Originally published May 18, 2011 at 02:42p.m., updated May 18, 2011 at 05:19p.m.

Recruit Jamari Traylor picks Kansas

Traylor on KU campus: 'I fell in love with it on the day I came on my visit'

Jamari Traylor, the No. 141-ranked player in the class of 2011, according to Rivals.com.

YouTube

Jamari Traylor highlights

Jamari Traylor, a 6-foot-7 power forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., announced plans to play basketball at Kansas University on Wednesday on the IMG Academies website.

The No. 141 player in the nation according to Rivals.com, chose KU over Indiana, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

"I really chose Kansas because on my visit, I sat down with (Kansas) coach (Bill) Self and coach (Kurtis) Townsend and the rest of the coaches ... I like the way they plan on using me," Traylor said. "I like them as coaches. I like the team. They're a good group of guys as well. As far as the campus, I fell in love with it on the day I came on my visit."

Last year as a senior at IMG, Traylor averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.

"I’m really proud of Jamari,” Self said. “We have gotten to know him this spring and he’s worked very hard in the classroom. He’s a young guy that really wants to be good. He’s got a motor very similar to Thomas (Robinson) and he’s an athlete that at 6-7 can basically guard all five positions. We think we will be an immediate and major contributor for us.”

Traylor said he would probably play power forward, but also will play some at the three position as his career progresses.

"I am really a physical guy," Traylor said. "I know how to finish at the rim. I really take pride in defense."

Traylor attended Chicago’s Julian High until his senior year.

“We are so excited to sign Jamari,” Self said. “He is a Chicago kid that spent the last year at IMG Academy and was coached by Loren Jackson, who is a coach that I have known since my days at Illinois and certainly have great respect for as he has coached several good Div. I players.”

The 230-pounder visited KU from April 22-24, a week after visiting OSU.

“He is the type of player that plays bigger than his 6-7 frame because he gets off the ground so quickly and plays at the top of the block,” Director of the IMG Basketball Academy Andy Borman said. “Jamari’s a great kid with great character and will give a tremendous boost to any program.”

Traylor joins Naadir Tharpe, Braeden Anderson and Ben McLemore in this year's KU recruiting class.

“We were very fortunate in the spring period to get Braeden Anderson and sign Jamari inside because they both give us immediate contribution and depth,” Self said. “I really feel Jamari could be a sleeper that everybody will say ‘Where did you get him?’ a couple of years from now; in a similar way they did the Morris twins. He’s very young basketball-wise. He’s a sponge and wants to learn. I really think he’s going to get good, fast.”

Comments

Sam Brockert 3 years, 7 months ago

Come on Traylor Convince your teammate to come here too!!! You know that you BOTH will get LOTS of playing time!!

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 7 months ago

What I like about Traylor is he will definetly stay around for awhile! The longer he stays the more he develops in a great big!!!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

WOW!!! I didn't see that coming.

OK, here we go IMG Academies West. Come on down Deandre and join Jabari and Christian!!!

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 7 months ago

Come on Garret get on the horn and get your buddy down here!!!!

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly. I thought that was the only reason we offered Garret a roster spot, to get Traylor and Daniels!!!

Scott Bonnet 3 years, 7 months ago

Garret is a decent major college recruit in his own right. Not a high major, but would have been a very good signee for the majority of programs.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh thank God. That at least gives us an extra body down low. And a pretty impressive body at that. 6'7" and 230. Sounds like a bruiser and very athletic. I love it. This kid sounds like he has a high ceiling. Perfect 4 year guy for Self, Manning, and the crew to turn into an excellent player.

Welcome Jamari! Can't wait to see you play!

Bob Forer 3 years, 7 months ago

Good point. Although he's not even in the top 100 recruits, Bill Self has a knack of picking guys who are not near the top but nonetheless have a high ceiling. This young man sounds like one of those types. Given our elite coaching staff, I prefer the 4 year recruits to the superstars who abandon ship early for the NBA.

David Atchley 3 years, 7 months ago

The paradigm shift in recruiting is with the "one and done" approach to the elite players contemplating college. In order to get any cohesiveness of a team, coaches are having to look at the "second 50" or "second 100" of Rivals players. Kids that may have the physicality and just need 3 years of coaching in order to have any bench and "program" remain intact. You don't have to look much farther than Rick Barnes at Texas and how his program has suffered by being dazzled by the "one and doners," like Ford, Aldridge, Durant....great for 1 year, but they leave a gaping hole in your program and on your bench as a result.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the fold young man! You won't regret coaching from Danny Manning!

gcjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I like this kid he plays hard, shouldn't we put this up as the headline story instead of Lacey picking Alabama since he is a Jayhawk.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the family.

Hudy and Danny, get to work!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I like him already - he has a little bit of that Darnell Jackson look about him!

aviebs51 3 years, 7 months ago

This kid reminds me of a Thomas Robinson.....hopefully he has a motor. Could you imagine having two Thomas Robinson's on the floor. Wouldn't exactly fill up the shooting stats....but could be an impact hustler.....

woodscolt 3 years, 7 months ago

His rap sheet includes a motor like T-rob

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Too late....DD's Karmic Circle is closed and he returns to where he started. Oh well, we'll get to see him at least twice.

mae 3 years, 7 months ago

230lbs??? Hudy and Manning are going to create a monster!

woodscolt 3 years, 7 months ago

I see the same sorta scenerio for this young man as the Morris's went through here at Kansas. When he leaves KU he will be drafted. In the mean time from what I hear he will be a great KU team player.

Best of Luck Mr Traylor, in your KU career.

KUcrazyinCT 3 years, 7 months ago

Great kid with great character? That's the kind of kid KU needs. Please, no more thugs. Welcome Jamari!

Brett Forreal 3 years, 7 months ago

What the heck Daniels? Finished where he started... shades of X's drama all over again.

Joe Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I need to see a link of Daniels to Texas....

I saw one person post it with nothing to back it up....proof please...

I have been looking and I see nothing...

areyouserious 3 years, 7 months ago

Daniels to decide tomorrow.....pushed it back

Kevin Heath 3 years, 7 months ago

Hear Daniels decision has been pushed to tomorrow. No solid confirmation but twitter is ablaze with this statement

Brett Forreal 3 years, 7 months ago

Can he decide tomorrow??? Today is the deadline, but I guess he can do a grant in aid deal....

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I believe today is the deadline for LOIs.

perryellisfuturehawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Daniels decision is coming tomorrow morning. Sounds like he can't make up his mind. I know Ellis AAU coach and I feel good about him staying in state.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 7 months ago

Jamari Traylor, Wear'n Chuck Taylor's, Beat'n down the Jayhawk haters.

I like the sound of that!

hoobler2 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the family brother! We all look forward to the energy and talent you bring to KU! I personally don't care if DD sign's with us now that you are here, just show us you have heart (floor burns) and you will life-long connections/family. JUST WIN!!!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Baseball analogy continues: Infield single.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Better than a bases loaded, two out pop-up by Selby, as he trips and falls on his face on the way to first base.

lee3022 3 years, 7 months ago

Well is Thomas Robinson a single? Were the Morris twins singles?

Those comparisons come from HCBS

Since he has four players now he has recruited well this spring. DD will be the one that really sets the roof afire.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Not even comparisons .. really .. a guy who we go to as a last resort, who we get because we missed on top guys, and you're going to compare him to top 50 players? Be realistic here. Just because Self may say some nice things? Yes, Jimmy, there is a Santa Claus.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 7 months ago

Yea, time to give up , its over go home. No really HEM , Go Home.

Steve Yeakel 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome Jamari, so glad you are coming to KU!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Assuming DD is a Longhorn [and I can find no proof, yet] next season will look like this:

PG - Taylor, Nadiir, Christian SG - Elijah, Conner Swing - Travis, BenMac, PF - TRob, Jabari, C - Jeff SF - Braeden, Justin

Success will start with the "T's"

KGphoto 3 years, 7 months ago

That's so cool. I wish I would have thought of it.

Six men on the floor! We can't lose with that lineup! ;-)

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 7 months ago

Jabari? Seriously, can't you spell correctly? Nothing like insulting a new signee immediately!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Not even a little :) after your comment? You must be pissed!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

My apologies....Jamari...I am the world's worst typist.

Sorry about that, the six men on the floor for Kansas only was on page three of Dr. Naismith's rules but Quantrill burned it!!

Let's try Tyshawn, Elijah, Travis, TRob and Jeff and go from there!! :)

KGphoto 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope Jamari can do some hard sellin' tonight, because it sounds like DD wants to be the next Kevin Durant. It's gonna be tough to pull him away from that.

But DeAndre, you won't win anything at Texas if you go. History will show you that.

Come to Kansas and work with the best big-man coach in the country, and have fun winning on national TV every week. Danny will make you as good as you can be. He'll hone your skills, show you a few new tricks and have you ready for the NBA in a couple of years..

rob4lb 3 years, 7 months ago

It is amazing how many people are on top of the recruiting. I think most schools are better off picking a player like Jamari who can be developed instead of the one and done types. When was the last time a freshman made a big impact for KU. I think you have to go back to the Chalmer-Rush-Wright season where the team came together late to win the conference championship. Since then, no one. Henry was starter but never a difference maker. We all know about Selby. The Morris twins and Taylor were at time lost as a freshman. Bill Self has a track record of taking 3 and 4 star talent and getting them NBA draftable after 2-4 years. There is usually a step change in improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. KU needs to go after players who will stick around at least 2-3 years.

KGphoto 3 years, 7 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Jamari will play great within the system.

aviebs51 3 years, 7 months ago

Taylor was at times lost as a Junior.....lol.

smcpmarine 3 years, 7 months ago

This guy remind anybody else of Richard Scott?

John Gill 3 years, 7 months ago

same KU team, different player... Alonzo Jamison

perryellisfuturehawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Well said rob4lb! The one and dones feel too much pressure to come in and be the man right away.

TXChalker 3 years, 7 months ago

Just found this
May 17

2:43p by Matt Conner

For any Kansas Jayhawks fan randomly searching or refreshing web sites hoping to find news on the highest ranked recruit, DeAndre Daniels, you’re going to have to wait one more day. That’s because the talented forward has decided to declare his intentions tomorrow at a press conference to sign with either Kansas or Texas. The Big 12 should get ready either way.

Kansas in particular is in a state of limbo, more so than any other top program in the country. The roster has suffered several losses to both graduation and NBA early entrants, including Josh Selby, Mario Little, Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and Marcus and Markieff Morris. The opportunity for instant success will fall heavily on any incoming recruit’s shoulders, but that also means instant playing time for each of these guys.

Head coach Bill Self also knows just how tenuous the next 24 hours will be for his team and fans alike. He recently told the Kansas City Star, "How we do in the next 10 days could very well determine whether or not we have a chance to win the league next year or have a chance just to keep our head above water. I think we’ll be good no matter what. I like the guys. If we’re able to finish strong (in recruiting), we’ll be good.

Sam Brockert 3 years, 7 months ago

Yesterday was the 17th, so this story was from yesterday about today?

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 7 months ago

It's nice to pick up another big guy. However, if we lose out on D. Daniels this will be a MAJOR disappointment coupling with losing Lacey.

Self said a few days ago if we didn't hit a grand slam we would have problems competing for the Big 12 title next year and even to stay even to keep head above water. Those are very, very strong words and as of now things look bleak.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Hard to argue against your point......maybe DD will have a Darrell Arthur-like dream!!!

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 7 months ago

Nice call, Oakville.

Or KU could hire his dad. :-)

El Jay 3 years, 7 months ago

im excited about this guy. Bill Self does his best work with players like Traylor - guys who have the potential to be great players but arent their yet. This guy should be a 3-4 year player and thats exactly what we need. Stoked to have you on board Jamari. Now if you could convince DD to come with you, that would be awesome!

Machawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Now that you mention it, he is built similarly to Richard Scott. If he has half the heart of Richard, we will be in for a treat.

Why is it so hard for recruits to understand that Texas schools are not basketball schools? If they would do a little homework, it would be blatantly apparent.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

I liken the over-hyped response to the #141 player in the country to being in the desert for a day, no water, getting excited over the mirage (Lacey) .. a cool, streaming fountain with unlimited refreshment .. then upon realizing the unlimited fountain is a mirage, getting even more excited over a simple glass of water because you were so ramped up for the mirage.

Deep breath here.

The most likely reality is that Traylor is a body. Depth. Needed depth. But nothing to get excited about. A Quintrell Thomas type. A guy that could, in end, develop into a solid player but who will likely not be ready for prime-time next season.

And for those who don't know this, I understand that low or unranked players can be diamonds in the rough. But those are absolute lightning strikes. Some hate to admit this, but rankings mean something a vast, vast majority of the time.

Again, deep breath here.

If Daniels signs ... different story.

milehighhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

OK - I'll bite.

Obviously DD would be a tremendous addition, but you are WAY too caught up in rankings when it comes to Traylor.

His coach said he is a freak athlete with an incredibly high ceiling. To say it's "not something to get excited about" is a very pessimistic outlook that discounts what the kid will bring 2-3 years from now.

And as far as rankings go, it's either ESPN or Rivals that everyone trusts, right?

Well the TWO BEST CLASSES this year according to Rivals are Indiana and Villanova. ESPN does not have either of those schools in its Top 25.

It's easy to get worked up in the off-season given there's nothing else to do, but give the kid a chance before rendering judgment on him and our staff.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Go back and look at the rankings. They are an amazing predictor. Of course, not perfect. There are exceptions. My view is not pessimistic. Just not eternally optimistic. I just don't expect much this season from him. May be more of a guy that needs time to develop.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure Jamari's experience here will be a great one if he keeps feeling the love from fans like you. Truth be told, you have no idea what kind of player he will be at Kansas. How many "elite" recruits have you seen fizzle, transfer or just flat out not play well - here and at every other school in the nation? And there have been MANY athletes that have gone from relative obscurity to stardom, I'm not sure I would classify them as lightning strikes. I don't know the answer to this, I really don't want to take the time to look it up, but how highly ranked were Tyrel or Brady? Yeah, I'll be embarrassed if they were top 10 recruits, but I'd also be very, very surprised - they turned out to be OK players.

ku1otaku 3 years, 7 months ago

Xaiver Henry had a great freshmen year. I wish people would stop bagging on the guy just because he left after one year.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmmmmmm - he had a GOOD freshman year. Michael Beasley had a great freshman year. I think people were just disappointed because he was ranked the overall #1 prospect (according to some) out of High School that year and we probably all got too caught up in that.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

How's this .. there has never been in the last 5 seasons a KU player that has provided any real contribution outside of the top 100 rankings other than Brady Morningstar (and you have seen his stellar NCAA tourney performances). That's it. Try our championship team ---

KU starting lineup in 2008: Robinson - 5 stars #27 Chalmers - 5 stars #12 Rush - 5 stars #13 Jackson - 4 stars #54 Arthur - 5 stars #16 Subs Kaun - 4 stars #34 Collins - 5 stars #21 Aldrich - 4 stars #30

You all can get excited about Jamari Traylor. I won't. The reality is, stars matter. There is a way to win a title. Over the last decade, look at the title teams. The Traylor's of the world aren't it. Sorry. However, could he develop and be a contributor down the road .. sure. But don't bet on him being a main guy. What happens to Traylor when we bring in 3 top big guys in 2012?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

HEM - Don't get me wrong, I'd like for us to get ALL of the top ranked players, though that in itself sometimes causes internal problems, but the point some of us are getting at is that you can put together some pretty darn good teams without top - whatever (pick a number - how's 100?) players. And what good is it if you've got highly ranked players flaming out early in the tournament? I know we've got a thousand Big 12 Championships in a row, but so what? That's just NICE, it doesn't really mean anything. It's like the banner that hangs in Bramlage - " Remember that time we beat KU?"

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

And I agree with you there . National Titles, Final Fours .. those are the goals. And should be how we strategize, plan, and approach the season.

Personal opinion here .. I believe that if we play Releford over Morningstar the last month and through the tourney, we would have won the national title. And we would have won the VCU game. Pure opinion. We left Releford and EJ on the bench while Reed and Morningstar did zippo vs. VCU, and while they were more athletic. Sad ending.

ku1otaku 3 years, 7 months ago

You might be right in the last 5 years regarding a KU player...but what about all the other National Championship teams? Didn't the Flordia Gators have some guys outside of the Top 100? I could be wrong on that and I am WAY too lazy to look it up. :)

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

You nailed it .. at this late stage, we needed a body. And Self got the best available. That should not be our game.

Hoping the best, but a distinct possibility is that this guy plays out of necessity this season, and then transfers when the "need" is gone.

Dan Harris 3 years, 7 months ago

How many diamonds in the rough did VCU,Butler, N Iowa,etc... have? I would rather take a chance on developing and keeping a player around 4 years then a OAD any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

El Jay 3 years, 7 months ago

just curious, does anyone have any information regarding Kevin Ware? I havent heard too much since he decommitted from UCF and i didnt even realize he was considering KU. does anyone know what our chances are of landing this guy or what his timetable is for a decision? He could be a good replacement for Lacey in our recruiting

siukufan1 3 years, 7 months ago

Who cares if we don't get Daniels I will take an off year next year and would rather recruit a player who wants to be at KU! If Robinson goes after next year and DD goes to Texas that would give us 5 scholarships for next season.

Take my word for it I have done a lot of research and next years class would probably look like this:

PF: Zach Peters (committed) PF: Perry Ellis (UK lean but Wayne Simien and his spirituality brings him home) C: Kaleb Tarczewski (Heavy KU lean...likes the idea of learning from D. Manning) PG: Nino Jackson (likes the recruiting attention or would have committed already) PG: J'Mychal Reese (Heavy KU lean that would fit in great with EJ, McLemore, Jackson....most explosive backcourt in the country)

Wildcards: SF: Marcus Smart (Ku in top 5....think he signs with the horns) C: Robert Upshaw (KU top 3...signs with KU if Ellis goes to UK) C: Mitch McGary (Think he is UA bound if he can avoid in-state IU pressure.) SG: Gabe York (Heavy Pac-10 lean, but could be one of my Favorites in the class...kid can shoot lights out.)

For those of you wondering.....Shabazz (UK lean..UNC #2), Shepard (UT or UNC) Goodwin will stay home for Arkansas, Brandon Ashley joins his friends at UA.

Your 2013 Starting 5: PG: Elijah Johnson SG: Ben McLemore SF: Travis Releford PF: Perry Ellis C: Kaleb Tarczewski

You heard it here first.....this is based on months of research!!

P.s I knew Lacey and DD weren't coming to KU

Sam Brockert 3 years, 7 months ago

"P.s I knew Lacey and DD weren't coming to KU"

What is this? Is it suppose to "convince" us you are a god of recruiting or something?

siukufan1 3 years, 7 months ago

No, I am just trying to give people something to look forward to for next year....but since you want to be a ****, I have a Ph.D in hHuman Behavior and I have researched how cognitive thinking affects the decision making ability of recruits.

JayDocMD 3 years, 7 months ago

I have a Ph.D. in Bovine Scatology Identification and you, sir, fit the bill.

Hank Cross 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you. Let's let the guys we have now have some room to grow next year and start working on the '12 class. Even w/o DD, this team will be able to compete for the B12 regular season and tourney crowns and probably get a 4-5 seed in the tourney.

MrWalleye2U 3 years, 7 months ago

Can you tell me the numbers so i can win the lottery? I will give you all the credit and the money to pay the taxes.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

I am curious on how much P.T. Traylor will see if we get Tarczewski, Ellis, along with Peters?

Nice rundown on the recruits.

milehighhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

FROM ESPN:

KU's answer to missing on Lacey 3:40PM ET Kansas Jayhawks

* Comments

Now that we know definitely that Kansas has missed on Trevor Lacey (Huntsville, Ala./S. R. Butler), the Jayhawks could look to a transfer from the Pac-12 for help at the shooting guard position.

The Las Vegas Sun reported last week that former USC guard Bryce Jones has KU on his list of possibilities. Jones was the Trojans top recruit in 2010 -- rated by ESPNU as the No. 69 recruit in the nation -- but ran into trouble on coach Kevin O'Neill's team and elected to transfer midway through his freshman season.

Jones has already taken recruiting trips to UNLV, San Diego State and Gonzaga, and the Jayhawks are probably a long-shot at this point, but he remains one possibility that would make up for losing the Lacey sweepstakes.

With Jones being a native of Woodland Hills, Calif. and Gonzaga adding JuCo swingman Guy Landry to its class, UNLV and San Diego State could be the two teams to beat at this point.

Tony Bushard 3 years, 7 months ago

What's the over/under on Bobby Knight and Brent Musberger saying "Taylor" next season when they mean "Traylor" and vice versa. "Tyshawn Traylor with the steal, I mean Jamari Taylor, I mean ... Boom!" (heads explode)

milehighhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Dave Armstrong is already rehearsing puns.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

WOW...you're like the Mel Kiper of college basketball recruiting!!!

"Months of research"......you are kidding, of course, aren't you? Not that I'm knocking your list..it appears to be quite rational, but anybody can spend a weekend on-line and come pretty close.

Did you talk to any of these players? Did you talk to any of their high school coaches? Did you talk to their AAU coaches? Are you sure DD isn't coming to Kansas? Perry Ellis is a UK lean?

My friend, you're just throwing darts at the wall like the rest of us, so just chill.

siukufan1 3 years, 7 months ago

I am sorry that you took my post the wrong way. I have never stated that I was this basketball recruiting expert, I simply was trying shine a light of excitement for what I feel could be a top 5 class next year. By sharing research that I have done for a Post-doctorate that I have been working on. So no, things could be completely different then I suggested, I was just sharing some of my research and opinions! Thank you to those who didn't read into my post and for those of you who did: well you guys should all make a group to assist one another in pulling the sticks out of your ***.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

BTW, I have a PHD from NYU. I'm going to drive my BMW to CVS and pick you up a bottle of Chill Pills. (terminalogical inexactitude)

basty 3 years, 7 months ago

I mean, you have to be at least a little embarrassed that you have announced multiple times that you are well educated, but, nevertheless, have made glaring grammatical errors, right? 2nd sentence is a run-on sentence. 3rd sentence isn't even a sentence. 4th sentence is another run-on sentence. 4th sentence you also use then instead of than.

Why tout your education if in the same text you're going to make yourself look foolish? Also, that PS statement above would have perhaps been something to gloat about if you'd made it before Lacey picked bama.

Nothing personal, just a pet peeve of mine.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Fair "nough!! I stand corrected and welcome to kusports.com.

By your postname, would you happen to be a Saluki? If so, that's great...my brother is one and it is a very good school!! They need to get their basketball mojo back, however.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

I think Illinois will give Bruce Weber back to them if they want.

Sam Brockert 3 years, 7 months ago

But you forget this

"P.s I knew Lacey and DD weren't coming to KU"

That means he is good...right?

HawkBBall 3 years, 7 months ago

"Tractor" Traylor and T-Rob! Bring it on!

BLITZED 3 years, 7 months ago

May be a little soon since Robert "tractor" Traylor just died last week.

squawkhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Meh! Barely a top 150 kid. Is this what its come too?

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Lacey has a dream tonight.

Fade in to Lacey scoring 40 ppg next season but not making the Madness...

Jump cut to Lacey in Kansas whites...

Lacey wins two rings in two season at KU...

Lacey decommits tomorrow.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Deandre has a dream tonight...

Fade in wearing UK uniform...

Loses the ring playing for Cal who has never won a ring...

Jump cut to DD in KU whites winning a ring with Coach Self who won a ring in '08...

Deandre awakes and chooses KU!

rob4lb 3 years, 7 months ago

I believe the Big 12 will be relatively weak next year, so despite what happens, KU should be in the hunt for another conference championship. UT lost a lot of players. Baylor looks strong on paper, but not dominant. MU and A&M have a strong returning casts, but both have new head coaches who did not recruit the players. KSU will be down; ISU will be much improved and the Oklahoma schools are not expected to contend.

LaJHawk666 3 years, 7 months ago

I was glad to see he can play the 3 spot. If we don't get DD then that could be helpful.

I agree that we shouldn't expect much from freshman, based on history. However, we usually don't need to expect much from freshman because of our usual deep depth, so maybe if there is a need....Traylor and/or Anderson could put in some valuable minutes. If Withey is on the bench there will probably be a second big man on the floor with T-Rob, so...

Question: Who do you think will be more valuable in the short term? Traylor or Anderson? Long term I think it's too early to tell, but thoughts?

Also, anyone got a clue as to what the new Big 12 will be called?

dynamitehawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Double-wide Traylor. Cleaning up the trash, easy boards and buckets.

jayhawker_97 3 years, 7 months ago

welcome to KU, Traylor! you'll become the next Howard or Stoudamaire in NBA!! i'm thrilled with this addition to KU team!

rock chalk!

I41R4KU 3 years, 7 months ago

Listen, Jay-Tray is not going to be the next Howard or Amar'e. But, I really do think he has the chance to be the next Richard Scott. I think that's a great comparison and if that's the case, that would be HUGE! Many of the younger posters here prolly don't remember Scott...trust me, if Traylor is anything like him then this guy will quickly become a fan favorite.

One of my friends called him the next Mario Little (minus the range). We could do worse...but I like the Scott analogy better.

The dude's 6-6...maybe 6-7. So, he's not exactly the big post player we "need" but he's going to help us a LOT.

Those that are all caught-up in rankings...get over it! We've all seen highly ranked recruits to nothing significant and we've all seen low-ranked players turn into studs. I trust HCBS completely.

As for DD...I think moving the decision back isn't all bad. If he was "set" on UT like some posters have suggested, why would he wait another day? My GUESS (which is what all these predictions are) is that his heart says UT but his head says KU and it's killing the kid. In the end, the heart likely wins-out but I think the more his head has to think about it, the better it is for us!

ROCK CHALK!

jayhawker97 3 years, 7 months ago

Scott? are you kidding me? Traylor is waaaaaay better. he'll be Jamari "Mean" Traylor on the court. can't wait to see him play.

rock chalk!!

hailtoku 3 years, 7 months ago

I love these kinds of players. Guys like Xavier and Selby always acted like they were doing US a favor by being there. I think this guy is going to come in with a willingness to learn and be a good player long term down e road.

Welcome aboard young man.

Rock Damn Chalk

hailtoku 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome aboard young man.

Rock Damn Chalk

cali_jhwk 3 years, 7 months ago

No reason to believe that the sky is falling. Daniels would be nice to get but there won't be a down season if he doesn't come.

KU will still be in the running for the league title. Who else is going to compete? Texas-what does history show there? Baylor-remember who is coaching there. All that talent and haven't had a sniff of a title. Who else? ksu, a&m, tt, isu, mizzery, ou? Does anybody forsee anybody in this group-the answer is no. How about osu? Some talent there but still a recent history with no success. KU has coaching, returning talent and good incoming talent. Unless you are named Dickie V, you can't help but think that KU has a good of chance as any at taking the title. Nobody thought last year that the Hawks would make it 7 in a row. We had lost too much talent and had unproven talent. How did that work for us? 14-2 and 7 in a row.

We are KU-the cream of the basketball crop in the Big 12. And we will continue to be until somebody decides they can step up and knock us off. Hasn't happened yet and I don't see a team out there next year that can.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Traylor is an important get.

We need him as a 10-15 mpg back-up for XTReme Conditioning basketball.

If he can do this, he is gold in Russian vaults of the kind that sends shivers down Fed chairmen's spines.

If he can do this, he is silver like the Hunt brothers once tried to corner and the Fed owners subsequently regulated for a rainy day (when gold gets too high and has to be crashed, i.e., gold can be crashed even more easily and surgically than real estate).

If Traylor can do 15 mpg back-up in XTReme Conditioning Ball, he is platinum that every gold and silver hoarder needs some of in case gold and then silver are crashed in sequence by the owners of the Fed.

Remember: Bill Self looked at Shaka Smart's players after the VCU loss and said, there's not that much difference between their guys and ours...and then left unsaid but implied...except XTReme Conditioning.

XTReme Conditioning + XTReme Hudying = XTReme Match Up Advantage.

All that matters about Traylor right now is: can he gain 10 pounds and attain XTReme Conditioning by the start of conference season and protect the ball.

The enduring lesson of last season is: XTReme Conditioning lets good athletes play even up with great athletes that are not in XTReme Condition.

Withey and Jordan are going to Europe with AIA this summer to get them both in the best condition possible, before XTReme Conditioning starts next school year. Withey is going to be a running big man. Jordan is going to get his endurance up so Self can use his super trey gun on the run in back-up spurts.

Tyshawn, Elijah, Nadiir and BenMac are going to be conditioned like never before and they are going to run the floor like, well, like the Tulsa Hurricanes did once upon a time.

Withey, TRob, Traylor, Braedon and Justin are going to be running big men and they are all likely to play.

The running team everyone expected to see last season, but didn't because we played through the Twins so much, is going to be on display this season.

People at last are going to see what Okie Ball on a Bullet Train looks like.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

ralster,

Good to be back in the USA and good to hear from you.

Conner is a tough call for me. I have always thought that he could eventually be a big time trifectate and credible glue 3 by late in his career, if he could ever get past the footwork. He is big and strong now. But I haven't seen any sign that the feet have improved.

The other big doubt with Conner has to be his history of not being able to capitalize on the many opps Self has given him.

With Brady and Reed and RR, despite all their early bench time, whenever one was given a chance to perform a role, each one had the athleticism and character and ability to perform when opportunity knocked.

With Conner, he has blown a lot of opportunities and it is not clear that he has the kind of "at your best when you need your best" required for D1 success.

Your comparison of Conner with Reed is useful, because it highlights why Reed played so much and beat out so many guys, when people (including me early on) thought he couldn't.

Reed was a great athlete in the most basic ways from the beginning. He was the fastest guy on the team straight line in sprints from the beginning. He had a 40 inch vertical from the beginning. He was always one of the best natural jump shooters on the team from the beginning. But all of this was not reported to us until later in his career.

What we saw early with Reed were sharp deficits in lateral quickness (sliding) and upper body strength, and a temperment to do only what the coach asked, and to reveal none of the other arrows in his quiver. As a result, many of us wrongly inferred that he must not have been much of an athlete, just a small town guy with a good touch, who couldn't get his shot off very often (when in fact Self was early on just telling him to glue and only take shots when wide open).

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

But over time, Reed muscled up on top, and developed his sliding to the point he was often asked to chase an opponent's best perimeter player, when either TT, or Brady, could not get the job done.

And just as important, as with all exceptional natural athletes, Reed rose to almost every challenge Self set before him with in a very few given opportunities. When opportunity knocked, Reed answered. All good and great athletes share this quality.

Conner right now seems a different kettle of fish than Reed.

What they share in common is a great natural touch from outside.

But Conner has not capitalized on the manny opportunities given him so far.

And Conner has not proven to be able to shoot nearly as well in games as he reputedly does in practices. This is a psychological difference between good and great athletes and guys who merely have talent. Reed finally was able to shoot well and make big shots at money time. Reed was the guy you wanted bringing the ball up the floor at the end, because he could protect it and make the FTs. Reed was such a stud, he could shoot 46% from trey when healthy his junior season, and something like 36-38% his senior year when competing on a foot that required surgery. Reed's shooting performance this season, his entire level of play this past season, given his injury, is frankly, one for the record books. I mean think about the way Selby's game collapsed with a stress reaction that basically nearly healed, while Reed managed to play at a level that still made him one of our most effective players, despite him shooting treys and defending no where near as well as he was capable of doing.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Conner would have to develop an incredible amount to be able to come close to giving what Reed gave the last two seasons. I doubt that is feasible.

So what can he give?

If he gets his broad and narrow focus right, he certainly could be a 45-50% trey shooter on spot ups, but will he?

He does not seem to have the kind of savant like floor game that Brady and RR showed in their careers.

There is zero chance he can give what Selby gave when Selby was healthy.

But strange as this may seem, it does seem feasible that he could bring what Selby brought when Selby was playing 15 mpg down the stretch, both during and post injury.

So: my best guess is that Conner has a 15 mpg back-up role something like what Selby had down the stretch, but without the failed attempts at getting to the rim that Selby was asked to do on his bum wheel. This means Conner on entering will be asked to pop the trey to give some spark, not just take the open one. It means he will be asked to come in an get physical with the other team's three, burn up some fouls, etc., as Josh was asked to do.

Self obviously believes there is a chance Conner can break out as a glue three and spot-up trey shooter, or he would not have red shirted him and given him a ride.

But if Conner hasn't improved his sliding, and he can't can the trey opps he is given, i.e., if he can't seize the moment, he will soon return full time to the bench as in previous years.

And even if he has improved, his prospects will depend on how fast Self decides to play. When Self plays through TRob and Withey, I could see a lot of Conner (and Jordan). But when things go transition, I just haven't seen any sign that he can keep up yet.

Further, as we've learned with gifted glue men like RR, Tyrel and Brady, the older they get, the more efficient they get and the harder they are for the OADs and Two Year Superstars to keep off the floor. Anything, even starting, is possible for Conner. Three point shooting (like money) doesn't just talk, it swears, as Dylan sang.

But bottom line, Conner has a lot to prove even to get to be a 15 mpg back-up, even on this rebuilding team.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

After being Shaka'd last season, everything has changed about Okie Ball, but the way we think...

Or as Bob Dylan sang so long ago...

"Come writers and critics Who prophesize with your pen And keep your eyes wide The chance won't come again And don't speak too soon For the wheel's still in spin And there's no tellin' who That it's namin'. FOR THE LOSER NOW WILL BE LATER TO WIN For the times they are a-changin'.

Come senators, congressmen Please heed the call Don't stand in the doorway Don't block up the hall For he that gets hurt Will be he who has stalled, The battle outside ragin' WILL SOON SHAKE YOUR WINDOWS AND RATTLE YOUR WALLS For the times they are a-changin'.

Come mothers and fathers Throughout the land And don't criticize What you can't understand YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE BEYOND YOUR COMMAND YOUR OLD ROAD IS RAPIDLY AGING Please get out of the new one If you can't lend your hand For the times they are a-changin'.

The line it is drawn The curse it is cast THE SLOW ONE NOW WILL LATER BE FAST AS THE PRESENT NOW WILL LATER BE PAST The order is Rapidly fadin'. And the first one now Will later be last For the times they are a-changin'."

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate, unrelated to this, but I used "coach consonants" without your permission on a yahoo sports story yesterday. You may bill me for trademark infringement if you'd like. It got a very favorable comment from a Carolina fan.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Great, glad to hear you picked up on it. You probably used it more effectively than I do.

Think of "Coach Consonants" as my contribution to the public domain of college basketball discourse. :-)

I41R4KU 3 years, 7 months ago

OK, while we're all focused on DD (and rightfully so), I'm guessing we bring in someone that nobody is talking about too. Anyone hear any rumblings beyond the "big 3" that we've been waiting on? Is there maybe an "under-the-radar" shooter out there somewhere?!

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 7 months ago

No we know everything don't be ridiculous. If there was someone else we'd be talking about him just as much as Daniels. ;)

matlockhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

GO JAMARI!!! Are you paying attention, Daniels? Big recruits at Texas...championships at Kansas.

lee3022 3 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate - I was thinking the same thing about Shady changing his mind in a dream the night before he revealed his choice. He certainly made the right choice.

DeAndre Daniels is a natural one and done (our only one) so he will play immediately here as well as Texas. However here we have a strong complement around him which can take him into the national spotlight. Now if he does not play well he will be exposed as well so it depends on his confidence in his talent and work ethic.

I'm betting right here that the decision tomorrow will be KU.

And welcome aboard Mr Traylor. Your choice will be validated every single day you walk the hill and for the rest of your career and life. This is a very special place and it sounds like you fit right in.

Jason Roberts 3 years, 7 months ago

Another thing to consider: perhaps Deandre Daniels put off his decision until tomorrow so that he could allow Jamari Traylor to have his day in the spotlight, which is good, but also might be bad because he could have easily said, "I'm also going to KU".

As long as there are no hats on the table it's a good sign.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome Jamari!!! Proud to have you on board!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 7 months ago

In the few pictures I've seen, he appears to be built like a brick house!!! I want to see him next to an 18-year-old TRob, they seem to be built similarly.

AZHawk72 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome, Mr. Traylor...

...and I applaud your choice of tradition, excellence, and immediate playing time. Having a Taylor already should help us not screw-up your name nearly as much as people probably have throughout your life. Hey, we haven't called Thomas "RussRob" even once that I know of. Welcome, stud, and do a little running before the conditioning starts.

P.S. Do you have any luggage that D.D. could fit in? Don't forget an airhole, a little food, and a barf bag. I know it sounds a little extreme, but he'll thank you later.

theend 3 years, 7 months ago

And don't forget the tradition of choking in the NCAA tournament!!

AZHawk72 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome, Mr. Traylor...

JHAWK34TRUTH 3 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to Kansas! Have fun, work hard, and enjoy the ride! Glad to have you on the team!

KJD 3 years, 7 months ago

Julian Wright was the first KU player that came to my mind while watching the video. How's his high post passing skills? "Guard all five positions".

duanep5ku 3 years, 7 months ago

I for one am very happy to have Jamari joining the Kansas family believe me when I say that He's the one player that I wanted to come to Kansas. So welcome aboard Jamari. I never thought we had a chance with Trevor so I'm not surprised he did not choose Kansas. Trevor best of luck to you at Alabama.

I know that some of the fans on here will only judge the talent of the player by the rankings alone and not the players overall ability to contribute on the court. Those same fans are probably already on here judging you solely based on someone else's made up rankings.

Oh, FYI to all the pessimistic fans doing that on here.

I just want to add that's not always the best way to judge the value of an up and coming Players overall talent either because those so called experts can be wrong and they often are. A better example would be NBA first round bust every year. How many players are drafted in the NBA first round that never do anything in the NBA, why is that, well because they seem to judge the player on here say information and the College numbers alone.

I guess my point is this don't always believe in all the hype about rankings alone because the-human eye is and always will be the best jude of talent. I would like to remind them that in the long run it's still much better to have a player come to Kansas because he wants to play here and not just come here for the short term NBA stopover program. Yes, why the rankings may give you something to look at it's also not the only way to judge the person or his over all talent. A common argument I keep reading on here is that no player ranked outside of the top 100 has done much here recently, well OK I hear you on that too. but then again that could also be because they did not get minutes on the court because we had upperclassman as starters. I think the postive about Jamari coming to KU will be his size streangth and if he can play some Defense and get rebounds. What more could you want in a young player at Kansas. I mean c'mon lets not forget the MM twins in their first year would not even dunk the ball and the missed bunnies would drive us insane at times. I think were already getting a player ahead of the MM twins early days at Kansas.

So Kansas fans lets be patient and hope that a hungry 3 star with minutes available to them might show us more then some 5 star player who only wants to be here because they have to be. It might just turn out to be a good thing.

Nick Cole 3 years, 7 months ago

I said this in another article, so I'm gonna say it here too...

It's a little too early to tell, but Traylor compares very well to a college player by the name of Derrick Williams from UofA. You may have heard of him. All-American his sophomore year. 6'7" 210+ Lbs. Freak athlete. Not ranked high at all coming out of high school. Wants to get down there and bang his body around for loose balls. Has the "I'll show you, I want to dominate you this entire game" mentality.

Like I said, too early to tell, but he has the right body and attitude to make this happen.

Welcome aboard Traylor. You are going to look sharp in that crimson and blue next year.

Steve Kubler 3 years, 7 months ago

After watching some video I like what I see. Particularly Jamari's hands, he caught some tough passes, and snagged a few loose balls cleanly. You can teach post moves, you can improve conditioning, but improving someones hands seems to be tough.

Now if he can shoot free throws we might have stolen one here!

r1ck_jayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I can't wait to get a good picture of this guy. Maybe we should think about sending Nick Krug out to get stock photos for all of our recruits...

theend 3 years, 7 months ago

It makes me laugh.....how excited all of you get about recruits. Have you not learned anything over the past few years???? Recruits offer potential.....nothing more. Recruits mean nothing until we see what they can deliver. Until then.....spare me all the optimism.

And if you're also a Chiefs fan......you might have noticed all of the draft choices that have failed miserably. I'm sick of the "experts" telling me how good a player is.......until I see it.....I don't believe it.