Friday, May 27, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook

Morris Twins try out for Houston Rockets

Kansas forwards Marcus (22) and Markieff Morris get the crowd to its feet after a bucket during the second half of KU's 72-59 win against Illinois on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.

Twins update

Former KU forwards Marcus and Markieff Morris worked out for the Houston Rockets on Tuesday.

The Rockets pick at Nos. 14 and 23 of Round One, meaning they could wind up with both of the twins.

“Yeah, I hope so,” Marcus Morris told myfoxhouston.com. “But I don’t see either one of us falling that late.”

Interviewed before the workout, they listed their goals for the day.

“Show them I’m a hard worker, versatile like everyone else knows, and I would love to be in Houston,” Marcus Morris said.

“Just be able to score the basketball more. I was a defender and a rebounder at Kansas, and I’ll continue to do that in the league,” Markieff said.

ESPN’s Chad Ford has Marcus being selected No. 11 overall by the Golden State Warriors and Markieff No. 16 by the Philadelphia 76ers. Draftexpress.com has Marcus at No. 9 to Charlotte and Markieff No. 13 to Phoenix. NBAdraft.net has Marcus No. 11 to Golden State and Markieff No. 14 to Houston.

UCLA, UNLV, Arizona and Texas.

Daniels update

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., gave a recruiting update to Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld.com on Thursday.

Kyler on Twitter reports that Daniels “backed away from Duke ... says San Diego State, Kansas and Oregon (are) on his radar.”

Notably missing from the list was Texas. It was recently reported that Daniels was down to KU, Texas and Oregon.

A source close to Daniels responded to these Twitter developments Thursday by saying, “I don’t think DeAndre has eliminated any of his finalists,” meaning Texas still would be on the list.

UCLA, UNLV, Arizona and Texas.

Shabazz has seven

Shabazz Muhammad, a 6-5 junior from Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, tells cbssports.com his list stands at seven schools: KU, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNLV, Arizona and Texas.

Rules

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday approved adding an arc three feet from the basket, inside which a defender cannot take a charge. In other rules changes, the women’s three-point line will move back a foot to 20 feet, 9, same distance the men have used since 2008-09. The terminology for fouls will be changed to match the NBA. Intentional fouls will now be called Flagrant 1 and flagrant fouls will be called Flagrant 2.

Comments

Ben Kane 9 years, 10 months ago

Double D, c'mon over to the jayhawk nation buddy, you won't regret it.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 10 months ago

A "No Charge Zone"?

What about the opposite, a "No Block Zone" but, within a 4 ft. radius?

If you institute one, the other should go along with it somehow. This is just silly!

What's next, a 2.5 pt shot arc?

James Miller 9 years, 10 months ago

I am also an NBA fan, and I think the arc works great there. I think once you get use to it, you will like it also. It is different.

Cmill1221 9 years, 10 months ago

So watch the NBA!! I can't stand watching the NBA mainly b/c the 24sec shot clock. Leave NCAA basketball alone. Don't move the 3pt line ever again, don't shorten the shot clock, and no need for the arc. Leave it alone!!!! College basketball is PERFECT!!! Don't touch it!!

lee3022 9 years, 10 months ago

Might be that you have missed some of the college calls for players jumping under the basket after the shooter has left his feet to get the charge.

Basketball is basketball but even FIBA is moving toward the NBA rules so it will be the same anywhere.

Cmill1221 9 years, 10 months ago

Basketball is not Basketball. The rules are the main factor in how the game is played. The NBA is not Basketball its closer to AND1 street ball than anything. with the three point line so far out there is little to no help defence and with the shot clock down to 17 before the first pass is made there is no time to reset the offence, sooooo they just pass the ball to the best 1v1 player on the team and let him deal with it. Its Horrible!!! if you want to fix it make the rule that the player must be set before the offensive player leaves his feet. no need for a arc.

kesmithstl1 9 years, 10 months ago

I think we should call it the Kyle Singlar rule.

Sam Constance 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm not seeing your reasoning. Why would you need a 'no block zone' just because you have a 'no charge zone'.

The point of the no charge zone is to prevent players from taking "charges" while standing directly underneath the basket. The idea being that no defender should be able to benefit by being in a position that literally has no defensive advantage (if you are defending your man while directly under the basket, your man has already done the hard part of getting close to the basket).

There is no similar situation on the other side, where an offensive player can benefit from an offensive DISadvantage. So there is no rule needed to prevent such an incongruity.

Technically, the inclusion of the arc doesn't change the rules, it just changes the tools that officials have at their disposal to enforce existing rules.

jhox 9 years, 10 months ago

I thought Shabazz was big on North Carolina. I'm surprised they're not on his list. That's a good sign.

Daniels must just like the process of being recruited, and the attention it brings. I can't think of any other reason why he would let this continue ot drag out so long.

esubrett 9 years, 10 months ago

He might be waiting to see how the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement (if it comes in time) changes the one and done rule. If they change it to match MLB's then he might look at jumping straight to the NBA. That again is under the assumption that a new agreement comes in time. And you know what happens when you assume, but then again he has already made an a$$ out of this situation.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

How about an "if you foul an opponent, refs call the foul zone"?

Ben Simonett 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow, i thought shabazz was destined for UNC, he's got the kind of game Roy Williams recruits hard. thats good news for us, although Self is still going to half to beat out slimey at UK.

Adding schools this late to the list makes me think Daniels is shopping around for the highest payday and has no loyalty to any of his finalists(no proof, just a suspicion).

John Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

Half to or have to? Too haves dont make a hole!

Ben Simonett 9 years, 10 months ago

i'm an engineer.

we does not no the english

Robert Brock 9 years, 10 months ago

Eventually the rule will equate to "don't defend your goal" a la the NBA.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

"Deandre Hypotheses Update:"

Hypothesis 1: Doesn't want to go to KU. Wants to be on a coast. Dad wants him at KU. Dad says okay, if you won't try KU, flush Duke for me and I'll compromise with you on a west coast team, where I can keep an eye on you.

Hypothesis 2: Wants to be nearer Fukushima radiation out West.

Hypothesis 3: Addicted to recruiting lubricant.

Hypothesis 4: Can't stop playing Hamlet 2.0 on his iPad.

Hypothesis 5: Driven temporarily insane by Beyonce's dance number on Oprah's 25th.

Hypothesis 6: Just not sure where he wants to go yet.

Hypothesis 7: Still waiting to see if the world is coming to an end according to some lunatic's recalculated predictions.

Hypothesis 8: Battling depression induced by realization of New World Order subordination of all G8 republics.

Hypothesis 9: Just wants some hang-time with his friends, before he signs and some workaholic coach starts running his life.

Hypothesis 10: We live in a totally random universe where there is neither cause and effect at the macro level, nor quantum probability at the sub atomic level.

(Note: All fiction. No Malice.)

Ben Simonett 9 years, 10 months ago

please tell me you don't actually subscribe to the mental derangement referenced in #8?

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

All fiction. No malice.

I am not here to teach you how the world works.

You would have to pay me to get me to do that.

And I might be wrong. :-)

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

What's the line UCLA, UNLV, Arizona and Texas have to do with either of the updates?

Has DD added four more schools out of nowhere? [although that wouldn't necessarily surprise me]

Are the Twins working out for the Lakers, the Mavericks, the Suns or the Las Vegas CBA teams?

Or is that the prediction four next year's Final Four????

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I thought it might be an anagram of some sort but all I could come up with was:

Dual Tarzan in naval sex but I couldn't fit 'uco' anywhere...

It's a mystery.

9 years, 10 months ago

Looks like a copy-pasta mistake -- "UCLA, UNLV, Arizona and Texas." is the same as the end of the sentence about where Shabazz wants to play...

Eric Bernauer 9 years, 10 months ago

Thread Hijack! I guess since this is a basketball notebook column, it is not much of a hijack. Anyway, I thought some of you other old fans might enjoy what I found this morning while looking up a Jayhawk player from the late '70s-early '80s. His name was Booty Neal and while curiosity led me to what he was doing now, I found this entry from a former student of his :

Mr. Neal was my third grade teacher. I want to contact him because I oh the man big thanks for pouring into my life before I knew I needed a role model. He gave me hope and inspired me to check back into life when I was just about done at 9 years old. He cared when there was no dad at home, and a mom who was to busy caring for my other four siblings. I just want to contact him and thank him for taking the time to encourage me. He played a major role in why today my wife and four children have a husband and father who cares.

Note: If you don’t think I know him. I remember he had a scare on his wrist and hand where he had to get a lot of stitches from dunking causing the backboard to shatter.

Impressive. His legacy obviously didn't stop when he stepped off the court.

Rock Chalk

massjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Booty is working as a teacher in the Washington, DC area. Very committed to helping those with special challenges. A quiet hero. He does Jayhawk nation proud.

Booo-ty!

Tim Orel 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. I'll always read these kinds of posts.

I just wish Booty had helped the guy learn how to spell "owe".

justanotherfan 9 years, 10 months ago

The no charge rule explained.

The no charge rule exists to force defenders to not just stand under the basket and get bailed out with a charge call, as often happens when a helpside defender rotates too late and can only get underneath the basket to get set (rather than the other side of the basket) to stop the drive.

As you see in this clip, Kevin Love's rotation is late. Love ends up under the basket and gets knocked down. Love has his hands up, attempting to draw the charge, but the official properly ignores it. The official is partially helped by the fact that this play resulted in a dunk.

However, in the college game, this call is made very inconsistently, especially because a lot of college players don't finish that with a dunk, but with a layup, or pass the ball when they see the rotation coming. Rewind to the UNI tournament game last year. On two different occasions, UNI players rotated late, but were bailed out by charge calls underneath the basket. One was Reed passing the ball (I think), the other was Taylor (also on a pass I believe). I can't find any video of those plays because they aren't really highlights. Those are no calls with this rule in place.

This rule actually makes teams defend better, because you have to rotate to stop the drive rather than rotating underneath the basket to put the onus on the referee to bail you out for NOT stopping the drive.

JJHAWK 9 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if a 'no charge' rule might be made to apply to football players? Just a thought . . . a small one.

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I hate the "no charge" arc rule. Duke and UNC won't notice a difference but this will change the way post defense is played by everyone else.

Sam Constance 9 years, 10 months ago

This doesn't make any sense. The arc will make it harder to give preference to some teams because it takes the judgement factor out of the call.

If there is a collision as a player is driving to the basket and any part of the defender is on/within that arc, then it's an automatic call.

There is no room for a ref to call or not call the foul based on the nebulous charge/block dichotomy.

AKPhog 9 years, 10 months ago

I think this rule helps players like Tyshawn. Most of his drives into the lane are stopped by a defender stepping in front of him and drawing a charge. As much as he drives into the lane out of control, a few less charging penalties will only help.

AKPhog 9 years, 10 months ago

Tim Orel 9 years, 10 months ago

Nice comparisons, but you need to allow that some of these guys were coaching in eras when far fewer teams made the NCAA's. Self's teams were all very highly ranked, so he may very well have had eight appearances even in the era of sixteen or thirty-two total teams in the tourney.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 10 months ago

I say forget about the arc. I say incorporate the worst rule in sports...................The Defensive 3 second Rule!

Top 5 All-Time Worst Rules:

1) Defensive 3 Second Rule-NBA-Why don't we just allow every offensive player an extra 2.5 steps of space to the basket? No wonder Lebron and Kobe didn't look as a good in the 2008 Olympics.

2) NFL Blackout Rule-Greedy....................

3) Major League All-Star Game determines Home Field Advantage for World Series. Not that this rule really matters to me, but I've lost all interest in baseball over the last 10 years.

4) The NCAA's mandated number of hours that Head Coaches and staff can work with it's team and players in the offseason. Too Restricted

5) NBA Inbounds at halfcourt after a timeout.

tis4tim 9 years, 10 months ago

5 should be #1. I absolutely hate that rule.

I would also add the "call a time out while I'm falling out of bounds" rule in basketball (or did they abolish that one?) and, in the NFL, the "must maintain control of the ball even after clearly making a catch inbounds, then falling or getting pushed to the ground while out of bounds for the play to be ruled a catch" rule.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

6] The yellow caution flag rule at the Indy 500 and other races. If there's a crash, too bad. Make it like the chariot race in BenHur. Get out of the way or get hit!!

I guarantee the television ratings would triple!!!!

Posted with no malice or seriousness!! :)

JayHodge24 9 years, 10 months ago

this just make KU an even better defensive, and offensive team. No more bail out calls and don't worry about post defense because they'll still call offensive fouls for to much aggression. Now lets grab the top recruits and get started 2012 class done so we dont have to wait all summer long to grab someone who hasnt made up their mind. ya i'm talking about daniels and

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 10 months ago

How about a new rule that allows only 2 players under the basket within a virtual, vertical cylinder? The two players must be of similar hieght and technical fouls called if there is more than a 2 inch variance. Also, the players in the cylinder must be of equal class levels. First year players against another first year player, etc. Then, a limit on substitutions within the first two minutes of each half. Additionally, only players with tattoos would be permitted to dunk.

It's time to re-invent the game, right? Dr. Naismith would want it that way.

Jayhawklegacy 9 years, 10 months ago

more worried about shabazz coming then daniels at this point!

honk_for_hawks 9 years, 10 months ago

really don't understand why people are so opposed to the no charge circle. technically speaking, the rule is already in place and has been in place for YEARS. the only difference is that the circle makes it more of a black and white call as opposed to a call that differs from ref to ref. I think its a fantastic rule because too often, a player rotates right under the basket at the last second cause they don't have time to actually stop a drive, and they end up getting bailed out by a bogus offensive foul. also, don't remember who made the point, but this rule should help us offensively since tyshawn drives into the paint out of control so often. as for all the sarcastic comments about changing rules, the rules are made to improve the game. and the rule changes are NOT taken lightly. the 3 pt line was moved back because realistically, a 19ft9inch shot isn't much more difficult than a free throw line shot. Is that distance really worth 50% more points? I personally don't think so and clearly the NCAA agreed. I don't think a foot was really worth the change though honestly. I know that I personally never shoot anywhere close to the line anyway so a foot makes no difference to most shooters. I don't know that I would have them move it all the way out to the NBA line (23ft9inch), but I think 21'9" or even just 22' even would be fine. It opens up the lane more and allows for a lot more action. A lot of people don't realize it, but making the line farther out doesn't DECREASE scoring, it INCREASES it because the floor spacing gets stretched out more and there is more room to work with in the paint. Shooters are getting better, athletes are getting better, and rule changes are necessary to help keep the game entertaining and competitive. Can you imagine if goaltending had never been instituted? thomas robinson would get 10+ blocks per game because he could just jump up and swat shots on their way down to the basket. he'd get more boards because he could grab those slow falling layups off the rim. What about if the 3pt line had never been introduced in the first place? the lane would be so clogged that we'd be stuck with scores in the 40s on a regular basis. My point is rule changes are part of a natural evolution of the game. Without them, the sport would die.