Monday, March 14, 2011

Kansas notebook: Former Jayhawk Quintrell Thomas potential foe down line for KU

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media after the Jayhawks received a number one seed in the 2011 NCAA Tournament on March 13, 2011.

Self discusses Selection Sunday

Quintrell Thomas, who played sparingly for Kansas University during the 2008-09 season before transferring to UNLV, said Sunday he’d welcome a potential second-round NCAA Tournament game against the Jayhawks.

“I like it. That’s definitely a good chance to go against them. I’ve kind of wanted that since I've been here,” Thomas, a 6-foot-8, 245-pound sophomore from Newark, N.J., told lasvegassun.com.

Thomas, who has started 25 of 32 games for the Rebels, averages 6.6 points and 5.2 boards a game.

“That’s one thing we might have to explore a little bit because they play two true big men at a time. But I think we match up well with them,” Thomas said. “We have really athletic guards. They have really athletic guards, so we should match up well.”

Thomas — he indicated he “hasn’t talked to them (Jayhawks) recently, but before, I did” — said there are no hard feelings toward KU.

“I’ve long moved on,” Thomas said. “While I was there, I was a little upset, but once I was gone, everything was cool.”

Buffs overlooked

KU coach Bill Self believes Colorado should have made the field of 68.

“I’m shocked. I feel awful for Tad,” Self said of CU coach/KU grad Tad Boyle. “They have six wins against RPI top 50. We are the third-best league. They are 8-8 in the league and beat K-State three times and Texas. Those two teams have a chance to be Final Four teams. Somebody is gonna have a gripe every year. I’d say from my standpoint, and I am a little biased, Colorado has reason to gripe as much as anybody.”

Texas underrated?

Self said Texas deserved better than a No. 4 seed.

“I thought Texas would be a 2 seed after yesterday,” he said. KU beat Texas, 85-73, in Saturday’s Big 12 title game in Sprint Center.

“You are talking about a team most people three weeks ago thought was the best team in the country. Just because they lose games, which the law of averages caught up, teams do lose ... we played our tails off, and it’s an eight-point game late in the second half.”

Selection Sunday dinner

The Jayhawks dined on barbecue while watching the Selection Sunday show on CBS. There was little reaction when KU’s No. 1 seed was announced.

“We’re excited. Maybe we don’t show our emotions as much as other teams, but we’re glad to be where we are at,” Tyrel Reed said.

“Also, I don’t think we knew we were going to be on,” he said of the time CBS-TV cameras focused on the Jayhawks in their dining hall. “It was all delayed and stuff.”

Scouting

KU already has tape on its first-round foe, Boston U., as well as UNLV and Illinois. Self said assistant Danny Manning would have the scout on Boston, Joe Dooley on UNLV and Kurtis Townsend on Illinois.

“I’ll probably spend tomorrow watching the potential second round (foe). Come Tuesday, my focus will be Boston, on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. You have to focus on the big picture. You have to go win a a two-game tournament. I’d rather put all my focus on the immediate opponent two to three days prior to playing them.”

Comments

Ryan Lee 8 years, 5 months ago

Karma caught up to Colorado for having the shi**iest fans in the Big 12.

jacketkicker 8 years, 5 months ago

I will never forget when a CU student yelled "FU KU" during a moment of silence for TRob's mother before the game at their place. I don't care if he was drunk or what - I will never forget that.

KULA 8 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like they're looking for every possible storyline--Illinois against the coach that abandoned them or Quintrell against the coach that abandoned him. Who made this schedule, the selection committee or the suits at CBS?

Selbyville 8 years, 5 months ago

The suits at CBS are the selection committee

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

"BU Foreshadowing"

Oh, no, another B team. :-)

BU Coach Patrick Chambers = Jay Wright assistant at 'Nova.

Wright called him an associate head coach.

Chambers is a Philly baller who came up through Div. 2 ranks, before catching on with Wright at Nova.

Interesting team.

Hard-nosed defense and 12 TO per game protection coupled with heavy three-point shooting emphasis with only one really high percentage trey shooter--Griffin.

Partin, Griffin, and Holland launch treys at will.

Griffin .465 on 114 3FGAs. Partin .365 on 167 3FGAs. Holland .335 on 215 3FGAs.

Three guard, two big scheme.

Perimeter: Short PG with two "long and athletic" wings at 6'5" and 6'6".

Paint: a couple 6'7" 240 pounders.

Team most like One KU has played recently: Okie State. BU has a fire plug PG, long active wings and short wide bodies inside.

Potential problems posed:

--Short squirting PGs give Tyshawn and EJ some problems but over the course of a game two long and athletics trump one short fire plug.

--Long 2s and 3s stress Tyrel and Brady, but here again our depth can cover that.

KU's likely plan of attack:

Defense--deny them the three and you win. So: over guard the stripe, deny the 3 and funnel them inside, where our bigs can control them. Rebound and quick release for transition baskets. Stripping to create transiton baskets would be a huge plus, but something BU will priortize not giving up.

Offense--Pound it inside till we separate, then pound it in some more.

Most Important Strategic Decision Facing Self:

To use a lot of bench or not. It will have been 5 days since Texas win, which came on three straight days of hard play. Five days is an eternity this time of year, enough time for teams to lose their conference tourney rhythm. Self has to choose between using a lot of bench to keep people fresh for UNLV/Illini match-up, or to play the starters a lot to help them get back in rhythm for UNLV/Illini.

If KU separates, then he'll use the bench; that's easy.

But if KU does not separate, then he has a tough call to make. Use the bench to wear down BU, or play the starters mostly to let them grind one out and get back in synch after the lay off.

Self played grind it out with the starters and a short bench the first two games of the B12 Tourney, essentially in preparation for this scenario, then went with the starters and a short bench in the third game, too. Three games in three days. Starters and a short bench. Sounds like he will go starters and a short bench in a two game in three day scenario. It depends on how deep the Illini are. UNLV won't be deep enough to require starters and a long bench. The Illini might. I expect us to play the Illini, not UNLV.

Verdict: KU by 15-20 unless BU goes unconscious from trey, but as I said, BU seems enough like Okie State that it could be an Excedrin game for 30 minutes before getting to that final 10 minutes of separation.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

12 TO's/G - How does that work out pace adjusted, b/c I thought I heard they play more of a Big10 vs. a normal D1 pace.

Thanks for the analysis that appears to be missing from the journo's.

kufaninmo 8 years, 5 months ago

If by 'separation' u mean 'win by one point', then yeah I agree.

TXjaybird 8 years, 5 months ago

Nice post, Jaybate. Best info on BU i've seen.

100 8 years, 5 months ago

Nice job getting the tapes early....

One game at a time boys...

When we get to April 4th against Ohio State....

I want Danny Manning doing the scout....

Rock Chalk to all KU fans, staff, coaches & players!

David Leathers 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that with a whole week between the Final 4 game and the Championship game, all the coaches will do the scout. But, it won't be against Ohio St., man! I want Roy Revenge!!!

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

I look forward to seeing QT. I hope that UNLV comes out on top of Illinois. I always liked Quintrell, but also always kinda had a hunch that he was never gonna be a starter at KU. After we got Quintrell, we immediately picked up the Morris twins, and then a year later signed TRob (who is essentially just like QT, only if QT were on steroids and speed).

No hard feelings Quintrell, we wish you great success at UNLV, except for this Sunday.

omng392 8 years, 5 months ago

BU has a RPI of 129 and a SOS of 216.

They are slotted between OK and Iowa St. in the RPI. They were blown out by Kentucky (the only team remotely on their schedule that KU compares to from athlethic perspective), and Villinova. They've won there last 12 games but none of those teams have an RPI higher than 95 and most of those teams had a RPI in the 200 - 200 range. From a mere observation stand point, this team is probably Villinova lite.

Depending on how focused we come out and play and at what time we play during the day we could win by 20 or it could be by 8. Then its either UNLV or IL.

lpku34 8 years, 5 months ago

I like the fact that B.Self has prepared for the Runnin Rebels 3 times prior to this years possible meeting. I live about 30 minutes from Champaign and I would like nothing more than to destroy the Illini. Saying all that, the Illini are a bunch of underachievers this year. Great athletes but poor development of their players. Their PG Demetrius McCamey tested the draft a year ago but since then hasnt shown he is ready for the league. When he is in the game its almost as though their motion offense stops and everyone just stands and watches him. I believe their best player is their freshman Jereme Richmond, 6'7 who can play both inside and outside. They do have a 7 footer downlow in Tisdale but he is soft as baby poop and you will often see him out at the three point line.
But going back to the start...i would love to beat the Illini but knowing that our coaching staff has prepared for UNVL three times already makes me feel a whole lot comfortable with the Rebels. Obviously that is after we smoke BU.

superdave 8 years, 5 months ago

Random Thoughts: How is BYU still a 3 seed? And they could actually win a couple of games against the weak teams they face early. West Virgnina a 5? Has anyone seen them play? Why is Michigan State in AT ALL? 1st Round game I look forward to watching: Georgetown vs. USC. We have the best #2 seed, and the 2nd best #4 seed in our Regional. Louisville is the team to look out for. Make it TO them, past them then book your flights to Houston! Go Vandy!

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 5 months ago

Newspaper this morning says we play at 5:50 on Friday.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure that the boys enjoyed the brisket yesterday after slicing up the longhorns. I know that survival is not a word that our boys use, but looking ahead to the big tourney, the menu options are pretty slim... terrier? spider? cardinal? If it's not survivorman, then it sounds like man v. wild.

superdave 8 years, 5 months ago

good point plastic: terriers, commodores, rebels, illini, cardinals not exactly Good Eats

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

Someone yesterday said that Dan Beebe was had so little clout that he couldn't get CU into the tournament.

While I think Beebe is a fool, do you think Beebe purposefully argued for other teams since CU is leaving the Big 12? Possibly punishment for leaving?

yovoy 8 years, 5 months ago

Colorado deserved in. Michigan State must have made it in on name: now that I said that they'll over achieve "just because".

Tight d on the 3-pt line = blow-by w/ lots of drive-and-dish w/ plenty of FIY (finish-it-yourself) room. Sounds dangerous. You want high percentage shots, and excessive 'and-1' ops, as well as an increased likelihood of shooting lots of f/t? I'll take the "normal" defense we play. If we stuff the inside and force them to try to win it from outside, and lock down the boards it should be a walk.

No need to complicate it. I completely agree about getting easy baskets (leave the "strips" out of it - makes it too easy on the stripes to get overly involved). I'd say converting second chances ops as well as turning turnovers into points will keep BU in their place pretty well.

My biggest complaint about this time of year is that w/ the commercial format: all you have to do is hit some shots, rebound well, make f/t, and not turn it over for 3-4 min at a time and any team can play with any other. This is going to make scoring 3,4,5 points (or more) to the other team's 1 or 2 between commercial breaks and other stupid, moment-sappers is going to be important.