Friday, May 27, 2011

Josh Selby seeks to prove he ‘deserves’ shot

Former Kansas guard proves he’s healthy with 42-inch vertical leap

Kansas guard Josh Selby pounds his chest after hitting a three-pointer against Texas A&M during the first half on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University combo guard Josh Selby, who worked out for the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday and Indiana Pacers on Thursday, has taken a humble, low-key approach into a month’s worth of individual drills with NBA teams.

“The biggest thing I need to show is I deserve to be here like everyone else,” Selby told nba.com after Thursday’s workout with Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson, Villanova’s Corey Fisher, Richmond’s Justin Harper, Michigan’s Darius Morris and Georgetown’s Chris Wright in Indianapolis.

“People were questioning me because of what happened at Kansas. I need to show what happened at Kansas wasn’t the real me. I was going through things, of course the injury (to foot) and suspension (nine games to start season). I’m just trying to showcase my game.”

Selby, who averaged 7.9 points, 2.2 assists and 2.2 rebounds a game during his freshman season, is completely healthy now. He showed that by recording an amazing vertical leap of 42 inches at last week’s NBA combine.

“At Kansas I was about 75, 80 percent. Now I’m 110 percent. It’s a big difference. I didn’t know I’d be suspended nine games. My first game was a great game,” Selby said of a 21-point outing versus USC. “After that, I didn’t know I’d have an injury. It pushed me back farther than I wanted to be. I’m just glad to be back.”

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford believes Selby will be selected No. 17 overall by the New York Knicks in the June 23 Draft. Draftexpress.com has Selby as the the first pick of the second round by Miami. The Pacers have the No. 15 pick in Round One, the Timberwolves Nos. 2 and 20.

“I can score. I will compete. I will play hard. No matter if I am shooting bad or shooting good, I will compete the same,” Selby said. “I am never going to lower my level of competitiveness.”

He said he isn’t quite sure where he’s projected to play in the NBA.

“I don’t know what they are thinking,” he said of NBA officials who grouped him with shooting guards at the NBA combine. “They ask me what I think my position is. I tell them right now I’m a combo guard and I just go from there.”

Comments

duanep5ku 3 years, 5 months ago

I only wish that Kansas fans could have seen the best of Josh Selby, when you were here because it would have been awesome to see. Oh, well time to move on for Kansas and you Josh and if you do make the 1st round great job and best of luck to you.

Ben Kane 3 years, 5 months ago

I wish it could have gone differently at kansas. I will never forget that usc game. best of luck to you Josh.

jayhawks25 3 years, 5 months ago

If you were going through all that like he said why not stay another year and show the world what he's got in college. Honestly, I most admire the guys who stay for 3 to 4 years. But, what are we going to do. Good luck Josh! ~Rock Chalk

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess that we have no choice but to move on as Josh did. Good luck Josh!

kranny 3 years, 5 months ago

Because he can go to the NBA and make a lot of money and live his dream. He was one and done regardless of what happened his freshman year. Good luck Josh

Andrew Dunlap 3 years, 5 months ago

Selby did the right thing for himself, which by the way, was best for KU. Considering his upbringing and socio-economic situation, he needs to make money with his talent, just as any of us would desire. Good Luck, Selby hope you have a fantastic NBA career!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 5 months ago

I can't criticize Selby for wanting to take care of business. I admire a guy who wants to take care of his Mom, especially given the hard times he had growing up . Good luck Josh.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 5 months ago

42" verticle....... Those new Nike Springs are amazing!

ShockHawk10 3 years, 5 months ago

This kid is clueless! He attempted to use Kansas as a springboard to the NBA. When it blew up in his face, he still declared for the draft. I don't know who his advisors are, but I hope he's not paying them much. And for all of you wishing him luck, I second that. Good luck Josh... You're going to need it.

jc1306 3 years, 5 months ago

Huh, clueless? It sounds like he's going to be a lottery pick and earn millions of dollars. It looks to me like his advisors have done a good job. Blew up in his face? That would imply his springboard tactic didn't work, looks like he's flying high right now.

I don't think Josh ever tried to hide his intentions. Don't be bitter because he had some unforseen circumstances arriving at KU that limited his effectiveness for us.

Nutflush21 3 years, 5 months ago

"I think it stinks too that we didn't get the best of Josh Selby, but I also understand it wasn't his fault. I hope he does great, it looks like he's on his way."

This should be the first comment after every Josh Selby article. The haters out there are pathetic. Had it not been for the NBA's dumb rule, Josh would have never been at Kansas. It's just unfortunate we only got to see a glimpse of the player that he is.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 5 months ago

"Huh, clueless? It sounds like he's going to be a lottery pick and earn millions of dollars"

Can you please share withe the board the source that indicates that Selby will be a lottery pick? The highest I have seen him is 17 (this arcticle) and last time I checked, that is not a lottery pick.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 5 months ago

ShockHawk10 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't see Selby as an NBA lottery pick. He only has a chance because this is the weakest draft in a long time. I see the D-League in his future. If you don't think he would have benefited from another year or two at KU, then you may be as clueless as I believe Selby is. In addition, I don't believe his suspension was an "unforseen circumstance". And yes, I am aware he had a couple of unfortunate injuries. However, he came in with the mindset that he was bigger than the program, and that led to his ineffectiveness save a few games. I do not support the recruiting of "one and done" players. Selby is a prime example of bringing in a kid whose sights are set on the NBA and not on winning at the college level. He never developed into the star player he was supposed to be, and that is unfortunate for the Kansas basketball program and its fans. I will take a Tyrell Reed over a Josh Selby any day of the week. No bitterness here, just disappointment.

Sam Constance 3 years, 4 months ago

"However, he came in with the mindset that he was bigger than the program"

I keep seeing clueless comments like this, and I keep asking for examples of behavior that would support such a claim, but I never seem to see any.

Selby was a competitor and clearly wanted to win games, regardless of what level it was at. I think it's stupid to fault him for having his sights on the NBA, as long as he works hard is a good team player in college.

He was both of those things for KU.

Selby's on-court struggles down the stretch are fair game. But I just don't understand all the BS from certain KU fans about Selby's supposed attitude. There is just no support to said claims whatsoever.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

I only see one person here that is clueless, and it isn't Josh Selby. Advisors??? lmao

How did it blow up in his face when he accomplished his goal of getting to the NBA? Looks to me like his plan worked just fine. Let's be honest: Selby would have already played his rookie year in the NBA if it wasn't for that stupid "1 year of college" rule, which is probably why teams are willing to take the risk of drafting him.

ShockHawk10 3 years, 5 months ago

See above. As a proud graduate of KU and an avid supporter of KU athletics, my main concern is for the well being of the program and not the professional dreams of individual players. I agree that the one year of college rule is "stupid". These one year players can have a positive impact on college programs, or they can cause significant damage by taking a spot from a kid who would pour their heart into making the team better. If Selby is selected in the lottery, that's great for him, but it does nothing for the KU basketball program other than attract similar players. Is this a good thing? I say no. I guess we have a 50-50 shot.

ShockHawk10 3 years, 5 months ago

I graduated from KU in 2004 and Wichita State in 2010. I support both programs. I wanted the best for Selby, and I believe that his return to the program would have been the best for him and KU. What this comes down to is a difference of opinion. If he is selected in the lottery, FANTASTIC! However, I believe this was the wrong decision for him, for KU, and for us fans of KU basketball. BTW... I believe we did see the true Josh. OH NO! I expressed another opinion. I guess this is the wrong forum for that.

Robert Brock 3 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, a big danger in "One and Done" is that neither party may get much out of the One.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

Most insightfully succinct comment on the Selby situation I have seen.

jayhwkr77 3 years, 5 months ago

shockhawk you're one of those morons on here with nothing but spite for josh selby because it didn't work out like we thought it would. don't be so bitter about it and hope for the best for him.

god for bid he's going to try to make a lot of money and support his family i know that's an incredible bad thing for a 19 year old from the hood to do. be thankful that he came to KU and will now represent the university at the next level, and will help self's future recruiting in the process.

ShockHawk10 3 years, 5 months ago

WOW! Name calling. A true sign of intelligence. Also, your borderline racist "from the hood" comment doesn't add to your credibility. I harbor no "spite" for Josh Selby. I believe he made the wrong decision, that's all. It's the same way I feel about your post.

justinryman 3 years, 5 months ago

Prove all the haters wrong Josh.

Go get yours and enjoy the ride.

I can not hate on the kid, it is not his fault they have the stupid rule. I hate the rule on the one and donnas. And yes kids are going to pick a high profile school to get their one year in, more TV games, more chances for Sports Center highlights and more headlines.

It's a bad rule that needs, no has to be changed, or it will ruin the college game and put the NBA on a lower level. Maybe this next CBA with the NBA will get it right, then again I'm not holding my breath.

tis4tim 3 years, 5 months ago

Josh's having success in the NBA can only help Kansas, so it makes sense to support his efforts. Alas, I understand the true definition of the word "fan", so I know that calling oneself such exempts one from logic in situations such as these.

A few years from now, few will remember or even care about the circumstances surrounding Josh's time at KU. All they will see is a 6'2" dynamo on the court and "College: Kansas" on his stat sheet.

justanotherfan 3 years, 5 months ago

Remember this about Selby...

He was ranked #1 by Rivals. The guy that is #1 on most everyone's draft board is Kyrie Irving. The #3 PG in the class was Brandon Knight. Rivals had Selby (1), Irving (4), Knight (6). ESPN had Irving (3), Knight (4), Selby (5). Scout had Irving (2), Selby (5), Knight (6).

Only one of those guys was healthy all of last season, and he was widely considered the third best player of the group.

My point is this. If Selby is completely healthy (and all reports say he is), then when teams start evaluating him against Irving and Knight (both considered top 5 picks currently) they may just discover that he is comparable to, or superior to one or both of them.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Superior. I saw Irving healthy and Josh could take him. Knight? Not close. Josh is the best of this group. I think he may go higher than the Twins, once all BS stops and the picking starts. DRose and John Wall proved to me how badly NBA GMs want top point guards. Josh is as good as Wall. Maybe a hair shy of Rose. But he is more explosive than Rose and much tougher than Wall.

For any GMs with self confidence, Selby will be worth picking in the first seven spots, though most of the smart, self-confident GMs have better teams and tend to pick from ten or below in the draft, so Josh should go ten or below.

Ian Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry, Jaybate, but you must really be blinded by the fact that Josh Selby once wore a Kansas jersey (well, I guess he wore one more like two or three times during the 10-11 season.) I will give you Brandon Knight; I agree that Selby was and is a better player than him, and is certainly more explosive. With that said, you must be nuts to think Selby is superior to Irving. When Irving was healthy, he was easily one of the top 5 players in all of college basketball. Josh Selby? Not even top 20. Selby had one good game, and perhaps two decent ones. Irving played outstanding in nearly every game he played before he was injured, and was still more solid than healthy Selby when he came back during the tournament after being injured for several months.

And come on, Jay. A "hair shy of Rose" and "more explosive." That is absolutely absurd. I can't stand Rose--haven't been able to like him ever since he committed to play for Calimari. But he is a GREAT basketball player, and is one of the most explosive in the League outside of LeBron, DWade, and a few others. I don't know, maybe you haven't watched the reigning NBA MVP play since he left Memphis (where he was already far superior to Selby is now), but the guy is incredible.

If I was a betting man, I would put down an extremely large sum of money that says Selby will NEVER even come close to winning an MVP award, and he will NEVER be considered a GREAT NBA player. I'm not saying we won't be a good player in the League, but I am saying that he will never win an MVP award. On the other hand, Rose just became the youngest player to win the award, and I doubt it will be his last. Selby is no where near DRose's level, and never will be.

Your KU bias and Calimari hatred was a little too transparent with those statements, Jay. Anyhow, I ordinarily enjoy, and agree with, most of what you contribute to kusports. Not this though, buddy. Not even close.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

"When Irving was healthy, he was easily one of the top 5 players in all of college basketball."

Personally, I think any assertion that Irving was a top 5 player in all of college basketball is foolishness at worst, and marginally-supported hype at best. I can name five off the top of my head who were better: Marcus Morris, Jared Sullinger, Kemba Walker, Derrick Williams, Jordan Hamilton. Also probably "better": Jimmer Fredette, Ben Hansbrough, Harrison Barnes...

Worth noting:

Irving and Selby both played in limited number of games at full-health and Irving got the benefit of having the pre-season to acclimate to playing with his teammates. A luxury that Selby was denied by the NCAA. Irving also got the benefit of the NCAA coverage hype-machine that is the ACC/BE-tilted media. Irving had a great debut for an ESPN fave (Duke) at the beginning of the season when analysts and writers are trying to find the 'big stories' for the year. Selby had a great debut that went by quietly for the national media, especially in relation to the hullabaloo that went on for Irving after his debut.

Interestingly enough, they do have a common opponent in Miami (OH). Here are their stat lines (per minute stats in parenthesis):

MINUTES Selby: 25 Irving: 19

POINTS Selby: 18 (0.72) Irving: 13 (0.68)

ASSISTS Selby: 5 (0.20) Irving: 2 (0.11)

REBOUNDS Selby: 7 (0.28) Irving: 5 (0.26)

STEALS Selby: 1 (0.04) Irving: 2 (0.11)

FGS Selby: 7/12 (58.3%) Irving: 3/4 (75%)

3PTS Selby: 4/5 (80%) Irving: 1/2 (50%)

In other words, in spite of the small sample size, the most accurate anecdotal evidence we have to directly compare the two players (besides the recruiting rankings which jaybate already cited) shows Selby as Irving's equal or possible superior. It's certainly close enough for a case to be made.

I think a large difference in the post-2011 season reputations of Irving and Selby can be traced back to circumstance and situation, rather than actual ability.

WilburNether 3 years, 5 months ago

"Josh is as good as Wall."

Too ludicrous to require further comment.

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 5 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking. Is jaybate high????? Selby is almost as good as Rose (the MVP of the NBA). HAHAHA hilarious!!!

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

I like Josh.

He is going to be great.

The year of struggles at KU may have made him better than he ever would have been without them.

Great persons turn adversity to their advantage.

Josh is doing that right now.

I suspect the deal has been wired for him to go to the Knicks for some time. Walsh is a great judge of talent, one of only a handful of NBA execs/GMs that know enough to pour pee out of a Borsalino.

Walsh knows Josh is huge. And Walsh has to know the connection between Melo and Josh could be a foundational positive for developing Josh, for fitting him into a situation where the team will look after him, because Melo is the cornerstone of the team. It is a great fit for Josh, if someone else doesn't take him before the Knicks do. Josh could juice Melo. And Melo could mentor the kid, and thereby finally grow up himself.

KU fans have to show their hoops IQ here, which they have more of than any other two Maybach program fan bases combined.

Josh had some bad breaks at KU. Plus Self couldn't logically turn the point over to him for a season and enter this coming season without a trained point. The smart play for program continuity was the play Self made. If Josh had been a bit less TO prone, or if Josh had been willing to commit to two seasons, or maybe if he hadn't been suspended for so long, it would have made sense to put him at the point, but there was no certainty that he would ever get off suspension. Self had to nail down the point and play around his uncertainty. Self had to craft a slot for him that he could step into if he got green lighted to play, or that Self could fill with other players if he did not. Then the injury kicked in. That's all that happened.

There is no question in my mind that Josh Selby is a monster talent, a guy who will be a starter in the NBA within two years.

Go, Josh, go!

And come back to Lawrence after you make it big.

You will find that it is a great town and that you will be accepted as one of the guys.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Greatness often triggers unpredictable paths and encounters problems lesser players do not.

KU has learned that long ago, because of all the great players that have played here.

I believe in you, Josh.

And I believe you will see one day that, if you had to go through a very difficult patch of your life, and everyone does sooner or later, KU was a great, safe and nurturing place to be, while you struggled.

Some coaches would have flushed you, when you were suspended as long as you were. Not Self.

Some coaches would have flushed you, when you were injured down the stretch, thereby not letting you at least prove how tough you were. Not Self.

Some coaches would have blown smoke up your trailer about how your TOs did not matter. Not Self.

Some coaches would not have give you an unqualified thumbs up, when the GMs asked, as Self has appeared to have done for you.

Some university town newspapers would not have tried to do stories about you now in hopes of smoothing over fans hurt feelings and helping you stay connected to the program, as the LJW has done here.

Self and KU were very good to you during your time of great trial and trouble. They took you in, when you were goods damaged by a family friend's cash contributions, by NCAA inquiry, and by association with Bruce Perle and his imploding career.

You were a part of one of KU's most beloved and surprising teams.

On your Wiki page it will read that you were on a KU team that won 34 games.

Every player on that team was vital to that team.

You were one of the players.

I will miss your explosivness with the ball and your grit at playing with a boot on.

I will miss your willingness to play out of position for the good of a team in the hunt for a ring.

You didn't have a great season, but you helped the team; of that there is no doubt.

Thanks.

And good luck.

And see you back in Lawrence after you conquer the NBA.

Wilt came back.

So should you.

Selbyville 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you on Josh. Having been mesmerized by his one on one breakdown talent coming out of high school, I'm on board with the Wall and Rose comparisons. However, Rose turned out to be a dream of a pick, whereas I don't see Josh being an MVP in his first three years. He reminds me a lot of Monta Ellis and OJ Mayo.

I'm as sour with his lone year at KU as anyone else, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that he was going to be a OAD, and I'm not oblivious to the fact that $hit happens, so I'm not going to be like the many losers on here that take shots at him.

Josh will go down as one of my all time favorite hawks, but it certainly won't be for his time at Kansas, it will be because I feel that he is the next biggest pro out of KU since Paul Pierce, and that he will make us all very proud to say that he spent a year at our school

Good luck Josh,

your pal, Selbyville

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

We need every Jayhawk NBA success story that we can get, so Josh...go get 'em!!!

FreddyinLA 3 years, 5 months ago

I’ll take Selby over Wall, hands down, every time. The keys to the 2010-11 Jayhawks should have been handed to Selby the day he signed with KU, even with the looming suspension. Huge mistake by Self.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Whaaaat? Is that a joke? You expected Self to hand the keys of a fancy sports car like KU over to an unproven freshman driver? That's laughable. KU would have lost way more than 3 games. And why would we want an injured, unproven freshman running the team? That's just a terrible idea.

There's a reason why Self is the coach and you're just a complainer on a discussion board. You should defer to the guy that has won a National Championship.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 5 months ago

The whole mindset of the team would have been different with someone as driven as Selby at point. We would have least beaten VCU, then Butler.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

That's pure speculation! Tyshawn was playing as well as he ever has at the end of the season and Selby was only at 80%. It would've made absolutely no sense to try to have an injured, unproven freshman try to carry the team. You can't blame Self for being rational.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

I would also add that it was hard enough for Self to justify giving Selby any minutes at all after the injury, let alone making him the starting PG and having him run the team. IMO Selby played far more than he deserved after the injury. The reason why is because Self was trying his best to help Selby get to the NBA, which appears to have been a pretty good strategy.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 5 months ago

They need to change the minimum NBA age to 21. Everybody wins, period.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Self favors the MLB rule which is better: you can go to the draft out of high school, but if you choose to go to college, you cannot declare until after your junior year or until you turn 21.

That's the most fair option for everyone involved.

martyks 3 years, 5 months ago

Sorry to rain on the Josh Selby parade, but please. He was a big disappointment for the Jayhawks. Simply put, he did not deliver. Injuries, yes, but he could have come back another year, especially after all the time and effort our coaching staff put in to recruit him and teach him basketball. Did he owe KU anything? I think the answer is yes. He talked the talk, and that's all he did. I think Bill Self had to be more than angry when he received a call from Josh's mommy to let the coach know he would not return. That is really where I feel he let KU down. He proved, with that one childish move, that he was not mature enough to be a Jayhawk. Whether or not he grows up in the NBA, or plays up to his potential, he will never erase the fact that he was the most hyped/biggest disappointment that the Jayhawks have ever had. Try to name someone who disappointed KU more.

Sure, good luck to you, Josh, but please don't come back to KU and expect us to applaud your introduction at some Late Night or important game. We don't need you any more than you need us. Maybe you could have your mother do that.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

Fans like you are a disgrace to Jayhawk nation.

Was he disappointing? Yes. In fact, it should be clear to anyone who follows KU basketball that Josh himself was disappointed in how the season played out, because a competitive guy like him certainly wanted to give KU more than he did.

But when you throw garbage out there about him only "talking the talk", I have to question what the hell you are talking about or whether you watched the season at all.

When he was in games, he hustled, played aggressive (but freshman, occasionally mistake-ridden) defense and worked hard. He never took plays off or looked like he was dogging it. He dove on the floor for loose balls. He played hard. When things turned sour, he didn't complain, but continued to be a model teammate and deferred to the established leaders (who I think most would agree were the Morris twins) when appropriate. He never sulked or acted like people should feel sorry for him because he wasn't getting the playing time that a #1 recruit supposedly "deserves". To me, that qualifies as "walking the walk".

Should he have handled his departure better than having his mother call Coach Self? If that report is true, then yes. But again, he's an 18-year-old kid. Sometimes I think fans have absolutely NO perspective on remembering what it's like to be at that point in your life and how responsible you were. Not to mention doing that under the glare of the lights at a place where there is so much scrutiny, like Kansas. But hey, that's perfectly reasonable to judge the guy's entire time here based on that one decision!

If you can't applaud Josh for what he gave to the KU program, all because you aren't happy with the results, then I would say that WE (the rest of the KU faithful) don't need YOU at all.

To answer your question, I think Lester Earl was easily a bigger disappointment at KU than Selby.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm not even going to dignify this question with a full response.

Time and effort. If you need more detail than that, you clearly have no concept of how arduous it is to be a college athlete, especially one for a team as high-profile as Kansas basketball.

I'm so tired of fans who act like Kansas basketball and its student-athletes are here for the sole purpose of serving at the pleasure of the fans.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

Minus unnecessarily taking a shot at Lester Earl or any other former Jayhawks, from your comments on his hustle and attitude to your mention that things should have been handled differently at the end, your post almost perfectly sums up my thoughts on Selby. His mistakes are no more than I would expect from any maturing kid.

He genuinely seemed and continues to seem like an all around pretty good guy, regardless of whether or not he parted the seas and led KU to the promised land (or stayed until it happened). I have nothing but best wishes for Josh, and hope he is incredibly successful at the next level.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

FreddyinLA: Selby over Wall? Hmmm. That limb might be pretty thin. And I agreed with your opinion in December .. if Selby's the man, make him the man and give the team time to adjust. It might cost us some games, but the end product would be better. Not sure whether that would have ended up being the right approach, but we didn't win the title the other way.

PikePeak: How about letting them turn pro after high school only if they have not signed a letter of intent, and having to declare by April 10 at the latest. If not, then they have to wait until 21. That way, colleges don't get screwed, kids can make a living if they are able to, but once they make the commitment, they wait. Add to it a provision that if the head coach leaves between the signing of the LOI and the first game of the kids first season, the kid is automatically released from the LOI.

justanotherfan: If your suggestion is correct, why is Mr. Ford the only one that has him in the top 25 of the draft? Meaning, if he has (or does) compete(d) in these predraft camps vs. Knight and Irving, and is better, won't he move into the top 10? If he is that good, then he'll move up fast. I watched both Irving and Knight play and I never saw Selby look as good as either of them, even the USC game.

I saw someone call Selby "clueless" above -- this is clearly a situation where that answer will only come on draft night. If the guy is drafted in the first round and gets that guaranteed contract, the "clueless" level goes down .. way down. We'll never know if another year or two at KU would have increased his draft stock and potentially his NBA longevity and earning power. Many .. including me .. are just disappointed in the flame-out this season. One more season could have cured those disappointments.

My prior speculation was that the injury thing was spun a bit more serious to aid Selby in his draft pursuits, and as a bit of cover for Self's decision to go with other guys over Selby (so as to not hurt with other top recruits down the road). Pure speculation.

I'm just not sure where I fall on the Selby thing now ... but I'm sure I agree with Oakville. More Jayhawks succeeding in the NBA is a good thing (as long as Selby doesn't say he wants to forget about Kansas again ...)

FreddyinLA 3 years, 5 months ago

Selby can hit the 3 ball and has a 42 in vert. Wall has neither. I would love to see Selby vs. Irving against each other for the NBA scouts. Irving would look real slow. Won’t happen though, Irving has nothing to gain.

HEM, alway enjoy your insight.

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

I think he would have been better off "proving he deserves a shot" by sticking arund another year to show what he could do in college. We never saw his potential at KU.....a few brief moments but not much.

Well Josh.....we barely knew you. Good luck, I guess.....whatever. I doubt you will think about KU much in the future.....and I doubt we will think of you.

Yawn.

Selbyville 3 years, 5 months ago

He knows how good he is, now all the NBA GM's know too, it was the right move for him to go

tauck 3 years, 5 months ago

Good luck to Josh I for one am getting sick real quick of these one and dones. Maybe the worst rule ever implemented. Move the age to 21 and be done with this mess

theend 3 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely right......or possibly require a minimum of 2 years in college

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I like Josh and wish him the best of luck but who gives a damn if he can jump pretty high. Yes it is impressive but he needs to prove he can score like he did against USC and Cal, and @ Colorado.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

cobweb 3 years, 5 months ago

Blame the stupid rules, not kids like Selby.

danno1313 3 years, 5 months ago

It would ve been nice if Ol' Josh could ve use that vertical to defend a few of those three pointers that VCU shot in. His feet appeared to be in concrete!

Just saying....

RCJHKU

Paul Hurley 3 years, 5 months ago

jaybate is a freaking idiot!! are you serious!! a hair shy of drose!?!? quicker!?!? yeah right man, i hope he does great, but lets be realistic

JayHodge24 3 years, 5 months ago

hopefully Josh u can get it done in the NBA. But this one and done rule should be changed. Either move the minimum age to learn 21 or just get rid of the rule all together. Hopefully the new collective bargaining agreement will adjust this rule. Now lets get started on a great 2012 CLASS

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, your theory--that Selby was never interested in being a Jayhawk--is false on its face.

He proved it wrong the minute he signed up to play for the Jayhawks, therefore showing that he had interest in being a Jayhawk.

And to you and all the other echo-chamber residents who keep saying that Selby was this "me first" player...please explain yourself.

I've said this previously, but it clearly needs re-saying. Selby played the role of a loyal teammate throughout a year that was clearly frustrating to him, just like it was to many KU fans. He had every opportunity to quit on the team, voice his displeasure or stop being a good teammate. But I never saw him do anything by try hard, play with effort, and be supportive of his fellow teammates. What about that says "me first" to you?

Oh wait, he's a top-caliber recruit who didn't stay a second year at KU after a disappointing season and went pro like we all thought he would do anyway.

Is that what you mean by "me first"? That he put his own livelihood and the fulfillment of his lifelong dream and career ahead of the selfish interests of a classless handful of bitter KU fans who wanted more from their star recruit?

Sorry pal, but Selby was more of a "true Jayhawk" than you or martyks will EVER be.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

So I must assume you have the same feelings about....

Wilt Chamberlain Paul Pierce Julian Wright Darrell Arthur Brandon Rush Mario Chalmers

And many others that I can't name off the top of my head. Right?

Sorry, but your opinion on who is a "true" Jayhawk seems a bit selective.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 5 months ago

well sure, he deserves a shot, but so does everyone...

I think his statement about being at 75-80% at KU and now he's 110% is a bunch of hogwash... He made twitter statements like that all the time last year only to wig out again.

Anyway Josh, hope you do better than Xavier Henry is... but I doubt it.

Trey Hohman 3 years, 5 months ago

STOP. NO MORE. CAN’T TAKE IT. He's not a point guard! It's that simple. Has anyone on this site actually watched Selby try to dribble and set up an offense?
It’s like trying to teach fly fishing to an epileptic…It’s horrible....I hate to be blunt, but he’s simply not smart enough to play PG. Certain people on this site want to keep trying to make these comparisons to Rose or Knight or Wall, but he just isn't that type of player. You put the ball in Selby's hands and force him to run any NBA offense for an entire game, and he'll be averaging 19 TO's. It's not a knock. He's just a short 2. (Like Sherron)
He mostly thrives whenever he's thinking less and reacting more, spotted-up on the wing and breaking down a slower/taller 2 guard.
From everything I've been reading about Selby/NBA Draft, the one glaring problem scouts are having with his overall game is that he's a Tweener. His size is perfect for a typical PG but his handle isn't even slightly good. But his potential skill-set at the 2 is off the charts, and this is the one constant keeping NBA scouts drooling -- but you just wish he was like, 3 inches taller. I think eventually he's going to be a fairly nice back-up 2. If he has as much success as Mario Chalmers, he should consider himself extremely lucky. Granted, his physical tools and raw talent suggest much bigger aspirations by the time he's 25-27, akin to Sam Cassel or Jason Terry, but ultimately his desire to get better will probably wane (like it did @ KU) and his dominance (or lack there-of) will ultimately translate to someone closer to Deshawn Stevenson. Aka. 20Min./gm back-up combo guard + defensive specialist.

hawks1fan 3 years, 5 months ago

i still say he's not ready but i would be impressed if he proved me wrong cause i didn't see anything this year to say that he was ready to play in the NBA

Trey Hohman 3 years, 5 months ago

He was the best player on the court during USC game. He won the game for KU vs. CAL. And had an All-American type of performance in the 1st half vs. Colorado....Then he got hurt....Got in his own way….And was never the same.

Not very mature (yet.) Might never be.

If the NBA Draft happened today, Selby would be voted “Most likely to have a gigantic neck tattoo of a Jimmy Hendricks or Malcolm X within the next 5 years.”

Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance. Don’t let the door kick you on the way out of town, boss.

Trey Hohman 3 years, 5 months ago

Ralster, You win. Josh Selby is the next Paul Pierce. In fact, the only difference between Josh Selby and Paul Pierce is that Josh Selby is a much better team leader and would look much more attractive in the color Green. Josh Selby also has far better ball-handling skills than Chris Paul and is also quicker than Rajon Rondo….All because he can jump incredibly high without anybody guarding him.

So can JR Giddens.

So could Rodrick Stewart.

So could Kenny Gregory.

So did Harold Minor of USC Fame. (Harold jumped so high they used to call him "baby Jordan.")

I forget.....What NBA teams do these guys play for again?

It makes my heart go pitter-patter to learn how much you treasure that KU/USC game. I’m sure keeping that valuable piece of memorabilia will forever serve as a sentimental reminder of Josh's mind-boggling Legacy @ KU and unmistakable eventual NBA stardom....Let's just call him Danny Manning II from here on out. Okay by you tough guy?

Sadly, Josh Selby probably doesn’t hold his USC ticket with the high esteem you feel it deserves.

Sadly, Josh Selby probably sold his USC ticket 15 minutes before tip-off.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 5 months ago

I sure hope Josh can do well in the league. Everything at KU is documented and if he can attain a good spot in the draft that will bode well for him and for KU recruting.

Kent Kossoy 3 years, 5 months ago

Amazing. I personally do not care if he does well or fails like he did at KU. I think it was a wasted scholarship that could have been used for someone who has heart to play the game. Unfortunately we seem to be moving in the direction of the one and done player. Sad because years ago I was challenged by a colleague of mine who would bitch about KU vs Duke players. And I could win the debate. Now I have a friend who constantly squawks about UNC/Roy, remember him, and even he can recruit a better quality player now. What happened to the ole Bill Self?? We were doing okay the first 6 years of his tenure. College basketball is going downhill. And with our great football program, I would say that doesn't bode well for KU. As far as I am concerned, if you took Xavier's and Selby's statistics out of the KU listing, our status would probably be elevated!!

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

"could have been used for someone who has heart to play the game."

Amazingly ridiculous. As is the entire rest of your post.

Xavier had one of the historically best freshman seasons in Kansas history, behind Danny Manning and maybe one other.

martyks 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow... an embarrassment to Jayhawk nation? I've only gone to 24 consecutive Late Nights... lol... I know, doesn't mean anything, but simply because a kid comes here doesn't make him a Jayhawk. He had people in his ear the entire time who thought he should jump to the pros from day one. He was using us to get his dream, playing in the NBA. So, good luck. But this still stands as the question. If he wasn't the most hyped, biggest disappointment in KU history, who was? That's all I'm saying. Like I say, I have watched a lot of KU players come and go. No one else, in my mind, comes close to making the top of that list.... Chenowith? He was a star compared to Josh. Givens (sp?) well, yeah, pretty much a bust, but as big of a disappointment? Sorry. So, you think Josh was so good... Name someone... just one.

chriz 3 years, 5 months ago

Gosh, it would've been nice to see Selby play the rest of the season like he did before he injured himself. I thinking it's obvious that he took it easy on himself the later part of the season. And I can't say I blame him. I really hope he does well in the NBA and I think he carried himself very well while at KU.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Best of luck and fortune to you, Josh. Please, never forget that for a brief time you were a Kansas Jayhawk. You, your team, coaches and fanbase shared some shining moments. When the dust settles and you have claimed a portion of your early hoops promise, come back home to Lawrence for occasional visits. Orchestrate another grand appearance to set The Phog to rumbling!