Thursday, May 5, 2011

Alabama prep to visit Kansas basketball

No. 24 Lacey eager to compare UK, KU

Blue-chip basketball prospect Trevor Lacey, who had spent the last 48 hours on an official recruiting visit to the University of Kentucky, returned to his tornado-ravaged home state of Alabama on Wednesday afternoon.

“The power was out for seven days. It came on just an hour ago,” Lacey, a 6-foot-3 senior shooting guard from Huntsville’s Butler High School, said in a phone interview Wednesday night from Huntsville.

“It (tornado) knocked a couple houses down in my city, but it wasn’t anything like Tuscaloosa (which had extensive damage).”

Weather concerns kept Lacey from making an official recruiting visit to Kansas University last weekend. He has rescheduled that trip for Saturday and Sunday and says he’s looking forward to seeing KU up close and personal so soon after checking out Lexington.

“I enjoyed it. It was great,” Lacey said of his visit to UK. “Just seeing how coach (John) Calipari is ... he’s passionate, always helping his players. He’s always on the go about them,” noted Lacey, Rivals.com’s No. 24-rated player who has a final list of KU, UK, Alabama, Auburn, North Carolina State and Connecticut.

Lacey, who averaged 31.2 points a game last season, said he’s “looking forward to getting to know coach (Bill) Self better this weekend. I met him one time. He seems like a cool guy.”

“Yes, sir,” he said. “That’s why I’m coming to visit.”

Lacey, who has also visited Alabama and Auburn, said he might visit either N.C. State or UConn prior to the May 18 conclusion of the spring signing period. He said he had no target date for his final decision.

Daniels update: No. 10-rated DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., will choose between KU, Duke and Texas after visiting with his father at IMG sometime before the end of the signing period.

“I love the overall atmosphere at Kansas,” Daniels told Rivals.com on Wednesday.

“I love everything about Duke,” he noted.

Of UT, he said: “I like the style of play and think I would fit in well with it.”

Ware lists KU: No. 70-rated Kevin Ware, a 6-4 senior guard from Rockdale County High in Conyers, Ga., has decommitted from Central Florida in the wake of ESPN’s extensive scrutiny of his recruitment.

Ware, who signed with Tennessee in November but asked out of his letter of intent after the firing of Bruce Pearl, plans to visit Georgia and Louisville, his dad told Rivals.com. Ware reported on Twitter that his list consists of KU, K-State, Georgia, UCLA and Louisville.

Dooley update: KU assistant coach Joe Dooley, who reportedly interviewed for the head-coaching job at George Washington University earlier this week, appears to be running neck-and-neck with Vermont coach Mike Lonergan for the job, ESPN’s Andy Katz reported.

“A number of sources close to George Washington, both inside and out of the A-10, expect the choice to replace Karl Hobbs to come down to Vermont head coach Mike Lonergan, who is in good with new AD Patrick Nero (the former America East commissioner), and Kansas assistant Joe Dooley, who played at GW and has plenty of booster support,” Katz wrote on ESPN.com.

Comments

Johnmadden2012 2 years, 7 months ago

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Irishdud, Why don't you quit using 'irish' in your name...people with that ancestry have been insulted enough already! What are you saying about UCLA--you list the years of Wooden's dominance ending in '75...that was 35+ yrs ago--explain that relevance in the modern era of college ball? Stupid 'Cat...pussy troll.

Explain your thoughts on coach K@ Duke, who didn't make a Final4 x 10yrs prior to last yr, and who couldn't even make it back to the Final4 even with Kyrie Irving? Come on...let's see if SewageDaddy can face his own logic. If you are down on Self, then you must be down on coach K...and to be calling out 2 nationally respected guys like Self+Kryciewsky cements you as the biggest idiot on this site! Come on, pussy...why don't you get a clue!

SoCalAlum 2 years, 11 months ago

B. Knight just announced he's staying in the draft, so PT at PG just opened up at UK...

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 11 months ago

Irish Daddy you are a clown! Put some makeup on your avatar and you will be close to what you really are.

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 11 months ago

Why so negative on KU Irish Daddy? If you are not a fan why even post on a Ku website? You are just waisting your time! You would probably be better off posting on a website that host your favorite team. Maybe a big least school would be better for you to post on.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

A basketball mecca?

UCLA has 10 NCAA championships in a 12 year span (64 - 75), thats 3 times more than ku has had in it's looooooong and glorious history.

Get a GRIP on REALITY kiddies.....................

AZHawk72 2 years, 11 months ago

The polls are closed, the ballots (L.O.I.s) have been cast, the final recruiting period is winding down...

...and yet we're still trolling along, cooler, tunes, and headphones at the ready, hoping someone will bite and help us bridge over troubled waters toward, what should be, a nice group from the 2012 class. I'd still rather have Traylor (don't call me "tractor" as that's already taken) and either Lacey or Daniels, but not both.

As a well-educated KU grad who happens to teach high school English--you can't humiliate or embarrass adults into language changes (kids--hell, yes!). You repeat their words in the correct form as part of your response. In time, they will recognize that they're the ones out of step and, on their own, will make the adjustment without enduring the taste of "humble pie."

So, yo: Lacey, Traylor, and Daniels--this is why you come to Kansas. A great education from motivated teachers along with a basketball mecca. I hope you guys took the time to read this.

redlegger 2 years, 11 months ago

I think I remember seeing something about IrishDaddy on the History Channel - yes that's right, he is credited for inventing the first condom from a sheep's intestine (his avatar holding his sheep-herding staff gave it away).

However, it was later improved upon by a Kansan, who removed the intestine before using it.

And yes IrishDaddy, I do realize your avatar is in fact William Claude Dukenfield (aka W.C. Fields), who is considered one of the great comedic geniuses of all time. I suppose if idiocy was funny, you too would be a comedic genius (just stating the facts, which you are always wanting to face)!

dynamitehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

“Just seeing how coach (John) Calipari is ... he’s passionate, always helping his players"

Yes. And if you cross him he will scream, "You selfish Mother F#$@er" in your (you're/UR??) face on national television, too.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 11 months ago

wow wissoxfan83. that was some lame shizznit right there.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 11 months ago

Wait a minute, every person I've known named Lacey is a girl. Is this a woman's team recruit we're getting all excited about? :)

rockchalkinit 2 years, 11 months ago

Come on down mr lacey and mr Daniels time to make the winners choice... Kansas all day! Rcjhku!

kushaw 2 years, 11 months ago

Maryland coach Gary Williams just announced that he is retiring. Wow! I have to admit that I wasn't expecting that to happen. It's kind of odd timing since this is right in the middle of recruiting, but then again Williams probably doesn't care because he's stated publically how much he hates recruiting and all the dirty money being passed around. I think he loved coaching, but just hated recruiting and that is what is forcing him to retire. I'm shocked, but not surprised.

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

jaybate Italian recruiting update:

Adriatic coast including Rimini and Senegalia--zip.

Venice/Padua/Chioggia--zip.

Dolomites--zip.

Verona/Modena/Maranello--zip.

Ferrari Campus--zip.

Parma/Reggio--zip.

Sestre Levant/Bay of Silence--zip.

Lots more cheerleader prospects.

Test drove Ferrari to help sell the program.

Have eaten very strange Ligerian seafood dishes to sell program.

Have driven 85-90 mph on autostrade for the program.

Ciao!

honk_for_hawks 2 years, 11 months ago

Off-subject, but I was told by my friend that works for the basketball team that while most of the players on the basketball team work out once a day pretty much every day, T-Rob has been doing THREE-A-DAYS since the season ended. Apparently he is taking his position as a leader on next year's team VERY seriously.

okiedave 2 years, 11 months ago

The biggest difference Lacy will note, after his UK visit, is that Kansas fans have a full set of teeth.

bradynsdad 2 years, 11 months ago

Wayne simien came to my church a couple weeks back and hearing him speak has easily made him my favorite jayhawk of all time. When we get knocked out of the tournament it's very upsetting and there are constantly people on here ragging on our coach and team but something Wayne said really stuck with me. He said "we won the NBA title on Tuesday and were world champions and by Thursday it wasnt good enough. We were world champions on tuesday but by Thursday it wasn't good enough". He kept saying that over and over. It is true championships are forgot within days and I don't understand why. I am not sure why I bring this up I just thought maybe someone would hear it.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 11 months ago

I only consider Ware to be Lacey insurance. D.Daniels would, most honestly, probably make a biggest name for himself at UT given the names they ahve leaving there now.

martyks 2 years, 11 months ago

and we were robbed in 1971. I was busy growing up in Indiana. I had no clue about Kansas. I didn't know anything about the university or team. But I remember that game because they should have won that game and were simply denied the chance to play.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 11 months ago

A little more than 40 years ago, a star prep player from Alabama came to KU and was a key member of the 1971 Final 4 Team! Bud Stallworth! Can Lacey help KU repeat this magic?

hawksfan08 2 years, 11 months ago

On a per possession basis, so points per posession versus opponents points per possession, Bill Self is the best coach in the country over the last 5 years. 1.14 PPP v. .94 Opp PPP for an astonishing +.20. Bo Ryan is .14 Coach K .12 and Roy at .10 for comparison's sake.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 11 months ago

Look at it this way, Trevor: If you come to KU and win a National Championship, you won't have to end up vacating it during the offseason. The same can't be said about UK. In fact, based on historical data, if you reach the Final Four with Coach Cal, there's about a 67% chance that you will have to vacate it. Juuuuust sayin'.

tis4tim 2 years, 11 months ago

"Lacey believes there’s a great chance of immediate playing time as a freshman at Kansas.

'Yes, sir,' he said. 'That’s why I’m coming to visit.'"

There has been lots of discussion on these boards about why Self seemingly has such a difficult time snaring some of the top recruits. I know these kids are individuals and it's probably not wise to make a blanket generalization for all recruits, but these guys play with and against each other in leagues and tournaments year-round. Kids talk and at that age there is a lot of conformity and "consensus" type thinking that goes on. More succinctly stated, Lacey's response, IMO, reflects the current culture of thought regarding college aspirations. It's all about immediate playing time. Period.

It's no secret there were some questions surrounding our team about which players were declaring for the draft and which were staying. It's also no secret that Self is not one to grant playing time solely on the basis of reputation coming out of high school. It adds up to one big clash of ideas. It seems that it's the coach that promises the path of least resistance (whether it's actually the case or not) that gets the spoils. Self's honesty and forthright nature will always betray him in this part of the recruiting game. Sad to think that a virtue like honesty has become a detriment.

My thinking is not a revelation for many of you, and I'm sure I'll appear naive for stating what is obvious to so many, but I'm one of the old-fashioned types who continues to clutch onto the notion that a beautiful campus, experienced coaches and educators, and an environment where a kid can grow, learn and develop into a pro-caliber player is a draw for these kids. Lacey's statement, more than ever, means I'm going to have to face up to the fact that I've been kidding myself.

Speaking of detriments, did any of you catch the Bulls/Hawks game last night? Calipari was there with his son, yammering away in his ear the whole time. Poor kid. The dude is always "on". He can't even dispense the used car salesman routine when he's out with his family. Personally, I don't think the guy can be alone with his thoughts for even a second because I don't think he would like what he finds. I contend that he has self-esteem issues and his constant blathering is a defense mechanism against confronting the fact that he's a seriously flawed individual.

hawkmaster 2 years, 11 months ago

I doubt that Daniels is going to Duke, unless he thinks he can beat out Duke's current recruits. Most importantly, about a month ago Duke announced Alex Murphy was graduating a year early from high school and joining Duke. Murphy is 6'8" and probably eliminates Duke's need for another 6'8" Daniels, although Murphy may be more of a perimeter player and Daniels is listed as a "power" forward. Plus, Duke has another Plumlee coming in, 7 footer. But Duke may be greedy and Daniels may ride the bench there for a while.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

As I posted a week or two ago, Deandre would be one in a bunch of good players at Duke. If he comes to Kansas he would be the centerpiece of this recruiting class with almost guaranteed extensive PT.

Actually, I kind of like being the underdog in this recruiting process. we've been the "favorite" so many times just to see the kids move on.

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

Didn't we recruit one other teammate of Daniels (besides Garrett)?

We need Daniels to help fill a huge hole. Playing time would be an obvious for him coming here, even more than at Duke. With Lacey there isn't such a big gap in our needs, but if you have seen him play you realize how big he would become at KU. Lacey brings an outrageous guard body that we haven't had since X and Valentine. Imagine what Hudy could do with him? We always focus on "Hudy-izing" our bigs, but why not Trevor? Trevor has the perfect frame to build big and he could develop himself into being a future NBA premiere player as a muscular guard.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

The anxiety caused by the "will he come" and "what did he mean by that comment" stuff related to recruitment of these top guys is pure entertainment.

The ulcers aren't worth it

Steve Gantz 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess Lacey is polar opposites with KU because we hate everything about Duke.

bradynsdad 2 years, 11 months ago

That article state that Daniels will make his decision before the signing period ends. Isn't that kind of obvious? That's when they are supposed too. Daniels will get no more playing time at duke then he would here, in fact he will probably get more playing time here. I hope we land both these kids but if not I trust in thee T-ROB.

2 years, 11 months ago

While DeAndre’s comments regarding Duke don’t appear to bode well for us, we may want to keep in mind that we have an ace in the hole with his IMG teammate and good friend Christian Garrett already here, walking on for the current semester.

Garrett on Daniels:

“I lived with him throughout the year and I’ve known him four years. He’s like family, like a brother,” Garrett said. “There were a lot of schools I was looking at he wasn’t looking at. We’ve always wanted to go to the same school. We said we’d do what’s best for each other. The only thing I can tell him is that there’s nothing like this place. I think he knows that. I think it’s just going to be him making the right decision (for himself).”

FarSideHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't know why, but my gut feeling is that Daniels is headed to Duke. As for Lacey, I think our guard rotation is pretty crowded for him to feel certain about playing time.

I think we'll be fine even if we don't sign anybody for 2011. It'll be good to play as an underdog and overachieve. I'm more excited about the 2012 prospects; hope we can lock some of those early this time.

RCJHKU!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry - it's too early and I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet. I just realized it was Daniels with the " I love everything about Duke" comment. Note to (my)self - no more comments before 9:00 am.

Kent Wells 2 years, 11 months ago

Usually I just scan the article for the word "ballyhoed". If I see it, I want the kid to come to Lawrence pretty badly. Neither of these kids are ballyhoed!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

Daniels seems Duke bound and Lacey...still impossible to tell. I agree with the earlier poster in that if we were lucky enough to get both this would be a very succesful recruiting period and be much stronger going into the season.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

As far as Lacey is concerned, " I love everything about Duke" doesn't seem to bode too well. It sounds like KU is iffy at best and Texas is pretty much out. ? I hope I don't read between the lines well.

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 11 months ago

Not so sure about Lacey's immediate playing then I am Daniels immediate playing time. You can't really say that though, any of these kids could have immediate playing time. If they put the work in it will be there for them. Lacey has some pretty tough competition coming in as a freshmen. I'm not saying he can't start I think he is talented enough, but he will have to work his butt off to beat out our guards. I agree with KuSmoothies that Daniels and Trob would be great to watch. I don't think they would start together though. Daniels is a 4 and his body frame is not going to change that much before he suits up. Then again maybe CS would play Trob at the 5 and start Daniels at the 4, who knows. It is a good problem to have on deciding who gets the playing time. Hope all these kids find their to the Phog!!!!!!!

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 11 months ago

Out of all the recruits...I hope we can get Trevor Lacey. We probably NEED Deandre Danials the most though...since we're in need for some bigs to replace the Morris twins. If we can get these two guys...and with the awesome 2012 class we'll have coming in...KU basketball will not miss a beat during this player transition period.

lee3022 2 years, 11 months ago

I think we are all looking forward to Trevor coming to visit. It is such a great campus and a one-of-a-kind atmosphere in Allen Fieldhouse (of course that has to be experienced during the season). The opportunity for him to play immediately and play within a great system that emphasizes both defense and offense as team work will be excellent preparation for the next level while showcasing his talents. Best of all is being an alum from KU. Ask Paul Pierce, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, among many others.

Waiting to hear your impressions and your decision Mr Lacey. Whatever you choose, let it be the best place for you.

KUsmoothies 2 years, 11 months ago

I didn't realize that Lacey had only met Coach Self one time. I think once he gets a chance to get to know Self better it will be an easy decision. I haven't heard anything about Ware. Would he be a good fit for our program? Also, I think Daniels will end up at KU. I know he plays a lot around the perimeter, but I think him and TRob would be a great duo together.

Gotta love Dooley and Wish him the best of luck. I really hope he stays, but he is a great coach and deserves a head coaching job eventually.

Mike Schell 2 years, 11 months ago

Cone on down Trevor!!! We will show u first hand ku is better then UK see u soon.. rock chalk

Mike Schell 2 years, 11 months ago