Back to Big 12 Conference coverage

Big 12 Conference

Monday, March 21, 2011

Texas Tech hires Billy Gillispie as men’s basketball coach

— Texas Tech hired Billy Gillispie as the new men’s basketball coach, two seasons after he was fired at Kentucky.

Gillispie will be introduced Wednesday at a news conference, school athletics spokesman Blayne Beal said Sunday. Gillispie replaces Pat Knight, who was fired this month.

In 2009, Kentucky fired Gillispie after the Wildcats went 40-27 in his two seasons and missed the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 17 years.

He agreed to a five-year contract, according to a statement released by the school.

“I can’t wait to get started,” Gillispie said in the statement. “Texas Tech is a great school that is located in a great community and is part of one of the toughest conferences in the country.”

Comments

actorman 8 years, 5 months ago

Seems like a perfect fit for TT. Good luck to BG.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

So they fire the football coach based on ethics then hire a womanizing (allegedly) drunk driving basketball coach?

gchawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Our Larry Brown was a pretty notorious womanizer so we can't be too quick to point fingers. I think this might be a good move for TT and I wish him success against everyone, except us.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

man, do i have some dirt on larry.

and yes bg will do good in tt. i'd rather him be in lubbock compared to norman or columbia

gchawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I've heard some pretty good stories as well, but I can't substantiate any of them.

David Robinett 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Billy Clyde misheard them when they offered him some "TT"..

Jim Stauffer 8 years, 5 months ago

This is a risky hire for a young AD. (Hocutt) If I am in his shoes I only make this hire if Hance is 100% on board. Billy can coach if he stays sober and uses some common sense in handling his team.

The things he did at UK will get him fired fast at Lubbock. If they think their former FB coach was a nut, wait until Billy climbs out on the limb.

Robert Brock 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't think the hire is risky at all. I expect BCG to be a huge success in Lubbock.

gchawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Breaking news: Bruce Peart just fired. It will be interesting to see where he lands, too bad Kentucky is already spoken for.

Luke Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Is this where all the perfect anal retentives go to pronounce judgement on the imperfect? I thought this was where we go to read and comment on sports, specifically the the god of our religion, Jayhawk Basketball. I've never commented here, but have been reading the articles and comments since HCBS arrived.

I read through all the idiot posts who thought he was worthless after the Killer B's. I won't comment further on those except to say, who would you rather have than HCBS?

Would you rather be Duke missing the tournament in 1995? UNC missing in 02-03? Kentucky missing in 09?

Some of you whine and complain because you don't know what goes on at other schools. The heartbreaks, the droughts, the envy when they see a Kansas uniform.

Enjoy the rides that they take us on. Ease up on those trying to start over. And for some of you, get over Larry Brown. He is a proud part of our lineage. . . even though he's not perfect like you.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 5 months ago

BG will have Tech competing and it will not be easy playing them like it has in the past. It will be interesting, that's for sure.