Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Naadir Tharpe’s prep teammate undecided on Kansas

Mitch McGary made an unofficial visit to KU for the 2011 Jayhawk Invite.

Mitch McGary made an unofficial visit to KU for the 2011 Jayhawk Invite.

Tharpe, a 6-foot, 170-pounder originally from Worchester, Mass., this summer will join fellow Brewster graduate Thomas Robinson at KU.

“I know Kansas is a great school. We’ve got a few alumni from Brewster going there,” said SYF Players power forward/center McGary who made the all-tournament team at last weekend’s Invitational.

“They’ve got one of the classiest coaches in Bill Self. I like the program. It’s always at the top of the nation.

“I’m not sure right now,” he added, asked where KU stands in his recruitment. “I’m wide open in recruiting.”

The Chesterton, Ind., native, is considering KU, Indiana, UConn, Pitt, West Virginia, Illinois, Duke, Arizona, Florida, Texas, Michigan, Purdue, Marquette and many others.

The mobile big man, with a soft lefthanded touch that extends past the three point line, explained his decision to attend Brewster both this year and next.

“Indiana basketball is the best, but I had to go for academics. I probably wouldn’t have qualified (for college) if I stayed at my old high school,” McGary said. “This is more structured. I have ADD, attention deficit disorder. I can’t focus in bigger classes.”

McGary, who made the academic honor roll at Brewster, continued his praise of the school where he’ll take postgraduate classes next year after reclassifying to the Class of 2012.

“The transition has been so good for me. I’ve got my grades handled so a lot of schools are looking at me now. (Also) being in the weight room and gym every day .. it’s helped me a lot being at Brewster,” McGary said.

Here’s ESPN.com’s scouting report on McGary, Rivals.com’s No. 92-rated player in the Class of 2012: “He is a physically imposing presence in the paint with good size, tremendous upper body strength, and limitless energy and physicality. He is proactive seeking out contact inside, a consistent finisher, and high volume two way rebounder. He is incredibly active with a terrific motor and great toughness. The lefty is skilled enough to stretch the defense to 18 feet, has the dexterity to dunk with both hands in congestion, and sets big screens both on and off the ball. He runs well in straight lines and has pretty soft hands around the basket.”

Lacey in Kentucky

Trevor Lacey, a 6-3 senior guard from Butler High in Huntsville Ala., is on a Monday-Wednesday recruiting visit to Kentucky, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports. Lacey, who has visited Alabama and Auburn, is expected to visit KU and North Carolina State before the May 18 conclusion of the spring signing period.

Lacey on Monday night was to observe the first-ever “Kentucky Combine.”

Players are not allowed to travel and miss class to work out for teams, so Calipari is bringing the scouts to Lexington.

“I don’t know of any other way we can get these young people the information they need,” Calipari told the Lexington Herald-Leader. “They don't have the time to work out for three or four teams, and we just need to know what’s out there and what’s not for them to make the decisions."

Dooley a finalist?

GWhoops.com reports from “numerous sources” that either KU assistant Joe Dooley or Vermont head coach Mike Lonergan will emerge as George Washington’s next coach. The website said the announcement could be next week.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 2 months ago

McGary is way under rated. He is a high major recruit and played outstanding in Lawrence over the weekend.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

McGary was amazing this weekend. He could move to his left and right with power. We need to go after him big time!

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 2 months ago

I would love it if we could get this guy..How good could that be if Zach Peters and McGary both signed!

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah I could see him putting up some Cole Aldrich type numbers in a hurry!!! I think we will know about Lacey as soon as we know about the 3 from Kentucky. I have not found or heard anything on Daniels. I'm so much looking forward to 2012 recruiting class!!! I wish college basketball was all year around though, i'm that crazy of a fan!!!!!

thaihawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Regardless of getting more bodies, I am looking forward to seeing what we can do next year with the 5-6 solid kids we will have on board plus others who step up. I think we can win 23-25 games with great D, passing, shot selection, and coaching. It happened before; it can happen again...

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 2 months ago

What ever happened to Nino? That kid was all KU? Did we sour on him or did he sour on us?

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 2 months ago

Nino is fine....i think we're the team to beat for him. he's a 2012 kid anyway.

Ben Kane 8 years, 2 months ago

Lacey got a nice nasty day here in Lexington to start his visit. 50 degree high rain all day.

8 years, 2 months ago

~ Brewster Academy senior point guard Naadir Tharpe hasn’t tried to actively recruit his prep school teammate to Kansas University just yet. “He just says he’s going to Kansas to win a national ‘ship. That’s all he says to me,” said Mitch McGary, a 6-foot-10, 250-pound junior from the Wolfeboro, N.H., school, who made an unofficial visit to KU last weekend while in town for the Jayhawk Invitational. ~

Love the attitude from Naadir Tharpe!

tdub 8 years, 2 months ago

How many titles does Calipari have???

JayDocMD 8 years, 2 months ago

I guess he was watching in 2008. (BTW, that is ten years PAST 1998.)

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 2 months ago

Looks like KY_CatsUCK changed her screen name.

Cmill1221 8 years, 2 months ago

Do you thnk he may have watched the tournament 4 years ago?

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

Guess you don't have a team good enough to root for so you have to come on here and look like a douche bag everyday! Your like a bad rash that won't go away(Adp,innerneb etc...)

Tony Bandle 8 years, 2 months ago

1] Deandre Daniels - As much as I'm aggravated by the lack of a decision, I realize that this is a monumental life choice and if he needs up to May 16th then so be it.

2] From all accounts, we may have a true leader in Nadiir. Travis, Elijah, Nadir, BenMac and Trevor Lacey would give Kansas one heck of a guard rotation.

3] Soonerr or later a big man will come......bank on it.

4] As much as we can, I think Kansas flies under the radar next season and hits March in full stride. There will be bumps along the way, but even those will help the team grow.

5] What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. [Take it from me. the Grim Reaper took a swing at me and missed about five weeks ago......he ain't gettin' another chance for a long, long time!!]

REHawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Oakville, happy to hear that the big scythe didn't lay you asunder. +1 on your 2,3,4.

JayDocMD 8 years, 2 months ago

Where did NC State come from on Lacey? Thought it was down to Kentucky, KU and Bama?

Chris Shaw 8 years, 2 months ago

Gottfried, new NC State coach, was Alabama coach for 11 seasons so he has a bunch of connections and ties to the State of Alabama. Getting in late, but I've seen crazier things.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Look, I'm one of the few that actually respect aspects of what Calipari has done over the last decade with recruits and getting them to the NBA or at least getting them paid professionally. I get it!

However, I'm so tired of his "Act" it almost makes me want to scratch my eyes out. I mean, seriously, he doesn't know how to get these young people the information they need so he's bring the scouts to his players so they don't miss class? Give me a break!

Calipari will find a way to spin anything in his direction as long as it benefits him.

JayhawkLifer 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, NC State I think is just internet fodder. Got this quote from www.al.com from Trevor:

I'm thinking about it right now," he (Trevor) told the website. "I've been to Alabama and Auburn and once I go to Kentucky and Kansas I'll know which one was better. I'll be ready."

No mention of NC State at all.

Ben Kane 8 years, 2 months ago

from espn insider

Tyshawn Taylor figures to be Kansas' primary point guard when he takes the court as a senior next season, with Elijah Johnson and ESPNU 100 newcomer Naadir Tharpe (Worcester, Mass./Brewster Academy) also in the mix.

But what about after next season when Taylor leaves the program? Johnson came on a bit last season as a sophomore, but may not be the long-term answer. He'll be a senior in 2012-13. And Tharpe, as KU found out last year with Josh Selby, may be highly regarded but remains unproven.

In other words, point guard has to remain a point of recruiting emphasis for Jayhawks coach Bill Self, and according to this story by Paul Biancardi of ESPN Recruiting, KU appears to be in good position for one of 2012's best -- J-Mychal Reese (Bryan, Texas/Bryan).

Reese is ranked the No. 5 point guard in the class, trailing only L.J. Rose (undecided), Marcus Paige (North Carolina), Kevin Ferrell (Indiana) and Ryan Arcidiacono (Villanova). The junior told Biancardi that Kansas and Baylor were coming the strongest for him, while Texas Tech, Louisville and Memphis are also in the mix.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 2 months ago

I actually like Kentucky's decision to have a "pro-day" on campus, and I think that as the early draft declaration withdrawal period gets shorter and shorter that it is going to be the standard to have a pro-day.

Next year players definitely aren't going to have time to make it to multiple NBA workouts. Hopefully the NBA changes the "one-and-done" rule, but if nothing changes then KU will most likely follow suit next year with a pro-day.

One thing it does, is that it ensures that Josh Selby doesn't set the precedent for spending weeks away from school working out for scouts. Bill Self can tell his team that they do NOT have his permission to leave campus for workouts, and that the NBA scouts will be coming to campus instead. That eliminates the confusion of fans as to why Self allowed Selby to leave for 2 weeks to workout with scouts.

It also prevents the situation where a player is fully relying on Self for information that Self is likely too busy to really seek.

dmb40fan 8 years, 2 months ago

McGary has alot of the team skills necessary to blend in at the center position. He won't have the same athletic ability of a Darrell Arthur, but he has a good shooting touch much like a LaFrenz, very good sight of the floor and space, and very talented passer.
Given he would stay in school for 2-3 years he could be as good as a Nick Collison or Raef, he will have some more polishing, but he has a lot of skills and good characteristics...

ku_foaf 8 years, 2 months ago

Guess everyone will have to learn to pronounce Nadir's home town, which I believe to the natives is "Wusta."

I went to Massachusetts a few years ago and loved it. I was surprised, being a midwest guy who has spent 23 years in the South.

Sounds like McGary is getting some attention.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 2 months ago

I always thought it was more like "Wushter"... Either way, far fewer syllables than expected being as it's spelled Worchester.

ku_foaf 8 years, 2 months ago

Some people in the region kind of drop the r, like "pahk the cah" for "park the car." John Kennedy, for instance. At least to my ear!

JayDocMD 8 years, 2 months ago

Just a thought on the Dooley - GW job. I hope the best for him and his coaching future. That said, since this hiring process has taken so long it could be difficult for KU to find a good replacement this late into the coaching carousel. (Norm Roberts would have been a great replacement, but was taken by Florida.) This will be a major factor in future recruiting, and should he be hired before the end of the signing period it might actually be a negative for the guys we are still recruiting for 2011.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 2 months ago

Article contradicted itself a bit. Bedore, you say his range extends beyond the 3 point line, while you quote the ESPN profile which says his range is to 18 feet, last I checked that is short of the 3 point line. Nonetheless sounds like a good kid.

Kristen Downing 8 years, 2 months ago

Why in the heck did Calipari have to think of this first?! This will definitely be attractive to recruits.

KUsmoothies 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow, Kentucky pro day sounds so much better than sending a student to Las Vegas for 2 weeks on their own and missing all those classes.

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 2 months ago

They can keep their "pro day" in Kentucky. Give us a day for players that will stay 3-4 years in the system. We can call it get an education day!!!!

KUsmoothies 8 years, 2 months ago

I hear ya, but I doubt it would help get top recruits. Plus even if guys stay 3-4 yrs they still probably would like to have that kind of exposure to NBA scouts.

Joe Baker 8 years, 2 months ago

McGary looks and plays much like Raef LaFrentz.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 2 months ago

This kid's a junior in high school and he's being compared to two all time Jayhawk greats Nick Collison and Raef LaFrentz? Why? And if his range is to 18 feet, well that's not LaFrentz territory yet. It'd be great if he is Nick and Raef, and Wayne, and Kief and Marcus. But if he's not, if he's just a good player, every feels let down.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 2 months ago

wrong with his ear? its called 2 and a quarter carrots of dat CZ boiiiiiiiii

JJHawq 8 years, 2 months ago

so from what I'm hearing from the comments - he sounds very white. the picture supports that theory.

Jayhawklegacy 8 years, 2 months ago

So does everyone agree that Daniels is more than likely Duke bound? Nobody knows anything on this kids decision. I don't know if Daniels even knows what team he will pick yet. I think Daniels or Traylor is a must need for this season. It is crazy to think a kid would pass on a opportunity to learn from the great Danny Manning. I guess I will never understand the thought process. It is going to be another great season regardless! I just wish it wasn't so far away.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 2 months ago

"Kentucky coach John Calipari was to welcome NBA personnel from 20 teams to work out Wildcat players Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones and DeAndre Liggins, who have until May 8 to decide whether to stay in the NBA Draft or return to school."

That sounds more like a pro recruiting trip then just an evaluation. I guess it must all be allowed..just to high profile to keep underwraps. Still...

yovoy 8 years, 2 months ago

...McGary said. “This is more structured. I have ADD, attention deficit disorder. I can’t focus in bigger classes.”...

"...good size, tremendous upper body strength, and limitless energy and physicality. He is proactive seeking out contact inside, a consistent finisher, and high volume two way rebounder. He is incredibly active with a terrific motor and great toughness. The lefty is skilled enough to stretch the defense to 18 feet, has the dexterity to dunk with both hands in congestion, and sets big screens both on and off the ball. He runs well in straight lines and has pretty soft hands around the basket.”...

=

Welcome to Kansas! We could play pick-n-pop, pick-n-roll, show-n-roll all day long with the tools that this scout highlights. If he's got ADD there wouldn't be much that we'd need to do w/ him on the offensive end (in pick-n-x situations); he could just PLAY. If we have a set out of a timeout, or we're running something intricate, ourSelf could pull him (if he can't remember his job), then put him back in later. If he's got range from the rim to 18', then a little 8-to-12-footer ought to get this kid loads of points (much like it did for The Twins). It's been forever since I saw someone in a Kansas uni that tried to dunk every time they touched the ball near the tin. Greg Dreiling was out to punish someone every time. I might've been in HS or JHS when he was at KU, but I remember watching him in awe. IMO, T-Rob has been the closest big we've had to that "just dunk it" mindset since GD. I'm hoping this kid has some of that in him.

I think you could sell this kid by telling him that his presence would make us much more flexible in what we could do offensively. We had that sort of flexibility in '08, because we had mult-talented bigs and great guards (and B-Rush on the wing). This kid, T-Rob, Withey, the big kid from the Metroplex with EJ, Thompson, and whoever else would be quite the complementary kit.

I wonder what AFH would do for his ADD...