Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bill Self not interested in coaching in NBA right now

Kansas head coach Bill Self, left, and Thomas Robinson (0) watch from the bench as the VCU Rams jump to an early lead on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

KU coach Bill Self was asked about possibly coaching in the NBA someday in an interview Tuesday with 610 sports radio.

“I think I’ve got a better job than two-thirds of the NBA jobs right where I’m at, at Kansas. I don’t see myself being a pro guy,” Self said. “I don’t want to say never, but right now, I feel I’m a college guy. I’ve got such a great gig. The last two years, we’ve been good. We’ve been real good, but we haven’t done it (won NCAA title). There’s something inside, ‘We’ve got to do it again.’ That’s my total motivation right now.”

Of college coaches moving to the NBA, Self said: “I think it’s a great game and I think fans miss it sometimes when they think there’s not as much strategy, because I think there’s probably more strategy in an NBA game than there ever would be in a college game because they have a short clock. You’ve got to get a shot every 24 instead of 35 seconds.

“It is intriguing for many, but, to me, I feel like there’s several good NBA jobs out there and there are many that aren’t great NBA jobs. You wonder why college coaches aren’t as successful when they go, well they take over bad jobs. If a college coach was to take over the (Miami) Heat right now, there is a chance he could win. Or if a college coach was to take over the (Chicago) Bulls right now, there’s a chance he could win, but college coaches don’t get that.”

Comments

khekhen 3 years, 3 months ago

i bet Self sings a different tune once Popovich retires and the Spurs gig is open...

Krohnutz 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, right in time for Tim Duncan to retire. An aged team with a star past his prime... Yep, that is the job he'll leave Kansas for...

Good troll though, good troll.

khekhen 3 years, 3 months ago

its called the draft(where NBA teams reload on talent, and recruiting is not much of an issue) and the GM(who makes trades and deals players according to needs and cost, who happens to be a LIFELONG friend of HCBS).

most importantly, the Spurs have a tremendous winning tradition and that's a quality Self cites as necessary when considering that decision. Not to mention how many times he's referred to San Antonio as a "special" city in his heart.

believe it or not, KU is not the end-all-be all, im sure the epitome of your success would be being buried behind Allen fieldhouse with a jayhawk on your tombstone but thats not the case for everyone.

Krohnutz 3 years, 3 months ago

I'll see your pessimism garbage and raise you one.

It should be no problem to replace Timmy D. through the draft. But if that doesn't work, there are always a ton of teams looking to give away one of the best big men to play the game. Oh wait... They're not... Oh...

And you are right, San Antonio is a "special" city, the guy won a title there, I'm sure he has fond memories. And that GM buddy of his looking to hire him away from KU? Not likely to initiate the phone call since he is one of KU's biggest supporters on the planet.

San Antonio is a nice town, one of only two cities in Texas I would live in, but if you think Self is chomping at the bit to leave KU for a rebuilding project when Pop decides to pack it in because Buford is his buddy or the city is "special" you are reaching as bad as that Mizzou idiot on the radio. The average NBA coach lasts just under two years, I'm sure Self is ready for some of that job security.

addlime 3 years, 3 months ago

I live in Minnesota. Timberwolves have top draft picks and "reload" on talent every year. Look where that's got them.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe there will be an opening in the small town of Los Angeles next year.

hawk316 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't count on Bill Self leaving KU anytime soon...if ever. He is absolutely correct when he says, "I've got such a great gig." Coach Self is astute enough to know what he has in Lawrence. Why throw it away for something far less attractive?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I did not count on nor mention Bill Self leaving the program. Simply mentioned a job opening in perhaps the biggest franchise in the league. There is a zero percent chance Bill goes to LA.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

No way would Kobe play for Bill.

He would have to play defense... like all the time. Not just during the playoffs.... Tsssssch !

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 3 months ago

At least Self gets it. Cal didnt, neither did Pitino. BTW, I wouldnt blame Self one bit if he jumped to the NBA. I just hope and pray that if this does happen, that we do NOT go after Turgeon. Blast me for saying this, but I would hate to see him fail here, which he probably would, and then be an outcast in Lawrence. IMO

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow! Way to display some optimism. If Self left, Manning and Turgeon would be my No.1 and 2 go to coaches. No questions asked. Turgeon is a great coach. He's established that coaching at Wichita State and Texas A&M. He understands Kansas and what it takes to recruit there. He certainly won't be afraid to go out and recruit areas that a previous coach was afraid to go (Williams). He's adding east coast experience to his past mid-west and southern coaching tree... making him a more diverse recruiter. Add Manning to the mix as an assistant and that would be sick. We know he's a good coach, good role model, and understands the game better than anyone on the current bench. If Manning and Turgeon united on the Kansas bench and brought in an extra set of hands with strong recruiting skills, it'd be a great team. That said, Manning would be my first choice to step in as Head Coach upon Bill's departure. Danny knows enough guys in the business that he could develop a hell of an assistant coaching staff and we know he's marketable... more so than almost any coach in college basketball today.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

You know he's gonna milk Butler for awhile then take over at Indiana whenever he's ready.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually this is a pretty Solid thought process. I think he is destined for a Blueblood.....

Duke - K's not getting any younger but they would probably hire from within.

North Carolina - Probably the most likely team in this mix, They need a transfusion of new Basketball genes, there old Kansas roots are starting to become too Inbred ( tough they have it going a little bit right now )

UCLA _ Howland's done if he cannot get a 25 win team this year. They like up tempo game in California, and Howland's the epitome of milk it. Dark horse Stevens job.

Kansas - Damn he would look good on our sidelines, but i think he's entrenched by the time we actually have an opening.

Kentucky- They will need someone wo can win and be squeaky clean at the same time once Calipari is given the Death Penalty at UK.

Indiana - I think they believe in Tom Crean, I can't argue with it, Crean's a pretty good coach.... but Will Crean leave to go to Michigan State when Izzo retires ? ( i know Indiana is a way removed from it's relevance status, but we would be remarkable dense to think they cannot become a national power again and re live that glory. )

I would say in order it would make sense.... North Carolina UCLA Indiana Duke Kansas Kentucky

Other interesting places he could end up... they have a thing for coaches with spectacles in Syracuse. Calhoun isn't getting any younger in Connecticut. Oklahoma State still draws kids in no matter who the coach is, and T Boone's Pockets can never be underestimated. Could you just see Stevens v. Self three times a year in conference.... talk about a Coaching Clinic. And last but not least. Butler. What he's done there is astounding, he took over for a good coach and made a good team great. It would be a great story to see him retire there, possibly with a ring or two. The Upper echelon is open to Mid-Major's too, especially a guy like Steven's who could become a small school legend if he manages a few rings.

angusmcpherr 3 years, 3 months ago

Plus west coast experience (Oregon).

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

The Delonte Hire was HUGE for him.

If there is a knock on Turge it's his Recruiting of big time talent,and Delonte is possibly the best Recruiting assistant in the nation Next to World Wide and Danny ( in no particular order ).

Delonte will bring in the big time kids, and Turge will give them discipline and strong fundamentals. I liked the Turgeon Hire for Maryland, he's enough of Williams type of Coach that the fans should embrace him, and yet he's got lineage beyond what Maryland has seen recently.

With the Top of the ACC getting older and more set in their ways, a Coach like turgeon could bring some real Moxie that has been missing in recent years.... THe coach most hurt by this hire is Seth Greenberg. Turgeon's teams have been borderline NCAA talent, or better in his history coaching, and Gary Williams sometimes under produced with Quality players.... You telling me Greivis Vasquez wasn't good enough to win a few more NCAA Tourney games ?

So Good hires for Maryland and Turge.

Worst week ever for Seth Greenberg with Gottfried's early success recruting at NC State, and Turge-Hill Combo going to Maryland.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 3 months ago

That's weird, I thought I just read an article about how coach Self didn't want to bolt for the NBA. I guess I better read it again because according to you guys, it's an entirely different article. I guess Self will bolt for the NBA, probably tomorrow. Also, we never landed on the moon, Bin Laden isn't dead, and I just saw Bigfoot.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 3 months ago

Re-read what was typed. What was said is that there IS one major vacancy open in the NBA right now, and there WILL be one soon. And, I said I wouldnt blame him. So, re-read our comments again, as well as the original article.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"Self's Compensation: Which'll It Be?"

Self's candor here is a wake-up call to management here.

But are CBernie and Shane listening?

Self has been busting his sitter here, grabbed two 30+ Ws two seasons in a row, gone to the Elite Eight and the Sweet 16, and his bosses have not said, "Here, Coach Self, we would like to show our gratitude for your three superb performances, since your last ring."

Three years without a raise, given Self's fabulous performances, is a very long time, especially when pro coaching salaries have spiked even faster than those of CEO of moribund corporations living on Fed bailouts.

And it is rising pro coaching salaries that ultimately drive college coaching salaries, whenever the colleges can afford more than they are paying, after signing a new TV contract.

CBernie and Shane are making one of the classic mistakes of managers managing an employee of great talent: they are waiting to bump his salary until they have to, because of a competitive offer.

Why is this a mistake?

Because they are not building any emotional capital with Self now, when doing so would be less expensive, than it will be later.

CBernie's and Shane's lack of monetary praise now incentivizes Self to be ruthlessly competitive in bargaining the next time he wins a ring, or simply has another great season, and the pro offers roll in yet again.

Self has waited for them to show him some rational, managerial respect for a job well-done.

Nothing but words of praise have apparently surfaced.

Words of praise, without bones of raise, do not build emotional capital with a man who knows the high firing risk of his profession.

Giving him a raise now, maybe even a big one, would convince Self that CBernie and Shane are something more than typical, disloyal, short-sighted university bureaucrats that would fire him in a second, if his W&L statement were to falter.

Not giving him a raise now is basically saying, "Yeah, Bill, we're just like all the other pencil necks that have fired your friends and mentors through out your life. We're just skimming the gravy of the great run you have been having and we'll do what we have to do, if you win another ring, but not before."

This course of action by CBernie and Shane ensures Self will mercilessly stick it to them, which means to KU, when the next round of bargaining arises.

Like most great and savvy talents in any field, Self's fierce competitiveness can only be bridled by staying engaged with his honor and loyalty.

Self talks endlessly about team and subordination to team and sacrifice to team and loyalty to his coaching staff and players. And when players, coaches, and others show him loyalty, he consistently shows that he is a "stand-up guy."

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

You are right about rewarding a coach incrementally for good work rather than wait until they have all the leverage b/c he has competing offers.

However, I haven't heard about any offers from the NBA to Self, nor would I expect that he would receive serious offer. He's known as a recruiter and a defensive strategist. The former category is irrelevant in the NBA. Although the defense in the NBA is under-appreciated by many, the focus is still on offense. And NBA fans aren't going to be standing in line to watch NBA thoroughbreds play Okie Ball.

Finally, I don't know if Self is capable of living outside the Central Time Zone, so that also narrows any prospects.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't miss Roy. He repeatedly refused to make defensive adjustments in the tourney and repeatedly paid the price for over-playing quicker guards. The Stankums Monkey was so big on his back, both parties had to move on.

I agree that the 08 team played more of a pro-style offense relying more on plays above the rim and in transition. But, subsequent teams have not played in a similar fashion.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

If you prove yourself a team guy, when you play better, you get incrementally more minutes, not the whole 40 minutes.

Self does not believe in overturning the team just because a superstar wants big minutes and can perhaps even deliver. Everyone has to fit in, or be squeezed out. Just ask Xavier and Josh how much PT he gives even first round draft choices that won't commit totally to the team, and leave it all on the floor for the team. After a "show me what you've got" run of big minutes, they get about 15-20 MPG; that's what they get.

When anyone show Self anything less than total commitment, they are dosed with exposure to unbridled competition, in which they usually fold, or get the bench, or are shown the door.

CBernie and Shane ought to take the hint here.

Self views himself as an ultimate team player.

Self expects to be treated much the way he treats others.

Self, whether he says so, or not, and whether he is actually consciously aware of it or not, would probably respond exceptionally well to being given incremental increases in money, for his incremental improvements in coaching skill and experience the last three seasons.

Self doesn't need a lot more money. He knows he makes a ton already. He just needs tangible recognition of his accruing development as a coach in the KU basketball program, the same way his players need more PT, when they are busting their butts and getting better at meeting the needs of the team.

And in addition to coaching brilliantly, Self has almost single-handedly manned-up and saved the reputation of KU through the tempests of Manginogate, Ticketgate, and Perkinsgate, plus the awkwardly handled AD search--all episodes he did not cause and had no professional obligation to step into.

Plus there is Self's amazingly deft handling of the usual, problematic PR episodes that occur with college age players maturing in the spotlight. This extraordinary skill of his means CBernie and Shane never have to get their hands dirty the way other chancellors and ADs often have to do with lesser coaches.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Self is no dummy.

He is apparently signalling his bosses: I am getting lots of offers, just not the right one yet. Wake up and do something to prove to me that you are more like me and less like a disingenuous bureaucrat that is going to make me wait for another ring to give me a raise.

Self knows that two of the last three years he has done way better coaching jobs, done way more for the university, and worked way harder even, than he did the year he won it.

Self's question is: do his bosses understand it?

Do CBernie and Shane smell the professional coffee?

Do they understand that from the moment the Russian oligarch bought the New Jersey Nets, that the gloves are off on NBA coaching salaries in coming years?

Do they understand that Self is a once in a generation coach?

Do they realize that Self is probably one of 3 coach out there good enough to play it straight and keep up with the check-book recruiters?

Paraphrasing an old oil filter ad, you can pay Self now for an incrementally improving coach, or you can pay him later for the cost of an entirely new one with a salary driven by changing ownership in the NBA.

Which'll it be?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

P.S.: I'm braced for someone telling me that Self has been given an incremental raise for his own getting better and that I have missed it. Please, tell me Coach Self has been given a little bump, over and above what his renegotiated contract (after the ring team and T. Boone) required.

Viggo3003 3 years, 3 months ago

Couldn't agree more Jaybate, great thoughts. Bill Self does deserve a raise and I hope it happens.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 3 months ago

Is there an issue regarding Self receiving a raise? News to me.

bhol 3 years, 3 months ago

Self absolutely deserves a raise. If Barnes is getting a raise, Self should be getting one on the principle alone that Self (championship coach) can't be getting paid less than Barnes (2nd fiddle).

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate your commentary while well informed and insightful needs a Cliff Notes version. Love your passion though. Have you considered writing a book in all sincerity about KU Basketball?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Dr. Naismith was able to invent the game of basketball using 13 rules. Jaybate, could write a book that would be contained in 13 volumes. The Cliff Notes would resemble War and Peace!

coloradorcj 3 years, 3 months ago

Jhaux, this is the best comment on here. Good subtlety. Tolstoy's mistress didn't like the title and insisted he change it to "War and Peace".

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, I only skimmed your musings so I may be off base. However, while I realize the economics of the big time coaching world is different than the average joe schmoe like me, handing out big time pay raises to college coaches when the working class is struggling might not be the best PR move. HCBS is not for want. If we have to wait until there is a competing offer to up the ante than so be it. College coaches get asked questions about being a pro coach all the time and I think Coach's response is about as politically correct as one could be. Never close doors, never say never, but you're happy where you're at.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

I tend to agree with your comments Ohio. It's not a good move to throw big dollars at someone during a time when many are struggling. (I'll add to that the following) http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm

Found this article about coaches in the 2011 tourney! HCBS ranked 4th on the list in total compensation at 3.4mil. In comparison Roy Williams makes 1.65 millon the same as Turgeon. The only coaches that made the NCAA tourney that make more are the Snake at UK 3.8 mil Coach K 4.2mil and Way out in front Pitino 6.1mil. Looking at the Big 12 the next closest coach is Rick Barnes at 2.2mil. So we know Self is by far the highest paid coach in the Big 12 and is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college bball. Sure he could make more in the NBA but where would/could he go that he would have a fan base and the ability to bring in top flight talent every year other than Kansas? Sure he could move to another college program but in all reality wouldn't any move be a latteral move? I wanna keep Self just like every other fan but arguing that his salary isn't enough or in line with other coaches is just off base. Throwing money at someone is always flattering but when our coach is making more than 99% of college coaches it seems wasteful to me. Just my opinion.

Clydecito 3 years, 3 months ago

Most of those coaching contracts already have incremental raises built in over the term of the contract.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

rxdoc,

I didn't realize Roy was making less than half of what Self is pulling in. That is quite surprising.

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate is one hard hittin' nail drivin' man!

KUbsee69 3 years, 3 months ago

Yup ... a hard hittin' nail driver ... a hammer ... i.e. a real tool.

Fred Davis 3 years, 3 months ago

Self's not going anywhere. The guy makes $3 million a year and who knows how much else in compensation, so really, he's pulling in probably anywhere from $4 to $5 million per year in all reality in a town where he's treated like royalty. He has established himself as one of the best three recruiters in the nation and while one title is great, the reality is - and he knows this - he should have at least two to four Final Fours under his belt by now at Kansas. And from a coaching standpoint, Billy still needs a little work on his in-game adjustments, because VCU's gameplan still has me shaking my head two months later. But Self is still one of the elite coaches in college basketball, he wants another title, the fans want another title and I see a real scenario in the next 4-5 seasons where Self and Co. grab another couple titles, I really do. While the loss to VCU is the toughest loss I've ever experienced in my 30 years of Kansas fandom, I think Self learned more about himself after that loss and these last three seasons than he ever learned from winning a title. It was a good question, a relevant question to ask about someday leaving for the Show, but Self's a KU guy til he decides he wants another challenge. Let's just hope that he pulls off that much-needed homerun he's been talking about and can get at least two of the kids picking today, although my gut says he may only get one. Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

Now that Bill Self has announced he is leaving, let's take a look at the list of potential candidates:

1] President Obama - May be available next year..then again, he may not. 2] Dickie Vitale - Constant uber-decidal yelling would provide a big distraction and a huge tactical advantage. 3] Coach Roy Williams - tell him Coach Dean Smith told him to go back. 4] Prince William - Only if he brings Pipa along as an ASSistant coach. 5] Erin Roberts - Only stipulation would be mini skirts and mesh hose for every game. 6] Oprah - She'll capture every recruit's mom in the country. 7] Scott Pollard - It sure would be fun, wouldn't it!!?? 8] Bobby Knight - Make sure all the chairs are nailed down. 9] Lady Ga Ga - No reason other than I like her videos. 10] Jaybate - Let the age of Ultimate Smash Ball begin!!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Good list Oak - Dick Vitale might actually be a good choice - at least he'd make sure they worked on their free throws !!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 3 months ago

but Bob Knight would have the whole team working on shot fakes.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

11] Christopher Walken - It's clear this team needs considerably more cowbell.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 3 months ago

Having read "At Home in the Phog" I don't think money is the ultimate driving force for Self's vocation. "The last two years, we’ve been good. We’ve been real good, but we haven’t done it (won NCAA title). There’s something inside, ‘We’ve got to do it again.’ That’s my total motivation right now.” I will let that quote speak for itself.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 3 months ago

Self will be the next coach at OKC when Durant and Westbrook tune out their current coach Brooks which could come as soon as next week after the Mavs work them over.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Is this something that you've given much thought to? Coach Brooks may not be able to propel the Thunder past Dallas. But, what a run they've had under him this year. Can't see them kicking him to the curb in lieu of Self.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 3 months ago

Playerz run the Association, not the coaches unless your last name is Jackson. Sitting in the coach’s chair in your home state with an eventual HOF player in Durant is about the best situation you could draw up to make the big jump. Eventually with all college coaches, the situation will sour and Self will finish his HOF career cashing TBoone checks at OSU. You heard it here first.

bhol 3 years, 3 months ago

Sure, RC and Self are friends, but is San Antonio really a better job than KU? San Antonio is too old to be that attractive as a job, IMO. I agree, KU fans should be worried about OKC calling for Self. This is a good job for any coach and for Self it would seem like a perfect fit: A young nucleus of good to great players that Self should have some cache with, and in a player's league that could be a huge advantage for a college coach; a fan base that brings a college-type atmosphere nearly every game; and it's in Oklahoma. Self would have to at least consider this job, but I like hearing that he's still feeling that there is a lot left to accomplish.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

'The End' would like to go a bit of subject today and get your viewpoints on this.....

Do the Helms titles of the 1920's count as official Kansas National Titles???

I have mixed feelings on this. The NCAA does not recoginize them.....but we at Kansas do. I certainly think that we should hang the banners and count them-seeing that there was no tournement back then and how else are we going to decide who was champion?

Yet.....can we really compare them to a school like Kentucky that has the official NCAA titles(5 I think?).??? Yes.....I know what many of you are think......the point-shaving titles should not be counted. But I reject that. The titles are in the books and nothing will ever change that.

kennethst 3 years, 3 months ago

'The End'??? Asking a real question?? Making sense? Not being critical??

Well done.....I knew you could do it!

Well....I say count them.....as you said there was no other way to decide back then.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

I know.....I have been doing that lately. What's wrong with me???

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 3 months ago

he's only trying to build cred, so that he can't rant and rave like a Wildcat again once people start listening to him.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

You have exposed my diabolical plot!!!!!! How did you know?????

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

I vote they count and I have told UK and NC posters that they should count their's as well.

It was the only game in town and if you go back into the records, the years that the Helms overlapped the NCAA's, they both chose the same schools, except the one year Kentucky was banned.

Also, once they are in the books, they are there forever, astericks and all. Thank God Calimari was 0 for 2 on vacated NCAA titles.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

It's truly amazing that the Calipari issue is not ever talked about!!! Both title contender teams vacated!! How is this guy still a coach??? With X's and O's I'm sure he is good......but not the rest. I would not want him at Kansas

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe UCLA actually has the most titles.

dylans 3 years, 3 months ago

10 of 11 in one stretch I believe

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't count them for the reason that the players at the time did not know that they were playing for a NC, which would've undoubtedly changed how the team approached their games, and how their opponents played them. There are countless examples of this in college footbal.

Even more, the people who made the decision didn't even watch the teams play or have any films to review.

Finally, I'll refer to Self's comments during the realignment crisis last summer when he said that he did not understand how a program with 3 NCs like KU could be left behind or words to that effect. Those remarks were reported here.

overseashawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate if you recall Xavier Henry actually started and played plenty of minutes before finally bolting for the NBA and leaving KU with a lackluster career. Perhaps Coach Self learned his lesson a bit with X not really fitting in and that's why when JS came along and followed suit he didn't play too many minutes.

I read an interview with Xavier Henry before last years draft and he talked about how in workouts for the draft that he had been taking it to the bucket and how he would be a slasher in the NBA. All I could think about was how little he took the ball to the hoop while at KU. Selby's draft report states similar things about how he's a great 2 guard who is multi-skilled and can take the ball to the basket. Selby's KU career consisted of ill-timed 3 point shots.

kennethst 3 years, 3 months ago

Xavier was actually pretty darn good at Kansas......Not great but still.....pretty good. Much better than Selby ever was.

Steve Yeakel 3 years, 3 months ago

Not a wise time to run an article like this, when 3 guys are trying to decide if they want to come here, on the very day, an article that Bill Self is not thinking about going to the NBA "right now." Come on JFW writers and editors, think before you post.

Dee Shaw 3 years, 3 months ago

As I have always said, any good A.D. in Div.1 has a secret list of possible coachs to replace there excisting coach because you never know when your coach can call you and say "Thanks but the NBA has called and the money is to good to pass up".Bill Self is one of those coachs that is in that category of great college coachs that could move up to next level. Here is my list. I think this list is hard to beat. To be honest this is "THE" list to choose from. In no praticular order.

Jamie Dixon(Pittsburgh) Jaye Wright(Villanova) Brad Stevenson(Butler) Mark Turgeon(Maryland) Sean Miller(Arizona) Tad Boyle(Colorado) *Lorenzo Romar(Washington)

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

"any good A.D."...do we know if we have one of those yet??

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry...that came out wrong. I meant that our new guy hasn't been in office long enough to truly evaluate. I truly hope he is a winner!!

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

Excellent list. I might add the Notre Dame coach(Brough,Breaigh??) And don't forget our asst coaches either

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

I would drop Mark, Sean and Lorenzo from the list, however Brad Stevenson and especially Tad Boyle, a Jayhawk would look great.

Kansas, not unlike Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke is a true "Destination Position" and I am sure any of these gentlemen would jump at the opportunity.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't get me wrong - I'm a dyed in the wool KU fan - but why do you say that Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke are not "Destination Positions"? I don't understand.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

Oakville is a good writer and has a unique way with words......when he says "not unlike"......he means "like". So he is saying that those schools are definitely destination schools. I would say KU,UK,Duke,UNC and now possibly UConn are destination schools. UCLA used to be but anymore.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

theend - thanks for clearing that up for me. Sometimes I read like I drive - too fast for my own good.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Agree with all but UK.

UK seems a destination AAU program for the reading challenged.

Regarding UCLA, they just need to shed Ben Fouland and get a KU man in there.

But not Self! :-)

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Just wanted to let you know that Butler's coach is Brad Stevens.

theend 3 years, 3 months ago

Pretty incredible that he has brought Butler to 2 straight title games. I really wish they would have beat Duke-came so close.......But UConn roughed them up. Actually.....I thought Butler played very similar to KU vs VCU.....couln't make anything!!

cobweb 3 years, 3 months ago

Self is smart enough to realize that his biggest advantage is his personality and ability to recruit. The pro draft penalizes you for being successful. He can coach, but there are a lot of good coaches. Unless he's really bored or gets caught with a coed, he'd be crazy to leave.

Kevin Kelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Lets start with the most important question. What exactly IS an NBA coach? That's the dude who's not in uniform that calls most of the times out?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Your logic is sound and that is why I am always so amazed at pro teams hiring coaches like Cal and Ricky Pitts and Lon Kruger and Tim Floyd and, and, and...

The NBA is crazy.

Probably the best pro coaching prospect in D1 is Danny Manning.

If he left and coached a minor league team successfully, the way Phil Jackson did once upon a time, after being away from the game a few years, and brought a top Xs and Os man with him, as Phil relied on Tex Winter, Danny could be pro head coaching material in no time. And if he waited for the right opp with the right franchise player, he could be duplicating what Phil did in the pros.

Oh, but please, Danny, don't do it. You are soooooooooo good at what you are doing, and we respect you so much. It is so great to see you down on that bench giving the bigs your look when they flub, and that great smile when they succeed.

Rock Chalk!

Sam Constance 3 years, 3 months ago

Self is no fool. The NBA may pay better than the college game, but that pay raise comes at a price. He knows that it's MUCH easier to keep your job at a place like Kansas, where you have the infrastructure of a big-time program and therefore, recruiting base, than in the NBA.

I don't care if RC Buford is a KU alum and close friend of Self's, top-flight NBA jobs (like the Spurs have been over the past decade) don't typically go to college coaches. The NBA has two major hurdles for new coaches:

1) Mold an also-ran into a competitive team that makes the playoffs with some regularity but has no realistic title aspirations.

2) Mold a competitive, playoff team into a contender.

It's hard enough to accomplish #1 in a league where competitive balance isn't always present. It's even harder to take that second step, and typically, when a team IS able to take both steps, they are led there by two different coaches. Coach #1 (the Scott Skiles and/or Doug Collins type) gets the team to a place of respectability but is let go when the team can't take that next step and stagnates. Coach #2 (the Phil Jackson type) comes in and takes a team to the next level.

If Self ever jumps to the NBA, it will be when he's at a point in his career that he is ready to take on his "final" challenge as a head coach. That's my opinion anyway.

khekhen 3 years, 3 months ago

how does recruiting make your job easier in college? recruiting is a life or death struggle at the college level...

in the NBA, you dont recruit. you have a GM and a whole front office that takes care of the players for you. as a coach, all you do is coach the game and manage personalities(which is one of Self's strongest qualities).

what recruiting base does Kansas have? you must mean the whole United States right?

daveycrockett 3 years, 3 months ago

Coach Self is already one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball. When is enough....enough? Why would any successful, highly paid college coach even consider giving all that up to coach a team of spoiled, over-paid, pros. That transition is usually not a successful one. Stay put coach.

Dee Shaw 3 years, 3 months ago

When is enough ........enought? Oh I guess when some NBA team would pay $5 or $6 million a year. It is ok to make as much as you can in life. That is called capitalism my friend. A word in todays world looked as an evil. Ameica you gotta love it.

okiedave 3 years, 3 months ago

Self is a smart man. He needs to only study Larry Brown who left the best college coaching job in the nation at KU to coach pro and finally burn out after tumulteous ups and downs in the pro ranks. Brown wanted to return to KU after Williams left, but wasn't even considered. Self will earn more $ at KU than he or his children and grandchildren will be able to spend. At some point the quality of life and stability for family and saying no to the stress caused by contant pressure to perform in a money hungry pro league, simply compels the intelligent to say enough is enough and to be satisfied with the best gig going in college ball.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

To pay for his lawyers? :-)

Joe Ross 3 years, 3 months ago

The real story is the timing of this article. A lingering question as to Self's future plans would mean potential recruits could shun Kansas. Someone thought it wise to publish this article to end that question. Maybe DeAndre got the message.

Joe Ross 3 years, 3 months ago