Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jayhawks go 1-1-1 on D-Day

Jamari Traylor picks KU; Trevor Lacey taps UA; DeAndre Daniels delays

Kansas basketball recruits Jamari Traylor, DeAndre Daniels and Trevor Lacey.

Kansas basketball recruits Jamari Traylor, DeAndre Daniels and Trevor Lacey.

YouTube

Jamari Traylor highlights

Jamari Traylor, who will arrive at Kansas University in a few weeks as the No. 141-ranked player in the class of 2011, in the eyes of at least one observer is much more accomplished than that.

“He is the best athlete in the 2011 class. You will see for yourself,” IMG Academies director of basketball Andy Borman exclaimed Wednesday after Traylor, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound senior power forward, signed a letter of intent with KU.

“He is very similar to Amar’e Stoudemire of the Knicks, who is considered one of the best athletes in the NBA. Athletically, that’s a pretty accurate comparison,” added Borman, who played at Duke.

Traylor — he averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks for IMG last season — chose KU over Oklahoma State, Indiana and Texas Tech. IMG teammate DeAndre Daniels, who was expected to sign with KU, Texas or Oregon Wednesday, instead postponed his decision a day. Another top KU target, Trevor Lacey, signed with Alabama on the final day of the spring signing period.

“I don’t look at any ranking as anything to me. I don’t feel that is accurate,” said Traylor, a late bloomer who grew up playing football on the South Side of Chicago, not taking up basketball until his sophomore year of high school.

“I know I am a freak athlete who will never give up. I have a never-die attitude. I’m really physical. I dive all over the place. I hate to lose. I love to win. I try to do whatever I can to make that happen.”

KU coach Bill Self noticed that during the recruiting process.

“He’s a young guy that really wants to be good,” Self said of the player who followed his high school coach and mentor, Loren Jackson, to IMG for his senior season after Jackson landed the coaching job at the Bradenton, Fla., school. “He’s got a motor very similar to Thomas (Robinson), and he’s an athlete that at 6-7 can basically guard all five positions. We think he will be an immediate and major contributor for us.”

Traylor said he was sold on KU during his April 22-24 official visit.

“The campus ... I fell in love with it on the first day,” Traylor said. “I like the way the coaches plan on using me. I like them as coaches. I like the players. They’re a good group of guys as well.

“Coach (Danny) Manning is one of the best coaches as far as developing guys,” added Traylor, who said he figures to play mostly power forward until he develops perimeter skills as well. “He has gotten a lot of guys to the NBA. Recently he’s going to get the Morris twins in. Coach Self is driven for success. He can make me into a the best player I can be.”

Analysts believe Traylor has a huge upside considering he took up basketball midway through high school.

“I was a football player until I met my coach, Loren Jackson. He put me on the court, where I guess I was a hit,” Traylor said. “He said I had a lot of talent and could lead me into being a good player. I listened to him. He got me in position to make a success out of my life.” added Traylor, who played for Jackson at Fenger High, Julian High and IMG.

Jackson — he said Traylor did well on his standardized test and after completing some coursework at IMG should qualify academically at KU — is proud of his prize pupil.

“KU can expect a great athlete that will provide high energy, interior toughness along with Thomas Robinson, and a young man that’s going to work every day,” Jackson said. “He’s physically ready to play college basketball right now.”

Self, of course, doesn’t care about the ranking before his name.

“We were very fortunate in the spring period to get Braeden Anderson (power forward, Canada) and sign Jamari inside because they both give us immediate contribution and depth,” Self said. “I really feel Jamari could be a sleeper that everybody will say, ‘Where did you get him?’ a couple of years from now in a similar way they did the Morris twins. He’s very young basketball-wise. He’s a sponge and wants to learn. I really think he’s going to get good, fast.”

Lacey is Bama-bound

Lacey, a 6-3 guard from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., chose Alabama over KU, Auburn and Kentucky.

He sat at a table in his high school gym with caps from Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky and Alabama A&M (the KU hat was missing) in front of him. He pretended he was signing his name and said, “I just signed with the University of Alabama.”

He said he was awed by KU during his campus visit. “Just because every year they’re a national championship contender,” he said, noting he ultimately chose Alabama because, “it felt like home.”

It’s been rumored he may not qualify for college. “I wouldn’t have signed if I couldn’t have qualified,” said Lacey, who said he made his decision three days ago.

Daniels delay

Daniels let the signing period close without inking with a school. That means this morning he can only sign a financial aid agreement, not a letter-of-intent with KU, Texas or Oregon. He in theory would be free to attend any school since he hadn’t inked a letter-of-intent.

“The father wants to make sure DeAndre makes the right decision,” Dinos Trigonis, Daniels’ AAU coach, told Zagsblog.com. Zagsblog reports that Daniels’ dad favors KU. Rivals.com’s Jerry Meyer wrote Wednesday that Texas is the choice of Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player, but things, of course, could change.

Traylor, a good buddy of Daniels, said Wednesday he didn’t know what school Daniels would pick. He said the two don’t discuss recruiting at all.

More from Traylor

• “I am not going to put my game in a box and say I am just going to be an inside player. I want to be an all-around player. I think I’ll play the 4 more than the 3.”

• “I was rooting for KU in the (NCAA) Tournament this year. I was watching ’em. When I was at Julian (High), I knew it was one of the top schools.”

• “My mom is ecstatic. She was jumping around on the phone.”

• “I am 6-7 1/2, 215. I don’t think I’m done growing.”

Big picture

KU, which has three scholarships remaining, has a current class of Traylor, Anderson and guards Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe.

Comments

KJD 3 years, 5 months ago

Julian Wright is a KU player he reminds me of first. How's his high post passing skills? HCBS: "an athlete that at 6-7 can basically guard all five positions".

That's four strong recruits in this class. These coaches are outstanding year in and year out in everything.

hawk316 3 years, 5 months ago

Two comments especially caught my eye (and excited me!). First, Borman's observation:

“He is the best athlete in the 2011 class."

Then, Traylor's remark near the end of the article:

“I am 6-7 1/2, 215. I don’t think I’m done growing.”

drwho127 3 years, 5 months ago

I am excited we got Traylor. He will develop an all-around game with Manning. Our defense looks like it got a boost with him. If he and TRob are on the floor, we will have rebounding and shot-blocking.

Let's hope it turns into 2-1 tomorrow! Rock Chalk!!

KJD 3 years, 5 months ago

Traylor and TRob together sound like twin DBlock motors running on the court at the same time.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

You can't help but like his attitude..if his work ethic matches, he could be a steal for KU.

duanep5ku 3 years, 5 months ago

I for one would rather have a hungry 3 star over a soft 5 star any-day. So welcome Jamari and I love the attitude you bring to the team already so forget the rankings Kansas fans because this guy will be a diamond in the rough. A player KU needs and a great get for Kansas.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Haven't seen too many 'soft' 5 stars but your point is well taken.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

These guys should be alright with a little depth in the trenches now, alhtough one more would be great. I agree with the hungry 3 star also. Maybe coach is learning about the sandbaggers.

selfishhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Really? Self misses on the top players he wanted, signs some lower ranked players late, and your assessment is that HCBS and staff maybe learning?

bradynsdad 3 years, 5 months ago

I think the best part is he didnt start playing til his sophomore year. The morris' didn't start tip late either and look how they turned out. If he has only been playing two years then this kid could turn into a beast for us. In my opinion I think Daniels planned on ku until traylor announced ku. I think if traylor announced another school Daniels commits to ku. Now he is wondering how much playing time he will get, and with him and traylor virtually wanting to play the same position it must mean Daniels knows how good of a player traylor is going to become. Sorry for the long sentence.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 5 months ago

Daniels and Traylor will not play the same position. Traylor is a big and DD is a 3. They are mutually exclusive.

bradynsdad 3 years, 5 months ago

Although that may be true why play a guy who is 6'8 at the three and a guy who is 6'7 at the four? Plus they both in interviews said they have aspirations of playing the three. Whatever the case it all comes down to where self wants them to play which is going to be the four. Self will not chance putting either one at the three considering we still have plenty of guards far more qualified at the three. I think they will both still get ample playing time but I have a feeling Daniels might think traylor is talented enough to earn his playing time. Just my opinion I could be completely wrong.

KUFan90 3 years, 5 months ago

I have to disagree with your opinion. Daniels is a Top 10 player who even at 6-8 is a perimeter player. I'm excited about Jamari signing on but he is a raw interior only player at this time.

There is no way Daniels is scared of Traylor stealing his minutes if he were to sign at KU.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

No they aren't. Traylor and Releford will probably share some minutes at the 3 and maybe even the 4. Traylor would certainly absorb at least a portion of DD's court time. All three of these guys are capable of playing the 2,3 or 4. That's why I love 'em!

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

Well first, Traylor saying he will be playing primarily the 4 is more than bold. This isn't IMG. He will play wherever Bill wants him to play. And if Bill wants him to lockdown the 2 spot defensively, he'll lock down the 2 spot defensively. Secondly, we don't know if Mac can play D, which would seriously inhibit him being on the floor at all.

I agree that his minutes will mostly be at the 4 because we are depleted, but if he plays defense at the 3 better than DD or Mac, you better believe he'll make a dent in their minutes.

All of this is probably for not, since I imagine DD will go against his fathers wishes and pursue his dream of being the next Kevin Durant at Texas.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"You can't always get what you want, babe, But if you try sometimes, well you just might find You get what you need Oh baby, yeah, yeah!" --Rolling Stones

Self trolled for the biggest, most short-lived fish for the AFH aquarium--the Green Cashed OADs (tank life rarely more than a year), but didn't net one...yet.

Yet Self, the learned ichthyologist, may well have just gotten what he needed for the aquarium...the cornerstones of a stable aggressive fish community for the next three years.

Look in Self's seine so far. Look at what he has brought home from AggressiveFish.com for Forest's Fish Tank.

Player/Likely Yrs @ KU

Piranha Tharpe/ 3-4 years. This guy has D1 Ring Grade PG written all over him. He's not Derek Rose OAD guy gets you close only to leave. He is a guy who will be here until the pieces come together and be a terrific D1 PG.

Snakehead Ben/ 1-3 years. This guy is going to be a big time player, maybe even good enough to jump his second season, maybe even after his first, if he can protect as a freshman.

Alligator Gar Anderson. 3-4 years. I know, everyone is down on the Canadian. This is just prejudice. He's probably two years away from a 20 minute guy.

Goliath Tiger Traylor. 3-4 years. Self says he will play a lot his first season. This guy oozes toughness. He's an ideal back-up for TRob and Withey...if he can protect.

Tharpe, Anderson, and Traylor are all guys who are likely going to be at least sound D1 players after a year of freshman struggles. This means the role player positions are probably filled for the next 3-4 years. This means Self has something solid to plug OADs into for the next 3-4 seasons. This means Self does not have to resort to Cal's AAU team concept for the foreseeable future--a concept that year in and year out proves unable to win a ring.

And Tharpe and Traylor, especially Traylor, are likely to exceed expectations.

Sans Deandre, this is a solid class.

Add Deandre and this is a monster class.

We wanted superstars that leave after one, or two years to keep the program at 30 plus wins this season and a bald dome favorite to win it all again.

What we landed are the pieces to avoid a big, multi-year Florida/Billy Donovan style collapse after some big years.

What we landed are some good ball players that will grow into very tough customers and create an infrastructure for plugging an OAD, or two into, each season for the foreseeable future.

Self learned from watching Donovan, a great coach himself, who tried to stay on top gambling everything on replacement blue chips, only to learn they jump quick and set the stage for several years of rebuilding, not just one.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Self learned from watching Ben Howland, a lesser coach, but still a smart one, who tried to extend a run of big seasons with OADs and fell into the long term rebuilding abyss, as a result.

I am not suggesting Self passed on any great players. He would have signed Lacey in a minute. H would have signed any of the top players that went elsewhere.

What I'm saying is that he hedged his bets on those super players with these lesser ones. He knew he was starting out behind the curve, because it wasn't certain Selby and the Twins would be gone until relatively late. But he did not do the stupid thing and say, "Hold the scholies for the superstars next season." He "reloaded" what could be reloaded.--the long term nucleus.

Repeat after me: you have to keep reloading your nucleus of long termers if you want to keep winning at a high percentage. They, and not the OADs and 2 year superstars are the foundation of a D1 program these days. If you have to choose between rebuilding the long termers and the short timers, rebuild the long termers; then live to fight another day for the superstars. With the long termers solid, then every season is just one OAD, or two, away from a ring run.

But let your long termers dwindle in quality and quantity, and you are doomed to the long term rebuilding abyss very soon.

We may have gotten what we truly needed this recruiting year.

And Deandre, an apparent match-up superstar type, could still sign.

When Mick and Keef wrote their immortal lyrics, back before Keef looked like a occult scare crow embalmed with heroin, they were singing about trying "sometimes."

Bill Self tries "all the time."

Bill Self is as deeply focused on recruiting as Mick and Keef were obsessed with rhythm and blues, and Howlin' Wolf.

Deandre may yet be a Jayhawk.

It was Self that landed Xavier two years ago and Josh last year, not Cal.

Self has proven from the time he landed Brandon Rush, that when top players get all Hamlet at choice time, he resolves doubt probably better than the suede shoe set.

He is a remarkable closer.

KGphoto 3 years, 5 months ago

Surely he would take any of the top recruits, anytime. But they would still have to play his system. They would still ride pine if they wouldn't/couldn't D-up. They would still have to play where he wanted them, shoot when he wanted, pass when he wanted, get screamed at when they didn't.

The top 10 or so players are too invested in themselves to give up the freedom of style, for the shackles of team play.

So of course he'll take the talent, but reloading is really just a product of his refusal to go all "Cal", or give in and be a "Barnes" by letting the kids run the show. Selby probably would've thrived in Cal's circus, but this is Bill's show.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

When the bovine excrement finishes talking, and dads and/or moms and their sons have to decide about what really walks, who they want to entrust their kid to...when check book recruiting is not the ultimate criterion of program attractiveness, only a handful of other coaches remotely compare with Self...with Self's strengths, magnetism and character, and increasingly with his record of winning and getting guys drafted.

You can't help some people.

You can't help people that meet Bill Self and, say, John Calipari, that study their careers, that meet Danny Manning and World Wide Wes, that study KU and UK traditions (especially UK's legacy of significantly greater corruption than KU), that understand KU plays a pro style game and offers superb coaching and commitment to education, while UK offers AAU on Steroids offense and the camaraderie of World Wide Wes), and then choose UK.

Self apparently loses some guys that like the easiest path, too.

Self apparently loses some guys to check book recruiting.

Self apparently loses some guys that need surrogate SAT test takers.

Self definitely loses guys, like Lacey, that want to stay where they grew up.

Self apparently loses some guys that want to keep playing AAU ball in D1.

But he gets his share of the guys that are talented and ferocious competitors that like to work "hard" to get better.

He gets his share of guys capable of playing for teams that actually win 30 plus games a season, rather than play for teams that just get hyped to do so, but don't.

And Self gets more than his share of the guys capable of getting so much better under him that they wind up getting drafted by the NBA, or make good livings over seas.

With this class, anyone who sticks a hand in the newly-restocked, Allen Field House aquarium is once again apt to lose a couple fingers, whether or not it can make a ring run again.

Self certainly gets his share of highly ranked players (e.g., Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers, Julian, Sherron, Cole, Xavier, Josh, etc.).

And he seems to get more than his share, when players begin to doubt where they are going, or discover they've been drawn into troubled situations (e.g., Xavier backing out of the Memphis swamp about to be drained, as Cal jumped), and Josh backing out of the UTenn swamp about to be drained as Perle moved toward shame and unemployment.

The longer Deandre waits, the more uncertain Deandre gets about all the BS he has been fed by the suede shoe type coaches, the more likely Self is to land Deandre.

Go, Bill, go!!!

doolindalton 3 years, 5 months ago

One need only look at the roster of Butler University to determine the number Rivals high school five star players needed to compete for national championships (0).

nicka 3 years, 5 months ago

Or you can look at the teams that have actually WON championships (uconn, duke, unc, ku....). Who wants to be runner up?

John Boyle 3 years, 5 months ago

They came darn close and there were numerous teams with multiple 5 star athletes who didn't even make the elite eight. So the analogy works. You can be successful without 5 star athletes. As long as you have kids that want to work their behinds off to get better and are willing to learn from their coaches and assistant coaches. The rating system is just that. Its a rating system. It does not guarantee future success. Yes the five stars have the best potential for success but often times are so full of themselves that they don't have what it takes to succeed as a team. In the words of the immortal Dennis Miller "this is just my opinion, I could be wrong."

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Dennis Miller is far from immortal. Or funny.

doolindalton 3 years, 5 months ago

Personally, while I love winning the NC, beyond that illusive distinction, I prefer to watch players who give 150 percent, play defense, execute fundamentals consistently and exhibit an understanding of the game. Last season, that title went to Butler. The season before, Duke was extremely fortunate to win the national title; Butler was the better team. The rivals stuff is fun, but it's really just entertainment when compared to a coach's assessment of who can play and who can't. Self thinks Traylor can play in his first year. Good enough for me.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

Or you can look at the hundreds of other schools that don't have 5-stars and do absolutely nothing at tourney time. The big recruits are still a necessity if you want to win a national championship.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Butler is the exception, not the rule. All you need to do is look at the list of NCAA champions to know that.

jayhawkarmy 3 years, 5 months ago

Help me out here? I want to know if I read this right? We still have 3 scholarships remaining after we sign Deandre (if he chooses KU)? If so what will happen to those scholarships that are left?

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 5 months ago

It just means we will have those extra scholarships next year. Next year's class is supposed to be a big one so we would do well to have them then. We will have a class of 5 to 6 guys next year because that has been the plan.

This year is the nice class of solid players, but next year we will have a big class of superstars. Hope this helps. You don't lose scholarships that you don't use, it just means they are extra ones the following year.

jayhawkarmy 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you! So you say solid players? Do you think that this years team will do anything in defending the big12 or making a run the the tournament?

Eric Dawson 3 years, 5 months ago

baldjedi is on target. FTR, though, KU has 4 scholarships left.

Total Available from 2010-11: 8 Morningstar Reed Little Morris x 2 Selby Woolridge (transferring) Teahan (Connor's a walk-on who got to use an available scholly in '10-11)

Commitments: 4 Tharpe McLemore Anderson Traylor

Available Scholarships: 8-4 = 4

If Daniels says KU today, it will be 3.

FWIW, SG Kristin Reinhardt (ESPN #58 player overall, #12 SG) decommitted from USC on Tuesday, so perhaps Self & Co will go after him with one of the available schollys.

If they do and they get him, that leaves 2, which will almost assuredly go to Teahan for his senior campaign and one other walk-on as well for next year only.

Self will have at least 4 scholarships open (those last two plus Taylor's and Robinson's, who will probably leave after his junior campaign) to recruit with for 2011-12.

dylans 3 years, 5 months ago

-1 scholarship in 2011-12 for Zack Peters =3

shoedee 3 years, 5 months ago

Agreeing with Jaybate's insights, I think it is helpful to remember that the signing class before Rush, Chalmers, Wright (and Downers) was solid but not spectacular (Kaun, DJack, RussRobb, Galindo and Giles). It then was a huge boost to get Arthur and Collins in the 3rd year. Aren't the Harrison twins 2013? 2012 should be a spectacular class for us and complement nicely a solid (but not spectacular) 2011 class. We've grown accustomed to winning every year, but it's fair to expect in an age of OADs that it takes time to build around the 3-4 year guys with the occasional addition of a OAD, in order to make a deep run. I think this is Self's style- I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone gets as much mileage out of OADers than Calipari. As a loyal KU fan for nearly all of my 40-year-old life, ... who remembers our program was solid, but not spectacular under Owens, who reached the heights under Brown and then was solid and occasionally spectacular under Williams, ... once again reaching the heights under Self (just think of "how" we won in 1988 and 2008- amazing, huh?) ... we just need to embrace who we are as a program and enjoy the journey each year as much as anything else. The Daniels saga drags on into the morning, but I'm having fun. It's great to be a Jayhawk fan (all the time)!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

You're WWWAAAYYY to logical to be allowed to post on this site!! :}

Nice post, shoedee. Don't hesitate to post more.

shoedee 3 years, 5 months ago

I have more fun reading what the rest of you guys have to say. It's been killing me waiting on Lacey, Traylor and Daniels to decide- one more guy's decision and regardless I'll be able to get on with life as usual and once again be happy being bored until Midnight Madness comes around.

shoedee 3 years, 5 months ago

Scholarships- I think we would do well to "save" the two extras, assuming Daniels signs. Next year we gain 2 with graduating seniors (Teehan and TT). Maybe TRobb goes pro? This would give us 5 if my math is correct and we would then be positioned to sign a monster 2012 class.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 5 months ago

As I noted in reply to Jayhawk Army (above), KU currently has four (4) scholarships remaining (Teahan is a walk-on who got a one year scholarship as it was available), not 3 as the article reports. With Daniels it's 3, assumming Self lands no one else for next year.

With that last assumption, your 5 for next year is right: 3 open scholarships to fill (used by Teahan and other walk-ons for 2011-12) Taylor Robinson (leaving after his monster junior campaign :-)

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing the LJW is counting the Teahan scholly because there is zero chance we land enough talent to take it away from him. Clearly he will be awarded it again this year. So, I think they say we have 3 left to show that, if we sign DD, 2 people who didn't have scholarships set aside already will be getting one (Jueneman and Garrett?).

But thanks for making the numbers clear for all.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

I just worry about PT, I feel like last year we had guys really battling for the 1,2, and 3 spots and guys were not getting enough court time as it was. Next year it looks like the 3/4 spots are going to be loaded....TRel, BMac, DD?, JTaylor, Teahan (if hes not a 2)

eway12 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's what happened yesterday. Daniels was ready to choose UT. Then Jamari calls him up excited, telling him he's going to be a Jayhawk. Daniels thinks about how his buddy is going to whip his arse twice next year and begins to reconsider. I still think Daniels will end up choosing Texas, but I'm happy with Traylor, and honestly I'm happy with our recruiting class. Well done, HCBS.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

You may well have described what has been apparently one of four to five hundred reasons for DD to change his mind. Now the kid has all summer to truly make up his mind. Am I really supposed to believe that what he says or doesn't say today is final? This kid is really taking his time...

Chris Bruning 3 years, 5 months ago

I am hoping Trevor Lacey was just crowd pleasing yesterday, but i doubt it.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

I remember the line from the Clint Eastwood movie, Heartbreak Ridge .. something like, "Well, we're 1-1-1 now", after beating back a few Cubans on Grenada. Analogy fits.

Traylor = Grenada (an inconsequential conflict) Lacey = Vietnam (not good result, but a big deal) Daniels = Korea (unsure of outcome, but a big deal)

shoedee above references that Self's 2004 class (Robinson, Jackson, etc.), the one ahead of the Rush, Chalmers, etc., was just solid, basically comparing that to this season and our prospects for our 2012 class. However, on paper, there is no comparison:

2004 Class: Robinson - 5 stars #27 Jackson - 4 stars #54 Kaun - 4 stars #34 Giles - 4 stars #62 Galindo - 4 stars #65

Compare to 2011 McLemore - 4 stars #34 rivals/#54 scout Tharpe - 3 stars #92 rivals/#88 scout Anderson - 3 stars Not Ranked in either Traylor - 3 stars #141 rivals/NR in scout

We're not even in the same ballpark if we fail to get Daniels.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

You seriously are going to suggest Traylor is in the same league with Lacey? Try catching some of Lacey's AAU highlights for the Memphis Roar .. top tournaments, top players. You are speaking without thinking there. Traylor is an after-thought that is most likely a bench player at best his entire career. Sure, we could get lucky .. I'm not discounting that .. I'm talking about being rational in your ecstacy here .. both about Traylor and Anderson.

You seem to forget that the only reason Self even pursued Anderson or Traylor was because we didn't get the top guys. Self admitted it. Here's his quote: "Braeden is a guy we identified late,” Self said. “When we felt like the (Morris) twins would probably be leaving, we looked for the best available big guy there was in the country."

Emphasis on "best available." It is amazing that you, and others, would fawn over guys we didn't even have conversations with before we were forced to scramble to get bodies.

Note that my reference to rankings was "on paper." "On paper" ends up being valid 9 times out of 10. And you pointing out Galindo and Giles not working out .. absolutely. That stuff happens. So use that logic. Use that rationale. And apply it to lower ranked players. Can't either Traylor or Anderson amount to squat? Wouldn't the odds go higher for the less talented player? Remember Quintrell Thomas. Are these guys better than him, or the same? Where will they be if we get a couple five star guys for 2012 to go with Peters in the post? I'll tell you where .. tranferring to LaSalle.

If we get top rated guys, everyone is giddy because of their ranking. If we don't get top rated guys, all of a sudden, rankings don't matter. And logic is ignored.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Ok, well here's quote on Anderson:

Self said on Traylor "could be a sleeper", not "is" a sleeper. What is he going to say? That he was a result of a last minute scramble. And he said "contribution and depth" See that word .. "depth." So you hang your hat on a guy Self says is "depth" that "could" be a sleeper. Lovely.

Reminder, the twins were top 50 guys, Marcus in the top 35. Different than #141.

You are delusional on Traylor. And it is comical to see this response to a guy that only got real attention from us when we were deperate for a body .. but believe, or dream, as you see fit.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Robinson, Kuan and Jackson..basically the backbone for the '08 championship. It will be a tough but not impossible goal for this years class to match.

orbiter 3 years, 5 months ago

That's your post? What, are you a rankings sniffer? You just proved the point that these rankings are not very accurate.

But, if you wanna sulk in the sad, sad sadness of poor me pessimism have fun listening to Cure as you cut yourself looking into the mirror, watching those crystal tears of pain slide sensually down your poor cheeks. Woe is you!!!!

I know, I know, it's just so sad to be a fan of one of the most dominant programs in recent history, and all time. Poor you. Nothing ever works out for poor you!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Your last two paragraphs are a waste of space, so I'll disregard.

On your first paragraph, it is pretty funny when folks like you comment without having really even looked into the accuracy of rankings. The fact is, as I've said many times, rankings matter. Not perfect, some surprises, some disappointments. But a great indicator. Did you look at the last decade of champions .. NCAA champs, not league champs .. here's our 2008 team (which I've posted before).

KU starting lineup in 2008: Robinson - 5 stars #27 Chalmers - 5 stars #12 Rush - 5 stars #13 Jackson - 4 stars #54 Arthur - 5 stars #16 Subs Kaun - 4 stars #34 Collins - 5 stars #21 Aldrich - 4 stars #30

Another point I have posted that you may not have seen .. name me one major contributor to the KU program outside the top 100, in the last 5 years ... ok, one, Brady Morningstar. Tell me another.

dylans 3 years, 5 months ago

uhh.... this walk-on started for KU. What was his name? He started you think I'd remember it. Oh yeah Christian Moody. You jack wagon.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

There is too much worship at the Church of Rivals going on here.

The top 25 guys are usually fairly accurate, which I chalk up to the fact that the more high-profile a prospect, the more scouts are going to take a look and the better chance of coming to an accurate consensus on their ability.

However, once you get out of that top-25 range, you have recruits who can vary by as many as 70 slots from one service to the next. And while that kind of variance is not the norm, I did compare the ESPN100 to Rivals for this year's class, and almost half of the ranked recruits varied by 20 slots between the two services.

So right off the bat, there is an obvious flaw with making such matter-of-fact declarations based on the "on-paper" information. Two services who provide a professional service dedicated to ranking high-school players can't come to agreement on the majority of the top players, but let's not allow that to stop us from pre-determining what we have in this 2011 class, right?

Furthermore, you cite two players from the class that we aren't even "in the same ballpark" with that did nothing to make good on their 4-star ratings. But we're already prepared to declare a 2011 class sans Daniels as "not even close". I understand that you aren't comparing projected production, but it still illustrates that these rankings are largely guesswork. And in spite of your declaration to phog1004 below that "on-paper" rankings are correct 9 times out of 10, they aren't correct that often (again, unless you are only looking at the top 20-25 guys)

But what really gets me is this seeming need for you to cut other KU fans down for expressing optimism about this class--aka, your comment:

"eway12 says he "happy with Traylor." I guess you can be "happy" if you go to the prom, with the 8th or 9th girl you asked."

Not only is he just a fellow KU fan expressing excitement, but your justification is a wildly inconsistent ratings system that may or may not be accurate in hindsight once these kids actually arrive on campus to play. I'm as big a fan as anyone of being a "realistic" fan and not setting crazy expectations, but part of said "realism", imho, involves actually waiting to evaluate a class until they have ACTUALLY PLAYED A MINUTE OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

I, for one, don't get giddy about top-rated guys. I also don't get too down about "low" rated guys. You may think that the ratings are pretty accurate, and when viewed in the aggregate, averaged over all players who've ever been ranked, then yes, they are fairly correct. But part of that is the nature of averages. Any given INDIVIDUAL player can surpass or fail to realize his individual ranking

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Kinda weird how much bragging goes on when we land a top recruit to the 'rankings don't matter' when we don't.

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Any remaining scholarships this year will be given to our walk-ons, on a one-year basis. Perhaps even split up and shared. I like what Gary has just written about Traylor. And, again, Jaybate drives home some strong nails regarding the underlying health of the Jayhawk roster. With our 3 remaining scholarships, I look to see Bill Self unearth another key recruit before fall. Of the 4 recruits who have now committed, only BenMac appears to be a possible early departure. If that should transpire, then we can expect to see some really exciting ballplaying from him this season. What I would say to all of our recruits: Arrive for summer classes thinking defense. Try to spend time studying tapes of Kansas games, listen very carefully to our seasoned veterans, acquaint yourselves daily with Andrea Hudy and her training regimen, and have fun mingling and playing with Jayhawk players who have pulled down consistent league titles. All of you are in for a stupendous ride, beginning with Midnight Madness. Strive to be an essential piece of the winning puzzle. You have chosen the best site and program in America to play winning basketball and to improve your talents. O, one more thing: Practice freethrows, twice daily!

kerbyd 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope they do give the remaining scholies to the walk-ons because they deserve to be compensated for all they do. I know in NCAA baseball they allow colleges to split up the scholarships, but I seem to recall hearing that they don't allow splitting them in basketball. Anybody know for sure?

omng392 3 years, 5 months ago

Keep in mind two things, first I don't remember there ever being this much hype on any of Roy's recruits, its awesome to be in the conversation year in and year out with the top recruits. Second, what really is the difference between number #25 and #200? Ok, I'll admit that the top 20 players are probably head and shoulders above everyone else, but you have to admit, even the best analyst are going to have a hard time determining 26 through 200... Point being, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough, and Self does a very good job of finding them...

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

One thing regarding Deandre that we all have forgotten......what was the reason he decommitted from Texas in the first place:

1] Looking at the roster last year prior to the exits of three starters, was it playing time? If so, then that hurdle has been eliminated. 2] Was it looking at Coach Barnes as a coach versus a recruiter? If so, that hurdle is still there. 3] Was it "Duke-like" admissions issues? Hey, this is Texas....no hurdle at all.

If anyone has seen or heard of why, what and when, I would appreciate it if you enlighten all of us.

Despite all the rumors, I still think there is hope. If he was going to Texas, he could have committed yesterday and not worried about upstaging his teammate, Jamari. You better believe he had a long conversation with Jamari and Christian last night. Dad still loves Kansas. I hope Darrel Arthur was channeling into Deandre's dreams last night...better yet, called him up.

We'll know soon ....or not!!

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 5 months ago

I like his dad! He seems like a smart guy!!

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 5 months ago

Yep, you're right.

KU = good; MU = bad.

All in good (competitive) fun.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you, turdferguson, and had the same thought. One thing to keep in mind, though, was that BMac's mom (and his whole family) is an MU fan. Her push for MU was out of the emotion of being a fan. I don't know what Daniels' father's motivation is, but I don't believe it's based on fanhood. My guess is that he thinks KU is a better fit for DeAnrde. Although, that is pure speculation.

John Boyle 3 years, 5 months ago

Let go of his foot. The rabbit needs to eat and get a drink! Are you trying to kill him?

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 5 months ago

DeAndre, we encouraged Ben McLemore to follow his heart, over his parent's advice. Must must do the same today. Choose Texas.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 5 months ago

DeAndre, Jayhawk John would have you give up your dreams for the sake his entertainment. I think you know what you must do.

Sally Presson 3 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to KU Jamari!!! We're all so glad you chose KU and I know you'll be glad you did. there's no place like Allen Field House and we have the best coaches ever!!! KU fans are counting the days until you come and the season starts!!!

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

If he were going to Texas because he thought Lacey was going to KU, and that there may not be enough shot ops on the perimeter playing alongside Lacey, Lacey's decision could have caused a moment of introspection and need to reevaluate the opportunity at KU now that they still need perimeter firepower. I've been waiting to see this mentioned by someone else as a possibility, but since I haven't seen it, yet (did I overlook it?), thought I would throw it out there.

drwho127 3 years, 5 months ago

Could be a possibility! Hopefully, we hear good news two days in a row!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 5 months ago

No, you didn't overlook it. Your analysis is unique. And your optimism is refreshing. Thank you.

Nick Cole 3 years, 5 months ago

It's a little too early to tell, but Traylor compares very well to a college player by the name of Derrick Williams from UofA. You may have heard of him. All-American his sophomore year. 6'7" 210+ Lbs. Freak athlete. Not ranked high at all coming out of high school. Wants to get down there and bang his body around for loose balls. Has the "I'll show you, I want to dominate you this entire game" mentality.

Like I said, too early to tell, but he has the right body and attitude to make this happen.

Welcome aboard Traylor. You are going to look sharp in that crimson and blue next year.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

You have taken a guy that we weren't even considering, that is being used to ensure we are not dangerously thin in the post, a body, the #141 ranked player, and transforming him into a top 5 NBA pick after his sophomore season. Unsure as to how he "compares very well" to dude that schooled Marcus. Do you have crimson and blue flood lights adorning your home, is your dog named Phog?, does your license plate say "hwkmble"... get a grip, my friend.

God bless you, though .. a true fan.

milehighhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

HEM - there's a reason you are on here instead of the KU sidelines. Any moron can look at a ranking and form an immediate opinion. Your singular focus on that as opposed to any specific complaints about the kid's game destroys your credibility. I think most of us are more interested in him when he's referred to as the "best athlete" in the class of 2011. Self & Manning will take care of the rest.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

"hwkmble"... Note to self, check to see if that is already taken...

Williams is a pretty enthusiastic comparison, but no harm in being optimistic. I will say, without stretching to compare to Williams, Richard Scott, TRob, etc., someone having only really played the last 3 yrs or so will show leaps and bounds improvement, likely even through this summer, and even if a tad shorter than our traditional bigs, the athleticism seems to be there.

If he's an unpolished guy and we get to watch him develop, he has a fighting chance at being one of my favorite 'Hawks over time. I prefer to have talented multi-yr players that grow up while wearing crimson and blue. To me, it's what makes the college game special.

Sam Constance 3 years, 5 months ago

Side by side comparison of Jamari Traylor and Derrick Williams, out of high school:

Stars: Traylor - 3 Williams - 3

National Rivals Ranking: Traylor - #141 Williams - NR

Sounds like Williams is about as perfect an example of the fallibility of ranking recruits out of high school as you can get. But I would love to hear your reasons as to WHY Williams and Traylor don't compare favorably, though obviously using Williams sophomore year of college as your reasoning is flawed, given that Traylor hasn't had the opportunity to have a freshman year, let alone a sophomore year.

boomrsoonr26 3 years, 5 months ago

The part that excites me most about the Traylor video above, lots of DUNKS. Nothing irks me more than going up weak to the rim like Markieff would do in previous seasons before learning to flush everything this year. I agree with KEITHMILES05 in that Traylor's commit had Daniels backpeddling. Different games all together, but same positions 3-4.

drwho127 3 years, 5 months ago

The thing that gets me is they see each other most likely on a daily basis..so one would think they talked about it, had an idea of where both were going, and would not let it affect their decisions yesterday. Last minute jitters?

boomrsoonr26 3 years, 5 months ago

Why did Daniels go to IMG for a year instead of going to college? One would assume his grades were an issue, so this prepatory academy is an alternative to JUCO?

drwho127 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah..I think they go to prep school mainly to get their grades up to the NCAA standards. I was on the IMG website and they get some NBA players working out during the offseason as well which is pretty cool if you are fresh out of high school. You get to train and play with some of the pros.

Tony Bushard 3 years, 5 months ago

Pardon my ignorance, but where he is making this announcement at? And, what exactly is "morning"? Morning ends in 38 minutes on the east coast unless it was your 21st birthday yesterday.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

The morning is almost over. Any word on Daniels yet?

AZHawk72 3 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of rankings and all those other by-the-numbers games...

..."Here comes the judge"--there goes the Judge. The once McDonald's All-American left the land of large animals and even larger girls for the unspoiled garden spot of the Garden State, Rutgers--or, as most of us remember--that familiar bar trivia question, "What is the name of the state university of New Jersey?"

We've had so many guys ranked in the 30s, 40s, and 50s who were better that it makes one wonder if these estimates of a player's relative strengths and abilities are far more "guesstimates"--if you're there to observe Daniels, do you even pay much attention to Traylor? There is way too much hype chasing and not enough evaluating going on.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

While I still believe the 5-stars are an important piece, there are just so many quality players that are "discovered" while a coach is actually scouting a different player altogether. I can't for the life of me remember which player on our roster was discovered that way, but I remember reading about it with one of our recruits.

kuis1 3 years, 5 months ago

Look at the date. Everyone keeps saying this but it is from 2009 when he originally committed....

apeoples410 3 years, 5 months ago

dude...that post is from 2009 when he originally committed

AZJaHwk 3 years, 5 months ago

Sorry...Totally missed the date. Im an idiot!

apeoples410 3 years, 5 months ago

I'd love Daniels to choose KU, but the kid should go to the school that he thinks is the best place and the right fit for him. Of course, I think that place is KU, but we don't want a kid who is only going along with what his parents want. That shows a lack of character to me. Let him be his own man and make the decision that's best for his future. Hopefullly he sees the light and realizes that KU is that place! Rock Chalk!

100 3 years, 5 months ago

Good point.

However a great character trait is also the ability to sit down with your father & discuss two sides of a coin. As hard as this was for most of us to admit when we were eighteen... "Thoughtful parents know best."

I don't get the idea Deandre's dad is a big "fan" of KU. I get the feeling he loves the program & knows what's best for his son. Whereas McLemore's mom (who I now declare as the only Missouri fan that I love), was, by definition, a fan, who hoped to help her favorite mascot. Luckily Ben knew what was best for his future (Danning Manning & Bill Self on the same coaching staff, are you kidding me!!?!?!??)

Due to the NBA draft, UT is way down next year. Deandre would have little help in an offense that already is out of sinc by the sheer fact that Rick Barnes is.... coaching the offense.

On the other hand you have Kansas, a team that lost three NBA first rounders, but also kept two NBA 2nd rounders (at worst, both could have been late 1st rounders). And Kansas suddenly, as of yesterday, has a solid inside presence again (Robinson, Anderson, Withey, Trayler, perhaps even Wesley?) something that is fantastic for shooting guards who need just a sliver of room to get off a shot. Any parent who loves college basketball can see the logic here. Kansas runs a system that wins. And is at times (& often) extremely beautiful (think of the last couple minutes against Texas in the big 12 championship). And prepares guys for the NBA. Including players who don't appear to have a clue of how to play basketball their first year (Morris twins).

Larry Brown said it best.... "I've been a lot of places.... But there's no place like Kansas."

Come play amongst the inventor's spirit, Deandre.... The man who created the game. The man who allowed Jordan to become a billionaire by crafting a game on a piece of paper. And Wilt a one hundred point NBA Legend unlike no other.

Come play amongst the rules, Deandre...

Come play in Wilt Chamberlain palace, Deandre....

Come help us take down the Dark Side of the force, John Calipari, this November, in Madison Square Garden......

If you come.... You will be part of a legacy greater than any tradition, any place, anytime.... This includes the Collesium in Italy (that's a whole lot of Tigers eating a whole lot of humans!!!), the fallen dynasty of the NY Yankees, Ditka's Bears, the Boston Celtics (who do have an impressive 18 World championships but don't have Wilt Chamberlain or Doc Naismith on their resume).... And don't forget Bugs Bunny's Space Jammers...

Looking forward to seeing you come out of the Wilt Chamberlain winners tunnel onto James Naismith court, in just a few months....

Or....

You could play for Rick Barnes.

Whose on his roster again?

TXBBall 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree with HighMajorElite. Considering what KU lost, the PT available and the number of kids KU recruited, this is a largely disappointing recruiting class. There is no denying that Self is a good regular season game coach, but the longer he is at KU, he is proving to be a very average recruiter. Consider who he lost recruits to this year: John Thompson III (Porter, Hopkins), Travis Ford (Nash), Sean Miller (Turner, Chol), Steve Lavin (Pelle), Anthony Grant (Lacey), Billy Donovan (Beal), Coach K (Rivers), and Cal (Wiltjer). And these are just the kids that seriously considered KU. And how can you call Self a great closer when Harrison Barnes, Brad Beal and Josiah Turner had all long been considered heavy KU leans when they were younger and none ended up in Lawrence? And if he was a great closer, wouldn't he have the local Perry Ellis aleady?

Let's face it, Self has brought in some great players, but the only outstanding class (Rush, Chalmers, Wright, Downs) he has gotten at KU came on the Heels of two Roy Williams' Final Fours. And seriously, Rush fell in his lap late and Xavier Henry tried about everything he could to get out of going to KU. And you can't say Self outrecruited Calipari for Selby. Calipari already had Knight and then later grabbed Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones away from Self.

I know this is negative, and I'm not bashing Self, but there are so many posters on here that think Self can do no wrong. Well, after saying he needed a "Home run" of a class, if he doesn't land Daniels, I'd say this is more like a double of a class. And if McLemore doesn't qualify, it would be a single. Good role players, but no potential NBA players. And then to have only a 3-star commitment for 2012, he needs a huge 2012, and he needs it very soon, to keep up with great recruiters like Williams, K, Calipari and Matta..

hawksfan08 3 years, 5 months ago

Rush Wright Chalmers Arthur Collins Aldrich Henry Johnson Selby

Those are the only 5 star players Self has ever landed. it's not like he has a history of signing 3 5 stars every year. You need a mix of both. I am disappointed in this class though.

hawksince51 3 years, 5 months ago

I do not agree that Roy's two final 4's had anything to do with Self's great recruiting classes that ended up winning us the 2008 NC. Roy was not nearly as successful as Self in recruiting on a national basis. Roy owned Iowa and had a few successes in CA but he never tapped Chicago or the Northeast the way Self has.
I do agree that Self's recruiting seems to have fallen off of late but IMHO that has more to do with not meeting expectations in the post-season so many times, and his team's style of play. I can see why an OAD would have two problems with coming to KU:
1. Hates the prospect of losing in the first week-end of the NCAA tourney when he only plans to play in one; 2. Self's system does not provide the opportunity for an OAD to showcase his talent the way Calipari's does.
But, I for one do not care if we miss out on most OAD's after our experience with them the last 2 years. I'd rather see us have players who will stay long enough to learn the system and develop into a real team contributor like the guys who played in 2008 did, as well as the Twins.

Krohnutz 3 years, 5 months ago

To further your argument; Roy would not recruit East of the Mississippi. His excuse was that we could not compete against all those schools. The reality was that Roy would not tread on North Carolina waters.

It took Bill Self all of about five minutes to bring in recruits from the East Coast.

The kid in me will always have a special place for Roy, but the adult in me knows that he wouldn't compete against Tar Heel Blue.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 5 months ago

Roy's last 2 recruiting classes: 2011 PF James McAdoo (8) SF P.J. Hairston (13) PF Desmond Hubert (140) PG Stilman White

2010 SF Harrison Barnes (2) SG Reggie Bullock (10) PG Kendall Marshall (32) PF Justin Knox (eligible transfer)

Seems pretty successful on any basis.

COJHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

saw this on ESPN insider...know nothing about the kid, but something to watch...

Now that we know definitely that Kansas has missed on Trevor Lacey (Huntsville, Ala./S. R. Butler), the Jayhawks could look to a transfer from the Pac-12 for help at the shooting guard position.

The Las Vegas Sun reported last week that former USC guard Bryce Jones has KU on his list of possibilities. Jones was the Trojans top recruit in 2010 -- rated by ESPNU as the No. 69 recruit in the nation -- but ran into trouble on coach Kevin O'Neill's team and elected to transfer midway through his freshman season.

Jones has already taken recruiting trips to UNLV, San Diego State and Gonzaga, and the Jayhawks are probably a long-shot at this point, but he remains one possibility that would make up for losing the Lacey sweepstakes.

With Jones being a native of Woodland Hills, Calif. and Gonzaga adding JuCo swingman Guy Landry to its class, UNLV and San Diego State could be the two teams to beat at this point.

Adam Bengtson 3 years, 5 months ago

Txbball You are out of line bout recruiting. You have no idea what goes through the mind of 17 year old kids. Self is hesitant to offer the Barnes and top recruits because of 2 guys. Henry and Selby. Self is trying to build a team not a D league like over at Kentucky. I'm guessing Kentucky loves getting those guys but at some point one- and-dones get old. Self wants guys who will be here 3+ years. As fr As far as Ellis, he cannot doing anything else to convince the kid. Perry is in Lawrence seems like every weekend. The kid really likes Lawrece ad grew up a KU fan. He is enjoying the recruiting process so he doesn't regret anything. As I have stated before it is between Memphis and Kansas and Perry will eventually commit to Kansas. It probably will not be until October or November of 2011.

selfishhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I am all for bashing other teams and love KU and Self like the next guy. But Self recruits the EXACT same kids as Calipari. It is pure pollyanna to believe that Self is (a) somehow above one and done kids, or (b) wouldn't recruit the "type of players" Cal recruits. It seems some on here have tried to extend or borrow Roy's choir boy mentality to recruiting for far too long.

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 5 months ago

Why would a 5-star basketball recruit want to play at a football school?

• he wants to be the MAN and not a team player?

• wants to easily establish a basketball legacy where none exists?

• a 20-win season is preferable to a 30+ win season?

• post season and championships don't matter?

• he prefers the beefy Longhorn mascot to the Jayhawk?

• he likes their TV deal?

With no insight on his decision-making process, IF DD chooses Texas, is there any other plausible rationale?

hawksince51 3 years, 5 months ago

I have wondered how the Texas/ESPN TV network will benefit basketball. Obviously, there is the added money that will always help, but virtually all their games are already available on ESPN 360.
After seeing CU's big TV windfall for going with the Pac10 I also wonder how long the football powers in the Big 12/10 will remain satisfied with their improved deal.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

This just in, "After careful consideration, Deandre Daniels decides to end on a high note. Announces he is retiring from basketball. Those close to him say they knew this day was coming, but are surprised by the timing. Most believed that, while the announcement was inevitable, he would not retire for at least 10 - 15 yrs. Daniels could not be reached for comment. There has been some speculation he is vacationing in Bermuda, entertaining himself reading numerous college basketball forums from a sunny spot on the beach."

Kevin Heath 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess I feel as though any announcement from Daniels is rather worthless at this point. He is obviously having some trouble deciding for one reason or another. Now that the signing period is over it really matters not what he says as it is not binding. He will not be signing a letter of intent (as the last day of the signing period was yesterday), he will just be making a verbal commitment. If he says he is going to Kansas today he may decide to go to Texas in 2 weeks.

In my humblest of opinions he delayed the decision not because he needed one more day to choose, he delayed the decision because by doing so he doesn't have to choose/commit. At this point he can theoretically wait right up until the enrollment deadline for the fall semester if he wants.

I guess my thought is that no matter what he says at this point, until he is on campus and taking classes at a school things can change.

For Jamari, you made a wise decision. If Deandre follows you, that is great, but you, alone, are a fantastic addition to the team. You have chosen to come to a place which does for basketball players what Harvard does for those seeking an MBA...it opens doors and will show you a direct path to success. Will you have to work hard to get there? Absolutely. Your choice of schools has unlocked the door, now you will be guided down that path by the best in the business. Your job is to show up and work as hard as you can every day. You do that and the team will be a success, and your dreams will be realized. This is a place where good basketball players become great, and great basketball players become legends of the college game and franchise greats in the NBA.

KUFan90 3 years, 5 months ago

Deandre - "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"...

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

I have never, not even once, heard Callipari overrated or a post-season bust. Last time I checked, he had ZERO national championships, and two of his three Final 4 teams were found to have committed major recruiting violations. Is he a great recruiter, sure, but two of his Final 4 appearances came with the prime suspect in an NCAA investigation as his major player. And who wouldn't be a great recruiter if you can send an imposter to take your biggest recruit's SAT test? There's been some Self bashing on this site, and much of it likes to compare his recruiting to Cal's. HCBS may not be perfect, but I'll take him 365 days a year!!!

Sam Brockert 3 years, 5 months ago

you mean his one FF appearance the other two have asterisks attached to them cause they got taken away.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 5 months ago

that's true, I was giving him too much credit

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 5 months ago

I have officially lost interest in the Double D announcement.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

Maybe DD gets $ for every hit on kusports this week, id say the hundred times i have checked it for an update the last 2 days should be helping his cause.

ccarp 3 years, 5 months ago

If anything, he's got to now understand that we are serious about our bball.

Sandeep Kalburgie 3 years, 5 months ago

DD believes the world is going to end on May 21st as proclaimed by many :D

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I would rather have gotten Trevor Lacey then Traylor. I realise we need a big guy for the bench(which will now be Anderson or Traylor). But this hurts our chances of getting Deandre Daniels.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Dale Kroening 3 years, 5 months ago

I disagree. Traylor and Anderson are post players, while DD is a wing. He's 6'8" and only 180 pounds, not a banger at all. We have guards that weigh more than Daniels. Thats not to say HCBS wont play him at the 4 or in the post, but Traylor's decision in no way hurt our chances with DD. He's a 5 star top 10 recruit for one, while Traylor is 3 stars and ranked 141st, and Anderson also 3 stars but isnt ranked at all. Daniels is a possible starter while Traylor and Anderson will be backups imo.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

True, but its hard to say it won't hurt our chances at all.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I think we should try to Get Trevor Releford to transfer to Kansas. We could use the draw that he could play with his brother.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Krohnutz 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm stoked about getting this kid. I have a good feeling about him. Darnell was another kid that did not pick up basketball until later in his academic career. It turned out pretty well. Tim Duncan was a swimmer. Derrick Williams was a three star recruit for Arizona that turned into one of the best players in the country by year two.

I'm just glad to hear a kid happy to get on campus and start a collegiate career. I don't want to talk about one-and-dones, I don't want to talk about high school academic performance; I want to talk about this class of incoming freshman because they look solid to me.

As far as Daniels, doesn't this mean he cannot sign a letter of intent and has to go off financial aid for the first semester? Can somebody help me out there?

Yeah baby.

David Hodges 3 years, 5 months ago

Players that don't sign a LOI by the deadline or that have backed out of one (can only sign one once) can then sign a Sign-In Financial Aid Agreement. Unlike a LOI, Sign-Ins have no back-out clause so ultimately one could change their mind again up until they attend their first actual class (at that point they are officially a student of that school). Xavier went this route as he had previously signed an LOI that Memphis chose to let him out of. Hope that clears it up for you.

Krohnutz 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for the information, I knew they gave up something but wasn't sure how it worked.

I thought Xavier was just a verbal, did he actually sign the official LOI?

Wait, why am I talking about Xavier when I'm done talking about the one-and-done crowd?

rockchalkinit 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow we stil haven't reached a decision? Lololol

haydenhawkco 3 years, 5 months ago

ESPN reports that Cam Newton's father has been conferring with Daniels on his decision.

Krohnutz 3 years, 5 months ago

I smiled at this.

As long as Daniels is "unaware" like Cam was, the NCAA will wash their hands of it. Nothing to see here...