Friday, May 20, 2011

AAU coach: KU fans will love hoops recruit Jamari Traylor

Jamari Traylor, the No. 141-ranked player in the class of 2011, according to Rivals.com.

Jamari Traylor, who played basketball his senior year of high school in Bradenton, Fla., was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago.

“I grew up near Dearborn and State Street, right next to Sox Stadium, U.S. Cellular Field. I’d walk over there a lot and go to (White Sox) games,” said Traylor, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound IMG Academies power forward who Wednesday signed a national letter of intent with KU.

South Sider Traylor, who attended Julian High School of the Public League his junior year, played last spring and summer for Chicago’s Mean Streets AAU program.

The late bloomer, who didn’t start playing organized basketball until his sophomore year of high school, flourished for Mean Streets. He played on the same team as future college players Anthony Davis (6-10, Kentucky), Phil Greene (6-2, St. John’s), Branden Dawson (6-6, Michigan State) and Dee Davis (5-10, Xavier).

“That team was loaded,” said Mean Streets coach Jevon Mamon. “When you are playing with the type of guys who will play in the Big East, SEC, Big 10, you elevate your game. Jamari did that.

“Some of the dunks that he pulled out ... his athleticism and strength, dunking over people ... coming out of nowhere and getting rebounds ... he is a guy who is so athletic. He rebounds his butt off, runs the floor well and has great hands. His game has so much potential as he continues to grow as a player.”

Traylor averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks this past season at IMG. He chose KU over Oklahoma State, Indiana and Texas Tech.

“I think Jamari can definitely come in and compete and contribute at the elite level — at KU,” Mamon said. “I’ve had the pleasure of working camps in the past at KU, and I’ve seen firsthand how coach (Bill) Self and coach (Joe) Dooley and (Kurtis) Townsend and (Danny) Manning develop players. I think he’ll flourish.

“The fans will love him,” Mamon added. “Off the court, he’s a very likeable kid. He has a great sense of humor. On the court, he turns into an animal. He is a warrior. He competes every possession. He is strong as an ox.

I don’t think the people in Lawrence will skip a beat in terms of missing the (Morris) twins. I mean, I’m sure they’ll miss them, but Jamari will bring a lot of the same qualities.”

Traylor will give KU additional options in a frontcourt that includes juniors Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey, freshman Braeden Anderson and sophomore walk-on Justin Wesley. Junior Travis Releford, at 6-6, could be used in the frontcourt as well as the perimeter.

“Thomas is probably going to be a lottery pick next year,” Traylor said. “I know I can complement him, and he can complement me as well on the court. With us on the court, it should be really good.”

Mum’s the word: DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior from IMG Academies, did not announce for KU, Texas or Oregon on Thursday.

IMG Academies had said Daniels would have an announcement Thursday morning, but that never materialized.

Daniels could decide today, or he could wait awhile.

He has let the spring signing period elapse, meaning he can only sign a financial-aid agreement, not a letter-of-intent.

The agreement binds the school to the player, but not the player to the school. Daniels in theory would be free to attend any school in the summer or fall.

Zagsblog.net has reported that Daniels’ dad favors KU. It has been speculated Daniels may favor Texas, but the family has been silent through most of the recruiting process.

Comments

kansas88 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know if any of you remember Richard Scott, but the description of Jamari is eerily similar. Let's hope he's better at the line. A real warrior in the paint though.

kennethst 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate was in Italy??? I thought I had talked him into going to Scotland. Ahhh.....Scotland. I know I'm a bit off subject, friends......but if you ever want to see a beautiful land it's Scotland.......been 3 times and going back any and every chance I get.

And if you like Scotch........well.....let me tell you.............

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

LJW ALERT.....can you post something..anything will do.

This chain has committed the ultimate sin, the greatest transgression, the sickest act, the most worthless moment, the least productive conclusion...

This string has become BORING!!!!!!!

Give us something..give us anything:

Underskirt shots of Kansas cheerleaders.? An analysis of HCBS's latest toupee? What is Brady Morningstar during this summer? Take a poll on who would win a footrace, Lew Perkins or Coach Mangino? How many Cardinal fans will be in Kaufmann Stadium this weekend? If Jaybate and theend ran full speed into each other would they merge and become Rush Limbaugh?

Come on, guys..it's Friday afternoon. Don't make me actually work!!

kkoenig 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey, is Jaybate back from Italy? Haven't heard from him in a while.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

I was hard on Tyshawn Taylor throughout last year. I was wrong. I had no idea he had a hand injury that was fairly serious. I think he will be very good in 2011-2012.

Looking back......I think I did notice he played awkwardly at times.....probably the injury.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate....back to topic. Give us next year's starting 5 and bench conributors. Call me crazy.....but I think we will be really good......again! But a lot actually depends on Withey dont you think?

JJHAWK 2 years, 11 months ago

One thing you have to love about KU BB posters - we NEVER get into name calling. Just saying . . .

Robert Robinson 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm over the Daniels talk. If the kid wants to win, he'll come to KU. If he wants to play basketball at a football school and wants to watch basketball on TV in March, he'll go to texas. I'm excited to see Traylor. You know, the JAYHAWK... who wants to be here. I hope he makes a joke of his ratings. Americans have short attention spans, and mine has run out with Daniels.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey, theend, this is really fun...

theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist. theend sounds like a marxist.

But I still don't get the connection to KU hoops.

Hank Cross 2 years, 11 months ago

I think you have to take all these ratings with a grain of salt. With all the money associated with prep programs, AAU, club teams, runners, etc. I would be surprised if money was NOT changing hands for ratings. No one seems to wonder anymore why kids from Chicago end up going to school in FL. Schools like IMG bring in kids like Daniels and Traylor so they can charge the parents of other players big money to play with 'Five Star Recruits.'

Plus, how many 5 star recruits can there really be?

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Regarding Quintrel Thomas, in retrospect, his problem was probably not lack of talent. And I don't believe for a second that Self wanted him to leave. I believe Self wanted him to do what DBlock did. Accept his limitations and labor for a couple years of practices to finally get his game to a serviceable level.

I believe Self and Quintrel had one of those bad fits personality that lead a player and coach into conflict that ends with a player leaving. Essentially, Self thought Quintrel, who perhaps viewed himself as a something of an enforcer type, was no where near tough enough and not sufficiently trusting to adapt his game to what the team needed. Self probably put him in the toughening box and QT said, "This kind of treatment is not my style."

Quintrel was probably not ready for Self's and Manning's level of demanding-ness (probably not a word). He probably thought he was good enough to play that first season and lacked the innner self esteem to let him put up with what Thomas Robinson put up with his first season. TRob basically got bench sores his first season, and looked worse and worse as the season went on until he finally disappeared. The same thing happened to Quintrel. He played some minutes early, then began to deteriorate under that steady onrush of teaching and reformatting of his game.

Board rats seem to underestimate just how brutal it is for big men's self esteem to come into KU and discover that:

a) they can't play at a D1 level yet; and

b) their fundamentals and mechanics are going to take a long time to fix; and

c) they're are a long way from home and there is no one to cry to that will be very simpathetic.

Self liked QT, or he wouldn't have helped place him with Okie Baller Lon Kruger at UNLV.

If I recall correctly, QT was kind of caught up in all the make room for XHenry and Jeff Withey stuff.

Self probably wanted QT to red shirt and QT maybe resisted.

Anyway, comparing Jamari Traylor to QT is not a bad comparison and IMHO cast no diminishment on Traylor.

QT could have been a big, big help to the KU program, if he had not gotten ticked off at either Self, or one of the other coaches.

If I recall correctly, he would still be here this coming season and that would make us a whole lot better inside just because of his experience and muscle from weight training, even if only as a 10-15 minute back-up, though I suspect he would have been a 20-25 mpg banger type.

Frankly, QT's leaving the team created the hole in our team downstream that finally did us in against VCU. Had Quintrel Thomas stayed at KU, he would most certainly have been the bookend to TRob that last year's team needed to survive a bad performance against a superior conditioned VCU team.

Quintrel was not a a great player, but he could certainly have bulked up and played XTReme Muscle for us inside for 10-20mpg, as a four big man rotation needs.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Hilarious......all of you people that get so excited about recruit. Recruits mean nothing.....absolutely nothing until they play. All they are is potential. I would think you would have learned that after KU's recent experience.

Frankly.....I'm tired of "experts" telling me how good these recruits are. And if you're also a chiefs fan......maybe you noticed how many of their draft choices have been miserable failures???

Sorry.....I refuse to get excited . Never again.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Sorry.....I refuse to get excited . Never again.

Jamaal25Chiefs 2 years, 11 months ago

It makes me sick that so many Kansas fans don't appreciate that we have the success to land 3, 4, and 5 star recruits. . . You people judge this kid as if you have played against him, as if you are Wilt Chamberlain or something. . . This kid is VERY, VERY talented. . . Started playing organized basketball in his Sophmore year and made it in the top 150 players in the NATION?! Thats quite a great achievement! Danny Manning will tune his skills and make him a great player, His body style and build is almost exactly like Thomas Robinson. Who cares if he is a 3 star, 4 star, 5 star or no star. . . . Where on that Star chart does it rate a players work ethic? Hard work? or heart? . . . . No where! So stop complaining we as Kansas fans are very spoiled and fortunate to even land a 3 star recruit! Be thankful! My gosh.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 11 months ago

Is a 6' 8", 180 pound, non-aligned teenager really that important of a piece to next years puzzle of success??

Of course, I could always be wrong, but a guy like this won't be ready for elite competition for at least one year in Self's system. Self Ball is not an easy style to become accustomed to, and the fact that DD will likely be 1&Finished, I don't think he fits the KU Bill anyway.

boomrsoonr26 2 years, 11 months ago

For us to say that Texas wants DeAndre just as bad as we do, well thats just not true. I guarantee Texas fans havent been watching and refreshing their UTSports.com equivelant like most of us have. I can honestly say that we are watching this sooo closely b/c the fanbase believes we need this kid to compete next year for a Big 12 minus 2 title. UT fans are only refreshing their page to see if Mack Brown killed Austin Box. Too soon?

martyks 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh Puuuuuuulllllllease! Weight gain ruined Eric Chenowith???? Be serious! Partying and softness ruined the CheNOwith. Sorry, but that guy did less with more than any basketball player at KU with the only exception of Josh Selby. They are 1 and 2 on my list of the all time under achievers at KU... and they're a pick 'em as to who was worse. I think they each played one good game. Cheno had more time to do less with though.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

HEM, I totally share ur optimism about Releford. 1st time we may have a player@ wing as versatile as Rush. Also want to see if Relef/EJ/TT can = Rush/Chalmers/Russell on both ends of floor.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

As a guy who really has confidence in Travis Releford, the Daniels deal is a no lose situation. If we get the guy, great.

If not, Releford will be given the opportunity to show what he's got. He'll be a junior. Lots of practice time, lots of improvement. It was obvious that he worked on his outside shot in advance of last season. A possible 40% guy from 3 if we're lucky. Plays major defense, great to match-up against the big 3 guy in the Hamilton mold, or vs. the best guard. Can get to the hoop. Wide range of skills.

Perhaps now I'm the one that's too giddy.

Even if we get Daniels, I could see both Daniels and Releford starting, with one working through the 4 spot.

Whether we get Daniels or not, our two main issues next season will be three point shooting and post play (outside of TRob). It is what it is.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

The point to many people being upset is that we were suppose to hear a decision on Wednesday then it was pushed back to Thursday. I don't think anyone would care if he said look I need another month to decide then if he announced earlier fine. Look if he's not ready to sign that's fine. I'm sure just as much as we want him Texas wants him equally. Making a decision like this is tough especially when you aren't 100% sure oh and you're an 18 year old young man. I perfer he doesn't make his decision until he has made up his mind 100%. I don't want a player like this coming and not thinking he made the right choice. My gripe (and many others) is that we would quit hearing he's making announcement then he moves it. If you're not ready fine. You make YOUR deadline and tell us when you are good and ready. I get that. Just stop teasing us! My refresh button is gonna wear out!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 11 months ago

Always good to see Chicago players sign with the Jayhawks!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Come on..at the very least, Jamari will provide a big body in practice and provide five hard fouls to protect TRob or Jeff. That's better than where we were three days ago. Besides, if Deandre Daniels is your teammate, my guess is the focus isn't probably on you.

The videos don't lie. this kid can move and this kid can dunk.

As a high school senior, athleticism-wise, he is already ahead of the Morris Twins when they came in as freshmen [I hope he doesn't own an air gun!!]

jdhawk1988 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh No DD didn't sign a LOI and get locked in to a school that he obviously isn't 100% committed to at this time. Instead now all he can do is sign a finacial aid agreement that gives the player all the power and the school none of it, if the player changes his mind.

Think of it in plain people terms, he has the option to go work for what ever company he wants rather then signing and excusive agreement with a company he is not sure he wants to work for. How many of you would leave your job for another company if you couldn't work for 1 year. By choosing the wrong school that is exactly what could happen to him.

More power to DD, I am suprised more students dont do this

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

I think DD is still hoping that Duke takes him.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't have a problem with DeAndre Daniels' delayed decision. Mainly because of this reason "the family has been silent through most of the recruiting process". It's not one of those situations where they're out trying to sell thie kid and publicize him and get as much attention as possible. They're just gridlocked in trying to make the right choice.

Don't dismiss DeAndre Daniels for his disinclination to make a hasty decision. Don't destroy him if he determines that Texas is his destination of choice either.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

A comment from Self on Quintrell Thomas near the time he signed:

Said Self: "Quintrell Thomas is an athletic, quick-twitched, prototypical power forward. His offensive game is one that is expanding. Quintrell has played for one of the very best high school basketball programs in the country at St. Pat's. Quintrell will give us an element of toughness, and his defensive rebounding will be something we look to early in his career."

And another:

At 6-foot-7, 241 pounds, Thomas is an inch shorter and nine pounds lighter than Jackson was last year. But in Self's analysis, the comparison goes beyond stature. "(Thomas) is an athletic power forward," Self said. "His offensive game is one that is expanding. He's going to give us an element of toughness, and his defensive rebounding will be something we look to early in his career. He is explosive, a great runner, jumper. He does remind me of Darnell when he first got here."

I'm not saying Traylor will go the route of Thomas. My points have been that we should not get overly excited here. But some persist in saying he will make a huge impact, or reminds them of Derrick Williams. Perhaps one should get overly excited about Daniels if he signs .. then disappointed if he doesn't live up to the ranking. But with Traylor .. let's just wait and see. Let's not create these unreasonable scenarios that don't fit, and let's not be overly abundant in the praise of coach Self for "landing" a player of Traylor's lack of stature.

shoedee 2 years, 11 months ago

I really feel like QT would have been a solid player for us if we had had room for him on the roster back in the 2009-2010 season. Imagine, he would have been an experienced senior by this next season and have provided us with proven depth in the post, one of our greatest concerns going into next season. Here's an interesting question- in hindsight which is always 20/20, would you have traded Xavier for one year and a loss to UNI in the tourney for Quintrell and his tough rebounding and post presence for 4 years? Recruiting is a funny thing. I also feel like the loss of Royce is substantial as he would have played a lot of minutes this year and developed into a solid 2 for us by his junior year- in watching Royce a little, I thought he looked a lot like an undersized Keith Langford (who himself was undersized) but Royce looked like one of the more creative scorers we had in a long time, perhaps his two negatives being his size and lack of a consistent long-range game. But I liked him and feel like his loss as a 4 year guard in our program will have subtle but a real impact. I think big men like Traylor and Anderson can be solid guys for us and help us win- look at what the Harrellson kid did for UK this year- I wonder what he was ranked coming out- anyone know?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

Back to Traylor and the conversation of yesterday -- just for fun, here's a thread where Quintrell Thomas committed:

And another thread -

Interesting to read the quotes in the article and the comments on the message board.

Just a note .. Thomas #149 at Rivals; Traylor #141 at Rivals.

phog 2 years, 11 months ago

Must be the MOST under-rated kid in the HISTORY of college b-ball, the fawning commences.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 11 months ago

So what's really the point of a letter of intent? Why would any athlete sign one and give up the freedom to change his/her mind later? It sounds like that's all that it does. I guess it does officially stop the recruiting process, phone calls, media hounding...etc, but I'd think for most blue chippers, they would take that option if it meant freedom of choice to the end.

xfitter 2 years, 11 months ago

"Fat distribution of muscle mass"????? Jaybate, do you mean body composition, which is body fat percentage or did you mean fat mass to lean mass ratio? As a fitness professional this cracked me up this morning. Not lean mass, muscle mass or fat mass BUT fat distribution of muscle mass!!!! Way to talk out your *** there haha. Yes exercise science is a very tricky element of sports in order to get your athletes to their full potential for themselves and for the program. However, Tyrel could have been thickened up some, contrary to what you think Jaybate, i would almost garauntee that they kept him from putting on too much weight because they needed him as quick as possible. Brady was probably at the peak of what weight he could gain, i am positive that they were constantly trying to beef him up from the time he stepped on campus. Hes 6'3" and 180, gee Hudy really went overboard there huh? There is a reason Brady wore XXXL T-shirts under his jersey since high school, and its not for the slimming effect it has on everyone else. Hudy will do her thing, and have the players strength, cardio and weights where they should be over there summer work with her. Trust in Hudy, she's a genius!

DDDHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Jamari-- Can't wait to see you on the court! Welcome to Jayhawk Land. You have just become part of a great family!

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

If your team is in sharply better cardio vascular condition than an opponent, even an opponent with more talent, you run when you can, and in half court offense you stretch the cuts to make the heavy opponent have to run farther (Richmond did the same thing, but KU was rested that night). On defense, you hound them everywhere and eventually, when they tire, you can deny them all their bread and butter plays simply by fouling them inside and forcing them to run cuts outside, Their legs are gone, so they are always to slow to make the open shot materialize. And when they get the open shot, they are too tired to jump normally and their jump shooting (everywhere on the floor) tanks.

It is true KU had an off shooting night vs. VCU. But against a normally conditioned muscle team that would have gotten into a grind it out with KU, allowing KU to substitute more, KU's shooting probably would only declined to the 20-30 percent range and KU's superior talent and depth would have carried KU past VCU even on a bad day. We saw this very thing happen many off shooting nights during the season.

Instead, Shaka's XTReme Conditioning enabled him to stick with his best players most of the game with no drop off in performance. Self could not afford to sub much, or VCU would widen the lead. Self's draft choice players tired after only 10 minutes into the first half. An off shooting game turned into a nightmarish one.

Wooden came back from the grave to teach Bill Self, via Shaka Smart, a lesson he had forgotten in the age of XTReme Muscle.

The better conditioned team never cracks and so always has a good chance to beat a better team.

KU players are going to be vastly better conditioned this season.

During this off season Self has not only had to deal with an embarrassing early exit and loss to a younger coach. He has also had to deal with the twin ghosts of John Wooden and Henry Iba, probably Phog, too, whispering in his ear:

"We told you so."

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

But I have also speculated that Self had to be fabulously impressed with Shaka Smart's XTReme Conditioning of VCU. VCU did not win the game, because of KU's lousy shooting, though that certainly contributed. They won, because they ran KU's butts off in half court chase at both ends. None of KU's players could keep up for an entire game. Fatigue didn't make cowards of them, but it sure made them unable to compete effectively the last 5-8 minutes.

Wooden at UCLA used to beat most teams with superior talent and superior execution. But whenever UCLA met a team with equivalent talent and execution, UCLA always broke them by being in superior condition.

Because of the rise of whistle swallowing to keep the games in TV windows, and the sharp shift to XTReme Muscle played by heavy, muscular players (bigs especially), most coaches and most fans (me included) thought the day of the superior conditioned athlete was at an end. It appeared that the current strategy had to be big lugs banging for 20 mpg, maybe 30 tops in a big game, in rotation with other big lugs.

What happened to KU was that VCU starters could go 35-40 mpg full bore and do it with, amont other things, a 260 pounder in the paint. This denied KU's season long advantage of depth keeping the muscled up Twins and perimeters fresh by being substituted for 10-20 minutes a game.

Self obviously thought the 3 game in 3 day grind of the Conference tourney proved his heavy players were in good enough shape to go a full 40 in a Madness game if ever needed.

But Shaka and VCU proved the soundness of Wooden's strategy even in the age of XTReme Muscle and XTReme Cheap Shotting.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Brady could have added 15 pounds and walked around like Bill Bixby from the old Incredible Hulk TV show, but he would have lost quickness and speed needed for help defense and, besides, Self had Travis and Mario for muscle at the 3.

This sort of analysis can go on and on about every player.

In the case of Withey, Self apparently decided last season that the strength of the team would be playing a power game through the Twins on offense and defense. Self apparently decided that he needed his subs in the paint to be able to come in an play a power game, too. Thomas already could, given his enormous upper body strength, but Withey could not because he appeared naturally slender and not overly strong. So: Self probably asked Withey to put on the weight and muscle Withey would need to play a power game in the paint as a sub for the Twins. Self figured they needed him much bigger, to deal with the 260-300 pounders KU sees from time to time. He probably knew the team would mostly be slowing it down to play through the Twins, so he decided to forego Withey's greatest natural strength--his mobility which lets his great height and reach get to shots and block them. It made some sense too, because KU had skillful perimeter defenders that could funnel most guys right to the post defense. Withey, so the thinking probably went, could still block shots at a high weight, since the perimeter defense would funnel them right to him. No need for Cole Aldrich's Mad Stork mobility.

Withey certainly tried. He came in strong and heavy early in the season, and only seemed to need some experience to fit in.

Instead, Withey appeared to get very, very sick for an extended period of time, at least half to 2/3s of the season. He appeared to lose all his weight and strength gains and then some. He simply could not play the kind of power game Self had chosen for KU and for him.

The question this year is: what kind of game will Self choose for KU this season.

I have speculated that it could be a running game. That kind of game might be good for Withey to play at a lighter weight.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaylark,

Good points. Weight conditioning is a complex and tricky set of trade-offs and ultimately part science (calories in vs. calories burned, muscle mass vs. fat, distribution of muscle mass, etc.) and part art (guessing at how the preceding variables can be manipulated for optimal trade off on overall athletic performance and on how health will be affected by such acute intervention in diet and activity).

I suspect the truth is that players are not always optimized for their athleticism and ability to go 40 minutes. Perhaps Chenowith would have been better at a lighter weight, but perhaps Roy thought the team needed a big lug in the paint to contend with those on the opposition.

As we see year after year, in a team game like basketball, players are frequently being asked to play out of position, to curb one aspect of their potential and exploit another in a coach's pursuit of an optimal trade-off of talents to be combined into a team.

Every glue man on KU has a much more diversified game than he shows at KU.

And I suspect many impact players could do many more glue tasks than they do in any given game.

Weight and strength of each player at each position is a trade-off decision.

Tyshawn could easily muscle up to 220, and bang the heck out of a lot of guards, but he would lose some of that lightening quickness that is his most pronounced match-up advantage. And since other players can be muscled up on the perimeter to accomplish the same goal of banging on defense, Tyshawn is muscled up just enough keep him from getting pushed around.

Tyrel Reed could have played much lighter and been much quicker (as he was already the first or second fastest guy on the team striaghtline even at his muscled up weight), but Self had TT, EJ and Selby for lightening warfare.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm taking a wait and see with Withey.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

"Some Possible Reasons Deandre Decided to Let the LOI Deadline Pass"

~Hates writing at deadline as much as print journalists do.

~Thinks his penmanship needs more work.

~Wants to torment his father a while longer for the 16,000 times dad has said, "Take out the trash, Deandre."

~It is taking longer than expected to return all the Longhorn merchandize after discovering Texas hasn't even squandered as many national championship opps as KU has won.

~Waiting for Barnes to stop marathon crying jag on his doorstep about Deandre's decision to attend Kansas.

~Stuck on hold calling 911 to alert them that Cal is standing on his roof and threatening to choke himself with mousse, if Deandre doesn't change his mind about choosing KU.

~Remembered he had to drive up to OKC and receive an honorary degree from the Carl Henry School of Division One Bargaining.

~Still waiting for in-home with ghost of James Naismith, who has been busy signing up the other four recruits before closing hard on Numero Uno--Deandre.

~"In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."

Michael Sillman 2 years, 11 months ago

I keep seeing all of these postings about getting Withey heavier and it makes me nervous.

I hope that the KU trainer makes him stronger and improves his cardio but does not go wild on the weight thing. Withey runs the cort well and moves quickly to block shots.

Excess weight is not a good thing. I'd like to see Withey have more stamina than Cole Aldrich developed during his time at Kansas.

I've also always felt that weight gain ruined Eric Chenowith. In his freshman year, Chenowith ran the floor right alongside the forwards and guards. After the weight gain, he became a heavy-footed plodder and lost his impact on the game.

lee3022 2 years, 11 months ago

ESPM said today that DD can still submit a national letter of intent within the next two weeks if he signed it before today.

Looking more likely that he simply enrolls which commits him also.

Jamari sounds mighty good for the 141st player in the country. His inexperience is likely what has kept him lower on the recruiting boards.

waywardJay 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't remember him being listed at 220 a week ago... I think he gained 15 pounds in a week.... If only this sort of Weight Gain would Impact Withey !

jayhawker97 2 years, 11 months ago

get this: KU will have another twins, monstrous twins: TRob & Traylor! next season, KU will again rise to #1 defense team!

i can't wait! rock chalk!

jhawkr 2 years, 11 months ago

We have to hope his AAU coach is right on in his assessment.

With any luck he is as level headed and hard working as portrayed. Anything close to the motor and drive of TRob should be exciting to watch. And here's to someone putting out 100% and staying on board for 3 to 4 years.

Mr. Traylor, please pack your bags for Lawrence and get acquainted with your team and what the town has to offer this summer !!

ldjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I do not blame DeAndre, in fact I understand him perfectly on that he wants to pursue his dream, which is reportedly playing at Austin. But as a man (DeAndre) and an organisation (IMG Acdemy), it only looks bad when they make a public announcement to promise one thing, and later fails to do so. I am sure many KU fans killed their computer by refreshing on this website on Thursday to look for DeAndre's final word and felt being let down.