Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Northern Iowa articles from last season motivate Jayhawks

The lockers of Kansas University’s basketball players were decorated prior to Tuesday’s practice in Allen Fieldhouse.

Not with streamers, candy and well-wishes from the cheerleaders like in high school, but with some serious reading material.

“I wanted to take it out as soon as I saw it,” KU junior forward Markieff Morris said of a Sports Illustrated article, with pictures, chronicling KU’s 69-67 loss to Northern Iowa in a second-round 2010 NCAA Tournament game in Oklahoma City.

“I just closed my eyes and sat back and said, ‘Man I don’t want to see that.’ It was a bad feeling. It made me start talking about last year and how bad we felt after we lost and how I don’t want it to happen this year.

“I guess what it means is it can happen, don’t ever take a team for granted just because you don’t know who they are. You have to come out and execute every game,” Markieff added.

An unnamed KU assistant coach approached head coach Bill Self with the idea of sticking the articles in the lockers, perhaps as motivation leading up to Friday’s NCAA opener against Boston University (5:50 p.m., BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.).

“One of my coaches said, ‘Should we remind our guys?’ I said, ‘Yeah, remind them,’’’ Self said. “I’m sure they all read that.”

Self stressed the word “reminder” more than “motivator.”

“I talk about this all the time: What can happen if we get off just a little bit,” Self said. “This year’s tournament isn’t going to be one where people are heavily favored. (In) last year’s tournament — people won’t want to hear this — we would have beat Northern Iowa five out of six or whatever, but they were a good team. If they were in the Big 12, they would have had a chance to win a lot of games. They were a top 20 team we drew.

“Just because the name on the front of the jersey may say directional (school) or say whatever, it doesn’t have any indication of what’s underneath it because everyone has players now,” Self added.

Tuesday’s reading material likely affected some players more than others.

“I didn’t read it, honestly I took it down,” junior Marcus Morris said, noting his eyes first focused on a picture of “the guy (guard Ali Farokhmanesh) making the three he made last year and their team celebrating and me with my head down. To me, I don’t want to see it any more. I don’t want to feel that pain any more. I’ve been thinking about it since we lost so it’s not a reminder to me.”

Junior Tyshawn Taylor said he didn’t read the article but “looked at the pictures. It was actually Farokhmanesh shooting a three in Marcus’ face. I don’t know how that matchup ended up happening,” Taylor said with a smile.

“Basically it’s telling us we got our butts kicked, man,” Taylor added. “We can’t let it happen again. We don’t want to fail like that again. That’s not something you want to have in the locker room after the second round,” he added of tears. “We have to use it in motivation the next couple days and take care of business in Tulsa.”

Taylor said the reading material sparked a discussion with players before practice.

“We just finished talking about it,” he said. “Not a team meeting, but us saying, ‘Look man, this is what happened last year. We all know how we felt in the locker room in Oklahoma City last year and we definitely do not want to feel that way again.’

“I think it’s definitely motivation for us. I just don’t want us to come out there and fear that happening again. We’ve got to be loose, have fun and enjoy this time. We don’t get this time too many more times. We’ve been here last year in this position. We’ve got to embrace it and enjoy it. We won’t play scared or with fear of losing. We are going to have fun, play hard like we have been doing,” Taylor added.

Starting lineup: Self said Taylor would start at point guard against Boston U. Taylor, who opened the season as a starter only to move to the bench for six games, including a two-game suspension, started the second half of Saturday’s Big 12 semifinal victory over Colorado, then started Sunday’s game against Texas. He combined for 35 points and nine assists against six turnovers in the final two games of the Big 12s.

Schedule: The Jayhawks were expected to depart Allen Fieldhouse via bus for Tulsa about 3:15 p.m. today. That schedule, of course, could change depending on the length of a 12:30 p.m. practice, which is closed to the public ... The Jayhawks will hold an open practice for fans from 4:25 p.m. to 5:05 p.m., Thursday at BOK Center in Tulsa. Boston’s practice will also be open from 5:55 p.m. to 6:35 p.m.

Recruiting: DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., has received a scholarship offer from Duke, Rivals.com and ESPN reported Tuesday. Daniels has long been considering KU, Texas and Kentucky. Rivals says in his new list, he has added Colorado, Florida, Oregon, San Diego State and Tennessee.

Wyoming job: The Wyoming Tribune believes former Oregon coach Ernie Kent is on Wyoming’s list of candidates for its head coaching vacancy. Assistants mentioned as possibilities are KU’s Joe Dooley, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and Florida’s Larry Shyatt.

Tickets available: Single-session tickets for the second-and-third rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament at the BOK Center will be for sale at 10 a.m., today, the Tulsa World reported late Tuesday night. They will be sold at the venue’s box office, also online at tulsaworld.com/ncaatickets and by phone at 866-726-5287. All-session tickets for $237 are now available online, by phone and at the box office. They will continue to be available, even after single-session tickets go on sale.

Comments

100 8 years, 5 months ago

That was last year...

Did we "do our best" against UNI?

Not even close.

We're we fired up?

Did we shuffle in players to wear them down?

Did we have the twins dominate inside?

No. Why? Because Cole was too busy huffing up & down the court.

Own the stat sheet for 6 games Jayhawks!!!!!!!

All for one & one for all!!!!!!

Take no prisoners!!!!!!

100 8 years, 5 months ago

Not laying it at Cole's feet. We lost as a team for sure. Personally I didn't like the strategy. Cole was outmatched by UNI's bigman. Strange to say, but if we look in the mirror, I think we'd admit UNI's big man was the key.

Using the twins in that situation last year & resting Cole for a few minutes might have been interesting (well for one thing we pass the ball this year).

Offensively I think we all can admit we were stagnant. Cole is one of my favorite Jayhawks but we needed to run UNI into the ground.

I just think the pace could have been changed with the twins. Fantastic passers.

As for your analysis on Sherron, you're right there too. Too much of our offense last year was standing around waiting for him to bail us out. Sherron has a special place in Jayhawk lore, but that UNI game was a reminder of the importance of team play.

Do you really think Cole outplayed UNI's 7 footer?

I really thought that matchup changed everything. Nothing personal on Cole, I just thought, since their 7 footer never seemed to show any exhaustion against Cole (& to me Cole looked exhausted), we needed to cycle big guys to wear UNI's bigman down & finish those guys off.

SaulGood 8 years, 5 months ago

Agree...I think, however, that guard play, and specifically passing, was our key downfall. The Twins were the area in our game where UNI could not have possibly matched up, and we only made up the deficit when the Morrises started getting touches. We did not take advantage of the fact that they had one big and a few quick, scrappy guards. My hope for this dance is that we can punch holes in the forward play first with Twins, and use it to create perimeter shots as well as opportunities for a dedicated big like Thomas to spread the floor.

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Agree with most everything of what the above posters have said, which leads back to what really lost us the game. Coach Self would probably agree with me, that he has to accept the responsibility for the loss to UNI.

Please don't get me wrong. I support Self 100%, but for that game, he should have done what most have indicated above. So, don't point to any one Hawk as the culprit. They were only doing as their coach was having them do.

Of course, if Ali whats-his-name had missed that 3, who's to say what we may hae accomplished.

100 8 years, 5 months ago

Nice analysis Ralster. I responded in greater detail above regarding Cole. The initial eyeball test to me just made me feel like our gameplan was to beat them with Cole out there for forty minutes. You might be right that Cole vs. their bigman was a standstill. Maybe it's because we saw Cole dominate so much throughout his last couple years, I had a tough time seeing UNI with a thick 7 footer who could sprint.

If Cole couldn't get back on D, we had no one to guard him.

I take your analysis of the guard play as truth. I honestly felt like it was generally a bad team effort, simply in terms of energy & overall gameplan. But the hardest part was seeing a team who was so loaded, standing around hoping Sherron could bail us out.

I loved that team. But we didn't pass the ball & play with a fire like this team does.

I still feel like throwing the Morris twins in there with their Philadelphia attitude & interior passing could have really changed the energy level of that game. Heck leave Cole out there with them. If we werent going to successfuly drive (like Tyshawn did against UT) we then need to control the inside first in my opinion against an inferior opponent.

Controlling the inside & having an enthusiastic manner of play are two of the most sure fire ways to win 6.

Thanks for your insight Ralster. I guess we can all just agree no one (including our coaching staff) played very well against UNI!

I'm so glad Coach Self's staff put that newspaper clipping in their lockers....

Every team will play with the desperation of Colorado or OSU... We need to bring it & step up to the challenge & play with a passionate force equal to that of DV's forehead.

To win 6 it's all about D for this KU team in 2011.

To win 6 we must go through the twins & let the twins do their things inside.

And to win 6 we must run when it's open!

And pass it like a laser, like we've done all year.....

Rock Chalk Ralster....

Hank Cross 8 years, 5 months ago

It wasn't Cole's, Sherron's or even X's fault. It was Self's fault. If you have a team of thoroughbreds and the other team is are jumpshooters who have the conditioning of a 40 year old + rec league team, the very least you can do is force the ball down court after every possession. If nothing is available in transition, make them play D for 20+ seconds. Let's see that chubby little Ali F make some 3s on wobbly legs. Once they were winded those oafs would've be out of position for rebounds and/or prone to fouling with their hands because their tired legs.

This can be done w/o even using a press or pressure or whatever Self calls it.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 5 months ago

oxcal, you continue to be the most negative girl on these posts. I'm sure Self told his players "let's don't play our style of play today and give UNI a chance." The players didn't execute and like others have said, Collins tried to win the game by himself.

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

I love the attitude.

Tyshawn. Lock it down. Bust-up the lanes and keep truckin'.

Daniels. Your list pisses me off.

Dooley don't go. Not yet. Don't talk about it yet.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

good article, I do question the line that states that "most of last years team was content because they had experienced the national championship"

Collins, Aldrich, Reed, Morningstar, and Conner Teahan were all on the roster that year.

Based on the fact that Reed, Morningstar, and Teahan are all back this year, I read this line as saying that Collins and Aldrich were content having won a championship in '08. Or maybe Reed and Morningstar's contentment faded in the past year with the loss to UNI. But otherwise I agree with the article.

KUFool 8 years, 5 months ago

Wyoming can take a Shyatt if they like, but I'll be Dooley annoyed if they make another choice. (sorry, it's early)

FairgroveJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Love my Jayhawks! Hearing them read about the locker room after last year's loss is painful. I have high expectations and hopes for the tournament but recognize the outcome leaves the players with the greatest feelings of joy or dispair. I'm just here for the ride, and what a great ride it's been so far : )

Looking forward to a Boston beatdown!

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 5 months ago

Why are we having so much trouble landing recruits this year? Granted, the standards are pretty high, but it seems like all the recruits who were serious about KU only add to their list and commit somewhere else.

sportdan30 8 years, 5 months ago

Win the NCAA Championship and we won't have any problems with recruiting, not that we should have any issues anyways.

floridajayhawks 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe other coaches are telling them that the fall of the new Big 10 will happen during their time at KU, they see the depth at KU and think no playing time or KU is recruiting other players at their position. But this is KU so it shouldn't be that hard to land top recruits.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 5 months ago

Rockchalk: It's not that KU is having trouble getting in front of recruits.......it's all about "Playing Time" and at the moment playing time is definitely up in the air and uncertain for next year.

KU hasn't landed any big guys because it's not known what is going to happen with the Twins for the 2011-2012 season.

On the flip side, the same could be said about KU's guards. I know many thought or still think Selby is gone, but I don't see Taylor, EJ, or Selby leaving after this season. Who wants to play behind those guys? I know Bradley Beal and Josiah Turner didn't.

As for Daniels, I think he's doing a smart thing. I think if he could have afforded the cost and been able to pay his own way or for that matter, KU would have been able to give him some financial help, he would have been a Jayhawk at semester and currently on the KU team practicing.

In the end, I still think Daniels is a Jayhawk, but nothing wrong with having options. Nothing wrong in order to see if Marcus Morris bolts for the NBA. Nothing wront to wait and see what's going to happen with Jordan Hamilton and Texas. Plus, I would want to figure out if Barnes is going to have another collapse.

As for McLemore, I don't think anybody knows that situation. He left Oak Hill academy and now he's at a school in Texas trying to get his credits and schooling all to match up so he can graduate. It will be interesting to see if all that works out for him and he can indeed land at KU or Mizzou next year. I think there are some minor issues behind the scenes with McLemore.

In the end, with Reed, Morningstar, and Little leaving I still feel there were too many "Unknowns" with playing time for these top recruits to make a decision on "KU". Also, this year has been very abnormal in that a high percentage of Top 30 recruits all committed early which is unusual. I don't get why you would do that as a recruit.

I mean, Arkansas has the Top 5 recruiting class coming in next year with Phelphrey getting fired so it could be a possibility that all or some of those recruits leave. They have #18 PG BJ Young, #27 PG KY Madden, and 3 PF's that are ranked #90, #106, #147. I'm not saying that any of these recruits would wind up choosing KU, but as we know nobody is better at picking up recruits after a coaching change than Bill Self.

IMO, there is still to much going on wiith the season, roster spots, coaching changes, NBA, NBA draft to know for sure how recruiting will wind up. It sure will be interesting over the next 2 months though.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 5 months ago

That's actually not a bad point though about Arkansas. Self always seems to pull a rabbit out of the hat during the late period. As for Ralsters post below, I do want to clarify that I'm not in any way a Self-doubter! We are blessed to have him...I'm just not used to waiting this long for a recruiting coup of some sort.

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

+1 Playing time, that is what the recruits want answered. That, and the "What happened with Selby? question.

While we all want the twins to return, it looks more and more like they will both depart early, which would change next year's team dramatically, and thus our recruiting possibilities would be altered in the same fashion. Numerous coaching changes have alredy taken place, and more may yet occur. Problem is, few if any involve top recruits. So the coach change possiblities may play out over a two year period, and not be that advantageous in the short run.

If the Hawks win the NC, the twins are 99% gone, they'll be valued too highly to not be drafted. If we don't win, it will depend on how high Kieff will go. If Kieff isn't guaranteed in the first round, they'll both stay. Playing without Marcus might hurt Kieff's game. Marcus would stay to support his brother.

Any other early departures, including Selby, would be doubtful. No one else has exhibited enough to go in the first round, and second rounders are taking too much of a chance. Robinson needs seasoning and Tyshawn needs to demonstrate consistency.

Of course, if there is a NBA walkout, it will change the above scenarios to KU's advantage.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 5 months ago

When the twins officially declare for the NBA that will change

Ken Sedgwick 8 years, 5 months ago

I try to keep my posts positive, and not nit-pick. But what is the point of a reminder,if is not a motivator. I am sure as I can be, KUs opponents will be "reminded" of UNI & the killer Bs. I`ll bet Darnell Jackson told the boys " Let the nuts hang". Its not our job to feed the blind squirrel.

Jared Grillot 8 years, 5 months ago

I think the idea is (and the distinction is small, I'll admit) not "We don't want to feel the pain of losing again" (motivator), but rather, "We better not take a small, no-name team for granted again." (reminder).

The message, as I read it, is "This is to remind you of what happens when you think so highly of yourself that you disregard the team in front of you, just because they don't have a name like Kansas or Duke on the front of their jersey. Don't do it again."

Since they have shown on several occasions that this is a weakness, they need to get the message.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't agree more! After we won the National Championship we lost all five starters, but what happened the next year? KU was Big 12 regular season champs (yet again) and we made it to the Sweet 16. Last year we lost Sherron, Cole, and X (although, yes, X was a dud). What happened this year? We have the exact same record as last year entering the tournament (not to mention a repeat of being Big 12 regular season and conference tournament champs!). No matter what happens in this tournament, KU will be great again next season.

We KU fans like to find things to nit-pick, and I notice a lot of "fans" taking for granted the fact that Bill Self is the best coach in college bball (no other coach has more wins that Self since he came to KU). The guy won us a National Championship for crying out loud. Nothing against Roy (or any other past KU coaches), but if Self continues on this absolute tear he is on (he's won the Big 12 regular season championship 7 times in a row...7!!! I've heard critics mention Self along with the likes of Wooden at UCLA) he will end up being the best coach KU has ever had. And THAT's saying something. Who would you rather have coaching the team? Time to silence the doubters yet again, Coach Self.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely, Self is not only a great coach but also a great ambassador for the university. I took my daughter to a kids of legacies deal a couple years ago and Self was the surprise speaker. I don't personally know him, so I'm always careful to talk about people I really don't know, but he sure seems like an unbelievably genuine and just plain nice guy! Hiring Bill Self was genius!!!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 5 months ago

It sounds like KU has offered 6'10, 235lb big man Stan Simpson a schollie for next season. He formerly played for Illinois before transferring and going to the juco route.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 5 months ago

Joe Dooley is ready for a head coaching gig, but from a selfish perspective I wish he would remain on KU's staff simply because of his recruiting abilities. Dooley is one of the best.

Maybe if Dooley leaves that will open up a spot for Norm Roberts to come back to KU. Roberts was the man. I just don't see Kurtis Townsend being the top assistant nor do I see him being the front man in terms of recruiting.

HawkBBall 8 years, 5 months ago

Let us concentrate on two games at a time. First, its Boston U, then either UNLV or Illinois. Do what you do best. Remember: speed kills; defense wins championships. You are deep enough to run their legs off. You are tall and strong enough to claim the boards. Show the world that you are not the team that lost to UNI. You are the pride of Jayhawk Nation. Jayhawks organized this tournament, and Jayhawks will claim its title.

Funhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032010aaa.html OKLAHOMA CITY - In an NCAA tournament full of upsets, Northern Iowa pulled off the biggest one: The Panthers took down mighty Kansas. Playing with poise down the stretch and getting another big 3-pointer from Ali Farokhmanesh, Northern Iowa pulled off one of the biggest NCAA upsets in years by knocking No. 1 overall seed Kansas from the bracket with a program-defining 69-67 win on Saturday. Northern Iowa (30-4) won the tempo tug-of-war, grounding the high-flying Jayhawks with in-their-jersey defense, then withstood a furious rally to become the first team to beat a No. 1 seed in the second round since UAB and Alabama did it to Kentucky and Stanford in 2004. Kansas (33-3) fell behind early and never made one of its anticipated runs, bowing out of the tournament with another disappointing NCAA loss to a mid-major. Cole Aldrich had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Marcus Morris added 16 points. Farokhmanesh, who finished with 16 points, celebrated by jumping into a huddle of teammates to a chant of "U-N-I!" while Jayhawks Morris and redshirt senior Mario Little crumbled to the floor, tears streaming down their faces when they finally rose. Yes, this was monumental. Kansas, the storied program with the blue-blood pedigree, went down for the mid-major count like it did to Bradley in 2006 and Bucknell the year before. This game was like opposite poles of two magnets; One of the nation's highest-scoring teams against Northern Iowa's stuck-in-the-mud mentality. They had never played a No. 1-ranked team and no one from their conference had beaten one since 1962. UNI also seemed to be overmatched against KU's lineup of pros-in-waiting. When asked if any of their players could start for Kansas, Farokhmanesh and Adam Koch gave an uncomfortable laugh.

tis4tim 8 years, 5 months ago

And here I thought you were going to post something fun.

Sally Presson 8 years, 5 months ago

I'd give up any recruit to keep the twins!!! If a recruit can't see what it would be like to play with the twins and learn from them, then they should go elsewhere. they aren't team players in the first place. The twins paid their dues and learned their freshman year. Nowhere will a player get better experience and teaching than at KU. For goodness sake, look at our coaching staff!!!! It's called experience, not instant gratification!!! I'm sick to death of hearing about recruits not coming because of one of our players still being here, don't they know experience is a wonderful teacher. Of course these guys are premidonnas and think they know it all!!! We'll keep the twins anyday over a a big headed recruit. How blessed we are to have Angel. The impact on our team and what she does for these boys is wonderful. Rock Chalk!!!!

REHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I've full faith in Bill Self and staff to land the players who will be the best fits for future Jayhawk success. Perry Jones, are you enjoying intramural March action in the Baylor gymnasiums?

SDSurferFan 8 years, 5 months ago

SDSUs in the running for Daniels? The David competing with the Giants.

eway12 8 years, 5 months ago

Given the choice between 7 straight big 12 titles and 7 straight top 10 recruits...I'll take championships.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

This! Getting kids out of the Top 10 range helps the fact that they will stay 2-4 years, and during their upper classmen years be better than 90% of the freshmen coming in. This is what keeps us from consistently at a high level, because regardless of who leaves, we have their understudies prepared and ready to contribute. And because of this, the one-and-dones are expected to play in the system not become the center-piece.

Hank Cross 8 years, 5 months ago

In the OAD era there certainly is a strong argument for going after 11-40 as opposed to 1-10. Although Manning was the No. 1 recruit (and I think Pierce was in the top 10), those were different days. Parachuting in players for one year often causes problems for the player and destabilizes the team.

Kyle Cornish 8 years, 5 months ago

I just think recruits see our kids not excelling in the NBA lately and they want to go to schools that develop them to NBA talent.

HawkBBall 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't think so. Here is the current list:

Cole Aldrich C 2008-10 Oklahoma City Thunder 1st, 11th overall (2010) Darrell Arthur F 2007-08 Memphis Grizzlies 1st, 27th overall (2008) Mario Chalmers G 2006-08 Miami Heat 2nd, 34th overall (2008) Sherron Collins G 2007-10 Charlotte Bobcats
Nick Collison F 2000-03 Oklahoma City Thunder 1st, 12th overall (2003) Drew Gooden F 2000-02 Milwaukee Bucks 1st, 4th overall (2002) Xavier Henry G 2010 Memphis Grizzlies 1st, 12th overall (2010) Kirk Hinrich F 1999-2003 Washington Wizards 1st, 7th overall (2003) Darnell Jackson F 2005-08 Sacramento Kings 2nd, 52nd overall (2008) Paul Pierce F/G 1996-98 Boston Celtics 1st, 10th overall (1998) Brandon Rush F 2006-08 Indiana Pacers 1st, 13th overall (2008) Julian Wright F 2006-07 Toronto Raptors 1st, 13th overall (2007)

bad_dog 8 years, 5 months ago

I could be mistaken but I believe weagle's point was not just getting there, but excelling while in the league.

Nevertheless, if a recruit believes he needs to be "developed" to NBA level talent perhaps they would benefit by staying for more than 1-2 years rather than being drafted merely on "potential" and hoping the development necessary to excel occurs on the bench and in practice.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 5 months ago

Huh? Your theory is completely flawed (and has no basis...when have you ever heard a recruit say something like that? Lol). When recruits look at Kansas, they think, "I'll have an opportunity to play at one of the best programs in college basketball and I may even win a National Championship." Not too many other programs can offer that. The only real down side to coming to KU is that we have so many good players it can be difficult to get playing time.

Nowadays no player in college fully develops to NBA talent...they get drafted by the NBA far before that happens. Its not Bill Self's fault that Xavier Henry went pro two or three years too early and now has to spend two or three years in the NBA trying to fully develop. Look at Darrell Arthur; he left too early too. Now, after a couple years in the NBA, he's really becoming a legit NBA player.

Nobody does a better job preparing players for the NBA than Bill Self (along with Danny Manning and the rest of the staff). Kansas is one of the best (if not THE best) college bball programs in the country. Sounds like you're just complaining for the sake of it.

Paul Mitten 8 years, 5 months ago

I think if all you care about is NBA, you would play for Calipari. Bill Self is different. He's a greater coach, but you can't deny that Calipari is a better middleman for the NBA.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 5 months ago

I see your point. Calipari gets more "one-and-done" type players than Self does. Calipari's recruits are pretty much ready for the NBA when he gets them (John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Derrick Rose, etc.). If there wasn't the one year rule, these guys would just skip college. On the other hand, I think Bill Self & Co. do as good a job as anyone from a preparation standpoint, especially for guys who aren't going to be one-and-done.

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Thing is, that's all Poacher Cal is, a middle man. He doesn't worry about developing a player. He figures the recruit is already NBA ready and that he won't have to do anything to improve their game. (ie. How many turnovers did Wall average while at Kenstinky?)

Then there's the questions he has to answer from parents: Will my son get an education? Will he get his degree? How many of your players have ever graduated from college? How many have passed (legally taken) their college entrance exams?

I still wonder how Rose answers the question: How many games did you win at Memphis. Embarrassing to admit your record shows "zero, zilch, nada!!!".

Hey, coach. How many games have you had to forfeit during your career?

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 5 months ago

Why in the hell Daniels has now added SIX new schools to his slimmed down list is beyond crazy! Wow.

He's a must get for Self. The kid will bring a BRush dimension at the 3 spot. Sure hope he goes ahead and commits to KU.

Michael Luby 8 years, 5 months ago

I just dont want this season to end. I love KU basketball and I think the season should be just a bit longer, its too short!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 5 months ago

After reading this article, nothing like rubbing dog, uh--that brown stuff---in one's face. Motivation can be interesting---hopefully, with bad memories from OKC last year, this will get this team playing like they did against Texas last week. Rock Chalk!