Sunday, March 27, 2011

VCU fired up by KU’s pregame chatter

Kansas forward Markieff Morris loses a rebound amidst a group of Virginia Commonwealth defenders during the first half on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. VCU

video thumbnail

Kansas fell to Virginia Commonwealth in an Elite Eight matchup Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 71-61 loss to VCU on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar talk to reporters following VCU's 71-61 victory over Kansas on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

— For the second time in two games, someone on the Kansas University men’s basketball team tried to use intimidation tactics to rattle an opponent.

It worked for one round, but did not the next.

“It was one of them, I don’t know which one,” VCU point guard Joey Rodriguez said about KU twins Markieff and Marcus Morris after VCU’s 71-61 victory over top-seeded KU on Sunday. “It was when the captains were shaking hands, and he was like, ‘You all had a great run, but it’s about to come to an end.’ That’s all he said. Throughout the game, he was cool.”

The early jab was enough to get VCU’s attention. Rodriguez, who was joined in the pregame meeting by teammates Bradford Burgess and Ed Nixon, raced back to VCU coach Shaka Smart to tell him what he had heard. Word spread quickly throughout the VCU bench, and, after a half, the Rams led Kansas by 14.

The Jayhawks ripped off a furious second-half rally to get back within two, but VCU never gave up the lead and, in doing so, became the first team to win five games to reach the Final Four.

One of the lasting memories of this game for VCU fans will be the cool, calm and collected Smart getting hit with a technical foul four minutes into the second half.

KU’s Tyrel Reed hit one of two free throws, Tyshawn Taylor followed with a layup, and VCU’s lead was down to 43-39. The Rams answered with a 12-7 run and pushed the margin back to nine. Asked if he thought the “T” fired his team up, Smart was frank.

“I hope it did,” he said. “I try not to get technical fouls. It’s the first technical I’ve gotten all year.”

Added VCU athletic director Norwood Teague: “That was very out of character. I’ve been telling him he needed to get a technical sometime, and he does it in the freakin’ regional final, which was great. I think it fired up our team.”

Teague continued: “This was just so big for us as a university and an athletic department. We brought about 1,000 (fans to San Antonio). For the Final Four, I don’t know. I’m sure most of Richmond (Va.) will be down there.”

Eleventh-seeded VCU (28-11) will play Butler (27-9) in the Final Four on Saturday in Houston.

Comments

Hank Cross 8 years, 5 months ago

No problem with the smack talk, but you got to back it up. And own it if you don't.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

wow! basketball players talking trash. next are you going to tell me they smoke weed and play video games?

DougGottlieb 8 years, 5 months ago

is this for real? kinda of like Shaka Smart saying they would shock Kansas and the world? Same thing. Call a charge which was the correct call when we're down 2 and KU wins. Plain and simple. KU choked I'm okay with that but VCU was lucky. Butler will dominate you.

Dan Harris 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah that non call on the charge into Morris was total horse crap and killed the momentum that we had going. Would we have won the game with the right call? Maybe maybe not but it sure was a bogus call at a critical part of the game.

captku 8 years, 5 months ago

Pants on backwards! I would have to second the Syracuse parallel (I was at that one) that another poster made, except our run back then was at the end of the 2nd half and not at the first part. Credit to VCU for withstanding the run we made, and not totally running out of gas - which I thought they would. I couldn't help thinking the reffing was chopping up the game a bit also, but I confess my bias here and now. First time in a while that I thot to myself, "c'mon Selby! We need you now - Get it going". I know he was in and missed a few, but his confidence at least seemed to return. I'll hear it tomorrow at the office, but not from any VCU grad. I can handle the others.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

yes, call the charge on Skeen, and KU gets the ball back. Then call the foul on Skeen when he totally hacked Marcus Morris under the basket on the shot and no call was made (VCU immediately made a transition three off of the no-call).

The refs with two bad calls completely stole KUs momentum and the last hope we had of getting in a rhythm. Pathetic.

justinryman 8 years, 5 months ago

Nobody ever plays a perfect game.

Nobody ever coaches a perfect game.

So why shall the refs be held to ref a perfect game?

rawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not one that often cites officiating as a factor, but I also felt the inconsistent foul calling was damaging when KU was trying to regain momentum. That said, VCU outplayed KU and brought a great season to an end for the 'Hawks. Rock Chalk

klineisanazi 8 years, 5 months ago

So who can Kansas bring in to meet your standard? Be specific about realistic candidates.

kusayzone 8 years, 5 months ago

Really? This is Kansas? High expectations??? We lose three NBA players and the next year end in the Elite 8? Do you realize every team in the NCAA tourney loses until one team is standing? That makes 67 losers and 1 winner.....You dont look at it that way because you dont know what the heck you are talking about. I think you need a job as a booster at KSTATE, Texas, or Misery, where they would die to consistently win 30+ games per year...oh and dont forget regular season and tourney champions on a regular basis.... I am proud of this team, and will support their efforts and Kansas will be back again, because HCBS is that kind of coach. He will be back again Final Suggestion: go get on the AR-Kansas website with Anderson, and you can be a whiner....a big difference than a winner!

kusayzone 8 years, 5 months ago

kufankam 8 years, 5 months ago

WOW, Seriously?! all he does is win. don't forget he won a national title in that one final four appearance. 7 straight conference rings is unheard of. we will continue to be in the hunt every year with him at the helm... self will likely win another title in the near future at KU and shut people like you up. think before you type!

John Randall 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm too lazy to look it up, but Dean Smith had a dozen or more runs to Sweet Sixteen and beyond before he finally got his first (of only two) NCAA championship. No one coach (except the guy with Sam Gilbert bankrolling things) has more than four, and those were in fields of 24 or 32 teams.

I wish coach Bill could loosen himself up, but not to the extent I would consider anyone else. Our program couldn't be in better hands.

Congratulations, Coach, on another GREAT season, and please accept the same condolences being granted to all the other #1 AND #2 seeded teams & coaches. Take a week off and then roll up the sleeves again.

John Randall 8 years, 5 months ago

Really it might be – if no one would take exception.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

unexceptionable is more common usage. unexceptable is acceptable only in very specific context.

John Randall 8 years, 5 months ago

You seem to get the point –

except and accept are different words, with different meanings – this difference still applies, with or without prefixes and or suffixes.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

you're right! let's forget that we have lost less games in the past 2 years than most lose in 1 year. pffft, on those 7 straight conference titles. and shame on those conference tournament titles! self is a loser, look at roy, he has double the amount of titles than self. so do dean and jim. while mike is 4x's better. and it's not like those guys have been coach that much longer than bill!

(where's the sarcasm button)

KSseahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

+1...I sure wish Mizzou had hired Self and we got Quin.
We sure got screwed in that deal.

Morons...

Now it's baseball season...let's go Ritch!!! Help hold off on the football chatter for as long as possible...as it's going to be another long Fall season.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh! Just when I thought I couldn't feel any worse, you bring up football;)

GreyHawker 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry Max....but they just don't want to hear the truth....not tonight anyway!!

KSseahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

This game looked like the KSU game at the Bram from this year and the UNI game from last...no focus and no energy until it was too late.

All year we had the same problems...suspect perimeter D which leads to wide open 3s (VCU likes to shoot 3s and are pretty good at it) or driving on our guards and no one down low can react quickly enough to contest a layup and it burned us today.

Hang this one on the staff for not making adjustments to get over the hump, but not a chance I'd rather have anyone else running this program.

Helluva season gentlemen...go get 'em next year.

Rock Chalk!!!

Fromyak 8 years, 5 months ago

oh get real Maxhawk. you don't know what the h*** you are talking about. look at the great coaches except John Wooden and rarely do they win more than one national championship. and to say he is not a good coach--look what he did with the Morris twins. they were horrible when they first came to KU. it was his great coaching that turned them around. do a little studying of great coaches before you proceed.

Hail_To_Thee 8 years, 5 months ago

Pilots fly planes

Firefighters put out fires

race car drivers turn left

Sports players jaw

Next article please....

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 5 months ago

Matt, I have high regard for you. But this smells like a Chris Chase Yahoo blog. Take this down if you have any self respect as a journalist.

Matt Kenton 8 years, 5 months ago

I, for one, was curious if we did any trash talking before this one and how it went down. Thanks.

JD Roth 8 years, 5 months ago

This was about as ridiculous a topic as the officiating today.

KSseahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I seldom bash officiating and still don't think it was the reason for the loss...however, the officials in this tourney have been awful. It felt like VCU was getting the benefit of the calls since they were the play-in team. The Richmond game wasn't much better, as far as officiating goes.

The Morri and TRob were getting hacked down low and nothing was called...then the hand check fouls were called on our guards. The two worst calls were the non-charge on Morris and the missed reach-in foul on Taylor that turned into a charge...should've been an 'and-1'.

Either way, we got punched in the mouth after we went up 6 and VCU never looked back.

adlowe1 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Kansas should have focused more on preparing and less on posturing. The disrespect given to Richmond was unsportsmanlike and represented the university poorly. This situation with VCU underscores the point. Doesn't matter though because in the end, the good guys won and the bad guys lost. Get some class. Go VCU!

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 8 years, 5 months ago

The good guys won??? The behavior of the VCU fans in San Antonio during the KU v. VCU game was reprehensible. Taunting and booing the KU band, name calling of our fans, band members and players qualifies as the "good guys?" I think not. If anyone should get some class, it would be the VCU fans. I guess the article on Yahoo Sports was correct. Richmond University is the classy school in Richmond, and VCU not so much. It sure showed during this game.

WilburNether 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, our guys can talk the talk.

Unfortunately, however, walking the walk proved to be a different matter.

John Randall 8 years, 5 months ago

Lots of people hate that expression – mostly the ones who talk better than they walk.

Michael Sillman 8 years, 5 months ago

Althought the team had a fantastic year and my hat is off to the guys, this has been one of my least favorite teams since my freshman year in '72 due to the trashtalking.

I live in the Bay Area now and the intentional foul by the Morris twin in the Cal game was hard to defend to my friends. I told them it was an aberration and then another twin did the same thing later in the season.

I found the behavior in the Richmond game disappointing particularly when Morningstar punched the ball out of the Richmond player's hands and then barked at him after making the three. I expect that from the East Coast kids but not from a Kansan.

I'm not surprised that someone lipped off at the beginning of this game and then got to eat their words.

Hopefully, next year we'll keep our mouths shut and just play hard.

Tyson Ailshie 8 years, 5 months ago

Boy, I wish we could just keep our mouths shut and let our playing do the talking.

WilburNether 8 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of idiots circling...I just spotted one!!!

wd39 8 years, 5 months ago

So after what Markieff Morris said to the VCU captain after the officials and captain meetings, KU deserved to lose today. Bad form Mr. Morris! That is not respectful sportsmanship and definitely not what the fans for KU expect from players that play for the deep tradition of KU Basketball!!

hawksince51 8 years, 5 months ago

While I'm not impressed with the pre-game comment, I seriously doubt that it had any bearing on the outcome of the game. Making it to the Elite 8 was probably about what this team deserved. Our record and ranking were inflated all year by the Big 12 being pretty weak. Marcus was our only great player, Markieff was pretty good most of the time and the rest played supporting roles. Since 1988 we have had many teams that underachieved in the post-season but I do not feel this was one of them.

Justin Kruse 8 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, Morris making that comment before the game is not why we lost, but why give an already hot team more motivation. I've never played big time b-ball but the ball that I have played, nothing has fired me up more, or wanted me to kick ass more, than someone talking crap like that. Just shut up, play ball, and send them home.

addlime 8 years, 5 months ago

I agree. I hate the pre-game trash talk. Made me mad before Richmond. Makes me mad now. Just a sign of immaturity. And do you know what else is a sign of immaturity? The inability to handle adversity! Throughout the game, the twins looked like they were going to cry every time a call went the wrong way, or VCU went on a run. If I were D Manning, I would have slapped them in the face (maybe not literally) and told them to wake up. Stay focused on the now and what you can control. Maybe they wouldn't have missed so many layups then. The team really lost its composure yesterday. Another year of school would do everyone of them some good.

JRandall 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't mind KU being confident and found it kind of refreshing that for once in a long time... this KU team seemed to be tough and not back down from a challenge or anyone on the court.

The problem seemed to be that not only was alot of confidence there but alot of lack of discipline and inability to make good decisions. Mental toughness and decision making is actually tougher to carry out than making threatening physical remarks or actions.

Each of these players has to take responsibility for their own actions and how it affects the team. This was never more evident than this year, the suspensions for bad decisions, flagerant fouls for lack of mental toughness, taking terrible shots out of frustration. Even the kid from Lawrence, Brady, got sucked into.. "It's cool to be a bad boy on the court" mentality.. only to become undisciplined mentally.. which truly shows the sign of toughness. In the end, our team was not tough.. the might have thought so and appeared so on the outside, but in between their ears.. they were soft. Some of this, needs to be addressed by HCBS. I think he is a fantastic coach, but he needs to take a look back at this season and consider some of the events that took place. For whatever reason, he never really had control or a good handle on this team. In the end, this came back and bit us in the A$$.

It takes more toughness to keep ur mouth shut, play smart and unselfish than it does to trash talk and take ill advised shots.. that is the sign of a tough team.

Curtis Lange 8 years, 5 months ago

I still don't get this 'The Big XII was weak this year' talk. At one point we had TWO teams in the top three. Throughout the season we continuously had 5-6 teams in the top 25. Add in Colorado making the NIT Final Four too after being snubbed from the NCAA tourney.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

a little comparison for you hcbs trolls. excluding last year, duke has lost to a team seaded higher (meaning duke was the favorite) than them for seven straight years. most of these losses coming in or before the sweet 16.

yates33333 8 years, 5 months ago

I assume everyone has noted that the VCU bench won the game for them. Our bench scored three points and their bench scored about 23 points. I forget the exact number but it was well over the 10 point margin of victory. We allegedly has the deep team.

Of course, I feel bad like almost all KU fans, disappointed again, but how about Jay Bilas?

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

VCU won, fine, but here's a complaint that should be considered:

Letting in teams that didn't do their homework during the year (lost 11 games) doesn't reward those that did. Tourney is too big. The regular season is given little weight anymore. Why don't we just play more exhibition games and then have a tourney that includes every team and call that the season? If we're gonna have have a sham, let's have a big one!

Oh, the article. Whoever wrote this is a sad and hating human being. OOh! The Morrii said something! It MUST be their fault! What great investigative work! You've uncovered the secret reason we shot so bad!

Tait, I just hope this left-over story line was pushed in your face and were threatened with your job when you so loudly objected to do it. No? You just suck?

Hail_To_Thee 8 years, 5 months ago

Exactly what I heard on Mike & Mike this morning.

Their comment was basically that the best team in the country will not win the championship this year, and it’s because of a flawed tournament system. They said, and I agree after thinking about it, that the NBA & MLB are the only two leagues that have a legitimate champion every year and it’s because they have a series. They said that in all reality, teams like VCU shouldn’t even be given the chance to play for a championship because they are not the best team in the nation, according to the entire season.

Although I understand this wouldn't really work with there being over 300 Div I college teams, it sure makes a lot of since.

Although I understand this wouldn't really work with there being over 300 Div I college teams, it sure makes alot of since.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 5 months ago

Character matters and this years team proved it beyond doubt.

JRandall 8 years, 5 months ago

completely agree. This team was as physically gifted as any in the tournament, but very mentally and emotionally undisciplined. The blame goes all the way around, to each player and also, the coaching staff never was able to reel them in.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Most of us enter college wet behind the ears, sheltered from real life by our caretakers and handlers. I remember the warm, muggy August day my parents left me at Oliver Hall, "See you at Thanksgiving...."

What happens if we are never separated from those caretakers?

yates33333 8 years, 5 months ago

ajhk I am not LJW fan but you are wrong about why KU lost. You are right about the US spending lives and money (we don't have) in the crazy wars.

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

RETURN TO SENDER

I think you pointed your gun in the wrong direction dude.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 5 months ago

i thought a real critical point of the game was Mc. Morris's foul on the three ball. we were rallying and the guy sank all three free throws.

ACCphanner 8 years, 5 months ago

Really? one call caused you to lose? You really think that?

VCU wiped the floor with Kansas. Maybe if you make 3 or 4 more 3's then you have an argument...failing that, the way KU played yesterday, you lose that game, yesterday, 10 out of 10 times.

Morris discredited himself as a human being, and Skeen discredited him as a player. But nothing like the way Rozzell and Rodriguez made Taylor and Reed look like a Patriot League backcourt.

Llatiwonk 8 years, 5 months ago

Watch the video of the VCU players before the KU game, true class.............the guys are all winners and have shown it since the play-in game. Tough, resilient and take what is thrown at them from disrespectful fans, media and other players. Every one of them. CAA is a tough group over here and trains them well for bigger stuff. Think George Mason! Richmond is burning again..............last time was 1865! VCU alum.

slowplay 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm old school and never thought there was any need for trash talk. To me it shows a lack of discipline and concentration. If you have so little faith in your abilities that you need to "get under the other teams skin" to win, then you are going to lose anyway. If you are that much better than the other team, prove it on the court and not with words.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 5 months ago

Reed's missed free throw after that technical and then his turover against the press right after just killed us.

hawkshot 8 years, 5 months ago

I agree with jaylark as this being my least liked team. Even with the amount of wins they had, they either let weaker teams stay around or they weren't as good as thought. Played whthout enthusiasm and focus too often. Never considered them as a championship team. Didn't lose any sleep over this one, was like I expected it to happen. Still a JAYHAWK and HCBS fan forever!

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

Here is something for Matt Tait to report to get help us move past basketball into Spring Football!

Woohoo, the good news keeps coming...

bygone 8 years, 5 months ago

Freaking twins loud mouths came back to bite em. Maybe Mario, Sherron, and others should have taught them a bit more about the midwest way of toughness: keep your head down, nose to the grindstone, let your actions speak for themselves. I know every now and again you gotta puff out the chest and show some attitude but not all the time, not every game. I feel like they spent a little too much time trying to play head games instead of focusing their minds and steeling their nerves for a championship. And part of it is that showtime east coast mentality of TT, the Morii and others. We are KU. We are college basketball. But Championships have got nothing to do with deserve or the name on the front of the jersey, or our sacred basketball history, until after we win them. Hence, next year boys focus on your work, shut your mouths, and let your actions speak for you.

PS Kentucky is pure evil. Calipari is the face of evil in college sports, is the face of wrong in college sports, all that is wrong. This final four is pure evil because UK and the unmentionable.... I hate evil!

Dale Koch 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey MaxHawk, Duke hadn't been to a final 4 in 7 yrs before last year and were a number 1 seed and look what happened to them. I'll bet they're still happy to have coach K. HCBS doesn't shoot the free throws, call the fouls, or miss wide open 3's and lay ups. Give me a break. I wouldn't trade coach Self for anyone in the country.

Dale Koch 8 years, 5 months ago

OH, and by the way MaxHawk, you are probably one who cried and moaned when Roy left, and guess what, he never won a NC in 15 yrs.

Dale Koch 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry RCJ, he only made two, and the foul was one of many that was bogus. Didn't look to me as if he even touched him.

Martin Shupert 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't get why a call was made in the first place on the bogus charge call. If the ref thought our guy flopped, where's the advantage? Just let the play go. Very little contact and the defender is at a disadvantage. Why call him for a foul at all, even if you think he was moving... where's the advantage? How much contact was there? It's just a weird thing that refs think it has to be a foul one way or the other. The guy lowered his shoulder big time and that would have gotten us right back in it. Seriously blown call. Still, we lost our composure too often and the shooters didn't relax and hit their shots.

Great year though. Absolutely nothing to hang their heads over. This team accomplished a whole heck of a lot. Don't forget that some bald headed one eyed so called expert picked us to finish 5th in the conference and we end up winning the season, the tourney, losing only 3 games, and coming within a bad minute of going to the final four. GREAT YEAR!!!

Geekinout 8 years, 5 months ago

The only comment I'm going to post until KU football starts again. Players were outplayed, Bill Self was out coached, and bottom line... KU CHOKED! Talking trash just gave them extra motivation which they capitalized on and shoved down KU's throat. I saw a lot of scared faces on the KU players during that game and couldn't believe we didn't even try something different on defense to stop their perimeter shooting. 1-3-1 or 3-2 zone? Firm believer success isn't measured by championships, but when Self doesn't even try anything different, just frustrating to watch!!! Self's inconsistent use of the bench players finally caught up with him also. You really expect Releford to do anything brilliant when he's barely been used during the regular season? I think I saw Mario "shoot first" Little pass the ball 5 times all year. Sorry for venting! I'm done... Great year especially for what this teams had to overcome.

LET'S GO TURNER GILL! (put the names back on the jerseys please).