks not classless Wildcats, Sooners, or Tigers.

Nick Cole 9 years, 2 months ago

Probably KSU Wildcats. Just my guess.

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 2 months ago

Are there other relevant Division I wildcats?

catsbackontop 9 years, 2 months ago

Oh, well Duh, sorry about that, just wanted to clear it up

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 9 years, 2 months ago

Whether he's right or not....what's to gain by bashing another player? This just reminds me how overconfident and immature the Morris twins were at times.

I love the effort they gave us, but won't miss their locker room material they give every other team. Coach Self should've smacked them down a bit and got them in line.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 2 months ago

Markieff--you'll do yourself a big favor if you can learn to start taking the high road. Sometimes what we think/believe shouldn't always be what we say. Good luck to you in the leage--but rememember, you are in a new arena, and you are at the bottom of the food chain now, so anything and everything you can do to be respectful will benefit you. Find some humble pie and take a big bite of it.

Kenny Nall 9 years, 2 months ago

Sorry HCBS, but the Morris twins might finally learn some lessons in the NBA.

Hank Cross 9 years, 2 months ago

KU should tell this DD character to walk on. But some will say, "What message will that send to recruits?" The message is that KU is not going to act like some rabbit-cooking, psycho stalker high school girl waiting all night and day by the phone for a boy to call. If you give a player this much leverage in the recruiting phase, it will only become worse once they get to campus.

JRandall 9 years, 2 months ago

+100 amen, no 1 player is bigger than the team or Univ. No one is worth the trouble. Just take a look back at umm... last year. No offense, Selby was not worth the trouble, did nothing for the team. I'm sure he will be a good NBA player, but he just did not meet up to all the hype nor the work and sacrifice HCBS made to get him.

David Hodges 9 years, 2 months ago

Selby won us the USC game... I get your point though and give a +1 to both posts. I personally like when we crush people with a team of guys that have played together, all together it makes it fun to watch them gel. To many kids these days think they can come in as a freshman and have a huge impact on the game. In all reality there is maybe one kid a year like that, and some years none at all. The ones that have been amazing played on teams where they were clearly the best player on the floor. Selby was never the best player on the floor, not at Kansas. To be the best player on the floor you need development and experience, even if its only a years worth. Side point; to all who say raise the age to 21... and help the NBA with their free developement league even more? No thanks! What other job do you have to be 21 (that doesn't involve alcohol obviously) to work? Pretty sure at 18 you are an adult (if you can die for your country you should be able to drink...) and therefore legally able to work. Limitations only benefit the NBA... noone else. Let the one and dones skip this step altogether... it cheapens the NCAA and the schools they ultimately bail on. One could even say that the older experienced players that get pushed out by the young "one and done's" lower the overall NBA experience by selecting unexperienced kids that need development over older players that know the game through experience. You would think the players union would get the rule tossed as more young players equals less jobs for the current players. Meh... union doesn't care as long as they get their dues. Apologies for the lengthy reply. Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

ibranch - I'm really not trying to be disagreeable, but the first line of your post kinda bothered me. True, statistically, Selby won the game. But, since this site is mostly opinion oriented, my opinion is that we would have beaten USC soundly if Selby had not been in the game. The whole game I had the feeling that everyone on our team was just standing around watching him, waiting for him to pull out the Superman cape. He had a couple of decent games after that, but more often than not, when he was in the game I felt he was a detriment to our team.

Kevin Crook 9 years, 2 months ago

I meant KSU but UK and UA apply as well!

catsbackontop 9 years, 2 months ago

What it there son, BS isn't as clean as you think! JK i have no base on this statement, i just wanted to rile you up for taking smack bout UA

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

A couple observations:

1. Markieff should reconsider.
  2. Derrick Williams is the real deal. One brilliant fellow said he'd like to see what Williams would do against the Big 12 or Big East. We obviously saw what he did against Duke. The negative comments about Williams come from the mouths of those who strain so long and so hard to support anything KU, common sense is ignored .. the crimson and blue colored glasses effect. Williams has seemed like a good guy in college, has seemed respectful, and is a stud player.
  3. I find it quite amazing that Derrick Williams somehow had the ability to keep tatoos off his body. I guess I didn't realize that was possible.
  4. Williams outplayed Kieff and Marcus this past season, and it wasn't close.
  5. And NBA scouts, who draft on potential, rank Williams ahead of both Morrises. There is a reason why. They think he'll be a better pro. Williams is better now, too.
  6. Wonder why one of the Morrises didn't pull a "Williams" and take over the VCU game?
  7. The referees, unfortunately, are horrible wherever you go.

Have a nice weekend.

Benjamin Clay Jones 9 years, 2 months ago

Apparently Markieff learned nothing from the loss to VCU. Still running his mouth.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 2 months ago

I trust Bill Self. If he feels that Deandre is worth all this effort and sweat equity, then so be it and let's try to get the kid. However, plan your season and your rotation assuming he has chosen a different path.

I see two distinct possibilities..

If the NBA lockout occurs.... Deanadre ends up at Kansas, show cases himself in Madison Square Garden, Los Angeles and Maui.

If there is no lockout...Deandre tries to go pro immediately. Sooner or later, someone is going to challenge this awful one and done rule.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

My opinion, but I don't think Daniels is the quality of player to challenge the rule; it's too late -- the draft is in a few weeks; a judge won't simply make him a free agent post-draft because there is a collective bargaining agreement.

On the chances of coming to KU, probably "1 in how many schools he is now considering."

I like the idea of Daniels going to Oklahoma St. And I'll bet Releford shuts his a** down.

jaybate 9 years, 2 months ago

Kieff thinks what he thinks.

Kieff sounds like he is probably right.

Williams' big performances are deceptive.

Williams looked great on a night the Morri were in foul trouble. Every big looks good, when the man guarding him is fouled up.

Miller is a coach that will play completely through a player, if the player has an opponent fouled up.

When Miller hung a big perf. on KU, UA played almost completely through Williams; that doesn't prove Williams is a stud. It proves what Kieff said; that the Morri were fouled up and Williams got all the touches.

It is true Williams had a big night against Duke, but again that was misleading. Plumlee got fouled up. And Sean Miller told his boys to go out and take Duke down each time Consonants tried to XTReme Cheap Shot. Without XTReme Cheap Shotting, Duke was not much of a team, except for Kyrie Irving, when he got back. Duke's bigs, especially Plumlee, were overrated all season.

So: Derrick Williams put it to Duke, because Plumlee was fouled up and overrated, and UA played almost completely through Williams again.

Bottom line: Williams never overwhelmed a single highly-rated, opposing big that was not in fouled up one time all season.

IMHO, Kieff's just telling it like it was.

Should Kieff have done that?

Nope, but a guys got to live and learn.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

I have to ask if you ever really spent time watching Williams play this season? I watched one game when they played Washington, won be one or two points. Williams had some turnovers, wasn't on his game, and the dude still scored 25 and had double digit rebounds .. best player on the floor. Easy. He never played a game where he wasn't the best player on the floor -- but for UConn/Kemba Walker.

The guy was a big-time player; he had a knack for drawing the foul; he was active, creative, and hard-nosed; he was a tremendous 3 point shooter .. shooting a whopping 56.8% .. and he hit big 3s; and he made big plays - see the blocks in the NCAA tourney.

Coach Self is a coach too that will play through a player .. see Cole in 2009-10.

I would play through Williams if I had him.

In the Duke game, neither Plumlee was in foul trouble .. one had one foul, the other had three (one on Williams). I agree both Plumlees are overrated.

I just think it's unfair to try to diminish what Williams did this season. He could do it all. Shoot, rebound, handle the ball, and make his teammates better. But most of all, he was one of the few players this season that could just dominate a game.

What kind of pro will he be? I'd be willing to bet in 5 years he'll be better than either of the Morrises and it won't be a debate. But I have no idea if his college dominance will translate to being all star caliber. As you can tell, though, I was way impressed with him.

In an ironic twist, he was a 3 star guy coming out ........

jaybate 9 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I watched and because I did I agree with Kieff.

Williams has one great strength that far exceeds anyone else at his position--trifectation. If you want a trey shooter at the 4, or 5, Williams is the man.

But outside trey shooting, I prefer Marcus game on both ends of the floor.

And I think Kieff is coming on strong and will get much better the next two seasons.

Williams is maxed.

If the NBA truly drafts bigs on ceiling, Williams is at his.

I would rather have Marcus in college. In the NBA, I would rather have Kieff two years out.

3 fouls was trouble on Plumlee.

Not trying to diminish Williams. I'm trying to describe him as he appeared to me. I may be wrong, but the unfair charge does not apply.

He appeared to me as not much more capable than Marcus, or Kieff in any way except trey shooting. I believe this is what Kieff was saying. This is what I was agreeing with Kieff about.

How is this?

If Self had had just Marcus, or just Kieff, and had played through just one of them all season the way Miller played through Williams, I think their numbers would have matched Williams but for the trey shooting.

As I think about it, Williams played kind of like Wayne Simien did at KU. Because of thin talent, Self and Sean played through Simien and Williams, respectively. They had very good final seasons. They were both physically mature and strong. They were strong enough to have MUAs that let the coaches play through them. But they were both as good as they were going to get.

Williams did not seem to make his teammates better any more than Simien did. He seemed to carry them to me the way Wayne carried his team. Derrick was their team, as Simien was his, though Simien probably had a bit more talent on his team than Williams did no his.

A lot of persons thought Simien would play along time in the NBA without his injury. I never thought so, even before the injury. He was a tweener. He would have stuck several more years, but there was not an NBA star in Wayne, or even a starter, and I don't believe there is star in Derrick Williams, though with his trey, he could be a starter.

What Derrick has that will keep in him in the L is that trey of his.

And that trey of Kieff's is what will keep Kieff in the L, too.

And the lack of a trey is what will prevent Marcus from sticking, unless he either gets a trey, or he revamps his game to become a defending and rebounding specialist like, say, Dennis Rodman.

But in Derrick and Kieff, we are looking at a couple of potential Robert Horry types. Tall guys that can hang on a lot of years playing good D and knocking down treys on a team with a strong rebounding center.

But no, I don't see Derrick as sharply better than Marcus, or Kieff.

And I don't see Williams having a sharply better and longer career than Kieff.

I could be wrong, but I am not trying to be unfair.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

I just saw one of the few guys that could take over a game. Not sure Marcus ever did that, or Kieff.

Interesting comparison to Horry.

Greg McKean 9 years, 2 months ago

Let's see ..... Williams DIDN'T waist his freshman year because of immaturity and inability to listen to the coaches, failed in his last 2 years of college to reach the Final Four when a #1 seed, never been kicked out of a game, doesn't make stupid comments, didn't leave the court in his 2 years of the NCAA's crying - NO Markeiff, You and your brother did that!

He's a guy that lead his team to the Elite Eight by putting up 32 against Duke when they needed it, he is a potential #1 pick (as a sophomore) that is not whiney and immature when things don't go his way, he did all this without tat's, he is not a Thug

Wow I can't believe that Keiff would make such comments, like he did before the VCU game again .... how did that work out? remember VCU beating you down court on every possession in the first half, as they built their lead, let me repeat on every possession ... oh no all of that is the ref's fault, right? ...... NO LEADERSHIP .... NO CLASS ..... GOOD RIDDANCE

Steve Gantz 9 years, 2 months ago

On a day when we read Scottie Pippen say Lebron is better than MJ, I guess it's ok for 'Kieff to diss Williams.
I think Kieff and Scottie are wrong, but he does have the distinct advantage over all of us in that he played against Williams, lends a little credibility to what he's saying.

star22 9 years, 2 months ago

How can You diss the Morris twins? What is wrong with you people? Kansas Fans are really something else, he didn't have to say what he said but, thats there toughness, williams is a great player but he will not, i repeat not be a better NBA player that either Morrii. Kieff forget what these so called fans are saying, they are just stupid, we know what you can do. Never lose your edge and toughness...

Greg McKean 9 years, 2 months ago

toughness is what defined the 2008 team, hitting shots, playing solid defense, playing ugly against Davidson but still winning, NOT GETTING BEAT DOWN COURT, taking in to teams (like UNC), coming back from 10 against Memphis , etc.....

how do the twins have toughness? their cheap playground chatter and poor behavior does nothing but embarrass KU, ask VCU about their toughness?

Jayhawklegacy 9 years, 2 months ago

Williams is on another level!!! I could see maybe the twins being on that same level someday, but not right now! You can even ask coach self and all the other coaches in the ncaa's this year about Williams. They will all say the same thing, he is at a higher level then the majority of the college kids!! I think Markeif is playing the hate game for no reason!

motorboatinsomnia 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm smokin' "The Kieff."

Predictions: 12 yr. NBA career.
39th all time in NBA for career rebounds. 9th all time in NBA for techincal fouls.

jayhawktalk 9 years, 2 months ago

Is DD academically eligible? I have to assume so, since no one is commenting on it, but, if not, he could be delaying his announcement until he knows. Could have been part of the issue with Duke...? If I were walking a fine line on academics, and was not sure on which side of the line I would end up, I think I would be pretty quiet about commenting on it, too.

D. Williams is a really good player, though I'm not sure he is a "great" player. He knows what he does well, and he works to his strengths. You can watch any of his games, and there is a recurring pattern - take the ball strong at the defender with the aim of getting fouled or getting a bucket. Generally, he got the benefit of the doubt from the refs, though he almost always initiated the contact with the defender by jumping square into their chest, which many times should have been a no-call or a charge. Ref's ignored verticality rules in his favor in virtually all cases, but I'm definitely not knocking him. A developing post could do himself a lot of good watching tape of Williams. Williams' strengths - quick (especially off the floor), solid ball handler, strong, aggressive, fearless, tireless, good free throw shooter.

As for his being a 3 star prospect out of high school, there are a couple other notable guys this yr that were 3 stars that did pretty well for themselves at the college level - Pullen and Fredette. I would take any of the 3 w/out having to think too much about it. I'm sure there are more, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking. It just goes to show how hard work can pay off.