Thursday, March 24, 2011

Escorted Jayhawks arrive to San Antonio in style

Jayhawks fan Brogan Falls, 12, Leroy, Kan. lowers his head so Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor can autograph his cap upon the team's arrival at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio on Wednesday, March 23, 2011.

KU team arrives at San Antonio

The KU team arrived at their hotel in San Antonio, site of their 2008 NCAA Championship win. To the media Coach Bill Self said about this year's visit, "Oh there'll be memories. They just better be good ones."

— Police car sirens blared as Kansas University’s basketball team bus pulled in front of the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk Hotel at 5:59 p.m. Wednesday in sunny south-central Texas.

The Jayhawks arrived in style. City officials made sure the top-seeded team in the NCAA Tournament’s Southwest Regional was escorted safely from the airport to its team headquarters.

“This is one of my favorite cities,” Kansas coach Bill Self said after exiting the bus. He has special memories from 2008 when the Jayhawks defeated North Carolina and Memphis at the Alamodome to win the national title.

“It could definitely solidify that ranking in my mind with a good performance this weekend,” Self added.

The Jayhawks (34-2), who will hold an open practice from 2:10 to 3 p.m. today at the Alamodome, will meet No. 12 seed Richmond (29-7) at 6:27 p.m. Friday in the dome. The winner advances to Sunday’s Elite Eight game against either No. 10 seed Florida State or No. 11 VCU. That game would start at either 1:10 p.m. or 4 p.m.

“There will be memories one way or another,” Self said of KU’s encore trip to San Antonio. “They just need to be good memories. We need to play well. In order to that, we need to improve from last weekend in Tulsa, even though we played fine (in beating Boston and Illinois).

“There’s another step we can take and get better. I’m excited about it. Our players will be fired up as well,” Self added.

Self and the Jayhawks left the team hotel for dinner downtown shortly after checking in the hotel on Wednesday night.

“After that we’ll be in lockdown mode,” Self said. “I will not let the guys get out (amid distractions with fans mobbing San Antonio’s famed Riverwalk).

“The further you go, the more attention you get,” Self added. “Our guys have to understand that and pace themselves to be honest, because you can wear it out this time of year if you are not careful. Our guys will stay off their feet. We’ll make them available to you guys (media), other than that, you’ve got to relax.”

The Jayhawks are hoping for a four-night stay in a hotel for the second straight week.

“A little bit,” junior Marcus Morris said, asked if life on the road can be taxing at times. “I mean, just sleeping in those beds, my back kind of hurts now. I feel we have fun on these trips. I don’t feel pressure at all. We are cool, we just need to play how we are supposed to play and how we know how to play.”

Of spending so much time in a hotel this time of year, junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said: “It’s not a vacation. I am not at the hotel to go out. I am there to play basketball. Being around my teammates and chillin’ at the hotel, that’s what we do. We’re used to it. It’s not like it’s something new. We’ve been doing it a while now. As trapped as I feel sometimes, I understand why we do what we do.”

Healthy: Self said the Jayhawks enter today’s practice in good health.

“We’re as good as we’ve been,” Self said, citing no illnesses or new injuries.

Self on Missouri coach Mike Anderson leaving for Arkansas: “I like Mike. He’s been good for Mizzou, no question about that. He’s done a really good job,” Self said, indicating he hoped Anderson “does what’s best for he and his family.”

He said the Tigers would be able to “find a great quality candidate to replace him.”

Recruiting: Otto Porter, a 6-8 senior forward from Scott County Central High in Sikeston, Mo., tells Rivals.com he is planning on visiting KU and Georgetown in the coming weeks. He had been considered a likely Missouri signee prior to Anderson’s decision to leave MU. Porter is Rivals.com’s No. 97-rated player. KU is expected to land another recruit who was strongly considering MU. He’s No. 17-rated Ben McLemore, a 6-5 senior from St. Louis, who will choose between KU and MU at the NeXt All-American Classic on April 3 in suburban Chicago. McLemore has long been considered a heavy KU lean.

Comments

KSA_21_3503 8 years, 3 months ago

Much less eventful than a Dallas escort...

gchawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Not just disturbing, just plain disturbed.

100 8 years, 3 months ago

Escort or no escort.....

It's getting closer boys......

Stomp!!!!!!!!!

The!!!!!!!!

Spiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Bruning 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm kinda thinking that if the Morris twins stay DeAndre Daniels goes, and vice verca. I'm kinda thinking that is a win win situation, would rather the twins stay. I'm kinda thinking Ben McLemore should no longer "announce" since its obvious where he will be next fall. I'm kinda thinking that April 4th i will be in Lawrence on Mass st. sippin some sizzer jammin out to "tonight's gonna be a good night" by BEP

Done thinking RCJH

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 3 months ago

Daniels plays the 3, not the 4 or 5. He is very tall 3 ball shooter so there will be nothing to keep him from coming. We need a 3 shooter badly with Brady and Tyrel gone.

Dean Huggins 8 years, 3 months ago

What about Releford? I just posted a recruiting question on the Anderson article (not realizing that Daniels doesn't bang inside). I don't see the 3 as a must, but I do like the thought of a 6-7" wing and the matchup problems that would pose. I still salavate with the thought of more size in our frontcourt. Beak 'em!

ajhk 8 years, 3 months ago

If BenMac is coming here, not a given, then he should definitely announce. We need a few more announcements in the win column, that process hasn't been kind to us lately. Sipp'n Sizzer? Enjoy that purple mustache and sleeping it off under the park bench!

lee3022 8 years, 3 months ago

Mike Anderson has found life in the SEC West a little more palatable than the Big XII? I am sure he will be successful there.

David Leathers 8 years, 3 months ago

The thing about this is that Anderson, when deciding to go to Mizzou, figured that he would be able to at least go 50-50 with Self. And even though the Tiggers are willing to give him a raise, they won't tolerate losing to KU too much longer. Anyhow, I would rather coach in the SEC than to have to face Juggernaut KU twice every year. If we win 10 Reg. Season 'Ships in a row, I could see coaches like Rick Barnes packing up for the likes of the WAC and MWC..

Kye Clark 8 years, 3 months ago

I thought about that too, but it doesn't make much sense. If he was in fact leaning heavily toward KU, and it was his family wanting him to go to Misery just to be closer to home, then Anderson doesn't really factor into that logic. I'm sure Anderson will do his best to try and convince him, but he just lost his best piece of leverage.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

St Louis to Lawrence 267 miles St Louis to Fayetteville 366 miles. If his parents want to be able to come see him play, It's an 1 1/2 hrs closer. Besides have you been to a game in their new arena.. BORING. I know Pelphry had a top 10 class lined up but most of those players will bail on the hogs.. They haven't had a good team in quite a few years. When Arkansas was in the Southwest conference they won it all the time. Those days are long past.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

I kind of agree about McLemore and Arkansas as a possibility .. if he really was in Anderson's camp, perhaps there was a whisper not to sign the LOI with Missouri. If he goes to Arkansas, we know that was the case.

Hopefully that's b.s. and he comes to KU.

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

Mike Anderson needs another DeMarre Carroll, or its going to be just as tough of sledding at UArk, as it has been at Fizzou.

Despite what people seem to think, Anderson was not able to sustain the level of talent at MU needed to compete for crowns.

And it wasn't looking like the arrow was pointing sharply up for next season either.

Anderson at MU had a similar problem to Capel at OU.

They each landed one blue chip big man that goosed them to a big season, but then not another. And neither was successful at developing lesser bigs far enough to have solid, 3-4 big rotations.

My guess is Anderson saw the writing on the wall. At UArk, if he puts up about the same numbers he put up at MU, Razorback fans will be delighted, because UArk has no arch rival in basketball. At MU, Anderson's decent W&L statement was never enough to off set losing to arch rival Kansas. In a a year or two more, his accruing losses to KU, would have doomed him.

Self said he hopes Anderson does whatever his best for him and his family.

Going to UArk is clearly the way to get out of living in jeopardy, because you can't beat your arch rival.

Also, Anderson is probably as sick of The Antlers as anyone.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 3 months ago

Although I agree in principle to your comment. Capel could recruit. He recruited Tiny Gallon and Willie Warren (who chose OU over KU). He has kept some of the top talent from OU in Oklahoma (see Cade Davis). All that being said, he couldn't manage egos of some of these major recruits. Ultimately, I think Capel is a decent head coach, but Big XII basketball is usually one of the top 2 conferences in the nation year in and year out.

hawksfan08 8 years, 3 months ago

Tony Mitchell was a 5 star recruit who was supposed to be substantially better than Carroll ever thought about being. He never got to play due to eligibility issues. He was also potentially bringing in another 5 star in mclemore. So I disagree with your recruiting assessment. I hate Missouri but I actually liked Mike Anderson. The big 12 is weaker with him gone.

kranny 8 years, 3 months ago

I think he saw that he was going to make $650,000 more a year at a school that will bend over backwards for him and he's familiar with.

Tim Bingaman 8 years, 3 months ago

San Antonio is your town, Bill.

Next favorite town, Houston!!!!

yates33333 8 years, 3 months ago

I like the Antlers comment even if it is probably wrong.

Dean Huggins 8 years, 3 months ago

To confirm, it is not wrong. The Antlers are a bunch of female reproductive organs.

REHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Mike Anderson had to have felt the sting of ho-hum fan support week in and out. Unless Kansas or another highly ranked opponent came to town, The Paige was not a throbbing overflowing facility. He put up some better than decent stats in his five years, and helped revitalize the credibility of Mizzou hoops. Not an easy task after the years of Mophead Mayhem. I'd like to see the likes of Tad Boyle choose to remain in the league, maybe interview for one of our conference openings. Not likely, what with his Colorado and KU roots; but he is bound to be somewhat stranded as a far eastern representative of the Pac 10.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 3 months ago

I sure hope that Mizzou would never offer a job to a KU grad. And I definitely hope that Tad would never, ever coach at Mizzou. That said, he might be able to build something at OU. I don't however think that his style would really fit the image of OU basketball.

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

I am thinking Charlie Sheen is in the news too much, as when I first saw the headline, I was like, "Escorts!!?? What has Tyshawn done this time?"

Then I took a second look at it and relaxed.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 3 months ago

Supposedly Arkansas has a top 10 recruiting class coming in, so he should be good for a while.

Kye Clark 8 years, 3 months ago

Assuming he can hang on to all those recruits. Some could de-commit

jhkprd 8 years, 3 months ago

Rick Pitino on ESPN just picked Richmond to beat KU. Disrespect equals beat-down.

Dean Huggins 8 years, 3 months ago

Shouldn't Pitino be preparing for his own game? Oh wait, no, they got BOUNCED their first round. Now it's on to studio analysis & men's restrooms with females not named Pitino. Stay classy.

masonhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Rick "your table is ready" Pitino=fail!

Debbie Mangen 8 years, 3 months ago

Just consider the source. He also said Notre Dame would not lose. I could not believe they had him on the panel at ESPN.

Seth Peattie 8 years, 3 months ago

Richmond & The Antlers can ... SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

Ralster: Nice point above on coach Self grabbing guys late .. we desperately need a solid post guy if the twins go.

If the twins don't go, we could get by with no more recruits even if Selby bolts.

TT, EJ, Releford, Selby (or if Selby goes, then Tharpe or Woolridge), TRob, Withey, Twins

Nightmare scenario: Selby, the twins, and TRob go .. yikes.

This came up in the discussions when KU lost last season --

If you could be guaranteed that KU wins the national title this season, but will finish 18-12, finish 6th in the Big 12, and miss the tournament in 2012, would you take it?

No doubt in my mind that I would.

Just a Final Four under the same assumptions? No.

The title is there for the taking.

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

"Considering Schools with Players and Recruits Self Might Attract Because of Coaching Changes"

OU UTenn UArk GTech NC State TTech

I don't see Self raiding Pelphrey's class at UArk, because new HC Anderson is an Okie Baller starting out and that would be bad form within the Okie Baller Mafia.

Pat Knight might have had one or two recruits of moderate interest, and Knight seemed to like Self, but with Billy entering the TTech picture, Self is not likely to raid those guys.

Any of the other schools are possibilities, but Capel is likely to route his quality recruits to Duke and his current players seemed a cut below what Self will look for.

UTenn and Pearl probably have some players and recruits of interest, but character seems an issue there.

Ditto GTech.

I don't know spit about what NC State and Sidney might have to offer.

All in all, not that much to get jazzed about on the surface, anyway.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

Open letter to Mike Anderson:

Dear Coach Anderson: Sad to see you leaving Missouri. As a KU fan, I very much appreciated your 1-9 record vs. KU and your lack recruiting at the top levels. Above all, you maintained MU's tradition of failing to reach the Final Four .. keeping this century consistent with MU's last century is important when we talk about tradition. You have also maintained other Missouri traditions such as the MU job simply being a stepping stone to better things, the Paige Aren .. er, Mizzou arena being half empty, raising MU fans' expectations each year only to leave them empty and without achievement, and above, making sure MU is not really a basketball school.

Oh, I know, MU fans still "think" they are great; still "think" they are to be whispered in the same breath with KU; and still "think" that the have a respectable program. While I know that much of that is pure delusion, you have done a nice job in perpetuating the myth. Much like the time they "thought" the Big 10 was actually interested. MU has been played before. Ignorance is bliss.

Perhaps your greatest achievement at MU was taking a 40 minutes of hell approach to the game, and turning it into 40 minutes of "aw heck", as coach Roy referenced after thumping Arkansas back in the day. And by failing to recruit athletes that were fits to the system. And by failing to recruit athletes to match up with your main opposition in the Big 12.

Your 8-8 conference record this season was the perfect statement for your former university .. mediocrity. One "elite 8" in five years puts you on par with coach Quinn. Admittedly, you didn't take a preseason top 3 team and turn them into an NIT bust like coach Quinn, but then again, you never had a top 3, or top 5, or top 10 team.

It does appear that this Arkansas thing has been brewing for a few months now. Missouri folks might be a bit shocked by this deceit .. they took your b.s. hook, line, and sinker over the past week about "being at Ma-zoo-rah." But of course, they didn't pay attention to the fact that you have precisely zero recruits signed for 2011-12. Could it be that you were kind enough not to deceive the recruits, but did not afford your employer the same courtesy? Curious, at the least.

You have provided us the humor in knowing MU stood ready to pay you near what coach Self makes just to maintain mediocrity. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Sometimes, desperation can be pathetic.

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

Well that can end all comments on this thread. Well done High.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

(cont) Perhaps you are leaving, ultimately, because you didn't know what you were getting into. A fan base that cannot properly place their program in the national pecking order, that cannot fill its own arena, and that travels well .. once a year .. to St. Louis. And of course, you were probably not informed about the Anters. Like herpes, it's a deal breaker.

As a KU fan, I do wish you the best of luck. Pig Sooey, baby. In the SEC west where its current division winner didn't even make the tournament. But then again, you will see Trevor Releford at 'Bama, another one that got a way. Here's hoping you will retire at Arkansas ... just as you promised at MU. Stepping stones eventually get used to the bottom of one's shoe .. a feeling that is borne in tradition and history .. and, of course, it is what's on the bottom of the shoe that causes the situation to be a bit more distasteful. But hey, if anyone can make chicken soup out of chicken #!@% (or pig sooey #!@%), it's MU .. it's what they are good at.

Again, Coach Anderson, I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

HEM

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

If I had only known there was going to be more.....Oh well, liked the ending as well as all the above HEM.

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

A noble gesture on your part, HEM. :-)

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

I know this is a repeat...but it really bugs me:

Has anyone else gone to the CBS Sports Men's bb site? They have a poll where you pick your 'most likely' championship match-up and not once was Kansas an option. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball

Of course Duke/UNC is at the top of the list.

justinryman 8 years, 3 months ago

Its only for a final 4 matchup, there are no teams from the SW or SE regions.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Justin..for making me feel a little Dumb : )

bbhawk234 8 years, 3 months ago

The house spiders in my house are quickly becoming extinct.

KansasComet 8 years, 3 months ago

Let's go Jayhawks! Rick Pitino picking Kansas to lose makes as much sense as Rick Pitino coaching at BYU!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure Pitino took Louisville to win in their first game..

Steve Kubler 8 years, 3 months ago

Off topic, but YES Coach constants and the sukies went down in flames! Now if Baylor can continue crushing Wisconsin. Life is good!