Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bill Self recalls KU’s loss to Richmond in 2004

Those pundits penciling in Kansas University’s basketball team as an automatic winner against unheralded Richmond on Friday in San Antonio may be forgetting one thing.

Richmond of the Atlantic 10 Conference actually defeated KU, 69-68, on Jan. 22, 2004, in Allen Fieldhouse.

“They weren’t nervous playing us in Allen Fieldhouse ... they won’t be worried playing us in San Antonio,” KU coach Bill Self said before practice on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse, where his eight KU teams have compiled a 129-7 record.

The only other nonconference losses in Allen in the Self era have been to Oral Roberts and Nevada.

“It was Jerry Wainwright’s team. I remember that well because he’s reminded me of that several times that he was actually the one in charge when they did that,” Self said of Wainwright, current Spiders’ coach Chris Mooney’s predecessor at the Richmond, Va., school.

Former KU guard Keith Langford played on that KU team with the likes of Wayne Simien, Aaron Miles, J.R. Giddens and David Padgett.

“KU is playing Richmond? Richmond, I will have my revenge... vicariously of course ... Let’s get it,” Langford, a pro player in Russia, wrote on Twitter this week.

KU junior Tyshawn Taylor listened intently Tuesday as a reporter informed him of the home loss to Richmond, which occurred in the not-so-distant-past.

“That is interesting. I did not know that,” Taylor said. “That is something good to know. It’s something we probably could feed off of now. I think I am going to tell the guys that now.

“It’s a different situation. There’s a lot more to play for right now. We don’t want to lose at all,” Taylor added.

Wesley can’t go: KU sophomore red-shirt Justin Wesley did not make the trip to Tulsa for KU’s wins over Boston University and Illinois last week and cannot travel to San Antonio with his teammates today in advance of Friday’s game against Richmond.

“Transfers cannot travel (in accordance with NCAA rules),” Self explained on Tuesday. Wesley, who is Langford’s brother, transferred to KU from Lamar. He has practiced this season, but not played in games, in accordance with transfer rules.

Jayla still in D.C.: TNT/TBS announcer Craig Sager was incorrect during last Sunday’s broadcast when he said Thomas Robinson’s sister, Jayla, had moved to Lawrence. Sager said she was living with Angel Morris, mother of the Morris twins.

Jayla is living with her father in her hometown of Washington, D.C.

KU officials informed Sager and network officials of the mistake, well in advance of Friday’s KU-Richmond game. Tip is 6:27 p.m. in the Alamodome with a live telecast on TBS. If KU wins, the Jayhawks would play either Florida State or VCU at either 1:10 p.m. or 4 p.m. Sunday.

Happy memories: San Antonio, of course, is where the Jayhawks beat North Carolina and Memphis in the 2008 Final Four.

“We’ve already got those memories,” Self said. “It would be nice to play well this weekend and move on to Houston (Final Four). If we were able to do that, San Antonio has officially become my second favorite place behind Lawrence.”

Itinerary: The Jayhawks are scheduled to leave Allen Fieldhouse for Topeka’s Forbes Field at 2 p.m. today. Flight time at Forbes is set for 3:30 p.m. KU is staying at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk in San Antonio. Times of today’s departure, of course, could change, depending on length of KU’s practice. The Jayhawks will practice from 2:10 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at the Alamodome. The practice is open to the public. Richmond will hold an open practice from noon to 12:50 p.m.

Job openings: Former KU assistant and St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts is expected to surface as a candidate for the opening at Fairfield, ESPN reported Tuesday.

Comments

100 8 years, 5 months ago

Lock!!!!!

Up!!!!!!!

The!!!!!!

Spiders!!!!!!!!!

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

Played just like a Kstater or fizzoukie. "hey, who cares that we lost to them years ago, we've lost to nearly every team at least once in that time frame!"

Not at KU.

We lost a non-con game?! What the he!? Who?! Where?! When?!

Let's bury these mother-less, father-less spiders!

At KU we cherish our past. We build on that past.

We fight to correct the wrong of the past. At KU, this is not irrelevant.

They"ll be coming for you, you'd better be coming for them. Let's go Hawks!

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

+1 Couldn't have said it better, ajhk.

"Who cares?" That is exactly what you would expect from someone who doesn't know anything about winning and the PRIDE that follows!!! He/she is obviously used to losing, which embeds into the conscious and soon makes you a worthless piece of ... Well, you know what I meant to say.

KCjayhawk24 8 years, 5 months ago

Now this is the dumbest post I have read in a long time. KSA did not say they did not care about winning. They said who cares about a game that happened 7 years ago and involved not one player from either of the current teams. This is the 2011 NCAA tournament we are talking about, why not care about THIS game against Richmond.

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

Kcjayhawk24- your perspective needs some tending to. You drown in a pool of ignorance. I will throw you a line and allow you raise your head high enough to see the horizon.
This IS a tourney game. Everything is worth squeezing motivation from. To leave a possible source untapped would be what?...the tough way to do it? nah- more stupid than not. Also, knowledge of history does not lead to entitlement. It reveals lessons, teaches, motivates and most of all keeps us from being horribly ignorant. For example: KSA's history shows us that he/she is a troll. Go on... look for yourself, it doesn't take much digging. Now given that knowledge, clean your slate and review. You might learn something... You might grow up into a reasonable person someday?

KCjayhawk24 8 years, 5 months ago

I have only been a Jayhawk for a couple years now and I know nothing about any of the posters on this site. However, I do know basketball and have been around the game from the day I was born. It is great that Tyshawn now knows that it has happened before and if he loses focus it could happen again, but I think that is about as much as you can take from this. I think these guys learned that lesson from their own experience against N. Iowa much more than they can from a game that took place when they were 13 years old and had never heard about. I am not saying knowledge of history leads to entitlement. When you look at a game from years back and say "not at ku" you are saying that we should win based on the name on our jersey. That is entitlement. No matter how much history there is at KU it will never win a game for us. It is all about the players wearing that jersey and how they represent themselves and the program. If they gain any motivation from that game in '04, great. But these guys need to be focused on proving themselves as winners rather than making up for what Wayne Simien and JR Giddens failed to do in non-con game in 2004. Maybe you should think about the fact that I am the same age as the current hawks and have about the same knowledge of the history. It might mean more to you because you can remember that game. It is just a fan thing.

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

Let's go back only one game ago. Not too far? So did the team screw up last game by using the Coach Self dis at Illinois as the main motivation? Remember if you can, that happened BEFORE the Richmond game in '04 and needless to say, none of the players were around then either. Tyshawn didn't know about that one either until he was told about it. They made that into much more than just a fan thing, they took ownership and sought payback. Anyway, feel free to argue whether you have a point or not but why call a fellow supporting hawk dumb when you are the one with less information?

Talk about focus...screw this thread. Squish the Spiders! Lock'em up Hawks!

KCjayhawk24 8 years, 4 months ago

“Coach mentioned it, but that’s six years ago. That’s 2004. What year is it? 2011, right?” Marcus Morris said with a smile. “We’re not going to go back to the past. We’re going to the future. Hopefully we can be 1-1 now.” I'm not calling you dumb man, this is all I'm trying to say, maybe coming from the team's leader you can understand the point I have.

farawayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I care! They care! WE care! Nobody does that in AFH and gets away with it, no matter how much time has passed. Get Them!

KCjayhawk24 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry, I will say I am some what of a new jhawk (I'm a junior at ku) but I think you are completely wrong on this one. Yes we have a great history. Yes we have tradition. But playing with a sense of entitlement is what causes upsets like Richmond or N. Iowa beating us. The game in '04 should not matter. This is a NCAA tournament game, win or go home. If you need anymore incentive than that, well your head is not in the right place.

oldrocker 8 years, 5 months ago

"Revenge is a dish best served cold”...Kill the Spiders!!

Sam Brockert 8 years, 5 months ago

They want to remind the players that no matter how Small the opponent, they can still lose...

Lash 8 years, 5 months ago

No game is irrelevant. Why do TV announcers bring up KU's early exits if it's not relevant to some.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 5 months ago

This from the guy who says fire Bill Self if we don't make the final 4.
He even makes me miss soobawls.

mispay4ku 8 years, 4 months ago

Idiot alert. To say that Bill Self should be fired if we don't make it to the Final Four is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That talent you talk about has to perform well. I wouldn't trade our coach for anyone; we are fortunate to him!

finestack 8 years, 5 months ago

F.O.E.K.U. Richmond! No team upsets us twice

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe we could get Norm Roberts back as an assistant and recruiting coordinator!

Joel Hood 8 years, 5 months ago

Who do you think will be leaving the program to make room? Danny, Kurtis, or Joe? NCAA has strict limitations on staff, titles, and roles.

Tom Flood 8 years, 5 months ago

They had a copy of the 2004 headline in the Richmond paper yesterday. It said "KO at KU" and talks about fond memories UR has at KU from 2004. It is time for new memories! Rock Chalk to Houston!

Chicago_JHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I recall a headline here at KUsports that read "Holy Crap, Spiderman".

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

Apparently, it matters elsewhere also.

Smash the spiders.

Jeremy Bolinger 8 years, 5 months ago

I must be a loser. I remember just about every loss we've had at KU in the past 10 years. I began to wonder how tyshawn didn't know.......... Then it dawned on me. I need a life.

ajhk 8 years, 5 months ago

That's pretty funny but Tyshawn is a young athlete... I have this feeling that I might remember more than Tyshawn on many fronts- It doesn't make me feel bad though, I'd feel worse if it wasn't the case. More to the point- if it is a question you are asking, the answer is most likely yes.

REHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

O, this matchup is quite relevant! A golden opportunity to impact history.

Funhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Aaron Miles, Keith Langford, and Wayne Simien were three of my all-time favorite Jayhawks. 2004 was a transition period between Roy's high flying offense and Bill's slow-down-to-a-crawl offense. So glad Bill eventually decided to let his Hawks out of the cage and let them fly.

Lash 8 years, 5 months ago

Self coaches with the talent he has.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 5 months ago

Exactly. And pretty well documented in Bill Self's book "At Home in the Phog". That group was having a difficult time accepting Self's emphasis on DEFENSE, although Simien bought in quickly. I specifically remember the part where Langford asked Self about his playing ability at Oklahoma State.

WilburNether 8 years, 5 months ago

So Craig Sager "reported" something that is false. What a surprise.

KUFan90 8 years, 5 months ago

Pretty irresponsible TNT/TBS and/or Sager. That's a story you should probably verify before just spouting it out there. A sensitive topic.

Lash 8 years, 5 months ago

She does seem to be a very special person regardless.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 5 months ago

Ya, Sager is a total tool. Does he get dressed in the dark? His suits are AWFUL!

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 5 months ago

Michael Auchard 8 years, 5 months ago

Man, I was at this 2004 game. It was a very tough loss. Thanks for the memories, ugh.

Dirk Andrews 8 years, 5 months ago

Craig Sager not only wears the most horrific looking suits, but he's worthless as a court-side reporter too. He tries to be cute and act like he's getting the scoop but all he comes up with is a pile....

NomadHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

No. Just No. But if you think Sager is "pulling it off," I'm sure we'd all have a pretty good laugh at your closet!

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

Is Fairfield really the best job Norm Roberts could expect to get right now? I know he didn't have much success at St John's, but he is one heck of a recruiter.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

I remember the Richmond loss...a lot of people were starting to talk whether or not Bill Self was the right choice.

8 Years later, there are some that can't believe all of what he has done, let alone what he will do at KU.

When you really evaluate Bill Self's Tenure at KU, it is clear that he will be come one of the greatest Coaches ever to be at KU, which is simply amazing.

Can we name the floor after him?

Craig Colgin 8 years, 5 months ago

I think the court already has a name, and that name should never be replaced!

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 5 months ago

"Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it." KSA_21_3503, go away. You've repeatedly shown you are clueless..