Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Victor Ortiz plans to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz, a native of Garden City, told the Journal-World on Tuesday night that he plans to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Sept. 16 in Las Vegas.

“I just need to look at the contract and make sure everything is OK,” Ortiz said. “It’s not 100 percent sure yet, but that’s what I’m setting my sights on.”

A lifelong Jayhawk fan who trains in Ventura, Calif., and enjoys spending his free time in Lawrence, Ortiz said he told his manager, Rolando Arellano, that he wanted to announce the fight in Lawrence and said Arellano will be in town today.

Ortiz (29-2-2) won the crown with a unanimous decision victory against Andre Berto on HBO on April 16.

Ortiz signed with Oscar De La Hoya’s “Golden Boy Promotions” in 2008. He said De La Hoya “is interested in coming to a basketball game in Allen Fieldhouse.

De La Hoya also has discussed the possibility of Ortiz fighting in Allen Fieldhouse, Livestrong Sporting Park or the Sprint Center, according to Ortiz.

“That would be so awesome,” Ortiz said of fighting in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

hawksquawk 3 years, 5 months ago

You should change the title. I thought Big Papi was retiring from the Red Sox to fight Mayweather...

53jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

David Ortiz??? great job of proof reading

Ian Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

Hahahaha. I began laughing hysterically (and still am) when I read this title. What's kind of sad is the fact that VICTOR ORTIZ is a Kansas boy who sported a Jayhawk on the trunks he wore during his victorious Welterweight Championship Title Fight. Further, he's trying to schedule fights in Allen Fieldhouse, the Sprint Center, and other nearby venues... I don't know. Obviously it was a simple mistake and isn't anything personal (at least I'd like to think it isn't), but I just figured the least KUSports could do is get his name correct.

jartiv 3 years, 5 months ago

How is it sad that a Kansas boy is trying to represent Kansas and grow boxing in the state?

Mayweather would never fight at the Phog, especially not against Ortiz. But the kind of revenue that big of a fight would bring to KU/Lawrence would be off the charts. Afterall, the Fieldhouse is where Kansas builds Champions.

nnelson 3 years, 5 months ago

Ha! Definitely not David Ortiz. He's still playing baseball. Hopefully he takes up boxing later in life, though. We've got it fixed. Thanks.

Nick Nelson KUSports.com web producer

diehardjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

wouldn't it be Sept. 17th?...the 16th is a Friday

kickazzkurtz 3 years, 5 months ago

Victor Ortiz is on twitter asking who said he has a planned fight with Mayweather......hmmmm..

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

Mayweather is a no class piece of **** and a human wrecking machine.