Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jayhawks, Yellow Jackets to kick off at 11:30 a.m. central time on Sept. 17

Kansas running back James Sims, center, avoids a tackle as he charges up-field against the Georgia Tech defense. Sims rushed for 101 yards in his collegiate debut Saturday, helping KU stun the Yellow Jackets, 28-25, at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University football officials announced Wednesday that the game time for KU's third game of the 2011 season, at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, has been set for 11:30 a.m. central time.

The game will be played at Bobby Dodd Stadium and will be broadcast by the ACC’s Regional Sports Network.

The Jayhawks, who open the season with back-to-back home games against McNeese State and Northern Illinois, will travel south looking to knock off the Yellow Jackets for the second consecutive season.

Last year, after dropping its season opener to FCS foe North Dakota State at home, KU stunned then-No. 15 Georgia Tech, 28-25, in what went down as the Jayhawks' signature victory in an otherwise forgettable 3-9 season.

Red-shirt freshman QB Jordan Webb threw for 179 yards and 3 TDs in his first collegiate start and freshman running back James Sims ran for 101 yards and a TD on 17 carries, making him the first true freshman in KU history to rush for 100 yards in his debut.

The victory against GT also featured one of the season's top offensive highlights, as wide receiver Daymond Patterson took a five-yard pass from Webb and pin-balled his way to a 32-yard touchdown, finished with a head-first dive into the end zone, that proved to be the difference.

Comments

kusportsdotcom 3 years, 7 months ago

Tait, I always hate to play grammar police on you, but I can't help it. You're a professional...

"Though both programs will bring much different teams into this year's match-up, it figures to be a key, early-season contest for both squads."

The comma between "key" and "early-season" should not be there. As it stands, you're asserting that it is a key contest, as well as an early-season contest. The latter is completely unnecessary to state. You should have said "a key early-season contest".

odc213 3 years, 7 months ago

grow, up, really, is, that, all, you, have, to, do, tonight?

actorman 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm with kusportsdotcom on this one. There's nothing wrong with pointing out a mistake to someone who's a pro.

On the other hand, I will admit that it does remind me of the old joke about the guy who approaches a man at Harvard and says, "Excuse me, can you tell me where the administration building is at?" The Harvard man responds, "Young man, you're at Harvard. And at Harvard, we don't end sentences with prepositions," to which the first guy answers, "I'm sorry. Can you tell me where the administration building is at, a**hole?"

odc213 3 years, 7 months ago

that's exactly what i am saying to kusportsdotcom. Thanks. Grammar police is his or her new name. GP

Jayhawk444 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree it's OK to call out professionals on their mistakes. But I would send him a private message rather than tossing out a public reprimand (and that is out of courtesy to the writer, not out of fear of backlash from the grammar police police)

Funhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

The comma that killed the sportswriter’s career.

Oops, the previous sentence is not a sentence.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

OMG. Or is that o,mG? Or O.M.G! Or OmG? I'm so confused.

David Meredith 3 years, 7 months ago

ACC regional sports network? Hmm, doesn't sound like that will be on a regular cable system.....

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

Anyone have a link?

Oh, just getting ready for the in game comments.

actorman 3 years, 7 months ago

Why do I have this nagging feeling that this will be yet another in the long line of opportunities KU has had over the years to embarrass themselves on television? It would be scary enough if KU hadn't beaten GT last year, but--as much as I hate to spout cliches--with a young team going into a hostile atmosphere against a team bent on revenge, this one could get ugly early.

Rivethead 3 years, 7 months ago

"in an otherwise forgettable 3-9 season".

I wish I could forget. I really do. But the rapings that Baylor and KSU gave us left permanent marks.

Jason Bailey 3 years, 7 months ago

Man, I'm frightened to even type a comment in fear of getting caned by some dude upset about my choice of words or positioning of a comma...anyway, here it goes...

If KU loses to McNeese week one, I honestly don't see how Gill keeps his job. He may limp through the season but I think that would be the nail in the coffin. A group of wealthy alumni, tired of KU being listed as #10 in a new Big 12 list of who's who will cough up money to help the Athletics dept buy out Gill. We have a very slim chance to go 3-9 this year with one of the most difficult schedules in all of BCS-level ball. Dropping the non-con games could get us a big goose egg in the "W" column by December 1.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 7 months ago

You state " with one of the most difficult schedules in all of BCS-level ball" doesn't that lend to Gill being given a chance? I mean looking at the schedule I am hoping we can make some games close. We may win 2-3 games but isn't that still progress? I mean we have only have 6 seniors listed as 1st on the depth chart. I think Gill will continue to recruit better talent and we will continue to make progress. I may be alone on an island but I sure hope our rich alums don't dig deep and find a way to buy him out. What message does that send to anyone else who wants the job? You sir have 2 seasons to get this cellar dweller to a bowl or will fire your *&@? No way he loses his job. No way anyone in their right mind expects a great season. I can't imagine any coach that could win would ever again have KU on their radar if we cut loose a guy who just arrived and after 1 full recruiting class, one that ranks in the top 35, gets canned. God help us if he is fired we'll be at #10 for a long long time!

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

The alumni and students at KU really don't give a crap about football or any other sport besides men's basketball. Outside of the men's basketball team, what other program even competes for conference titles on a regular basis? Football hasn't won a conference title since 1968, women's basketball hasn't won a conference title since 1997, baseball won in the Big 12 tournament in 2006 which was their first conference title since 1949. KU has won a total 5 Big 12 titles outside of men's basketball since the inception of the Big 12 which is just pathetic.

Given his football background, I really hope Sheahon Zenger commits to really upgrading Memorial Stadium more than just adding some more luxury boxes. Memorial Stadium is now going to be the only FBS stadium that still has a track around the field. I honestly believe that this could be a significantly improved team this year for Gill and KU could still only win 2-3 games next season. The Big 12 is going to be a brutal conference next season with 5 teams that have a realistic shot at competing for the Big 12 title.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

It's that attitude among most of the fanbase that ensures Memorial Stadium will remain a subpar stadium to play football in. Yes there was millions of dollars spent to upgrade team facilities to try in bring in better recruits, but now the next step is improve the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium for the fans so that they will want to hang out at the stadium on gamedays as opposed to leaving at halftime in most cases. Improving the atmosphere at the stadium is something that has to be proactive instead of reactive because if the athletic department takes a reactive approach to improving the stadium, there will never be enough long term support among the alumni base to do so. The athletic department just needs to spend the money to renovate the stadium to give it a more modern feel and people should want to come to the stadium more to enjoy the atmosphere regardless of team performance.

Ashtin Meerpohl 3 years, 7 months ago

Thats actually a false statement. Im a current KU student and i love KU football. I hope it gets better but i was there for the whole time every game last year. At least I can say I witnessed the comeback against CU. lol

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

I did not accuse all students or fans of bailing out early of KU games, but you better than most should know that the student section tends to get progressively smaller as the game goes along almost regardless of how the game is going. During my two years at KU (2008 and 2009 seasons), it was very common for the student section to be full at the beginning of the game and be about half empty when the second half kicked off because a lot of students would leave to go get drunk elsewhere. The only game I ever bailed out early on was the Texas Tech game in 2008 and I left with about 5 minutes left in that game because I had to go to KC that day.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 7 months ago

Guys, just, visualize, excellence.

Remember; new, coach, new, players, new, team,

When, you, put, it, all, together, we're, just, gonna, believe.

Think, positively, and, everything, will, be, OK.

Also; score, a, lot, of, points, while, keeping, the, other, team, from, scoring.

John Mueller 3 years, 7 months ago

phoggin,

There's only one way to get sh^t out of a barn.

You gotta put your boots on and go shovel it.

Happy thoughts and gum drops just isn't going to get it done.

If this years team is better prepared and out plays the other teams and still only wins 3 or 4 games, Gill will get one more season and probably deserves it.

But, If he demonstrates another year of ill prepared, poor special teams, poor clock management and poor game plans, and lays a 3 and whatever season, it's time to start shoveling.

This was a bad hire. Everybody knows it was a bad hire.

He deserves this year to demonstrate that he can coach and WIN "You play to win the game".

But, if not, he needs to go.

Btw, I am told that those in attendance of the spring game were asked to recite some sort of "No alchohol" pledge?

That is nothing short of ridiculous.

If he wants to impose a code of conduct on this players, that is well within his right to do so, but to ask the alumni and students to sign on to his pledge is totally inappropriate and completely out of line.

KGphoto 3 years, 7 months ago

"This was a bad hire. Everybody knows it was a bad hire."

By "Everybody" you mean you and ahperse?

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 7 months ago

springtxhawk,

Are you calling Coach Gill "Sh^t"??

He seems like a class-act to me.

number1jayhawker 3 years, 7 months ago

You admit you weren't at the spring game, but yet you complain about a pledge by HCTG?

Daymond Patterson was asking fellow students under the age of 21 to join him, in the no alcohol pledge.

HCTG asked the parents to pledge their help. Really not a big deal.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

Unless you are a recruit and hear about all of gills stupid rules!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

Holy crap! I had forgotten about the no alcohol pledge! He did it again!!! Someone please please please post video of this.

How about this, Turner sticks to coaching football, and we will make our own choices about alcohol!!!

hailtoku 3 years, 7 months ago

What day would they get down there? I'd imagine they would want to get down there earlier to adjust to the time difference.

troutsee 3 years, 7 months ago

I am definitely not a religious person. However, I think it is wrong to ridicule someone who is religious.

Regarding Gill's rules, everyone is entitiled to his opinion. At this point, his rules do not seem to have been detrimental to recruiting. Who knows, his "ridiculous" rules might lead to team cohesiveness, and that would be a good thing.

Regarding Gill's coaching abilities, school is still out. There are those who seem to expect too much too soon, especially considering the lack of athletism at the most critical position on the team....QB. However, I would certainly agree that the team seemed unprepared to play in the majority of the games last year. At the same time, it takes more than one year to build a winner.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 7 months ago

I wish gill was a snake worshiper. Imagine everyone lining up at halftime to kiss a venomus snake. Awesome!

Brandon Avey 3 years, 7 months ago

I live in South Carolina and purchased tickets for this game two months ago when they were first released. It is the closest I have been able to go to one of their games so win, lose, or draw I'll be there waving the wheat!! Rock Chalk!

kujayhox 3 years, 7 months ago

i am in south korea, so i dont think ill be able to watch this one, lol