Saturday, May 14, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Cole Aldrich to hold camp in Olathe

Kansas center Cole Aldrich declares his intention to enter the NBA draft alongside head coach Bill Self, Monday, March 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University basketball center Cole Aldrich of the Oklahoma City Thunder will hold a basketball camp for youths kindergarden through eighth grade from June 27-30 at Olathe Northwest High School. Aldrich will be assisted by former KU players Jeff Gueldner, Tyrel Reed and Mark Randall.

Registration forms are available at www.colealdrich.com/camp_2011.pdf

Clark speaks

Two-time Olympic bronze medalist diver Mary Ellen Clark was featured speaker at Friday’s Midwest Sports Performance Conference at KU’s Wagnon Student Athlete Center.

Clark is diving coach at Amherst (Mass.) College and Mount Holyoke College and also works with high school divers.

“It is a huge invitation for professionals like me to come in and see how they do it here,” Clark said. “Let me tell you, how they do it (weight, flexibility training) here is pretty amazing. I just saw a facility that blew me away because there are machines here that I have never seen before and I am in the business.”

Guest speakers Friday and today include Dr. William Kraemer, professor in the Department of Kinesiology at UConn; Jerry Martin, the strength and conditioning coordinator at UConn; Andrew Fry, chair of KU’s department of health, sport and exercise sciences and K-State director of strength and conditioning Chris Dawson.

“I think everybody just brings so much to the table,” Clark said. “It is the variety of people that are in this room that is making this conference a big deal.”

Aggies’ opening

Colorado basketball coach/former KU guard Tad Boyle is not interested in the head coaching vacancy at Texas A&M, the Boulder Daily Camera reports.

The Aggies have contacted NBA TV analyst Jeff Van Gundy about the position. Van Gundy is a former Providence and Rutgers assistant who has coached the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets. He’s from Houston.

“I enjoyed my three years in college coaching very much but it’s been a long time,” Van Gundy told 1050The Game in Houston. “A lot has changed. The AAU basketball circuit has changed. The proliferation of agents involved in college recruiting has changed, so there’s a lot of things that have really changed incredibly since the last time I coached in college.”

He told Texags.com Friday he’s no longer a candidate.

Basketball school big for Turg

Former KU basketball manager Ann Turgeon, the wife of new Maryland coach/former KU guard Mark Turgeon had this to say at Mark’s introductory news conference at Maryland.

“This is a basketball school, that’s first and foremost,” she said in an article in the College Station Eagle. “We’ve been in great areas. We have a great group of kids we left behind at A&M and a phenomenal university. But he was really attracted to the idea of being at a basketball-minded school.”

ESPN’s Andy Katz reports that Turgeon on Friday interviewed K-State assistant Dalonte Hill for a spot on his UM staff. KSU coach Frank Martin told Katz he isn’t sure Hill will take the job if offered. Hill is from the D.C. area.

Recruiting

Trevor Lacey, a 6-3 senior guard from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., will choose either KU, Kentucky, Alabama or Auburn on Wednesday, the last day of the spring signing period.

As to DeAndre Daniels’ plans ... nobody knows. Daniels, 6-8 senior from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., has yet to say whether he’ll sign with KU, Duke or Texas on Wednesday. Players do not have to sign letters-of-intent. They can report to school and sign financial aid agreements at that time.

“After speaking with a few people, I’ve settled on the phrase ‘paralysis by analysis.’ To be clear, I have no hard-hitting inside knowledge,” said ESPN’s Dave Telep. “Frankly, I can’t even tell who is really in the mix. Could it be Texas? Duke? Kansas? Someone we've never heard of? All of the above are possibilities.”

One college assistant coach told Telep he did not think Daniels would sign with a school Wednesday.

“It’s as bizarre as a decision as I've ever seen. It could change on an hourly basis,” the assistant told Telep.

Jamari Traylor, 6-8 from IMG, who is considering KU, Indiana, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, also has not announced his plans for signing day.

Comments

vd 2 years, 11 months ago

No comment on Turg possibly taking Hill? Frank might be hurtin.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 2 years, 11 months ago

Just like I have said several times, ignore them and they will go away. Now, just do it!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

After each troll post simply type Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...they will eventually go away!!

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

"If it's true that Duke was his first choice and he was just frustrated with its admissions dept, do we really want to be someone's Plan B?"

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes!!! Who gives a flying f**k how someone gets to KU? The only thing that matters is how he plays when he gets there. And just because someone's first choice didn't work out and he had to "settle" for KU doesn't mean he's a bad person. You guys are so off the deep end on this recruiting stuff, it's laughable!!! In fact, we could just reprint the things that were said about Brandon, DA, etc., etc., etc. and it would look exactly the same. Every time a recruit doesn't decide in the time frame that some armchair point guards consider acceptable, apparently that makes him the second coming of Attilla the Hun. Addlime said it best when talking about how DA made his decision (although he also unfortunately used the term "a spoiled pre-madonna." Seriously??? Are you saying it would be better for someone to be spoiled AFTER he became Madonna?)

"Don't feed the TROLL!"

Ding, ding, ding!!! One of the best lines of the year! Guys, if we would just stop responding to the trolls on this board, eventually they would get bored and go away. Imagine how great it would be if no one ever responded to anything a troll posted. And yes, I realize I'm being a hypocrite here, since I've done my share of responding myself. But let's at least try to not engage with these pathetic creatures.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Zzzzzzzzz. IrishDaddy stuff puts me to sleep.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

Zzzzzzzzz. Recruiting stuff puts me to sleep.

No Daniels means Releford gets his well-deserved shot.

No Lacey means EJ has to step up.

Sometimes in sports things work out for the better. Sometimes chemistry can overcome the top recruits. Sometimes coaching can overcome top recruits. And one thing that we know, coach Self will get the most out of his players.

If Lacey and/or Daniels come, great. If not, so what. I won't lose one minute of sleep.

The real recruiting battles need to be fought and won early, not late. My hunch is that our 2012 class will be a big one .... and if we take a little step back this next season, so what? A run to the elite 8 with an overachieving team makes for a pretty fun March. My guess is coach Self's little step back will still be a pretty darn solid season.

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

As far as Daniels is concerned, I feel most sorry for all of the coaches involved. It's really not fair of a kid to put so many guys through the ringer for this long. He just needs to make a decision and stick with it. What he's doing is very selfish. I hope he's a better team player, than he is a recruit.

That said, KU is clearly the best choice for him in terms of exposure and immediate playing time. Duke would be a huge mistake. Texas may make some sense, but he has a better shot at a championship at KU.

Janet Scott 2 years, 11 months ago

Santa Claus today accepted the A&M job. Announced by ESPN late last night. Mr. Claus announced in his news conference, just completed in College Station, that Rudolph will be the new head assistant coach - a first ever time a reindeer will sit on a Div 1 college bench. "If UT can have Bevo, why not Rudolp in a larger capacity at A&M?, asked Santa.

jayhawktalk 2 years, 11 months ago

Meh, I'm burnt out on the recruiting speculation.

Kudos to Cole and the rest of the guys putting on the camp. Those guys represent and remind me of what I love about the college game.

REHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Sad that the AAU circuits and agent influence stuff has disrupted the lives of so many young amateur athletes. As a high school coach several years ago I went to war with a local AAU coach whose presence and influence wrecked the competitive season of a few young athletes and the team of which they were a member. I found it amazing, the number of public school coaches who chummed with those outsiders and fell into the subversive territory of violation of state amateur rulings. The public exposure of violations by Selby, John Wall, Derrick Rose and others undoubtedly touches only the tip of the seedy underbelly of such influences upon amateur talents. It made for enjoyable reading a couple of years ago when young Harrison Barnes, one of Bill Self's top recruiting prospects, eschewed the AAU circuit after his jr. year of Iowa high schooling, preferring to focus on the game of golf which someday might augment his life in the professional business world. (No surprise that he chose to return to NC after a stellar freshman campaign.)

mikehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's hope potential signees don't make their decisions based on the comments of flaky, primadonna, spoiled fans who blog about things they have no idea what they are talking about.

addlime 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow! I can't believe how hard some of you are on this Daniels kid! How quickly we forget that Darrell Arthur tormented over his decision as well. Then, if I remember correctly, he said it came to him in a dream. That guy is awesome! He wasn't a spoiled pre-madonna, or some egotistical one and done self serving player. He was a great team player for two years, and easily the best big in that national championship game. There is no way KU wins without his clutch mid range jumpers down the stretch and in OT. Let's hope for a similar dream next monday or tuesday night. If I knew where he lived, I'd send him milk and cookies!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 11 months ago

Van Gundy's decision to withdraw from being a candidate for the TA&M job is interesting. The "..proliferation of agents.." comment speaks volumes in light of many scenarios over the past few years, The AAU basketball circuit comment also raises a lot of questions about the big picture of college recruiting and player's innocence and naivete vs. the intentions and core existence of AAU and other similar entities.

Reading between the lines of what Van Gundy said could be an indictment of where the process of recruiting has come from and gone to. The train is out of the station and picking up steam. If something isn't done to prevent true corruption, as the notable incidents have been discovered, the integrity of the college game is in jeopardy. There are too many well-intentioned players and programs to think that this corruption is the rule and not the exception. But, as each year's signing day deadlines come and go, less integrity seems to be felt and more aprehension as to what has happened or what could be revealed that would affect programs, coaches and players.

Kudos to the coaches who have avoided being implicated in any violations. Keep up the vigilance and determination to distance yourselves from situations where the system dicatates your futures in negative ways. It's like a minefield out there.

Hank Cross 2 years, 11 months ago

KU ought to pull the offer from Daniels. If he's not sold on the program enough by now to commit, he'll never will be. If it's true that Duke was his first choice and he was just frustrated with its admissions dept, do we really want to be someone's Plan B? Even if he comes, it's obvious that he'll already have one foot out the door from the tip at Late Night. Time to move on.

Nick Cole 2 years, 11 months ago

Look, the kid can take all the time he needs. I didn't sign my L.O.I. until early June when I went to college. And I wasn't being influenced by a million different people like I'm sure DD is. It can be very confusing. Not all of these kids grow up wanting to be Jayhawks like the rest of us. They have to think about how this will impact their future career. There is a lot to consider so I say take your time DD...but please pick Kansas. There will be more exposure and PT here than anywhere else on your list of schools. And same goes for Traylor. Coach Manning will develop you into an NBA player. Tell me what other school has sent more big men to the NBA over the past six years than Kansas.

RockChalk26 2 years, 11 months ago

I am over Daniels. This kid has been yanking us around for too long. He needs to make a decision soon because he is not winning over many fans at this point.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 11 months ago

Time to move on. Middle of May and you still have not made up your mind. What a joke.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

Either a Drama Queen or a $hakedown Arist, business as usual for some.

Cmill1221 2 years, 11 months ago

" Could it be Texas? Duke? Kansas? Someone we've never heard of? All of the above are possibilities.”---doesn't that make every Ncaa program by default a possibility?