Back to Big 12 Conference coverage

Big 12 Conference

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Report: Mike Anderson staying at MU

Missouri coach Mike Anderson, left, and players huddle up in the second half against Kansas on Monday, February 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Missouri basketball coach Mike Anderson will remain Tigers coach, ESPN.com reported on Monday night.

ESPN’s sources confirmed a St. Louis Post-Dispatch report that the school was on the verge of finalizing a new deal with Anderson that will add two years to his current contract.

Also, Anderson will receive a bump in salary to nearly $2 million, up from his current pay grade of roughly $1.5 million, the sources told ESPN’s Andy Katz.

Anderson was rumored to be a candidate for the opening at Arkansas, where he was an assistant for 17 years. Arkansas fired coach John Pelphrey on March 13.

Anderson received a new seven-year deal last April after he interviewed for the Oregon coaching job.

Comments

chaggs 8 years, 5 months ago

Extension and raise? Wow. I would love to be rewarded mor mediocrity like that!

kcglowboy 8 years, 5 months ago

I love the notion that a $500,000 raise could be considered a "bump." And no disrespect to Anderson, whom I like and hope succeeds (short of beating KU), but this scenario is just the latest proof of the absurdity that is big-time college athletics: Anderson has enjoyed only moderate success so far, and doesn't show any signs yet of helping Mizzou break into the upper echelon of college hoops. Yet MU is so desperate to keep him that they're about to "bump" him from $1.5 million to $2 million a year. That's just crazy. I'm sure we'd all love to get a 25% raise for helping our employers basically maintain the status quo.

kcglowboy 8 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I'm embarrassed. I'm actually good at math and stats ... usually. Is there an "erase" function on this board?

Spencer Goff 8 years, 5 months ago

Actually, it's a 33% raise, even worse. But yeah, other than cleaning out what Quin Snyder left, I'm not sure what he has done to justify the raise. And he does it to them every offseason. Next offseason, after going 9-7 in conference play, I'm sure he'll be up to 2.5 million. And to quote you, "That's just crazy."

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 5 months ago

So quick to make judgments around here. I know we as Kansas fans are suppose to dislike Missouri, but Mike Anderson is a great coach. Period. They struggled on the road this year, granted, but they were also Top 25 ranked all season long and ate teams alive at home. Good teams win home games and Missouri did that. Anderson has had 3 20 win seasons of his 5 at Missouri and has made the Elite 8. He did not inherit a good program, and it's not like Missouri has the history of it's border rival... but he's making them into an impressive squad.

Mike's first year: 18-12 Second - 16-16 Third - 31-7 Fourth - 23-11 Fifth 23-11

That too me is quite deserving of what he's getting paid. He's the second best coach in the Big XII. I don't think there's any question about that fact. Mark Turgeon and Scott Drew are right there with him, but clearly Anderson is No. 2. He should be paid like No. 2 in the league.

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

"Mike Anderson is a great coach"

Really? Great? Easy with the hyperbole. I like him as much as I can like a Misery coach, but honestly to be considered great you should have accomplished something great. He hasn't. No league crowns. No Final Fours. Period.

utahjayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree, "great" is thrown around so casually today. Mike Anderson is a good, but in no way, a great coach, based on his performance. Period.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 5 months ago

I saw your blanket statement post on ESPN earlier today about how all us Jayhawk fans think this is a great decision for Mizzou. Actually, I don't think most Jayhawk fans agree with that at all.

I disagree with your assessment completely. And for that matter, nothing in my post says jack sh!t about not liking him or thinking he is a bad coach. I actually DO like him, and actually DO think he is a good coach. What I said is this, "There is nothing that has occurred right now at Mizzou to warrant another raise."

He earned his last raise. He really did. That program was terrible, and he came in and cleared out a lot of garbage.

But nothing has occurred after that to warrant him holding them for ransom every offseason.

And this garbage about having a great pre-conference season astounds me. They played two solid teams in their non-conference, Georgetown (overtime loss) and Illinois at home (won).

I don't think Anderson himself is a bad person or coach, but if you don't think a half million increase in pay is going to widen that target on his back we are on two very different wavelengths.

He should have a fantastic year next year with his team primarily intact; and after this raise, if he doesn't, then it is welcome to the hot seat Coach.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

And "maintaining the status quo" is only far sighted. They were bad before he got there, and he has dealt effectively with some potentially embarrassing situations. It has been a while since they have made the Fullmer list.

JayhawkRock 8 years, 5 months ago

Good for Missouri and good for KU...Anderson has really done nothing and his style of play has shown that it cannot succeed in this conference. KU will continue to be Mizzou's daddy.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

your daddy! and they will smack you when they want to!!!

murph 8 years, 5 months ago

Just amazing. They'll "bump" him - when he's accomplished very little (I will give him credit for recruiting decent people). At the same time, they're cutting degrees, raising tuition, and probably freezing professors' salaries. Great way to run a university. Not.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

Another tired old argument regarding athletics. Even without selling out Paige for more than just a few games a year, mizzoo bb isn't likely to take any money from the general fund, so Mike's salary is completely unrelated to that of a professor. I'm guessing you also missed the comment from the beginning of the Morehead State - Richmond game. Morehead State received 3,000 applications the day after their first round upset! Obviously, that is not the norm, but you have to be naive or blind to miss the tremendous positive influence that athletics has on any school. That is not to say that I necessarily agree with the "bump", but to relate it with the other issues like one causes the other is way way of base.

okjhok 8 years, 5 months ago

Athletic departments make their own money...and then some. They are fully capable of paying these salaries without taking anything away from the student experience, and, if fact, usually add to it. You should know this if you follow KU at all. It's not as if they're paying him with grant money or from the endowment.

Joel Hood 8 years, 5 months ago

I would never speak for MU, but not every athletic dept in the country runs as independently as KUAI. In many places, athletics is a drain on other resources. At KU, I know the AD salary does come in small part from state funding to ensure he (or she) is accountable to the KS BOR and other wise sages working in Topeka 3 months per year.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

I believe this is true of Self & Gill as well. If I remember correctly, they get $157k or something like that for coaching. The same as all the other coaches. It is the rest of the compensation package (radio, TV, incentives, camps, ...) that turns it into $2.5M or whatever.

bradh 8 years, 5 months ago

Funny how he sticks them up year after year and they seem to enjoy it. The Mizzou fans at work are getting real tired of it and most kind of wanted him to take the job so Mizzou could move on and bring in a coach they think will compete.

I think Anderson better be careful, his next flirtation may be his last.

Carter Patterson 8 years, 5 months ago

With a 1-9 record against KU, I think its awesome that they are going to keep him. I was worried that he would have left a week ago allowing MethU to focus on Gillespie and now Pearl.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 5 months ago

yes, it is good overall for us....because there is no way in the world with Anderson's style and recruiting circles...that he can year in and year out beat us, and outdo us for championships.

that being said, it's an awful decision for Missouri. there's no way in the world, in today's college basketball, that you reward a guy for regressing. Elite eight, then no tourney and a 1st round loss...and you have sub .500 record in the league. Plus, nobody goes to their games. When the season first starts next year, for those who can, take a look at all the empty seats in Mizzou arena, for a November matchup with Coppin St (or whoever.)

win for KU....bad for MU. bottom line: the curators today could help KU basketball greatly...or maybe, just maybe, they have something more in mind.

Fruity22 8 years, 5 months ago

They were in the tournament last year. Second round loss to West Virginia.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 5 months ago

i saw that in the paper this a.m. after i posted. i stand corrected. i guess it was too fogettbable...tee he.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

I consider it to be more of a win-win.

KU wins if MU has Anderson.

KU wins if MU ditches Anderson.

Bottom line: KU's gonna win, and I couldn't care less about Missoura

justinryman 8 years, 5 months ago

The extension and raise for Anderson are just more signs that the Heads at Mizzu are delusional. Sure he won a lot of home game this year, but still couldn't win the one that would have meant the most. HA. Couldn't win on the road all season, OK one game, big whoop. Talent, talent and underachieving, I thought Anderson learned to coach from Nolan Richardson, not Rick Barnes.

But here is the thing, the Mizzery football team is having rings made for for their Big 12 North Division shared title. Yeah you read that right, they are having Championship rings made for tying nebraska for winning the north. Not the Big12 itself, but for tying and not representing the north.

WOW MU, no wonder you don't get any national respect in anything!!!

Its good to be a Jayhawk!

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

That is one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard. It ranks right up there with KSUck making DVDs for a regular season win against KU.

TraditionRich 8 years, 5 months ago

recipe for success... go .500 in conference, lose 10 games, get crushed in your conference tourney quarter finals, and lose in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

tis4tim 8 years, 5 months ago

What price do you put on stability for your program?

Half a million to prevent possible player defections, recruits from changing their plans and going elsewhere, and the specter of going through the process of a new coach getting "his" players in place doesn't seem like too much to pay. Think of the lost attendance, lost ticket revenues and everything else that goes along with the rebuilding process when it doesn't go smoothly and the losses mount. That could add up to a few hundred thousand in no time. I know it's a lot to pay for what appears to be mediocrity, but MU could stand to lose more than that if they don't keep Anderson.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

I imagine a tough pill for Mizzou to swallow, but look at Arkansas since the departure of Nolan Richardson, Georgia Tech and Bobby Cremmins. Everybody wants a Bill Self. Too bad Mizzou. You picked Quin.....

Eric J. Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Damn, I really want him to leave. I like him, I like his style of basketball, and I really want to root for him. I just can't because he happens to coach at Mizzou. I was hoping he'd get hired somewhere else so I could cheer him on, and then Mizzou could hire some jerk so I could hate more completely. Ah well.

jaycard 8 years, 5 months ago

This news is as good for a Jayhawk fan as Sarah Palin winning the Gop nomination for a Democrat.

nocaljayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

MU under Anderson will continue to employ a gimmick system ("fastest 40 minutes of basketball" my arse) that works at home against undersized, poorly coached opponents. Get them out of their home gym and they're quickly exposed. Their postseason showings are all the proof one needs.

Good analogy, jaycard!

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

With so many young potential coaching stars out there, it's hard to believe they thought this was a worthwhile contract "bump".

I would be making a hard play for Josh Pastner. Somebody is gonna get him away from Memphis and pay him 2 million/year. He only makes 1.1 right now. Hell I'd pay him that much just to recruit.

And I refuse to believe that Butler will be able to hold on to Brad Stevens much longer. Somebody is gonna pay this guy the max, and he's going to eventually take it. As a KU fan, I'm glad they didn't try. I don't want to think about the type of team he would put on the court against us twice a year.

How about Bobby Knight? Haha. I'm not even kidding. He's not young, but they would be on SportCenter every night, they would be a better team, and my personal favorite, KU owns Knight.

I don't know, it just seems like a lazy move.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 5 months ago

He's been a head coach 9 years at 2 schools. Since becoming a head coach:

1 Elite Eight 2 Sweet sixteens 4 Round of 32s 6 NCAA Tourney Apperances

Face it guys, the guy is good. He's winning home games at Missouri and he's had 7 20 win seasons in his 9 year career. He's a good coach. Kansas fans are just quick to judge being rivals.

Kye Clark 8 years, 5 months ago

At least in this post you have downgraded him from great to good.

utahjayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Not to pile on, but yes, in this analysis, '81, I agree with you. I really like Mike Anderson -- I think he's a first a high-quality guy. Secondly, I think our Hawks can pretty much handle any team he throws out there for years to come. I'm ecstatic he's staying!

KULee 8 years, 5 months ago

He's been a head coach 9 years at 2 schools. Since becoming a head coach:

1 Elite Eight 2 Sweet sixteens 4 Round of 32s 6 NCAA Tourney Apperances

Is he 2 mil a year good.......

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 5 months ago

There has been a holdup on this contract extension. Numerous Arkansas media outlets are saying he will in fact go there. The MU board of curators did NOT vote to extend his contract. They took no action. This is not good news for MU.

Paying him 2 mil a year will put him in the top TEN coaches in the country. He is in no WAY worth that. MU is just running scared they won't be able to replace him with somebodyh as decent which is not true at all. Of course the way they have messed this deal up and live on every word and action of Anderson what coach would find that place decent?