Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jayhawks go 1-1-1 on D-Day

Jamari Traylor picks KU; Trevor Lacey taps UA; DeAndre Daniels delays

Kansas basketball recruits Jamari Traylor, DeAndre Daniels and Trevor Lacey.

Kansas basketball recruits Jamari Traylor, DeAndre Daniels and Trevor Lacey.

YouTube

Jamari Traylor highlights

Jamari Traylor, who will arrive at Kansas University in a few weeks as the No. 141-ranked player in the class of 2011, in the eyes of at least one observer is much more accomplished than that.

“He is the best athlete in the 2011 class. You will see for yourself,” IMG Academies director of basketball Andy Borman exclaimed Wednesday after Traylor, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound senior power forward, signed a letter of intent with KU.

“He is very similar to Amar’e Stoudemire of the Knicks, who is considered one of the best athletes in the NBA. Athletically, that’s a pretty accurate comparison,” added Borman, who played at Duke.

Traylor — he averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks for IMG last season — chose KU over Oklahoma State, Indiana and Texas Tech. IMG teammate DeAndre Daniels, who was expected to sign with KU, Texas or Oregon Wednesday, instead postponed his decision a day. Another top KU target, Trevor Lacey, signed with Alabama on the final day of the spring signing period.

“I don’t look at any ranking as anything to me. I don’t feel that is accurate,” said Traylor, a late bloomer who grew up playing football on the South Side of Chicago, not taking up basketball until his sophomore year of high school.

“I know I am a freak athlete who will never give up. I have a never-die attitude. I’m really physical. I dive all over the place. I hate to lose. I love to win. I try to do whatever I can to make that happen.”

KU coach Bill Self noticed that during the recruiting process.

“He’s a young guy that really wants to be good,” Self said of the player who followed his high school coach and mentor, Loren Jackson, to IMG for his senior season after Jackson landed the coaching job at the Bradenton, Fla., school. “He’s got a motor very similar to Thomas (Robinson), and he’s an athlete that at 6-7 can basically guard all five positions. We think he will be an immediate and major contributor for us.”

Traylor said he was sold on KU during his April 22-24 official visit.

“The campus ... I fell in love with it on the first day,” Traylor said. “I like the way the coaches plan on using me. I like them as coaches. I like the players. They’re a good group of guys as well.

“Coach (Danny) Manning is one of the best coaches as far as developing guys,” added Traylor, who said he figures to play mostly power forward until he develops perimeter skills as well. “He has gotten a lot of guys to the NBA. Recently he’s going to get the Morris twins in. Coach Self is driven for success. He can make me into a the best player I can be.”

Analysts believe Traylor has a huge upside considering he took up basketball midway through high school.

“I was a football player until I met my coach, Loren Jackson. He put me on the court, where I guess I was a hit,” Traylor said. “He said I had a lot of talent and could lead me into being a good player. I listened to him. He got me in position to make a success out of my life.” added Traylor, who played for Jackson at Fenger High, Julian High and IMG.

Jackson — he said Traylor did well on his standardized test and after completing some coursework at IMG should qualify academically at KU — is proud of his prize pupil.

“KU can expect a great athlete that will provide high energy, interior toughness along with Thomas Robinson, and a young man that’s going to work every day,” Jackson said. “He’s physically ready to play college basketball right now.”

Self, of course, doesn’t care about the ranking before his name.

“We were very fortunate in the spring period to get Braeden Anderson (power forward, Canada) and sign Jamari inside because they both give us immediate contribution and depth,” Self said. “I really feel Jamari could be a sleeper that everybody will say, ‘Where did you get him?’ a couple of years from now in a similar way they did the Morris twins. He’s very young basketball-wise. He’s a sponge and wants to learn. I really think he’s going to get good, fast.”

Lacey is Bama-bound

Lacey, a 6-3 guard from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., chose Alabama over KU, Auburn and Kentucky.

He sat at a table in his high school gym with caps from Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky and Alabama A&M (the KU hat was missing) in front of him. He pretended he was signing his name and said, “I just signed with the University of Alabama.”

He said he was awed by KU during his campus visit. “Just because every year they’re a national championship contender,” he said, noting he ultimately chose Alabama because, “it felt like home.”

It’s been rumored he may not qualify for college. “I wouldn’t have signed if I couldn’t have qualified,” said Lacey, who said he made his decision three days ago.

Daniels delay

Daniels let the signing period close without inking with a school. That means this morning he can only sign a financial aid agreement, not a letter-of-intent with KU, Texas or Oregon. He in theory would be free to attend any school since he hadn’t inked a letter-of-intent.

“The father wants to make sure DeAndre makes the right decision,” Dinos Trigonis, Daniels’ AAU coach, told Zagsblog.com. Zagsblog reports that Daniels’ dad favors KU. Rivals.com’s Jerry Meyer wrote Wednesday that Texas is the choice of Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player, but things, of course, could change.

More from Traylor

• “I am not going to put my game in a box and say I am just going to be an inside player. I want to be an all-around player. I think I’ll play the 4 more than the 3.”

• “I was rooting for KU in the (NCAA) Tournament this year. I was watching ’em. When I was at Julian (High), I knew it was one of the top schools.”

• “My mom is ecstatic. She was jumping around on the phone.”

• “I am 6-7 1/2, 215. I don’t think I’m done growing.”

Big picture

KU, which has three scholarships remaining, has a current class of Traylor, Anderson and guards Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe.

Comments

haydenhawkco 2 years, 11 months ago

ESPN reports that Cam Newton's father has been conferring with Daniels on his decision.

rockchalkinit 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow we stil haven't reached a decision? Lololol

Krohnutz 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm stoked about getting this kid. I have a good feeling about him. Darnell was another kid that did not pick up basketball until later in his academic career. It turned out pretty well. Tim Duncan was a swimmer. Derrick Williams was a three star recruit for Arizona that turned into one of the best players in the country by year two.

I'm just glad to hear a kid happy to get on campus and start a collegiate career. I don't want to talk about one-and-dones, I don't want to talk about high school academic performance; I want to talk about this class of incoming freshman because they look solid to me.

As far as Daniels, doesn't this mean he cannot sign a letter of intent and has to go off financial aid for the first semester? Can somebody help me out there?

Yeah baby.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I think we should try to Get Trevor Releford to transfer to Kansas. We could use the draw that he could play with his brother.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 11 months ago

phog 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow, DD just can't wait to become a j-hawk.................

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I would rather have gotten Trevor Lacey then Traylor. I realise we need a big guy for the bench(which will now be Anderson or Traylor). But this hurts our chances of getting Deandre Daniels.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Sandeep Kalburgie 2 years, 11 months ago

DD believes the world is going to end on May 21st as proclaimed by many :D

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ negotiations can be a real B!tch..................

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe DD gets $ for every hit on kusports this week, id say the hundred times i have checked it for an update the last 2 days should be helping his cause.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 11 months ago

I have officially lost interest in the Double D announcement.

Burt Ferguson 2 years, 11 months ago

Unreal. I mean I feel for the kid trying to make an important life decision with the public eye on him, but don't put any more timelines out there until you have decided. 3 days ago, nobody thought he was going to announce yesterday anyway. Then he goes out of his way to say he is. Then says "not today, Thursday morning". There that went with no comment to address the delay or anything. Do us and yourself a favor and just let everyone know that you haven't decided yet and you will make an announcement AFTER you have come to the best decision for you.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

I have never, not even once, heard Callipari overrated or a post-season bust. Last time I checked, he had ZERO national championships, and two of his three Final 4 teams were found to have committed major recruiting violations. Is he a great recruiter, sure, but two of his Final 4 appearances came with the prime suspect in an NCAA investigation as his major player. And who wouldn't be a great recruiter if you can send an imposter to take your biggest recruit's SAT test? There's been some Self bashing on this site, and much of it likes to compare his recruiting to Cal's. HCBS may not be perfect, but I'll take him 365 days a year!!!

Kevin Heath 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess I feel as though any announcement from Daniels is rather worthless at this point. He is obviously having some trouble deciding for one reason or another. Now that the signing period is over it really matters not what he says as it is not binding. He will not be signing a letter of intent (as the last day of the signing period was yesterday), he will just be making a verbal commitment. If he says he is going to Kansas today he may decide to go to Texas in 2 weeks.

In my humblest of opinions he delayed the decision not because he needed one more day to choose, he delayed the decision because by doing so he doesn't have to choose/commit. At this point he can theoretically wait right up until the enrollment deadline for the fall semester if he wants.

I guess my thought is that no matter what he says at this point, until he is on campus and taking classes at a school things can change.

For Jamari, you made a wise decision. If Deandre follows you, that is great, but you, alone, are a fantastic addition to the team. You have chosen to come to a place which does for basketball players what Harvard does for those seeking an MBA...it opens doors and will show you a direct path to success. Will you have to work hard to get there? Absolutely. Your choice of schools has unlocked the door, now you will be guided down that path by the best in the business. Your job is to show up and work as hard as you can every day. You do that and the team will be a success, and your dreams will be realized. This is a place where good basketball players become great, and great basketball players become legends of the college game and franchise greats in the NBA.

jayhawktalk 2 years, 11 months ago

This just in, "After careful consideration, Deandre Daniels decides to end on a high note. Announces he is retiring from basketball. Those close to him say they knew this day was coming, but are surprised by the timing. Most believed that, while the announcement was inevitable, he would not retire for at least 10 - 15 yrs. Daniels could not be reached for comment. There has been some speculation he is vacationing in Bermuda, entertaining himself reading numerous college basketball forums from a sunny spot on the beach."

Robert Lofthouse 2 years, 11 months ago

Why would a 5-star basketball recruit want to play at a football school?

• he wants to be the MAN and not a team player?

• wants to easily establish a basketball legacy where none exists?

• a 20-win season is preferable to a 30+ win season?

• post season and championships don't matter?

• he prefers the beefy Longhorn mascot to the Jayhawk?

• he likes their TV deal?

With no insight on his decision-making process, IF DD chooses Texas, is there any other plausible rationale?

johnsont1 2 years, 11 months ago

5 minutes till the afternoon...

Adam Bengtson 2 years, 11 months ago

Txbball You are out of line bout recruiting. You have no idea what goes through the mind of 17 year old kids. Self is hesitant to offer the Barnes and top recruits because of 2 guys. Henry and Selby. Self is trying to build a team not a D league like over at Kentucky. I'm guessing Kentucky loves getting those guys but at some point one- and-dones get old. Self wants guys who will be here 3+ years. As fr As far as Ellis, he cannot doing anything else to convince the kid. Perry is in Lawrence seems like every weekend. The kid really likes Lawrece ad grew up a KU fan. He is enjoying the recruiting process so he doesn't regret anything. As I have stated before it is between Memphis and Kansas and Perry will eventually commit to Kansas. It probably will not be until October or November of 2011.

COJHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

saw this on ESPN insider...know nothing about the kid, but something to watch...

Now that we know definitely that Kansas has missed on Trevor Lacey (Huntsville, Ala./S. R. Butler), the Jayhawks could look to a transfer from the Pac-12 for help at the shooting guard position.

The Las Vegas Sun reported last week that former USC guard Bryce Jones has KU on his list of possibilities. Jones was the Trojans top recruit in 2010 -- rated by ESPNU as the No. 69 recruit in the nation -- but ran into trouble on coach Kevin O'Neill's team and elected to transfer midway through his freshman season.

Jones has already taken recruiting trips to UNLV, San Diego State and Gonzaga, and the Jayhawks are probably a long-shot at this point, but he remains one possibility that would make up for losing the Lacey sweepstakes.

With Jones being a native of Woodland Hills, Calif. and Gonzaga adding JuCo swingman Guy Landry to its class, UNLV and San Diego State could be the two teams to beat at this point.

TXBBall 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree with HighMajorElite. Considering what KU lost, the PT available and the number of kids KU recruited, this is a largely disappointing recruiting class. There is no denying that Self is a good regular season game coach, but the longer he is at KU, he is proving to be a very average recruiter. Consider who he lost recruits to this year: John Thompson III (Porter, Hopkins), Travis Ford (Nash), Sean Miller (Turner, Chol), Steve Lavin (Pelle), Anthony Grant (Lacey), Billy Donovan (Beal), Coach K (Rivers), and Cal (Wiltjer). And these are just the kids that seriously considered KU. And how can you call Self a great closer when Harrison Barnes, Brad Beal and Josiah Turner had all long been considered heavy KU leans when they were younger and none ended up in Lawrence? And if he was a great closer, wouldn't he have the local Perry Ellis aleady?

Let's face it, Self has brought in some great players, but the only outstanding class (Rush, Chalmers, Wright, Downs) he has gotten at KU came on the Heels of two Roy Williams' Final Fours. And seriously, Rush fell in his lap late and Xavier Henry tried about everything he could to get out of going to KU. And you can't say Self outrecruited Calipari for Selby. Calipari already had Knight and then later grabbed Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones away from Self.

I know this is negative, and I'm not bashing Self, but there are so many posters on here that think Self can do no wrong. Well, after saying he needed a "Home run" of a class, if he doesn't land Daniels, I'd say this is more like a double of a class. And if McLemore doesn't qualify, it would be a single. Good role players, but no potential NBA players. And then to have only a 3-star commitment for 2012, he needs a huge 2012, and he needs it very soon, to keep up with great recruiters like Williams, K, Calipari and Matta..

gcjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Article was dated July 2nd 2009

apeoples410 2 years, 11 months ago

I'd love Daniels to choose KU, but the kid should go to the school that he thinks is the best place and the right fit for him. Of course, I think that place is KU, but we don't want a kid who is only going along with what his parents want. That shows a lack of character to me. Let him be his own man and make the decision that's best for his future. Hopefullly he sees the light and realizes that KU is that place! Rock Chalk!

AZHawk72 2 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of rankings and all those other by-the-numbers games...

..."Here comes the judge"--there goes the Judge. The once McDonald's All-American left the land of large animals and even larger girls for the unspoiled garden spot of the Garden State, Rutgers--or, as most of us remember--that familiar bar trivia question, "What is the name of the state university of New Jersey?"

We've had so many guys ranked in the 30s, 40s, and 50s who were better that it makes one wonder if these estimates of a player's relative strengths and abilities are far more "guesstimates"--if you're there to observe Daniels, do you even pay much attention to Traylor? There is way too much hype chasing and not enough evaluating going on.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

The morning is almost over. Any word on Daniels yet?

Tony Bushard 2 years, 11 months ago

Pardon my ignorance, but where he is making this announcement at? And, what exactly is "morning"? Morning ends in 38 minutes on the east coast unless it was your 21st birthday yesterday.

boomrsoonr26 2 years, 11 months ago

The part that excites me most about the Traylor video above, lots of DUNKS. Nothing irks me more than going up weak to the rim like Markieff would do in previous seasons before learning to flush everything this year. I agree with KEITHMILES05 in that Traylor's commit had Daniels backpeddling. Different games all together, but same positions 3-4.

Nick Cole 2 years, 11 months ago

It's a little too early to tell, but Traylor compares very well to a college player by the name of Derrick Williams from UofA. You may have heard of him. All-American his sophomore year. 6'7" 210+ Lbs. Freak athlete. Not ranked high at all coming out of high school. Wants to get down there and bang his body around for loose balls. Has the "I'll show you, I want to dominate you this entire game" mentality.

Like I said, too early to tell, but he has the right body and attitude to make this happen.

Welcome aboard Traylor. You are going to look sharp in that crimson and blue next year.

jayhawktalk 2 years, 11 months ago

If he were going to Texas because he thought Lacey was going to KU, and that there may not be enough shot ops on the perimeter playing alongside Lacey, Lacey's decision could have caused a moment of introspection and need to reevaluate the opportunity at KU now that they still need perimeter firepower. I've been waiting to see this mentioned by someone else as a possibility, but since I haven't seen it, yet (did I overlook it?), thought I would throw it out there.

Sally Presson 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to KU Jamari!!! We're all so glad you chose KU and I know you'll be glad you did. there's no place like Allen Field House and we have the best coaches ever!!! KU fans are counting the days until you come and the season starts!!!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 11 months ago

DeAndre, we encouraged Ben McLemore to follow his heart, over his parent's advice. Must must do the same today. Choose Texas.

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm still clutching my rabbit's foot...

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 11 months ago

I like his dad! He seems like a smart guy!!

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

"Traylor, a good buddy of Daniels, said Wednesday he didn’t know what school Daniels would pick. He said the two don’t discuss recruiting at all."

Huh, what the Hell do they discuss?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

One thing regarding Deandre that we all have forgotten......what was the reason he decommitted from Texas in the first place:

1] Looking at the roster last year prior to the exits of three starters, was it playing time? If so, then that hurdle has been eliminated. 2] Was it looking at Coach Barnes as a coach versus a recruiter? If so, that hurdle is still there. 3] Was it "Duke-like" admissions issues? Hey, this is Texas....no hurdle at all.

If anyone has seen or heard of why, what and when, I would appreciate it if you enlighten all of us.

Despite all the rumors, I still think there is hope. If he was going to Texas, he could have committed yesterday and not worried about upstaging his teammate, Jamari. You better believe he had a long conversation with Jamari and Christian last night. Dad still loves Kansas. I hope Darrel Arthur was channeling into Deandre's dreams last night...better yet, called him up.

We'll know soon ....or not!!

omng392 2 years, 11 months ago

Keep in mind two things, first I don't remember there ever being this much hype on any of Roy's recruits, its awesome to be in the conversation year in and year out with the top recruits. Second, what really is the difference between number #25 and #200? Ok, I'll admit that the top 20 players are probably head and shoulders above everyone else, but you have to admit, even the best analyst are going to have a hard time determining 26 through 200... Point being, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough, and Self does a very good job of finding them...

REHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Any remaining scholarships this year will be given to our walk-ons, on a one-year basis. Perhaps even split up and shared. I like what Gary has just written about Traylor. And, again, Jaybate drives home some strong nails regarding the underlying health of the Jayhawk roster. With our 3 remaining scholarships, I look to see Bill Self unearth another key recruit before fall. Of the 4 recruits who have now committed, only BenMac appears to be a possible early departure. If that should transpire, then we can expect to see some really exciting ballplaying from him this season. What I would say to all of our recruits: Arrive for summer classes thinking defense. Try to spend time studying tapes of Kansas games, listen very carefully to our seasoned veterans, acquaint yourselves daily with Andrea Hudy and her training regimen, and have fun mingling and playing with Jayhawk players who have pulled down consistent league titles. All of you are in for a stupendous ride, beginning with Midnight Madness. Strive to be an essential piece of the winning puzzle. You have chosen the best site and program in America to play winning basketball and to improve your talents. O, one more thing: Practice freethrows, twice daily!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

I remember the line from the Clint Eastwood movie, Heartbreak Ridge .. something like, "Well, we're 1-1-1 now", after beating back a few Cubans on Grenada. Analogy fits.

Traylor = Grenada (an inconsequential conflict) Lacey = Vietnam (not good result, but a big deal) Daniels = Korea (unsure of outcome, but a big deal)

eway12 says he "happy with Traylor." I guess you can be "happy" if you go to the prom, with the 8th or 9th girl you asked.

shoedee above references that Self's 2004 class (Robinson, Jackson, etc.), the one ahead of the Rush, Chalmers, etc., was just solid, basically comparing that to this season and our prospects for our 2012 class. However, on paper, there is no comparison:

2004 Class: Robinson - 5 stars #27 Jackson - 4 stars #54 Kaun - 4 stars #34 Giles - 4 stars #62 Galindo - 4 stars #65

Compare to 2011 McLemore - 4 stars #34 rivals/#54 scout Tharpe - 3 stars #92 rivals/#88 scout Anderson - 3 stars Not Ranked in either Traylor - 3 stars #141 rivals/NR in scout

We're not even in the same ballpark if we fail to get Daniels.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

" after completing some coursework at IMG should qualify academically at KU "

let's hope so................

Chris Bruning 2 years, 11 months ago

I am hoping Trevor Lacey was just crowd pleasing yesterday, but i doubt it.

eway12 2 years, 11 months ago

Here's what happened yesterday. Daniels was ready to choose UT. Then Jamari calls him up excited, telling him he's going to be a Jayhawk. Daniels thinks about how his buddy is going to whip his arse twice next year and begins to reconsider. I still think Daniels will end up choosing Texas, but I'm happy with Traylor, and honestly I'm happy with our recruiting class. Well done, HCBS.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 11 months ago

I just worry about PT, I feel like last year we had guys really battling for the 1,2, and 3 spots and guys were not getting enough court time as it was. Next year it looks like the 3/4 spots are going to be loaded....TRel, BMac, DD?, JTaylor, Teahan (if hes not a 2)

shoedee 2 years, 11 months ago

Scholarships- I think we would do well to "save" the two extras, assuming Daniels signs. Next year we gain 2 with graduating seniors (Teehan and TT). Maybe TRobb goes pro? This would give us 5 if my math is correct and we would then be positioned to sign a monster 2012 class.

shoedee 2 years, 11 months ago

Agreeing with Jaybate's insights, I think it is helpful to remember that the signing class before Rush, Chalmers, Wright (and Downers) was solid but not spectacular (Kaun, DJack, RussRobb, Galindo and Giles). It then was a huge boost to get Arthur and Collins in the 3rd year. Aren't the Harrison twins 2013? 2012 should be a spectacular class for us and complement nicely a solid (but not spectacular) 2011 class. We've grown accustomed to winning every year, but it's fair to expect in an age of OADs that it takes time to build around the 3-4 year guys with the occasional addition of a OAD, in order to make a deep run. I think this is Self's style- I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone gets as much mileage out of OADers than Calipari. As a loyal KU fan for nearly all of my 40-year-old life, ... who remembers our program was solid, but not spectacular under Owens, who reached the heights under Brown and then was solid and occasionally spectacular under Williams, ... once again reaching the heights under Self (just think of "how" we won in 1988 and 2008- amazing, huh?) ... we just need to embrace who we are as a program and enjoy the journey each year as much as anything else. The Daniels saga drags on into the morning, but I'm having fun. It's great to be a Jayhawk fan (all the time)!

jayhawkarmy 2 years, 11 months ago

Help me out here? I want to know if I read this right? We still have 3 scholarships remaining after we sign Deandre (if he chooses KU)? If so what will happen to those scholarships that are left?

doolindalton 2 years, 11 months ago

One need only look at the roster of Butler University to determine the number Rivals high school five star players needed to compete for national championships (0).

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

When the bovine excrement finishes talking, and dads and/or moms and their sons have to decide about what really walks, who they want to entrust their kid to...when check book recruiting is not the ultimate criterion of program attractiveness, only a handful of other coaches remotely compare with Self...with Self's strengths, magnetism and character, and increasingly with his record of winning and getting guys drafted.

You can't help some people.

You can't help people that meet Bill Self and, say, John Calipari, that study their careers, that meet Danny Manning and World Wide Wes, that study KU and UK traditions (especially UK's legacy of significantly greater corruption than KU), that understand KU plays a pro style game and offers superb coaching and commitment to education, while UK offers AAU on Steroids offense and the camaraderie of World Wide Wes), and then choose UK.

Self apparently loses some guys that like the easiest path, too.

Self apparently loses some guys to check book recruiting.

Self apparently loses some guys that need surrogate SAT test takers.

Self definitely loses guys, like Lacey, that want to stay where they grew up.

Self apparently loses some guys that want to keep playing AAU ball in D1.

But he gets his share of the guys that are talented and ferocious competitors that like to work "hard" to get better.

He gets his share of guys capable of playing for teams that actually win 30 plus games a season, rather than play for teams that just get hyped to do so, but don't.

And Self gets more than his share of the guys capable of getting so much better under him that they wind up getting drafted by the NBA, or make good livings over seas.

With this class, anyone who sticks a hand in the newly-restocked, Allen Field House aquarium is once again apt to lose a couple fingers, whether or not it can make a ring run again.

Self certainly gets his share of highly ranked players (e.g., Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers, Julian, Sherron, Cole, Xavier, Josh, etc.).

And he seems to get more than his share, when players begin to doubt where they are going, or discover they've been drawn into troubled situations (e.g., Xavier backing out of the Memphis swamp about to be drained, as Cal jumped), and Josh backing out of the UTenn swamp about to be drained as Perle moved toward shame and unemployment.

The longer Deandre waits, the more uncertain Deandre gets about all the BS he has been fed by the suede shoe type coaches, the more likely Self is to land Deandre.

Go, Bill, go!!!

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Self learned from watching Ben Howland, a lesser coach, but still a smart one, who tried to extend a run of big seasons with OADs and fell into the long term rebuilding abyss, as a result.

I am not suggesting Self passed on any great players. He would have signed Lacey in a minute. H would have signed any of the top players that went elsewhere.

What I'm saying is that he hedged his bets on those super players with these lesser ones. He knew he was starting out behind the curve, because it wasn't certain Selby and the Twins would be gone until relatively late. But he did not do the stupid thing and say, "Hold the scholies for the superstars next season." He "reloaded" what could be reloaded.--the long term nucleus.

Repeat after me: you have to keep reloading your nucleus of long termers if you want to keep winning at a high percentage. They, and not the OADs and 2 year superstars are the foundation of a D1 program these days. If you have to choose between rebuilding the long termers and the short timers, rebuild the long termers; then live to fight another day for the superstars. With the long termers solid, then every season is just one OAD, or two, away from a ring run.

But let your long termers dwindle in quality and quantity, and you are doomed to the long term rebuilding abyss very soon.

We may have gotten what we truly needed this recruiting year.

And Deandre, an apparent match-up superstar type, could still sign.

When Mick and Keef wrote their immortal lyrics, back before Keef looked like a occult scare crow embalmed with heroin, they were singing about trying "sometimes."

Bill Self tries "all the time."

Bill Self is as deeply focused on recruiting as Mick and Keef were obsessed with rhythm and blues, and Howlin' Wolf.

Deandre may yet be a Jayhawk.

It was Self that landed Xavier two years ago and Josh last year, not Cal.

Self has proven from the time he landed Brandon Rush, that when top players get all Hamlet at choice time, he resolves doubt probably better than the suede shoe set.

He is a remarkable closer.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

"You can't always get what you want, babe, But if you try sometimes, well you just might find You get what you need Oh baby, yeah, yeah!" --Rolling Stones

Self trolled for the biggest, most short-lived fish for the AFH aquarium--the Green Cashed OADs (tank life rarely more than a year), but didn't net one...yet.

Yet Self, the learned ichthyologist, may well have just gotten what he needed for the aquarium...the cornerstones of a stable aggressive fish community for the next three years.

Look in Self's seine so far. Look at what he has brought home from AggressiveFish.com for Forest's Fish Tank.

Player/Likely Yrs @ KU

Piranha Tharpe/ 3-4 years. This guy has D1 Ring Grade PG written all over him. He's not Derek Rose OAD guy gets you close only to leave. He is a guy who will be here until the pieces come together and be a terrific D1 PG.

Snakehead Ben/ 1-3 years. This guy is going to be a big time player, maybe even good enough to jump his second season, maybe even after his first, if he can protect as a freshman.

Alligator Gar Anderson. 3-4 years. I know, everyone is down on the Canadian. This is just prejudice. He's probably two years away from a 20 minute guy.

Goliath Tiger Traylor. 3-4 years. Self says he will play a lot his first season. This guy oozes toughness. He's an ideal back-up for TRob and Withey...if he can protect.

Tharpe, Anderson, and Traylor are all guys who are likely going to be at least sound D1 players after a year of freshman struggles. This means the role player positions are probably filled for the next 3-4 years. This means Self has something solid to plug OADs into for the next 3-4 seasons. This means Self does not have to resort to Cal's AAU team concept for the foreseeable future--a concept that year in and year out proves unable to win a ring.

And Tharpe and Traylor, especially Traylor, are likely to exceed expectations.

Sans Deandre, this is a solid class.

Add Deandre and this is a monster class.

We wanted superstars that leave after one, or two years to keep the program at 30 plus wins this season and a bald dome favorite to win it all again.

What we landed are the pieces to avoid a big, multi-year Florida/Billy Donovan style collapse after some big years.

What we landed are some good ball players that will grow into very tough customers and create an infrastructure for plugging an OAD, or two into, each season for the foreseeable future.

Self learned from watching Donovan, a great coach himself, who tried to stay on top gambling everything on replacement blue chips, only to learn they jump quick and set the stage for several years of rebuilding, not just one.

bradynsdad 2 years, 11 months ago

I think the best part is he didnt start playing til his sophomore year. The morris' didn't start tip late either and look how they turned out. If he has only been playing two years then this kid could turn into a beast for us. In my opinion I think Daniels planned on ku until traylor announced ku. I think if traylor announced another school Daniels commits to ku. Now he is wondering how much playing time he will get, and with him and traylor virtually wanting to play the same position it must mean Daniels knows how good of a player traylor is going to become. Sorry for the long sentence.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 11 months ago

These guys should be alright with a little depth in the trenches now, alhtough one more would be great. I agree with the hungry 3 star also. Maybe coach is learning about the sandbaggers.

duanep5ku 2 years, 11 months ago

I for one would rather have a hungry 3 star over a soft 5 star any-day. So welcome Jamari and I love the attitude you bring to the team already so forget the rankings Kansas fans because this guy will be a diamond in the rough. A player KU needs and a great get for Kansas.

drwho127 2 years, 11 months ago

I am excited we got Traylor. He will develop an all-around game with Manning. Our defense looks like it got a boost with him. If he and TRob are on the floor, we will have rebounding and shot-blocking.

Let's hope it turns into 2-1 tomorrow! Rock Chalk!!

KJD 2 years, 11 months ago

Julian Wright is a KU player he reminds me of first. How's his high post passing skills? HCBS: "an athlete that at 6-7 can basically guard all five positions".

That's four strong recruits in this class. These coaches are outstanding year in and year out in everything.