Saturday, May 21, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook

Kansas forwards Marcus (22) and Markieff Morris get the crowd to its feet after a bucket during the second half of KU's 72-59 win against Illinois on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.

NBA measurements

Kansas University’s Morris twins and Josh Selby are attending the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago. Here are their official measurements:

Markieff Morris: Height: 6-7 3/4 without shoes, 6-9 1/2 with shoes. Weight: 241 pounds. Body fat: 10.2. Wingspan: 6-10 3/4. Reach: 8-10 1/2.

Marcus Morris: Height: 6-7 without shoes, 6-8 3/4 with shoes. Weight: 230. Body fat: 8.0. Wingspan: 6-10. Reach: 8-9 1/2.

Josh Selby: Height: 6-13⁄4 without shoes, 6-3 with shoes. Weight: 195. Body fat: 7.9. Wingspan: 6-5 1/4. Reach: 8-2.

NBAdraft.net’s assessment of the twins at combine

“Marcus insisted on working out with the small forwards and looked like he belonged. Despite his bulky frame, Marcus was effortless going through the drills, and his offensive polish was evident in the small sample size at the combine.

“Even more impressive was Markieff who looks like he is in phenomenal shape and is displaying what I would call a perfect skill set for the modern power-forward position. Markieff is beating the other PF’s down the floor in wind sprints, is hitting his outside jumpers and is still a monster down low with his frame and footwork.”

Here’s ESPN.com’s Andy Katz’s take

“Josh Selby said he declared for the draft because he felt good about his game while working out with Joe Abunassar in Las Vegas after the season. It’s strange that the decision came down to his offseason workout.

“Marcus Morris said he wanted to be with the small forwards more than the power forwards for two reasons: that’s more his natural position and he wanted to be separate from Markieff. He said they need to be judged separately in a setting like this.”

Better mark

Marcus was happy to see his wingspan listed at 6-10. His wingspan was measured at 6-7 at last summer’s LeBron James camp.

“I read somewhere I had ‘T-Rex arms,’’’ Morris said in an interview posted on draftexpress.com. “I said, ‘What? I have naturals.’ I felt my stock was dropping because they said my arms were short. I read I have a 6-7 wingspan. I thought, ‘I’m 6-9. Is that even possible?’ It’s amazing how many spots you can drop in the draft because they say your arms are short. Now it’s 6-10. I’m fine with that.”

Marcus joked about likely being apart from his brother next season for the first time.

“Hopefully one of us will become a superstar in the league and we can demand a trade and get one of us to the other team,” Marcus said. “It’s going to be hard. I’ll send him some fruit, some flowers and stuff like that, tell him I’m thinking about him. That’s my guy.”

They may have to guard each other in games.

“We’re getting paid to play. I can’t let him score points,” Marcus said. “That’d be like I was shaving points. You get in trouble for shaving points.”

Comments

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Bare feet.

With shoes.

In the shower.

On the wood.

Before a night's sleep.

After a night's sleep.

So, Mr. Peabody: looking back...in the Wayback Memory Hole Machine...

Were Wilt and Jabbar true footers, or not?

Were they 6'11" in bare feet and 7'0 1/4" in Chuck Lifts? you pencil-necked, lab geek, Mr. Pea Flipping Body.

Or were Wilton and Lewis really 7 flipping feet tall?!

This Sherman gots-ta know!

Has anyone ever really been 7 feet tall in college basketball?

Was O-tag?

Was Chen-O?

Was Paul-EE?

Or was Paul-MO?

Maybe Manute Bol, or maybe Rik Smits?

Or did those twin re-bar even play college-B?

Lady Ga Ga wants to !@#$%^ know!

(Because Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta wants some true footers to Madonna Ciccone with.)

PwC wants to know!

(Because they'll account for anything.)

The NSA wants to know!

(Because they want to know everything.)

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Forgot about KG. Wow! Whatever became of him?

overseashawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate I think you've finally lost it or you wrote this while highly inebriated.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

I can't take these kinds of compliments so early in the morning. :-)

yates33333 9 years, 11 months ago

Pay no mind to complaints. Keep up the bon mots.

Brad Avery 9 years, 11 months ago

Remarkable what a little thing like three million dollars will do for one's motivation and desire to excel. The next thing we'll be hearing is that he is hitting 90 percent of his free throws and hustling back on defense.

Ashwin Rao 9 years, 11 months ago

Now, now, now... Both the Morris brothers have done their share at KU and are doing what is good for them. Having two stars in the NBA would look good for KU's resume too... in future recruiting. All the best Marcus, Markief, Selby!

Brad Avery 9 years, 11 months ago

I have a short memory. All I can recall are the Morris brothers getting beat by VCU post players sprinting to the paint and watching both warm up against Nebraska by doing everything but shooting free throws. On the other hand, if Julian Wright can get paid in the NBA, why not the Morrises?

ajhk 9 years, 11 months ago

Dooinlittle-

Apparently the problem is not that you have a short memory, rather, your memory is a collage projected nightmares of self loathing and broken bits of never-was dementia.

The Morrii were the reason we had a chance to win every game and the reason we won most. They were dedicated and focused players and just good guys.

Let's try to support our Hawks more and cry about what we didn't get a little less.

Brad Avery 9 years, 11 months ago

Nope. All reality. The Morrii, as you put it, were decent college players. They just happen to take a game or two off, such as the last one they played. Nor do I think they were particularly dedicated or focused, at least not when it was required most of them. I do think they were talented enough to do well on less than 100 percent effort. Players can and do change. I hope their favorable workouts are indicative of such. They won't last long in the NBA unless they become consistent effort guys.

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

The reality is that college players are measured against college players. Of course you never want any of them to have a down game. Of course they all will.

The loss to VCU was more being unable to hit our threes than it was lack of effort. The Morris twins did miss a few of those but Reed, Morningstar & company were the biggest downer. I am with ahjk that these guys led us there. Not going to p on their memory now.

Jonathan Allison 9 years, 10 months ago

by my memory, the Morris twins were the only players who performed well against VCU.

REHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I wish them very well, all three. Sad that the NBA can rule a collegiate roster, but if these kids need to go after the riches, I hope they all draw top dollar. If the majority of Jayhawk recruits should focus with the determination to develop, as did the twins, Kansas basketball will remain near the best in the land annually. After the airsoft incident and their apparent early freshman tendency to dismiss the competitive fires and advice of Aldrich, they quickly "got it," as their coach might say. The strong parenting of Angel Morris appeared on the scene enroute to their making the ultimate use of the Kansas athletic program to improve and shine. The Jayhawk Nation will really miss the Morrii this upcoming season. I hope their proud mother sticks around to help TRob through his continued development, on and off the court. Speaking of sad, the Selby Saga unfortunately rarely saw the launching of a star recruit's potential best at Kansas. Rules and injury offered up a pair of mighty slaps. He did provide moments of thrills for the Jayhawks, right from his first appearance in the active lineup. But collegiate greatness was just not to be for him, although he played through pain and with determination. It seemed sometimes that the Spirit of Doom swept away too many of his Jayhawk opportunities to excel. That said, he will always be a Jayhawk, no matter where the professional ball bounces. I hope he becomes the star that his early promise did indeed portend. A high first round draft choice for a team which owns the playing rights of a Kirk Heinrich who might help him develop quickly. For many years the Jayhawk Nation might take pride in watching these 3 pound the hardboards of professional exposure and fame. A boon to Bill Self's recruiting and strong additions to the list of significant talent to emerge from the greatest collegiate hoops program in the land. RCJH!

REHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

By the way, the Jayhawks have 3 other 2011 departures to keep an eye upon in the near, perhaps distant future. If they so choose, where will Mario, Tyrel and Brady continue to bounce the ball? This season, every departing Jayhawk might find an opportunity to discover a niche for extended play somewhere in a professional setting. Best of luck and fortune to you 3 players, also.

RockChalk26 9 years, 11 months ago

They will be bouncing the ball at their local YMCA playing mainly in the men's leagues with a few pick up games peppered in.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 11 months ago

So You "peaked" in high school and are taking it out on those with more talent and desire.

WilburNether 9 years, 11 months ago

No, actually, RockChalk26 provided a realistic assessment of the near-zero prospects of those players to play professionally.

In contrast, you appear to be one of those fanbois who has drunk the Kool-Aid and cannot stand to read any assessment of the beloved jocks whom you idolize that is less than stellar.

Time for a reality check, Ace.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 10 months ago

Wrong cliche breath. I have not consumed any "Kool-Aid". I am merely criticizing individuals who assume an air finality, and sometimes superiority, when it comes to their opinions about Kansas athletes.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 10 months ago

That should be "an air of finality". I am sure I will get lambasted for grammatical content.

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

Should they want, Reed and Little can play a bit in the NBADL or overseas. You are correct that none of them will be up for NBA All-Star. But shooting and playing defense will provide an opportunity in the minors.

63Jayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you. However, I suspect Tyrel may decide to go ahead with his physical therapist education instead, but I wouldn't discount him if he has an opportunity to play in Europe or elsewhere.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

Prediction:

HCDM

AHCTR

(someday, Danny at the helm with Tyrel at his side)

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

REHawk,

Mario will play overseas for sure.

Brady could, but would be smarter to jump straight into his dad's business and become a successful investment banker. He can make a lot more money that route.

Tyrel almost certainly could, too, but probably knows too much about the cost to the human body of playing basketball for many more years and so will use his degree in PT to make his living. What I do wonder about Tyrel is if he will work in PT a couple years, miss the game, and decide to go into coaching. It sounds like his dad has probably discouraged him from going into coaching, but Tyrel is smart and driven the way many coaches are. He probably is already savvy and focused enough to run a small college team successfully and then fast track to a mid major, etc. But only time will tell.

Steve Kubler 9 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel has been quoted as saying he was interested in playing overseas for a year or two and has already had a delay approved for starting PT courses. I can not find the story on here, it was several months ago. His reasoning was that he does not wish to pass of the chance and regret it later. Also a couple of years being paid to travel Europe is not all that bad a gig either.

IMO Reed has the capability to fit in well in Europe as does Mario, not so sure on Brady.

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

Don't know why they even bother with a "with shoes" measurement. Totally an apples-to-oranges number!!!

jhox 9 years, 11 months ago

If Marcus drops out of the top 10, there are going to be a lot of sick GM's second guessing themselves. He's the most NBA ready / suited player in the Bill Self era at Kansas. He may not turn into a regular member of the NBA all star team, but he's going to be a very solid player for a lot of years in the league.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

Did they measure the circumference of Selby's head?

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

That's funny, I would have thought it would be considered inflated just like his ego!

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 11 months ago

Lay off the kid! If he had not had those injuries, you would have been a big time brown noser!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

Now he's starting to consistently show up in the 1st round in mock drafts. Looks to have made the right decision to jump.

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

Wilt, in an era that did not inflate heights, was listed at 7-1, 275. He appears all of that in watching him play against NBA players. It is harder to tell if he grew height after KU but he definitely put on muscle to fill out after leaving here.

"Because Chamberlain was a very tall child, already measuring 6 feet at age 10[13] and 6 feet 11 inches when he entered Philadelphia's Overbrook High School,[3] he had a natural advantage against his peers; he soon was renowned for his scoring talent, his physical strength and his shot blocking abilities." - Wikipedia quoting Robert Cherry

REHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, Jaybate. Some of our posters do come on in-your-face strong.
Mario, Tyrel and Brady offered a big chunk of their energies and some key years of their lives to the Jayhawk program. I look to see all of them excel in whatever future endeavors they choose. Young men I would love to hire if I were engaged in a business which fit their interests.

Ben Simonett 9 years, 11 months ago

I always saw marcus as a 3, i couldn't for the life of me figue out why Self didn't play him there more often last year.

Could you imagine a front courts of marcus at the 3 Trob at the 4 and markieff at the 5?

we would have out rebounded everyone by double digits.

Selbyville 9 years, 11 months ago

Right, I too have always wondered why college coaches don't load up on size and length in college like they do in the league. At premier programs like KU, the 6'5ish wing players are skilled enough to play the 2. Why we run out with three 6'2 perimeter players is beyond me. Reed and Morningstar had to work harder on D than a larger, longer player would, and on offense they are not posing any mismatches.

We should roll with Taylor BMc Releford/DD? Robinson Withey

It isn't rocket science, we would roll over smaller, less talented teams

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

Perceptive questions - the short answer is that he wins with his system. Teams with bigger lineup cannot guard us. College coaches year after year can recruit talented guards but not big men. Last year starting those three who would substitute for each one?

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I disagree... We should start Taylor Johnson McL Traylor or Anderson TRob

Steve Kubler 9 years, 10 months ago

And who would he have subbed in for those three?

GrayHawk 9 years, 11 months ago

6-5 but 6-8 with the afro -- 7-2 in platform shoes - go fletch

JayDocMD 9 years, 11 months ago

"No...we don't have to, I mean, maybe I just haven't been doing enough calisthenics...you know, my kidneys feel a lot better now, maybe if I just bent over like this every morning.... Moon River......Whew...ever serve time, Doc?"

JayhawkPurist 9 years, 11 months ago

"Markieff is beating the other PF’s down the floor in wind sprints, is hitting his outside jumpers and is still a monster down low with his frame and footwork.”

Just another Manning product.

Alohahawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I met Wilt once, face to face, here in Honolulu. If he wasn't 7 foot plus, then I'm not 6'' 7" tall (which I am, without shoes). He towered over me by at least 6". My eye level was well below the top of his shoulders. This was about 1982 to 1984, so he would have been in his mid 40's or so. He was with some people, one of which I knew in passing. Not wanting to miss out on the chance of a lifetime and to meet a fellow Jayhawk, I greeted my friend, quickly explained that I had attended KU, and that I was one of many Wilt fans. I got to shake his hand, which was half again as big as mine. He seemed to appreciate that I went to KU and asked when I attended. I never saw him play, but he used to play beach volleyball out here, and I heard he was h*** at the net. Didn't really have to jump.

As for Kareem, I saw him at a distance when he entered a restaurant, and he had to duck when he went through the doorway, which was probably 7 foot high. His date looked like she was about 5' 6" tall.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Great anecdotes! My faith is restored.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Selbyville,

It would be great to start a tall line-up like the one you suggest. And my hunch whenever Self finds long players that can do the basics on the perimeter, they will be starting ahead of the short guys that can do the basics. In fact, I would bet my last after tax dollar on it.

Tyrel made clear a player didn't really have to do too many things right to play wing for Self, but he did imply a player "had" to do them. They were: guard, protect, feed the post, and keep the ball moving.

When Reed made the comment, the implication I got was that he was kind of amazed at how many tremendously talented guys on the team struggled doing these four very basic things consistently.

I thought Tyrel did not mention shooting a high trey percentage, too, because he was struggling with that, while EJ, Travis and Little had all gotten their long shots squared away; yet were still not playing big minutes, because of inconsistency at the four basic things Self required of his wings.

I would also bet my next to last after tax dollar that each season of their KU careers, Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar suspected they were probably going to get beat out of most of their minutes by the latest, greatest talent Self brought in. Doing the four basics came so naturally to them that they probably never dreamed that every new "long and athletic" on the team would be able to do the four basics as easily as them.

But every year, "the long and athletics" kept not nailing down the four basics, or they couldn't shoot a lick, or or they got injured, or something, and Tyrel and Brady seemed to keep getting better at the four basics and so they kept earning anywhere from 20-35 mpg.

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

So you don't have to pay taxes either? Nice.

Another factor is it is harder to find players who can play the post - high and low to use them on the wing. Juju complained about not playing wing but when he got drafted discovered another reason why he was played at the four - he could not shoot.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Self said many times that he never dreamed those two guys would have such a big impact on the program.

And when you stop and think about it--why did it take so long for EJ, Travis and Little to get the basics down? Could these guys really be around Self every day for a couple years in practice and games and not get that he was utterly insistent on the four basics, as conditions for getting PT?

Self had Brady playing mop up minutes at once point last season, because Brady lost his focus in a shooting slump and stopped doing some of the four basics for awhile.

If Self will reduce a fifth year senior starter to mop up minutes for not getting it done on the four basics, he sure as heck wasn't going to give EJ, Travis, and Little a pass.

Here's what I hope.

I hope TRob, EJ and Travis (and maybe call Little back for this) address the team at the beginning of this coming season standing at courside in AFH and say something like this:

(EJ starts out.)

"We know what you guys are thinking. Kief and Marcus and Josh are wearing Armani now and driving Ferraris to and from solid gold cribs to run with Lebron. BStar is doing mergers and aqs. Tyrel is rubbing quads. Little is dunking in some godfather's grille in Italy. Self only brought in four warm bodies. And so all I gotta do is go ball like always did in AAU and I'm in the rotation and the photi will be wanting to pose for me all season long in intimissi lingerie."

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

(At this point EJ, Travis and Little all look down at the newbs, then back at each other and shake their heads. Little steps forward.)

"There is only one way your ass, what ever color it may be, is gonna get on this wood for more than mop up minutes. You have to do the four basics: guard, protect, feed the post, and keep the ball moving. If you don't do the m!@#$%^^&in' four, then Self ain't gonna let you play. It ain't rocket science. Each of us standing here still have a few splinters in the onions from testin' him on this."

(Travis takes over.)

"And don't think you can go runnin' and cryin' to the assistants sayin' "But I'm better than these no talents playin' ahead of me. You said so when you recruited me," cuz they'll just say, "get outta my face till you can do the four. When I recruited you, I thought you could do the four." Or DMan just might say nothin' at all, which is worse, cuz he just looks away and shakes that bald nine ball of a head of his like, "Why does Self keep recruitin' these dumb assed m!@#$%^&ers."

(Then TRob steps forward and points a finger down at the hard wood inside the lines.)

"Here is doing the m!@#$%^&in' four."

(Then TRob points his finger outside the lines.)

"Here is not doing them."

(TRob puts a basketball between his palms and squeezes it till it explodes.)

"Consider yourselves warned. Dismissed."

Selbyville 9 years, 11 months ago

I mean, you're right. I guess I'm starting to question Self's philosophies to some extent. He absolutely demands perfect basketball from his players, but in doing so he shuns some talented players out of minutes and thereby hindering their development, and in my opinion, frustrating some of the more potent players that come through KU. You see coaches like Calimari and Calhoun recruit top guys just like we do, throw them on the court for 25-32 mpg and hope that they figure it out. I mean EJ is a junior now and what has he ever accomplished? He is a damn good player with a real high ceiling, but he has been effect less on the bench so far and it's not as if we've won the title these last two years.

mikehawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Am I the only one who thinks Marcus can play the two in the NBA and become a matchup nightmare? He would need to greatly improve his ball handling skills, but has the passing and the outside shot foundation to put along side his post up skills. He really looks like he could eventually be a Paul Pierce type player to me.

lee3022 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't think Marcus can guard the two. He can post his man but doesn't have that really quick step to get open from a two., Three makes good sense. He sees himself (as he expressed to draftexpress.com) as a Carmelo Anthony. It remains to be seen if he is as quick as 'Melo.

A trend in the NBA is to play small and players versitile enough to play two positions have more value. Depending on the team, Marcus may well get his minutes divided between four and three.

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 11 months ago