Monday, March 28, 2011

Loss hits Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed particularly hard

Kansas head coach pats senior guard Tyrel Reed on the as the Jayhawks leave the court after falling to Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. VCU

video thumbnail

Kansas fell to Virginia Commonwealth in an Elite Eight matchup Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 71-61 loss to VCU on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar talk to reporters following VCU's 71-61 victory over Kansas on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

— When he returned to the locker room following Kansas University’s 71-61 loss to VCU on Sunday, KU senior guard Brady Morningstar knew he had to say something.

Morningstar, who had entered the room with tears in his eyes, stood up in front of his teammates while many of them still had their heads buried in their hands.

“I just told the guys ... I just told the guys I love them to death,” Morningstar said, wiping away tears. “Everything we’ve been through, we’re still a team, whether you win or lose.”

For Kansas natives Tyrel Reed and Morningstar, Sunday’s loss was made more difficult after both had tough shooting games.

Morningstar, a 50-percent field-goal shooter, went 1-for-7 from the floor and 0-for-3 from three-point range.

Reed, a 38.8-percent three-point shooter, made just one of seven threes and one of nine shots overall.

“We’re never going to wear the jersey again. We’re never going to feel what it’s like to be a Jayhawk and be on that court, representing Kansas,” Reed said. “It’s tough. Point-blank, it’s tough.”

Reed’s 11.1 field-goal percentage was his lowest mark of the season.

“I didn’t play well at all,” Reed said. “I had open looks. I had wide-open shots that I feel like I’ll knock down nine out of 10 times. They just weren’t falling today — for anybody, I guess, myself included.”

KU coach Bill Self mentioned many times this year that Reed often is his own toughest critic, and that showed again Sunday. After one missed free throw in the second half, he showed his frustration by stubbing his sneaker hard into floor.

“I could tell on the court, right after he missed a couple shots, especially later on, it just looked like he felt like he’d let us down,” KU teammate Conner Teahan said. “But he hasn’t at all.”

Teahan, who red-shirted this year, has been at KU alongside Reed and Morningstar the last four years at KU. He also played with Reed during high school on the AAU team KC Pump N Run.

“He thinks that if he does something wrong, he’s letting the team down so much, and we all respect that,” Teahen said. “And ... ”

Teahan dropped his head and broke down, taking a few seconds to compose himself.

“I just keep thinking about it being their last game,” he said of Reed and Morningstar.

Even in a tough moment, Reed said he was thinking of others before himself.

“I’m just more worried about all these guys and just how sad it is for them,” Reed said. “I’m not worried about myself. I’ll be fine. I love all these guys.”

Morningstar said he one had thought on the sideline during the final seconds of his career.

“A heckuva run,” Morningstar said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I wouldn’t trade these guys for anything.”

He told them so in the locker room after his last college game.

“I just wanted to let everyone know, regardless of what the outcome is, we’re all family,” Morningstar said. “We all love each other.”

Comments

dek9219 3 years ago

Mario, Brady and Tyrell. Thanks for the memories. You are all winners and always will be. I loved watching you play. And Mario, you deserve so much praise for staying with a program and giving it your all even though your playing time was limited. You never let down and you always were ready to step in when called on. Thanks again to all of you. I love this team. Good luck to you all in the future.

phog 3 years ago

Great players, great coach, great team, great season.

are you referring to VCU ??????????????????????????

Or to the tough talking thugs?

Scott Smetana 3 years ago

Great players, great coach, great team, great season.

Tyrel, you'll be wearing Kansas the rest of your life.

Now let's all raise hell how the NBA steals all of the young NCAA talent to mainly sit the bench.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

Why can't we compete with the top teams rather then get blown out by the little guys. Fire Self. Bring on football??????????????

fansincewilt 3 years ago

It always comes down to a poor shooting night. Every team will have one and if the other team is any good at all you will loose. Unless, of course, that team is having a poor shooting night as well. That was not the case Sunday and we lost the game. That is the name of the game. The team that gets on a hot shooting spree for six games has as good of a chance as about anyone. Everyone said that the only way VCU could compete was for KU to have an extremely poor shooting night and for them to have an excellent one. That is what happened and the outcome is predictable. There is no one to blame. It wasn't anyone's fault. No one let anyone down. The only ones that are letting us down is those who are blaming the coach, certain players, etc. They are the ones letting the team down. These are great kids and very good ball players. They deserve our absolute complete respect and support. I pray their lives go as well as this season. It was a great season. Not too many teams can lay claim to a season like ours. The only other thing that would have made it a little better would have been a national championship. I have been a fan for a very long time and can only remember two of those. There is no way we should ever be disappointed if we don't win the national championship. It is not often the best team in the nation ever wins one of those. We ended up the regular season being the number 2 team in the nation. That is probably a better indication of our team than anything. This tournament means very little in that respect. What a year! Do you remember what everyone was saying about the Jayhawks at the beginning of the season? What a year! This is one of the great years of all-time.

BabyJay2009 3 years ago

So, there's Naadir Tharpe and Ben Mc. Who else are we still going after, anyone know? Like all of my Jayhawk brodas.... devastation and agony weren't even close to how I felt. But, I've dealt w/ this pain in my own way and I've now passed that mourning stage. I am now looking ahead. Past is the past. Let's move on to the future. Let's talk prospects, future Jhawk studs and what next yr holds.

It's clear from reading all the negative comments here that Jayhawk nation is in pain. I feel ya. We all feel ya. Time will heal all wounds. In the meantime, let's pull it together and count out blessings! Anyone wanna be in MU's situation right? How about TN? Oh hell, how about Duke's situation? We ARE Kansas. Be proud. Be happy. Be positive. Be humble. Above all, be loyal! RCJH!!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

What a total embarrassment to KU. KU is no longer the front stage or the bright lights of baskeball anymore. ESPN guys said Self is not a good coach with has shown over the pass years. C- is a grade they gave Bill. They said that this game is on Bill Self. Yea, one NC which was lucky to get. Selby is not a great player, didn't do anything in the tournment at all. The Morris boys better leave, because it's not going to get any better with Self. I have said from the start of the season that Self was not putting this team together correctly and was using the wrong players to start. Like Budweiser Brady, which should not have been on the team at all. Reed is not a starter, but only a good bench player. Well Bill did it again and there will more to come if he is still here. I like KU but, when I see what is going wrong, I just have to say it. Too bad, truth hurts.

Tyson Ailshie 3 years ago

Kansas really needed those two to have a good game. They could've played a lot better. Oh well.

kranny 3 years ago

Heckuva season. This is what is great about sports, passion, drama, the highs the lows. Some people go through life not caring about one damn thing except for watching maybe a stupid reality show. Sports is real. With the Hawks I can always say, "next year". I can't wait to see what Naadir Tharpe brings to the table. We've got to have guys who can knock down the tough 3.

Sally Presson 3 years ago

My heart aches for Brady and Tyrell & Mario!!! You three guys hold your heads up, you didn't let anyone down!!! You guys gave us 4 years and Mario your faithful 2 years, we'll be forever grateful to you 3 for wonderful basketball. I so wish for your sakes the outcome would have been better, but when those dang balls don't drop, they don't drop and we all know how many times they dropped. Thanks so much for all you have given us through the years.

simpsonjayhawk 3 years ago

This one hurts! I'm guessing the beers consumed during the game eased some of the pain, because reality sunk in this morning when I woke up feeling like my girlfriend just dumped me.

Jhox said it right, "when you live, eat and breath KU basketball for 5 months, it somehow seems like a lot more than a game" I can't even go through my normal morning routine of watching sportscenter and reading the KC Star, it's like salt in a fresh wound.

I'll get over it....eventually

Forever loyal to my Jayhawks, Rock Chalk

phog 3 years ago

How's that TRASH TALKING and chest thumping working for you now BM ?

Marc Frey 3 years ago

I wish Brady, Tyrel, and Mario the best as they move forward in their lives. I have enjoyed watching them play for Kansas. Rock Chalk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Couple Kansas boys starting for one of the top teams in the nation. Pretty cool! Thanks boys!

jhox 3 years ago

Two for 21 on threes and 15 of 28 at the line. Just one of those days a team has every couple of years. Unfortunately for us, it came on the worst possible day.

I hope all of you slept better than I did last night. Every year I swear I'm not going to get this caught up in KU's tournament performance, and every year I seem to fall back into the same old trap.

I keep reminding myself that it is just a game, but when you live, eat and breath KU basketball for 5 months, it somehow seems like a lot more than a game.

Let's hope the coaching staff lands a couple of bigs, or we're not likely to have much to care about next season. Either that, or I hope at least one of our 3 big guys decides to stay one more year.

Mike Putzier 3 years ago

Awesome season! Sure, the loss hurt like hell. But now is not the time to dismiss what WAS accomplished. Very proud of you men!

Corey Shideler 3 years ago

What kind of idiot troll makes up a username on a website for an opposing team? Grow up dude. Your team did well and that's admirable. You have no class.

DSommersby 3 years ago

Big thanks to Brady and Tyrel and Mario. It was a very tough way for it to end, and we give props to the great game VCU played.

I will remember all the great wins and effort you guys always brought to KU Basketball. It was an incredible run and you all have contributed greatly to the excellent KU Basketball tradition and legacy. Things did not go our way today, but you all have been great players and ambassadors. Thanks for your hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and cheers! Thanks for all of it! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

BrockIII 3 years ago

Act like you've been there before.

Oh wait.

Enjoy it. VCU may never get back.

queenshims 3 years ago

Exactly! thank you Funhawk! VCUFTW, go get a life and stop being such an a** I guess it is your first time ever, so it has just gone to your head (which is empty I'm sure).

VCUFTW 3 years ago

Well, there's always the NBA.

oh wait