Originally published March 13, 2011 at 05:05p.m., updated March 14, 2011 at 12:25a.m.

KU men’s basketball team is No. 1 seed in Southwest regional, will play 16 seed Boston at 5:50 p.m. Friday

Kansas players from left, Mario Little, Travis Releford, Marcus Morris, Thomas Robinson, front, and Tyshawn Taylor laugh as they walk around the fieldhouse concourse following the NCAA tournament selection show on Sunday, March 13, 2011.

Videos

Self discusses Selection Sunday

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media after the Jayhawks received a number one seed in the 2011 NCAA Tournament on March 13, 2011.

Reader poll

What do you think of KU's draw in the Southwest region?

• Very easy 3% 137 votes
  • Moderately easy 19% 753 votes
  • Not easy or difficult 30% 1168 votes
  • Moderately difficult 39% 1510 votes
  • Very difficult 7% 289 votes

3857 total votes.

A savvy Kansas University staff member issued Bill Self a good-natured warning before the coach walked into a media interview room Sunday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Somebody said to me, ‘They are going to question you about the letter B.’ I said, ‘Why? What starts with the letter B?’ Then I realized I’ve been stung and hurt deeply twice by the letter B,” Self said with a big smile.

“Hopefully we’ll be better prepared for that (this time).”

Self’s Jayhawks on Sunday learned that, as the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament’s Southwest Regional, they’d been matched against Boston University in a first-round matchup at 5:50 p.m. Friday at BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.

Folks who follow KU are well aware that Self’s Jayhawks lost in the first round the last two times the Jayhawks faced a team whose name started with the letter B — Bucknell in 2005 and Bradley in 2006.

“I wasn’t here for either of those. Maybe Brady (Morningstar) was here, but he’s been here since forever,” KU senior guard Tyrel Reed said. “I don’t have any of those Bradley or Bucknell woes. I was still in high school.”

Actually, it was so long ago, even fifth-year senior Morningstar was not yet enrolled at KU when the Jayhawks went down in the first round.

“No,” Morningstar said, asked if he had any concerns. “My name starts with a B.”

That out of the way, Self said he thought Boston U. (21-13) was an unusually tough No. 16 seed and said the Southwest Regional, which has Notre Dame as a No. 2 seed, Purdue as No. 3 and Louisville as No. 4, was rugged.

“Weren’t you guys surprised Boston is a 16 seed?” Self asked a pair of media members after a 15-minute news conference. “When I did my bracket in my mind who the 16 seeds were going to be, I didn’t think Boston was going to be one of them.

“I was a little surprised to see their name come up,” added Self, who has never coached a game against Boston U.

“Of course, everybody sees it through their own skewed eyes, and coaches have a hard time being objective about certain things, (but) I think it’s a hard draw. Every coach out there probably thinks it’s a tough draw to get where you want to go. You’ve got to beat good teams to get where you want to go, period.”

There were few surprises on a Sunday in which KU earned the second overall No. 1 seed behind Ohio State.

Yet some wacky side stories emerged. A victory over Boston would push KU into a second-round game Sunday against either Illinois or UNLV.

Self, who has worked as head coach at Tulsa schools Oral Roberts and Tulsa, coached at Illinois for three years before replacing Roy Williams at KU.

One of UNLV’s players is former KU forward Quintrell Thomas.

“I think it’ll be a hard game if we advance regardless,” Self said. “It’s amazing. In ’08, UNLV was an 8-9 (seed), In ’10, UNLV is an 8-9, and in ’11, UNLV is 8-9, all in our region. Even though we haven’t played them but once (with KU winning in ’08), this will be the third time we’ve prepared for them.

“It is unique. The last three coaches that coached at Illinois — Lon (Kruger, UNLV) playing Illinois, then the winner of that game if we advance is playing the guy who used to coach at Illinois as well. It could be pretty interesting.”

As far as Thomas ... “The first thing I thought of when I saw UNLV on the screen was Quintrell,” Morningstar said. “I thought that was cool we might get to see him.”

Self has fond memories of the UNLV sophomore, who left KU after his freshman season.

“We like him, and the players stay in touch with him,” Self said. “I don’t know how much they talk to him, but he’s done well. I’d think he would like that a lot to get a chance to play his old school and old teammates. There’s absolutely no animosity with Quintrell at all. I thought he made a good decision for playing time moving forward.

“They’ve got a tough game Thursday. If we win, whoever we play ... UNLV it’s Elijah (Johnson, KU guard from Las Vegas) and Quintrell, or Illinois and the connections that exist there. There’d be some sentimental value for that game, I think.”

Of returning to Tulsa, Self said: “We had a lot of fun at Oral Roberts and Tulsa. People equate our success at the University of Tulsa as my stay in Tulsa. We spent four years at Oral Roberts and had great success there. We moved across town and are so fortunate it worked out at both places. I don’t think it’ll be a trip down memory lane, but it’ll be cool to play there.”

KU’s players on Feb. 27 spent four hours at the Tulsa airport. The team’s return flight from its game against Oklahoma in Norman couldn’t land in Topeka because of fog and was re-routed to Tulsa. The Jayhawks rented a couple of old buses for the drive back to Lawrence.

“We sat at the airport. We breathed some of that good Tulsa air already,” Reed joked.

“I imagine our accomodations and the bus we use will probably be higher-quality going south to Tulsa this time,” Self cracked.

Here are all the teams in the Southwest regional:

1. Kansas
  11. USC/VCU
  12. Richmond
  13. Morehead State
  14. St. Peter
  15. Akron
  16. Boston

Comments

KUKRU 3 years, 1 month ago

Bring it on! Not one team in this list scares me. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

kureader 3 years, 1 month ago

Early oddsmakers pick KU by 22.5 over BU K-Straight only favored by 2

ku_tailg8 3 years, 1 month ago

Its up to our very verbal guys now. This is what they wanted so they better back up the talk. Personally, I'm going to choose someone else to win it all, that way when KU flames out early at least I still have a chip on the table. I don't trust this team as far as I can throw them. They attack some nights and then sit and settle for 3's on other nights. They are at their best when they push the ball. N. Iowa last year was a problem b/c we played into their hands. We need to dictate how we want to play. If we lose, I'm going to be so mad b/c we have this wrap now of being the school that loses early. I'm tired of that. Change things and how we do business!

ku_tailg8 3 years, 1 month ago

I watched that ridiculous Fab 5 special last night and although I thought they were crying l did understand where they were coming from. Its too bad we have Adidas as our sponsor. Why don't we have Nike? Come on. They are the cream of the crop. I wear Adidas running shoes but would never buy basketballl shoes because they look ridiculous. Watching the Fab 5 special made me realize that you need Nike in order to get top recruits. I don't know when our contract is up with Adidas but we need to shift towards Nike.

MGJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Bilas has picked the Final Four in the past few years and usually is spot on with predictions. He has us in the Final Four against Duke. He won't come out and say who he thinks will win in fear of his alma mater not giving him press/talking points.

Dickie V should never come back to Lawrence again...

RacerHawkA11 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow!! Stupid!!! We are so gonna be good and win! I have faith in the JayHawks! I truly believe they will do it. For us, for them, and to show of to Dickie V! :) We are so goin to the Elite and we are so gonna win! I love them JayHawks! They better not let me down, just like last year!

Rock Chalk Champions!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 1 month ago

Looks like Kansas ST. will be the one to make hay and KU will choke.

ParisHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Just watched SI.com and ESPN: lots of love from most of the pundits, then Dickie V doesn't have us in the Elite 8!

He should just take the Vth from now on.....

bad_dog 3 years, 1 month ago

pwnage =:

p erson w ho n ever a ctually g raduated e lementary school

Pwnage 3 years, 1 month ago

Would be cool if - after the game - they change their name to the 'Boston Stranglers' after KU chokes.

MGJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

My take on KU's success in The Tourney...

1) As I've said all year, we go as TT goes. He is the catalyst for so many things offensively for KU. If he is not playing well, our chances are not good. 2) Tyrel and Brady have to be a factor offensively. Teams will double down on The Twins and our outside shots have to fall (at least 40%) 3) Twins have to stay out of foul trouble 4) Coach Self has to go zone if we need to. It worked against CU. It has worked in the past with teams that are shooting well 5) T Rob has to give us good minutes 6) Selby/Releford can spark the game from the bench through defense and good passing 7) KU fans have to get down to Tulsa and hopefully San Antonio! 8) Our bracket is tough but not as bad as last year. Notre Dame and Loiusville are beatable. ND is like a K-State. Loiusville is like a poor man's Texas. We've beaten both handily. 9) Withey might get some time if the Twins get in foul trouble. He HAS to be ready. 10) I am nervous but have a good feeling coming out of the Big 12 Tourney that it could be a special end of year for the Hawks!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 1 month ago

Colorado got the shaft. Its too bad that we didn't get in, they deserved it. Glad Kansas St. is in. Don't look for KU to go far, they might make the final 4 but, look for Kansas ST. to beat KU in the final 4. Too much Brady. Wouldn't it be nice to have Harrison Barnes rather than Brady. Brady is a drag and will cost KU down the line.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Kansas over Notre Dame Pitt over Michigan State (for some inexclipable reason, Izzo always makes it) Ohio State over Syracuse Uconn over Texas

Kanas over Ohio State FTW!

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I just want you all to know that I am currently in first place for the 42 inch Plasma TV in the bracket challenge. I plan on being there right up until the first play-in game is concluded tomorrow.

TRUEBLUEKU 3 years, 1 month ago

keith horinek 3 years, 1 month ago

After we give BU a beatdown, does anybody know what time the sunday game will be?

phog 3 years, 1 month ago

waaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaa, they lost because they CHOKED !

phogphan2000 3 years, 1 month ago

I just hope we don't end up with the same setup as last year where we actually had to play after the 8-9 game As if we didn't know little enough about UNI and they didn't already know enough about KU, they got to watch us play our first round game and knowing we would their staff only had to get material ready for one team heading into Meanwhile KU gets a late start, has both an 8 and a 9 to get ready for and none of the players had probably ever seen UNI play before the bracket came out So hopefully this time around it is set up the same way it is in conference tourneys and KU as the higher seed gets the first game with BU before the UNLV-Illinois game Obviously we'll have a better jump than last year on either of those teams as we know UNLV to some extent and I'm sure Self has a good feel for Weber

Ferd Magellan 3 years, 1 month ago

This has nothing to do with the NCAA Tournament, but has anyone here seen those black/blue adidas jackets the players are wearing for sale anywhere online or in Lawrence? I'd love to buy a couple of those.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 1 month ago

How do the obvious top 2 teams overall get the best 2 seeds? So much for the S Curve. I like our bracket, but would have loved to have seen Florida or SDSU as our 2.

I'm having trouble deciding to have KSU make the final 4 or lose in the first round.

The NCAA should just let Joe Lenardi pick the brackets... he obviously knows a helluva lot more than them. I feel terrible for Tad, Burks, and Higgins.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

conspiracy alert conspiracy alert conspitacy alert

the ncaa obviously wants to blow this tourney up and add additional teams, anyone remember all that 96 talk? so why not screw a couple of somewhat deserving teams from major conferences in hopes of gaining public supports for an expanded tournament?

ok, got to go. my house is being circled by black helicopters

rockchalkinit 3 years, 1 month ago

bring the title back to where it belongs! lets go hawks! rcjh...

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

I think the Jayhawks need to celebrate the meeting with Boston University with a pre-game tea party!

A little "history" joke for anyone that didn't get that.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Just got home from a great weekend in KC for the big 12 tournament.

Observations:

1) Dave Armstrong is a complete........(Insert word of your choice here). I pretty much wanted to pop him right in the jaw at McFaddens. I think my 6'5 frame vs his 6'7 older obnoxious shoving ability would have been a good show. Would have been kind of funny if he didn't make his telecast for the K-State/Colorado game on Thursday.

2) Walt Wesley is about as classy as guy you'll ever meet. Had a nice conversation with him as we were both walking to the game from the cab line a couple of blocks away from the sprint center.

3) I spent about an hour and a half with Khris Middleton's parents at the airport bar in MCI watching the Selection show. We were both on the same flight to Charlotte as they live in Charleston, SC. Great People! They love Turgeon!

They really wanted to be in the Charlotte site for A&M's games, but were not thrilled about having to play in Chicago as they most likely weren't going to be able to see their son play. However, our flight got overbooked and the flight attendants went on the intercom and asked for two people if they would give up their seats for a free nights hotel and $500 voucher per person. Let's say the Middelton's beat me to the punch and now they are going to be able to go up to Chicago to see their son play. Pretty cool timing for all that to happen. He gave me a high 5 as they were exiting the plane.

4) I love KU's Bracket

5) Not sure how Florida gets a 2 seed? Not sure how UNC gets a 2 seed? Not sure how Texas gets a 4 seed? Not sure how V. Tech, Colorado, and Alabama got shafted? Not sure how UAB, VCU, and Georgia made the tourny?

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 1 month ago

The KU-BU game is on TBS. I don't have cable, so how can I watch games on TBS online for free? (And any games seen on TNT or truTV?)

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Just wondering, did anyone that complained to CBS after the MU game get a reply? I mean beside the automatic one. I know I didn't. Anyway USC makes it in but CU doesn't????? They beat KSU three times and Texas and made it to the BigXII semi final game. That's just wrong.

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

The absurd homerism on this thread is pegging red. I wonder how many people who recently branded CU as traitors b/c they were smart enough to escape serfdom on Bevo's ranch, are now bemoaning the fate of the Buffs.

The "Big Least"? Seriously? During that league's existence five different schools have won the NC, with UConn winning twice. During that same time frame only KU has won the NC among the B8,SWC, and B12 schools. KU is the only thing that separates B12 BB from Mountain West BB.

3 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only person who watches the replay of the '08 National Championship game to get psyched for the tournament? (Not that I need anything to get excited)

Dan Harris 3 years, 1 month ago

KU over GTown Pitt over BYU OSU over UNC Duke over UCONN

KU over Pitt OSU over Duke

KU over OSU for #6 RCJH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Hrabak 3 years, 1 month ago

As much as COlorado was disrespected someone needs to say it...the Big 12 as a whole was disrespected!

Texas a 4 not a 3, Kansas another tough road Only 5 teams in Missouri a 11

are you kidding me this committee obviously thought that the Big 12 was not any good. But they are dead wrong in every poll and statistical analysis we are at worse third in the country as a conference.

and on top of all that somehow the SEC loser in the game against UK gets a 2 seed. SO you win a lack luster conference and get a 2 seed. Ohio St athletic director and his commitee were just bad....VCU and UAB were only the start of this terrbile seeding....good news the tournament is idiot proof and will still give us good basketball even with all of the lunacy.

Laura Hrabak 3 years, 1 month ago

Texas a 4 not a 3, Kansas another tough road Only 5 teams in Missouri a 11

lovemyhawks 3 years, 1 month ago

ok, i'm okay with the bracket EXCEPT for ku getting ND as their #2 seed...... ND belonged with either Duke or Pitt since they were predicted as a possible #1. and pitt gets #2 FLORIDA???? that's crazy and yes, i feel TERRIBLE for colorado..... just doesn't seem fair at all.... they deserved to be in. wow. as long as we play like we did last night, it won't matter WHO we are playing but we NEED TO BE THAT TEAM for 40 minutes, 6 more times!!!!! they were awesome and hopefully know what it felt like so they can keep it going. yes, boston is a "B" team but i'm not worried in a 1-16 matchup!! LOL. anyway, let's go hawks..... we can do it..... YES YOU CAN!!!! let's go out and prove it, especially to dick vitale!!! RCJH!!

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 1 month ago

I have UNC, Kansas, Connecticut, and BYU in the Final Four.

I also have Kansas State advancing to the Elite 8 over Pittsburgh then losing to BYU in the Regional finals.

I have Duke beating Texas in the Regional semifinals and Connecticut over Missouri in the 2nd round.

Outside of the conference I have Villanova upsetting Ohio State in the 2nd round then a UNC/Kentucky Regional final.

My regional finals:

UNC over Kentucky Connecticut over Duke Kansas over Notre Dame BYU over Kansas State

Dan Harris 3 years, 1 month ago

I'll be the first to say it, Colorado got Screweeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh , wait a minute ,I'm too late!

JHawk74 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't feel sorry for Colorado. They were solid this year but they didn't beat any good teams in their non-conference schedule. I don't think Big East should of gotten 11 teams either. We will see how many Big East teams make it to the Sweet 16 and we then will know if they deserved that many teams or not. Who is Boston U? I guess we will find out this week. I like our draw this year, I would have rather got SDSU as our two seed but ND is better than Florida or North Carolina. Not sure ND can beat Purdue anyway. KSU has a chance to make it to the Sweet 16 this year. Utah State and Wiscousin are decent games for KSU to win. Texas shouldn't have any problems making it to the Sweet 16 also. Memphis and Arizona are games they can win. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

Jared Grillot 3 years, 1 month ago

Anyone feel that Duke is getting a tiny little bit of payback for their cakewalk last year? SDSU, UConn, TX, AZ feels a little stacked. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

KansasComet 3 years, 1 month ago

Don't have time to worry about others. Let's take care of what's out in front of us. One Jayhawk win at a time!

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

Best thing I've heard all evening: ONE game at a time. We should learn our lesson from last year. All I care about is Boston Terrier U right now. Let's get this.... for T. Rob's momma!! :)

100 3 years, 1 month ago

Utah State: 15 RPI.... Seeded # 12

Talk about disrespect....

Game is in Tucson. Six seniors on Utah State. Head coach of Utah State has been to the tournament 8 times. This will be an interesting first round game.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 1 month ago

1 - Feel sorry for Tad because CU got screwed. 2 - Tough noogies, CU, you traitorous bunch of second rate money grabbers. 3 - K-State got screwed. Utah State in the first round - seriously?

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow, so much 'superstition' about the B-named teams? Sounds as finicky-superstitious as a field-goal kicker! UNI has no B, and none of these players were involved with Bradley/Bucknell bummers. Who cares about that stuff? Like it is any sort of predictor! More likely, the devil is in the details of our own execution, offensively and defensively. Shots gotta fall, too. Hopefully start off all games with high energy, and go to high% looks, thus creating an early lead, thus no 'sphincter-tightening' to cause missed shots later. But bottom line (as we should have done vs UNI): Got. To. Play. Defense. There will be a 'Davidson' game where our offense is not working well. O is up/down, even for MJ himself...D is (supposed to be) more consistent...

KU_Mitch 3 years, 1 month ago

Excuse me but I need to know where that prom is at............. Thanks

phog 3 years, 1 month ago

Dickie V has ku losing to Pitt........................

Pwnage 3 years, 1 month ago

Can't wait to see the Kan$a$ Yankee$ watching the championship game from Lawrence.

Better...I can't wait to hear the crying of KU fans when they lose because it's sweet music.

Go Scamsus University!

Kenny Nall 3 years, 1 month ago

I think the East and West are equally tough, followed by our region and Pitt made out like a bandit!

Ben Kane 3 years, 1 month ago

more disrespect from V... big surprise.

Mike Johns 3 years, 1 month ago

do we know what time friday the game will be?

Jack Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

Haven't had time to read all the comments .. but I predicted all along that Duke would be in the same bracket with either BYU or SDSU, either as a 1 - 2, or 2 - 1. Just pointing out one of my few correct predictions this season.

milehighhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Two things.

1. We have a soft bracket compared to most.
  2. I think CU didn't get in because the Big 12 seemed to be downgraded as a conference: Texas a 4, A&M a 7, Mizzou an 11, etc.

Ben Kane 3 years, 1 month ago

sure nice of them to spend less than one minute talking about ku's bracket and none of it on kansas....grrr..

f-ing espn (and all national media0

RCJH let's show 'em!

AsadZ 3 years, 1 month ago

I feel really sorry for Boyle and Colorado kids. They deserved to be in the field. This has got to be the biggest NCAA selection blunder in the recent history. How can VCU, UAB get in but not Colorado?

hail2olku 3 years, 1 month ago

Looking ahead a bit, we could see "Q" in the second round. Interesting.

sportjunky 3 years, 1 month ago

What's the breakdown by conference? Five Big XII teams I see, but how about all of the other conferences?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

After the committee adjourned they could be heard cheering f u c u clap-clap clap-clap-clap.

Once this talk calms down and people look at their brackets they will try to figure out the Kentucky and Florida seeds. Wow!

jhawk4life1976 3 years, 1 month ago

I know it's a long-shot but I noticed that Misery has a potential 2nd round match-up with Bucknell. Wouldn't that be ironic? :o)

dynamitehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

1 Colorado disrespected the Big XII.

2 Colorado was disrespected by the NCAA.

Not sure what happened but from personal experience, when I act like and @sshole, usually others treat me like an @sshole.

For example, when I wine and dine my wife in Italy, and slap a few carats on her in Genoa, my wife doesn't yell at me when I spend ridiculous amounts of time giggling at board rats' brilliance on kusports.com. However, if I forget our anniversary, and proceed to kusports.com, then my wife kicks me in the junk, and says in a deep, throaty North Carolinian draw, "Michael Jordan forgot more about basketball than Danny Manning knows."

Sorry for Tad getting screwed, but not surprised. Recall the press conference regarding looking westward. Remember the harsh reality of realignment.

P.S. In the above scenario, I would certainly reply with, "I could give a $hit less about Carolina right now."

K10K7 3 years, 1 month ago

Any guesses as to the start time on Friday? Or when it will be announced?

haydenhawkco 3 years, 1 month ago

Just beat BU. 1 game at a time.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Erratum: Its BU, not BoCol. Hold east coast eye balls in the Get Kansas region.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Why don't they rename the Southwest Regional the "Get Kansas If We Can Regional"?

Kansas--excellent team Notre Dame--super butchers, drive blockers in shorts. Purdue--a tough team. Louisville--better than Duke Vanderbilt--don't know them. Georgetown--in the southwest solely to hold eyeballs. Texas A&M--in the southwest to make sure they don't get far because they can't draw eye balls. UNLV--afraid Unibrow would knock out the Pac Ten market draws. Illinois--get Kansas. Florida State--get Kansas with one of Self's friends. USC/VCU--no one wants to watch them in their home regions so dump them in the Get Kansas Region that no one will be watching anyway. Richmond--ditto Morehead State--ditto St. Peter--ditto Akron--ditto Boston--assuming this means BoCol, so if correct, Donohue gave Self fits when Dononhue was at Cornell, maybe he can upset them at BoCol.

Tournament seeding is a joke and everyone knows it its. Three regions are set up to hold the most eyes in the Golden Crescent from Chicago, to Boston, Florida, across to LA and up to San Francisco. Everything inside the crescent gets dumped in the Get Kansas region. Every team in the Golden Crescent that no one cares about it the Golden Crescent gets banished to the Get Kansas region. There endeth the seeding lesson.

Krohnutz 3 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate nobody wants to read that crap.

The brackets come out and you want to talk about football media people on a college basketball thread in March.

Get your own blog, stop hijacking this website.

kennethst 3 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate....I get the impression that you don't like Kirk Herbstreit....but I'm not sure....it wasn't quite clear. (sarcasm)

I have never been too impressed with him.....he seems to not only love OSU....but himself as well.

And Nashville? Nothing against Nashville.....but I could think of other cities a bit more well known for sports media markets

Anyway.....tell us your thoughts on our first match up vs. Boston Univ.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

Always amused at teams losing 13-14 games and whining about being left out. Colorado, I know who they beat, but they lost 13 games. Their non-conf SOS was 323 if I remember that correctly. Maybe they should have won a few more games, then they're not crying. Should be easier next year for them in the pac12 to win a few more and lose a few less.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

Bilas with the quote of the day thus far re: Bracketology!

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

You guys are part of the bulwark of this constitutional republic, even you pixel burned wretches in sports broadcasting. This is all an expectations game. If you let yourselves act like media whores, and openly and repeatedly service the Power Johns for big bones, the public is going to become conditioned to expect that you are whores, and to expect you to act like whores, and eventually to service them like whores.

It is this last part that seems to surprise and appall professional media persons; that the public will come to expect them to service the public, too!

Don't you get it, guys and gals? When things went interconnective, you are no longer just slidlng down the slippery slope of servicing the Power Johns. Now you are sliding down the even more slippery slope of servicing the John Doe Johns. And in the connected era, where clicks are king its the John Doe Johns that are eventually going to generate the biggest clicks from being serviced while completely bent over.

Save yourselves. I love every pixel burned one of you guys and gals. I actually love a lot of the ESPN guys, though, I have to qualify a bit and say not the ones that appear to be unapologetically playing to the gaming industry agenda and helping set up false expectations about teams so the betters can be fleeced. I love Erin Andrews and Holly, too. I love Tom, Gary, Jesse and Matt, and Eric here at KUSports.com.

Let this Kirk Herbstreit black comedy be a warning to you and to all of us.

You are best off striving toward objectivity, even though it can never be perfectly realized, because it does not set up in us, the readers, the expectation of you folks acting like whores in our behalves.

Our part of the social contract in communication is: we must encourage your objectivity, even as we disagree with it, because if we do not wish to be consigned to having our opinions engineered by a bunch of hack pixel prostitutes, we must constantly advocate not only for our own right to express ourselves freely, but of the rights of professional journalists to express themselves freely.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Second, Kirk, you apparently disingenuous media whore, you appear to be moving to Nashville, because it is a bigger media market that will amp your earnings. And it is probably waaaaay easier to connect in and out of Nashville to travel for broadcasting assignments. And does ESPN have a relationship with some affiliate in Nashville?

Third, what I really love about the story at the link below on Kirk is the professional media writer's clear sympathy for Kirk. The story is written as if professional media writer is surprised that the internet has finally allowed a critical mass of unprocessed viewer opinion to accrue to the following point of view: Kirk sucks, because he is a whore and why if he whores for ESPN, why doesn't he whore just as much for us Suckeye fans.

Professional media persons have to begin to understand that the American public, or large percentages of it, are now fully aware of how much disingenuous, biased opinion engineering comes out the pipe posing as "news." Perhaps they always were and it just took the internet to create the forum where disaggregated awareness could be shared and contribute to altering measurable public opinion and reaction.

Kirk apparently built his career on homerism and now he is surprised that locals demand he be even more of a homer?

News professionals that too often hew to disingenous, biased opinion engineering for the good of corporate, and the good of access, and the good of eyeball attraction, are now surprised that the Columbus public wants them and Kirk to act as even bigger whores than corporate requires them usually to do?

C'mon media professionals. Wake up!

Homerism and lack of objectivity are slippery slopes converging toward each other and down into the journalistic abyss, even if they do make the long slide downward incredibly profitable.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

"Poor Kirk Herbstreit--Falling Victim to His Own Homerism?"

(Warning: this is about an Ohio State Suckeye football homer, not about KU basketball. But it is somehow emblematic of the problems of the professional media and so I call it to the attentions of board rats that may be interested.)

You have to be bitterly amused by this story at the following link.

Homerism, for the uninitiated is defined in the jaybate unabridged dictionary as:

Homerism n., an ideology of blatant, unobjective advocacy of the home team contrary to the facts in anticipation of making more money and gaining more career advancement and access, for acting in this way.

Kirk Herbstreit, a broadcaster who is reputedly (and to some extent by his own admission) an unapologetic homer for Suckeye football, decides to move from Columbus, where he does a local show, when he is not homering on ESPN nationally, to Nashville--a bigger media market--supposedly to get away from all the heckling of locals who dislike his efforts at being "a little objective" about OSU.

First, Kirk, if you had acted professionally as an objective national broadcaster, instead of as an unapologetic homer, you wouldn't have created the near fascistic homerism expectations in your local Columbus market. Put another way, if you act like a whore for ESPN nationally, why shouldn't fans expect you to act like a whore for them locally. Fans don't care about media market sizes the way ESPN does. They just care about the Suckeyes.

Tom Keegan is right to stick a sharp stick in our eyes occasionally, regardless of his motivations. If all he does is bend over to our prejudices for our home team, then we are relentlessly going to expect more favoritism from him. No professional journalist can be completely independent and survive the career ending firings by corporate. At the same time, no professional journalist can be an endless homer and avoid being sucked over the event horizon and down the black hole of expectations of being a media whore.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

What's beyond comprehension is that not only did Colorado beat K-State 3x, but they ALSO beat Texas AND Misery! I like Tad Boyle -- great job coaching in his first year, and a faithful Jayhawk guy. What a travesty. The Committee needs to be BLOWN UP! It's not often that I agree with Dickie V. but really.... it's time to get an NCAA Tournament czar!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

I have seen Illinois play twice and KU can beat them. K-State played UNLV out in Vegas earlier in the season and saw that game on TV. KU can punch it down low and we'll be fine.

Just hope Obama picks Ohio State this year so I know we'll win it if he does.

MrPilot 3 years, 1 month ago

Did someone say that Dan Bebee was on the committee this year?

Conspiracy Hat On

Maybe he torpedoed their bid as a final "up yours" to them for leaving the conference?

Conspiracy Hat Off

Just wonderin'.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 1 month ago

UNLV- I've watched this team 4xs this year. They can't shoot and when a team can D it up, they really can't shoot. KU hammers this team.

Illinois- Not impressed with b10, save Ohio State. They were good early, avg late. They did have a run before the beg of the year of defeating- UNC, Zags, Oakland, NCor. Those are good wins. Late they faltered.

Weird for Self going against Ill.

mom_of_three 3 years, 1 month ago

espn compared the four teams, colorado, uab, vt and bcu, and colorado BY FAR had the better record.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

We have so many paranoid everybody is against us fans. Why would CBS make a corporate decision to oppose KU? Why would ESPN? Why would ....etc. etc.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

Just curious... Wasn't the new format to allow each of the #1 seeds to play the winner of one of the play-in games??? Help me out, please.

RockChalk26 3 years, 1 month ago

Great, an opening game against a team that starts with the letter, "B"

Let's do this KU!

Ethan Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

Overall im pleased with the brackets. I think every single side of the bracket will be a fight. Not as obvious as Dukes last year. But leaving out Colorado for the likes of Tennesee, USC, VCU, UAB. Just blows my mind. Yea they were stupid for leaving but they didn't deserve this.

Roger Tobias 3 years, 1 month ago

Kiss of death: 3 of 4 CBS analysts pick KU to win it all

CU got royally screwed. Beat a 5 seed 3 times and a 4 seed once.

I don't do all the math, but it seems to me that the whole thing has become a self-fulfilling Eastern media prophecy. Let the Eastern writers rank 10 or 11 teams from the Big Least in the top 30 all year. They already admitted that if a team loses to a ranked team, it doesn't damage them as much. It's almost as good as winning. On the other hand, if you never rank a team, it takes forever of winning to get them on the radar. Another example: look how many losses it took for UNC to leave the top 25, and once they started winning, look how high they ended up. Same way with Villanova. I swear the entire Big Least teams could go 9-9 in-conference and all end up in the dance (e.g. UCONN).

My solution: Expand to 128 teams. Everybody play a game on Tuesday or Wednesday. The 64 losers of those games become the NIT contestants.

1911sa 3 years, 1 month ago

yes jay we know it was bad decisions. lets move on in the program

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Bilas--- "I wonder if some on the Basketball Committee know if the basketball is round!"

OUCH!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

OUCH!

HawksWin 3 years, 1 month ago

JayhawkinATL, I too heard Barkley+2 voting for Kansas on CBS, and almost fell off the couch! Thanks for your post, I thought I misheard. Espn never mentions KU unless it has to! Well I can't boycott cbs for sunspots now. Perhaps CBS knows basketball better than espn!! Go Jayhawks!

Kye Clark 3 years, 1 month ago

Colorado getting left out and Texas slipping to a #4 seed? I also think Florida as a #2 is a joke. Pitt got hooked up big time.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

ESPN is just ripping the Committee for dissing Colorado and Va. Tech. Rightfully so!

1911sa 3 years, 1 month ago

i wish jay bilas would be more quite...

claycountyjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

All year long its BIG EAST BIG EAST.Now nobody is picking the big east to win it all.

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years, 1 month ago

Uh....to those of you not threatened by KU's bracket.....What bracket are you looking at? Notre Dame, Purdue, Louisville and Georgetown are arguably the best 2, 3, 4 and 6 seeds in the tourney respectively....and any one of those first three teams are a scary matchup for KU's suspect (at times) 3 point defense. Tough bracket.....Only way it could have been worse was if Belmont was there somewhere. Belmont beats Wisconsin...book it.

MrPilot 3 years, 1 month ago

At least we didn't get screwed like last year. I feel a little sorry for Ohio State. Tell me again what's so good about being the overall #1 seed again?

That being said. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

TanMan 3 years, 1 month ago

OK, I like our bracket... its not the easiest (Pitt) but we should be fine while playing quality opponents. I feels for Tad Boyle, CU should have gotten in over Mich St., Marquette, UAB, on and on...

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

Three of the four CBS guys like KU!!!!!

Charlotte_Jhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Colorado was shafted. They played a lot better than Mizzou. Oh well, they ran out on the Big 12 so who cares? Go Jayhawks!!

Ben Kane 3 years, 1 month ago

i've never seen lunardi be so completely wrong across the board.

ParisHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, what time are the games ??? Am I going to have to stay up all night?

Selbyville 3 years, 1 month ago

Illinois is legit but has underperformed, so they're scary. Also Louisville is very tough, as is Notre Dame.

Matt1958 3 years, 1 month ago

How does Colorado not get in and that walking pond scum Mizzou does. PREPOSTEROUS!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh no, at least they ALL didn't say we were going to win it!

tical523 3 years, 1 month ago

Does anybody know what times the games are on Friday / Sunday? ? ? ?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

Colorado got the shaft. If I was a Colorado fan, I would be frickin' pissed. Yea, you beat K-State three times and they are in and you don't make it. Unbelievable! The Colonial gets three teams in? I can see two, but two? Mountain West gets two or three. It comes down to luck sometimes, as far as, where you are placed.

tical523 3 years, 1 month ago

Does anybody know what time the games will be Friday / Sunday? ? ? ?

sundancewierdo 3 years, 1 month ago

I didn't want to draw a team that begins with the letter "B", but the bracket shakes out nicely. Colorado got screwed. Big Time...

Krohnutz 3 years, 1 month ago

Lots of interesting things in our bracket early on.

1. A "B" team in Oklahoma.
  2. Possible second round matchup against either UNLV (which we beat in 2008) or Illinois (which their fanbase still hates Coach Self)
  3. Possibly playing two of the best teams the Big East (by conference finish) has to offer possibly back-to-back. Then followed by Pitt in the Final Four (if all seeds held up).

Krohnutz 3 years, 1 month ago

Big 10 teams will be dropping like panties on prom night.

manfred 3 years, 1 month ago

Did anyone else notice how Greg Gumbel thought the live KU feed was of Duke?

lv_jhwk 3 years, 1 month ago

Need any more proof that Dan Beebe lacks any kind of power among his colleagues? On the selection committee and can't get a team like Colorado in?!

lv_jhwk 3 years, 1 month ago

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 1 month ago

Style of play a factor?

Who cares if they bounce it in the basket off their heads, if they win they win.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 1 month ago

notre dame, unlv, & louisville are the only problem teams i see here.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 1 month ago

Colorado got screwed... How does the Big 10 get seven schools and the Big 12 only get five? We had more ranked teams by the end of the season and our teams routinely beat theirs in head-to-head noncon games.

mom_of_three 3 years, 1 month ago

No colorado, but 11 big east teams with similiar records.....

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 1 month ago

some tough draws in our division.... too bad we didnt land Florida as our #2....

lance1jhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I feel bad for Tad Boyle... Thought they should have gone over KSU_ck

Krohnutz 3 years, 1 month ago

So the Big 10 got 7 of 11 teams into this tournament? Are you serious?

Michael Auchard 3 years, 1 month ago

This sucks for Colorado. They, A&M and UT got jobbed to some degree.

hawksfan08 3 years, 1 month ago

No Colroado? are you kidding?

SDSurferFan 3 years, 1 month ago

Pitt has a difficult 2nd game, but may be easier sweet 16 run

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow! The Buffs didn't make it!

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

5/12 upset...Utah State over K-State.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 1 month ago

KSU v Utah St... interesting match-up there.

ParisHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

We got Notre Dame, which is the first 2 seed. Otherwise, I like not meeting Ohio State until the final game.

ParisHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Ben Kane 3 years, 1 month ago

Best bracket possible. ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 1 month ago

I like this bracket! A lot. Compared to last year, especially.

somethingfunny 3 years, 1 month ago

i'm not too worried about the 2-5 seeds. i just hope we don't have st. johns in our region...

hawksfan08 3 years, 1 month ago

OSU just got shafted. Hard. Kind of like we did last year.

Texas a 4 seed? wow.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 1 month ago

BYU or Notre Dame will be a 2 seed in KU's bracket.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 1 month ago

Glad the first part of my predictions proved false.

Now let's see where all the Goliath Killers are placed (7, 8, 9 seeds).