Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stunning loss leaves several Jayhawks undecided on futures

The Kansas Jayhawks sit in a somber locker room following their 71-61 loss to Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

— VCU's shocking, 71-61 victory over Kansas University in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament, nudged a handful of Jayhawks to talk about their NBA futures a little sooner than they would have liked.

As many as five KU players have legitimate decisions to make about whether to return to school for the 2011-12 season or jump to the NBA.

Junior twins Markieff and Marcus Morris, both projected by several mock drafts to be first-round selections, said they don't know what they will do yet and that they'll take some time to decide.

Junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said he understood why the question was asked but indicated that he did not believe himself to be one of the guys who has to make a decision.

"I think I know what I'm gonna do," Taylor said. "But we're really not thinking about that right now. This is just so tough."

Sophomore forward Thomas Robinson, who may have seen his pro stock soar the most this season, was the quietest of the bunch, saying only that he was not thinking about his future yet and that he would do whatever was best for him and his family.

Finally, freshman guard Josh Selby also said he was not trying to think about the NBA right now. Selby, an almost sure-fire one-and-done player when he arrived, had a disappointing season and is no longer a lock to be picked in the first round.

"I'm not even trying to think about that right now," Selby said. "I'll have to talk it over with my mom. Right now, I'm just trying to get this loss out of my head."

The Jayhawks finished the season 35-3, which tied them for the second most victories in school history.

Seniors Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and Mario Little played their final games for Kansas.

Comments

pstein94 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for a great season boys. Well get em next year!

drewsmith84 8 years, 4 months ago

Loyalty? These kids have real families that they need to be loyal to as well, and if they can make millions of dollars to help them, more power to them. The motto of this team all season has been "Family Over Everything", and for some of these men (and unfortunately for us KU basketball fans) that might mean leaving school now gives them the best opportunity to support their REAL families.

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Tough comment to take, but true nonetheless, Drew.

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

Whether the guys stay or they go they are heroes this year for a magnificent season. They achieved two of their three goals, winning the Big XII regular season (7th year consecutive) and tournament championships.

Brady, Tyrel and Mario - this is a hard way to end your careers at KU but you leave having made this a better team and the University a better place to study. Thank you for the memories and for the amazing runs these past years. Best wishes for completely successful careers in the future. We will still be following your paths.

kkilborn 8 years, 4 months ago

these boys are heros to all the young athletes that look up to them. for some kids athletics are all that keep them out of trouble. if college basketball can keep at least on kid on a straight path then i call those players heros.

also if all you do is sit on here and act like an idiot then clearly you must have nothing better to do so please go get a life!

ancient_hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

That's the third time you have farted without saying excuse me. Poor manners.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Contrary to what you are saying here, I am a proud Jayhawk Fan who will wake up tomorrow with everything in perspective! Life continues my friend!

Jeremy Wilhelm 8 years, 4 months ago

I was just fine after this loss, because my 6 month old baby boy was looking at me and I at him and KU losing wasn't even a blip on my mind anymore - it was bath time and bed time, and that was priority number 1. I'm well aware that this is just a game, and my life is not substantially different now than it was this morning based on the outcome of it. I'm a little sad KU lost, but I'm happy for VCU and the game in general. I'm also (irrationally?) proud of these kids, even if I don't have a substantial connection to them, because I have seen them grow as people over the years and I think they are all better men than they were when they got to KU. That's positive, and more lasting than a victory today would have been.

On a side note, the fact that you seem to take pleasure in poking at the pain of others (who may not be as grounded as you deem appropriate) smacks of a pathologically anti-social perspective. Hope that works out for you.

P.S. The story on 60 minutes about the child amputees, and those working to help them is truly heroic, as are the workers striving to save the reactors at Fukushima, and keeping that in perspective isn't a bad thing. There's just no need to be ugly whilst providing that point of view.

said_zeppelin 8 years, 4 months ago

Based on the measuring stick you are using here to speak about some respected young athletes who have achieved so much in their college career, how do you measure up?

said_zeppelin 8 years, 4 months ago

I took from your comment that you also would not consider them role model student athletes.

I felt you went a bit over the top going right to working-in-a-nuclear-disaster reference. Do you always go that far to try to make a point? Should I read "whirl" in your screen name as "spin"

said_zeppelin 8 years, 4 months ago

You are missing my point. Your comments insinuated that they are also not role model student athletes. Going from a "heroes" comment directly to nuclear disaster is just a bit over the top for me.

These are people that started as teenagers in a college career and have worked hard to improve their basketball skills, committments to their team and in most cases their knowledge in a college setting. Don't go from a fans comment to tearing them down for all that they have accomplished.

said_zeppelin 8 years, 4 months ago

Just out of morbid curiousity, what was the last story you made a positive comment on?

said_zeppelin 8 years, 4 months ago

You must have missed the question mark. I did not think the question was that hard. I will assume the answer is "never".

Crawl back under your bridge troll.

rockchalk4442 8 years, 4 months ago

and please explain to me why you're on this SPORTS site again?

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Let me give you the answer that yoou are expecting.......you are a douche scumbag!

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Heroes, indeed, in their own right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having made the University of Kansas a more exciting place to go to school, and people like Tyrel Reed made this year's program one of integrity despite scandal. Thanks go to these boys for heading up a great team, and to Lee for calling it out!

Hippster 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree that while this is important discussion... it should be saved for later. Not even 2 hours after the season ends?!?!? Have some class and let the players reflect on the season first.

Gregory Newman 8 years, 4 months ago

your right Jacob!!! Self needs to find a guard coach because he nor the other 2 coaches got it. You can't talk about penetration and can't teach it. That 1950's high-low is not conducive for these players. Danny is the only one that is developing players. Its mid-range game and dribble-drive for the guards

Eric Williams 8 years, 4 months ago

Dooley is a good coach. And he coached up Morningstar and Reed about as high as one could.

Were you on here saying we needed a new guard coach when Rush, Chalmers, Robinson, Collins all came through? Didn't thinks so.

kutodd 8 years, 4 months ago

Great season! Can you imagine if everyone comes back next year? I know a lot of people say that Reed and Morningstar should not have played the majority of the minutes at guard, etc. I will agree that we did not look very athletic with them playing today but they were great Jayhawks and played ther hearts out. No one hurts more than them right now :-(

KUbsee69 8 years, 4 months ago

"Why would anyone want to leave this place early?" ... Sherron Collins

kubball4life 8 years, 4 months ago

100% agreed, why would you not want to play in Allen Fieldhouse as long as you could.

brooksmd 8 years, 4 months ago

I take it the only dribbling you're capable of doing runs down your leg on the way to the can.

IBRONNIEB 8 years, 4 months ago

I live as a Jayhawk fan! I will die as a Jayhawk fan! I am very proud of this team! And every thing they accomplished this year. If the twins stay we will be a power next year. If they go we will reload. But either way, we will win! RCJH

IBRONNIEB 8 years, 4 months ago

Debbie Mangen 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree. This has been my favorite team by far. Thanks guys for all the pain and effort this year. Rock Chalk!

phi4life940 8 years, 4 months ago

Love these guys. We'll support them no matter what. Great group of Jayhawks we had this year.....

Rock Chalk till the day I die.

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, since you obviously don't know...really...anything about the 'Hawks, it was Quantrill's Raiders who burned down towns in Lawrence, not the other way around. Not surprised that history books in general have eluded you.

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Okay, point taken - what happened before the massacre?

riverdrifter 8 years, 4 months ago

Shut up and get back to work. The drive-through lane is backed up again. Remember, "Would you like fries with that?"

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Not in the least surprised that your remembrance of "history" has failed you completely, as it does for most bigots like yourself who would happily champion the cause of an insane murderer and slave-owner's-rights defender on par with Nathaniel Bedford Forrest. Remember that guy? He started the Ku Klux Klan in a fashion. He and Quantrill could have been bed-buddies...with you!

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh, okay, I'll go ahead with this one. Quantrill led *several guerilla campaigns against pro-abolitionist forces in both Kansas and Missouri, and the "massacre" you mentioned was when some of his partners-in-crime, who were both members of his family as well as others who were self-appointed members of the Confederate army (in other words, operating without any form of sanction for repeated, incendiary war crimes against innocent civilians as well as uniformed servicemen) were killed when a roof collapsed on them. Seeking revenge for the situation he caused, he led "Quantrill's Raid" with his "Raiders" (who, for punctuation, I might add, were not dubbed "Raiders" until years after the raid) and actually did perform an act on par with the nomenclature you applied to Osceola, the "massacre". Bub.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 4 months ago

At least we're done with Reed and Morningstar. Those guys just don't get it done in March.

hawkhoops 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Really????? Who are you and what did you ever do on the court?

dylans 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, KU looked soo much better without them on the court. Like when Selby gets selfish with the ball and Ellijah turns it over. Or when who else goes in? Woolbridge?

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

+1 Strikewso. If BS would've spent the minutes all season developing his more naturally talented athletes instead of Brady & Tyrel, we would have gone better than 2-16 from our 2 & 3 spots. Yes, Bill was wise to hitch his wagon to Brady Morningstar. And keep Josh & EJ & Mario & Travis in the barn.

gerald_bostock 8 years, 4 months ago

its not like those guards didn't get the chance to prove themselves earlier. you put in who's better for the team. in hindsight maybe we should have had EJ at point more or whatever just to let him make mistakes and learn from them, but at that time it didn't really make sense when he turned it over all the time.

im4indiana 8 years, 4 months ago

Josh Selby thinking about the pros....Wake up Josh, you might have had one good game...Thanks for a great year guys....You were the best #1 team left...

Michael Auchard 8 years, 4 months ago

Hell of a ride, men. Stars were aligned against us today. I've loved this season, I've enjoyed watching you guys play some dominating basketball. FOE, guys. Nothing you did is a disappointment to any of your true fans. It was obvious you gave it your all out there today and left it on the court. I am so proud that you represented the state of Kansas the way you did. You are a bunch of studs in my book. Getting a little teary eyed just writing this...

Rock Chalk.

100 8 years, 4 months ago

Major league troll below who claims he was a D1 athlete.... His name is HawkfromHays. Conviently he won't tell us what position he played or his name. Interesting since a lot of KU fans would probably like to say "thank you for choosing KU".... Instead this supposed D1 football player, with possibly an Orange Bowl ring (yeah right!), is choosing to attack the Jayhawk fanbase after a heartbreaking loss to a respectable team that played great today, leaving us one win away from the final 4.

This poster's history suggests he has nothing but bitterness & jealousy for KU anything. He's so jealous, instead of spending quality family time, or doing yard work or watching a movie until football season, he spends time on our website when his team won one or none (total) tournament game this year, including the Big 12 tournament.

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Just trollin' it up, everywhere you go...you see the clouds in Kansas and head straight for Beantown, where you can comment just outside slugging range.

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

<p>KUSports.com, please welcome Boston-transplant HawkfromHays, who grew up in Hays, the Kansas equivalent of the Arab desert sand caves. He's a true Jaywalker and I wish he'd do it more often. He hates this team with the truest of passions, and stands for undermining KU's legitimacy at every turn. Welcome, friend!

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

If it's Hays,Ks the trees grow sideways there...I realize you're effedup, way, way up. Go away, these kids have had a tremendous year & don't need a turd in their punchbowl. You may even be a Swedish turd with no sugar-only dope, or Erin's gay sombrereo friends...still go away. Hays is almost Dole country...like never never land, only alot dumber then Manhattan, believe it or not. Just more druggie. The DEA will watch your posts for sure-count on it. ,

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you so am not sure why someone is giving you crap. Marcus should go and I do think Markieff would be able to improve his game feeling he is the man.
T-Rob doesn't have the offensive game yet to get to the NBA. He showed signs, but not enough to say he is a true offensive threat. I think if he is starting next year he could be dominant though because he is a stud in the making. Selby, not even close. Another year and maybe he is ready. TT: I would never draft him if I was a GM. Has been a head case one way or another since he has been here and can't shoot. I don't think he has a very good basketball IQ to be honest.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 4 months ago

Word in Phog.Net is that twins, TRob, and Selby more than likely will be gone.

Robert Lewis 8 years, 4 months ago

Now that is the first time I have laughed out loud all day today! I can see Marcus but NO ONE else on this supposed list going pro anytime soon. Thanks again for that hilarious diatribe.

Jared Grillot 8 years, 4 months ago

Diatribe - You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means.

See Jaybate or HEM for a diatribe.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 4 months ago

Word in Phog.Net is that twins, TRob, and Selby more than likely will be gone.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

Note to players thinking about leaving: the players in the NBA are better than the players on VCU.

Marcus, you may be excused. Eveyone else, see you at late night.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 4 months ago

TRob would make a HUGE jump with another year, from late first to likely high lottery (assuming he would start and play major minutes next year). It doesn't matter where Selby is drafted; he is raw, unprepared, and will rot away on any NBA roster if he goes now. He NEEDS the extra year or he will be having the same wonderful rookie season that Aldrich and Henry enjoyed on the bench this year.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

Markieff Morris is not a sure 1st rounder. I'd test the waters, then see. I will bring up Mike and Maurkice Pouncey. Twins playing on the OL for the Florida Gators football team. Maurkice was projected as a first round pick, so he left a year early. Mike was projected as a third rounder. So Mike came back and looks to be a late first round pick.

hawkhoops 8 years, 4 months ago

Sherron did not get drafted, and got let go. TT and Selby haven't come close to doing what he did.

sandw2010 8 years, 4 months ago

To TheWhirl- Go away, why are you on here? You apparently don't like KU basketball, or respect what they have done this year!

SaulGood 8 years, 4 months ago

Think he's already banned. That was quick.

sandw2010 8 years, 4 months ago

These guys had an amazing season! I will miss the seniors! Please let the twins stay! I don't think anyone is going to leave. They have to much to prove next year, and how much would it mean to their families to see them graduate?

Eric Schneider 8 years, 4 months ago

Everybody needs to stop thinking about the NBA draft in terms of college production. It doesn't mean much. TRob is close to a lock for the lottery. The Morris twins would both be mid to late first round. Tyshawn and Selby second round to undrafted.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 4 months ago

i predict everyone will be back, that can be back. the twins want to stay together as long as possible....Selby is no way ready....and TRob needs another year.

let's get 'er done in 2012! Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

JayCat_67 8 years, 4 months ago

Helluva game to have an "off" day. But, considering there hasn't been an undefeated team in... what... 35 years? It's safe to say that everyone has them.

100 8 years, 4 months ago

Exactly Jaycat.... Besides Indiana in '76, can we really just claim any team recently has escaped a shocking loss here & there?

So many of the fans that have teased us with words like "Bucknell" or "UNI" had the exact same thing happen to them this year. Except for some it was even in their conference tourney. For others it was in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. So isn't it more of a backhanded compliment when we see fans wearing UNI shirts?

The answer is... Yes.

We are the best. Teasing comes with it. The comical part is that so many of these "teasing fans" from other Universities pretending to be us have so many of these losses we wouldn't know where to start. Nor would we even really care to, because that's what teams with inferiority complex do.

And it's good to realize most "KU fans" saying negative things about this "epic loss" to a UNI type team are just trolls. Their happiest day is when KU loses because their team lost weeks before or perhaps didn't even make the tournament, or perhaps only won one game or none in the Big 12 tournament.

As for the facts, today is not a happy day for Jayhawk nation. However all bigtime programs lose at least a couple heartbreakers every year. The only outlier to that rule recently is Indiana's 76 team, or from awhile back, Phog & Naismith's 1923 team, both undefeated over the course of a season.

Duke has these midmajors losses, in fact they've lost to VCU. UNC has these embarrassing "name" losses he's referring to, in fact multiple times last year to the point of going nit. ucla since '76 has had these types of losses year after year, and had them year after year before 1960.

And Kansas?

We have more wins than any program in the NCAA tournament in the last 25 years. And we're 3rd all time in NCAA tourney wins. And 2nd in all-time wins @ 2000+. And, like Duke & UNC....

We also have a title in the last five years.

And like us.... They also have a loss, or possibly many more....

That really hurt a fanbase who loves their University....

That said....

Congratulations to VCU today.

colreader 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't we play in a tournament this Fall with Duke?

100 8 years, 4 months ago

Mark it down boys.... Another big troll below not afraid to show us his true colors.... KULA

KULA 8 years, 4 months ago

Anybody with any brains will get out of here and this okie hokie pokie offense. Hanging around another year only hurt Sherron & Cole's draft status. Nobody has anything to gain from running another year of this bogged down walk it up the court pass it around the perimeter never run it offense. Spending a year here has only hurt Josh's status. The Twins, TRob and Selby are all probable first rounders (although Josh couldn't get off Bill's bench in favor of Brady & Tyrel). Tyshawn is a possible first rounder, sure to be drafted somewhere. Even Withey would probably be drafted and have a ten year career (even though he couldn't get off Bill's bench either). The NBA compounds will determine if any of them can play in the NBA. Not BS offense.

rockchalk4442 8 years, 4 months ago

we had the most efficient offense in the nation this year.... you're a joke.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 4 months ago

We had the highest eFG%, not the most efficient offense. Seems like a small detail, but there is a difference. We were too turnover prone to have the #1 efficiency stat. We're ranked #6 in Adj. Offensive Efficiency on kenpom.com

David Howell 8 years, 4 months ago

KULA, I kinda sorta get what you are saying. Self's whole offense revolves around stalking the 3 point line area and driving to the bucket finally became an afterthought about 2/3rds of the way into the season. However, I am not sure if it's the fault of his offense or the execution and/or quality of players ? Brady and Tryrel will be missed for sure. Other then the few limited times that Releford saw limited minutes, I didn't see too much basketball intelligence displayed on the court from anyone else. Playground mentality YES, court intelligence NO.

benphi69 8 years, 4 months ago

I think Morningstar should lobby to the NCAA for a few more years of eligibility.... then we could have a 30year old on our squad.....

johnnyphoton 8 years, 4 months ago

I sure hope there weren't any football recruits at the game today . . .

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 4 months ago

Fottball recruits? If I were these guys I be more worried that there were NBA scouts at the game and witnessed it all first hand.

mike3423 8 years, 4 months ago

Aside from Reed, Brady, and Mario, this team has great expectations next year. T-Rob, Morris Twins, Taylor, Selby, Johnson, and any other recruit we get will be an amazing team. I love the Jayhawks and I will stand by them no matter what. I will take this season no matter what. Big 12 regular and tournament champs and an elite 8 appearance... you cant ask for much more. I know this is a basketball town. I live 6 miles away in Eudora. I know how important it is to win a national championship. I partied in mass street in '08. I know these guys that aren't graduating can get the job done. We just can't expect them to do it every year. We have the guys to do it but you can never tell what happens in the tournament. I love each and every one of these guys and can't wait to see them grow next year. Yeah, we all wanted a national title, and the boys did too, but you have to be proud of what the accomplished in Jayhawk nation. These boys came together in alot of hardship this year but you have to remember, alot of these guys are still growing into men. Love all you guys! RJCH Go KU!

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 4 months ago

Why stay......

To play another year in a weakened Big XII/Little 10? To work more on that always talked about defense that comes through even when offense strugles? To have another disappointment?

79ictjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Weakened Big 12? After loosing CU & NU hoops? What planet are you on?

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 4 months ago

Just because I indicated weakened don't assume I mean because CU and NU have left. I felt the Big XII was weaker this year than last. And I think that trend continues even if CU and NU stayed.

RocktoRock 8 years, 4 months ago

Why stay? To become national champions. The Morris twins said they wanted to leave Kansas as winners. That's why.

Rodney Atkinson 8 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, to the whole Team, each and everyone. It was a great season, we never missed a game. You have provided us with great memories, and truly a very entertaining year. It is our honor to be represented by such a remarkable and talented group of young men and a very, very elite coaching and supporting staff. We are so proud of your accomplishments this year.

No matter who stays and who goes, you will always be in our hearts and in our prayers.

Love to you all,

We cannot thank you enough. RCJH forever FOE

redlegger 8 years, 4 months ago

Excellent post (as always) drgnslayr!

Love this Team!

FOE

Harrow Richard 8 years, 4 months ago

Another great year.

Even if we fell short of the ultimate prize, our guys accomplished so much. Can't wait till next year!

jayloco 8 years, 4 months ago

This is the first time in a long time that I have come to the message board and posted after a Jayhawk loss in the NCAA tourney. It just makes me sick to see people blasting Morningstar and Reed after this heart breaking loss for all of Jayhawk Nation. Yes, they are not 5 star guards, but they are much better than they played today. That is the beauty of this tourney. You get one shot each game and if you don't show up you will go home packing. Today, we didn't play well, but we ran into a team hot from 3 and that jumped on us early. They packed it in down low and forced us to beat them with our achilles heel, our guards.

I don't think anyone was complaining about Reed and Morningstar as duds when they were hitting 3's most of the year. I just think they had a tough night, the whole team did. The FG% and the FT% reflect that. I just hate that these guys are being villafied and bashed. they gave their blood, sweat and tears to this program and I appreciate everything they gave.

Tough way to go out today boys, but an Elite 8 appearance is nothing to feel to bad about. Certainly not where we wanted to end the season, but in retrospect, it was a solid year.

As for going pro, I think the twins are gone and so is Selby. I hope I am wrong, but my gut says the twins want to go pro together and i don't see Markieff coming back with his stock peaking at the moment.

murph 8 years, 4 months ago

No, Max. What's sickening is to hear idiots like you disregarding an excellent season. These guys had a hellish year off the court, yet they managed to pull together and get down to one of the last 8 teams standing. They gave it all they had, and it was wonderful. Only one team cuts down the nets in April, and it's not us this year. Ok. The sun will come up in the morning. People like you are disgusting.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

Especially when tradition rich schools like kentucky have been there so much! oh, wait, this is there first time since 98.

johnnyphoton 8 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self coached this team UP, way up. In some respects I think this team over-acheived. It's clear the middle was vacant sans Cole. We didn't have a true center who could bang, block out, and block shots. Tyrel and Brady had a tough time handling the ball, Tyshawn could be erratic and loose with the ball. As far as I'm concerned, this team played up to and maybe a little beyond it's true level of talent. What has me concerned the most is this nagging sense that our teams aren't loose(r) for the big games.

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 4 months ago

Ben McLemore will announce between Kansas and Missouri at the All-American Classic on April 3, it is supposed to be on national television.

Alan Mills 8 years, 4 months ago

First, the Ben McLemores and Xavier Henrys and Josh Selbys of the world haven't brought home any championships in Lawrence and likely won't. The starters on this year's team included two little-recruited kids from Kansas, twins from Philly who were not as well-known as anyone else in their class, and a kid from Jersey who played in a great program but was also not as highly recruited as some. The 2008 team was also made of good, solid kids who could play and wanted to play hard, but who were not on the top of everyone's recruiting lists. Any high school kid who will be announcing his intentions on national TV probably isn't worth it, at least considering our recent track record in that area.

As for the NBA, I'm going to guess these guys will all be back. The Morris twins say they want to win and want to play together. Kansas is the only place that will happen for them. Robinson is not an NBA recruit right now, but he could be. Maybe I'm way off, but when do 6th men get drafted? Selby is in that same boat. They both could use improvement in all facets of the game. Taylor's name is shocking to see here. RussRob was as good if not better. Where's he playing now? Plus, he was never a problem off the court. Like Collins and Aldrich, I bet all 5 are back next year. Throw in Releford and you've got a pretty darned good foundation.

hawkitup 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't you remember Marvin Williams from UNC? He was the sixth man on their team and was the 2nd pick in the draft. The NBA is all about potential...not actual performance.

adlowe1 8 years, 4 months ago

If this team and its coach had shown any class in the last two games, I wouldn't be on this site right now. But, they didn't. The arrogance of this team caused them to self-destruct. I can be proud of a team that loses gracefully but I can't be proud of a team that breaks up another team's pregame ritual, taunts the opponents' bench while up by 10+ points, or admits that they "don't know where Richmond" is. It's a capital city you "student-athlete". What are they teaching at Kansas? The right team won today. Kansas needs to get its priorities straight.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

Not even a troll, just complete hater-A$$hole from misery!

adlowe1 8 years, 4 months ago

Not even sure what that means but if hating unsportsmanlike conduct is the definition then count me in. Kansas got exactly what was coming to them. I've never had a reason to root against Kansas in my life but after what I saw from them this weekend, I will never root for them. Please remember that the team is simply an extension of the institution and the school's overall reputation is more important than the basketball team.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

You weren't on the site yesterday clown...go back in your hole. Just an a$$hole looking for the paper.

adlowe1 8 years, 4 months ago

You can disregard my comment all you want but that doesn't mean it's not true. You're right about the paper though. Tomorrow's sports section will probably have a good headline.

adlowe1 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't think that Richmond was blocking the door but, hey, I wasn't there. Poor planning by the staff at the Alamodome. You'd think they would think ahead.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

Like Scott Drew & Baylor? Not poor planning, just stupidity at the pinnacle...or head of the d..k!

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

They still fly the confederate flag about 50 mi south of Columbia. No lies, only malice.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

Gee no profile, no history, no identity, just joined today...nothing. Misery, Neb, surely not KSU-they ain't quite that bad. Sooballs, Jhknbrska, KSA... is a hater, huge jerk-off none the least. Back under the rock snake, or we'll ferret you out for good. Sick-em men! There's a fart in the boxcar. I know you can whiff him out. Good riddance & light him up in a puff & gone for good.

jhawk49 8 years, 4 months ago

First of all I would like to thank all the players and coaches for a great year, we a very spoiled and lucky to have such a great program! I would not trade HCBS for anybody in the country. I loved the team this year and thought they might be good enough to win the whole thing, but everybody had an off night at the same time and when that happens in this tourney you go home. I hope that the morrises come back but I think they are gone, I think T-Rob and Selby will be back, they are not ready and more importantly in the eyes of scouts, GM's etc., there are players ahead of them that they would be more willing to take a chance on, in my opinion. If the Morris boys come back, look out the Jayhawks will be dominant. I also wanted to add this link to a video that made me feel better today, hope it works for you.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

These kids played their complet a$$es off this year through an almost insurmountable mountain of heartbreak. And I for one, will never forget what they brought to the table & beyond. Waaaaaaaay beyond. If you must go separate ways, so be it for the best. Thank you & God's Speed for life! FOE!!! You've given this old codger an emotional year I may never forget and the entire Jayhawk Nation your absolute best effort. That's good enough for the girls I go with. And I hope you all read this post, as I know you kids do read some of them now & again. Remember this is where it all began... The Doctor... James Naismith. You'll always be our family, no matter what. If the Big Dipper was still here he'd damn sure tell you, "now I know what they mean when they say Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk!" Again, my sincerest thanks & fondest wishes for the future, Phil & all the board rats at kusports.com

cobweb 8 years, 4 months ago

The mid-Major teams do well because they have no pro prospects. They stick around for four years and become a great TEAM. You have one chance to get drafted. If you jump the gun and screw it up, your career is over in the NBA before you realize what happened. There are no do-overs. Think about it and listen to coach. Marcus is ready but he's a tweener. Kieff might be a lottery pick next year. TR has the same chance. Josh isn't ready and needs to tune out his "friends" who say he is.

Layne Pierce 8 years, 4 months ago

In the midst of all the woe is us, let me point out that without coach self and his staff there is no way this team goes 35-3. That fact is indicated by the VCU game. This team had more talent than many, but nothing close to the championship team of 2008, that team would have killed this team, eight out of ten times. This team was actually an overachieving team. Who would you rather have, Tyshawn Taylor, or Russ Rob, Mario chalmers, or Tyrell Reed, Brandon Rush or Brady Morningstar, Jackson and Arthur, or the Twins, (that's a tough one), Robinson or Kaun. That 2008 team played much better defense, they would have been able to get VCU off their game. They also had the ability at multiple positions to break down the defense. This year's team had to run the offense, they truly lacked bread down talent. That being said, if they had made free throws (which they were always terrible at), or hit just 3 more three point shots, they would have probably won the game. Point is, just be damn glad, we even got where we did. Next year, without a change in personnel, I would have serious doubts about the likelihood of a championship, because the margin for error with this bunch is small.

RockChalkJayhawKU 8 years, 4 months ago

Can't wait for next season, especially if some of the aformentioned players stick around. If not, it's time for EJ, Travis, Jeff Withey, Royce Woolridge ect. to step up.

Rock Chalk

Janet Olin 8 years, 4 months ago

Thank you to every single member of the Jayhawk team for effort and heart in a hellish year. Jayhawk Nation always embraces its players, but this team has a special place in our hearts. We are sad, mostly for the players, but we still love our team. Please, twins and TRob, come back to learn more from Danny about being a successful Big at pro level--the money will be there in a year but the teaching won't.Why languish on the bench or DLeague when you could be learning for the best and improve your rankings for next year? (Aldrich and Wright played almost none, Arthur sparingly in his 3rd year). And please Josh, come back so you can play healthy and learn how to run a team of high-level players before jumping in, so your stock can improve and you can be around people with your interests in mind. Thanks again, all of you, for a great season. Rock Chalk.

dougr 8 years, 4 months ago

Rodriguez, Rodriguez, too much Rodriguez! All the time some spent worrying about illegal immigrants, none took time to respect the LEGAL immigrant and his crew of no-name supporters. lol Ouch!

That said, thanks for a great season Jayhawks! Sometimes you have to take the bitter with the sweet. Nothing will ever make you feel good about this outcome. I just hope all of you will spend more time reflecting on your accomplishments than you spend wondering what could have been. It is what it is. Clearly, nothing to be ashamed of.

Doug Rodriguez 'Yep, another Rodriguez' Lawrence, KS