Monday, March 28, 2011

Loss hits Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed particularly hard

Kansas head coach pats senior guard Tyrel Reed on the as the Jayhawks leave the court after falling to Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. VCU

video thumbnail

Kansas fell to Virginia Commonwealth in an Elite Eight matchup Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 71-61 loss to VCU on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar talk to reporters following VCU's 71-61 victory over Kansas on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

— When he returned to the locker room following Kansas University’s 71-61 loss to VCU on Sunday, KU senior guard Brady Morningstar knew he had to say something.

Morningstar, who had entered the room with tears in his eyes, stood up in front of his teammates while many of them still had their heads buried in their hands.

“I just told the guys ... I just told the guys I love them to death,” Morningstar said, wiping away tears. “Everything we’ve been through, we’re still a team, whether you win or lose.”

For Kansas natives Tyrel Reed and Morningstar, Sunday’s loss was made more difficult after both had tough shooting games.

Morningstar, a 50-percent field-goal shooter, went 1-for-7 from the floor and 0-for-3 from three-point range.

Reed, a 38.8-percent three-point shooter, made just one of seven threes and one of nine shots overall.

“We’re never going to wear the jersey again. We’re never going to feel what it’s like to be a Jayhawk and be on that court, representing Kansas,” Reed said. “It’s tough. Point-blank, it’s tough.”

Reed’s 11.1 field-goal percentage was his lowest mark of the season.

“I didn’t play well at all,” Reed said. “I had open looks. I had wide-open shots that I feel like I’ll knock down nine out of 10 times. They just weren’t falling today — for anybody, I guess, myself included.”

KU coach Bill Self mentioned many times this year that Reed often is his own toughest critic, and that showed again Sunday. After one missed free throw in the second half, he showed his frustration by stubbing his sneaker hard into floor.

“I could tell on the court, right after he missed a couple shots, especially later on, it just looked like he felt like he’d let us down,” KU teammate Conner Teahan said. “But he hasn’t at all.”

Teahan, who red-shirted this year, has been at KU alongside Reed and Morningstar the last four years at KU. He also played with Reed during high school on the AAU team KC Pump N Run.

“He thinks that if he does something wrong, he’s letting the team down so much, and we all respect that,” Teahen said. “And ... ”

Teahan dropped his head and broke down, taking a few seconds to compose himself.

“I just keep thinking about it being their last game,” he said of Reed and Morningstar.

Even in a tough moment, Reed said he was thinking of others before himself.

“I’m just more worried about all these guys and just how sad it is for them,” Reed said. “I’m not worried about myself. I’ll be fine. I love all these guys.”

Morningstar said he one had thought on the sideline during the final seconds of his career.

“A heckuva run,” Morningstar said. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I wouldn’t trade these guys for anything.”

He told them so in the locker room after his last college game.

“I just wanted to let everyone know, regardless of what the outcome is, we’re all family,” Morningstar said. “We all love each other.”

Comments

VCUFTW 3 years, 6 months ago

Well, there's always the NBA.

oh wait

Funhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, KU has players in the NBA. How about VCU?

Doug LeMoine 3 years, 6 months ago

That's your taunt? That our guys aren't headed to the NBA? Oooh, ouch. Your team played a great game and they won. Congratulations. Now stop trash-talking. You're an amateur.

queenshims 3 years, 6 months ago

Exactly! thank you Funhawk! VCUFTW, go get a life and stop being such an a** I guess it is your first time ever, so it has just gone to your head (which is empty I'm sure).

Richmonder 3 years, 6 months ago

So let me get this straight...

You're calling VCU fans classless?

I can't tell you how many times I witnessed KU fans showing their true colors in San Antonio.

A friend of mine, who is a University of Richmond fan, was dining with his wife and daughter at a restaurant along the River Walk. Two KU fans noticed them and walked up to the table and started taunting them and the Spiders. He asked them kindly to leave the table.. They didn't and kept barking. Nice.

Following the VCU OT victory over FSU I witnessed plenty of KU fans at the Alamodome taunting VCU fans about their upcoming game. Just plain arrogant.

I have to ask, how does this piece of humble pie taste?

Enjoy watching the Final Four.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

If what you described at the resaurant truly happened, I apologize for our classes fans. However, every school has these sort of fans unfortunately. I will also say that I was not proud how some of our players commented prior to both of those games.

Richmond should be proud of both their universities, players, and staffs.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 6 months ago

I just got back from San Antonio. We had to move seats because 3 obese, obnoxious VCU fans were cussing so loudly when 3 little kids were in front of them. Nevertheless, I didn't let these 3 fans stereotype the other 2,500 VCU fans there. I have nothing against VCU, the players, coaches, or crazy bandleader. I wish them well.

I saw over 10,000 classy KU fans, although I'm sure there were a few we're not proud of. I wish you would show the brains not to stereotype of the largest fan bases in the country over something you heard from 'a friend of mine.'

JayhawkBigXII 3 years, 6 months ago

You WISH you were a VCU fan, you lowly Missourian! Now get thee away! Be gone with you! The spirit of John Brown lives here.

JayDocMD 3 years, 6 months ago

I also just returned from San Antonio. Not once did I see a KU fan acting like that. In fact, I had a nice visit with the wife of a VCU asst. coach as she ate on the Riverwalk with her three young children on Friday. She said she was impressed with our program/fans and wished us well for the game against Richmond that night. I wish the VCU crowd / posters on this site showed the same class. The choregraphed taunting of the KU team/fans in unison at the end of the game Sunday was bushleague.

Congratulations. You had the game of your life the same day we laid our biggest egg of the year. The "any given night" atmosphere is what makes the NCAA tournment fun to watch. But lets step back and look at this with the perspective of time. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - 10 years from now, when Shaka Smart is coaching at KU will still be a destination job for coaches. You are a stepping stone for coaches to climb to a real job. KU is a blueblood - we will always be in the conversation. You are a footnote in history. Enjoy your 15 minutes. Its 14 and counting....

JayDocMD 3 years, 6 months ago

(correction below - the site deleted my sentence in brackets)

• when Shaka Smart is coaching at (insert name of school more relevant than VCU), KU will still be a destination job

Brian Leiker 3 years, 6 months ago

I hope both schools enjoy replacing their coaches. You'll back to mediocrity next year. Don't even think for a second that either coach will be back next year.

BrockIII 3 years, 6 months ago

Act like you've been there before.

Oh wait.

Enjoy it. VCU may never get back.

DSommersby 3 years, 6 months ago

Big thanks to Brady and Tyrel and Mario. It was a very tough way for it to end, and we give props to the great game VCU played.

I will remember all the great wins and effort you guys always brought to KU Basketball. It was an incredible run and you all have contributed greatly to the excellent KU Basketball tradition and legacy. Things did not go our way today, but you all have been great players and ambassadors. Thanks for your hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and cheers! Thanks for all of it! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Corey Shideler 3 years, 6 months ago

What kind of idiot troll makes up a username on a website for an opposing team? Grow up dude. Your team did well and that's admirable. You have no class.

Mike Putzier 3 years, 6 months ago

Awesome season! Sure, the loss hurt like hell. But now is not the time to dismiss what WAS accomplished. Very proud of you men!

jhox 3 years, 6 months ago

Two for 21 on threes and 15 of 28 at the line. Just one of those days a team has every couple of years. Unfortunately for us, it came on the worst possible day.

I hope all of you slept better than I did last night. Every year I swear I'm not going to get this caught up in KU's tournament performance, and every year I seem to fall back into the same old trap.

I keep reminding myself that it is just a game, but when you live, eat and breath KU basketball for 5 months, it somehow seems like a lot more than a game.

Let's hope the coaching staff lands a couple of bigs, or we're not likely to have much to care about next season. Either that, or I hope at least one of our 3 big guys decides to stay one more year.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 6 months ago

Same thing here. I just try to remind myself that no matter how bad we wanted it the players wanted it more. No matter how painful, it hurts them more.

Hardest thing to accept is vcu only shot was if the hawks shot record low percentages. 2 more three balls and 4 ft and its a different out outcome.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree, and won't be watching the tourney next year, it's just not healthy.

bbhawk234 3 years, 6 months ago

You say that now but what more unhealthy than avoiding our beloved hawks. Kansas fans are not perfect but unfortunately we as fans expect our team to be what we are not. We are prideful people but just remember no one else in the world has what we have. The gem that no one will ever take away from us...History...and the most prestigious basketball building in the world. We are Kansas! We shall have our revenge and the phog will be a rockin. Maybe our hurtful losses will revive a new passion of never ever taking victory for granted. History awaits, will you hide or embrace our resurrection.

bwhacker 3 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately, KU had an off day shooting when VCU shot lights out. Skeen in particular played well above his "normal" level. He is a 22% 3-pt shooter and shot 4 of 7; he'd only made 6 shots outside the arc all season. And he is a 64% FT shooter and shot 10-of-12 yesterday. If he gives his normal contribution, KU is at least tied at the end of regulation.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Couple Kansas boys starting for one of the top teams in the nation. Pretty cool! Thanks boys!

Marc Frey 3 years, 6 months ago

I wish Brady, Tyrel, and Mario the best as they move forward in their lives. I have enjoyed watching them play for Kansas. Rock Chalk!

simpsonjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

This one hurts! I'm guessing the beers consumed during the game eased some of the pain, because reality sunk in this morning when I woke up feeling like my girlfriend just dumped me.

Jhox said it right, "when you live, eat and breath KU basketball for 5 months, it somehow seems like a lot more than a game" I can't even go through my normal morning routine of watching sportscenter and reading the KC Star, it's like salt in a fresh wound.

I'll get over it....eventually

Forever loyal to my Jayhawks, Rock Chalk

Sally Presson 3 years, 6 months ago

My heart aches for Brady and Tyrell & Mario!!! You three guys hold your heads up, you didn't let anyone down!!! You guys gave us 4 years and Mario your faithful 2 years, we'll be forever grateful to you 3 for wonderful basketball. I so wish for your sakes the outcome would have been better, but when those dang balls don't drop, they don't drop and we all know how many times they dropped. Thanks so much for all you have given us through the years.

kranny 3 years, 6 months ago

Heckuva season. This is what is great about sports, passion, drama, the highs the lows. Some people go through life not caring about one damn thing except for watching maybe a stupid reality show. Sports is real. With the Hawks I can always say, "next year". I can't wait to see what Naadir Tharpe brings to the table. We've got to have guys who can knock down the tough 3.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

Great take!

And we've got to post up 5'10" point guards, when we have a 6'2" and a 6'4" point guard? :-)

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate - There you are! I've been looking for your analysis. Seemed to me that this was a game/team that you had written about previously. Did you post a response in the hundreds of comments on other articles, or just leaving it to another day when more appropriate? Thanks

planojayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

That is right! For us Jayhawks, there is always next year to conquer this March Madness. Deep down, we all know that it doesn't take the best team to win, only a team that gets hot and with some lucks for 6 games. 1988 ring a bell?

Looking forward to the excitements and the possibility of next year will help to ease the pain and anger. There is always next year to try again in this crazy tournament for the Jayhawks! How many teams can say that?

Tyson Ailshie 3 years, 6 months ago

Kansas really needed those two to have a good game. They could've played a lot better. Oh well.

fansincewilt 3 years, 6 months ago

It always comes down to a poor shooting night. Every team will have one and if the other team is any good at all you will loose. Unless, of course, that team is having a poor shooting night as well. That was not the case Sunday and we lost the game. That is the name of the game. The team that gets on a hot shooting spree for six games has as good of a chance as about anyone. Everyone said that the only way VCU could compete was for KU to have an extremely poor shooting night and for them to have an excellent one. That is what happened and the outcome is predictable. There is no one to blame. It wasn't anyone's fault. No one let anyone down. The only ones that are letting us down is those who are blaming the coach, certain players, etc. They are the ones letting the team down. These are great kids and very good ball players. They deserve our absolute complete respect and support. I pray their lives go as well as this season. It was a great season. Not too many teams can lay claim to a season like ours. The only other thing that would have made it a little better would have been a national championship. I have been a fan for a very long time and can only remember two of those. There is no way we should ever be disappointed if we don't win the national championship. It is not often the best team in the nation ever wins one of those. We ended up the regular season being the number 2 team in the nation. That is probably a better indication of our team than anything. This tournament means very little in that respect. What a year! Do you remember what everyone was saying about the Jayhawks at the beginning of the season? What a year! This is one of the great years of all-time.

BabyJay2009 3 years, 6 months ago

So, there's Naadir Tharpe and Ben Mc. Who else are we still going after, anyone know? Like all of my Jayhawk brodas.... devastation and agony weren't even close to how I felt. But, I've dealt w/ this pain in my own way and I've now passed that mourning stage. I am now looking ahead. Past is the past. Let's move on to the future. Let's talk prospects, future Jhawk studs and what next yr holds.

It's clear from reading all the negative comments here that Jayhawk nation is in pain. I feel ya. We all feel ya. Time will heal all wounds. In the meantime, let's pull it together and count out blessings! Anyone wanna be in MU's situation right? How about TN? Oh hell, how about Duke's situation? We ARE Kansas. Be proud. Be happy. Be positive. Be humble. Above all, be loyal! RCJH!!

HawkRealist 3 years, 6 months ago

Ben Mc, Braeden Anderson, Deandre Daniels, Todd Mayo (OJ's brother), Sam Grooms (from same juco as Little), & Cezar Guerrero are all that's in the radar now. There might be some sweep ups available from the other programs who fired their HC though too.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

When has Coach Self and crew not delivered in the end?

ps UT will be just fine. Martin will prove the pretencious doubters in Knoxville very wrong. Just glad he went there instead of MU. He beat us once, I'd hate to face him regularly.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 6 months ago

Great players, great coach, great team, great season.

Tyrel, you'll be wearing Kansas the rest of your life.

Now let's all raise hell how the NBA steals all of the young NCAA talent to mainly sit the bench.

dek9219 3 years, 6 months ago

Mario, Brady and Tyrell. Thanks for the memories. You are all winners and always will be. I loved watching you play. And Mario, you deserve so much praise for staying with a program and giving it your all even though your playing time was limited. You never let down and you always were ready to step in when called on. Thanks again to all of you. I love this team. Good luck to you all in the future.