Tuesday, March 29, 2011

KU men’s basketball prepares for life after tournament

Kansas head coach pats senior guard Tyrel Reed on the as the Jayhawks leave the court after falling to Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Kansas University’s basketball players prepared for a return to normalcy Sunday following the end of the six-month marathon college basketball season.

“Back to school ... classes tomorrow, man,” KU junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said after the Jayhawks’ 71-61 season-ending Elite Eight loss to VCU in San Antonio.

His words served as a reminder that the Jayhawks (35-3) do double as students pursuing college degrees. Books were to be the total focus this week, with the Jayhawks to return to the weight room and gym soon enough to begin the process of working on their bodies and games for wherever they’ll be playing next season.

There are a lot of unknowns regarding the 2011-12 roster as the Jayhawks look to pursue an eighth straight Big 12 title and postseason success.

The Jayhawks, who lose seniors Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar and Mario Little, have at least four scholarships to give in recruiting. Senior-to-be Conner Teahan received a scholarship this year since one was available.

More scholarships, of course, will be available should Marcus and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Josh Selby elect to turn pro.

Taylor on Sunday strongly hinted he, as expected, would be back for his senior season.

So far, KU has filled one scholarship slot with Naadir Tharpe, a 6-foot, 170-pound point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H.

The Jayhawks on Sunday are expected to land a commitment from Ben McLemore at the NeXt All-America game in suburban Chicago. The 6-5 shooting guard from St. Louis recently enrolled at Christian Life Center near Houston after leaving Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. He has a final list of KU and Missouri. It seems unlikely he’d choose MU, which has no head coach at this time.

Another top priority is DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8, 180-pound forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. One of his best friends, Christian Garrett, is a walk-on KU’s team. Daniels has a list that includes KU, Kentucky, Texas and Duke.

Braeden Anderson, a 6-8, 215-pound forward from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts, recently visited KU. He’s also considering Kentucky, Florida, Arizona and others.

Stan Simpson, 6-10, 220 sophomore from Bogan Junior College in Chicago, is considering KU, Kentucky and others.

Otto Porter, 6-9, 200, from Scott County Central High in Sikeston, Mo., also has KU on his list along with Georgetown and Missouri. Other players, of course, could be on Bill Self’s wish list.

Scholarship Jayhawks who appear to be coming back include: guards Taylor, Elijah Johnson and Royce Woolridge, guard/forward Travis Releford and center Jeff Withey.

“Next year if some of these guys leave I’ll have to step up,” said Withey, a 7-foot, 240 pound sophomore from San Diego. “I’m going to try to gain a lot of weight (in offseason). I think the offense will be there. I’m not going to worry too much about that now. When it comes it comes. I think I’ll be ready.”

He said he has the makeup to be a team leader.

“I think I can definitely help out there,” Withey said. “I’ve been around the program a while now. I think it can definitely come out that way. We’ll see over the summer how it happens.”

Robinson, who said a few weeks ago he’d definitely be back, but wavered on that a bit after Sunday’s game, says he would like to improve his 6-9, 237-pound physique.

“I don’t know how much bigger I can get,” he said, “but I’m going to try in the offseason, try to get bigger. LeBron (James) is my height and he’s like 250.”

Teahan, a 6-5, 212-pound senior who practiced all season, but did not play in games, might play a huge role depending on Selby’s status and which players the Jayhawks land in recruiting.

“I will try my best to fill their shoes,” he said of seniors Reed, Morningstar and Little. “Those are some big shoes to fill. I’ve been watching them, trying to learn from them. Hopefully I can become a good leader and be somebody we can win some games with.

“No one will replace those guys. I will try my best to make this team better and hopefully make the fans happy.”

KU has a rugged nonconference slate next season and expanded Big 12 schedule. So far, it’s known KU will play Ohio State and South Florida at home with a game at USC and against Kentucky in New York. Also, KU will play in the 2011 Maui Invitational with a field that also consists of Duke, UCLA, Georgetown, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee and host Chaminade.

Comments

Larry Evans 8 years, 4 months ago

Why would the question be put to whether Taylor will be back? He doesn't have an NBA game. Unfortunately for him he has weakness's that can't carry over to NBA play. i think he finally realizes it. hope he can improve his handles.

AsadZ 8 years, 4 months ago

Very paathetic and crude comment. I sincerely hope that Taylor proves you wrong.

WilburNether 8 years, 4 months ago

"Paathetic" [sic] and crude?" No, actually, it's a reality check that you obviously are in desperate need of performing, as is the case with the other fanbois here.

AsadZ 8 years, 4 months ago

Cockroaches such as you are on this site after the loss.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

This insect has not ever posted anything remotely civil-always sarcastic, spiteful, "idiot" based comments saying the same over & over crap. Everyone else is stupid & I'm smart. Too bad he can't blow everything he (it) has instead of just the horn. Then again if you don't have one, blown someone else's.

Max Ledom 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually Taylor has a better NBA game then he does college. NBA scouts love this kid for the NBA. So you're wrong.

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

The fact that he is a fast and long PG has had NBA sites talking about his potential as a 1st round pick since he has finished his freshman year. His skill set seems to fit a role playing PG in the NBA. Sorry if I can't name any scouts personally but there have been a dozen websites (including sites like espn, si, and cbssports) who have said that the scouts like these attributes of Taylor, but it is apparent that questions about his character and consistency have affected whether or not the scouts believe at the moment that he can reach his potential for the price of a 1st round draft pick.

CaliLAWhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

No mid-range jumper and his 3 ball is average at best. No NBA scout has much stock in Taylor

loyal2thaphog 8 years, 4 months ago

He's projected by some NBA mock drafts as an early 2nd round prospect.

slowplay 8 years, 4 months ago

Last year he was in the top 20 early on. I agree, his 1 on 1 ability is more siuted to the NBA. He's long, quick and is showing better range from the outside. Is he ready for the NBA? No. Will be an NBA player. Yes, in the same mold as Chalmers.

Dale Kroening 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe because his name comes up in several mock drafts as a late 1st, to 2nd rd pick. I dont agree, and hes not ready, but NBA GMs draft on potential. Just sayin........

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

This comment is crap. It has weaknesses beyond spelling the word incorrectly. Be specific, what is wrong with his game as played in the last three contests that would disqualify him? Actually, he is more an NBA player than anyone except the three bigs, especially Robinson. I hope he comes back next year with all the rest including the Morris brothers. However, I expect they will get the lucrative contracts that they deserve.

FL_Jhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I expect Taylor to continue his improvement and will be a huge asset next year.

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

Taylor's game is much better suited to the NBA than Bill Self's okie hokie pokie. Every game where we actually got out and ran and pushed the ball, Taylor looked good.

Selbyville 8 years, 4 months ago

Yea I'm sure the NBA has no interest in tall, long, uber-quick point guards who can slash and dish. Taylor is going to the league. You're an idiot

addlime 8 years, 4 months ago

What a shame that this idiot has the first post on here. All Taylor needs is a little better jumper and some consistency of effort. His ability to slash and dish is what the League is all about.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 4 months ago

I think he does. He's not quite as good as RussRob on defense but he does the job and his Point Guard skills are similar to those of Chalmers. He's not as protective as he probably should be, but Chalmers isn't and he's an NBA Point Guard. His job is to dribble penetrate on offense and pull defenses away from the Morris twins. Sometimes he scores, sometimes his numbers don't reflect his contributions.

In his last six games, his scored: 15, 20, 10, 13, 4, 14 -> Third on team In his last six games, his assists: 4, 5, 7, 4, 7, 3 -> First on team In his last six games, his TO: 4, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2

When you watch the games, count how many times Taylor drives and throws something up sloppy but puts it on the rim for Marcus, Markieff, and Thomas. Almost all his missed shots are that way.

In his last six games, shots missed - 3 pointers: 3, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3

If you count half of those as assists (rounding up... cause it's likely the case): 6, 7, 8, 5, 9, 5

Now you're going to knock a guy who's averaging around 6.7 assists per game to 2.8 Turnovers and scoring 12.6 pts per game on a team where he's maybe the 4th scoring option?

Would you prefer he look like Sherron Collins? Cause we all know what he's doing in the NBA.

HawksWin 8 years, 4 months ago

Geez pig, Layoff. Do you kick a kid when he's down? What a little boy you are. Have you ever dribbled a ball with the palm of your hand with two fingers taped? Try it sometime and see if you run at the same time. Tyshawn will need a surgery on his finger during off season. As for him being NBA bound? Taylor is projected to be drafted in 2012.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 4 months ago

Taylor has NBA speed, size, and quickness. Another year in college, and I definitely think he can have a lengthy NBA career. Maybe not a star or starter, but he can make one heck of a good living for a decade-plus, not unlike Jacque Vaughn.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

best case scenario for Taylor would be a player like Rajon Rondo that doesn't score much other than layups and gets a lot of assists off of the drive. Taylor had that type of game toward the end of the season.

Of course he has some mental issues...

s6u6r6f 8 years, 4 months ago

Just a comment on the season: three pros lost from last year's team, preseason predictions of mid-league finishes, and a year one might consider one of rebuilding ends with a 35 win season, another Big 12 championship, and an elite eight finish. Life can be a whole lot worse than this. While I'd like to see all the players return, I also wish all well in any future endeavors they may choose. We still have Kansas basketball. Rock chalk.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 4 months ago

And a Big XII Tournament Championship...I don't think of it as the crowning jewel, but it is an accomplishment.

Theutus 8 years, 4 months ago

Seriously? Is this an honest question?

The crowning jewel is the National Championship. Always has been.

planojayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

May I ask how many NCAA tournament NC win equivalent accomplishments that you have achieved in your life so far? Do you even have one?

It is not always about the end. Try to learn to enjoy the journey, my friend.

That is always a really really good year again next year for us Jayhawks. Can't wait till next October to arrive fast enough!

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 4 months ago

The question was "what would be the crowning jewel?". Theutus answered it would be a national championship. In college basketball, that is the crown jewel. There's really no other way to interpret that question. Theutus answered that particular question in the only way one can.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 4 months ago

And there have only been 72 of those. People obsess over winning a National Championship. It's a 30 + game season and you have to win that damn thing at the very end of it. It's silly to call it a National Championship. It's a single elimination tourney that decides who was healthiest at the end of a long season.

Allen had a good idea, but it doesn't work. The best team doesn't win. The best team who's healthiest, who doesn't have an off night, doesn't catch a bad ref, and doesn't meet a better opponent (normally cause that opponent had an off night or an injury) is the team who wins.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking about this roster the other day, and with the exception of Marcus, I think I'd take every player on the 2008 team to start over this year's starter. I don't intend for that to be mean-spirited, I just mean that team was loaded. Rush, Chalmer, Arthur, Collins and Kaun off the bench!!! And that team got a little lucky to win the championship. I didn't think this team had that kind of talent and they got to the Elite Eight. I'd say this was a pretty good year!!!

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Kaun and Russ Rob were starters with Darnell Jackson and Collins coming off the bench. All of those players were drafted to play professionally (Russ Rob in Europe and Kaun in Russia).

You are right 08 was a much better team. Still 11 was a better "team" than 10.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 4 months ago

Kaun started initially, but Jackson started for the bulk of the conference and post-season.

Robinson started and Collins came off the bench, because Bill Self recognized team chemistry with Robinson in the starting lineup, but he was confident to keep Collins in the game late if we needed another scorer.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 4 months ago

I would take everyone over them, even Marcus. That said, this team is very good and I would take Taylor, Johnson, Morris x 2, Releford, and Robinson before I'd bring Kaun or Collins off the bench.

dinney 8 years, 4 months ago

AMEN ! It is back to reality folks. Love our team, will love next years and ROCK CHALK..best of luck to those who choose to go pro or not return. 201 days until basketball AND I am very excited about our upcoming football team.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

I hope your excitement about football isn't delusional. Last year's performance sure doesn't excite me.

floridajayhawks 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't understand why the media and some fans are worried that Selby will go pro. He is not ready, couldn't handle the college game. Tall but slim recruits.

Steve Yeakel 8 years, 4 months ago

I love Coach Self and the Jayhawks, always have, always will. The one thing Coach Self has to figure out is which changes to make to consistently have us playing our best in the NCAA tourney, which, to me at least, is much, much, much more important than the Big 12 regular season or tourney. Coach's one achilles heel (and I know he can fix it) is that he/we are one missed Davidson shot away from being 0fer in Elite 8's, not to mention even earlier round upsets to the Killer Bs. The constant there is not the players, it is him as coach. Here is a nice link to show that our failure factor is much higher than the other elite schools: http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/3075.

Jason Brinker 8 years, 4 months ago

The NCAA tourney is much, much, much more important than the Big 12 regular season or tourney? Really? Because if KU doesn't perform during the regular season, they don't make the NCAA tourney. Or they get a much worse seed. Coach Self does not have an achilles heel in the tourney. Self didn't miss 13 free throws or 19 three pointers. The kids had a bad shooting game. They didn't follow the scouting reports. Self can only do so much...the players have to execute and they didn't. It happens. I still love that team. They were fun to watch and had a great run. Unfortunately it ended a little early. Hopefully all the undecided players return and put us right back in the thick of things next year.

Rock Chalk!

cklarock 8 years, 4 months ago

I think the regular season is a better gauge of the health of a program than the NCAA tourney. We all love to win in the NCAAs, but it's a crap-shoot that doesn't always reward excellence. Even the most successful programs have long stretches without Final Fours.

Our regular-season success is the testament to how strong our program is under Coach Self. Seven B-12 titles in a row is a jaw-dropping accomplishment.

murph 8 years, 4 months ago

AMEN!! I'm really sick of hearing all the "oh-woe-is-us" attitude about this basketball season! It was a wonderful ride, and getting to the Elite 8 is quite an accomplishment in itself. What is wrong with people that they can't see that?!

mhughes1 8 years, 4 months ago

I think you have the right data, but the wrong conclusion; sure Davidson could have made that shot, and we'd be talking (even more) about how Self under-performs in the big dance... but I think that says more about the tournament than Self's coaching.

Take Kentucky: they were one missed field goal from a 1st round loss to humble Princeton... instead, they make it, and they may go on to win a championship. Would the players be any less skilled had they missed that shot? Would Calipari's "coaching" be any less?

The NCAA tournament is a brutal event that breaks everyone eventually. To win a championship or even get to the Final Four, you have to be really good and a little lucky, or pretty good and very lucky. God knows the 2008 team got more than a little lucky in a couple games... I'm happy taking the good with the bad, and I don't think Self needs to change anything.

Rock Chalk.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 4 months ago

Butler was a missed shot away from losing in the first round to ODU, and everyone would have labeled last year as a fluke and said that this is just an average mid major team with an average mid major coach.

UConn was one made shot by Az away from not advancing to the Final Four. Heck, how many of their games this year have been decided by one shot from Kemba Walker. They would by a Big East bottom feeder without Walker, but with Kemba, Jim Calhoun is made out in the media as a genius.

VCU with one more regular season loss doesn't even get in the tourney to make their magic run. Heck they only got in the tourney because the selection committee saw something in them that the rest of America apparently didn't.

Lone_salina_kufan 8 years, 4 months ago

I think Coach Self's problem is not that he doesn't have them playing their best come tournament time. If that we're true, we wouldn't be winning conference tourneys. All 4 final four teams won their conference tournament, so I don't think that is irrelevant.

I think if one does have a complaint, its that Self for whatever reason, can't get the guys to just relax and go play. Its a psyche thing, more than how they're playing I think.

planojayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Coach Self should not win so many games during the regular season and so comes into the tournament as, let's say a 6 - 8 seed. Then we will be surprising people if we win more than a couple games instead expecting to win the NC. The players (maybe including Coach Self himself) can relax and just enjoy playing the games.

rockchalk80 8 years, 4 months ago

From the Star article written by Martin Manley, he writes..."I’m not sure KU will be in a position to qualify for choke-status for awhile. In fact, I’m not sure when they might be a #1 seed again. If I’m a recruit, I might be thinking twice."

A comment that might have some merit, IF a top recruit decides to play at a school to get a championship... we KNOW that isn't true (a la Kentucky)... Players choose schools based on PT and national TV exposure... Kansas gets the exposure, but there hasn't been much PT available lately.

As I read the recruiting tea leaves---many project KU to have a banner 2012 recruiting year...since we will have "officially" a lot schollies available.

RockCaCO3 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, well K-State was supposed to win the Big 12 this year. And how many of the "experts" have the current final 4. Bill will field a good team next year.

RCJH

RockCaCO3 8 years, 4 months ago

“I’m going to try to gain a lot of weight (in offseason). "

Damn that would be fun.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Quite awesome and with a mid range jumper, he'll be extremly tough to guard!

RockCaCO3 8 years, 4 months ago

I was referring more to the eating portion of the gaining weight:)

Robert Brock 8 years, 4 months ago

Next year looks like a down year. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't be so sure.

With the CBA in question, I think all 4 of those guys are back.

GabrielMichael 8 years, 4 months ago

Good point... can anyone explain the repercussions of a possible lock-out in the NBA?

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 4 months ago

Whats going on in the NBA is much more contentious than the NFL. David Stern is talking about contraction and some players comments lead one to believe they think it is inevitable. Stern also said that the total losses by teams was $400 million last year.

cklarock 8 years, 4 months ago

We thought that after '08, and we thought it after Cole and Sherron left.

FSUJHAWK 8 years, 4 months ago

To all the returning Jayhawks: Work your tails off this summer, have some fun, relax, be safe, work your tails off, take a break, then work your tails off even more. Hard work, dedication and respect are what generally pays off in this world, and basketball is no exception. Make us proud boys.

RCJHGKU!!!

jayhawkintexas 8 years, 4 months ago

Can any of the recruits make a three consistently? We need guards who can light up the scoreboard.

Jayhawk444 8 years, 4 months ago

Deandre Daniels is "a 6-8, 180-pound forward" 180? Connor Teahan at 6-5 is 212. Daniels must be a twig.

KURob 8 years, 4 months ago

Daniels is actually a SF, not PF, more along the lines of Chris Douglas-Roberts from Memphis a while back. He would be an excellent land, and certainly fill a scoring gap on the wing. Only question is whether he could play defense better than Releford to earn some playing time.

ny05ks08 8 years, 4 months ago

I am a KU grad and will continue to applause our teams year over year. I have been enjoying this year's tournament so far, and hope to have more fun in FF games. But I have to say KU's performance in last game was so poor that it's almost a disrespect to the whole Madness and even to the winner of VCU (didn't Sharka have to say they "earned" it?). Wisconsin looked quiet bad earlier, but it at least had a better FT than KU. Now I think KU probably gave the most disappointing performance in this tournament so far, hate to say that though. Both players and coaching staff can learn a lot from this loss. Basically I think they came out being hunted, not hunters. Change that attitude (including LJW), respect your opponents and always always come out being ready to fight for a win. We fans will always have very high expectation on our team, why not? If VCU/Butler can do this with their talents, a KU team in any year should be expected to give similar performance, if they can fight through.

FinalFinal 8 years, 4 months ago

All about player changes, what about the coaching staff?

Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa and Virginia Commonwealth. Something has to change.

Winning this soft league is not enough. Self too cocky for basically one good post season.

ny05ks08 8 years, 4 months ago

I would prefer our coaching staff over Butler/VCUs, because firing up an underdog team for one biggest game is much easier than maintaining a high profile program, keeping high ranking all season long and all media hypes (important for $$$), and having multiple chances to play for big games in the tournament. Of course, coaches all have room to improve, that never ends...

KURob 8 years, 4 months ago

I'll give you Coach Stevens is a very hot coach, but VCU? By your own logic, one good post season a stellar coach does not make. They are a senior studded team that shot lights out from 3 and are executing very well. However, they went 11-6 in the CAA, and most likely wouldn't have even made the tourney had they not had a strong showing in their conference tourney (losing to ODU in the finals).

The only complaint that I would have about Self's coaching is that he does have everyone wound up a bit too tight, and the team just needs to relax. He even addressed this issue after the Big XII tourney, stating that he was going to make sure this team enjoys the NCAA tourney.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you. It is a nice run being accomplished by talent he didn't even recruit. His best players are 4 seniors and a junior...all recruited by rising-star Anthony Grant...now at Alabama. He no doubt will be getting plenty of interest from the "big name" schools once the run ends. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue this success at the next level.

jaymar74 8 years, 4 months ago

The elite 8 is a career year at many many places including Missouri, K-State, on and on. Self in 8 years at has been to the elite 8 or further 4 times with a national championship. Do you know anything about NCAA basketball or are you just trying to stir a pot that does not exist?

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 4 months ago

i still say everyone returns, that can return. i won't believe the mass exodus, until i see it. We still have three schollies to give right now, and i think Daniels and McLemore take two of them......if everyone leaves, who gets the other six? i just don't see it happening.....next year, we can have the massive turnover...not this year.

with everyone back, we would be an absolute powerhouse next year....we could actually play nine or 10 guys, and just overwhelm teams. C'mon Jayhawks!

100 8 years, 4 months ago

I just think for our Morris twins' life it would be heartbreaking to see them split up for the sake of a contract. Unless they are having trouble putting food on the table, there's really no reason to go to the NBA yet. They have been together 365 days a year 24 hours a day since inception.

There is no reason in the world to leave the best thing you have in your life a year early. Angel, Marcus, Kief (& Trobb now too).

This next year of your life you can never get back. And we love you here. You guys have 30,000 family members here, 16,300 during games. Your family can stay together one more year. It's why God put you here, together. You will leave with a nice contract. But fulfill your mission here, get a degree, and who knows what can happen next year on the basketball court with TT, JS & EJ.

Coach Manning might be a good person to speak with regarding what can happen during a senior year at a 4 year program. It's life. It's why we're here.

After college that's where we find out about separation.

But for now enjoy your 4 years boys, it's the best time to be together in your lives!

Hail_To_Thee 8 years, 4 months ago

Heres my take.

Withey and Teahan - Forget about it. Neither have what it takes, IMO, to start for an elite program. Mop up minutes at most. No disrespect but you have a 8-9 man rotation of highly sought after scholarship recruits most every year.

Twins - I'm on the fence. If I had to chose right now, I say their coming back. With the upset on their minds and a possible lockout of the league, I say they talk themselves in to redemption. But with them both being NBA ready and projected high as they are, that could draw them in.

TRob - Once again, i'm on the fence. Do I think hes ready for the NBA, not yet. Even though he was in foul trouble for most the game, he didnt score a point in the elite 8. Does he have the body and potential to be a Dwight Howard? You bet your sweet arse. Does he have a sister and family responsibilities waying HEAVILY on his mind? Absolutely. But theres no gurantee hes a lock for a first round, which is a big risk in the money department. (see Darrel Arthur) If he ends up not cutting it and is sent to the D league, hes makin 15 grand a year. Not quite the kind of paycheck one would expect to leave school for.

Selby - No question, he'll be back. If he leaves, then it will have deff been a premature decision and everyone envolved in the process of helping him decide will have failed him.

Taylor - No question, he'll be back. 1) Hes already stated it. 2) He needs another year to prepare. Is he ready, possibly. Just feel he needs a little more preparing. He came on strong the last 10 games or so this season. Give him another full season with play like he did the last 1/3 and he'll be a deff first round lock. And this coming from a guy who was critical of him all year.

Mclemore, D Daniels - I say we get one of these two lured in, if not both. Daniels is going to depend on what the Twins and TRob do though i'm sure. Although I do like when self has a 4 big man rotation (excluding Withey).

One individual that I keep forgetting about though is Justin Wesley. I was extremely impressed with him at Late Night this year. At 6'8, I think he will be a pleasant suprise if we end up losing the Twins and/or TRob.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Lots of discussion post-game. I wanted to summarize my thoughts and would be interested in what others have to say here. My thoughts below are related to failures in March. My assumption is that the ultimate goal is to win the national championship, and that is what you build to. For those that are happy with this season, you should read something else. A 21-point salute. 1. Winning Every Game: I have said many times here that coach Self seems preoccupied with winning every regular season game. That may seem like a silly statement – of course he wants to win every game, right? But such an approach, as it gravitates to the extreme, can cause a coach to disregard player development, to disregard preparation for March, to focus only on the here and now without due regard to the big picture, without regard to March. That is, choosing players that he is comfortable with. Choosing players that satisfy what he needs to win the game at hand. But what does that do? That causes him to neglect those that may not serve that immediate purpose, may be more risky at the time (to win that particular game), but players that in the end, have more upside and diversity. 2. Conservative Coach: At his heart, coach Self is perhaps the most conservative coach many of us will encounter. There is very little he has ever done than can be termed “risky” or “taking a chance.” Conservative coaches go with what they are comfortable with. They run the same schemes, they characterize their team as one thing, they stick to philosophies no matter what the group of players. Players fit their system. The don’t adapt to the players. Conservative coaches are averse to risk .. they would rather limit the downside as opposed to rolling the dice and shooting for a higher upside. This suits coach Self to a T. It is his being. 3. Defensive Coaches Are Conservative: At the heart of his conservative nature is his defense first philosophy. It is tried, it is true. It is a simple approach. It does not require risk. The defensive coach wants to manage the game. The defensive coach does not want too many variables. If he can stop the other team, then he limits the downside. Always having a chance to win. It is Marty Schottenheimer football. It is Bill Self basketball. 4. Coach Self Is A Conservative Defensive Coach: When you look at KU’s approach to defense, it too is a conservative approach. It does not involve risk. Those that take chances to create turnovers are many times punished. Those that work outside of the scheme don’t play. Those that fail in any aspect of the defensive philosophy receive very few minutes. Perhaps most telling is that Coach Self does not trap the short corner or the post to create a turnover. He traps it to stop a player that we can’t control. His defensive philosophy is reactionary, it does not seek to create offense, it seeks to prevent it. Unlike the pressing team, defense does not create offense.

kkoenig 8 years, 4 months ago

to #1 above: looking at this season, say you lose 2 or 3 additional games during the season (maybe one out, two in conference), where does that leave the team, depending on when and who they lose to maybe in the top 10 or 15 and no B12 regular season championship. Seeding won't be statistically favorable for the NCAA tournament, maybe a 4 or 5. Tougher road based solely on higher seeds they are bound to meet. Might get by a 1 seed with a whole week to prepare, but less likely with only a few days. Kids will be looser, but have lost to a number of equal or better teams during the season so the confidence won't necessarily be there. You're banking on playing more relaxed from a lower seed but without some of the success in defeating "better" teams earlier in the season. Loose vs confident seems to be the trade-off here. Once Selby didn't pan out immediately (from the start of the season and then following his suspension) Self never felt confident in having a team out there this year without Reed or Morningstar, mostly Morningstar. That had to be based not on his athletic upside, one-on-one skills, or multidimensional threats, but rather on his doing Self's bidding on the court most effectively (e.g., play through the Morris twins, able to hit shots on occasion). Self wanted "leaders" of the sort he felt he had in Reed and Morningstar, something Johnson, Releford, and Selby couldn't give him, in his (and maybe the other coaches') view.

Robert Murphy 8 years, 4 months ago

I have to say,HighElightMajor, I think you are totally full of sh-t. Bill self is one of the greatest modern day college basketball coaches. It's the players that make the difference and that's the truth. You can't get it in the basket, you lose. There is nothing wrong with coach Self's system.

JRandall 8 years, 4 months ago

Could not agree more. HEM and master JayBate.. wherever he is r morons. I have never come across people that love to hear / read their own opinions and just go on and on about non-sense.

Love that JayBate thinks that Coach Self sends out the team FLAT.. so they can come out pumped up for better teams.. These 2 guys I would bet have never played organized sports.

Coach Self is a great coach, frustrating at times, but he has the job and the record, titles, NC to prove his worth and resume. Any college program in the country would give their right nut to get Self away from KU.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

JRandall: I offer my opinions, typically, in 1/10th the space that Jaybate does; and Jaybate has a much greater beadth of topics. I focus more on certain aspects of the game. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jaybate simply because he takes up a lot of type-space. I agree with you on the "send them out flat" thing .. I don't buy it.

To suggest that my post goes on and on about "non-sense" is to ignore evidence. You are not looking beyond the surface. Am I suggesting that all of my opinions are correct? No. But they are my opinions based on intensely following this program, and this coach.

To your bet on organized sports, you would lose that bet in a significant way with respect to me. And if you were to suggest a bet regarding coaching in the same manner, you would also lose that bet with respect to me.

And like many who blindly root for the home team, you miss the point. But that's your choice.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

I respect your opinion .. but I think your thought process is inconsistent.

On one hand, you say Self is one of the greatest modern day basketball coaches; on the other hand you say that players make the difference.

A college coach has the luxury of picking his own players. At the very least, he does not have to take anyone he does not want.

But for you to dismiss the fact that a great coach can have flaws is to subscribe to the Self is God theory. If that's your theory, then you should simply bow down and kiss his ring. If you don't think he's perfect, thus that he has flaws, it is a perfectly reasonable pursuit to try to identify those on a site such as this .. it would seem.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) 5. Coach Self and Coach Williams Are Polar Opposites: As an aside, there is no doubt, Roy and coach Self are opposites. We have seen both of the near extremes here. Roy will just as soon shoot in the first 10 seconds of shot clock, understanding that misses are not as big of a deal because he is creating more possessions due to his up tempo style. Self cringes at that. 6. Offensive Conservatism: Coach Self is as conservative offensively as he is defensively. He feeds the post. He values every possession. He strictly constructs the movement of the ball. He flips out on every missed shot or out of control play. He has little patience for creativity. Really, his overreactions to poor shots is a reflection of his approach. He micro-manages every possession after the fact. It is about getting the perfect look. 7. Brady Morningstar: Brady became a lightning rod because he was at the heart of coach Self’s conservative philosophy when it comes to coaching. Brady was and always has been the safe choice. The guy who won’t make many mistakes, who will surely focus on his teammates, who busts his butt on defense. “Glue” some would say. Many on the other side of the Brady debate than I didn’t understand the disagreements with Brady in the lineup. Maybe they do now. The core of my position on Brady was that he did not have requisite upside to deserve his minutes. My position was always that we needed to look toward March. To develop a player that had more overall attributes. Who was more versatile and diverse. That Brady’s attributes could be replaced by someone who could do more on the court overall. Travis Releford, for example. A 6-6 3 man with excellent defensive skills, who could guard the big 3 player, one that could hit the 3, could slash to the basket, who was more athletic, who could develop into a better player by March. I also felt that we would have a game where Brady’s simple physical limitations would kill this team. VCU was it. But I was more concerned with a better VCU type team .. a top 20 caliber team that would expose him. Where a few three balls that Brady would make wouldn’t matter. Or with physical team that would overmatch him. Like Michigan St. in 2009. One might make similar arguments as they relate to Reed. But Reed was hurt, and it showed. But Reed played 34 minutes “with a rock in his shoe.” Seriously. 8. The VCU Game Was Releford’s Calling: No way I could have predicted such a perfect storm. But the VCU game was Releford’s calling. We had no one on the defensive side to match the size of their 3. We were sorely lacking in athleticism vs. their excellent athletes with Brady and an injured Tyrel. And we did not have a slasher outside of Tyshawn. Jaybate made the excellent point before the VCU game .. that Releford was made for this situation. Excellent observation. He was, and he stayed on the bench.

B_Real 8 years, 4 months ago

You are spot on about Morningstar. A good team player but not a great player. Releford would have made our team more dynamic this year. He's bigger, quicker, a better defender, and shoots as well if not better from 3, and definately a better finisher in the paint.

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

In addition, Mario should've been playing at his natural position, the 3, instead of out of position at the 4 all year. A split between Travis & Mario at the 3 would've meant 20 pt/game. Who plays a passer over a scorer at the 3? That would have freed up minutes for Withey at the post. Why can't a 7 footer with a soft touch who can run the floor and block shots get off Bill's bench? I've never seen him look bad in 2-3 minutes he occasionally got. He'll be a better offensive player than Cole (if he ever gets a chance) and as good a shot blocker.

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

Even when he threw it off the bottom of the backboard and it bounced back into his face...you never saw him look bad?

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

You're right! He did look bad on a shot once! To the bench with him!

Of course, in your usual zeal to counter me, you've totally missed the point of the post about giving young players a chance to make mistakes and learn and grow from them. Congrats!

kkoenig 8 years, 4 months ago

Releford failed Self in some serious way this year. Before his ankle injury he was primed to take over some of Morningstar's minutes alongside Selby. He didn't come back from the injury like Self wanted him too, either physically or mentally (didn't play through the pain or whatever). And here is the double whammy: Releford fails Self and Self realizes Selby can't be the contributor he had hoped he would be (for whatever reason, injury, confidence, team). Nothing left to do but play the guys that are winning (and with a few made shots against VCU would still be playing) for him. I'd like to know the reason why Self dropped Releford. It may not make sense to someone outside of Self and the coaches, but it wasn't because Self didn't think he had the basketball skills.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) 9. Prep Needed: But was Releford ready? I say no. Releford was not as ready as he should have been. And this goes to the core of Self’s coaching approach. He disregards March for immediate gratification of a league win, or a non-con victory. He refuses to develop players. To put them in crunch time situations. To permit them to fail. To permit them to put his team in a worse position. To permit them to .. hold your breath here .. to permit them to actually cost us a win. Why should he risk a game? Very simple .. to permit them to grow as a player, and to permit him to learn who actually is the best player. Releford is a better player right now than Morningstar. Self hitched his wagon to Brady, and 32 minutes later, poof. And he hitched it to an injured Reed. Same thing. Poof. We were out-athleted by VCU. 10. This Is Easy: Anyone that thinks this is hard has simply not coached. From the little league coach that lets a kid pitch who is horrible, and lets him get experience to develop, to the high school football coach that lets the sophomore quarterback play over the senior because he has more talent and will make the team better come state playoff time, it is done all the time. It is pure fiction to think that there is some difference between D-1 basketball and other levels when it comes to commitment to developing players. The difference is pressure and level of play. How many NFL teams play the younger, inexperienced QB to get him experience, so he can take his lumps? Happens at every level. There is pressure to win. And whether a coach .. coach Self .. is willing to stomach the risk associated with such an approach. Coach Self would still be playing Brett Favre and would not have switched to Aaron Rodgers.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) 11. Boxscores: The boxscore tells everything. Find me an example of a comparable boxscore to the VCU game this season. Where the starters all play 32+ minutes. Unbelievable. The only comparable boxscore is the Texas game in KC, but Kieff played only 22 minutes. Those that say coach Self choked are being harsh. And that is somewhat of an inflammatory word. But find a better one. Coach Self’s handling of substitutions, his reversion to conservatism, his constriction of the rotation, demonstrates what occurred. He got way tight. He got taken out of his normal game. He panicked. His thought processes were affected by the sheer enormity of the situation. The word is choke. Do you think the players sensed that? It is no different than Reed and Morningstar and their shooting. The enormity of the situation got the better of them. It is no different than Sherron and Tyshawn vs. UNI. Substituting as you have before, liberal use of subs, permits your starters to relax on the bench. To refocus. It is coaching 101. Sorry for those that think Self is God, but he blew it. Your high school basketball coach will tell you the same thing. And sometimes, you catch lightning in a bottle with the subs. They have to have the chance. Self tightened up in a tight game. 12. EJ: Elijah Johnson is another example that demonstrates Self’s choke. Think about all the praise. Think about every positive thing Self said about EJ down the stretch. Think about EJ’s play, and his defense. Self’s words meant nothing. And I predicted it. It was all talk. I predicted it because I know Self. In the end, Self reverted to his security blankets .. Reed, Morningstar, and Taylor. EJ played a total of 6 minutes vs. VCU (and 4 minutes vs. Texas). A 40% 3 point shooter. 6 freaking minutes. A guy who could give us a different look. But no. Too risky. Did anyone notice that neither Reed, nor Brady, wanted to shoot in the last 3 minutes? 13. Ego: Most of us give coach Self a free pass. He’s our guy. But tell me when you have heard him ever take the blame? Wouldn’t it have been nice to hear him get to the podium and say that it was his fault (whether it was or not)? To say that he didn’t have his team prepared. That he was the one who was ultimately responsible. Again, whether true or untrue. What we heard is coach Self saying our transition defense was poor, etc. Then he belittled his players by stating if they were playing shirts and skins you couldn’t tell the difference in the players. That is a coach who is not taking responsibility. That is disappointing. Be a man. We’ll see what the press conference brings.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) 14. Preparation/Being Tight: Let’s get right to this .. was this team prepared for VCU? Obviously not. And this goes to two levels. First, was our gameplan and prep solid? I don’t know. All I know is that VCU was not a mystery. Watch them play. But there is no way of knowing if the players were properly prepped on the X’s and O’s. My guess is that they were. But why did VCU get so many open opportunities? Guys, VCU shot less than 40% from the field. It’s not like they pulled a Villanova on Georgetown. Did you notice that .. less than 40%. Guess what … UNI shot a measly 40%, too. But more importantly, second, were we mentally prepared .. I mean emotionally ready? No way. This goes back to Bucknell, this goes back to Bradley, this goes back to Davidson, this goes back to UNI, this goes back to Boston U., and this ruined our season vs. VCU. For whatever reason, coach Self creates a tightness in his teams in situations where they should win. We see it in the regular season. We see it in the well accepted characteristic of Self’s teams .. we play down to our opponent. That is a coaching characteristic, too. We blow out UNC days after nearly choking one off vs. Davidson. Sure, there are exceptions. We pummeled Richmond, right? All I know is that there is a clear and undeniable pattern. And coach Self’s teams play down to their opponents. And guess what, they play up to opponents, too. That tells me something. It is coaching. 15. A Coach’s Job: It is a coach’s job to have his team ready. To create loose play. You hear about coaches who have the kids play a touch football game, or who play an X-box tournament, or who go spit off a bridge into the river, who do something to get their minds off of the situation. To relax them. What did coach Self do? He put copies of the UNI Sports Illustrated in their lockers. Absolutely stupid move. Sorry, but dumb as dirt. You have inspired constriction and worry. Look, if you have a team that is a focused team, who has blinders, who is mentally tough, who are men .. the UNI Sports Illustrated could be a focuser. But you don’t. You have a team that is not mentally tough to begin with, that has multiple mental blunders from DUIs, to girl friend flaps, to assaults, to stupid tweets, to fights with the football team, to things going on under the bleachers at Allen, to dumb elbows, etc. And you have a team that is comprised totally, but for Selby, of guys who yacked it last season vs. UNI, right? I remember Quinn Snyder saying that he couldn’t coach effort. Amazing. This is amazing too. Coach Self has failed multiple times in simply relaxing his team. The proof is not in the loss. The proof is in who we have lost to, how. Any difference between UNI and VCU? Poor shooting to the degree we saw in both games just doesn’t happen. It is created, or inspired. On the cusp of the final four, the great 2008 team played tight as a drum vs. Davidson. One shot away from another collapse, but it didn’t go in.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

1. Selby: Without a single doubt in my mind, Self completely mismanaged Josh Selby. Top player coming in .. at least top 10 .. and this is all you get from him? Look, the guy you saw vs. USC was Josh Selby. Until Self deconstructed him. That was not what he wanted. Coach Self did not want a go-to guy. Self destroyed him. Why? Because he threatened his system. This is subject to debate, of course. I am sorry, but what fool plays Brady Morningstar over Josh Selby? Only one. You find a place for Selby. You don’t find reasons not to play him. And you can point to Selby’s play, or a turnover, or whatever. But I can point to the fact that only one coach coached Selby this season .. Bill Self. Look at Calipari. Look what he has done with freshmen. Many of them. Back to some topics above, he gave Selby little chance to develop, was impatient, benched him multiple times … why? Because Selby didn’t fit into the little box Self had premade for him. Selby was much like the Army recruit who is torn down, to be built in the mold of the system … but Selby was never rebuilt. He remained torn down. The results are undeniable.
  2. Final Fours: One final four in 8 seasons. Think about that. Coach Self has coached us to 4 number one seeds. 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011. Amazing regular season feats. But only one ended in a final four. North Carolina has had 13 number one seeds and 8 reached the final four. Duke has had 12, and 6 reached the final four. Kentucky 4 of 10 #1 seeds. Self, 1 of 4. Percentages aren’t even close.
  3. Patterns: Look at our losses with the four number one seeds in Self’s tenure. With two, we lost in the elite 8. And with one, we lost in the round of 32. But look at our losses. Against UCLA, we score a season low 55 points in 2007. Against UNI, we score our second lowest point total of the season. Against VCU, we score our season low point total. And just for fun, we scored our season low point total vs. Davidson in the 2010 Elite 8. Patterns mean something. This pattern means something. It is the second game of a weekend in each case. But why the low point totals? We know why. Don’t we? Coach Self creates tightness, or a lack of “looseness.”

DLM 8 years, 4 months ago

Well said on the handling of Selby. I believe that will hurt our chances for landing future big time recruits. These types of recruits are allowed to make mistakes and flourish at UK, Duke & NC.

Hank Cross 8 years, 4 months ago

Look at this clip of Selby highlights before Self. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRp6f... Yet Self thought Brady had more upside. It's really no wonder Self's name is never attached to NBA rumors.

Hail_To_Thee 8 years, 4 months ago

I have to say that, to try and make a point of how a player can play, based upon a clip of him schooling high school kids is not a good argument. This isnt high school. Dont get me wrong. I said all year that I thought selby should be getting more PT. You dont bring in the rivals top ranked recruit and sit him on the bench. And if you do, you are take a big risk of future top recruits not being interested because lets face it, no top recruit wants to ride pine to a second team player.

Selby could have been our second one and done player. I firmly believe that. He may still be. But if he decides to go now, its not going to be because hes ready. Its going to be because hes tired of sittin bench and did not enjoy himself this season.

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

+1 oxcal. This is the kid who had to ride the pine behind Brady & Tyrel. I especially liked the behind the back move that put the defender on the seat of his pants. Ever see Brady or Tyrel go behind the back? When they do, they have to actually stop and turn around to retrieve the ball. Yes, we won't have to worry about the NBA poaching our coach...

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) 19. Proof In The Pudding: The best example is the Boston U. game. Seriously, Boston U. was a pud team. Sad. And we lead by four at half? And our players say they were tight coming in. See the stupid use of the UNI Sports Illustrated cover, for example. And Coach Self acts dumbfounded, insisting “they said they were loose.” And acting like he didn’t understand. This, my friends, is a flaw. Couple that with is inability or unwillingness to prepare his team with an eye on March, not an eye on winning every regular season game, and you have an Achilles’ heel. 20. In sum, we have a coach who is fanatically focused on winning every regular season game; who values lack of negative over potential upside; who refuses to adequately develop his talent with an eye toward March; who when March arrives is unable to relax his team; and who when March arrives becomes tight himself in the manner in which he handles the team. Couple that with a coach that refuses to take any blame for the failures, and you have … VCU, Bucknell, Bradley, UNI … one final four in 8 seasons. And only one final four to show for 4 number one seeds. 21. Note: Reminder, we are Kansas. We aren’t Pitt getting a number one seed, or Ohio St., or Wake Forest, or some other non-Elite program. We are to be judged in the same breath with the Dukes, the North Carolinas, the Kentuckys. If your goals are mediocre, your achievements will be mediocre. We are an elite program .. you become elite by the final four banners you hang. That is how elite is defined. And National Championships. We can’t just enjoy the ride. For if we do, we are no longer Elite.

planojayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

But if you can't just enjoy the ride, no matter which "Elite" team you choose to cheer for, you will not get much enjoyment in watching sport.

How many FFs and NCs should an "Elite" program has? Are you saying Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, ..., are more "Elite" than KU?

Personally, I would not let my pride robs me of "just enjoy the ride".

Hank Cross 8 years, 4 months ago

Great closing argument HEM. It sums up the season and Self completely. I would add just a few things.

First, don't sell yourself short on saying you could not have predicted the perfect storm - you did, many times. How many times did have to be said that KU need to develop all weapons for all contingencies.

Second, Self's treatment if EJ at the end of the season was a complete botch at best and despicable at worst. When he made EJ the starter, he should've stuck with it if he honestly thought that EJ should be starting. EJ did nothing in the games that he started to demonstrate he couldn't handle the job.

But, that presupposes that the whole EJ-as-a-starter experiment was not just a cheap mind game Self was playing on TT. If it was, Self was acting like a teenage girl who kisses another guy to make her boyfriend jealous.

Speaking of shame, Self didn't do any favors to Brady and Tyrel by leaving them in when it was obvious they were struggling. You have to think that when the basket started looking like a thimble to them, they would've loved someone to come off the bench and save them from being the goats.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

oxcal: Trying to be humble on the perfect storm thing .. but you said the exact same thing, too. When I watched the game, I was like "this is the type of game I've been worried about." It is interesting that those on the "pro-Brady" side of the debate have been silent after crowing for weeks. But this was the type of game where available options were crucial.

The EJ thing you point out is right on point. I just don't get how you can treat a kid like that. I subscribe to your "mind game" theory, and I think I pointed out when this all went down my prediction that TT would be back in as the starter by the Big 12 semis. I was one game off.

Always enjoy your views.

tis4tim 8 years, 4 months ago

HEM,

This is not to rile or cajole or dismiss your points. Your posts are generally well thought out and you have always been consistent in your criticism. While your insights are solid, you seem to have overlooked one thing: 3.

All the flaws, questionable moves, mishandling of players and the eighteen other things that you cite above produced only three losses. The last one just happened to come at a very bad time. Do I think we should stay the course and not make any adjustments? Surely not. Am I trying to tie a ribbon on some shortcomings to try to make them look more appealing? Not in the least.

Teams have bad games and bad games get you beat. We had a bad game; we got beat. That may be a simpleton's way of looking at it, but even simpletons can once in a while find the most unobstructed view. I believe that to be the case here.

Rock Chalk!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

I do see your point on it producing 3 losses .. and 6 losses in two years. The guy can coach.

My whole point is why does this happen in March? There is a reason. And it's not coincidence. I'm not saying my suggestion is definitive, but it's the best I could come up with based on what I've seen and understand about the game and coaching (which some on this site may suggest to be zero).

Hank Cross 8 years, 4 months ago

Even at the last minute this loss might have been averted, but wasn't thanks to Bill reverting to form.

Shaka said that they knew KU was in trouble when they looked winded. Go back to the game against Richmond. That game was decided by at least the halfway through the second. Knowing that they're going to be playing a tough game in less that 48 hours, why not give EJ, Travis and even Withy extended minutes? Give the starters a chance to rest and the bench a chance to get their tourney juices flowing. Nope, don't wan't to risk it.

Or the VCU game itself. When it was obvious that Brady and Tyrel couldn't throw it the ocean and KU was on the ropes, what would've been wrong about going to EJ and Travis and saying, 'This is it. Your one shining moment has arrived. I believe in you. Get it done.' What was the worst that could've happened?

GreyHawker 8 years, 4 months ago

HEM.....Alot of time went into this post....Not only do I appreciate the effort....I couldn't have said it any better!!!

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

~A few possibles. But all bigs appear to require at least a year to develop and gain weight.

~Landing Ben will help.

~There will be some de-commits, too.

~Landing 2 bigs will be crucial, 3 would be best, regardless of how good they are. Self needs 3 developed bigs for the following year.

~Withey can still become a force, but I wish someone would come clean on what really happened to him this season. I've never seen a guy get that weak and lose 30-40 pounds and never have it explained.

~Good Nadiir has grown an inch. :-)

~Taylor, EJ and Travis would be one of the premier perimeters in college hoops next year.

~VCU's hyper conditioning proves starters can be conditioned to play 35 mpg at a balls to the walls pace.

~Backed up by Rolls Royce, Nadiir, Ben and Conner, KU is solid for perimeter depth.

~Still think Jordan Jueneman may come out of the wood work and surprise some people.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

A question: If Releford would be part of a premier perimeter next season, why wouldn't he have been this season? In comparison, we had Taylor, Reed, and Morningstar who weren't a premier perimeter. I ask this curious on your thoughts as I've noted that you seem optimistic on Releford's talent.

If Selby returns, TT, Selby, Releford with EJ off the bench is pretty tough. Problem is, post feeding may be a thing of past as there may be no post to feed!

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Simple.

His game not a good fit with the Twins.

His game was still shaky up until mid season.

The ball stuck in his hands frequently, because he was still on the uptake on learning to make choices under control.

Severe ankle injury at the moment he seemed starting to getting it.

Refusal to play on it injured when he had the open door and Self wanted him to keep playing on it injured.

Self lost confidence in his toughness, because he wouldn't play hurt.

Self gave his spot to Selby, who after a brief hesitation, strapped the boot on and played hurt.

There will always be a post, and post feeding, even if he is 6'5." It is a spatial parameter of the game on a rectangular court with 5 guys and a basket 10 feet high.

Wooden proved the hi lo can work great with a short post...and they fed Freddy Slaughter constantly and ran the same plays as as always.

Frankly, I am kind of jazzed about the prospect of Self maybe having to go with Travis Releford at the post, if TRob jumps. This could be the best thing that ever happened to college basketball if Self opts for a short post, a hi-lo, and adopts Shaka Smart's hyper conditioning.

Shaka Smart has totally altered my thinking with hyper conditioning and havoc defense.

Smart had some serious bigs, so I'm not saying it will work for sure.

And no coach will want to do it if he can help it. Wooden only did it because he got caught with out a true big.

But Self went to the Elite Eight at Tulsa with a very small team and a lot of pressing defense, if I recall correctly.

I'm actually very jacked about next season.

I think Tyshawn is finally street legal.

EJ's neural nets finally grew together enough for him to control over stimulation.

I suspect Travis will be at the same point by the start of next season.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

I need a little downtime before I get jazzed for next season; I'm finally getting the revolver away from my temple and back in the drawer .....

Agreed on VCU's defense .. defense that creates O, creates a pace of game, creates a certain type of game, is way cool, and way effective.

I love the 1-2-1-1 VCU employed. When it gets broken, it's ugly. But when it's done right, it's beautiful.

Good reference on TT .. "street legal" .. I may borrow that without credit to the author.

justinryman 8 years, 4 months ago

It's funny when you are an elite program and yes Kansas is an elite basketball program, that people have to pick on you for losing early in the tournament.

What is forgotten are what what this team accomplished, kept a 22 year consecutive streak alive in the NCAA tournament, 7th straight Big 12 championship with the added bonus of winning the Big 12 tournament. The Big 12 player and coach of the year winners, an Academic All-American first teamer as well. All of this and NO NCAA violations!!!

So ask yourself before you go on bashing them either as a team or individually if you would give that all up just to win an Elite 8 tournament game? There are no guarantees that if you win the Elite 8 you will win in the Final Four and so on. That's why it's called March Madness, not March Easiest.

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

We have two different camps. Some see the entire season as a scrimmage for the national title game. I believe (and this may be closer to coach Self's attitude) that the most important game is the next one. Sure I would love a nc and I respect the other side but I keep going back in my head to the game in Columbia last year; at a very critical time in the second half Reed hit two consecutive threes and had a steal on the other end. It was a fatal blow to MU and changed the game. Would I have traded that wim for a win last Sunday? Nope never. It's just another way of looking at it. Not being critical of anyone elses philosophy but I can tell you this, win you can learn to enjoy the journey as much as the destination you'll be much happier. One last thing. Do I think Self is god? no but by most others expectations god isn't god.

Jabez Harlan 8 years, 4 months ago

Someone in an earlier post hinted at the possibility that KU may have a down year next year.

A down year for Kansas would be a 20 win season instead of a 30 win season, finishing 2nd in the Big 12, losing before the championship of the Big 12 tournament and starting the NCAA tournament with a 4 or 5 seed, then losing in the round of 32 or sweet 16.

Many programs call this success. KU fans would call this mediocrity!

Remember 2006? KU had all those freshman and a relatively new coach and no one expected much out of that team. They were the underdog against many teams. They were the hunters instead of the hunted. They still lost in the first round of the tournament that year, but they won the league which no one expected.

I am ready for KU to have a down year. I am ready for them to become the underdog again against Kentucky, Ohio State, and the like. KU plays better as the underdog without the bulls-eye on its back.

I am excited for next year's team, whatever the roster may be. KU underclassmen always make huge strides in the off-season and become major contributors the following year. Withey, Releford, and EJ will be much improved next year and will surprise a lot of people next year.

FreddyinLA 8 years, 4 months ago

Self needs to start taking responsibility for these season ending losses every year to inferior teams in the only tourney that matters. If he thinks, he can win the weekend game of the tourney playing the starters 30+ minutes, he’s delusional.

Tired legs in the second game shot 10% from the 3. Tired legs shot 50% from the free throw line. The Twins mid-range game melted away vs. VCU because of tired legs. They then tried to make everything at point blank range where you are hacked all the time and rarely get a call.

Why was our bench so bad? This actually started the first 10 games of the season when the starting point guard position was handed to TT with no open competition. After each game, Self told us how well he played despite what we were seeing with our own eyes.

Mid-season the 2 and 3 positions were handed to Reed and Brady. These two played way too many minutes the rest of the year. Reed was a shell of himself at the end. These two would have been perfect coming off the bench. They both understand the game and would know exactly what was needed when they came in.

Now by the end of the year, the reserves knew there was not a level playing field for minutes. Their role on the team was not defined.

Selby was given zero opportunity at point this year. The no. 1 point guard in the country coming out of high school was not allowed to play point. Do not be surprised when he leaves, even though he is far from ready.

The following tactics will turn your bench into non-factors by tourney time: T-Rob, travel or throw the ball away the first time you touch it, take a seat. Little, take an ill-advised shot, get back to the bench. EJ, don’t turn the ball over or your coming out. And please ignore the guy playing in front of you making bad and lazy passes all night staying in the game.

Rele, our best player at the mid-way point before the Twins started blowing up, turns his ankle and never sees the court again.

The reserves should be playing huge minutes in the Big 12 tourney. Who cares if we win. The Big 12 sucks in basketball. Two Final 4 teams since Self had been here. The same number as Butler in the last two years.

The Cal State Northridge coach said after the game VCU won because they had a better bench. The VCU point guard after the game said we were tired at the end of the game. Their comments, not mine.

DWWChiefsfan 8 years, 4 months ago

An update from Dallas/Ft.Worth

Kansas has an oral commitment from Zach Peters who is a Junior at Prestonwood Christian in Plano. He was selected to the Texas TAAP 1-5A first team.

The player that is really impressive is Julius Randle, He also plays for Prestonwood. He is 6-8, 235 Sophomore. He averaged 23.8 points and 12.2 rebounds. Randle is ranked as the No.3 player in the nation for the class of 2013. He and Peters help their team to the TAPPS Division 1 state championship game.

Both were at Late Nite last year.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 4 months ago

Just stick with real recruits, not projects like Reed and Morningstar who wilt in big games.

DocBean 8 years, 4 months ago

Josh Selby needs to look no further then Kemba Walker to see what the right decision is; stick around get it right then move on and make your money.

I don't see why people hate Taylor so much, he's going to have a huge year next year. I believe Taylor, Selby, and Johnson are going to be great.

I've always been a fan of Releford, we play with more energy when he's in the game. I wish Bill would have played him more against VCU. However, I hope he can play the 2 or 3 spot, because he's not a 4.

Robinson should come back. He'll have the type of year that Marcus had this year after Cole left. I'm assuming of course that the Morris Brothers will leave.

We'll be fine.

justinryman 8 years, 4 months ago

What will be will be.

At least we aren't The Cubs or MU Tigers.

Its good to be a Jayhawk

Jayhawk For Life J.F.L.

turbomax 8 years, 4 months ago

Stan Simpson says on Twitter that Coach Self is coming to visit him today. (@Stan_Simpson)

Does anyone else follow him on Twitter? I'm not fond of his comments - making a big deal of who wants him most - Memphis, Kentucky, Kansas or Texas. He has retweeted posts more than once about Memphis' ability to take him to the NBA, treat him like a king, etc. It is clear where his priorities are. And the word 'humble' does not even register with him.

DocBean 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm starting to think we should play a team like Wichita State. That's a lose/lose situation for us. You are supposed to beat them, if you don't you have to hear about it. However, that's been exactly what's been biting us in the tournament.

I think I'd offer to play 1 home this coming year, 1 away the following year, and 1 home the next year. They are a really strong "Mid-Major" and I think an early season away game wouldn't kill us financially. We obviously need some work playing against schools that are hungrier to win then we are.

ny05ks08 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't get what the point is to discuss the next year's team, I can understand if it's just for fun. Because whoever there are, a KU team will sure be better than the team of VCU and/or Butler this year, at least from the point of view of talents, let alone our coaching staff and other resources... So our fans can always and should always be positive about the coming season, and high expectation as well.

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

Shaka Smart ceremoniously burned the February calender page (where they went 3-5) in front of this players. Bill Self stuck the Ali Faroukmenish SI cover in his players faces. Reminding them never to forget their (his) biggest failure. Bill will have a new SI cover to work with next year. What will he do with it? I will burn a KU tshirt today. I can buy a new one next year.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 4 months ago

I can barely listen to the media anymore.... they are gloating over this. I see adjectives like "thugs" and "another spectacular collapse"..... I'm going into hiding.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 4 months ago

Well we did have a spectacular collapse, no doubt about that. And we've got the twins with all of their tattoos talking smack before tourney games, that can certainly be considered thug behavior. Then you add Brady's DUI and trash talking, Mario's arrest, Tyshawn's suspension...you get the picture.

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

HEM - Quite a lengthy post. I have some responses to some of your points.

I would argue that Coach Self does indeed adapt his system to fit his players. This is pretty easy to see comparing last year to this year. Last year we run the offense through Sherron, this year we run it through the post. Last year our post game was not the strength of our team, this year it was, and he schemed accordingly. While it's true that his overall system is probably similar, the emphasis changed, and we saw a team that throughout the year led the nation in field goal percentage. Over the course of an entire season you don't fluke your way into those numbers. So I would argue that the changes he made were for the best, and at least system-wise it put our team in a good position to win.

As to Josh Selby. You say that the guy we saw against USC was Josh Selby, and basically Self broke him down. But look at that USC game more closely. 8 of his 11 shots (including all 5 of his makes) were 3 pointers. So, is it your argument that Self broke down a guy that stood behind the 3 point line like Xavier? If you go back and look at his stats, he was never a proficient shooter inside the arc. 38% on the year, slightly better before the injury, slightly worse after. Combine that with the fact that 48.7% of his shots he took were 3 pointers (which was higher than X had last year, for which so many people blasted him), and I'd ask what did coach Self really do? Doesn't look like he broke him down at all. What happened is that Self was attempting to break him down. We heard earlier in the year from Self that he told Selby he was going to have to be more aggressive. And why not? Self had to be frustrated, bringing in a guy who was dynamic in high school and for the second year in a row his prize recruit wants to camp out behind the 3-point line? He knew Selby had more in him, and was pushing him to be more. And he was improving. During a 5 game stretch Selby shot 48% from inside the line. Then the injury happened. After the injury he regressed, never shooting well again inside the arc, and losing his shooting touch from beyond it. If anything I would argue that the injury derailed Selby's season. The stats are all there to back this up. One can argue that Self should have put him on the ball more (as I often did during the season), but Self got great returns from Tyshawn Taylor down the stretch, and the numbers show that Selby had it in him to succeed playing off the ball, before the injury.

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) As for Releford and EJ, I think we saw the same things out of them that we saw in Selby (and Xavier). Players that were all too willing to camp out behind the line. Of Travis's shots, 47% came from beyond the arc. With EJ it was 59.7%. Why? These are probably the two most athletic guys on the team, and they wouldn't drive the ball. Surely given the amount of time here they were not still adjusting to the speed of the college game. Self already had players who he trusted more to take those outside shots, and my guess is that he felt neither player was giving him something he couldn't get from somewhere else.

And finally, I think while there are certainly things that can be illustrated from the Davidson game, to constantly point to it and say "if they make that shot..." and discount the '08 Championship is wrong. As has been pointed out earlier on this thread, both Kentucky and Butler are only a missed shot away from watching the Final Four at home as well. Certainly no one would say that their accomplishments are diminished over a close call earlier in the tournament.

Now, there is plenty of blame to lay at the feet of coach Self. Earlier I said that system-wise we were put in a good position to win. I believe that. This system could have won a National Championship this year. However, I completely agree that he plays to win every game more than he does to develop his bench players. Personnel-wise we were not put in the best position. I had said all year long that I believed we were an elite 8 team, because I didn't think we had that dynamic guard to carry the team for stretches that we would need to get to the Final Four. Now, if you would have told me Tyshawn would finish the season in as strong fashion as he did I would have thought we were probably OK. However, what I did not anticipate was the disappearance of Tyrel and Brady, and them playing the minutes they did. Maybe one of them, but certainly not both. And because there had been very little development of Travis and EJ (beyond the little confidence building period surrounding TT's suspension, which I also said was just lip service and in fact was probably more of a motivational tool for TT), Coach Self had no where to turn when those two went ice cold. However, he should have put in somebody else that was less likely to keep jacking up shots, until the very end where I agree they looked scared to shoot. At least with someone else in there, even if they miss their shots, the volume of missed shots would have decreased. Now would that have led to us getting better shots from other players. I don't know. But we do know that Brady and Tyrel jacking up a combined 16 shots didn't work. To leave them in there playing the minutes they did was an egregious coaching mistake of monumental proportions.

Theutus 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm in the middle of some work so don't have a ton of time to comment on the whole thing, but I wanted to put my .02cents in on the whole "Travis and EJ shooting beyond the arc and not driving" thing...

The reason they don't drive is because of Self. It's blatantly obvious when they come into the game they play under the mindset of "Just don't make a mistake, just don't be the one to make a mistake" because if they do, they get yanked for the remainder of the half. That's how it was. Meanwhile you have Taylor throwing the ball away right and left with absolutely no repercussions...

It's been this way with Self year after year... He picks his favorites (Sherron, Xavier, now Taylor etc) and they can do nothing to take them out of the starting role. That little stunt where Taylor was suspended, we all knew what it was, EJ never stood a chance at keeping that spot.

So what are these guys to do? They play it safe and maybe see some more court time, or they risk driving committing a charge or something and not seeing the court again until the next half if they are lucky.

That's what myself and HEM have been complaining about all season, the fact that Self doesn't hold his players to the same standards at all. I could understand this if you are dealing with huge gaps in potential, but we aren't.

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

Well I'd agree with a lot of what you're saying (having "favorites", yanking guys too soon), but what I don't buy is that EJ was not driving it was because for fear of getting yanked. When Tyshawn was suspended he knew he was staying in the game. Yet he still NEVER drove to the hoop. You're right, I knew it was all lip service saying EJ was the starter, but he had a couple of games where Tyshawn was in street clothes. Where was all this ability then? What's blatantly obvious to me is he doesn't have it. Yes we were all enamored with EJ's youtube dunk clips when he arrived, but he hasn't yet figured out how to translate athletic ability onto the basketball court at the college level, save for a couple of backdoor ally-oop dunks.

The argument that they didn't drive to the hoop for fear of being yanked is pretty thin anyway. My point was that too high of a percent of their shots were from beyond the arc. Was missing those shots not also reason to yank them? Of course it was, because to Self he wants it to get the ball inside. So them shooting 25 foot jumpers is just as bad as any of the sins you claim they were afraid to commit by driving the ball. If you're going to shoot, and all we ever hear is how athletic these guys are, why not drive to the hoop to get a better look?

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

(cont) What might be considered here is that Self's team's typically struggle in the tournament on the short turnaround. Davidson and Memphis in '08 we struggled with, yet had no problems with Carolina. UNI last year. No problems with Richmond, yet didn't respond to the scouting report against VCU. The struggles typically seem to come with only one day in-between games. What does this speak to? I think it speaks at least a little bit to a lack of preparation, and a little bit to the inability of the coaching staff to adjust on the fly during these games. When something isn't working, it typically takes them longer to find the answer. In the Big 12 this isn't an issue, as Self knows the coaches, their styles, and their players. It's why he can win games in succession during the Big 12 tournament, or on short Saturday to Monday turnarounds. So I'm hoping he can realize this and make whatever adjustments he needs to make to fix this deficiency in his coaching style.

I haven't given up on him. Final Fours are great, but without the championship is it really that much better of an accomplishment than an elite 8? We're programmed to think so, with the tournament being billed as "the road to the Final Four", and yes people hang banners for them, but to me a loss in the Final Four is still a loss. So while Self may not be averaging as many Final Fours as Roy did during his time here, he brought us a title, something Roy never did. I am hopeful we can hang on to some of the players who are considering leaving, if not all of them. I could see anything happening - all of them leaving, none of them leaving, or just a couple. I'm ready to see next year's team, minus Brady and Tyrel. Which is not a slam/"good riddance" to them. I am grateful for their time here, and enjoyed watching them play. But I am excited at the prospect of finally seeing Releford, EJ, and maybe some new recruits, and what they can do.

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm with HEM. Bill Self panicked and he choked. Just like last year. (what was that term I used last year?)

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Always enjoy your opinions. Your suggestion on the short-turnaround issue is exactly what Self touched on in his press conference, though only saying he'd look at it.

I think the short turnaround in March is different than the Big 12 tournament because of the familiarty with the opponent and that lack of relative pressure. We have a big book on each Big 12 team, and there really is no real pressure.

Your points on Brady and Tyrel is excellent .. playing one, but not both. Those two could have platooned essentially. I remember Self saying that he welcomed Selby because Reed was over-exposed by the minutes he was playing .. remember that?

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

I definitely remember him saying that. I was right there with you in saying Tyrel & Brady were playing too many minutes/game, although I stopped shouting it maybe during the last couple of games of the regular season, simply because nothing was going to change and it was beating a dead horse. It is humorous to think of all the people after every good performance Brady had coming on the message boards and puffing out their chests with the "where are all the Brady haters now?", yet as soon as anyone points a finger at him for his performance during the VCU game they play the "we wouldn't even be here without Brady!" card. Bottom line - when Tyrel and Brady are 1st & 3rd in minutes played for the season...something is wrong (especially considering Tyrel's injury).

Chris Bruning 8 years, 4 months ago

coaching staff's inability to adjust on the fly huh? Yeah cuz Self and Manning and Dooley were throwin up ugly bricks all day huh. I would have rather had Kurtis Townsend at the free throw line rather than Tyrel Reed (80+% FTS) brick city cost us this game. PERIOD..................................................................................

oh and poor 1st half D

danmoore 8 years, 4 months ago

I think the reasons the mid-majors have been so tough on Coach Self is threefold. They typically have a higher ratio of upperclassmen. They finish their conference tournaments a week earlier and are better rested. But the biggest reason is, they are playing with house money. Teams like VCU and Northern Iowa have nothing to lose. The VCU coach said their goal was to win two games in the tournament, a feat never accomplished by their program. The pressure must have been unbearable.

I’m not blaming the tournament. It doesn’t matter if you play North Carolina or North Carolina Community College but the NCAA has made a mockery of the regular season. Playoff teams should be exclusive and elite, that’s what playoffs are supposed to be. The NFL, the most popular and successful sports model in the country does not allow teams like the Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions in post season play for a reason.

Brett Forreal 8 years, 4 months ago

Mediocre guards aren't going to win it all. Yes you may have a good season, but not with Reed and Morningstar at guards. Say what you want to say, but it is the truth. This was a weakness all year long and I knew it would doom us, but I kept it into the back of my mind. Just hoping the weakness of the bracket would be enough. Next year we are back to the hardest bracket. Taylor came on strong late, but still he couldn't overcome the weakness of having Reed and Morningstar as starters. I love KU and fellow Kansas players, but look at the guards in the final four. Not saying it was only bec. of Reed and Morningstar that we lost. But VCU's mid major guards out played our two mid major guards. I can't believe we had Selby as a #1 guard prospect and he was barely used towards the end of the season. Should have been starting over both the above mentioned. But that is Self's style start the seniors over underclassman. This is hurting our recruitment and Selby will be used against us by other coaches.

Selbyville 8 years, 4 months ago

Can we discuss how bad the officials were on Sunday please??

LeadTrader 8 years, 4 months ago

Taylor Has a Ton of Game. He just needs to stay Disciplined and Focused. Robinson is a BEAST and am going to Love watching them both in the NBA one day. They all come back for one more Year and 5 of them are 1st Rounders with a RING.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 4 months ago

danmoore, but if you take all the elite teams and have a "playoffs" then march madness just isn't the same, there would be no 88' championship banner in Allen Fieldhouse either. We just have to win games like we do all year long when they count, and lets look at the positives. We looked DONE FOR in the big 12 in February, but we will print 2011 on the banner on late night this oct. We stormed through the Big 12 tourney, 35 wins. It's a loooong year and this was a very successful one.

Brett Forreal 8 years, 4 months ago

Jocelyn Kennedy 8 years, 4 months ago

Wouldn't trade my season tix and all those home wins plus going to the Big 12 Championship game for anything - it was a great ride and we should all be proud of our boys!! Every year we say it will be a building year next year and look where we end up! I want everyone that can to stay and have another incredible six months to enjoy! Of course I am sad not to go to Houston, but let's be proud of our accomplishments!! It was a strange tournament and we were not the only #1 seed to fall. Hope the twins pick Family Over $$. and come back!!

danmoore 8 years, 4 months ago

@RCJ I agree, 35 wins, a conference title and one of the last 8 remaining teams is a successful season. No complaints here.

Hard to argue your point about the 88 season. I would still rather have about 32 teams with round robin play. We may not have 1988 but we might have other title(s) to take its place.

100 8 years, 4 months ago

68 team field is stupid. 64 is perfect. 32 is OK but we'll never go back to that.

16 I liked in it's time. I like it now if it's best 2 out of 3 to reveal the better team.

64 to me is perfect. 128 leaves one round all by itself, which isn't practical.

The only remaining possibility is 256. 4 different weekends instead of the three we have now and no one can complain. Heck if the tournament will be this big of a deal, let's go big.

68 sucks. 64 is perfect. 16 was perfect. 256 could be the future....

But there was nothing like making the Elite 8, by simply making the field, as was the case for many many years.

danmoore 8 years, 4 months ago

Might not have 2008 either but in the post Ted Owens era I believe there have been more than two seasons where KU, if given the chance in a true playoff format would have proven to be the best team in college.

TRUEKUFAN 8 years, 4 months ago

If you complain about Coach Self and the players after this season, you should be ashamed. None of the 1 and 2 seeds made it to the final 4. That's 8 pretty good programs. Be happy with the season you had instead of finding fault.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Still alot of Self Blame going on. Saying he should take the blame, honestly I don't anyone should take the blame simply for the nature of sport. You lose, you shoot bad it happenes. But to me where we lost the game was about in the first 4 minutes. We had a fantastic start. We were up 6-2. Morii was domintating the post, we go inside again and the defense collapsed, we kicked it out, wide open three and clank. Than the next drive same thing happens. Instead of being a 12-2 game, it went to 6-5. When you have open shots that you usually make, you shoot them. We just missed. Taking blame doesnt change the result.

Now unto recruits, im confused. Ive been doing some brief research on D. Daniels. Now from what ive read, he has the skill set of the 3. It seems to me that he would be a great winger, something that if you have in selfs system works out really well. (Brandon Rush). But they say he will play the 4 in college. Need help understanding that.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 4 months ago

In my opinion, and its just my opinion, i think we lost the game when Mc. Morris fouled the three point shot, and dude sank all three FT's. He barely touched his wrist after the shot (which was missed) and we had the crowd and momentum. That little touch foul i think hurt the worst.......

Kye Clark 8 years, 4 months ago

This is what I'm convinced some posters are doing, because it's happened for two years in a row - early on they're finding something they don't like about the way the team is run, something they know will not change throughout the season (like Withey riding the bench, or not having a 12 man rotation), then harping on it all year just to say at the end "I told you so, and Bill Self is an idiot." There are certainly valid criticisms and differences of opinion, but some of these things are so unlikely, yet because they don't happen people think they'll come off as geniuses when we don't win a championship.

Also, while I have pointed out some of the mistakes I perceived Coach Self making, it is OK to fault the players for some of this. I know because they're college "kids" that everyone is a little more tentative to assign them any blame, but guys it's not a video game. It's not as if Coach Self has total and absolute control over how these guys perform. At the end of the day mistakes were made by both coach and players alike, and if you don't like acknowledging that about college players then watch the NBA.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Post up Taylor and EJ on Rodriguez any time during the game and keep doing it and we would have won that game by 10-15 easily, even with 9.5% trey shooting and fatigue and trouble breaking the press.

Rodriguez was the key to their offense. He got the ball to Skeen and he made some plays himself. If he had had to guard someone in scoring position constantly, he would have worn down and and been fouled up and had to sit most of the middle 20 minutes, or foul out at the ten minute mark.

Shaka would have had to go zone constantly. We would have killed them in a zone over the long hall.

In Okie Ball, if you don't take what they give you all the way to the hilt, you lose every time.

When a team plays a 5'10" PG against a 6'4" PG they are giving the post up.

From the moment Self did not take it, he was giving up the single greatest MUA he had.

On a cold shooting day, you have to go to the next option.

When they are fouling the bigs on every inside shot, you have to go to the next option.

The next option was posting up Rodriguez and score on him until they shifted to a zone.

Once they zoned, then come with Little high and cut the zone to pieces inside.

This game was there to be won without any playing of slim percentages.

Self just had to take what was given.

For some reason, he did not.

Season over.

Start recruiting.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

disagree, Rodriquez was not very effective during this game. Size with guards really doesnt matter to much, Isiah Thomas from washington comes to mind, or Walker from flordia. Rodiquez is quicker than both EJ and Taylor. Our problem came on missing the open shots and them making them. Im sure that once Taylor posted on on taylor than you lose a perimeter defender on the court where they have 5 shooters. Plus the used the pick well. If we just hit our shots we win by 20 because it makes them play defense and Morii would have had 1 on 1. But instead the VCU players gave us the open threes because they knew we would miss. A risk on their part, but High Risk, High Reward.

JayhawkMafiaFamily 8 years, 4 months ago

What we as KU fans need to start to realize is that the Big XII conference is not as strong a basketball conference as we would like to think it is. We all want to think that the center of the basketball universe is in Lawrence KS but that simply is not true. We like to hang our hat on the fact that we have won the Big XII regular season crown 7 years straight but the truth is that having one dominant team for so long is not good for the league. The Big East is far superior to the Big XII in basketball and has far more parity among the schools in regards to regular season championships over the last decade. With the recent emergence of "mid-major" schools, KU's grip on basketball dominance is losing even more traction. Besides Reed and Morningstar, most of our players are coming from urban areas of the East Coast and Midwest (New York, Maryland, Philadelphia, Chicago). Kansas is not a hotbed for highly recruited basketball talent. I guess my point is we should not be so surprised when we coast through a non conference schedule sheltered by the confines of Allen Fieldhouse and a conference schedule of 16 games against teams that we consistently dominate year in and year out just to get to the NCAA tournament to choke against a mid-major or mid-level program from a better conference.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Problem with the big east being far supperior is that many of the big east teams lost to mid level talent teams. Your right about us choking. But I think it says far more about parity than anything else. Look at Kentucky, best talent in the nation, but a low princton team almost takes them out. Look at the SEC, Kentucky has had the talent to be the top of that league for 10 years but they havent. No matter what conference you are in, 7 strait is a great feat. Texas is a bad call away from playing duke in the sweet 16. So we have a good conference, we just have to understand talent is more spread out then ever. That Butler Point Guard could start on any team. But he still plays for a mid major.

Gig 8 years, 4 months ago

Jeff, In addition to gaining weight, I suggest you also run about an hour of steps every day at Memorial Stadium, and spend an hour jumping rope every day.

Craig Colgin 8 years, 4 months ago

And don't go anywhere any time without a basketball in your hands.

squawkhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Lucky for Bill Self that Big Lew is now gone. Otherwise his head would be on the chopping block.

squawkhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

danmoore 8 years, 4 months ago

You gotta be kidding. No way Lew or any AD would ax Bill.