Sunday, March 13, 2011

Longhorns shrug off Markieff Morris’ banter

Kansas players Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris addressed the media after defeating Texas in the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game Saturday, March 12, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Videos

KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Texas in the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game Saturday, March 12, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

— Texas forward Gary Johnson didn’t have any problems with how Kansas University’s players handled themselves before and during the Jayhawks’ 85-73 victory Saturday.

Friday, before Texas’ game against Texas A&M;, KU forward Markieff Morris said a few words to the Texas players in the tunnel by the locker room. He told the Longhorns he wanted them to beat the Aggies so the Jayhawks could face them again.

Johnson was quoted in the Austin American-Statesman: “We exchanged a few words. Let’s say it will be more than a basketball game (Saturday).”

UT beat Texas A&M;, 70-58, on Friday to set up Saturday’s title game against KU.

“I think people took it the wrong way as far as there was going to be on the court … there was going to be us having fistfights and stuff,” Johnson said. “But, it was a lot of those guys having fun. That’s what they do, talk, talk trash and have fun.”

Johnson said the banter extended into Saturday’s game, especially from Markieff and his brother, Marcus.

“On the court, they were talking. Just trying to be funny with each other,” Johnson said.

“Just having fun, obviously something that I can learn as a basketball player. I think I take the game too seriously in my approach.”

Texas guard Jordan Hamilton also heard extra talk from KU’s players in the tunnel before Saturday’s game.

“They’ll say things, but we don’t really buy into that stuff, so we didn’t say anything back,” Hamilton said. “We knew those guys wanted to really play us tonight.”

After the game, UT forward Tristan Thompson made sure to find KU guard Tyshawn Taylor following his 20-point effort.

Thompson, from St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, N.J., played against Taylor in high school; Taylor went to St. Anthony High School in Jersey City, N.J.

“I told him, ‘Hey, you played good today, and you’re back,’” Thompson said. “‘You’re back to the player I knew you were.’”

Comments

100 8 years, 5 months ago

Great job twins!!!!!

You two, your toughness, beautiful play, tough nosed defense, excellent boxing out & your tricks are the key to us cutting down the nets April 4th....

Keep having fun & let's have one hell of an April parade parade in Lawrence!!!!!!

Rock Chalk Morris Brothers!

fansincewilt 8 years, 5 months ago

Taylor just took the Jayhawks to the next level. We may have to get to the next level to cut the nets down in Houston. I think they are ready. I don't think we have yet seen their best game.

Vittorio1224 8 years, 5 months ago

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Tyshawn is the KEY to us winning a National Title this year (and next!). Selby has proven he just hasn't got the moxie to compete at an elite level -- he's good, but it's more of a head game with him right now -- and if we want to "survive and advance" Tyshawn has got to bring that kind of A+ effort EVERY time he laces up those sneakers! Looking forward to seeing the Jayhawks down here in Texas VERY SOON! Rock Chalk!

jhox 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm concerned about Selby. The body language (from both Josh and Self) last night was not good. He's a great talent. The unfortunate thing for him is that KU has a lot of depth at guard so Self has not been forced to let him play through his mistakes. I honestly believe he just needs playing time to get comfortable with the game again. I wish we could have had one big blowout in this tournament, where Self could have let Josh play through some of his mistakes and get more comfortable. I'd love to have him playing well in the NCAA tourney.

On the up side, he did look more explosive last night on a couple of moves to the basket (even if those moves turned out badly.) I hope that means he's getting healthy again. I'd love to see him have a break out game early in the tournament. We could use longer stretches of his athleticism on the court. Let's hope we have a first round blow out, and that Coach Self uses that as an opportunity to get him more minutes, and help him get his confidence back. What we're seeing now is a far cry from the confident player who almost single handily pulled out the USC win for us.

8 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, I think he is just trying too hard at the moment, thinking that he has to go out and prove he's the man. Which at this point in the season with the other guys shining the way they are he doesn't have to do. He is fast he is talented, just has to learn that he doesn't have to prove it every time the ball is in his hands. Another year will see a different Josh.

Andrew Holmes 8 years, 5 months ago

KU is just not built for one and done players. With the depth and talent that we recruit year in and year out, a one and done player like Xavier last year and Selby this year messes with the chemistry of the team. Xavier was our first one and one player ever and our chemistry last year was not as good as it was in '08 when we won the ship or as good as teams under Roy and Self in previous years. I think Selby and the team will have better chemistry next year after Selby realizes that it is more about the team than individual stats.

Danny Hernandez 8 years, 5 months ago

Our team will be never ever be called "Soft" like Roy's teams were...I'm glad the twin's bring their bravado to the game...They don't back down and teams know they can't just push us around anymore unless they want to get smacked back.....the east coast kids definately have a swagger and toughness

Dan Pawlowski 8 years, 5 months ago

Ok, is the DUI themed insurance ad with the pick your age dots on the patrolman's pant's creepy or is it me?

Kevin Studer 8 years, 5 months ago

Selby will be fine. He is a freshman who battled personal issues, injury, and crazy expectations. Marcus made a huge leap between his freshman and sophomore years. Let the kid develop. He'll be back next year, and he will be a starter from day one (with BM and TR gone), and he will find himself. Just keep reminding yourselves: he is just as freshman. Let us show a little patience!

jhox 8 years, 5 months ago

I just hope he comes back next year. Clearly he and Self ar butting heads, you can see it in both of their body language I completely agree we need to be patient, and he'll be a different player next year. However, it's not the fans' patience I'm worried about, it Josh's patience that concerns me..

jjarmstrong 8 years, 5 months ago

Where's he going to go? Transferring would necessitate sitting out a year...not happening, and entering the draft isn't an option. No one would draft him in the first or second rounds. He has to come back.

amw8716 8 years, 5 months ago

Could any of us handle all the pressure and issue that 18 year old kid has gone though? Doubt it. He needs to work hard, get his confidence back and we will see a dominant player next year!