Originally published March 20, 2011 at 12:00a.m., updated March 20, 2011 at 02:12a.m.

Self motivation: Jayhawks want to win for coach

Kansas head coach Bill Self takes questions from media members about preparing to play Illinois, where he served as head coach before coming to KU, on Saturday, March 19, 2011 outside the team's locker room at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Videos

Pregame: KU vs. Illinois

video thumbnail

Kansas and Illinois face off in the third round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament on Sunday, March 20, 2011.

— Marcus Morris plans to huddle with his Kansas University basketball teammates sometime before tipoff tonight and remind the Jayhawks it’s time to win one for their coach.

“Definitely, man ... you don’t want to let that guy down,” he said of Bill Self, who at 7:40 p.m., in BOK Center, coaches against his former school, the University of Illinois, for the first time.

“He’s been through a whole lot with us. We want to go out there and play hard for him. He might not say anything about it, but I think it means a whole lot to him. I just want to get the ‘W’ for him,” Morris, KU’s junior forward from Philadelphia, added.

Self — who admitted “in my mind, I’m probably a little bit more amped up and watched a little more tape, just like I’m sure they have been doing, too” — was peppered with personal questions Saturday about his top-seeded Jayhawks (33-2) going against the No. 9-seed Illini (20-13), a school he led for three seasons (2001-03).

“I think eight years is a long time. I don’t think too many people would be hung up on it,” Self said, in the next breath, adding, “They would like nothing more than to clean our clock. We understand that. And from our standpoint, we’d like nothing more than to beat them because it would allow us to advance (to Friday’s Sweet 16 game against Richmond in San Antonio).”

Some of the Illinois media horde covering the tournament informed Self that there indeed is some lingering fan resentment over his departure back in Champaign, Ill.

“People are entitled to think and feel however they want to feel. That’s why they call them opinions,” said Self, who led Illinois to a three-year record of 78-24, a run that included two Big Ten titles and spots in the NCAA second round, Sweet 16 and Elite Eight.

“When you invest in a situation and you ask people to invest back to make it a better situation and when you leave … I can certainly understand why people would feel that way. I don’t say I totally agree with it, but that is life,” added Self, who felt the wrath of Illini fans in emails, that “stopped flooding in two or three years after I left. There haven’t been many since then.”

He actually loves the passion of Illini fans.

“What we did when I was there, even though it was just a brief period of time, I thought we got the entire Illini nation to rally around what we were trying to do, and it made it a lot of fun,” Self said. “I think they had fun following it. Bruce was able to take it to another level right after we left.”

Self’s successor, Bruce Weber, led the Illini to an undisputed Big Ten title his first year and spot in the NCAA title game his second season.

Weber, who left Southern Illinois for U of I, showed some thin skin his first year in Champaign.

Sick of people talking about his predecessor, he wore black before a game and held a mock funeral for Self.

At the funeral, Weber said: “It’s the end of Bill Self. It’s over. There’s no more comparing. He’s gone. No more talking about it. I’ll be honest. I’m fed up with it.”

Both parties discussed the winter of 2003 funeral on Saturday.

“That’s the only time my wife has been excited when I answered the phone,” Self quipped of wife, Cindy, who called to make sure he was indeed alive.

“I don’t know the context in which some things were handled. I believe in coaching, people do things to benefit their situation. I’ve done it. Everybody has done it. It was one of those things maybe needed to be done at the time. It happens. This is a ‘big boy game,’ so to speak. Whatever was said or done, that was not a big deal. I had enough stuff to worry about at KU than worry about other places.”

Weber said the funeral, “was a compliment to (Self), to be honest. How he captured the players, the fans and what he did at Illinois. Somehow I had to say, ‘Hey, we’ve got to move forward.’ I always joked I could never understand people were mad at me because he left. And I had to deal with that.

“Part of it I did for our players, too, because eight games into the season, people are still asking about Bill Self. Hey, we’ve got to stop this. We have a team, and we made a big push. First outright (Big Ten) championship in 52 years. I had to deal with a little bit of heat when I did it, but maybe it works, I guess, in the long run.”

Self said he’s not close to Weber, but respects the job he’s done. Of Self, Weber said: “I wouldn’t say he’s one of my best friends, but we have a cordial relationship.”

Just as Self has no problem with Weber, he said he also holds no animosity toward Illinois AD Ron Guenther, who ripped Self publicly for leaving U of I and reportedly ordered Self and his staff out of their offices one day after Self accepted the KU job.

“He was not a good AD. He was a great AD,” Self stressed Saturday, indicating he only has visited with Guenther once since leaving Illinois — at a Jerry Colangelo fundraiser in Chicago.

“I think he is proud of his school and his alma mater. I think anybody that fights for what they believe in, and that’s their passion and job, of course, you have a right to feel a certain way. He may have been (angry at Self leaving). I think that was probably the case for sure. At least it was let known to me that it was initially, but when you go 37-2 and go to the national championship game (under Weber) a couple years later, I would think that would take a little bit of the sting off it.”

Self realizes this is more a big deal to U of I fans than KU fans.

“I don’t think it’s a big deal in Kansas because I came to Kansas,” Self said. “Just like it would not be a big deal in North Carolina when they played Kansas, but it was a big deal to our people.”

That was in the 2008 Final Four when Self’s Jayhawks downed former KU coach Roy Williams’ Tar Heels in the national semifinals.

No former Williams players were on that KU team, just as no former Self players are on the current Illini squad.

“I don’t think the fans really care about coach Self anymore,” Illini senior guard Demetri McCamey said. “It’s been eight years. They just worry about us being successful in the tournament.”

Noted senior center Mike Tisdale: “He is a coach, and coach Weber is a coach. We’re going to do our best on the court and talk about all of the stories afterwards.”

Self hasn’t even mentioned to his troops he’s going against his former team. Players like Marcus Morris have figured it out for themselves.

“Coach has not said a word,” noted freshman Josh Selby, adding, “I’d say 50 percent is win it for coach, and 50 percent is win it for us and our fans. We want to move on.”

“We know coach Self coached there years back,” sophomore Thomas Robinson said, “but to be honest, coach Self doesn’t talk about that. Besides him talking about (former U of I guard) Deron Williams and stuff like that, I haven’t heard too much. It was long ago when he coached. This isn’t about that.”

“He hasn’t said anything,” noted senior Brady Morningstar, “but as far as us playing his old team, I’m excited for us and excited for him. It would be a good win for him.”

One of Self’s former KU and U of I assistants isn’t surprised Self has ignored the personal aspect of today’s Round of 32 game.

“Coach doesn’t get caught up in that stuff,” Norm Roberts said in a phone interview. “Those are all coach Weber’s kids now at Illinois. It’d be much different if it was Dee Brown and Deron Williams and those guys. That’d be a whole different scenario. This is just KU against Illinois.

“We had a great time in Illinois. The people there were great, cordial, treated us so well. It’s a great state and great school for basketball. I’d say this is not just another game, but it’s the next step to get to the Sweet 16, and I know coach will focus on that and nothing else.”

• A previous version of this story was updated.

Comments

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

I can see both sides of this. To be honest, Illini fans should probably be more upset about Bill Self leaving than KU fans were about Roy leaving. Not from a feeling of shock that they lost their coach, because it's far more likely that someone would leave Illinois because there are a greater number of better jobs than compared to KU. But from a standpoint that the program has fallen off, never achieving much success after Self's players left, whereas at KU the program has continued to thrive and Self accomplished something that Roy never did in 15 years here.

On the other hand, people should get over it. Obviously they hired Coach Self away from Tulsa, so for their AD to be ripping him publicly and ordering him out of his office is pretty immature. Obviously everyone invested in him - fans, players, administration - is going to be disappointed, but he's a professional and should try and hold himself to a higher standard of conduct than that of people voicing their opinions on a message board. Also, it's just bad for business. Say Bruce Weber were to leave or get fired and they were looking for a new coach, and say you're Billy Gillispie considering jobs, would you want to work for a guy knowing that if you weren't signing a lifetime contract your AD was going to stick his mug in front of a bunch of microphones and trash you? Probably not, in which case they're left scouring the ranks of assistant coaches just looking to get a shot.

Anyway, all that being said - go out and put a beatdown on them! RCJH!

utahjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I can see your point but coaches come, coaches go. What they don't generally do (if ever) is invest 15 yrs in a place having great success, hold a 20k fan pep rally to say he's staying and then leave. A little different.

Either way, Weber's and Guenther's actions 8 yrs ago are not going to be lost on our players or Bill.

Irony will prevail. It's going to be their funeral.

Dan Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh my God people would you PLEASE get over Roy's leaving. We owe him a lot for the 15 yrs he was here but we have a better coach now. Why don't we live in the present not dwell on the past!

KSseahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

You are absolutely right in that we now have a better coach. Move on from ol Roy...but this would've been a big win for the Illini fans.

CaliLAWhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Coach Self has such poise, grace and suave articulation of the task at hand. However, its much bigger than he proposes. Undeniably, this is akin to the situation we were all so enticed and vivaciously excited to undertake as the bracket unveiled our opportunity to face Williams and the Tar Heels in 2008. Without doubt, the Illini nation is "hard" for this match-up. Mario: you have made wonders of your minutes this whole year. Shut these Illinois players down when that buzzer sounds as you come off the bench -- this is your opportunity to show your home state that you are one of the best reserves in the nation. Marcus/Markieff/TRob, make them look silly down low. Brady, I want to see McCamey crying in the press room at approximately 8 o'clock Pacific time. Tyrel, stroke it like its not your first date. Roll KU. We have reservations in Space City. We need liftoff from countdown, and the same in the preceding 2 games. Then, there will be "no problems in Houston"

stm62 3 years, 8 months ago

I was never as mad at Roy as I was at N.C.. For a university that prides itself on class, I thought it was a pretty CLASSLESS act to go after our coach WHILE we were making a final four run.

kcglowboy 3 years, 8 months ago

Ditto. While preparing for the biggest game of their stellar careers, to have to answer coaching carousel questions HAD to have been disrupting and disappointing to Nick and Kirk. And to have "our" Dean Smith so actively involved in the process rubbed salt in the wound.

cklarock 3 years, 8 months ago

+1.

Honestly, that was the only element that deserved scorn.

Roy went to his dream job, moved closer to his family, and did it for more money. KU got a better, younger coach, and both coaches have since won National Championships. There's a whole lot of win there for both programs.

If UNC had waited until after the season was over to send Dean out to guilt-trip Roy, there'd be no hard feelings at all. That said, I do think they shafted Doherty, who seemed like a great guy while he was here in Lawrence, but that's UNC's business.

bdk980 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 They definitely shafted Doherty. Roy's first championship doesn't not belong to him (in my opinion), it belongs to his former assistant. A highschool AAU coach could have taken that years championship team to glory...six first round draft picks including one Sean May who was just flat out unguardable. With that said, I was happy to see Roy go, fifteen years and nothing to show for it. Bill Self's the man...RCJH!

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

One game at a time, Hawks. This, the Illinois game, is the most important game of the season, so far.

Remember the Texas game, and how you came out and steam rolled the Longhorns for the Big 12 Championship. Remember the euphoria of winning that tournament

Mindset on positive. Eliminate anything negative. A missed shot is in the past. All future shots will burn the nets.

Keep in mind that one #1 seed, Pitt, has been eliminated. So, let that be a warning.

Crank everything up a notch. Make your freethrows and we win.

Now, lets continue this fun and exciting season.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

When motivated, Kansas is clearly the best team in the Country. Now it is time to prove it on the court. Pretty simple, win or go home!

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Self wants to beat Weber's and Guenther's Illini so bad he can taste it.

AD Guenther orders Self and his staff out of their offices immediately?

Weber holds a mock burial of Self?

A coach and man like Self will never forget, or forgive, those bush-league actions!

Never.

Not after a thousand wins.

Not after 20 conference championships.

Not after ten rings.

Not even if Cin told him "Drop it, Bill, its water under the bridge."

Never.

Ever.

Self is a guy who never forgets his coaches, or players that treat him right. He is a guy who still goes home to Oklahoma for the holidays. He is a guy with kind words for Oral Roberts all these years later, despite Roberts' tarnished image, because Roberts gave him his first head coaching job. He is a guy who sends recruits to Leonard Hamilton as a favor to the first coach that hired him as a full time assistant. He is a guy who brought Larry Brown back into the KU family, because LB gave him his first shot as a graduate assistant. He is a guy who honors Eddie with a rocker, even though Eddie had a recent binge, because Eddie gave him the secret recipe for 70-Point-Take-What-They-Give-Us that has carried Bill to the pinnacle of his profession. Self is a guy who does the right thing and throws Mario Little a red shirt, as a junior, to make sure he has a chance to get a degree, because Mario Little sacrificed his body, and maybe a part of his career for Self Mario's first season. Self is a guy who stands by Lew Perkins caught in the middle of a fecal storm, because Lew stood by him through thick and thin, and because Lew never tried to shift any of his problems onto Self. Self is a guy who hires decent coaches given raw deals elsewhere, because they were close once (Hinson and Kyle), or because they deserve a second chance (Townsend). Self is a guy who will up a season's routine, put a team on a plane, skip practice, and attend a funeral of a mother of a player, even though it means almost certainly taking a loss in a very important game at an important time of season.

I believe, Self wants Ron Guenther's and Bruce Weber's scalps. I believe he wants Guenther's, because Guenther didn't act like a man about Self leaving for a better job. He wants Weber's scalp, because Weber didn't act like a coach. In Self's ethical world, coaches look out for each other. They beat each other on the floor, and they try to out recruit each other across the country, but they never, never, never show another coach any thing but respect, because every coach is on a hot seat and any disparaging remark could be used as grounds to fire another coach.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Self wants Guenther and Weber buried up to their pencil necks in red clay next to a colony of fire ants on meth.

Norm Roberts is right. Playing the Illini 8 years later without Dee Brown and Deron Williams will not be as emotionally charged in an ambivalent way for Self, as playing them right after he left Champaign would have been. But with those players gone, and Guenther and Weber still there, Self can unequivocally want to beat those two jerks into the next century.

Still, on the Amp Scale, Self is probably only going to dial KU up to an 7 or 8 on a 10 scale, 10 being highest.

Settling an 8-year-old score is not as important as the grand strategy for winning this tournament.

But for amping context, Self amped them up to 10 for UNC in 2008.

He amped them to 8 for the Texas game in the B12 Championship.

He barely amped them to 2 for the previous Boston U game.

He could probably amp them to 5 and grind it out and get a win against the Illini.

But since it is the second game of the first weekend, and since he has a score to settle, Self will probably geek them to a 7, put some wood on them, and move on knowing the score is settled.

But there will be a little devil whispering in Bill Self's ear, "Go on, Bill, amp them up to 9 and really beat the shiz out of them for ordering you and your staff out of your offices, like you were some kind of crooks that could not be trusted."

He won't do it, but he will think about it.

Next.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate, please enlighten me. What is his method for amping?

I never had a coach good enough to do this....seemed every game was the same.

Is it clearly a motivational speech and the semantics involved?

What kind of speech would amp Jayhawk Nation up to a 10 for this game!!?

utahjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Best stuff ever jaybate. Way to bring it strong.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 8 months ago

First, I loved this post. Anytime Self, who is pretty much the dictionary definition of friendly (at least off the court), refers to his relationship with someone as "cordial," you know he really means "It takes every ounce of self control we have not to spit in each other's eyes when we pass in the hall." So, yeah. Awesome post. IMO, Coach Self wants this win baaaad.

One thing I would respectfully disagree with, though: I don't think you're giving the players enough credit. Speaking from experience, it's totally possible for players to geek, amp, or otherwise jack up their own intensity levels. For example, I really don't think Coach Self had to do anything to get the guys excited to play Texas for the B12 Championship. They'd been craving Longhorn steak since January.

I think this could be a similar situation. FOE is the team's rallying cry, and it extends to the "father figures" on the coaching staff as well. I hope (and expect) our guys to strike down upon Illinois with great vengeance and furious anger. Judging by their comments, they want to mock-slay their coach's mock-murderer as much as everyone else does.

So yeah, Self may only amp them to a seven. But add that to the players' own amping, and this game has the potential to go all the way to eleven. And it it does (and I really hope it does), then they'll be cleaning bits of traffic cone orange off the BOK Center walls for weeks.

Let's go out there and take care of business, boys.

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

Right you are Phog...dig the Biblical scripture post-modification :) It is going to take nothing less than a wrathful hand and an absolutely determined KU team to make this happen today.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

I am curious as to what Self amped them to vs. UNI, Bucknell, Bradley, UCLA, and other teams we should have beaten in the tournament.

This post (as it relates to the amping) should have the "all fiction/no malice" admonition.

It is unrealistic to believe, like dialing the setting on a shock collar, coach Self can manage the ferver in which he preps his team to that degree. Sure, he can manage it it to some level .. but no where near a scale of 1 - 10.

But even if you buy that ... does anyone really think he would take the risk of not "amping" his team in the NCAA tournament. To say "we can get by" with this approach. It is simply preposterous (sounding like a stuffy Englishman there) to suggest he would even risk letting his team go out flat.

Just not even a possibility.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 8 months ago

If we play like we did against OSU in the Big XII tournament or against BU the first half, we're history. If we play like we did against Texas in the Big XII tournament, we're moving on to the next round. Simple as that.

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

Tulsa World front page headline: PRIMETIME PLOT: WILL SELF RISE FROM THE 'DEAD' TO AVENGE ILLINI SUCCESSORS?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

this is scary. these guys are big and have played and won some tough games. anyone know what happend to them torwards the end of the season? they seemed to tail of at the end. someone get hurt or something?

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

Tulsa World, Sunday, March 20, Sports Section; front page: PRIMETIME PLOT: WILL SELF RISE FROM THE 'DEAD' TO AVENGE ILLINI SUCCESSOR?

In my opinion, Self is above all this stuff. Weber is nothing but an egotist who needs the attention and spotlights and throws a tissy-tantrum for the fans to see when he is not getting enough attention.

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self and staff did a terrific job in getting Illinois basketball up and running near full steam. He recruited and developed outstanding players who obviously were slow to adapt to a change in coaching style...just as Lankford, Miles and Simien were still attached to the habits, patterns and charisma of dear ol' Roy. If accurate, the report that Self and staff were summarily ejected from their Illinois offices would appear to be bush league politics. But who knows what went on behind the scenes by way of promises or personal frictions. It is to be hoped that no Kansas University athletic director would ever react in such a manner to a coach's departure, whatever the reason. I well remember the furor of the Jayhawk Nation re Roy Williams' departure only a season or two after which he pledged to stay; but surely his break with the program was handled in a less peremptory manner than, evidently, was Bill Self's. Something we all have to remember is that there might come a day when once again we are brought face to face with the announcement that another legendary coach might choose to depart our program before reaching the age of retirement. If that happens, we must bear the grace and courtesy to offer our best wishes; then hope for another miracle hire similar to that found when Roy chose to return to his alma mater. And presume upon our A.D. to handle the transition in a noble and positive manner. That said, in the spirit of sport and the intricacies of hoops politics, it might be a real joy for Bill Self and Co. and the entire Jayhawk Nation to revel in the man's popping, symbolically, from an open casket tonight, proving to the Illini followers that somewhere a couple of hundred miles west of the Mississippi their former thought-to-be deceased basketball coach had resurrected and continued his journey to become the winningest Div. I coach of alltime. RCJH!

MinnesotaJay 3 years, 8 months ago

KU wins, nice, whew, we move on. U of I wins, decade saved, Weber enshrines a solid platinum DVD in his trophy closet.

AsadZ 3 years, 8 months ago

Not to change the subject, word on the street is that Bill Gillespie has agreed to coach Texas Tech. If true this is a good news for the league. He is going to turn around that program sooner rather than later.

David Leathers 3 years, 8 months ago

Hahahaha.... I was just going to post the same thing... ESPN.com is reporting that they have come to an agreement on a contract, but haven't signed it yet. Coach Self is gonna have fun playing against his buddy twice a year now..

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

this is good news. i didn't want him to end up at ou or possibly mu (cbs reported anderson to ark yesterday but haven't heard anything today). it's a lot harder to get good players to go to lubbock tx compared to the other places.

hawk4evr 3 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self never told the players and fans at Illinois that the next major press conference he held would be to annouce his "retirement from coaching and from the University of Illinois". Roy Williams did tell the players and fans of KU this. I think that is where alot of the resentment and anger come from when it comes to Roy.

bad_dog 3 years, 8 months ago

Furthermore, it's a little hard to understand an AD that gets all bent over a coach that leaves to take a position he specified as a buy out option in his Illinois employment contract.

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

Can you imagine the emotional pressure on Weber? If Self cleans his clock tonight then the Illinois fans will once again be comparing him with Self. Self ended comparisons with Ol' Roy when Self cleaned N.C.'s clock in the NCAA's on the road to the National Championship.

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 - I can imagine you immobilized on a couch in a padded suit. Good call Slayer, this is going to be the biggest one yet. Hope that explosion lifts the performance of our 'Hawks to a new level!

Dale Kroening 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow Illini fans talking a lot of smack on the boards at espn. All they can talk about is the UNI game last year and that we are going to lose to a 9 seed that beat UNLV for the 2nd straight year. I hope we pound them into oblivion. Lets take it to them Jayhawks and show them what a top team really looks like ! RCJHGKU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

I have a hefty amount of concern about this game, because it will take every tool in the box to win this one. I don't like all the exterior focus, I like that Self has been spending more time than average on tape prepping for U of I. Hope to see an even scoring balance today and an even amount of time for our top 7, and selfishly hope to see Releford get some big defensive minutes today. I hope our guys have gotten some good rest and I'm sure they've spent some brow-wrinkling minutes in front of the tape player to prep for defensive assignments. I think it's every man for himself on the floor today on face-defense, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a zone approach to balancing their offensive weapons.

Emotionally, I'm with everyone, I think - 'Hawks, get this one stuck in your craw and go out there, bazookas blazing, and have a B12 Texas kind of day today! R C J H G K U

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

p>SI.com reports that Gillispie got a 5-year contract. Good news for Big 12 hoops. First two rounds of this tournament does not shine a good light on overall strength of our league. Give Billy a couple of seasons and he will be scrapping for huge victories.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 8 months ago

do you really think its just that easy?

lance1jhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Whatever Troll... Howabout you just go away, and worry about your Mizzery Tigers finding a new coach?

Seth Peattie 3 years, 8 months ago

Weber is a tool, Illinois can SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vittorio1224 3 years, 8 months ago

Just remember THREE simple letters Jayhawks: F.O.E. ~ Coach Self is the Leader of the Family. Circle the wagons -- time to lace 'em up and get it on. Let your play ON the court speak for itself. 'Nuf said!

Brian Stoops 3 years, 8 months ago

anyone know where I can watch the game online tonight?

espn3? cbssports?

Dale Kroening 3 years, 8 months ago

cbssportsline is showing ALL games online.

shyne_reno 3 years, 8 months ago

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO STREAMLINE LIVE ON THE INTERNET TO WATCH LIVE EVENTS ONLINE? CURRENTLY HAVE SOME DOWN TIME FROM MY POST AND wOULd LIKe TO TRY AND WATCH THE GAME. Thank you from a proud service member and Jayhawk fanatic!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

oxcal: Nice final four .. I have the same, except for Texas instead of SDSU .. didn't get in the bracket challenge but posted it here just before the tourney. I have like Wisconsin all season, but for the one 33 point effort. Lots of variety.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Will be interesting how we defend Illinois' big front line. And it will be interesting to see how the twins fare .. we've seen them struggle vs. real front lines before. Will we shoot the ball, or will be shoot like we did vs. Oklahoma St?

This is a game that we could definitely lose. It is not a gimme. Comparable opponent to Colorado from a talent perspective, but bigger. Perhaps a mix of Colorado and Baylor. Watched 3 Illinois games this season and really, was thought they underachieved this season.

Curious as to why we saw Releford, when he was absent for three weeks. Hope we see more of him.

We all will be monitoring TT's control level.

Will any of you now apologize to oxcal for mocking his statements that the Big 12 was overrated .. other than Texas and KU? I think someone called him a troll? He was dead-on with that one. Then again, I thought he sang the Big East's praises, too.. batting .500.

KULA 3 years, 8 months ago

We saw Releford because Brady got burned to the hole about 4 times in the first 5 minutes. His man had 10 of Boston's first 19 pts. And yeah, the Big 12 is overrated. Any conference that can be dominated by one team for 7 years can't be that good. Only 1 Big 12 Final Four appearance in those 7 years.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

With K-State loss last night and Wichita State's win this morning, the Jayhawks can't let us down tonight, right? We don't want this to come down to the last possession!

ljmhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I want ku to take it hard to the hole...do NOT settle for jump shots....get them in foul trouble early and Dominate like Ohio state did...I want them to be out of the game by halftime. play hard because u will get 4 days off at least til the next game. go HARD!!

KSseahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Krug...Awesome photo...again. Captures everything. Nice job.