Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bill Self not interested in coaching in NBA right now

Kansas head coach Bill Self, left, and Thomas Robinson (0) watch from the bench as the VCU Rams jump to an early lead on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

KU coach Bill Self was asked about possibly coaching in the NBA someday in an interview Tuesday with 610 sports radio.

“I think I’ve got a better job than two-thirds of the NBA jobs right where I’m at, at Kansas. I don’t see myself being a pro guy,” Self said. “I don’t want to say never, but right now, I feel I’m a college guy. I’ve got such a great gig. The last two years, we’ve been good. We’ve been real good, but we haven’t done it (won NCAA title). There’s something inside, ‘We’ve got to do it again.’ That’s my total motivation right now.”

Of college coaches moving to the NBA, Self said: “I think it’s a great game and I think fans miss it sometimes when they think there’s not as much strategy, because I think there’s probably more strategy in an NBA game than there ever would be in a college game because they have a short clock. You’ve got to get a shot every 24 instead of 35 seconds.

“It is intriguing for many, but, to me, I feel like there’s several good NBA jobs out there and there are many that aren’t great NBA jobs. You wonder why college coaches aren’t as successful when they go, well they take over bad jobs. If a college coach was to take over the (Miami) Heat right now, there is a chance he could win. Or if a college coach was to take over the (Chicago) Bulls right now, there’s a chance he could win, but college coaches don’t get that.”

Comments

Joe Ross 2 years, 11 months ago

The real story is the timing of this article. A lingering question as to Self's future plans would mean potential recruits could shun Kansas. Someone thought it wise to publish this article to end that question. Maybe DeAndre got the message.

Joe Ross 2 years, 11 months ago

Joe Ross 2 years, 11 months ago

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Talking about college coaches salary? How about the white&cardinal red elephant in the room? Why does Rick Pitino earn $6.1million/year? Hmm?

okiedave 2 years, 11 months ago

Self is a smart man. He needs to only study Larry Brown who left the best college coaching job in the nation at KU to coach pro and finally burn out after tumulteous ups and downs in the pro ranks. Brown wanted to return to KU after Williams left, but wasn't even considered. Self will earn more $ at KU than he or his children and grandchildren will be able to spend. At some point the quality of life and stability for family and saying no to the stress caused by contant pressure to perform in a money hungry pro league, simply compels the intelligent to say enough is enough and to be satisfied with the best gig going in college ball.

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 11 months ago

Self wouldn't make it in the NBA, he can't coach here at KU, which he didn't last year, let alone try it in the NBA. He has had his lunch taken away from him in the tourney, what in the world would he do in the NBA?

daveycrockett 2 years, 11 months ago

Coach Self is already one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball. When is enough....enough? Why would any successful, highly paid college coach even consider giving all that up to coach a team of spoiled, over-paid, pros. That transition is usually not a successful one. Stay put coach.

Sam Constance 2 years, 11 months ago

Self is no fool. The NBA may pay better than the college game, but that pay raise comes at a price. He knows that it's MUCH easier to keep your job at a place like Kansas, where you have the infrastructure of a big-time program and therefore, recruiting base, than in the NBA.

I don't care if RC Buford is a KU alum and close friend of Self's, top-flight NBA jobs (like the Spurs have been over the past decade) don't typically go to college coaches. The NBA has two major hurdles for new coaches:

1) Mold an also-ran into a competitive team that makes the playoffs with some regularity but has no realistic title aspirations.

2) Mold a competitive, playoff team into a contender.

It's hard enough to accomplish #1 in a league where competitive balance isn't always present. It's even harder to take that second step, and typically, when a team IS able to take both steps, they are led there by two different coaches. Coach #1 (the Scott Skiles and/or Doug Collins type) gets the team to a place of respectability but is let go when the team can't take that next step and stagnates. Coach #2 (the Phil Jackson type) comes in and takes a team to the next level.

If Self ever jumps to the NBA, it will be when he's at a point in his career that he is ready to take on his "final" challenge as a head coach. That's my opinion anyway.

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't believe CS is pro material. First, he never played in the NBA. So he doesn't have that valuable experience as a player which would help him coach. Second, the game is night-and-day different than college. Bill has spent his entire adult life in and at colleges. And as he ages, it becomes harder and harder to take on a completely different job. He could just as well try to get into the astronaut program...

But lesson one in coaching is to "never say never." Not so much because it could happen... more for what it can do for your bottom line when you negotiate a new contract.

Kevin Kelly 2 years, 11 months ago

Lets start with the most important question. What exactly IS an NBA coach? That's the dude who's not in uniform that calls most of the times out?

cobweb 2 years, 11 months ago

Self is smart enough to realize that his biggest advantage is his personality and ability to recruit. The pro draft penalizes you for being successful. He can coach, but there are a lot of good coaches. Unless he's really bored or gets caught with a coed, he'd be crazy to leave.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 11 months ago

As I have always said, any good A.D. in Div.1 has a secret list of possible coachs to replace there excisting coach because you never know when your coach can call you and say "Thanks but the NBA has called and the money is to good to pass up".Bill Self is one of those coachs that is in that category of great college coachs that could move up to next level. Here is my list. I think this list is hard to beat. To be honest this is "THE" list to choose from. In no praticular order.

Jamie Dixon(Pittsburgh) Jaye Wright(Villanova) Brad Stevenson(Butler) Mark Turgeon(Maryland) Sean Miller(Arizona) Tad Boyle(Colorado) *Lorenzo Romar(Washington)

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 11 months ago

Not a wise time to run an article like this, when 3 guys are trying to decide if they want to come here, on the very day, an article that Bill Self is not thinking about going to the NBA "right now." Come on JFW writers and editors, think before you post.

overseashawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate if you recall Xavier Henry actually started and played plenty of minutes before finally bolting for the NBA and leaving KU with a lackluster career. Perhaps Coach Self learned his lesson a bit with X not really fitting in and that's why when JS came along and followed suit he didn't play too many minutes.

I read an interview with Xavier Henry before last years draft and he talked about how in workouts for the draft that he had been taking it to the bucket and how he would be a slasher in the NBA. All I could think about was how little he took the ball to the hoop while at KU. Selby's draft report states similar things about how he's a great 2 guard who is multi-skilled and can take the ball to the basket. Selby's KU career consisted of ill-timed 3 point shots.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

'The End' would like to go a bit of subject today and get your viewpoints on this.....

Do the Helms titles of the 1920's count as official Kansas National Titles???

I have mixed feelings on this. The NCAA does not recoginize them.....but we at Kansas do. I certainly think that we should hang the banners and count them-seeing that there was no tournement back then and how else are we going to decide who was champion?

Yet.....can we really compare them to a school like Kentucky that has the official NCAA titles(5 I think?).??? Yes.....I know what many of you are think......the point-shaving titles should not be counted. But I reject that. The titles are in the books and nothing will ever change that.

FreddyinLA 2 years, 11 months ago

Self will be the next coach at OKC when Durant and Westbrook tune out their current coach Brooks which could come as soon as next week after the Mavs work them over.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 11 months ago

Having read "At Home in the Phog" I don't think money is the ultimate driving force for Self's vocation. "The last two years, we’ve been good. We’ve been real good, but we haven’t done it (won NCAA title). There’s something inside, ‘We’ve got to do it again.’ That’s my total motivation right now.” I will let that quote speak for itself.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Now that Bill Self has announced he is leaving, let's take a look at the list of potential candidates:

1] President Obama - May be available next year..then again, he may not. 2] Dickie Vitale - Constant uber-decidal yelling would provide a big distraction and a huge tactical advantage. 3] Coach Roy Williams - tell him Coach Dean Smith told him to go back. 4] Prince William - Only if he brings Pipa along as an ASSistant coach. 5] Erin Roberts - Only stipulation would be mini skirts and mesh hose for every game. 6] Oprah - She'll capture every recruit's mom in the country. 7] Scott Pollard - It sure would be fun, wouldn't it!!?? 8] Bobby Knight - Make sure all the chairs are nailed down. 9] Lady Ga Ga - No reason other than I like her videos. 10] Jaybate - Let the age of Ultimate Smash Ball begin!!

Fred Davis 2 years, 11 months ago

Self's not going anywhere. The guy makes $3 million a year and who knows how much else in compensation, so really, he's pulling in probably anywhere from $4 to $5 million per year in all reality in a town where he's treated like royalty. He has established himself as one of the best three recruiters in the nation and while one title is great, the reality is - and he knows this - he should have at least two to four Final Fours under his belt by now at Kansas. And from a coaching standpoint, Billy still needs a little work on his in-game adjustments, because VCU's gameplan still has me shaking my head two months later. But Self is still one of the elite coaches in college basketball, he wants another title, the fans want another title and I see a real scenario in the next 4-5 seasons where Self and Co. grab another couple titles, I really do. While the loss to VCU is the toughest loss I've ever experienced in my 30 years of Kansas fandom, I think Self learned more about himself after that loss and these last three seasons than he ever learned from winning a title. It was a good question, a relevant question to ask about someday leaving for the Show, but Self's a KU guy til he decides he wants another challenge. Let's just hope that he pulls off that much-needed homerun he's been talking about and can get at least two of the kids picking today, although my gut says he may only get one. Rock Chalk

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

One more March Madness belly flop and it's adios Disco Bill !

REHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate is one hard hittin' nail drivin' man!

Rick Arnoldy 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate, I only skimmed your musings so I may be off base. However, while I realize the economics of the big time coaching world is different than the average joe schmoe like me, handing out big time pay raises to college coaches when the working class is struggling might not be the best PR move. HCBS is not for want. If we have to wait until there is a competing offer to up the ante than so be it. College coaches get asked questions about being a pro coach all the time and I think Coach's response is about as politically correct as one could be. Never close doors, never say never, but you're happy where you're at.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate your commentary while well informed and insightful needs a Cliff Notes version. Love your passion though. Have you considered writing a book in all sincerity about KU Basketball?

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

P.S.: I'm braced for someone telling me that Self has been given an incremental raise for his own getting better and that I have missed it. Please, tell me Coach Self has been given a little bump, over and above what his renegotiated contract (after the ring team and T. Boone) required.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

Self is no dummy.

He is apparently signalling his bosses: I am getting lots of offers, just not the right one yet. Wake up and do something to prove to me that you are more like me and less like a disingenuous bureaucrat that is going to make me wait for another ring to give me a raise.

Self knows that two of the last three years he has done way better coaching jobs, done way more for the university, and worked way harder even, than he did the year he won it.

Self's question is: do his bosses understand it?

Do CBernie and Shane smell the professional coffee?

Do they understand that from the moment the Russian oligarch bought the New Jersey Nets, that the gloves are off on NBA coaching salaries in coming years?

Do they understand that Self is a once in a generation coach?

Do they realize that Self is probably one of 3 coach out there good enough to play it straight and keep up with the check-book recruiters?

Paraphrasing an old oil filter ad, you can pay Self now for an incrementally improving coach, or you can pay him later for the cost of an entirely new one with a salary driven by changing ownership in the NBA.

Which'll it be?

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

If you prove yourself a team guy, when you play better, you get incrementally more minutes, not the whole 40 minutes.

Self does not believe in overturning the team just because a superstar wants big minutes and can perhaps even deliver. Everyone has to fit in, or be squeezed out. Just ask Xavier and Josh how much PT he gives even first round draft choices that won't commit totally to the team, and leave it all on the floor for the team. After a "show me what you've got" run of big minutes, they get about 15-20 MPG; that's what they get.

When anyone show Self anything less than total commitment, they are dosed with exposure to unbridled competition, in which they usually fold, or get the bench, or are shown the door.

CBernie and Shane ought to take the hint here.

Self views himself as an ultimate team player.

Self expects to be treated much the way he treats others.

Self, whether he says so, or not, and whether he is actually consciously aware of it or not, would probably respond exceptionally well to being given incremental increases in money, for his incremental improvements in coaching skill and experience the last three seasons.

Self doesn't need a lot more money. He knows he makes a ton already. He just needs tangible recognition of his accruing development as a coach in the KU basketball program, the same way his players need more PT, when they are busting their butts and getting better at meeting the needs of the team.

And in addition to coaching brilliantly, Self has almost single-handedly manned-up and saved the reputation of KU through the tempests of Manginogate, Ticketgate, and Perkinsgate, plus the awkwardly handled AD search--all episodes he did not cause and had no professional obligation to step into.

Plus there is Self's amazingly deft handling of the usual, problematic PR episodes that occur with college age players maturing in the spotlight. This extraordinary skill of his means CBernie and Shane never have to get their hands dirty the way other chancellors and ADs often have to do with lesser coaches.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

"Self's Compensation: Which'll It Be?"

Self's candor here is a wake-up call to management here.

But are CBernie and Shane listening?

Self has been busting his sitter here, grabbed two 30+ Ws two seasons in a row, gone to the Elite Eight and the Sweet 16, and his bosses have not said, "Here, Coach Self, we would like to show our gratitude for your three superb performances, since your last ring."

Three years without a raise, given Self's fabulous performances, is a very long time, especially when pro coaching salaries have spiked even faster than those of CEO of moribund corporations living on Fed bailouts.

And it is rising pro coaching salaries that ultimately drive college coaching salaries, whenever the colleges can afford more than they are paying, after signing a new TV contract.

CBernie and Shane are making one of the classic mistakes of managers managing an employee of great talent: they are waiting to bump his salary until they have to, because of a competitive offer.

Why is this a mistake?

Because they are not building any emotional capital with Self now, when doing so would be less expensive, than it will be later.

CBernie's and Shane's lack of monetary praise now incentivizes Self to be ruthlessly competitive in bargaining the next time he wins a ring, or simply has another great season, and the pro offers roll in yet again.

Self has waited for them to show him some rational, managerial respect for a job well-done.

Nothing but words of praise have apparently surfaced.

Words of praise, without bones of raise, do not build emotional capital with a man who knows the high firing risk of his profession.

Giving him a raise now, maybe even a big one, would convince Self that CBernie and Shane are something more than typical, disloyal, short-sighted university bureaucrats that would fire him in a second, if his W&L statement were to falter.

Not giving him a raise now is basically saying, "Yeah, Bill, we're just like all the other pencil necks that have fired your friends and mentors through out your life. We're just skimming the gravy of the great run you have been having and we'll do what we have to do, if you win another ring, but not before."

This course of action by CBernie and Shane ensures Self will mercilessly stick it to them, which means to KU, when the next round of bargaining arises.

Like most great and savvy talents in any field, Self's fierce competitiveness can only be bridled by staying engaged with his honor and loyalty.

Self talks endlessly about team and subordination to team and sacrifice to team and loyalty to his coaching staff and players. And when players, coaches, and others show him loyalty, he consistently shows that he is a "stand-up guy."

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 11 months ago

That's weird, I thought I just read an article about how coach Self didn't want to bolt for the NBA. I guess I better read it again because according to you guys, it's an entirely different article. I guess Self will bolt for the NBA, probably tomorrow. Also, we never landed on the moon, Bin Laden isn't dead, and I just saw Bigfoot.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 11 months ago

At least Self gets it. Cal didnt, neither did Pitino. BTW, I wouldnt blame Self one bit if he jumped to the NBA. I just hope and pray that if this does happen, that we do NOT go after Turgeon. Blast me for saying this, but I would hate to see him fail here, which he probably would, and then be an outcast in Lawrence. IMO

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I believe there will be an opening in the small town of Los Angeles next year.

khekhen 2 years, 11 months ago

i bet Self sings a different tune once Popovich retires and the Spurs gig is open...