Sunday, March 27, 2011

KU hoops notebook: Jayhawks undecided

Twins, Robinson mull pro future

The Kansas Jayhawks sit in a somber locker room following their 71-61 loss to Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Videos

KU vs. VCU

video thumbnail

Kansas fell to Virginia Commonwealth in an Elite Eight matchup Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 71-61 loss to VCU on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar

KU senior guards Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar talk to reporters following VCU's 71-61 victory over Kansas on March 27, 2011.

Download podcast

— The Morris twins didn’t say if they were staying at Kansas University or leaving for the NBA Draft after Sunday’s Elite Eight loss to VCU in the Alamodome.

They have some time to finalize their plans.

Players have until April 24 to declare for the draft. Those who do not sign with agents can withdraw by June 13.

“I love this university and this team. That’s the main thing,” junior center Markieff Morris said after scoring 13 points, grabbing 12 rebounds and committing eight turnovers while playing 32 minutes in KU’s 71-61 defeat.

“Whatever decision is made will be the best decision for us and my family. It’ll be a tough decision. I’m not sure what I’m ready to do yet. I need to sit down and talk to my coaches and my family about my future and my brother’s future. Whatever happens, it will be the best decision,” Markieff added.

Junior Marcus Morris’ statement on the matter was not as long. “I don’t know. I’m not really sure,” he said of his plans for next season.

KU sophomore Thomas Robinson, who said recently he definitely would be back for his junior season, was not saying that after Sunday’s game.

“I’m not thinking about that. Whatever’s the best decision for me, that’s what I’ll do,” Robinson said. NBAdraft.net has cited unnamed sources as saying Robinson is headed for the draft.

Junior guard Tyshawn Taylor implied, but did not say for certain, he would be back for his senior season.

“I really don’t think I’m one of those guys who has got to make a decision,” he said. “Everybody knows who the guys who have to make the decision are. I think I know what I’m going to do, but that’s not really my focus right now.”

Pressed on the matter, Taylor said: “I don’t think it’s anything I really have to think about.”

Is his decision good news for fans?

“I guess so, guess so. I don’t know, man. It’s not my focus right now,” Taylor said.

Also, freshman Josh Selby (see related story) indicated he would need to consult family members before finalizing his plans.

All-regional

KU’s Marcus Morris was named to the All-Southwest Regional team with VCU’s Bradford Burgess, Joey Rodriguez and Brandon Rozzell. Jamie Skeen of VCU was most outstanding player.

Point guard shines

KU’s Marcus and Markieff Morris were impressed with VCU point guard Rodriguez, who had nine points, five rebounds, five assists, four turnovers and two steals.

“He controlled the game,” Marcus Morris said. “He kept his guys settled, even when we were coming back.”

“Their point guard runs the team, and he made passes, and then they made their shots. That killed us,” Markieff said.

Not following orders

KU’s players failed miserably in one area.

“We didn’t follow the scouting report like we should have in the first half. They got some open shots and knocked them down,” KU’s Taylor said of guarding the three. VCU hit nine of 17 threes the first half and three of eight the second.

“They made us pay for not doing what we were supposed to do. We did a lot of stuff we weren’t supposed to do, and they capitalized on it,” Taylor added.

Noted Tyrel Reed: “There were times we just didn’t play the scouting report. We gave open looks. They’re a great three-point shooting team, and you can’t let them get on a roll. We didn’t defend the three-point line like we should have. Give credit to them, they were knocking them down. But it was a poor performance by us guarding the three. That was basically it.”

Added Markieff Morris: “We knew they wanted to shoot threes. We didn’t get out to stop them.”

Brick city

KU hit 35.5 percent of its shots and missed 19 of 21 threes.

“It happens,” Brady Morningstar said. “When teams miss shots, you have to find another way to stay in the game. The ball didn’t go in today. It’s tough to win when you are not making the shots, when a team is on a roll like that.”

“I don’t think we’ve shot that bad from the three-point line and from the field,” Reed said. “We had good looks, I thought. We got some open shots, and down low, the ball wouldn’t fall as well. I don’t think we ever lost confidence that we weren’t going to make shots. We kept shooting them. They just didn’t go in.”

Of the threes, coach Bill Self said: “We just didn’t make shots. You look at it and say, ‘Why did you take 21 threes?’ A lot of those were late, best shooters shooting them. The guys that go 1-10 finish first and third in our league for field-goal percentages (Morningstar, Reed). You play to your law of averages a lot of times, and it just didn’t work out today.”

Quite a matchup

Self on No. 11-seed VCU and No. 8 Butler advancing to the NCAA Final Four semis: “I think what it does, as much as anything, it just puts a spin on the NCAA Tournament. It’s wild. A lot of people said we caught breaks. I don’t know if we caught any breaks or not. I didn’t feel we caught any breaks. Seeds are so overrated, it’s about matchups. Their players could play for us any day. If we played ‘shirts and skins’ today, you wouldn’t have much of a difference on players or how they look. They’ve got some good-looking kids. They got what they deserved today. They outplayed us.”

Technically speaking

VCU coach Shaka Smart was whistled for a technical with 15:43 left. Reed made one of two free throws, and KU scored on its next possession to slice what once was an 18-point deficit to 43-39.

“I felt like the momentum was switching in our direction,” Reed said. “We had opportunities. We just couldn’t quite get over the hump. And VCU kept making plays, kept knocking down shots and attacking. We just didn’t quite have it today.”

Free-throw woes

KU hit 15 of 28 free throws to VCU’s 17 of 22. “We missed, like, 13 free throws, and it’s hard to win when you miss that many free throws,” Taylor said. “Then we went, like, 2-for-21 from the three-point line.”

Scrambling team

How much did KU’s chasing on defense hurt the Jayhawks offensively?

“I think we just missed some easy ones,” Taylor said, “and they made some tough ones. They got a lot of open looks, and they got some contested shots that went in. They just hit some big shots.”

Overconfident?

Was No. 1 seed KU overconfident playing No. 11 VCU?

“No. I think we understood this year you couldn’t look ahead,” Morningstar said. “You saw the roll that VCU was on, and they continued their roll by hitting shots. When teams hit like that, you have to defend. When you don’t defend, you dig yourself a hole, and you have to try to make a comeback. It’s a lot easier to play with the lead than without the lead. The first half was the key to them winning this game (in building 18-point lead; 14 at half).”

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Truly a revealing comment from one of the KU players: "we didnt play to the scouting report...didnt defend the 3ball...". Why they didnt is the golden question, especially after they showed capable of stopping the 3 the game prior vs. Richmond in the very same arena. Oh well, we get to sit at home and watch the Final4 along with the fans of 63 other schools...

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Ralster: This happens all the the time, but get highlighted in a loss. As you know, no team is going to execute perfectly. What is key is the adjustments made by the coach when things aren't going according to reports or plans.

benshawks08 3 years, 7 months ago

The answer to that question is actually in your comment. KU didn't play to the scouting report and defend the 3ball because they were so capable of stopping the 3 the game prior vs Richmond in the very same arena. We prepared so hard to stop Richmond's tedious system that works and works to get that open look (Princeton) that we were unable to completely switch gears and stop the shoot every time you can see the rim approach of VCU. By the time we realized this we were already in deep trouble. They were hot, they were confident, and they were ahead.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

I had copied that text to make essentially the same comment. After reading Coach Self's comment along those lines in another article, the picture of Morrii and Thomas with a sheet of paper had me asking myself if that was the scouting report?

chaggs 3 years, 7 months ago

As a fan, i certainly hope everyone stays. But it's not my future. Do what's best for you! All I as is that you don't hamstring the Jayhawks by waiting for several weeks. I am certain you will all make the right decision!

RCJHGOKANSAS 3 years, 7 months ago

great year....these kids want to win just as bad as anybody....I think fans just need to be fully supportive of them and not complain about what we could have or should have done....I feel sorry for them but in the grand scheme of things...it is just a game...

FSUJHAWK 3 years, 7 months ago

It is disappointing to know the scouting report was not followed. I think this may have something to do with preparing for Richmond's Princeton-style offense all week. As for the big to do regarding the so called trash talking, if true, it was unsportsmanlike for a jayhawk; however I highly doubt it had anything to do with the outcome of the game. We were simply out played by a realy hot team. At any rate, I wish all the boys the best of luck in their future adventures. Regardless of some of our emotional imbalance right now please know that we all love and support you. Represent your university well.

RCJHGKU!!!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 7 months ago

So... the all-regional team was made up of four VCU players and Marcus Morris? I know they played well, but, wow. Sensationalism, anyone? Beak 'em, Butler.

Gregor Southard 3 years, 7 months ago

Morris twins and Tyshawn... declare for the NBA! We need to get back to players like Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, and Darnell Jackson who get it! Thanks for the ride but we need guys who are committed to KU. I'll be rooting for you in the NBA!

ajhk 3 years, 7 months ago

Why don't you sign up with another school? Please?

What a loser. Hate on those players that gave you so much to cheer for. So you only want players that win national championships?

Guess what? So does every other know-nothing, bandwagon, preteen, a-hole, wanna-be fan that on the rare occasion is able to stop himself from licking his bung-hole long enough to scream some hardly intelligible gibberish toward any unfortunates in the vicinity.

FYI- Chalmers left early you moron.

murph 3 years, 7 months ago

There's nothing in the world wrong with the Morris twins and "getting it"! And Tyshawn has been a model citizen since his last suspension. As for your examples, yes, of course I'll agree with Russ Rob and D-Block, but I never thought of Chalmers as any saint. Seems there have been a couple of dust-ups with him as a Pro, too. We need more Nick Collisons, Billy Thomases, Wayne Simiens, Kirk Hinrichs, Scot Pollards, Danny Mannings, Tyrel Reeds, and throw in a couple of Keith Langfords and a Christian Moody for good measure. We better hope we can have the Twins back as seniors (long shot, I know...but possible) and TRob, that Tyshawn keeps his head on straight, that Josh comes out of his funk...

This was a wonderful year. Sure, it ended two games too soon, but only one team gets to cut down those nets at the end. This year, it's not us. The whole journey to San Antoine was something most fans would kill to get.

kukuku 3 years, 7 months ago

Excuse me, but... what?!

The twins carried us for the whole season and were by far our best players, and Tyshawn has been playing phenomenally lately. If you can honestly tell me that you believe we'd actually be better off having them all go pro, I can honestly tell you that you are dumber than a freakin' rock.

hayjawk 3 years, 7 months ago

SHOULD THOSE PLAYERS READ THIS: Please keep in mind that nashhawk does not speak for anywhere near the majority of true Kansas fans. There will always be rotten apples who try to spoil the barrel, but rest assured that 99% of the faithful would love to see this team make another run at the Natonal Championship next year.

Gregor Southard 3 years, 7 months ago

I guess you guys only read the first part of the post. I'm glad they came to KU and I appreciate what they have done. 68-6 doesn't suck! I just meant that they've gone as far as they can here and it's time to go to the NBA. Glad you all got to blow off some steam, though. Hope all the name calling made you feel better!

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Your post, both parts were ridiculous. The "name calling" is what it is, I won't go that route. You have no right to tell a D1 basketball player at a program like KU to "move on." Unless you were in their shoes at one point, which I doubt no one on these boards has been, you don't have an idea what goes into the decision making process. I am sure Coach Self is telling them the same things while he tells them they won't even live up to bar Chalmers at company has set. Not committed to KU? Where did you pull that from? Just seems to me like you don't understand sports and are giving up on a group of special guys. "Gone as far as they can here?" Not really because they all have eligibilty left. It ain't over until it is over. FOE

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Well said manu.

Not only do they have eligibility, but there are always more championships to win. There is also more to their game that can be developed. That doesn't mean that I think they should or shouldn't go, but there is always more game to develop.

Justin Anderson 3 years, 7 months ago

does anyone seriously think this guy is a KU fan? please dont be baited into this loser MU fans trap. He is a troll.

cobweb 3 years, 7 months ago

The basketball gods screwed us. **** happens. No number 1 or 2 seeds in the Final Four.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 7 months ago

I know it's not much consolation, but we were the only No. 1 to make the Elite 8.

Gregor Southard 3 years, 7 months ago

I like I told a friend a couple of weeks ago. 68 teams play, 67 will lose

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

The basketball Gods presented us and unprecedented and easy path the championship game.

If you simply think **** happens, then you might not be looking to the correct source for the failure.

benshawks08 3 years, 7 months ago

Easy by seed but not by match-up. VCU and Richmond had such contrasting styles that that duo would have been tough for anyone. Self had to decide whether he should game plan for Richmond or hope our boys could just go out and beat them on their own. Due to the past I think he decided we are going to beat Richmond and advance then see where we are. I don't think of this game as an upset because it is the elite eight and the winner is now a Final Four team. Any time you lose to a final four team it is not an upset (at least in my opinion). While I agree the basketball gods did not screw us, anyone who says KU had an easy road is kidding themselves. I would much rather have played higher seeded teams if their styles were similar so we didn't need such drastically different approaches.

kusayzone 3 years, 7 months ago

Every team loses its final game in the NCAA tourney except the last winner....And KU joined the list a little early.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

It was a great season, that brought a lot of joy to the Jayhawk nation. Unfortunately, it couldn't be capped with a national championship.

I for one believe, that having so many upsets in our region actually hurt us more. I think if we had to play against Louisville, and ND/Purdue, we would have been in better shape. These unknown schools with nothing to lose, and with our history with them being discussed in every type of media, messes with team's mind.

I'm still proud to be a Jayhawk, where we can always talk about getting a national championship every year. 99% of the schools would kill to be us.

Rock Chalk!!!!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

"Great" .. really? Think about that statement.

We were gifted a golden path to the title game.

I appreciate your loyalty the to program, but I would respectfully suggest that you should expect much more.

68-5, two number one seeds in two seasons, and no final fours? Not "great."

vd 3 years, 7 months ago

10-63 and one final four appearence be better?

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Who said that? Your expectations are too low.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

It's all relative based on your perspective. Why don't you re-read your own last sentence and instead of final fours, add Big 12 championships. Compare that to 99% of other teams and in my opinion, it was a great run; just didn't end as well as it should have.

Of course the loss stings. But I'm sure the guys in the locker room are hurting a lot more than you and I.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Replace final fours with conference titles?

Since when did a conference title have the same satisfaction, or prestige, or accomplishment as a final four?

A final four is what separates us from Missouri. They have conference titles. Multiple final fours is what makes your program elite.

Did we win the conference title in 2003? Answer: Who cares. We made the final four. Did we win the conference title in 1988. Answer: Who cares. Did we win the conference title in 2011? Answer: It doesn't matter much now.

Justin Anderson 3 years, 7 months ago

Think about what you wrote,"68-5 in two seasons...not "great"". are you serious, do you play ANY sport at all? 68-5 ?!?!? think about it. show me one team in ANY SPORT that has that record. you have to be someone who has never played a competitive sport.

HawkBBall 3 years, 7 months ago

I know the lure of the NBA and the money is great. But, think what this team can do next year if you stay in college. Not only can you earn a degree that will benefit you for a lifetime, but you should indeed have the best shot at the crown next year.

You did a fine job this year. Stay for another. Take a chance at being one with their jersey in the rafters of Allen Fieldhouse!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

If ... and I say if .. Robinson and the twins all turn pro, look at our post players for next season. Withey, and, well, Withey.

Two seasons of complete strikeouts on the recruiting trail at the 4 and 5 spots.

If TRob and the twins stay, it should not reduce the concern for what could have been as far as the alarming lack of recruited talent.

benshawks08 3 years, 7 months ago

Man you sure are cranky today. Usually I find your posts well thought out and interesting but right now you are just venting all of your frustrations. Totally your right, and this is definitely the place for that but man it must suck to be that negative at heart. We are all disappointed but some of us are choosing to look on the bright side. As far as recruiting when has Self let us down. We are always stocked and we usually get late signings and sometimes kids who already committed elsewhere. Chill.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

I hear you. Not all venting. But yes, cranky.

We have two years in a row piddled away final four opportunities. My view has been most of this season that our personnel choices have been incorrect. Namely, the exclusion of our most versatile player, Releford. And yesterday, the blind reliance on Reed and Morningstar though the game situation dictated perhaps an adjustment to a different type of player, at least in the last 10 minutes.

And it is a touch concerning when we are trying to get in on a 4 guy who is not top 100, and there is really nothing left at those spots (given the possible departures).

I may not chill completely. I will try to take a deep breath.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

HEM, Some good points. I tend to think that this year hurting so badly is a bi-product of last year. Last year was way way way way worse in my opinion. We were number 1 virtually all year last year and we all know the result. This year alot of us, myself included, didn't really have that high of expectations. I honestly figured we were a sweet 16 team at best at the start of the year, much like 09. Then the team showed atleast to me that they were capable of performing at a very high level, and kind of, for lack of a better way to say, got my hopes up. That coupled with the bad taste of last season still lingering, making me want this year even worse, is by in large the real sting. But I allowed myself to be stung by this. I really really didn't expect them to do this well, and they did. Anyways, it's over now, and nothing can change it. I however do somewhat share your sentiment on the cupboards looking very meager for next season if the Twins leave. Even if Selby stays, we are lacking depth in the paint at the very least. Of course Trob will be great, nothing can stop that, but Withey hasn't developed thus far, and he would have to develop at an exponential rate to be a major contributor next season. And yes, we will most certainly need atleast 1 more major contributor in the post. Where will this major contributor come from? Admittedly Self does seem to work magic on late signings, but even a topnotch freshman big is in my opinion, not going to be enough. Who knows. Now, worst case scenerio, TROB, the TWINs, Selby all leave, we are most likely in the NIT next year and wishing we were losing an NCAA game, in you name the round.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

cragar - How different from '08 is your worst case scenario, if you remove the UNC game where Cole was great? Maybe we end up in the NIT some day, but IMO Self & Co. has too much magic for us to ever end up there.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I guess i don't follow what the UNC game and Cole have to do with what I said. Unless you are comparing Cole in 08' to Withey this year? Which is in my opinion a terrible comparison. And, as ICT says below, find a team that hasn't had this type of fallout and then has to reload. It happens, Im just saying right now the worst case looks bare, Im planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Look at UNC last year, I really doubt if their fanbase thought they would be in the NIT not even one year removed from being the National Champion.

And I said Self usually does magic on late signings. I just am not going to count my chickens until they hatch. This is not negativity, this is realism.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

The comparison wasn't Cole vs. Jeff, but rather a complete lack of front court - except that UNC gave us all kinds of hope that Cole had made significant development. Otherwise, '09 was all about what Coach Self did after the whole crew decided to leave early.

Generally agree with you, and '08 is a great example of what we both know Coach can do.

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

The strikeouts on the recruiting trail are directly related to available playing time. Why would a top post player (top 50? top 75?) come here when we had the Morris Twins & TRob? In the early period (when most of the top recruits committed) it was far less certain that both Twins would be projected first round picks. I know for a fact Markieff and TRob were not projected on any draft boards as first round material. This is why so many programs - UCLA, UNC, Florida, UConn - have had falling off periods before returning to prominence, because it is difficult to recruit without the knowledge that playing time will be available.

Coach Self has kept replenishing the roster with good talent as is needed. If there is indeed another mass exodus of players like we saw following the '08 season, I'm confident that the talent will be recruited back into the program. The difference is that we will likely see a down year. And that could have very easily happened following the championship year, had TT & the Twins all not have de-committed following coaching changes from their first choices. Like I said, it happens everywhere. I would challenge you to point to one program that has been immune to such a scenario.

It will sting and be difficult to watch should there be such a void of talent on the roster for next year, but regardless I would bet that he hits a home run for the '12 class.

jhawkr 3 years, 7 months ago

HEM, I echo your sentiments. Yes, I too am still cranky and why not. 68-5 and no final fours for Oklahoma State would be exciting for them, but shouldn't be for most KU fans.

IF we truly had a good nucleus coming back next year, I might be more excited, but it appears to be a couple of rebuilding years. Assuming the -3- bigs all leave we are screwed six ways to Sunday with Withey and ??. God knows we need them to stay, but even if they do we will still see poor free throw shooting, extended moments of laziness and the inability to defend the 3 point shot.

As for guards, TT was greatly improved and EJ was showing great promise. But Selby short of a busy summer of practice, practice and more practice needs a lot of work. Releford should be good for us, but beyond those -4- who do we have with any ability ? Royce, Niko and Jordan with any new recruits ..........

All in all this loss shouldn't surprise anyone. Our outside shooting sucked, our dismal FT shooting shouldn't have surprised anyone, and other then a couple of token games we have given other teams free reign on shooting wide open 3 point goals all season long. Basically if you are hitting them we dare you to keep shooting ........ I realize they tried their best, but our man to man defense was so bad that thru helping crash down low and chasing we always seemed to leave someone mostly wide open on the 3 point shots.

Bill has his work cut out with the remaining team whoever they end up being and in the recruiting arena.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 7 months ago

How the hell do you not follow the scouting report? Why?

This goes to show these guys thought they were invinsible and knew more than the coaches. Their trash and smack talking doesn't mean a damn thing. I hope they are pleased with their know it all attitude.

gburch 3 years, 7 months ago

Really, no one could see them? (i.e. invinsible) Idiot...

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

It's not invisible either. Give a little grace, tho it is harder when someone rants like that.

tvnolan 3 years, 7 months ago

I completely understand the lure of the NBA and no one can fault any of these guys for wanting to take their shot. But here's my sense on their readiness: - Marcus Morris: Nice outside shot and strong inside. Needs to work on moving feet and staying disciplined on offense. Drops the ball too much inside. Chances of going to NBA: 80% - Markieff Morris: Decent outside shooting but somewhat less aggressive inside. Chances of going to NBA: 50% -Thomas Robinson: Great rebounder. Reminds me of Rodman. Weak on offense with inconsistent jumper. 2 more years in school could make him a first-rounder. -Josh Selby: Really needs work on defense and shot selection. Inconssistent shooter--nothing like Xavier, Sherron, or Mario. Likely 1 more year with KU and then he jumps and probably still too soon at that. My worry about Selby is that he transfers elsewhere.

loyal2thaphog 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know why Selby would want to transfer as this point. With the graduation of Reed, Morningstar, and Little, its unlikely he will be fighting for minutes next year at a program that will be get plenty of "prime-time" T.V. airtime as well as national recognition by the media. If Selby where to transfer, he will have to sit out for one year. For someone who wants to transition to the pros a.s.a.p., that just doesn't make sense. I feel like there's a greater likelihood that he declares for the draft or decides to play in Europe...and I doubt Europe is on his radar.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 7 months ago

Marcus and 'Kief have said whatever one does the other will do. So if one is 80% the other should be as well. As for TRob, who could blame the guy for leaving after the year he's had. He's now supporting his little sister, so if he thinks he's a first round draft pick, he almost has to go and try to put food on the table. But Selby? There's a lot of upside, but good lord, he's nowhere near ready for the next level. He didn't even look ready for Kansas much of the year.

KULA 3 years, 7 months ago

Selby's not gonna transfer. He's 20 years old. He's gone. He was a lottery pick last year based on what the scouts saw of him in high school. He'll go through the NBA compounds, they'll see what he's got, and they'll say, Gosh, why couldn't this guy get off Bill Self's bench. And then they'll look at Bill Self and scratch their heads. And we'll continue to not hear anything about NBA interest in Bill Self.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Markieff has the better 3pt% of the twins.

I think part of Selby's frustration is/has been not playing the 1. He hasn't made the comment in a while (maturity), but there were a few times in January when he commented about being uncomfortable not being the 1. Unfortunately, I think he shot himself in the foot on a few ocassions when given the opportunity. Hopefully, he sees the minutes available, and realizes the opportunity even if TT stays. He could be a great inter-changable tandem/trio, especially if they can teach each other their strengths.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I honestly think if Selby stays, I would probably play him at the 1 next year, and play Tyshawn at the 2. I felt like as a whole Tyshawn was more effective last year at the 2. Not that he didn't do well at times this year at the 1. He really did for not really having a great deal of experience playing the point.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Cragar - Again, generally agreeing with you, tho the one distinction is that Coach Self seems to love big, tough, interchangable back court players that can hit the open jumper/3 and drive. TT & Josh could be a wicked tandem at that with EJ being the 6th man reserve spelling both of them (30/30/20 or slightly less earlier in the year when Coach is experimenting with other player options).

Tyler Daniels 3 years, 7 months ago

We (KU fans) are really spoiled aren't we? Any other school would be tickled to death with a 35-3 record, a conference (7th in a row to be exact) and conference tourny championship and an elite 8 appearance, and here some of us are disappointed. It sucks, yeah, but we did in fact have a great season. Can't wait until next year! Rock Chalk!

hayjawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Today there are so many snakes coming out of the newly mowed grass. I just hope those kids who gave us so much this past year aren't paying attention.

hawk4evr 3 years, 7 months ago

This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum. Self never had control of the team this year. Cheap shots on the court, trash talking, suspensions, criminal charges, etc. Is this really what Kansas basketball is now all about. Apparently we have traded ghetto flash for KU class. We can talk the talk but not walk the walk. The best thing that could happen for KUBB next year is for the Morri and TO Taylor to leave. It will be a down year in terms of victories but maybe HBCS can start reestablishing KU basketball as it has been for over 100 years. That is assuming he wants to.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Morrii and TT haven't been model citizens during their time here, but you haven't been paying attention if you haven't seen the growth. And they finished, refined products? No. I'm just glad that Coach Self has stuck with them and is helping them learn to be better players and people.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 7 months ago

A lot of talk of "we" from Reed, when "he" was the weakest link in that game.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Kid has maybe the worst shooting day of his life, and all you can do is call him the weakest link. Fights hard the whole game, still manages to put up 9 points, grab 5 rebounds, and a steal, while shooting the best freethrow percentage of everyone on the team for the day. I understand that the this loss sucks, it sucks for everybody, but you are just being irrational. Maybe you can hate a guy after 4 years of meritorious service to the University of Kansas, and KU Basketball, but I can not. I don't know how you can even call yourself a fan. Sleep tight!!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Well said Cragar. Strikewso does tend to be a bit of a strikeout on post, so at least he's being consistent.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Lots of people, when they post here(admittedly I have done it)act on impulse, or on emotion. Much the same way the Morris Twins and others play their game on the floor. Trouble is, many of us, myself included get mad at the players when they let their emotions get the best of them. I. E. elbowing and taunting. Then we come here and do the same thing only we use a keyboard and hide behind a screen name. They are in the national spotlight, so it looks worse sometimes, but it's not. So I'll now be showing remorse and apolagize for the times I have let my emotions get the best of me on this board, and resolve to do everything I can to keep myself calm, cool, and collected. And I'll ask others to join me in this quest. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 7 months ago

The twins should declare, not hire and agent, see what Kieff's stock looks like and then decide.

Tyshawn should declare, not hire an agent, and come back for his last go-round.

Robinson and Selby should stay.

I think that the twins are gone. I think everyone else is coming back. I am not an expert, and haven't looked at any draft projections.

rcjhparker 3 years, 7 months ago

WOW!!! This is the same feeling I had last year!! In my opinion this is the second consecutive year where I truly felt we had THE best team in the country and we keep coming up short!! I love march madness but it's such a gut buster!! I hope that the Morris twins and Tyshawn come back because I believe we can and will get it done!! As far as Josh Shelby.....I can't even believe he is contemplating turning pro?? I thought it was a joke but I understand he will be drafted on potential and not what he has produced. If he doesn't mature then he might just be the biggest disappointment to ever where the crimson and blue!!!! All in all....great season guys!!! Thanks for the ride and come back and let's DO THIS!!!

Layne Pierce 3 years, 7 months ago

Drafting on potential means that really dumb people make dumb picks in order to get 10% success rate. The majority of the players are pathetic. They either get cut, or are relegated to bench mediocrity--DNP coaches decision. The Morriss Twins have the total game that teams look for, especially Marcus. They will not play together as pros. Selby has no high level mental game. He has physical and skill talents, but the rest of his game is still high school. I also would like to see him at the point, because that is where he will be in the pros. Next year, I think with a full season, that he is quite likely to be playing the point. Tyshawn will move over and be given the toughest guard to defend. Elijah will get the second toughest. We will press more. TRob is a perfect example of a kid who stays and becomes incredibly good, and a success as a pro, or takes the money and marches into oblivion. Pros, the very idea?!!!

William Weissbeck 3 years, 7 months ago

Here is the trick that must drive the elite coaches absolutely crazy - recruit the top kids, who qualify, who can be coached into your style, if really talented are either an immediate impact - John Wall or Kyrie Irving, or develop by tournament time - Brandon Knight, Harrison Barnes, or fly just under the NBA radar until they truly dominate - Kemba Walker. Or do the truly impossible like Florida and KU a few years ago to keep the core a full 4 years. Here's to hoping that Selby stays, along with Taylor and Robinson, and one of the twins (surely there is enough money for one of them in the NBA to help the family). The NBA throws too much money at guys who will never have any real impacts - Aldrich and Harrongody from a year ago, that it really corrupts the decision making process. I hate criticizing coaches having myself never coached or played at any level beyond Pee-Wee, but a 1-6 record in the Elite 8 is not good. Roy's wasn't much better. Self has always been I think the lower seed in all those loses except against G Tech and this year. Maybe any successful team has to have an impact guard which we don't.

William Weissbeck 3 years, 7 months ago

Another (probably lame) thought. Maybe Aldrich, Collins and Simeon should sit these guys down and explain the difference between being an NBA star and playing in the developmental league. I no longer watch much of the tournament until the Final Four rolls around. How the rest of you are still alive if you've watched all the way since 1985 is beyond me. '97 Arizona and '98 Rhode Island (Rams!) did me in. So I didn't watch the game, but listened to parts. When we got within 2, that's when we needed defensive toughness, but didn't exhibit it. The twins were on the bench part of that time. We got to within 5, but then Taylor launched a 3. It was a game we never had control of, which is how higher seeds usually get beaten. Guards control games, and ours didn't this day - but it wasn't for lack of effort. Reed and Morningstar bleed Crimson and Blue, and like Turgeon, but for the fact that are Kansans, they'd be playing in the Missouri Valley. But would we rather watch a team of one and dones or a bunch of guys who win or lose represent something besides themselves? When all is said and done, do you think Reed wants to be remembered for going 1 for 7? Is that how you want to remember?

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 7 months ago

This recruiting season is now more important than ever if the twins do indeed leave. Someone earlier posted about our lack of post players and they're right on. Even if TRob stays, Withey hasn't proven physical enough to play in the Big XII night in/night out. But I have faith that Self will pull another rabbit out of his hat during the late signing period. Maybe Daniels will see this as an opportunity for immediate playing time, along with McLemore.

tophersdad 3 years, 7 months ago

There have been quite a few teams in the final four. There are the familiar names. Duke has been there. UNC and UCLA have cut their teeth. Kentucky has done whatever it took, through the years, to get there. Indiana is one we all know, along with Purdue, Indiana State, Notre Dame, and Butler from that state. Michigan and Michigan State are familiar with the experience. UConn seems to visit the FF often. West Virginia and Virginia have been there. Florida is a newcomer. Other visitors to the final four have been Villanova, Memphis, Ohio State, Georgetown, George Mason, LSU, and Illinois. Louisville has won it all. Georgia and Georgia Tech have been there, along with Okie State, Syracuse, Texas, Marquette, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Arizona. Wisconsin has been to the FF, as have Utah, Stanford, Minnesota, UMass, and Mississippi State. Arkansas has been there, along with Cincinnati, UNLV, Seton Hall, Houston, NC State, and Houston and, wait, Providence?. I know that St John’s was once a power, But, Iowa and Iowa State have both been? Other FF visitors have been DePaul, and Penn. Awww.. come on!!.. UNC Charlotte, and Rutgers went to the final four? Florida State has danced in the final four. So have Western Kentucky, Jacksonville, New Mexico State, and whaaat? Saint Bonaventure? Drake went? Dayton was there, too? And so was the school that is now referred to as UTEP! Loyola (IL) was in the final four, as was Oregon State, St Joseph’s (of PA), Cal and NYU!! Temple has been to the final four. Seattle made it, along with San Francisco U, LaSalle, SMU, Penn State, Bradley, and COLORADO?!! Washington went to the FF. So did USC, Santa Clara, Oregon State, Baylor, Holy Cross, Dartmouth, Wyoming, Washington State, Pittsburgh, Duquesne, and the City College of New York!! OHHHH!!! And all three Kansas schools have been there, KU, K State, and Wichita State!! And now let’s welcome VCU to the list!!

Wow… did anyone notice that I did not mention any institution from the State of Missouri?

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self spoke at a deal I went to last year, and he started with a joke that went...

As I'm driving by Columbia, I see a sign for a 14 hole golf course. Curious, I pull over at a gas station and ask the attendant "why a 14 hole golf course?" to which he replied "we're Missouri, we've never made the final 4!" As you can imagine, he had the room from the get go.

Sally Presson 3 years, 7 months ago

Can you imagine next year's team if the twins come back, T-Rob, Tyshawn and Josh matures and gets with the program and Alijah is here to stay. We'd kick some serious butt!!! What a great year we've had and you guys act like we've not won the big one for a long time. Wasn't it only 3 years ago? Come on--gotta look to next year. We've got the best coaches in the country and VCU is a won & done, bet they won't even be in the NCAA tournament next year.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

True it's only been 3 years, but my hoodie is getting tattered and faded. lol Personally I like the fact that expectations are high at KU, but without some disappointment, you can't appreciate victory.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 7 months ago

Anybody else feel like Mizzou's DESTINED to hire Shaka as their next head basketball coach? Shaka's NOT FROM the East Coast....he's from Wisconsin (Midwest).

Now one thing I will say is that REALISTICALLY if the rumors are that the NBA's in a similar situation as the NBA then I have a hard time seeing anybody leave....the one's least justified in leaving would HAVE TO be Taylor & Selby. Morris's are projected well and ready, but again, if there's going to be a lockout what's the point unless you're like one of those top 3 - 5 picks a'la Derrick Williams, Irving, Barnes (for example).

If we bring everybody back I hope that means more time for Elijah, Selby, Releford & Withey next year along with mixing in a newcomer (DeAndre Daniels? McLemore? that JuCo C they're talking about).

Yeah, things would look bleak if everyone who's rumore to have interest left.....even then I think you could still see a team of Elijah, McLemore, Releford, that JuCO transfer or someone for PF & Withey.....even in the worst of circumstances we'll ALWAYS be no worse than like an 8 or 9-seed.

I don't think I EVER see us going the way of Indiana and suddenly become irrelevant.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 7 months ago

The NBA does look like it will lock out, but agents are telling the players that even if they don't get paid next year, they will be one year closer to their second contract, which is the big payday...

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey, it's a game. NCAA basketball is a game. Fortunately, once again Kansas University was in the thick of the running for national glory at season's end. Coaches and institutions by the hundreds crave trips to the Elite 8. The Kansas Jayhawks were still standing this past weekend as one of the best and/or luckiest hoops teams in America. On a day when freethrows and 3 pt. shots refused to fall, we were outscored by an ambitious opponent which Lady Luck blessed with higher percentages in both categories. End of season. Period. Time to lick wounds for a few days, reunite at a very congratulatory awards banquet, then get back in the gym with steady focus and determination for rebirth of another great season.
Best of all good wishes to seniors or departing players...and a huge display of hope and dreams for those who return to usher in another thrilling season of Jayhawk Basketball. Once again, returning players, do us up proud! RCJH!

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 7 months ago

If you guys are wondering.....draft projections would put a HUGE dent in our frontcourt. Chad Ford of ESPN has Tho. Robinson like 21st, Mc. Morris 24th and Mk. Morris 27th.

You won't find a Kansas G until the 2nd Rd. and before the year started Selby was like an easy lottery selection.

The dude would be an ABSOLUTE MORON if he didn't come back and make it back into a first round projection again.

While Robinson has the highest projection, and it's obvious that he has family to aid, he doesn't seem as polished offensively as the twins do.

The twins are ready and I think the only reason they wouldn't go is if they're afraid of the league locking the players out.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if Shaka is destined to go to mizzou, but I will say that it looks like they may be waiting on him to be done for the year, or got turned down by Matt Painter, and are pursuing some other unfortunate soul.

I have wondered about OU as well. Are they waiting for Brad Stevens to be done for the year? I have heard nothing at all about their search for a coach.

Anybody got any recruiting news?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Mizzoo might hope, but I can't imagine Matt leaving Purdue for mizzoo. There is just no comparison, except maybe in some tigger pee brain.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I can't imagine that anyone wants to go to misery. But on the other hand Im kind of hopeful that they get a decent coach just because it's better for the league. With Tad and Doc leaving the league, I think that hurts somewhat. Billy G coming back is a good thing, I think a good hire at misery, and likewise at OU makes the league better, and essentially makes us better.

loyal2thaphog 3 years, 7 months ago

While I don't pay for a subscription to kansas.rivals.com, check out the front page to get an idea of what things could potentially look like... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see (or speculate for that matter) that IF there is a mass exodus of Jayhawks to the NBA draft, (it appears) there will be no shortage of high school seniors ready be enrolled and on campus come fall, especially (really want to emphasize the especially) (highly regarded) big men who would have the opportunity to not only play for immediate playing time, but work with the one and only Danny Manning. If anyone is "worried" about what our potential rotation at the 4-5 spot may look like if the "law firm" and t-rob take their talents to enter NBA team here_...Get Real. There's a reason why H.S. seniors ever year in the top 100 wait to see how everything will play out. Kansas is regarded as an "elite level" program. We may not sign a couple of big men who are top 5 at the position, but I'm just as comfortable signing a guy with size, lots of upside, and a strong work ethic.

Who knows what is going to happen, there may not even be an NBA season. I will say, if there is an NBA season, this could shape up to be one of the more interesting off-seasons we have had in recent memory.

RCJH

jhawkr 3 years, 7 months ago

The problem is that most of the 4 and 5 star recruits have already committed to other institutions. Not too many left at this point and we aren't the only gig around. What concerns me is that we only have one recruit and one walkon to this point. Disappointing !

loyal2thaphog 3 years, 7 months ago

Ben Mclemore- 4 SG... announcing on April 3 Jamari Traylor 3 star PF Braeden Anderson 3 star PF Deandre Daniels 4 star SF Otto Porter 4 star SF (6"9")

IF there are vacancies, they aren't going to go unfilled for very long... lower rated recruits can be a blessing in disguise... sure, your not going to win immediately, but they will be here for the long haul, and all have the potential to develop into terrific players... a la Derrick Williams or Keith Langford for that matter.

bbhawk234 3 years, 7 months ago

I love it how Kstate and Misery fans sign up to our site and pretend to be Ku fans. Just shows how obsessed they really are when it comes to KU. We should be be flattered with their obsession. Thanks guys for showing us your love.