Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Keith Langford to extend with BC Khimki for four years

Former Kansas University basketball player Keith Langford speaks at the Bill Self Basketball Camp in this 2008 file photo.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Keith Langford has agreed to a four-year extension on his contract with BC Khimky Moscow, a professional basketball team in Russia, according to www.worldbasket.com as well as eurobasket.com.

Langford, who joined the Russian team two summers ago and has been making more than $1 million a year, now will be making an average of $2.3 million a year, the website reports. Langford will become one of the highest paid players overseas.

His brother, Justin Wesley, is a red-shirt on this year's KU basketball team and will be eligible to play in games starting next season.

Comments

khekhen 8 years, 11 months ago

what a talent! there hasnt been a slasher like him not only at KU but in the entire college game. loved his 'swag on the court too, changin' shoes at halftime...classic!

way to stick with it Keith, best of luck from here on out!

Funhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Keith was one of my all-time favorites. Too bad his lingering injury prevented him from reaching his peak as a Jayhawk. There was talk after his sophomore season that he could be drafted, but he decided to come back. Then the injury happened. Keith is also a talented writer.

Mike Del Vecchio 8 years, 11 months ago

KSA?? Wow! Have you watched any KU basketball the last 25 years? Lanford not even in the top 10...Rock Chalk!

Kevin Studer 8 years, 11 months ago

According to these articles, this contract is excessive given the economic climate overseas. Hey, you have to do something to keep the kid living in Moscow!

slowplay 8 years, 11 months ago

What does that say about the NBA players, given our economic climate? LeBron's salary could support a small nation.

mae 8 years, 11 months ago

his dunks, every one of them beats tr. i can't believe how much he was screwed in the draft team.

he is one of my favorite players of all time with julian.

Kyle Rohde 8 years, 11 months ago

If you read Keith's Twitter timeline, (twitter.com/keith_langford), it doesn't sound like this report is completely accurate. Wonder what the real story is!

ccarp 8 years, 11 months ago

Langford may not be top 5 all time, but Kieth Freeze/Super Kieth was pretty clutch in March. Congrats on making it overseas. Man, times have changed! I remember when playing in europe was just keeping the dream alive. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I bet there is someone in the league making less. Keep it up special K!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

European league's have always been like this. Americans have just been uninformed on the process and the money that they do make over there.

FSUJHAWK 8 years, 11 months ago

One of my all-time favorites. I am glad things are working out for him. Don't be a stranger KL and good luck on your future endeavors .

RCJHGKU!!!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

LThis just goes to show that you can make some major money playing over in Europe. Now, before you jump on my case and say that Langford's contract isn't normal, you're probably right. However, knowing that you can only have 3 American players on any given European roster most make really good money in the mid to high 6 figures.

Even the worst players that sit at the end of the bench can make 6 figures in the Top leagues in Europe. IMO, I think Europe does a great thing by having different leagues and having to earn your way to the Top league. The bottom teams in the top league will move down to the next league and whomever wins the next tier league gets to jump up.

When people wrinkle their nose at Europe, it really is a good place to play ball considering most of your travel, living, and food expenses are covered. Considering Tax season is coming upon us all, let's not forget the Tax free benefit on their total contracts. Not a bad deal!

deepind 8 years, 11 months ago

The one Langford moment I'll always remember is.... When he hit the 3 pointer to win the game against Nebraska (at Nebraska). It was also the last time KU went undefeated in the Big12.

milehighhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

One of my favorite players I've seen in a Jayhawk uniform.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 8 years, 11 months ago

I'll always remember Langford hitting two clutch free throws to keep Illinois at bay in the 2002 Sweet 16.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 11 months ago

excellent news for Keith! i think he's one of those guys, that you can talk about who maximized his talent....and gave it his all for Kansas when he was here. and he's definitely taken advantage of the opportunities he has had....way to go Keith!

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 11 months ago

It is amazing to me, to think he makes that much overseas, and why Sherron Collins is staying around here trying to get a small contract in the states. It seems to me that Sherron could be making a ton overseas.

slowplay 8 years, 11 months ago

I think with Sherron, it was a matter of timing and opportunity(NBA). Most international leagues start in the late Summer and end about now. I wouldn't be suprised to him there next year as the market (and salaries) for US players has exploded. There are over 700 US players in Germany alone. 200+ in Spain. 200+ in France. Almost 300 in Mexico. I wonder how many are former KU players?

TJWhatley 8 years, 11 months ago

best of all time, post 1950:

1st team:

G Hinrich G Jo Jo White F Manning F Pierce C Wilt

2nd Team:

G Aaron Miles G Langford F Simien F Gooden C Lovellette

3rd Team

G Vaughn G Valentine F Raef F Collison C Wesley

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

That's a hell of a list but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on your 2nd Team. You have three guys from that 2001-2005 squad and while very good, there's no way three guys from that one team represent three guys on KU's second-best post-50's team. My own personal modifications...

Raef easily to 2nd Team ahead of Simien (or even Gooden). Raef was absolutely sick in college. I mean a man among boys (sadly in the NBA he became a boy among men but...).

Vaughn ahead of Miles. Both could pass, neither could shoot, but Vaughn was better at creating plays.

And I know this is part of a broader Langford article, but I'd say Langford doesn't make the top three teams. Sorry, Keith. So I'd move both 3rd Team guards to 2nd Team. Then I'd put Chalmers ahead of Langford and "possibly" either Collins or Walters ahead of Miles.

My two cents. It's amazing how guys love lists like this.

And serious props on the TJ Whatley username.

TJWhatley 8 years, 11 months ago

Most clutch all time: Sherron.

Least clutch all time: Sherron.

TJWhatley 8 years, 11 months ago

Worst free throw shooter to win a game: Moody.

Best free throw shooter to win a game: Mario Little.

Trey Hohman 8 years, 11 months ago

apparently Keith slimmed down since college & learned to play to point guard position. An in-shape, physically healthy K. Langford with left-handed point guard skills sounds almost impossible to guard. Maybe that's why last year he was rated as the #2 overall Euro-league NBA prospect.