Friday, May 27, 2011

Kansas O-line signee Phil Ford ineligible

Quite a fuss was made about the high number of offensive linemen the Kansas University football team signed last February. But recent developments have made adding the extra bodies look like a good move.

Thursday, Bishop Miege offensive lineman and KU signee Phil Ford confirmed to the Journal-World that he did not qualify academically and, therefore, would not join the Jayhawks this summer.

“My ACT wasn’t high enough, and I was disappointed at first,” Ford told the Journal-World. “But the coaches at KU told me to look at it as more of a temporary setback. It may not be in God’s plan for me to go there right now, but I’m just gonna go to junior college, do my thing and maybe I can end up back at KU in the future.”

It didn’t take long for Ford, 6-foot-6, 345 pounds, to find a new landing place. Ford said he would enroll at Iowa Western Community College and report to camp in late June.

“They said I’d probably be the biggest kid on the roster and that I could come in and start right away,” he said.

Ford’s future at Iowa Western marks the third time in the past six months that a connection between KU and IWCC has popped up. Before signing prep QB Brock Berglund, the KU coaching staff heavily recruited Iowa Western QB Zack Stoudt, now at Mississippi. Around the same time, Bo Adams, an offensive lineman at IWCC, committed to walk on at KU but later turned elsewhere after a couple of class credits didn’t transfer.

Ford was one of the most boisterous KU supporters in the Class of 2011, attending as many games and events as he could and even going as far as to recruit other prep players to come to Kansas with him. The loss of the versatile tackle leaves KU with five offensive linemen in the Class of 2011, including Dylan Admire, who graduated high school early and already is on campus.

Other O-linemen expected to join the Jayhawks next week are: Travis Bodenstein, 6-5, 295; Luke Luhrsen, 6-5, 275; Damon Martin, 6-5, 265; and Bryan Peters, 6-5, 305.

It remains to be seen if Ford will resurface at Kansas down the road, but, for now, that’s his goal.

“That’s definitely a possibility,” Ford said.

Asked if returning to KU was his desired outcome, Ford said, “Yes.”

Comments

minipman 3 years, 3 months ago

does that give us another scholarship to give for next year? i know we only had 13 to give for next year so having an additional one will be a big plus

Matt Tait 3 years, 3 months ago

Nope. Ford's scholie likely will be used on someone in the Class of 2011 or someone already on the roster. Juco LB Malcolm Walker came in as a walk-on but may very well be the guy who gets it. Good use of it if you ask me... Walker can flat-out play & will be on the field a lot this fall.

Maurice King 3 years, 3 months ago

Bishop Miege education is not good enough to get a minimum ACT score?

ShockHawk10 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I'm sure it was the Miege educators that dropped the ball. Dumb comment.

Geekinout 3 years, 3 months ago

Has a little something to do with it or else how was he able to sustain a certain grade point average to play football, that you'd think would correlate to ACT scores?

kckmedic 3 years, 3 months ago

A bad ACT score is more on the kid than the school. I went to Sumner Academy which is a public school in Kansas City, Kansas. It is public but every kid in the district has a chance to test in and once you're in you have to keep at least a 2.5 GPA and have no discipline problems or else you get sent to the high school that you would have gone to if you didn't go to Sumner. It is regularly in the Newsweek top 100 high schools and yet we always had people with low ACT scores. So, good schools can have kids that don't test well.

jhawk0097 3 years, 3 months ago

"Ford’s future at Iowa Western marks the third time in the past six months that a connection between KU and IWCC has popped up."

5th time. We also had offers to DT Jared Ebert and DE Lenard Williams. I'm not sure why you think it's a good move to sign kids that can't qualify.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 3 months ago

King Henry can really help with ACT Scores! He just lops off a few heads and sure enough, you get through.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 3 months ago

It's actually common practice to sign kids that can't qualify. Some coaches get bonuses for having an x # ranked class. However, this couldn't have been the case, because Ford is not that good.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

More specifically, "What is the cost/benefit of offering Ford if he wasn't already assured of qualifying?"

Let's see, a local kid has his heart set on attending the local school and works his butt off (literally and figuratively - Didn't he trim down significantly from a weight of 345 in order to get offered?) in order to receive an offer (last summer, not late in the signing period) and then proceeded to talk up the program for months prior to signing in February.

The fact that he is questionable allows the coaches to talk about schollies to preferred walk-ons. How many did we get to commit to this program that was going to lose all the recruits last fall when we were performing so badly?

Even the inelligibility can be beneficial. Ford was considered a project, so this just gives him that much more PT to develop. While he's at IWCC, our coaches and his friends on the team can easily stay in contact with him so that he can stay motivated and continue his on-campus recruiting.

There is an old saying that says "All things can work together for good..." Stay focused Phil, and we'll see you in a couple years.

jhox 3 years, 3 months ago

There should be quite a few former USC recruits on the market now. With a little luck, maybe we can pick up one of those guys.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 3 months ago

+1 Particularly a D lineman! Good luck Phil!

Nutflush21 3 years, 3 months ago

Too bad he didnt land at a Kansas JuCo close to home (Butler, Coffeyville and Indy come to mind) so our staff could keep better tabs on him. I would hate to end up losing him to a Big 10 school if he develops nicely over the next couple of years.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

Is IWCC farther away from KC and Lawrence than the KS JC's?

Should be a short hop up I-35.

Hawk007 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like he should have been studying or practicing ACT tests instead of attending so many KU games.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

Give the kid a break! Phil you go do your time in JUCO. Trust me most of us want you back! You were a huge voice and excellent team motivated guy! Don't let a few small voices speak for the mass. Anytime we have an in-state kid with the passion that you have for KU and YOUR school we want you! And trust me when I say you want to be a Jayhawk there is no better feeling in the world than saying YES I went to KU and YES I hold a degree from that institution of higher education. Good luck Phil I sure hope we here updates on your progress and you continue to keep KU as #1 for your college choice!

rolo2383 3 years, 3 months ago

If you followed him on Twitter you'd know his problem was girls . He was obsessed with them. I quit following b/c I was bored by it.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Remember when I, errrr, a friend of mine was telling you guys this guy was a few sandwiches short...from quotes he gave to errant text messages.

Turns out I'm not a car alarm, more more like a hot weather girl that you can't keep your eyes off of telling you a hurricane is coming!!!

Jason Spangler 3 years, 3 months ago

Academically ineligible for KU? I didn't even know that was possible.

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I assume you're being sarcastic.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 3 months ago

Your will be rewarded with a Degree of Ignorance by the institution of your choice for pursuing your intellectual curiosity.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

"It may not be in God’s plan for me to go there right now ..."

I wonder if it was in God's plan for him to study occasionally.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Zero humor. Besides that, "God" should always be capitalized.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

So you will not be joining my "keep god (<-- weird iPhones fault) out of the football office" campaign?

TwistedFish31 3 years, 3 months ago

We will not be joining the "keep mary off of the ledge" campaign. Go ahead...jump mary.

John Randall 3 years, 3 months ago

So should Great Spirit, unless you mean locker room camaraderie. Maybe the kid thought HCTG was referring to the god of entrance exams?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Why do you insist on kicking a kid when he's down? I just don't understand the sadistic behavior of some people who derive pleasure out of other peoples' misery.

tampajhawk1 3 years, 3 months ago

It's easy to be a big man hiding anonymously behind a keyboard. Pathetic.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Man are we getting over sensitive on the censors? It's common knowledge that if somebody, anybody, that doesn't pass their act's might have difficulty reading.

As for this guy coming on a live chat saying things like "can't wait to play ou" "own the big 12" and yes "national championship" but can't take care of things in the classroom. . .Son if you're going to talk, make sure you can back it up.

kujayhox 3 years, 3 months ago

hey, in a year or two if this guy can get in and maybe get in even better playing shape and come back and show why he was recruited in the first place, i say that is great. but now with a free scholly, maybe we can get a d-line man in here next year.