Monday, March 21, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Videos

KU defeats Illinois

video thumbnail

Kansas took down Illinois on Sunday, March 20, 2011 in Tulsa, Okla. to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 73-59 victory over Illinois on March 20, 2011.

Download podcast

Big winner

Tyrel Reed has passed Sherron Collins as winningest four-year player in Kansas University history.

Reed has been part of 131 victories against 16 losses. Collins went 130-19 from 2007 to 2010.

“Being a Kansas kid ... words can’t describe how proud I am. Being the winningest player in Kansas history is a big honor,” Reed, a senior from Burlington, said after scoring six points off 1-of-7 shooting (1-for-5 from three) in Sunday’s 73-59 Round of 32 victory over Illinois.

KU coach Bill Self informed the team of the milestone in a happy locker room after the game.

“He said, ‘It’s a cool thing Tyrel had done,’’’ Reed said.

The NCAA record for most wins in a four year span is 133 by Duke’s Shane Battier from 1998-2001.

Self respect

Self and Illinois coach Bruce Weber passed each other quickly in the handshake line, with Weber telling Self good luck the rest of the way.

Self seemed surprised when asked about the handshake in his postgame media session.

“We are not close by any means, but that didn’t have anything to do with anything,” Self said, adding that he respects Weber as a coach and the job he’s done at Illinois.

Not a shot!

Marcus Morris banged a pass off the backboard to his brother, Markieff, who couldn’t complete a highlight-reel dunk.

“I’m glad you guys noticed that wasn’t a shot. I would never take a bad shot like that,” Marcus said. “We kind of did it in practice when coach wasn’t looking, so we said we’d do it in the game because they both bit on our fade screen perfectly. It just slipped off Kieff’s hand when he missed it.

“But I had to take the blame for it. I shoulda never done it, but I’ll do it again,” he added, laughing.

Self’s take: “That was one of those deals they’ve laid around talking and figured out that would be a highlight play. Marcus said it was a good pass, and Kieff just missed it. I thought it was a crap pass, and nobody could have caught it. We’ll talk about that when moving forward. But those guys are pretty creative. They are great passers. But that wasn’t the time or place (with KU up 28-20 in first half) to try that one, I didn’t think.”

Big numbers

KU will be heavily favored to advance to the Final Four. The top-seeded Jayhawks will meet No. 12 Richmond at 6:27 p.m. Friday in San Antonio, then if victorious meet either No. 10-seed Florida State or No. 11 VCU on Sunday.

“Ten, 11 and 12 are left, but it’s not seeds, it’s matchups,” Self said.

“All the teams left in this tournament are good teams,” Brady Morningstar noted.

San Antonio is where KU won the 2008 national title.

“We’ll try to make new memories,” Self said.

Hinson loves Tulsa

Kansas University director of basketball operations Barry Hinson had a great time rekindling some old friendships over the weekend in Tulsa.

Hinson worked four years as an assistant coach and two as head coach at Oral Roberts (1993-99) after working six years as head coach at Tulsa Bishop Kelley High School.

“Somebody asked me today, did I have family that lives here. I said, ‘Yeah, about 6,000,’’’ Hinson said. “No relatives but a lot of friends. I came down a day early to do the pre-stuff before we travel and got to see a lot of friends.

“My wife and I considered this may be the place we retire,” Hinson added. “Tulsa has literally everything you’d want. We raised our kids here. We’d love the opportunity to come back.”

The best thing about Tulsa?

“No question, it’s the people. No matter where you go in Tulsa, somebody will say hi, help you out,” Hinson said. “It’s one of the friendliest places there is, a big city with a small town atmosphere.”

Hinson pinpointed the biggest wins he’d been involved with in Tulsa prior to last weekend’s NCAA games.

“That would have been with coach (Self). We beat Arkansas at ORU,” Hinson said. “The biggest win is what got me into college coaching. My team at Bishop Kelley beat Oklahoma City Star Spencer when they were No. 1 in the country. We were the underdog. We beat the big dog that day.”

Recruiting

Stan Simpson, a 6-foot-10, 235-pound forward from Logan Junior College in Chicago, tweeted that KU has offered him a scholarship for next season. Simpson spent two years at the University of Illinois, one year as a red-shirt before transferring to Logan. He averaged about 14 points and 10 rebounds per game for Logan. Kentucky is reportedly his leader, with Memphis, UConn, KU, DePaul, Cincinnati, Tennessee and others hot on his trail. Simpson attended Chicago’s Simeon High.

Comments

Alohahawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations, Tyrel. Would absolutely love it if you beat out Battier and set the national record at 135 wins for your KU career. Short of lengthening the season, that would be a very difficult record for any team or player to overcome.

As for recruiting, Simpson would be a big addition (no pun intended) for next year. Logic says that both of the twins will leave early, unless there is an NBA walkout. Self won't stand in their way if they are both guaranteed first rounders. It's becoming more essential that Withey improves!!

hawk_2011 8 years, 7 months ago

Offering this Simpson kid a scholarship is probably a sign that the twins are leaving. Right? I hope that they don't leave because they only have one more year left to go to get their degrees but I guess the millions from the NBA outweigh a degree from ku.

What about selby? Any news to which way he is leaning? If he does leave then he will be the biggest bust recruit ku has had. I know there have been a lot of issues with him this year. But all I am saying is that he didn't even come close to living up to all the hype. I hope he comes back because with a full offseason to train I think he can be great next season.

But enough about the future. Let's go win a championship this year! Good luck hawks!!! Can't wait for Friday!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

Define "Bust"? I don't get that comment, It's been reported that he's been hurt the last 5 weeks with his foot and he's playing through it. He's not 100 percent, but definitely giving it a go.

I wish he was doing more as well, but if you're hurt you're hurt.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

At the risk of triplicating the answer, I believe it is your perspective that is a bust. Josh Selby is a freshman. He was suspended and then injured during the season. Before he was injured we all saw the great potential there. He has returned to play injured.

Having said that, it should be noted that Xavier was a unique recruit in being wanted in the NBA lottery picks after his first year. Josh has likely not played long enough to warrant that status. I cannot remember another freshman who went directly to the NBA from KU. Josh is more likely to return next year and continue to develop - possibly as the best player to play here since Paul Pierce.

Unlike the hype-producing media, most KU fans generally adopt a wait and see approach to new recruits. In general the trust is there that man can play and that the coaching staff will bring about year-to-year improvements while integrating each player into the best use for the team.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

I wish he was doing more as well, but if you're hurt you're hurt.

hawk_2011 8 years, 7 months ago

Ku shaw, By bust I mean that he did not live up to all the expectations that a rivals number 1 player has. I guess I bought into all the hype and expected him to be like John wall or Derrick rose. These were unrealistic expectation but selby has been nothing more than an average freshman this year. But I understand all the problems that selby has had this season and expect him to be great next year ( if he comes back).

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

I wish he was doing more as well, but if you're hurt you're hurt.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

Good Grief! What is up with the Triple Post! Sorry abou that!

milehighhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

For the love of God, someone please define "Bust" for KUShaw!

;-)

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 7 months ago

It often refers to a statue that includes the subject's head and chest.

It could be in refering to a woman's bra size.

It could be used as an action word synonomous with "break"

It could refer to the stopping of an activity, i.e. drug bust

It could be a highly acclaimed product that produces poorer than expected results.

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Tyrel on becoming the most wins of any Jayhawk ever. That said I want to thank the Jayhawk nation for helping him get the most votes for the Lowes Senior Class Award. Now it is up to the sports writers and others involved in the rest of the voting. I am liking our chances even more now for another banner. RCJH

Andy Rieger 8 years, 7 months ago

The scholarship offer can only mean that the twins are leaning towards an exit. Also, on ESPN yesterday, TRob was projected to go low 20s in this years draft. We could be looking at a large void to fill. Hope everyone wants to come back.

Alohahawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Pray for an NBA walkout. If the Hawks make it to the championship game, the national recognition will only improve the chances of our headliners heading to the NBA. And if we win the championship, it will only give more incentive to jump. It's nice going out a winner. Although, as Florida proved, it can be even nicer if you double that pleasure with back to back championships.

Hard to see where the twins could improve their level of play. As for Robinson, he's almost there, but one more year would do wonders to fine tune his already considerable talents.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

Coach has three scholarships to offer for next year with only one commitment. There may also be another player leaving after this year because playing time will not be available and another school will be able to provide that playing time.

This offer does not mean any underclassman has decided to go to the NBA. Only after the season will coach and staff sit down with each player and help them decide to leave or stay.

The potential for an NBA lockout is high and drafted players are not going to be able to 1) play; 2) work out with a team or 3) get paid until it is settled. That may cause a large number of players to forgo the draft another year including the KU players.

Eric Schneider 8 years, 7 months ago

General consensus among NBA scouts is that if TRob comes out this year he'll go in the lottery. Especially now that Thompson and Hamilton have announced they're coming back. Given the situation with his sister, I would say he's the most likely to come out. Everybody needs to remember, the NBA draft is about potential. If Julian Wright had come back for his junior year, he's probably a late first, early second round pick.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not looking ahead by any means because Richmond is a great team and VCU is playing probably the best ball in the country right now outside of Ohio State. Florida State is going to be a handful for VCU and if FSU wins will also be plenty for KU if they should get by Richmond.

Florida State being #1 in the country in defense efficiency scares me. Also, the fact they they are so long and big really caused a Notre Dame team fits and they aren't short by any stretch.

I hope Turg can help Bill Self with some scouting if those two should matchup in the Elite 8.

benshawks08 8 years, 7 months ago

Man, I am agreeing with you all over the place today. I totally agree that Florida St. is scary right now. They are playing at a really high level. On top of that didn't they just get back one of their key players from injury? If there is one team playing far and away above their seed it is FSU right now (even though VCU just crushed Purdue). Can we beat them? Of course, but here's one Jayhawk that will be rooting for VCU.

David Robinett 8 years, 7 months ago

These Twins crack me up. Alley-opp off the glass!

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm sick of hearing about Reed being the winningest KU player. He flopped against Illinois and was a big reason that game was close for so long. He didn't make his threes and had that horrible drive where he got rejected, not sure what he was thinking about there. He also passed up some open threes because he wasn't able to make them. I suppose it's good that he knew he wasn't capable of making them and gave up the ball. Still, he's going to have to shoot some threes and actually make them if he's going to be playing for 27 minutes agains Richmond.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 7 months ago

He has one one off shooting night and you're turning on him? Have you even been watching this year? He's been our most consistent guy along with the twins.

(Keep in mind also that he's dealing with a foot injury.)

jlvlawrence 8 years, 7 months ago

Strike, you should be ashamed of yourself for making that comment. Tyrel Reed is an absolute warrior. He has been playing through an injury for a while now. I know that I'm damn proud of what this kid has done in his time here.

jchawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

I just read on zagsblog that T. Thompson and J. Hamilton both said they would be returning to Texas next year. I had heard some people say that D.D might be waiting to see what Hamilton was going to do. So does this help us with his recruitment?

Chris Shaw 8 years, 7 months ago

If Hamilton stays, no way DD goes to Texas. If the Twins stay or go DD has a great shot at coming to KU because the "Rush Spot" the way Self invisions it is played by a guy like DD.

As for Duke, it's very interesting. I don't know if DD would have the grades to get into Duke, but I could be completely wrong. Also, Alex Murphy seems to be a very heavy Duke lean in the 2012 class so if DD goes to Duke I don't see Murphy heading to Duke as well. I may be wrong, but that could be a little problematic for Duke. IMO, I think we'll all know once Duke and KU finishes their season and the type of success they had.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

If DD wants to go to UT and play for an underachieving coach, more power to him!!!

Tim Orel 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm hoping we've got some guys who are sophs this year who will be part of the next couple of years - imagine if Self can continue to lead the Jayhawks to this kind of record year after year - that record would be blown away by perhaps up to ten games - just for instance, if the Hawks are 33 and 3 for four years, that would be 142 wins ( I'm averaging here, since I'm planning on the Hawks being 37 and 2 this year).