Friday, May 27, 2011

Kansas O-line signee Phil Ford ineligible

Quite a fuss was made about the high number of offensive linemen the Kansas University football team signed last February. But recent developments have made adding the extra bodies look like a good move.

Thursday, Bishop Miege offensive lineman and KU signee Phil Ford confirmed to the Journal-World that he did not qualify academically and, therefore, would not join the Jayhawks this summer.

“My ACT wasn’t high enough, and I was disappointed at first,” Ford told the Journal-World. “But the coaches at KU told me to look at it as more of a temporary setback. It may not be in God’s plan for me to go there right now, but I’m just gonna go to junior college, do my thing and maybe I can end up back at KU in the future.”

It didn’t take long for Ford, 6-foot-6, 345 pounds, to find a new landing place. Ford said he would enroll at Iowa Western Community College and report to camp in late June.

“They said I’d probably be the biggest kid on the roster and that I could come in and start right away,” he said.

Ford’s future at Iowa Western marks the third time in the past six months that a connection between KU and IWCC has popped up. Before signing prep QB Brock Berglund, the KU coaching staff heavily recruited Iowa Western QB Zack Stoudt, now at Mississippi. Around the same time, Bo Adams, an offensive lineman at IWCC, committed to walk on at KU but later turned elsewhere after a couple of class credits didn’t transfer.

Ford was one of the most boisterous KU supporters in the Class of 2011, attending as many games and events as he could and even going as far as to recruit other prep players to come to Kansas with him. The loss of the versatile tackle leaves KU with five offensive linemen in the Class of 2011, including Dylan Admire, who graduated high school early and already is on campus.

Other O-linemen expected to join the Jayhawks next week are: Travis Bodenstein, 6-5, 295; Luke Luhrsen, 6-5, 275; Damon Martin, 6-5, 265; and Bryan Peters, 6-5, 305.

It remains to be seen if Ford will resurface at Kansas down the road, but, for now, that’s his goal.

“That’s definitely a possibility,” Ford said.

Asked if returning to KU was his desired outcome, Ford said, “Yes.”

Comments

kujayhox 2 years, 10 months ago

hey, in a year or two if this guy can get in and maybe get in even better playing shape and come back and show why he was recruited in the first place, i say that is great. but now with a free scholly, maybe we can get a d-line man in here next year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Man are we getting over sensitive on the censors? It's common knowledge that if somebody, anybody, that doesn't pass their act's might have difficulty reading.

As for this guy coming on a live chat saying things like "can't wait to play ou" "own the big 12" and yes "national championship" but can't take care of things in the classroom. . .Son if you're going to talk, make sure you can back it up.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Fortesque Beagleton 2 years, 11 months ago

I just want to make sure here, but when I was in school you could start taking the ACT as early as you wanted, but in reality only a few juniors take it, then mostly seniors. But even then as a senior you could take it as many times as you wanted to. I took it twice, studied like hell for the second time around and got the same score - second highest in my class. Is there a rule or something that athletes don't have the option to retake the test? If he bombed it why not get some help and then retake it? Hopefully he didn't wait till the last available test date to take it the first time. I'm sad he didn't make it in, but I know that he was relentless at selling the program to fellow recruits. Hopefully he can develop academically and physically and rejoin the team in a couple of years.

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

"It may not be in God’s plan for me to go there right now ..."

I wonder if it was in God's plan for him to study occasionally.

Wickedson 2 years, 11 months ago

Academically ineligible for KU? I didn't even know that was possible.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Remember when I, errrr, a friend of mine was telling you guys this guy was a few sandwiches short...from quotes he gave to errant text messages.

Turns out I'm not a car alarm, more more like a hot weather girl that you can't keep your eyes off of telling you a hurricane is coming!!!

Hawk007 2 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like he should have been studying or practicing ACT tests instead of attending so many KU games.

Nutflush21 2 years, 11 months ago

Too bad he didnt land at a Kansas JuCo close to home (Butler, Coffeyville and Indy come to mind) so our staff could keep better tabs on him. I would hate to end up losing him to a Big 10 school if he develops nicely over the next couple of years.

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

There should be quite a few former USC recruits on the market now. With a little luck, maybe we can pick up one of those guys.

jhawk0097 2 years, 11 months ago

"Ford’s future at Iowa Western marks the third time in the past six months that a connection between KU and IWCC has popped up."

5th time. We also had offers to DT Jared Ebert and DE Lenard Williams. I'm not sure why you think it's a good move to sign kids that can't qualify.

kcblkscorpion 2 years, 11 months ago

Bishop Miege education is not good enough to get a minimum ACT score?

minipman 2 years, 11 months ago

does that give us another scholarship to give for next year? i know we only had 13 to give for next year so having an additional one will be a big plus