Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recruit Trevor Lacey through visiting

Basketball guard to make choice on May 18

Trevor Lacey, a 6-foot-3 senior combo guard from Huntsville (Ala.) Butler High who completed an official basketball recruiting visit to Kansas University on Monday, will not make any more trips to schools, Lacey’s dad told Rivals.com on Monday.

Lacey, Rivals.com’s No. 24-rated player who averaged 31.4 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.1 steals and 2.6 assists a game this past season, will choose either KU, Kentucky, Alabama or Auburn at a 2 p.m. news conference on May 18 at his high school. He had considered visiting UConn and/or North Carolina State.

“The visit was unbelievable and we had a great time. The thing that stood out most about the visit is how comfortable Trevor is with the players. The coaching staff is great and it was everything you look for in recruitment,” Lacey’s dad, William Pride, told Rivals.com.

Traylor to visit Tech

KU target Jamari Traylor, a 6-7, 220-pound senior power forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., will visit Texas Tech before making a final decision, Traylor’s high school coach told Rivals.com. Traylor has visited KU, Indiana and Oklahoma State. May 18 is the final day of the spring signing period.

KU also is awaiting word from DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 forward from IMG Academies who is down to KU, Duke and Texas. He has set no date for his final decision, but many analysts assume it’ll be announced on May 18.

Twins update

ESPN’s Chad Ford, who watched KU’s Marcus and Markieff Morris work out last Friday in Florida, projects Marcus in the Nos. 5-15 range in the June draft. He projects Markieff in the 7-17 range.

KU is ranked No. 18 in the country in ESPN reporter Andy Katz’s current preseason top 25, released Monday. North Carolina, Kentucky and Ohio State are ranked Nos. 1-3. The only Big 12 team ahead of KU is Baylor at No. 16. Texas A&M is 20 and Missouri 22.

Comments

topcityjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Come on down..... Trevor Lacey you are the next Great thing for KU Basketball!!! As long as we get you and Daniels, we should be pretty decent. Rock Chalk baby!

Ego4547 3 years, 2 months ago

Trevor Lacey is exactly what we need, someone that can take over only if Self plays him right. I believe that is what we lacked this last season. On another note, We need a big man maybe ever bigger than Daniels; Jeff Withey needs to step up this year. Hopefully Manning has been working with him. Rock Chalk all day, everyday

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

It all sounds too "ROSY" for anything good to come out of it ..............

Ok, that was my usual pessimistic side coming out !!

jhox 3 years, 2 months ago

One thing about it, if you're a pessimist, you're seldom disappointed.

psychoanalyst 3 years, 2 months ago

And you rarely enjoy things to the fullest either

KU_alum_2001 3 years, 2 months ago

Except in March. Trust me, even when I fear an early KU loss every March (year after year), I still find myself heartbroken. Funny how that works.

SoCalAlum 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe he'll do that hat thing we all love so much.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 2 months ago

That's the first thought that popped into my mind. LOL

JayDocMD 3 years, 2 months ago

Already sounds like the hat crap is a done deal according to Alabama sports writer Cecil Hurt's Twitter post: "Trevor Lacey tells Rivals he 'probably won't know' about college choice until he 'picks that hat up' on May 18."

Chris Bruning 3 years, 2 months ago

I think we are a longshot for Lacey and Daniels, doesn't matter to me though, you bet your ass ill be at late night and atleast three games just like every other year.......RCJH!!!!!!

KUsmoothies 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds promising but I think with the core guys we have coming back we will still have a great year. TRob is going to be a beast, maybe even big 12 player of the year, plus Taylor is going to be one of the best guards in the country, not to mention the rest of the guys coming back are all going to be great players and hard workers. I think Withey is going to really surprise some people. If we get these recruits thats awesome but if we don't we will still be one of the best teams in the country and have a great opportunity for an amazing recruiting class 2012.

bennybob 3 years, 2 months ago

could you define "best guards in the country"?

because there is no way tyshawn is top 10 next year, maybe top 20.....maybe

HawkKlaw 3 years, 2 months ago

TT may not be one of the best guards in the country based on his stats, but when he is facilitating the offense KU tends to rack up the points. TRob will be the team leader, but as TT goes, so goes KU.

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

So I should be surprised when WITHEY sits a couple of seats closer on the bench to HCBS ?!

selfishhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

You need to look at the roster for next year! Who plays in front of Withey?

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

Good point, but at this point any one over 6-6 has a chance before Withey. He needs about 40 more lbs., a lot of work on his stamina, and to show HCBS that he can play extended minutes. From what I saw this year coach had multiple opportunities to get Withey extended mintues and failed to do so.

As many Withey lovers as there are out here, I have to believe that his whole family posts on this forum ..............

Corey Shideler 3 years, 2 months ago

Withey may not be Cole but he has height, shot blocking ability, and lots of mobility for a 7 footer. And for the record, if he gained 40 pounds, he would be around 275. Cole was 250 soaking wet. He needs to put on 10-15 pounds this summer and stay healthy. If that happens, he will log some major minutes next season.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

With Brandon Knight staying in the draft, my instincts tell me Lacey is headed to Lexington. I hope it's just years of being a Cubs fan that makes me assume the worst, but that's what my feeling is...

Also, "...Texas A&M is 20..."

I'm guessing Chad Ford made this list before tonight.... think that ranking will remain that way with Turg headed to Maryland? I'm guessing no....

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

"I'm guessing Chad Ford..."

Woops, meant Andy Katz... flipped around my pseudo-experts....

Andy Hess 3 years, 2 months ago

Lacey is a shooting guard, while Knight is a PG. Knight's departure probably didn't have as much impact as Liggins staying in the draft, though Doron Lamb is going to hold down the 2-spot for the forseeable future.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Right, I understand that, but it clearly opens up general "guard" time at Kentucky. I have no doubt that Knight's departure opens up significant minutes for Lacey.

Again, hopefully I'm just assuming the worst.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 2 months ago

You must also remember they are bringing in the # 1 pg out of HS (Teague) who is rated higher than Lacey and then they also have Lamb who will likely start at the 2, add to that they are also bringing in the # 26 rated player in combo guard Kabongo, and I say we have just as good as a chance at Lacey as does UK. Im thinking Lacey has a better shot at starting at KU, but thats just my opinion.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I certainly hope you are right. Like I said, I have a cloud of negativism that generally surrounds me about these things. Lacey commits, maybe that lifts a bit... :)

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Every time recruiting discussions turn to how easy it will be to get playing time, I have to wonder whether KU really needs the kind of player who wants another year of things being made EASY for them.

When it is the fans (KU or other) who focus on this aspect, I am pretty sure they are more interested in bragging about "my" school's recruit ranking because it's far EASIER than judging who has the character to face up and overcome the adversity everyone encounters on the way to where they want to be. Not sure we really need them in the fan base, either.

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like a great visit from Lacey, which I'm sure they all are. I just hope he knows the opportunity he has playing for the best college, best coach, and best fans in America! I have to give it to Daniels, he has been really low key in the last few weeks. It is really hard to find anything out on him! I would be more shocked if he picked KU over the Blue Devils though. I Really hope he realizes the opportunity like Lacey also. It is going to be a fun year, I think we play at our best when we are not top ranked in the country IMO. It always seems like we do so much better against better teams. I think a big part is because we have such athletic kids that are always looking for reasons to get juiced for big games!

KU1965 3 years, 2 months ago

Good video, but I'd suggest muting the music!

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

Baylor is the highest ranked team in the Big 12 next season. Yeah...if they win the conference, even they will be stunned. Come on.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. They'll wet the bed just like Texas has the last few years.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Texas may have gotten the break they needed to become an actual threat to win the conference – no more trips to Lincoln or Boulder!

Having Baylor touted as pre-season favorite gives every coach from Ames to Austin the incentive to "prove it isn't so!"

JJHAWK 3 years, 2 months ago

I think Lacey would be the biggest 'get'. Strong outside shooting with good ball handling - you can't have enough of. If he can shoot it like prior articles and a 30 ppg average suggest would make next years team very dangerous.

The one question I haven't heard addressed . . . can he play D?

ClydeTurnbuckle 3 years, 2 months ago

He does have a nice frame, but he's not especially quick. Don't expect him to be a gifted defender.

xfitter 3 years, 2 months ago

You realize that "quickness" can be taught and trained right? Saying that someone, isn't the quickest and not to expect great D, coming out of high school before they fully mature or had top notch strength coaches work with them is ignorant. Quickness is worked and built on with all the players, just like speed and strength is. Don't write him off, obviously he has the talent and work ethic.

JJHAWK 3 years, 2 months ago

Lacey would be our biggest "get". Dangerous and dependable outside shooting might make the difference between an also ran and winning the big 12 again. Plus increase our odds for a deep run in the tournament.

Question I haven't heard addressed . . . can he play D?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

UK Hoops = ethical questions?

tdub 3 years, 2 months ago

The ACC??? Do you actually watch college basketball?

hawken 3 years, 2 months ago

You need to read your own references. The ACC RPI rankings have been way down the last couple of years and the Big 12 averages a higher RPI over the last 4 years. In fact, over the last 4 years, the big 12 has the highest RPI rankings in college basketball.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

UK = hire a coach that played ineligible players and lost ring to KU?

brcook99 3 years, 2 months ago

Hahaha, another KU imposter on the KUSports.com messaging board. Yes the Big East has been good the past 5 years or so ... but if the Big 12 had 16 basketball teams (about to be more also) we would have more in the top 25 too.

Playing in the Big 12 you will typically play 5 ranked teams IN THE CONFERENCE. Playing at KU you will play a non-con schedule with the likes of UCLA, Arizona, Kentucky, Michigan St, Michigan, Memphis, pretty much every year .... so don't try and say the Big 12 doesn't play the best teams in the country.

JayhawkBigXII 3 years, 2 months ago

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

Does Notre Dame have a basketball team?

coolbjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Irishdaddy ku finished no1 in that ranking

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

UK Hoops = Reading is fundamental?

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 2 months ago

UK Hoops= Bobby Knight gritting his teeth!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Not being pessimistic just realistic but I feel that who we have on the roster now is just about all we're going to get [maybe Nino Jackson and/or Traylor] but Katz's 18th ranking is a recognition of a solid core.

Keys to 2011-2012: 1] Tyshawn continues to grow and mature. 2] Elijah let's his athleticism explode on the court. 3] TRob stays in "monster mode". 4] BenMac cuts down the dishes and increases the swishes. 5] Jeff surprises us all. 6] Travis moves up to the next level. 7] Nadiir is truly as good as his rep indicates. 8] Justin truly has "Langford-like" game in his genes. 9] Braedon can give five hard fouls every game and protect TRob. 10]Conner has a good shooting day and a good hair day every game!!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 2 months ago

The pessimistic reply:

1) It's about time, he's a senior. 2) Will Self let his athleticism explode? 3) Foul trouble with nothing behind him is achilles' heel. 4) Don't bank on a huge freshman impact .. likely X-like at best. 5) Does that mean he scores 7 per game, with 5 boards? 6) Does that mean Self plays him 20 minutes a game? 7) And his 80s ranking ... 8) Does that mean he'll take bad shots at the end of the game? 9) How does he stop TRob from fouling? 10) But can he guard anyone?

I don't know, I think I like your optimistic view better ... and ranked 18th isn't all bad to start.

KU_alum_2001 3 years, 2 months ago

Ha ha... a rather humorous response. Pessimistic but funny. I award you 1 point.

ku1otaku 3 years, 2 months ago

If Ben McLemore has an "X-Like" freshmen year and that is you being pessimistic than I wonder what your optimistic opinion is. What few fail to realize is that Xavier Henry actually had a decent freshmen year. The only disappointment (from what I recall) is the way it ended. The guy still averaged about 13 ppg. If Ben McLemore can do that, than I'd say that is pretty optimistic.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

It was only the unrealistic expectations of the fan base on X that had a disappointing year. It seems to me that because many thought he wasn't quite ready to go to the NBA yet that he did not contribute at KU. That is unfortunate revisionist history and untrue.

Just because the kid didn't have a Kevin Durant-like impact on our team doesn't mean he wasn't solid as a freshman.

Definitely agree with your post.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Comparing Zavvyaire to Durant brings to mind three points:

--- conference tourney wins,

May be that Beasley had more impact than either -- compare those teams' progress from the five years before to the five years after . . . Texas maintained runner-up status; K-state came from nowhere to somewhere; KU book is still open - with little room to show improvement.

cragarhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I would like to know what exactly would constitute "Jeff surprising all"? In all seriousness. What would be considered surprising from Jeff. Im not degrading him at all, but the fact is he just hasn't developed like I think we all hoped he would. I know he had some illness or something last season that obviously slowed or even stopped his progress. But, Im just wondering what some opinions are on what would be surprising. To me it would be just what HEM said. 7 points and 5 boards would be surprising to me. And it is possible, but is it going to be enough to be competitive on the level we want to be? I would be highly skeptical that it is.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

"Some Lesser Known Keys to 2011-2012:"

1] Tyshawn will have to call all plays in igPay Atin lay. 2] Elijah will have to correctly prophesy when he will throw a pass cross court to Self during a game, while leading the team in scoring. 3] TRob will not only have to be a go to guy inside, he will also, during time outs have to do an iron cross from rings suspended from the scoreboard, while the entire cheerleading team stands on his arms and does back flips to the floor. 4] BenMac will have to guard the other team's toughest perimeter scorer and also become the first Jayhawk to win a game with a trifecta taken from Daisy Hill. 5] Jeff Withey will have to become the first KU player from California to hang ten from the rim BEFORE jumping down to dunk the ball. 6] Travis Releford has to master the wind mill free throw in which he jumps 59 vertical inches, throws the ball at the back board so hard that it spiders and then back spins down into the rim for a made free throw. 7] Nadiir "The Tarp" Tharpe, so nicknamed for the way he completely covers defenders, has to take a ballet class and co-star with Natalie Portman in a sequel to The Black Swan, called The Crimson and Blue Swan, in which a deranged prima ballerina is saved from madness by performing on toe with the mythical Jayhawk in the little know ballet within a ballet version of William Inge's "Splendor in the Grass" called "The Glory in the Flower by Potter's Lake." Nadiir has to play the role of The Jayhawk, while giving 15 solid minutes of point guard back-up. 8] Justin has walk onto Naismith court for warm-ups before Texas and KSU and "hulk-out" of his top, as the crowd chants "David Banner, David Banner!" 9] Braedon must simultaneously explain the advantages of Labatt's over Coors, and show Danny Manning that he can guide cutters into the lane with a curling broom. 10] Conner must achieve total hair control in an overtime. 11] Oak must show that he has recovered from gutt surgery by having at least two KU offensive tackles stand one-footed on his abdomen.

(All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

"Some Lesser Known Keys to 2011-2012:"

(All fiction. No malice.)

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

11] I've made my way up to my 7 year old and 5 year old nieces. Is it a guarantee that two KU offensive linemen will be a challenge upgrade!! :)

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

Am I to be blamed for the pessimistic approach to several replies ? Ha, unlikely as KU in the big dance has given us all reason to be pessimistic over the past several seasons. I for one hate the HAT game, as I have bad memories and don't remember one hat falling our way .........

As for next year, we truly need more BIGS ! At this point a quality JUCO big would be a good find to fill a glaring hole.

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

18 rank quite decent for the start of another season. If we sign Lacey or Daniels, we could jump to 15. Sign both and maybe a preseason 12. I look to see another significant recruit appear before September. Frazzled old Dick Vitale had best remember his conceding edict: Big 12 title must go through Kansas!

lrahardja 3 years, 2 months ago

Trevor has great jumpers,from the perimeter, great fit with KU offense, he will get minutes where Tyrel left. Come on down!!!

kushaw 3 years, 2 months ago

According to the shiver, KU is putting some feelers out towards Nick Faust (One time Maryland early commit). I wouldn't read anything into it in regards to Lacey and DD. We won't know for sure about Lacey and DD until they actually commit somewhere on the 18th so no need to speculate unless something leaks out from their camps, but I doubt that won't happen until at least the 17th or the morning of the 18th.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

"Some Lesser Known Keys to 2011-2012:"

(All fiction. No malice.)

KUsmoothies 3 years, 2 months ago

Why do you spend so much time on a message board for a team that you don't like and don't view as a top program? Why waste sooooo much of your time? Because seriously out of all the ppl that are on this board you probably are on here the most. Just curious why aren't you commenting on a Duke or North Carolina board? And if you're from the state of KS, why are you choosing KU? Why not WSU or Kstate? For a team you have such negative views against, you sure do spend a lot of time following the program. You must really have no life.

KUsmoothies 3 years, 2 months ago

Just curious, no malice intended good sir.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

You are here to "improve the program"?! Yeah...do you know what delusions of grandeur are, Narcissus?

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

Now THAT is the kind of player the ACC could use!

HawkKlaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Good ol' pointless preseason rankings. Wasn't KSU ranked no. 3 to start the season this year? That turned out to be pretty accurate lol. Forgive me for completely disregarding preseason rankings. They're sort of like NFL draft rankings by Mel Kiper; 100% meaningless.

kushaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Saw another poster just post this about DeAndre Daniels on twitter. I never trust twitter, but interesting nonetheless.

drwho127 3 years, 2 months ago

Kushaw..I do not know where he gets his sources, but it is interesting to see all his tweets he has made. lol.

kushaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, this guy has changed his story a couple of times. He keeps backpedaling and retracting former statements trying to cover his own behind.

I don't believe much of any of it, but it does talk about KU. Take it with a cautious grain of salt. As I said earlier, unless something concrete leaks out a couple of days before the 18th out of Lacey's or DD's camp, we won't know for sure about either one of these recruits decision until that time. I wish it was here so we could at least know where KU's fate stands.

Joe Baker 3 years, 2 months ago

So...he knows about as much as we do. He doesn't seem to know squat about anything.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

It isn't Twitter you can't trust. Rather, it is the legions of simpletons who think they can make sense without saying anything.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Ten Ways to convince Deandre to come to kansas.

1] Kansas actually has a real basketball coach unlike Texas. 2] Never go to a school whose name rhymes with "Puke'. 3] Kansas BBQ is better than Texan or Carolina BBQ. 4] Orange is a wimpy color. 5] All the students at Duke are named either Todd or Barbie. 6] The Duke Blue Devils is a school for...oh, I don't know.....SATAN!!!!!!! 7] No one would have a higher ranking at Kansas. 8] Playing time, playing time, playing time......did I mention playing time?? 9] KU a real pipiline of NBA recruits. 10] Bring your Mom...everybody else does. :)

100 3 years, 2 months ago

Good stuff Oak.

Also...

Out of the seven remaining NBA teams, number of school's players left in the NBA playoffs:

Duke: ?

Kentucky: ?

Texas: 1

Kansas: 7

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

Who is a Texas Kid still playing ? I can't place one.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

This interested me for some reason, so I looked it up.

Duke: (3) Carlos Boozer (Bulls), Luol Deng (Bulls), Shane Battier (Mem)

Kentucky: (4) Keith Bogans (Bulls), Rajon Rondo (Celts), Nazr Mohammed (OKC), Jamaal Magloire (Heat)

Texas: (4) Kevin Durant (OKC), Royal Ivey (OKC), Dexter Pittman (Heat), Avery Bradley (Celts)

Kansas: (7) Chalmers, Pierce, Aldrich, Collison, Arthur, Xavier, Hinrich

dmb40fan 3 years, 2 months ago

I think you listing is very misleading. There is a huge difference between sitting on the bench, in street clothes vs. actually getting playing time. Duke - Boozer (starter) - Deng (starter) - Battier (off bench) Texas - Durant (Scoring Champ) - really how do you forget him - Bradley - Celtics - Pittman - Heat - Ivey (Thunder) Kentucky (3) - Rondo starts - Bogans - chicago - Magglore - Thunder

KU players that don't even dress - Cole, Xavier, Hinrick

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm not misleading anything. 100 said 7 KU players are with teams still in the playoffs. I listed all 7 he was talking about (whether they play or not), and, to make it fair, listed everyone from the other 3 schools (whether they play or not).

It's a balanced list telling every player on the roster from those respective schools, which is what 100 was talking about.

Oh... and saying Hinrich doesn't dress is VERY misleading. He is injured, not a bench guy that didn't make the playoff roster. He was a significant player for the Hawks before he went down.

Follow your own advice please.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Just realized your post was in response to 100. My apologies.

The point on Hinrich is still valid, though. He is injured; he isn't "not dressing."

kushaw 3 years, 2 months ago

Duke: Boozer, Deng, Battier

Kentucky: Bogans, Rondo, Magloire, Mohammed

Krohnutz 3 years, 2 months ago

You can't count Boozer. He doesn't "play" in the NBA, he merely is on the court and at times moving around.

I put forth this debate in my roundtable: Carlos Boozer is disliked by more former teams (wholeheartedly, not half-assed sort of 'don't like him') then any other NBA player.

Cleveland, Utah, Chicago. He's batting 1.000, now that takes effort. He screwed over every franchise. What a guy.

Only one I can think of that comes close is Vince Carter, and I argue he is merely disappointing to Orlando; only Toronto truly hates him.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Booooooooooo-zer even has his own cheer in Chicago....

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

Only 1 from Texas?

LaMarcus Aldridge Daniel Gibson D.J. Augustin Kevin Durant Maurice Evans T.J. Ford

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 2 months ago

I actually ran into the bball players at the Cave (in the Oread hotel) on Saturday night. The twins, Trob, Tyshawn, Mario & EJ were all there. Oh ya, Lacey was with them. I had a couple words with him. It seems like he likes KU A LOT!!! He's a solid player/person that will stick around for a couple years. We need Lacey and Daniels BIG TIME!!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

I just read on Rivals.com that Kansas is listed as #10 as far as the 2011-2012 National Title contenders goes. Behind, not in any order, North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, Louisville, Syracuse and Arizona.

This kind of recognition plus a preseason 18th ranking indicates this is may indeed a "reloading " year, not a "rebuilding" year.

If Trevor and Deandre show up, it could be a "redemption" year!!

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 2 months ago

Here's to hoping Jeff Withey is not on Ku's Website reading post! Instead he is in Russia training, like in Rocky 4, trecking through the snow and carrying logs. Hopefully he comes back with a Sausha Kahn frame!! I hope he is there right now in the mountains isolated in an old cabin with no heat, doing work!! All joking aside Withey I have faith in you, Kansas is known for developing the bigs! It is a known fact that our bigs get better, they have to. Please stay in Russia for a few months and come back with a hunger to be the best Withey you can be.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm hoping for this too! Great comment!

Kristopher Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

Trevor Lacey is the exact type of player we've lacked for the past few seasons. I know that sounds silly since we've had the best basketball team in the nation for the past five seasons. Easily. However, the last player we had who was a scorch-the-net shooting guard was Mario Chalmers. Following Chalmers, S. Collins is the only other pure/streaky shooter that we've had for more than one season (Henry would have been even better as a soph.). But Collins at point guard got worn down at times having to be the primary ball carrier, distributor, and scorer. If Lacey is as good of a shooter and scorer as he is projected to be he will be an amazing pick for any athletic teams: Kentucky, Kansas, even Alabama. It’s pretty damn hard to cover athletes and then guard a spot shooter as well. With our additions this year plus the hopes of a stellar class for the 2012 season (Perry Ellis?), we will be right back to championship form. Not necessarily winning them, but we should have a team capable of winning a game in April. Especially if we get a pure shooter such as Lacey seasoned for a couple of seasons. Not likely for the ’11-’12 campaign, but soon after. Lacey wants to go to a school where he can play immediately. Of course he’d have to earn it in practice first, but we can’t win if we can’t put the ball through the bucket. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to jump in and immediately contribute next year. We'll have Tyshawn as a senior PG (playing a season that will dictate if he plays for pay the following year), Thomas Robinson as a junior PF, Elijah at combo guard/backup PG, Releford, and the other freshman. There aren’t a lot of scorers on that list. We really need this guy or someone like him soon. I hope that it’s a good sign that he came here last and then decided he’d seen enough. I’m definitely going to be on the edge of my seat awaiting his decision.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

The best team in America is a deceiving monikor. Does anyone truly believe UConn and Butler where the two best teams in America that Monday night??

It's all about who'se the best team the last six games of the season. Just look at the 1988 Jayhawks.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

Does it matter? UConn = NCAA Champ

cragarhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Easily the best team for the last 5 years? Seriously? I would say that's more than highly misleading. Maybe that is why you are so negative about everything. You set yourself up for a fall every year by having unrealistic goals, and views about the team. And now after years of that type of attitude you have flipped and done a complete 180 and now there is nothing but negativity so that you can fell better when something good actually happens. I myself am quite pessimistic dude, but DAMN!!!

Kristopher Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

You can blame anyone you want. We were capable and didn't get it done. There are plenty of programs with high expectations every year as well. Everyone acts like we deserve to win or something. Calapari has yet to win a title, yet has a top rated recruiting class every single year. Do we want to brag about one-and-dones or have championship caliber teams? I'm for bringing in the right pieces and reloading. Sometimes that takes losing a bunch of guys and having a couple consecutive recruiting classes that fit the program well. If you look at the stats we've had the most dominant teams for a while now. So much so that we are completely spoiled. We fell short and broke hearts in the process, but we've been damn good.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

I think he was blown away by Kansas, has seen the light, will call Deandre and in a joint satellite broadcast, simultaneuosly don Kansas beak heads and start singing the Rock Chalk Chant!!!!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I believe there was a chance he would visit UConn and NC State, but has now decided not to. So, apparently, he is deciding between KU, UK, Bama or Auburn. I don't think he actually scheduled visits to those other two schools, so -- to answer your question -- I don't believe he cancelled visits. He just isn't making them.

That's my understanding anyway.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

I feel he was blown away by Kansas, will call his buddy Deandre and in a joint satellite broadcast each will don a Jayhawk Beak Hat and break into the Rock Chalk Chant!!!

jhawkr 3 years, 2 months ago

Damn, I am almost starting to feel your optimism ! Maybe posting twice helped ..........

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

It sounded so good, I had to post it twice!! :)

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounded so good, I posted twice!!

lee3022 3 years, 2 months ago

Post-season polls before even the signings are done are silly. These writers get us to read them and they are so very debatable because nobody really knows. Consider how badly the pollsters do just before the tournament every year and then take that exponentially to 10 more months in advance.

The only prediction that makes any sense is that KU will be Big XII league champions in MBB in 2011!

This report on Trevor Lacey is a good case in point. Should Trevor choose to take his talents to Lawrence the CBSSports.com poll will change KU from 11 to 6. That will be a nice bump for KU fans but an even better publicity bump for Trevor. Should he sign onto UK there will be no change (likely a bench player in the minds of the pollsters) an either Alabama or Arkansas and there will be a possibility that either team might get honorable mention at this point in the season.

For players who want to go to the NBA it is mostly about ability demonstrated on the floor but also about publicity. For the best teams. ability on the floor is more about fitting in and playing teamwork defense and offense. Those abilities are greatly enhanced by KU which emphasizes family and teamwork and teaches the concepts to produce same.

Nicholas Cederlind 3 years, 2 months ago

Trevor's dad seems to be coming from a place of trying to compliment KU's recruitment enough so that we don't feel too bad when we're not chosen. I don't doubt the genuine authenticity of Mr. Lacey's comments but people who've made up their minds on a school usually talk about how they fit into it, not how awesome their visit was. I think we are a close 2nd in the hunt for Trevor but i will hold out hope!! Ya never know what Self can pull off late!

John Sheehan 3 years, 2 months ago

For once I agree with you. When Mr. Manning and Mr. Chalmers and their sons joined our program it did work out very well. Both Coaches and Players left their mark on the program, to say the least.

RIP Ed Manning and Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Brian Powell 3 years, 2 months ago

lol preseason rankings. will they ever learn??

jayhawktalk 3 years, 2 months ago

@IrishDaddy - for a time, I was mildly amused by your posts. You carried the trolldom banner as what I would classify as a "happy" little troll, rather than the typical, bitter little troll taking shots motivated (usually obviously) by jealousy. That said, considering the frequency with which you post recently, I am developing a tolerance, and you are just too easy to ignore these days.

While I suspect you are an extremely confused and conflicted individual, closet KU fan, probably pleasuring yourself while clutching a Jayhawk stuffed animal at night, far be it from me to buy in to a codependent role; no more posts from me in your direction in the foreseeable future, and I would encourage the same approach by others contributing (please do not feed the trolls). Time for you to wrestle your own demons. Best of luck.