Thursday, March 17, 2011

KU coach Bill Self: Jayhawk basketball team ‘loose’ in arrival to Tulsa

Kansas University coach Bill Self speaks with media members after arriving at the Renaissance Hotel in Tulsa, Okla.

photo

Kansas coach Bill Self exits the team bus after arriving at the Renaissance Hotel on Wednesday in Tulsa, Okla.

Jayhawks arrive in Tulsa

The Kansas Jayhawks men’s basketball team arrived at their hotel in Tulsa, Okla., Wednesday night, and KU coach Bill Self addressed the media. The Jayhawks play Boston University Friday in their opening game of the NCAA basketball tournament.

— Travis Releford and Josh Selby carried Cheddar’s Casual Cafe to-go boxes off Kansas University’s big, black charter bus into the Renaissance Hotel shortly after 9 p.m. on Wednesday.

The two Jayhawk basketball players obviously enjoyed KU’s first team meal in T-Town, site of Friday’s 5:50 p.m. NCAA Tournament game against Boston University.

“Well, we had an assortment of things: ribeye, shrimp and some broccoli and cheese casserole, pretty tasty,” KU coach Bill Self reported to a horde of media members stationed outside the team hotel.

“They are loose,” Self added of his top-seeded Jayhawks (32-2). “It’s not that difficult to get them loose right now. They are excited. I can tell. We have had pretty energized practices. We haven’t gone long (last two days), but they’ve been energized.”

The Jayhawks practiced Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse, hopping on a bus for Tulsa just after 2:30 p.m. After checking in, it was off to the nearby restaurant for dinner.

One topic of conversation had to be President Obama picking KU to win the NCAA Tournament. He believes the Jayhawks will down Ohio State in the national championship game.

“Didn’t he do that last year, too?” Self said.

Indeed, Obama picked the Jayhawks to win it all in 2010 after correctly picking North Carolina in 2009.

“We’re going to prove him right this year, at least try to. I don’t put much stock in that stuff. I hope he turns out to be a very wise man,” Self added.

The Jayhawks are to hold an open practice from 4:25 p.m. to 5:05 p.m. today in BOK Center in downtown Tulsa, site of Friday and Sunday second- and third-round games.

Self knows the area well. He coached Oral Roberts from 1994 to ’97 and Tulsa from 1998 to 2000.

“Of course we had a great time in our seven years here,” Self said. “We have a lot of friends around, ex-players. I’m happy to be back. I’m happy to bring my team back. It’s been a goal every year to position yourself to play close to home in the first two rounds. This is the best situation for us. Oklahoma hasn’t been good ... at least Oklahoma City hasn’t been good to us in the postseason,” added Self, whose Jayhawks lost to Northern Iowa in the second round last year and Bucknell in the first round in ’05 in OKC’s Ford Center.

“We need to change that this weekend,” he added.

Oral Roberts was the school that gave Self his first head-coaching job. He had records of 6-21, 10-17, 18-9 and 21-7 before moving on to Tulsa, where his teams went 19-12, 23-10 and 32-5.

“I don’t think about the 18 losses in a row that often (in first year at ORU) until you guys remind me of it, but those were great years,” Self said. “We ended up winning 31 of our last 38 there, which was a great accomplishment. Going to Tulsa and having the great team that went to the Elite Eight (2000) ... in all honesty should have been in the Final Four. Those were great times and great memories and everything. Certainly I think of those players all the time, especially when I am in the area.”

Of course, if KU is able to beat Boston, the Jayhawks would meet either Illinois or UNLV at a yet-to-be-determined time Sunday. UNLV is led by former Illini coach Lon Kruger. Self coached at U of I from 2001 to ’03.

“They always said the committee has a strange sense of humor because you see things like this happen periodically,” Self said of all the Illinois coaches here. “We’ve stayed away from Illinois (in NCAAs) for seven years. The law of averages has to catch up sooner or later. UNLV has been a team in our bracket three of the last four years. I don’t think it’s an easy draw.

“Of course there are no easy draws. We have to worry about the first game. Certainly we are not playing a No. 16 seed. It’s a little bit different this year. We are playing a 15 seed by every standard every other year. There are six teams (this year) on the 16 line. Those four teams are playing play-in games, so naturally BU would have been a 15 seed last year. I told our guys 15 seeds have beaten one seeds before. Our guys have to be ready for that.

“Boston is fast, well-coached and really guard. Their defensive stats are better than ours. We know we have to play well.”

Comments

lee3022 8 years, 8 months ago

I don't think anyone on the team has forgotten last year. Just like they did not forget Texas, this year they should be ready to set the world right. I like the draw and I love that we do not need someone else to knock off a team. Jayhawks are the team, playing as they have this last month, nobody wants to play.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

Okay, headline writers, I give you guys/gals some strokes and what do you do?

You write a headline implying KU needs Kaopectate.

Do it again.

Do it again.

HTK.

KU79 8 years, 8 months ago

"HTK," the title of a book by my advisor and favorite prof at KU, John Bremner. He also scared the crap out of me.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

Hard-livered former (?) Jesuits professing can be intimidating. :-)

Ron Franklin 8 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate & Others..

Can any of you confirm W.S. Burroughs was a professor at KU for a small piece of time? I am quite certain he lived in Lawrence and liked to throw knives at things, but I am curious if any of the older students here had any stories about him?

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

Lived low profile in Lawrence last decade or so of his life. Have never heard that he taught at KU, not the best source for that, since I have never inquired.

Eliott Reeder 8 years, 8 months ago

Burroughs never taught at KU. Just lived out the last years of his life here in Lawrence...

Brad Devlin 8 years, 8 months ago

I get what HCBS is trying to say, but no 15 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed before - that would have to happen in the Regional Finals.

Viggo3003 8 years, 8 months ago

Hang Loose Bill!!!

Viggo3003 8 years, 8 months ago

Ooops well it didn't post the right image, oh well. Rock Chalk guys I want to be partying on Mass Street on April 4th!

goshenjhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that this week another Jayhawk joined the family as my wife and I welcomed our first child -- a little baby boy!:) For those who remember - a couple weeks ago I posted about finding out that one of the possible doctors at delivery was a Mizzou grad. I am pleased to report that he did not deliver our baby, and the baby is doing fantastic!:) (I am sure those two facts are related) Sorry I know this is isnt typical message board stuff, but just couldn't hardly hold it in anymore:) There will be another Jayhawk watching the game with his dad tomorrow night! Rock Chalk forever!

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 8 months ago

"Good on you".."Congrats".."Mazel Tov".."Way to Go" goshen!

Hope Baby Goshenjhawk enjoys his first game.

Good judgement call on not using the Mizz. Dr. Your son could have been born with antlers!

JHawk74 8 years, 8 months ago

Congrats on your new addition to the family! RCJH!

Dan Harris 8 years, 8 months ago

Congrats! Make sure and use a washcloth when changing his diaper so he doesn't get ya! lol

rggeiger 8 years, 8 months ago

I made my daughter watch the 2008 game against Memphis. She was so tired and KU was up heavily so I let her go to bed. When the game started slipping away and I couldn't take it anymore I had to go wake her up. We all know how that turned out so i am glad I did. I to this day am unsure if her watching or Mario's shot was more the deciding factor in that game. Hope you will someday have a similar memory with your daughter. RCJH!

lincase 8 years, 8 months ago

I think your daughter tipped the universe just enough to let Mario's shot go through! I trust that she will be watching this year. Everything that we can do, we should do. We have good friends that will never watch another KU game with us, because we watched the loss to Arizona in the Sweet 16 with them. All fans need to do their part.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 8 months ago

congrats! Raise him right. Make sure he stays true blue to KU!

lincase 8 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations! I remember the thread. It was soon after Thomas Robinson lost his mother. It brightened up some very sad days just a little bit.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 8 months ago

Awesome!! Congrats Goshen!!

It's good to be proud and and shout it out loud!

We are also expecting in July (my first son) and we went to the Okie St game the other day in KC and according to my wife he was more active during our time at the sprint center than he ever has been!! He's got my hopes up that he's already a Jayhawk.

Anyway...super happy for you, and good luck with everything! Who knows, maybe someday they'll be walking down The Hill together!

SaulGood 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey, congrats man! Wish you all the best with the newest member of your family!

Woody Cragg 8 years, 8 months ago

Huge congratulations Goshenjhawk! Just posted yesterday that my Dad was feeding me KUBB in 1952. And you're payin the right preacher too! Missouri doc may have had an axe to grind. This will be one of the greatest years of your life regardless of hoops. Again, all the best to you and yours, always.

REHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Sidenote to The Ferrari: Hold the pedal to the metal...but stay inside the lines!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Man, Self is pulling out everything he can think of to not get this team complacent. I love the "15 seed" anaology . Hey, whatever works. Like I always say, the NCAA tournament is three 4 team tournaments. Worry about your first 4 team tournament and then move on. I mean, How many 4 team tournaments has Kansas won at the Sprint Center over the years during the holidays? Don't worry about the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 games and take care of the gauntlet in the round of 64 and 32 games. Let's get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Brown 8 years, 8 months ago

Who do we want to draw, Kruger or Illini?

Ron Franklin 8 years, 8 months ago

Illini for sure. Kruger is smart enough to slow the game down, not so sure about Weber.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

For some reason, I am superstitious about Illinois and Weber, though rationally speaking, BlownJay is probably right.

nocaljayhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

From wikipedia: Later years in Kansas Burroughs moved to Lawrence, Kansas, in 1981 and lived the remainder of his life there, at 1927 Learnard Avenue. He once told a Wichita Eagle reporter that he was content to live in Kansas, saying, “The thing I like about Kansas is that it’s not nearly as violent, and it’s a helluva lot cheaper. And I can get out in the country and fish and shoot and whatnot.”[42] In 1984 he signed a seven-book deal with Viking Press after he signed with literary agent Andrew Wylie. This deal included the publication rights to the 1953 unpublished novel Queer. With this money he purchased a small bungalow for $29,000.[43] He was finally inducted into the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters in 1983 after several attempts by Allen Ginsberg to get him accepted. He attended the induction ceremony in May 1983. Lawrence Ferlinghetti remarked the induction of Burroughs into the Academy proved Herbert Marcuse's point that capitalistic society had a great ability to incorporate its one-time outsiders.[44]

Burroughs became a counterculture figure and inspired 1970’s proto punk rock band Doctors of Madness and in the 1980s collaborated with performers ranging from Bill Laswell's Material and Laurie Anderson to Throbbing Gristle, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and Ministry, and in Gus Van Sant's 1989 film Drugstore Cowboy, playing a character based on a short story he published in Exterminator!, "the "Priest" they called him". In 1990, he released the spoken word album Dead City Radio, with musical back-up from producers Hal Willner and Nelson Lyon, and alternative rock band Sonic Youth. A collaboration with musicians Nick Cave and Tom Waits resulted in a collection of short prose, Smack My Crack, later released as a spoken word album in 1987. He also collaborated with Tom Waits and director Robert Wilson to create The Black Rider, a play which opened at the Thalia Theatre in Hamburg in 1990, to critical acclaim, and was later performed all over Europe and the U.S. In 1991, with Burroughs's sanction, director David Cronenberg took on the seemingly impossible task of adapting Naked Lunch into a full-length feature film. The film opened to critical acclaim.

In June 1991 Burroughs underwent triple bypass surgery.[45]

Burroughs's final filmed performance was in the music video for "Last Night on Earth" by Irish rock band U2, filmed in Kansas City, Missouri, directed by Richie Smyth and also featuring Sophie Dahl.[48]

[Burroughs died in Lawrence, at 6:50 p.m. on August 2, 1997 from complications of a heart attack he had suffered the previous day.[10] He was interred in the family plot in Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri,[49] with a marker bearing his full name and the epitaph "American Writer." The grave lies to the right of the white granite obelisk of William Seward Burroughs I (1857–1898).

Bruce Brock 8 years, 8 months ago

So did Burroughs ever teach a class at KU? Man, would that have been one wild educational experience.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

If not mentioned above, I would doubt it. But he might well have been invited to talk to some creative writing classes, or might have entertained a few students on occasion, though his rep for weirdness and guns might have scared off any formal invitations by profs in the politically correct era through which he lived in Lawrence. If I recall correctly, long a heroin addict, he reputedly shot and killed his wife in Mexico, or some where, while trying to shoot a cigarette out of her mouth in a display of shooting prowess gone awry. Let us say he was not into conventional notions of getting better. In his defense, he reputedly cleaned up later in life and lead a rather ascetic old age devoted to his pets and the writing of some ironically fairly conventional fiction, perhaps to make ends meet, though as a possible heir of the Burroughs Computer fortune, one has to wonder about his actual level of need. :-)

SaulGood 8 years, 8 months ago

This doesn't further the exposition of his career, but along these same lines, Burroughs introduced ayahuasca or yage to some of the other Beats after trips to South America (I believe). Ayahuasca is recognized as one of the most, if not the most, potent hallucinogens found naturally in the wild in the form of a bark-like substance. One of my professors at KU, one Bartholomew Dean, reported in his class that upon trying it, he lost all bowel control for a period of time and was subject to wild, dreamlike hallucinations.

SaulGood 8 years, 8 months ago

I mention this because it's funny to think that maybe that's why the 'Hawks are "loose" - they're having a little Lawrence hippie-style fun before the tournament :)

SCarolinaJHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

I saw Burroughs at KU in the late 70's. He did a reading for a small audience - maybe from Naked Lunch? He looked to be quite cleaned up and very professional - suit and tie, quiet and laid back. Not what I expected.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 8 months ago

i've listened to some of his audio books, and his voice is unforgettable.

ps. i'm not THAT lazy, I just used to spend 3-4 hours in a vehicle everyday for work.

UncleMiltyN 8 years, 8 months ago

Here's a good article. Anybody who has ever spent much time drinking in Lawrence has probably met Burroughs student Propst. What a character.

Todd Simpson 8 years, 8 months ago

hey guys need some help anyone else going to the BOK center I'm having a tough time googling the physical address so I can see where I'm going in Tulsa from Dallas, TX so I can cheer on the Jayhawks!!!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 8 months ago

Been out of the loop a bit .. in AZ for a part of spring break .. was only able to access a computer once, and that was for a short time. Kind of nice. Was not able to hit the bracket challenge. But was able to see the KU/Tex game live, have not watched the KU/CU game .. plan to do that.

I am much more optimistic about this tournament, than last season. This team will not lose before the Sweet 16 (as many of us were concerned about last season).

A potential match-up with Louisville is a clear threat in the 1 vs. 4 match-up. Richmond could spoil Louisville's chances, but Louisville is a dead-solid team. KU gets to the final four this season.

My final four .. Ohio St. Texas, Wisconsin, and KU. KU over OSU. Really going out on a limb. If you look at the season, many have said that there is no dominant team .. but OSU and KU have clearly been the two dominant teams. Not unlike the final four teams in 2008. As KU fans, we just are not as confident with the composition of this team.

I was able to read through some other threads ... some excellent posts all the way around.

Two teams that kind of caught my eye in the bracket .. lower seeds that could certainly get to the final four. After watching both teams play this season, it makes me wonder why they haven't done better ... Georgetown and Arizona.

Four things we need to win it all: 1. Marcus taking over when the situation calls for it; 2. TT playing his best ball of the season .. we just need him to play 80% of what he did vs. Texas. 3. Either Tyrel or Brady to be on from 3 point range each game, beginning with the Sweet 16. 4. A little luck .. specifically, to avoid a crazy hot shooter.

Someone said it many weeks back .. don't recall who .. but TT is really our most important piece at this point due to his inconsistency. Other guys are more consistent. If TT plays crazy bad, we're in deep trouble. If TT plays "Texas good", no one stops us. We need his arrow closer to Texas good, than to the other alternative.

X-Factor - Selby. Anything he can provide is a positive. Can you imagine if his play would have met the hype?

Finally, I do wish we had Releford as a seasoned option at this point. But that ship has passed.

RCJH!

jlvlawrence 8 years, 8 months ago

Wisconsin is a bold pick for the final four. they scored 33 points in a game last week.

tjg1 8 years, 8 months ago

"A potential match-up with Louisville is a clear threat in the 1 vs. 4 match-up."

IS IT??? ROCK CHALK!

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 8 months ago

Texas Tech close to hiring Billy Gillispie as coach.

I think that he'd do better at OU, and I want to see him be successful, but I wouldn't bet against him getting Texas Tech into the NCAA tourney in 2014.

At least he's not going to coach at Missouri!

Woody Cragg 8 years, 8 months ago

For all you KU diehards & Irishmen. Words of wisdom from The Monogahan/Clements/McKinney side of the Blarney Stone; "tis far, far beter to earp a burp & bear the shame than squelch a belch & die in pain!". Enjoy our holiday, parades, and hoops but have a DD or take a cab. I'm stayin home with a "handy nip of brandy in case I encounter a snake, which I also keep handy" (WC Fields).

RockCaCO3 8 years, 8 months ago

Found a flaw in CBS' "Boss Button" while watching some games; the button does not work while a commercial (for beer no less) is playing.

Sun spots, and now this. Geesh CBS. ;-)

Vittorio1224 8 years, 8 months ago

Louisville and Vandy go down in flames.

All the Jayhawks better bring their "A" games or we may end up the same.

Rock Chalk all the way to Houston!!