Thursday, May 12, 2011

Bill Self, Roy Williams to participate in Mayetta golf event on Sunday

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as he listens to forward Mario Little's senior speech following the Jayhawks' 64-51 win over Texas A&M on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self doesn’t like his chances in a head-to-head golf matchup against his Kansas University basketball coaching predecessor, Roy Williams.

“Trust me, he is a better golfer than me,” Self, a 12-handicapper, said of North Carolina coach Williams, who has a 10 handicap.

“When I played with him before, he was (better),” added Self, who recalls playing two rounds with Williams when Self worked at Oral Roberts and Williams was at KU.

The two coaches will compete against each other in a four-person Celebrity Skins Game on Sunday to highlight the grand opening of the Firekeeper Golf Course in Mayetta.

Self will be paired with four-time PGA Tour winner Notah Begay III, who designed the course. Williams’ partner will be Randy Towner, former Alvamar golf pro who is head golf pro and general manager of Firekeeper.

“It’s a nine-hole Skins match with two pros, one really good player and one hack,” Self said, referring to himself as the hack. “I’ll definitely be the weak link in that group. It should be a lot of fun playing with those three. Of course, Roy will be there and will add so much to it. Everybody respects the job he did at KU.”

First tee shot is 10 a.m., following a dedication ceremony to start at 9:30.

The two hoops coaches certainly won’t be in mid-summer golf form.

However, Williams has been on a golf trip this week; Self hit the course last week, though he says he’s busy again with work with Wednesday’s conclusion of the spring signing period and Big 12 and NCAA meetings.

“We’ve still got recruiting to do and meetings and stuff,” Self said. “I did play last week. So I can’t say I haven’t played.”

The event is free and open to the public. Firekeeper is Begay’s first signature course and sits on 240 acres owned by the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation. It is across the street from the Prairie Band Casino & Resort. For more details about Firekeeper Golf Course, go to www.firekeepergolf.com.

Update on Robinson’s sister: KU sophomore forward Thomas Robinson’s 8-year-old sister, Jayla, continues to live with her father, James Paris, in Washington, D.C. Jayla has been with her dad since the death of her mother, Lisa, in late January. Lisa.’s stepbrother and his wife have since filed a complaint for custody of Jayla.

Jayla’s dad’s attorney has filed a motion to dismiss that complaint in Prince George’s County in Maryland.

Parties are awaiting a ruling of the circuit court in that county, where Jayla has attended school this year despite living in D.C., where she has lived most of her life. The matter ultimately may be back in a D.C. court before it’s over.

“What Mr. Paris can say is he has always been involved in his daughter’s life. The documents and records we submitted as part of our motion show he has always been involved in his daughter’s life,” Paris’ attorney, Ed Varrone, said Thursday.

“Jayla is in a good home. She is going to school. She is getting the kind of care and attention a girl in her situation is expected to get or you would hope to get, including mental health counseling,” Varrone added. “All that was put in place before the custody case was being filed because it was sort of the obvious thing to do, before he (Paris) had a lawyer and any of that was going on. He has the support network in place that Jayla’s mother, Lisa, had in place by document several years before she died. The child is being well taken care of.”

Jayla’s dad regrets the media scrutiny. “From his point of view it is a private matter. It is a little girl who does not need her business out on the street unnecessarily,” Varrone said, noting “at the end of the day, that does not help this little girl. At some point she is not going to be a little girl and in this era of Google, nothing goes away, and given that, I’m not sure at this point we want to get in the newspaper.”

KU coach Bill Self said: “I have no comment on what has transpired. I do think it’s sad anyone would play out (publicly) what is transpiring in the lives of a 20-year-old brother and 8-year old sister in a way that certainly could affect their lives.”

The attorney for Lisa’s stepbrother could not be reached for comment.

This, that: KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson on Thursday celebrated his 50th birthday. ... KU senior-to-be Tyshawn Taylor, who had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his index finger of his shooting hand on April 8, is back on the court shooting and dribbling. He has not been cleared for full contact drills yet. ... Josh Selby, in an interview with Yahoo!Sports, says after weeks of three-a-day workouts in Las Vegas he’s seen his weight drop from 208 pounds to 195. Of his only year at KU, he said: “One thing I learned is that things don’t always go your way,” Selby said. “God made things happen for a reason. It wasn’t meant for me to have a great year, so maybe it was for me to rejuvenate myself. That’s the past, now I’m just worried about the present and the future.”

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Final Roy thought: He sweated 'crimson+blue' with us for 15yrs out of his life. He understood the hurt feelings after he left, and has tried to acknowledge that with public statements (& who knows if he privately called ku players personally?). And finally, after getting trounced by Bill Self's Jayhawks (worst than he got beat by Self's Illini a few yrs prior...), Roy had the guts to wear a Jayhawk sticker in public during the Memphis game. I cant imagine how much patience or understanding UNC fansathletic dept had with that...but he did that for us, and I forever respect his trying.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Loved Roy when he was at KU. Should have won title in 03 (gave it away on FT line). Sad to learn of the not-recruiting-east-of-Mississippi. Like Self more. Complete basketball attempting to recruit & teach defense (harder than we thought), and also have a dedicated half-court offense (which I see pro teams run also)...and Self incorporated the transition offense that KU nation almost 'demanded' by cleverly telling his recruits& ku fans that "steals and rbnds lead to transition" runouts. Best example=08 guys, and we have been trying to get back to that since. Like Self's recruiting. Like Self's public demeanor/persona better also. Equal parts style, substance, and toughness. You dont call most Self teams "soft".

What no coach can know for certain is who will be a "ptp'er" in the big games/big lights of March??? Will it be Pierce, Haase, Boschee, Collison, Moody, Miles, Langford, Lee, Hinrich, Simien, Collins, Morris, Reed, RussRob, Rush, Chalmers, Aldrich, Arthur, etc, etc...You just never know (for sure) until it is crunchtime...

dynamitehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I think it's great that Roy is coming back to support a local course opening, and I hope that the fans who show up treat him with the dignity he deserves. Otherwise, I could give a $hit less about Carolina right now.

hawksfan08 2 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone been reading the stories about Selby and been wondering whether our weight programs have actually hurt our guards? They seem to have a positive effect on every big man that comes here but a negative effect on our guards. Both Selby and Henry appeared to lose all explosiveness after coming here. Another example is Collins, but that could be merely an eating issue. Chalmers lost his and didn't regain it until his junior year, and russell never developed any expolisveness. Rush is the only person who maintained his athleticism all the way through and he didn't gain weight.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Attention! Manunitedjhawk played D1 soccer......so he knows everything about college sports so everybody listen to him. He is right about everything!!!!

Yes.....D1 soccer......such a popular sport in the college level, isn't it? what do you get......about 4 people to show up and watch? How could college sports ever survive without soccer???

I bet you get a real tailgaiting crowd for your soccer games, eh? A real crowd scene. How is there ever enough parking?????

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey Manunitedjhawk-Why does almost every soccer player I have ever seen weigh about 120 lbs and look like a ballerina? I guess the wimps couldn't make the football team.

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Manunitedjhawk is having a tantrum and foaming at the mouth. Can anybody explain to Mr "D1 Soccer" that he only needs to click the 'post response' button once?

It's so easy to agitate some people......so easy.........and fun!!

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Irish Daddy and I may be the only true realists on this board. Of course.......we get attacked for finding the slightest fault with KU(not you,Oakvillejhawk-your posts are good....and funny).

But then.....I wonder why we are attacked with such venom. Could it be that we are hitting a sore point? Could it be that you realize KU's problems too but wont admit it? Could it be that you are in denial?

I doubt you would attack us otherwise. You know KU is currently(I said currently) not competitive on a national level. You know changes need to come. You just don't like hearing it.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

If I was a Debate Master or, as we say in Missouri, a Master Debator, I would set up a tournament pitting two teams:

On the PRO's, I would list Jaybate, kushaw, ralster, HighEliteMajor and drgnslayr.

On the ANTI's, I would list theend, IrishDaddy,ahpersecoachingexperience, soobawls and anthonyzal.

The Battle would be Epic. It would be:

The Glass Half Fulls vs The Glass Half Empties The Uppers vs The Downers. The Dare to Dreams vs the Get a Grip on Realities. The High Roaders vs The Low Roaders. The Lincolns vs The Douglases. The Friday Afternoons vs The Monday Mornings The Crimsons vs The Blues The Ever Hopefuls vs The Sadder But Wisers. The Get A Clues vs The Get A Lifes. The JHawks Who Enjoy Hawk Ball vs JHawks Who Enjoy Dissing Hawk Ball.

We could sell out Allen!! We could sell out Memorial!! We could sell out Arrowhead!!

If I have offended any of the ten individuals above, please show mercy and consider this the musings of a prisoner of Friday afternoon.

PS I already know I have offended Lewbowski because I have once again left him off my lists!!

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Selby was an absolute,collosal failure. He was not mediocre......he was awful.

But I don't really blame anybody for that.....including Selby.

It's a roll of the dice........But I do know I will never again listen to any "expert" that ranks these recruits. It obviously means nothing.

manunitedjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like Josh Selby has used some of the negative comments some Kansas "fans" made about his decision to turn pro as fuel to his fire.

A little artilce by Chad Ford on ESPNInsider.

Last year I was wowed by the play of Avery Bradley and Lance Stephenson at Impact. Both Bradley and Stephenson were high school phenoms and lottery-type talents who struggled as college freshmen in their respective programs.

"This year Impact has a similar player -- Kansas Jayhawks guard Josh Selby. Like Stephenson, he was considered one of the top five high school players in the country. Like Stephenson, he really struggled as a freshman. And like Stephenson, NBA teams have questions about his character.

Selby was, in a word, awesome in the workouts I saw in Vegas. At Kansas, Selby looked wild, out of control and oddly unathletic. He struggled to create space from himself and made a number of bad decisions with the ball and in his shot selection.

In Vegas he once again resembled the superstar we saw in high school. He was explosive athletically, got to the basket at will and shot the ball very well from range.

In 3-on-3 games, the UCLA Bruins' Malcolm Lee -- a terrific perimeter defender -- struggled to stay in front of Selby, who finished above the rim with a number of impressive dunks. Selby showed off an impressive floater and has the ability to create space with his crossover and then step back and nail the J. He really resembled Golden State Warriors guard Monta Ellis.

So how could Selby be so good here and so mediocre at Kansas? ESPN Insider David Thorpe had an excellent post concerning Selby in late January that sums up the thinking from a scout's perspective."

theend 2 years, 11 months ago

Kansas cannot compete on a national level ....as evidenced in NCAA performances over the last 10 years. Next year.....this will be very apparent as they will lose by double digits against truw national powers UK and Duke. Yet.....there is hope. Becuase will will expose KU so badly......many will start to realize massive changes are needed. It's not good enough to beat Iowa State and Oklahoma.....we need massive changes.

All of you rah-rah KU fans need to wake up. it's not just bad luck that Kansas keeps losing in March. You need to read Jesse Newells article written 2 days after the most recent debacle .....all the stats are there to prove my point.

This team is not capaable of winning on a national level.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 11 months ago

yeah roy had some of the best d*mn teams that ive ever seen at kansas, shame he couldnt win it all here. Its not like he just jumped at north carolina tho, i appreciate that he stayed here when he could have went earlier on. Roy didnt leave because he thought there was an "upgrade" or better program out there, he never would have left for ucla, indiana, etc just like justinryman was saying.

KPOP 2 years, 11 months ago

get over Roy. Let it go. He was a great coach and he took another job. Doesn't diminish what he accomplished at KU. The man was a fantastic coach and a great steward of the program. THANK YOU Roy Williams and welcome to Mayetta KS, its a pleasure to have you in Kansas again.

lionhawkward 2 years, 11 months ago

lama 2 years, 11 months ago

Would be nice to see KU bring back Roy to honor some of his teams. He was a great coach for 15 years and loves KU. It would be great for KU, Roy and all the players from that era.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 11 months ago

Mayetta..... Near my home town, north of Topeka. So, is this part of the reservation or the casino resort on the reservation?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Is there anyone that tries harder to have his cake and eat than Roy?!?!?

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

"Josh Selby, in an interview with Yahoo!Sports, says after weeks of three-a-day workouts in Las Vegas he’s seen his weight drop from 208 pounds to 195."

I bet he is much improved. Definitely quicker. I was disappointed that he put weight on when coming to campus. That was his biggest mistake as a Jayhawk, as it slowed him down enough to lose his advantage on penetration. He didn't put on "Hudy weight"... it was baby fat. Heard he likes sweets.

In that area, he reminded me of Sherron. Maybe we should discuss snacking habits with potential recruits and consider the consequences and choose wisely...

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

My first wife left me after 10 years. The last three years kind of sucked, but the first seven years were filled with much happiness. A bad ending cannot totally wipeout the good that came of a relationship.

I will admit, however, it would have been harder "to forgive and forget" had Kansas failed to get a coach of Bill Self's caliber and we were spinning our wheels in mediocrity.

My second wife died of brain cancer and I almost died two months ago. Life is too precious and too friggin' short to carry anger and resentment around. Let it go and enjoy each day like it would be your last......you never know...it may be!!

Brett Forreal 2 years, 11 months ago

Roy was Dean's little puppet. Can't upset Dean......Can't recruit East past the Mississippi River. No never ever...... I'm for one glad he left, and wished he would have left earlier after we got Self; who did what Roy did and even more. The guy couldn't even win a NC with Pierce and LaFrenz(sp?).

timchuck69 2 years, 11 months ago

There is one person responsible for Roy leaving...Dean Smith. He pressured Roy into leaving his Alma Mater for UNC. Dean is the villian in this.

madamhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I work across the road at the casino and we are VERY excited to have both coaches come on Sunday. The Firekeeper is a beautiful course!!!

Re: Jayla-how did this situation become public? I didn't think that custody hearings were public record.

tcombs41 2 years, 11 months ago

Roy was great but i still feel like we got an upgrade getting Self after he left. The style of play that Self brought to KU is so much more entertaining to watch. Does anyone remember 2008, not the championship, but all the dunks that come out of the High-Low. It was awesome. And every Self era team has had glimpses of that. Check out this highlight reel of Self era players throwing down "crotch to the face" dunks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvqcn...

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 11 months ago

Totally agree on TRob and his sister. So what if he is a KU athlete none of this need to be public.

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 11 months ago

Why do we have to know TRob's personal business? In my opinion I don't think we need to be putting his personal life all over the website. If I was Robinson, I wouldn't want it on here!! Let's have a little class and respect for the young man.

Cal Bender 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for those positive posts about Roy and Bill. That's the true spirit of College Athletics!

Andrew Washington 2 years, 11 months ago

I want to wish both of them luck! I agree, it was amazing what roy did here and i still think that hes one of the best coaches ever. I still hear roy mentioning KU on radio interviews and he's a classy guy for sure.

Funhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Roy and Bill are like two parents who spoiled rotten their kids. :) May they have fun together on the golf course. They deserve it.

Janet Scott 2 years, 11 months ago

Without Roy's 15 years on Mt. Oread, KU basketball today could well be also-ran level. What he did in 1989 - 1993 (with '89 a painful year of probation), and later with Gooden, Hinrich and Colison was marvelous. Why the all the rancor? Absurd.

wysiwyg69 2 years, 11 months ago

Get over Roy leaving KU you losers. It goes to show everyone that reads your crap how much you really liked him when he was here.. He has every right to go where he wants to go. He has more class and gets respect from those who count, he probably laughs at people like you.

John Sheehan 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree with most on here...Roy was great coach for us. Bill is great coach for us.

I appreciate all Roy did for Kansas and loved him while he was here.

Now that Self has a title I'm over Roy leaving. Plus Roy earned points for wearing the Jayhawk sticker in the NC game 48 hours after we crushed his team.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 11 months ago

Roy Williams is still part and parcel of the Jayhawk family. You nimrods need to get over it that he left KU. Everything worked out fine.

4jhawks4ku 2 years, 11 months ago

I thought he was tarheel dead. Hope he's not makin a little side trip down to Wichita.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't beat him too bad Coach, I've seen enough of his tears to last a lifetime.

BigAl 2 years, 11 months ago

After you smoke him, go ahead and buy him a Coke.

Brett Forreal 2 years, 11 months ago

Smoke his UNC ass Coach Self! Kinda like we did in '08.

Ashtin Meerpohl 2 years, 11 months ago

I will be working that day at Firekeeper. I cant wait. Its a great golf course. REALLY beautiful!

justinryman 2 years, 11 months ago

I would like to volunteer to be a caddy in that group.

Andrew Dunlap 2 years, 11 months ago

how nice. Ol Roy is still part of the family.