Saturday, March 19, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook

Videos

KU vs. Boston University

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Boston University in the second round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament on Friday, March 18, 2011 at BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 72-53 victory over Boston on March 18, 2011.

Download podcast

KU-Illinois at 7:40 p.m.

Kansas University will meet Illinois approximately 7:40 p.m. Sunday at BOK Center, NCAA officials announced Friday night. The Texas-Arizona opener will begin at 5:10 p.m. Both games will be televised on TNT.

Self on Illini

No. 9-seed Illinois of the Big Ten Conference defeated No. 8 UNLV, 73-62, on Friday night.

“I am pretty familiar with Illinois,” said Kansas coach Bill Self, who coached three years at Illinois before taking the KU job eight years ago.

“They are capable of beating anybody in the field, which they have shown,” added Self, who most certainly at today’s news session will be peppered with questions about going against his former school.

Illinois (20-13) has beaten North Carolina (79-67), Gonzaga (73-61), Wisconsin (69-61) and Michigan State (71-62) in a somewhat inconsistent season.

“We definitely have to protect him,” KU senior Brady Morningstar said of Self. “It’s where he coached before. Whenever we play, we want to play for him.”

The Jayhawks were sort of looking forward to playing against UNLV’s Quintrell Thomas, who started his career at KU.

“I saw Quintrell in the hall and patted him on the back,” Morningstar said. “I said it was good to see him and good luck.”

Thomas had nine points and four boards versus Illinois.

Selby’s debut

KU freshman guard Josh Selby scored two points on the fast break and was one of five players to score in a 21-4 run that stretched a 47-41 lead over Boston University to 68-45.

For the game, Selby scored four points with two assists and two rebounds in 15 minutes.

“In the second half, my team told me they needed me to bring energy and do what I do, play defense, make easy layups,” said Selby, who played 11 minutes the second half of KU’s 72-53 victory.

“So I tried to play with energy, keep my man from scoring and make buckets I usually make. Actually, that gave us a spark, and I’m happy I could do that for the team.”

Selby was understandably nervous in his NCAA Tournament debut.

“I’m nervous every game,” the Baltimore combo guard said. “No matter if it is a street ball game, I am always nervous. It is a natural habit. I’m nervous because my mother always told me if you aren’t nervous, you aren’t ready to play. It’s my way of calming down.”

Of Selby, Self said: “Today was a game in which he gave us a boost. It was positive. The ball still didn’t go in the hole for him (2-for-6 shooting), and I believe it will, and the lid’s going to come off. But he was a boost for us the second half.”

Guarding Holland

Marcus Morris took a turn guarding John Holland (19 points, 7-for-19 shooting) late in the first half.

“He came at the four, so I had to guard him. It was my assignment, but, I mean, he’s a helluva player,” Morris said. “For a team like that to come in and play the way they did, you have to give them a lot of credit. He’s definitely a leader on that team, and I think they have a great team.”

Brady Morningstar was the primary defender on Holland, who scored just four points the second half off 1-of-9 shooting.

“Brady guarded Holland really well,” Self said. “He got two threes when Brady wasn’t in the game or when he wasn’t on him because they went small and played at the four and we didn’t get to him a couple of times.

“He did a nice job on him. He tried to front him in the post. He made shots,” Self added of Morningstar, who hit three of five threes and scored 13 points, eight the second half.

“He made a couple of boneheaded plays throwing it away (two turnovers), trying to hit a home run. But Brady’s dependable. You know what you are getting with him, and he was very good on both ends tonight.”

‘Soft’ shooting

Self was bothered by one part of the Jayhawks’ offense on a night KU hit just 41.9 percent the first half, heating up to 61.5 the second.

“We shot the ball soft,” he said. “I don’t know how many times we missed layups underneath, particularly shots we normally make.”

Also ... “mental mistakes, scouting-report mistakes or them beating us to loose balls and things like that probably irritate me the most.”

‘Wake up’

Self screamed “wake up” at Tyshawn Taylor on BU’s third possession of the second half.

Self was asked if that message was for Taylor or the whole team.

“That was for him,” Self said. “The thing about it is, he’s looking around to see where a ball screen’s coming, and there wasn’t one. You can’t do that. You can’t have your head on a swivel worrying about where everybody else is. I thought that was a very poor play by him. But Tyshawn played well. He had seven dimes and three turnovers. He shot it well (10 points, 4-for-8 shooting). That’s a pretty good performance because their point guard was good.”

Tired Terriers?

Did KU wear out Boston?

“Well, you hope so,” Self said. “But you don’t wear people out in the first half. They had guys play a lot of minutes. We had guys play more minutes than normal the first half. In the NCAA Tournament, the minutes aren’t as big a factor because the timeouts are so long. And there is one more of them.

“But we did get the ball inside. Usually size, when you are able to do that, size does take advantage of the offensive rebounds, the kind of back-breaking type points, and we got several of those. It helps when your big guys can step out and make a shot, too.”

Comments

Toto_the_great 8 years, 8 months ago

There was an extra time out? When? Under 16, 12, 8, 4 min marks and the use-it-or-lose-it first half one both teams get. I didn't notice another one.

Mkultra 8 years, 8 months ago

The first 30 second time out called becomes a full media time out.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 8 months ago

I think there will be a little extra something there for Illinois, much like when we played UNC in the Final Four. I am hoping this one is over early and the bench can get more minutes.

KU79 8 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm...."scouting report mistakes," was Self calling out asst. coaches, or players not paying attention the the reports?

Clydecito 8 years, 8 months ago

He was referencing their big guy who hit two or three 3 pointers. He said the dude had like 6 shots in all conference season and then hits 2 or 3 of them in this one game. Later they said the guy had like 16 three pointers all year.

kcglowboy 8 years, 8 months ago

Gary, can you shed some light on this? Because the way it read, sounded like Coach was unhappy with one of his assistants.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

From reading Self talk about things similar to this in the past, it seems to me that he was saying the players weren't following the information given in the scouting report. It sounded like he was just listing the problems on the floor: "mental mistakes, scouting report mistakes..." i.e. guys weren't paying attention or doing the things they told them to do or watch out for.

You guys may be reading a little too much into an off-handed comment.

Ken Harms 8 years, 8 months ago

Agree. Players were missing things that had been specifically taught in this game's scouting report.

benshawks08 8 years, 8 months ago

I don't think so. Brady referenced a bad scouting report too, talking about Holland. He was under the impression he would be a driver not a catch and shoot guy. Where does that come from? The scouting report. Brady had to make his own adjustments to lock him down instead of relying on the scouting.

Now does this mean an assistant botched the scout and should be held accountable? Probably not. Boston, I'm sure, did some things they had never done before because they were a 16 playing a 1 and had to pull out all the stops. Holland probably is a driver most of the time but knew he needed to knock down threes to keep them in it. The other big with 16 threes in a season (not very many) knew that he needed to stretch the D if they were going to have a chance.

Those guys miss those shots they likely were somewhat unaccustomed to taking and were talking about a 30 point walk in the park with KU dominating the whole time. Game planning for the HUGE upset has to be do stuff we've never done before and hope it works because what we do normally isn't good enough. BU did that and it worked kind of for about 20 minutes.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Fair enough, but scouting reports are based on teams/players tendencies. If you do something against your team's natural tendencies, that's not a scouting report error, it's an adjustment. You can't scout what a team doesn't usually do. That defeats the whole purpose.

I think you need to stick to the argument that he was either calling out his assistant (which seems highly, highly unlikely just given the context of the quote) or listing the errors the players were making on the floor (not going after loose balls, mental mistakes, scouting mistakes... again, context).

I'm not seeing where Brady's is referencing a bad scouting report (please show if you can, I must have missed it), just him saying he needed to pick up his game in the second half and shut Holland down.

Again, though, if someone does something against his tendencies of what he did in 30 other games, that's not the scouting report's fault.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 8 months ago

I took it as part of his list of what the players did wrong.

benshawks08 8 years, 8 months ago

He might have been talking about how they go to a long commercial break at every time out as the extra time out. Can't stand how long the last minute of a close game takes in the Tournament.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

“The thing about it is, he’s looking around to see where a ball screen’s coming, and there wasn’t one. You can’t do that. You can’t have your head on a swivel worrying about where everybody else is." --Bill Self on Tyshawn Taylor defending

This is one of my favorite Selfism's yet. And it goes a long way to demonstrating why Bill Self is both so hard to play for and so effective at building defense.

Think about what he is saying here. Somehow Tyshawn is supposed to know there is a ball screen coming, or not, without even looking around for it. :-)

Apparently, Self expects Tyshawn (and everyone else) to keep his forward vision focused on the belly button of the man with the ball, and rely 100 percent on his peripheral vision, hands and circumstance to recognize an impending ball screen.

Okay, coach.

But what if the ball screen comes up straight behind him, as has lately become the de rigeur, and TT gets scraped off because peripheral vision cannot pick it up?

Does Self say, "No, problem Ty, just keep having a fun"?

No, Self reams him a new one for not recognizing the ball screen soon enough and fighting over it, or through it.

So how does Self expect his players to recognize that ball screens are not coming, or are coming without keeping their heads on swivels?

By a whole lot of awareness about player movements and positioning on the floor and on tendencies of movement of other teams in their offenses.

tfish 8 years, 8 months ago

I believe his teammates are supposed to call out the ball screens set by the player they are guarding so Tyshawn would know.

addlime 8 years, 8 months ago

Yes, players will call out the ball screen! TT shouldn't be looking around, that's what they teach. If TT gets slammed on a ball screen, Self will ream the big man that didn't call it out. There is a lot of pontificating in this post and its all based on a false premise.

Dan Harris 8 years, 8 months ago

Its called counting on your teammates to call out a blindside screen

Dan Harris 8 years, 8 months ago

sorry tfish, posted before reading your post

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

In short, Tyshawn Taylor, the player Self regularly says can do things physically on demand that other players on the KU team just can't do period, has to have a big basketball IQ, too. Self expects him to recognize situations without having to keep swivelling his head for visual confirmation.

So TT gets scraped on a ball screen.

So Self reams him.

So TT starts looking every which way for ball screens.

So Self reams him for looking every which way.

And Self doesn't tell him, "Ty, keep your eyes forward and read the situation."

Instead, Self roars in his deepest, angriest Hank Iba bellar: "Wake..Up!!!!!"

It is hard to say if Self puts his players between rocks and hard places like this intentionally, or it just the way Self sees the world.

"Of course you have to do the impossible and see the ball screen without looking for it. Wake Up!!! You need situational awareness, Lance Corporal Taylor, or your ass is grass and I am the lawn mower!!!"

As my father, a former Marine, liked to say, while getting in my face after a particularly bad play, or test, probably to drive me nuts: Listen up, the difficult comes easy, the impossible takes a little longer.

There just are certain activities in life that we have to do that our minds and senses are just not particularly well equipped to do, nor are they ever going to be particularly well equipped to do.

Coach Self seems to be reminding Tyshawn that just because something seems impossible, does not mean we should be excused from accomplishing it.

What used to follow "Listen up, the difficult comes easy, the impossible takes a little longer," was always me saying, "but, but, how?"

To which my father's response was: "Find a way. I can't do everything for you."

I believe this was partly what Coach Self was trying to communicate to Tyshawn with "Wake up!" :-)

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self versus Bruce Weber.

Weber got a lot of strokes for winning big with Self's material.

Weber never walked around thanking Bill Self for the full cupboard.

Self has got to want a piece of Weber.

Gots to.

And Weber has got to want to prove that he can beat Self without Self's material.

Grudge match.

Not in a bad blood sort of way.

But in a mano a mano way.

Who's the better dog?

This ought to be a great game.

utahjayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Yea, it's personal. The team will step up and get it for Bill to shut up those that be ILLin.

I hate orange -- regular, burnt, Orange Crush -- all of it.

addlime 8 years, 8 months ago

As for the longer time outs, I hate it. Its a great equalizer for inferior teams with less talent, less depth, poorer conditioning, and less offensive skills. It makes it harder for KU to wear out the inferior team and harder for KU to get in a groove offensively. I think its a big reason there are so many upsets in the first rounds.

Andy Hess 8 years, 8 months ago

" “He came at the four, so I had to guard him. It was my assignment, but, I mean, he’s a helluva player,” Morris said. "

Did he tell you to spell that incorrectly, or did you just think that "helluva" was a word? Seriously, man. It's three words, and it's "hell of a." I shouldn't have to tell you this.

ParisHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

"Talking about being loose before a game will only make us tight in the games." I have seen that so many times in analogous situations! Excellent series of posts, although putting your finger on the problem is not the same as curing it.

hawksfan08 8 years, 8 months ago

We never looked like we were having fun last night. If that continues, we won't be playing much longer.

GabrielMichael 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm with D'Slayer! No more negativity! No more uh oh here we go again! B.S.! It's time to take the fight to them! In the immortal words of St. Dominic... "It is better to be a hammer than an anvil"!

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 8 months ago

there's no way we'll be tight in this game....it will be a mans game, two big time college programs from big time leagues going at it.

and, to top it off, the guy who replaced the other coach who, moved on to a better program and won a national title, is on the hot seat, and probably hasn't really stopped hearing about how his greatest success was with that coach's recruits, and he hasn't come close since.

and the coach that moved on, wants to shows his previous school, how much he enjoys his new team, how this indeed was a better gig, and i've built my own program with my own guys, and i'm going to kick your tail to prove it.

Go Jayhawks!