Friday, March 25, 2011

Sweet-talking: KU’s Marcus Morris has words of wisdom for Richmond Spiders

Marcus (with ball) and Markieff Morris encounter Richmond players in a golf cart at the Alamodome on Thursday, March 24, 2011. During the encounter, Marcus said, “You boys better be ready.”

Videos

Pregame: KU vs. Richmond

video thumbnail

Kansas takes on Richmond in the Sweet Sixteen of the 2011 NCAA Tournament.

— Marcus Morris bounced a basketball while walking down an Alamodome hallway with brother Markieff and TBS announcer Craig Sager on Thursday afternoon.

Small talk was interrupted when a cart carrying a couple Richmond players drove by.

“You boys better be ready,” Morris, Kansas University’s junior forward, said to the Spiders, who take a No. 12 seeding and 29-7 record into today’s 6:27 p.m. Southwest Regional semifinal contest against top-seeded KU (34-2).

Morris, who has become a bit more outspoken the past month or so as he’s embraced an unofficial role as team leader, seemed surprised when a reporter asked if he was simply joking around with the Spiders.

“I was serious,” Morris said. “Play little mind games with them, try to get funny with them so they could come out all excited, and we could come out all loose and have the shoe on the other foot.

“You know how some people try to put the tough face on sometimes and try to not show their emotions? I am the type of guy who wears my emotions on my sleeve. You can tell if I’m mad or not mad.”

Regarding this particular comment ...

“I am so serious,” Morris said. “I want their best shot. A lot of people say we should win and things like that. That’s not the truth. Everybody is here to play. They have beaten capable teams this year. It’s time to go.”

To advance to Sunday’s Elite Eight game against either VCU or Florida State, the Jayhawks must overcome a Richmond team that enters today’s Sweet 16 as red-hot as any team in the land.

The Spiders of the Atlantic 10 Conference — who are led by the inside-outside punch of 6-foot-10 Justin Harper (17.8 ppg, 6.9 rpg) and 6-foot Kevin Anderson (16.7 ppg, 3.3 apg) — have won nine of 10 games, 13 of 14 and 18 of 21.

What’s more, the Spiders have five starters capable of shooting the three, including Harper, who has made 75 of 166 treys for 45.2 percent.

“We’ve played other teams where all five could shoot threes. Iowa State ... all five of their guys could shoot threes. We beat them twice,” Morris said. “There’s a small adjustment knowing we need to run them off the (three-point) line, to guard them tighter and know what they are trying to get.”

Morris, who is 6-9, 235 pounds, said he figures to open defensively on the 6-10, 225 Harper.

“A lot of people say he’s a great player, good player. A lot of people say I’m a good player. So just see who is the best player,” Morris said.

Morris played at camps this past summer with Anderson, who along with Harper is an experienced senior.

“He’s definitely a good point guard, a little smaller but definitely good,” Morris said, “but I like our point guards better.”

KU coach Bill Self praised Richmond’s high-scoring duo Thursday.

“If you are going to have a 1-2 punch, it might as well be a little and a big. That’s pretty good,” Self said. “What do they average together, 32 a game? It’s one thing to average 32 if you are scoring 85 a game. If a team’s scoring 70 (as Richmond is), it makes it more impressive.”

Specifically regarding Harper and Anderson, Self said: “I think anybody 6-10 that can shoot threes and post is a hard matchup. He’s good, long, athletic. Anderson is a hard matchup. He’s really good.”

Richmond not only presents a challenge with its personnel, but its system. The squad plays a Princeton-style offense and matchup zone defense.

“We’ve been guarding teams that do backdoor cuts,” Marcus Morris said. “Colorado ... they do it with the best of them. Memphis does it with backdoor cuts. We are ready for that.”

Noted Self, who insisted Richmond wants to play fast, but is capable of slowing things down when the advantage is not there: “We can’t give up layups. We can’t give up threes. There could be a lot of times in late-clock situations you are caught guarding somebody you don’t normally guard, maybe a twin on a point guard or a point guard on a Harper, something like that. We have to make sure we are tough in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock.

“(Offensively) we have to be in attack mode the whole time, get the ball where it needs to go.”

As far as intangibles, the Jayhawks insist they won’t be nervous facing a potential Cinderella team and also will not overlook the Spiders.

“We are over that ‘tight’ thing,” junior Tyshawn Taylor said. “We are just trying to play now. Richmond is here for a reason. We will play them like we would Duke, Ohio State or whoever else is a 1 or 2 seed. If we come out with the mind-set that they could beat us, I think we’ll be fine. We’ve got to be tuned in. That’s a way to be tuned in, knowing we could be beat if we don’t come to play.”

Another way to be tuned in? To be as fired up as Marcus Morris, who showed that intensity in speaking to the Spiders as they drove by in the cart Thursday.

“I don’t want to go that far. I can’t go that far,” Morris said, when it was pointed out he didn’t guarantee a victory or say anything too inflammatory. “Then coach just might get on my back. I can’t do that. I just tell those guys to be ready, because we are gonna be ready.”

Comments

100 3 years, 7 months ago

Talk the talk....

walk the walk....

Own the Statsheet....

And...

Smash!!!

the!!!!!

Spiders!!!!!

Michael Luby 3 years, 7 months ago

Lets get hyped up Jayhawks!! Stomp some Spider guts!!

BernieLomax 3 years, 6 months ago

Beat Richmond!!! Team ball will get this win! Rock chalk now let's exterminate these spiders!!!

Now please everybody, when we win the title in April, make sure to do 'The Jayhawk Bernie' dance Down Mass Street!! This dance is taking the midwest by storm!

'Jayhawk bernie' Instructional video Can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7HpL...

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 6 months ago

Stupidest thing I've ever seen. Sorry dude.

kufaninmo 3 years, 6 months ago

if by stupidest you really mean AWESOMEST!!! sheeeeyet...

DSommersby 3 years, 7 months ago

Lets go JAYHAWKS!!! I believe Richmond has an excellent team and excellent coaching staff. They present a very big challenge.

I just really want to see the Hawks tuned in like Taylor says and follow the scouting report Coach Self and the staff have given you. Keep your cool and keep playing and win the next play.

Move the ball, share it, pound it inside and take smart shots. On defense....challenge their shooters. Make the Spider players have to put the ball on the deck and beat us off the bounce. Get on them and smother their looks. Play tough, and secure all rebounds. This will be a Man's Game. Need to go win 80% of the 50/50 balls. Come out with great passion and take it to them. Play with a free mind, and most importantly --- Lets Play. Go out there and play Kansas Jayhawk Basketball. Just give it all you got, play your game and we can do this! Rock Chalk!

Dee Shaw 3 years, 6 months ago

You might want to take Wisconsin off this list.

CaliLAWhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

The Alamodome is a sacred spot for KU and one that will forever be revisited by the NCAA history books, go out and defend it like it is James Naismith Court. The teams that we've faced like Richmond have not been embarrassed by KU by any means. Colorado, Memphis and other long, well-shooting teams have given us some of our best games this year. BE READY. BE CONFIDENT and let's have a Riverwalk celebration akin to the one(s) in April 2008. RCJ

actorman 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm normally not a superstitious guy, but on Wednesday I couldn't help but be a little creeped out:

My office is on the eighth floor. A few weeks ago, they started working on the eighth-floor bathroom so I had to start using the one on the seventh floor. Until Wednesday, I had never noticed the company name on the door as I got off the elevator on 7. Then Wednesday, I happened to look up and noticed the name: UNI. Needless to say, my blood ran cold (my memory had just been sold, angel is the centerfold -- but I digress).

Okay, I don't seriously think it means anything, but I knew that I had to share the story here because no one else would understand. Thanks for listening.

KU79 3 years, 6 months ago

So you peed on UNI. Sounds good to me.

KU79 3 years, 6 months ago

So you peed on UNI. Sounds good to me.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

Good thing you didn't go to the fifth floor. I hear that's where Bucknell, Inc. has their offices!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

Holy Cross LLC had signed a lease for space but was rejected by the Kraft United Company who owns the building.

JayCeph 3 years, 6 months ago

You took the elevator down one flight of stairs?

TXChalker 3 years, 6 months ago

Hawks need to have the same kind of intensity and desire they had leading up to and playing tu in the Big 12 Championship. I think they do. No looking forward. Just get the job done tonight. All we need to do is do what we do best and the end result will be the Elite 8!!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Beat Richmond.

TXChalker 3 years, 6 months ago

I was just offered a ticket to the game and GET TO GO. I work with Dr. Randall's brother, Preston, who is a lawyer here, and he has seats in the first level!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

Very nice indeed! Cheer for all us lounge chair commentators and enjoy.

It's true, it is good to be a Jayhawk!

Chad Dexter 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually. the last time one of the twins talked a little smack to the other team, they followed it up by whooping Texas for the Big 12 Tournament title.

JHawk252 3 years, 6 months ago

Well, actorman, if KU loses, I guess we'll know who to blame.

akl6593 3 years, 6 months ago

Just back up that talk on the court! That is where "he do what he do"...

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 6 months ago

ahh, yes. Kinda like Bill Self "do what he do" in the locker room.

tdscpa 3 years, 6 months ago

Big Mr. Morris stood on a ball court, shooting and stuffing the ball.

Along came a spider and tried to bite him, So Marcus squashed it with his shoe.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 6 months ago

Being a cocky fool is almost as bad as Craig Saeger's wardrobe. Do you talking on the court in your play Morris (both of you because you bothdo this). This is your moment! Take it! This Richmond squad is for real, AND they are disciplined from what I saw. MC and MK, TT, everyone - make sure you make tonight one to remember for generations to come. Play smart, play together, play disciplined for THE ENTIRE GAME. With that said there are no guarentees - this Richmond squad has us in their cross hairs so go take it because no one is going to give it away. RCJHGKU

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

Speaking of Saeger, isn't that him on the left in the photo?

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and nothing is more Awesome than the pink blazer he broke out last week!!!

RockCaCO3 3 years, 6 months ago

Not big on trash talking, but I like his moxie. Especially because he can back it up.

Rock Chalk

jayhawktalk 3 years, 6 months ago

I think Pitino is still picking Notre Dame to beat KU.

SaulGood 3 years, 6 months ago

At this point, we've had those tough losses when we thought we were ready. We've had those losses when circumstances conspired. All the losing we'll have left, if any, will be from faltering confidence.

Normally, I could do without the comment to the Richmond players. Today, though, I take it as Marcus recognizing what they have and rattling some cages. You know, Richmond might just take that comment and concentrate on shutting Marcus down on the floor...and in the process, forget about the other nine .50-caliber weapons we have on the bench. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

We've got a team that can do it all.

Play as a team tonight.

Play with integrity.

Believe in your floormates.

You've had a great season...now have some fun.

R. C. J. H.

floridajayhawks 3 years, 6 months ago

Got to say this game tonight makes me nervous.

jhkprd 3 years, 6 months ago

All of the games make me nervous. But that's what it's all about.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

I will take a little talk from Marcus, let him get going early and go out and back himself up by his play.

This team should be motivated, to bash the demons of early exits past. They should be ready to roll through a tough stretch because of the seniors and a 3yr starting PG.

Just like at amusement parks, keep your head on strait, keep your elbows in and don't stop until the tournament comes to a complete end.

delo 3 years, 6 months ago

Really that big a deal? He said it way after they passed by, they probably didn't even hear it. It's not as though he said it to their face. Blown way out of proportion.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 6 months ago

Shut up and play!

This crap just shows his immaturity.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Unrelated, but if you're a Godfather fan, this link is hilarious. Best part of the list: John Calipari as Fredo Corleone. Obviously, Coach Self makes an appearance too.

Coaches as Godfather characters:

tis4tim 3 years, 6 months ago

Didn't you already write that article on here a while back?

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

"Tough the last ten seconds." --Self

Bill and Eddie have been talking again.

This is pure take-what-they-give-us.

This is brilliant.

Let me explain.

Defense is first about reducing an opponent's opportunity set by channelling him one way.

Specifically, you make pre-emptive spatial and temporal choices that allow you to better anticipate where the opponent will be and how long the opponent will be there, before you actually set about stopping the opponent.

Channel the opponent.

Stop the opponent.

Put another way, you shape the battle field, then you fight. You try to determine where and when the battle will occur.

For example, do we funnel an opponent to baseline, and use the baseline as a passive 6th defender, or do we funnel the opponent into the paint where there is always help and potential for disruption, plus a three second time limit pressuring them?

Self prefers funneling opponents into the paint, where help can be more active and aggressive in disruption, than a baseline can be. Baselines, though immovable, don't have hands. Self wants to stop you with a swarming, mobile defense that will hunt you down, whereever you run, not a Maginot line at the end of the court that the offense will run away from anyway. He wants to go for the stop in the paint, as far from the hoop as possible, with the most help possible, because the shooting percentage is highest there. He prefers to leave the baseline least defended, because the shooting percentages are lower there and because if the offender does escape to baseline, then his defender always has the baseline as a passive defender to fall back on to help him contain the escapee.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

With "tough the last ten seconds," Self is making another pre-emptive channelling choice--this one set in the temporal realm. Self is saying the defensive strategy is to funnel Princeton into the last ten seconds. Self is saying the Princeton is much more controllable the last ten seconds, because it has lost the luxury of scrolling through its six plays.

Carril has said the Princeton is basically a script of six plays that run in 25-30 seconds. Each play has some options to keep it from being too predictable to a defense.

The concept is: make each possession dense with offense. Consistently cram a lot of offensive plays into each possession.

The expectation is: a defense that has to guard more offense is more likely to make a mistake that can be converted to a basket.

The key assumption is: an offense running more plays per possession can hold down its TOs, while the defense will make more more mistakes to be scored after.

Self in turn is saying each possession the Princeton is a cat with 6 lives, and it is best to go for the stop, when it only has one life left--the last ten seconds.

Self is saying something else, too. It doesn't matter who you are guarding the last ten seconds, so long as you guard them hard. Why? Because the Princeton is weak at finding mis-matches with only ten seconds remaining.

The Princeton is designed to shake players loose from their defenders for open shots, not find the match-up advantage that lets someone go get a basket.

So: "tough the last ten seconds."

Sally Presson 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't like trash talk either, but I do think Marcus is trying to hype our guys up. I still remember when Jock Vaughn made the unkindly remark about Baylor via an interview, they plastered it all over the Baylor news, the coaches put it on the players lockers and they beat the crap out of us. I do feel the boys are ready and have a good mind set, after last night and Duke getting beat and Florida, it unnerving to say the least, but comparing this team to last year's team, these guys are not only bonded as a team, they are bonded with Coach Self and they don't like loosing. It's count down time and the Hawks will prevail!!!!

On to Houston!!! Rock Chalk

FarSideHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't remember Jacque Vaughn saying anything like that. I believe we actually beat Baylor pretty soundly in Jacque's senior year.

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

Haha. Can you see Jacque talking stuff? Hilarious. Unless you are Casius Clay, poems don't really work as effective smack.

waywardJay 3 years, 6 months ago

He actually did saying to the extent of.... It is Just baylor..... emphasis on Baylor being a lower team at the time.

It wasn't as much smacktalk as it was, a slight.

Jacque paid for his insolance in part thanks to Wendall Greenleaf and Brian Skinner.

But that was a true road game, against a team that WAS as slight as Jacque suggested, and under a coach that only taught the game 1 dimensionally.

I have to trust that Marcus is more prepared to back up his talk, and Bill who can coach his way out of trouble will be ready for any trouble ( Personally, I doubt that Richmond would use it as bulletin board material.... I mean, If Richmond ISN'T ready.... no amount of words by Marcus will make them ready. )

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 6 months ago

This is GOOOOOD!

Jaybate, You may need to take Marcus' comments into consideration when you factor the Hawk Amp Meter this evening, I think there will be plenty of "voltage"!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 6 months ago

i would rather not have the comments directly to them, but Marcus is who he is....so as long as we can back it up, it's all good.

KU 75 Richmond 62

Go Jayhawks!

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

Duke didn't just lose.

Duke got its ass kicked.

But in Duke's defense, Torridzona shot 60% from trey!

So: it likely would have been a close game on a normal shooting night.

But much as I savor Duke being beat down, what really gets my juices flowing is knowing that Zona has now had its hot hand for the tourney.

Zona likely will lose Saturday, as it shoots back to its average, or the following game. Sooner, or later, it is going to have an awful shooting night and that will be the end of Zona.

What could be better? Two of the biggest cheap shotting teams in basketball (Texas being third) signed, sealed and delivered to failure.

Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 6 months ago

what about Florida last night. They were pretty intent and deliberate with their cheap-shotting with the purpose of slowing the Jimmer.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

With all of they hype over mid-majors or under dogs or lower seeded teams winning one has to wonder what the affect is on the coaches of those teams.

Here is what Im getting at, VCU's Shaka Smart and Richmond's Chris Mooney are in unchartered territory, not only for their teams but in their professional careers. How many times have their agents called them with possible job offers? Where is their mind at with trying to slay Goliath? Can I stay a hot commodity if I lose this weekend? If I get one win here and then lose should I stay and try and build on my success to get an even better job offer than I will get in the next few weeks?

It's not just about the players and their thoughts, where are the coaches?

Fred Davis 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure how telling players from the oppposite team zooming by in a golf cart that they'd better be ready equates to trash talk, but whatever it's called, I like it. For too many years, KU - especially under Roy - was soft, and the team never had an enforcer, a dude that just got into the minds and under the skin of the other team.

The Morris Twins and their Philly Bravado do that.

While most are expecting a close game, some are calling this an upset special, I expect KU to come out guns blazing tonight and win this game by double-digits going away. 79-63 Kansas.

Rock Chalk.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 6 months ago

Have to agree, totally. Given McM's, uh, past history with trash talk, "better be ready" is practically polite and respectful. I like this one because of the attitude it shows that is coming from our guys. The only thing that would have made this a perfect pre-game scenario is the Richmond guys in the cart responding, "You'd better be ready, too."

Hank Cross 3 years, 6 months ago

Trash talk designed to get into an opponent's head and get a psychological advantage -Fine.

Trash talk that is just humilation of a beaten opponent - Not.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

Just thought of another headline for tomorrow morning:

Pesky Spiders run out of silk as Jayhawks fly away with victory.

Paul Meyer 3 years, 6 months ago

Several random comments:

1) The opening montage / title sequence for the CBS/T-Networks tourney this year warms the heart and stirs the soul every time the sequence of Mario's Miracle and the 2008 Champs plays.

2) Similar to above: Wonder if they ever thought about playing the Allen Fieldhouse opening montage before tourney games in the Jayhawks locker room? Talk about a pep talk.

3) Coach Self and the players say it's all about match ups; not seeding. I agree wholeheartedly. Although this year's tourney, and I wonder what the stats are for previous years, it appears as though a greater percentage of the lower seed teams fair better against possible cinderallas when they play on the second day for rounds. Friday and Sunday games vs. Thursday and Saturday games. (Hope this question makes sense. My analysis is purely observational.)

afilmer 3 years, 6 months ago

you know what - i love that this year's brand of hawks has some toughness to them and a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. i watched teams that were talented but soft loose to squads that punched us in the mouth and threw us off our game for years under the coach that came after larry. HCBS has continually brought in guys that can stand tall and punch back (hopefully not literally but it has been known to happen).

Go Hawks!

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

"...guys that can stand tall and punch..."

Like Sean Alverado in the exhibition game versus the Russian National team? Wasn't that in 1988 or so?

No need for fisticuffs in this game. Play tough but smart and the Hawks will prevail.

Steve Kubler 3 years, 6 months ago

I am good with Marcus telling them they had better be ready as we are ready. I may no longer be considered politically correct but having a bit of an attitude in sports is just fine and dandy in my eyes. You can be friends after the game but before hand you are competitors and there is no sin in showing your feelings.

I remember being questioned before a ball game (i was 6-7) back in the dark ages. When asked if we were going to win if I'd gone all touchy feelie with a non committal response my dad would have kicked my ass. I of course told them Hell Yeah! or at least the 6 year old version of that. Gawd I miss the 60's because now people complain if you state the obvious fact that in your mind you are better than the other guy/gal/team/whatever. Sadly, if you do not feel that way you likely are not at the top of your game. So why do we expect people to act all meek and mild when they are obviously, in at least Marcus's case one of the elite in their field?

Yes it can go to far and there are limits you should not cross. He is far from those limits.

Sorry for the rant, but this cookie cutter world we are supposed to fit in offends me!

slowplay 3 years, 6 months ago

"The Spiders of the Atlantic 10 Conference have won nine of 10 games, 13 of 14 and 18 of 21." The Jayhawks of the Big 12 Conference have won 15 out of the last 16 and 34 out of the last 36.

KU 78, Richmond 63

slowplay 3 years, 6 months ago

The problem with the field of 68 is the watered down talent. Richmond beats Vanderbilt and Moorhead State, who had a combined 21 loses between them, and now we have a Varsity vs JV type game. Sure, Richmond has a chance but unless the Twins foul out in the first 10 minutes and KU misses every outside shot this game will be a blowout. KU will up 20+ by the half and coast to 15-20 point victory.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 6 months ago

I can't wait for this game tonight! I'm normally not a fan of trash talk, but this was pretty tame for the Morrii. I think it just shows that Marcus is ready and confident, which can't be bad. Now walk the walk Marcus! And please, for the love of Kansas hoops, make your free throws. Not just Marcus...the entire team. Let's not be the '08 Memphis Tigers!

Rock Chalk!

ObiWan 3 years, 6 months ago

I love the swagger of this year's team. All great teams have their own distinctive personality, and this team seems to feel like they can take on the world. Feed the post, feed the post, feed the post. The twins are hungry for arachnid!

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

The gauntlet has been thrown down. No turning back. I fully expect Richmond to pick it up, Marcus. I think you know this. That's why you did it.

What you probably don't realize is that it's a self-motivational tool. Because it's tiny Richmond, it means you have respect for your opponent, and that you're harboring a little fear of them. That's good. You know it's time for the "A" game or spend the rest of your life trying to live "it" down.

My fear is that you forgot to ask the family if they felt the same way. You know, if you could speak for them. You've put yourself on an island. That's not FOE. And I'm guessing some of them would rather have remained silent, including family member Bill Self. You need to think about that.

Also, it's not the kind of move you make before playing the likes of Richmond. You should beat Richmond on smarts and ability alone. No extra motivation or mind games needed. This is the kind of trash you pull out before playing Ohio State or Florida, or Puke.

In the grand scheme of things you've given me no reason to doubt you this season, so I've got your back. But you need to go out there and lead the charge and knock them out!

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

So after reading predictions and listening the espn, it got me thinking about something.

They all say Ohio St. will beat kentucky because of senior guards, and their size inside.

North Carolina will beat Marquette because of their tempo, getting more possessions causing Marq. to foul more and letting the bigs take it inside.

Florida St. will win cause they are athletic and play solid D. Their size is superior over VCU's.

Kansas might beat Richmond, cause Richmond slows the ball, WAIT isn't that what Marquette does? Richmond's bigs can shoot from outside, WAIT so can the Morris Twins. Richmond is has seniors, WAIT so does Kansas. That match up zone makes you have to pass the ball, WAIT Brady and Tyrel are great passers.

KU has senior guards, and a solid point. They play good D and are very athletic, they can run the floor and get a lot of possessions, they also have a great FG% which is never brought up. Three true bigs down low with two guys that can play in or outside the paint.

But I guess since KU lost last year to a mid-major, and has a few first round exits, but WAIT they won the title only 3 years ago!!!!

Oh how easy it is to gorget the good things Kansas does, I guess it's cause they aren't on the East coast or something???

CrodieBroyle 3 years, 6 months ago

love the quote from tyshawn something like "we'll play them like we'd play duke or ohio st". Richmond is a definately a team that could hang with us if we dont knock 'em out early.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

Part 2(taking a page from Jaybates playbook)

"If its a close game at half gotta go with Richmond to win."

Uh have they not seen the the halftime scores of our first 2 games. 4 points, thats all the separated KU from both losing teams.

What did Kansas do? Did they get tight? Did they panic? No and No! they played their game and they D'd up and they won, not by a last second Matt Howard layin or a Kemba Walker jumper, they won as a team!!!

Does nobody get that? Kansas plays team ball. Then again maybe that's why people arent high on them cause they don't have "just one guy" to score all their points. Sure Richmond has 5 starters that can score in double digits, so does KU, plus 5 guys on the bench that can light it up too!!!

I am sick and tired of hearing how Richmond's has this and that, like KU is lucky to be where they are. How KU dosent have what it takes to win. Well they do have what it takes to win, and they have an All American caliber player in Marcus Morris and in Markief Morris. Plus Bill Self has been there and done that in the tournament, Chris Mooney has only watched the sweet sixteen on TV.

Richmond got lucky that Louisville got beat in the first round! there I said it.

Sorry went off, but (as Ghandi would say) "Holy Cow!", I am just sick and tired of hearing that KU is on upset alert and all the other favorites will roll. Well here's to Kentucky, Marquette and VCU all winning tonight right alongside our very own underdog team Kansas!

Better to be a Jayhawk today and forever than a Blue Devil any day!

tis4tim 3 years, 6 months ago

Here are a few of my thoughts on the game:

First, I'm down with Marcus talking a little by-product. I think the subtext of his comments are that he's he's putting the onus on his shoulders. By attracting some perhaps unwarranted attention to himself, the hope is that it will lessen the pressure on the others and allow them to perform as they know they can.

Second, in addition to solid shooting percentages and scoring efficiencies, Richmond had an important weapon in their arsenal: the element of surprise. In the first couple of rounds that worked wonders as opponents maybe didn't take them as seriously as they should have. In pulling a couple of upsets, the Spiders have stymied one of their key assets. Stealth is no longer an ally. We will be ready.

Third, the lights are brighter and the media scrutiny is more intense in the Sweet 16. Will the Spiders be able to handle the added attention?

Richmond is good, but their run ends tonight.

justinryman 3 years, 6 months ago

Cause there is nothing else to right about. They only have a 1 game history. there are no coaches at Richmond from Kansas, no players for KU that are from Virginia, uh yeah slow news day.

As for people thinking its trash talk, they really haven't been in a competitive game of basketball for awhile now, either have, but that is pretty mild in my opinion actually it's pretty soft.

If it works for Marcus to fire himself up a little, then so be it. I hardly doubt that is scared any of the Spiders, or even offended them.

It is what it is and it's just a leader of a team getting ready to play and one reporter happened to hear it and took it from there.

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

No issue with Marcus Morris whatsoever! I love his confidence in his abilities. Tonight it will be Marcus Morris and the rest of the Jayhawks on the court against Richmond. I will be watching and cheering as usual. I love the confidence of this group. They have basically had two bad halves the entire year. I think Kansas will be fine as long as we return fire when fired upon.

actorman 3 years, 6 months ago

"You took the elevator down one flight of stairs?"

Not my choice, believe me. Unfortunately, in my building taking the stairs to any floor other than 1 is not an option, as the doors to the other floors are locked.

Thanks to all who commented, and yes, I take full blame if KU loses.

Steve Brown 3 years, 6 months ago

Teddy Roosevelt said speak softly and carry a big stick.

Marcus says, speak beat down and tangle their webs. Beak em.

Richmond will collapse three on our two bigs and leave Taylor open at top of the key, if he hits his treys we will crush them.

Rock Chalk chant at the 1:59 mark. Let freedom ring.

72-59 Kansas.

Adam Evans 3 years, 6 months ago

Our Father, who art in Lawrence, Hallowed be thy Game. Thy Tourney come, thy Championship will be done, in Houston as it is in Allen Field House. Give us this day, our deserved victory & forgive us our turnovers, as we forgave Roy, who double-crossed against us. Lead us Not into Defeat, but Deliver us from the East Coast Bias. For Kansas is the Basketball Kingdom, & the Tradition, & the Glory, forever & ever. Amen