Originally published March 13, 2011 at 05:05p.m., updated March 14, 2011 at 12:25a.m.

KU men’s basketball team is No. 1 seed in Southwest regional, will play 16 seed Boston at 5:50 p.m. Friday

Kansas players from left, Mario Little, Travis Releford, Marcus Morris, Thomas Robinson, front, and Tyshawn Taylor laugh as they walk around the fieldhouse concourse following the NCAA tournament selection show on Sunday, March 13, 2011.

Videos

Self discusses Selection Sunday

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media after the Jayhawks received a number one seed in the 2011 NCAA Tournament on March 13, 2011.

Reader poll

What do you think of KU's draw in the Southwest region?

• Very easy 3% 137 votes
  • Moderately easy 19% 753 votes
  • Not easy or difficult 30% 1168 votes
  • Moderately difficult 39% 1510 votes
  • Very difficult 7% 289 votes

3857 total votes.

A savvy Kansas University staff member issued Bill Self a good-natured warning before the coach walked into a media interview room Sunday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Somebody said to me, ‘They are going to question you about the letter B.’ I said, ‘Why? What starts with the letter B?’ Then I realized I’ve been stung and hurt deeply twice by the letter B,” Self said with a big smile.

“Hopefully we’ll be better prepared for that (this time).”

Self’s Jayhawks on Sunday learned that, as the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament’s Southwest Regional, they’d been matched against Boston University in a first-round matchup at 5:50 p.m. Friday at BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla.

Folks who follow KU are well aware that Self’s Jayhawks lost in the first round the last two times the Jayhawks faced a team whose name started with the letter B — Bucknell in 2005 and Bradley in 2006.

“I wasn’t here for either of those. Maybe Brady (Morningstar) was here, but he’s been here since forever,” KU senior guard Tyrel Reed said. “I don’t have any of those Bradley or Bucknell woes. I was still in high school.”

Actually, it was so long ago, even fifth-year senior Morningstar was not yet enrolled at KU when the Jayhawks went down in the first round.

“No,” Morningstar said, asked if he had any concerns. “My name starts with a B.”

That out of the way, Self said he thought Boston U. (21-13) was an unusually tough No. 16 seed and said the Southwest Regional, which has Notre Dame as a No. 2 seed, Purdue as No. 3 and Louisville as No. 4, was rugged.

“Weren’t you guys surprised Boston is a 16 seed?” Self asked a pair of media members after a 15-minute news conference. “When I did my bracket in my mind who the 16 seeds were going to be, I didn’t think Boston was going to be one of them.

“I was a little surprised to see their name come up,” added Self, who has never coached a game against Boston U.

“Of course, everybody sees it through their own skewed eyes, and coaches have a hard time being objective about certain things, (but) I think it’s a hard draw. Every coach out there probably thinks it’s a tough draw to get where you want to go. You’ve got to beat good teams to get where you want to go, period.”

There were few surprises on a Sunday in which KU earned the second overall No. 1 seed behind Ohio State.

Yet some wacky side stories emerged. A victory over Boston would push KU into a second-round game Sunday against either Illinois or UNLV.

Self, who has worked as head coach at Tulsa schools Oral Roberts and Tulsa, coached at Illinois for three years before replacing Roy Williams at KU.

One of UNLV’s players is former KU forward Quintrell Thomas.

“I think it’ll be a hard game if we advance regardless,” Self said. “It’s amazing. In ’08, UNLV was an 8-9 (seed), In ’10, UNLV is an 8-9, and in ’11, UNLV is 8-9, all in our region. Even though we haven’t played them but once (with KU winning in ’08), this will be the third time we’ve prepared for them.

“It is unique. The last three coaches that coached at Illinois — Lon (Kruger, UNLV) playing Illinois, then the winner of that game if we advance is playing the guy who used to coach at Illinois as well. It could be pretty interesting.”

As far as Thomas ... “The first thing I thought of when I saw UNLV on the screen was Quintrell,” Morningstar said. “I thought that was cool we might get to see him.”

Self has fond memories of the UNLV sophomore, who left KU after his freshman season.

“We like him, and the players stay in touch with him,” Self said. “I don’t know how much they talk to him, but he’s done well. I’d think he would like that a lot to get a chance to play his old school and old teammates. There’s absolutely no animosity with Quintrell at all. I thought he made a good decision for playing time moving forward.

“They’ve got a tough game Thursday. If we win, whoever we play ... UNLV it’s Elijah (Johnson, KU guard from Las Vegas) and Quintrell, or Illinois and the connections that exist there. There’d be some sentimental value for that game, I think.”

Of returning to Tulsa, Self said: “We had a lot of fun at Oral Roberts and Tulsa. People equate our success at the University of Tulsa as my stay in Tulsa. We spent four years at Oral Roberts and had great success there. We moved across town and are so fortunate it worked out at both places. I don’t think it’ll be a trip down memory lane, but it’ll be cool to play there.”

KU’s players on Feb. 27 spent four hours at the Tulsa airport. The team’s return flight from its game against Oklahoma in Norman couldn’t land in Topeka because of fog and was re-routed to Tulsa. The Jayhawks rented a couple of old buses for the drive back to Lawrence.

“We sat at the airport. We breathed some of that good Tulsa air already,” Reed joked.

“I imagine our accomodations and the bus we use will probably be higher-quality going south to Tulsa this time,” Self cracked.

Here are all the teams in the Southwest regional:

1. Kansas
  11. USC/VCU
  12. Richmond
  13. Morehead State
  14. St. Peter
  15. Akron
  16. Boston

Comments

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Glad the first part of my predictions proved false.

Now let's see where all the Goliath Killers are placed (7, 8, 9 seeds).

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

I have seen Utah State twice this year and saw them last night in their Championship game. They will present some challenges but again, we should win if we play like we did against Texas.

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 6 months ago

I believe Utah St. is playing the Mildcats. We have Boston.

utahjayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I've watched them quite a bit being in Utah. They wouldn't have posed us much problem. They'll give K state a good game though.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Any team that will defend and shoots the three will be a problem.

jhawk4life1976 8 years, 6 months ago

I seem to remember Utah State giving us a scare in the 1st round a few years back. Wasn't it 2003?

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 6 months ago

Plus they are from the Mountains. Considering K-States record against mountain teams....

100 8 years, 6 months ago

Twins....

If you guys are reading this...

It's time to feel disrespected again.

Apparently the voters think Ohio State is the #1 overall seed?

Even though our home loss was the game where none of our players got any sleep the night before.

It's time to do this. Feel the utmost disrespect for 6 games. Carry it with you. Talk your talk. Walk your walk.

Talk the talk for 6 games. Walk the walk for 6 games.

And we're gonna have one helluva parade for you guys after you show the world what you're made of.

40 minutes of championship D per game. And going through the twins.

We have been disrespected & slapped in the face..... There's only one way to get this respect back...

Win 6 games twins!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

One step at a time, 6 steps,but one at a time.

Enjoy every possession and dominate.

Six teams better than Colorado, can't sleep, play quick but don't hurry.

mm45 8 years, 5 months ago

yeah bb73 walk the talk? no its talk the talk and walk the walk just as method man corrected you

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

BYU or Notre Dame will be a 2 seed in KU's bracket.

somethingfunny 8 years, 6 months ago

i'm not too worried about the 2-5 seeds. i just hope we don't have st. johns in our region...

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Count on it. They ain't pitting them in Pitt's bracket.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Count on it. They ain't pitting them in Pitt's bracket.

TanMan 8 years, 6 months ago

St.J lost Kennedy, one of their key players... not to worry

hawksfan08 8 years, 6 months ago

OSU just got shafted. Hard. Kind of like we did last year.

Texas a 4 seed? wow.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 6 months ago

I like this bracket! A lot. Compared to last year, especially.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Kissing your own sister was better than last years.

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

Best bracket possible. ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK!

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

We got Notre Dame, which is the first 2 seed. Otherwise, I like not meeting Ohio State until the final game.

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

That would be a game of the ages----like KU/Memphis in '08.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Love to see us play Ohio State. That would be like KU/Memphis in '08.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 6 months ago

$#!7! Didn't think about that!

Surely we've appeased the basketball gods with our offerings since then, though!

Eric Dawson 8 years, 6 months ago

But -- and this is critical -- not a BB! Bucknell Bisons Bradley Braves Boston --- Terriers

As long as they don't change their name to Bulldogs before we play them, KU will be fine!

Michael Auchard 8 years, 6 months ago

KSU v Utah St... interesting match-up there.

dgaskill 8 years, 6 months ago

Something is wrong with the selection process, even the ESPN announcers are incensed about it. These are probably the same guys that fixed KU up with the trap game last year.

Paul Rupp 8 years, 6 months ago

Super Big Time Hose. CU should definltely be there!

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

Tad Boyle and his players had nothing to do with the decision. Why should they be punished?

lance1jhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Oklahoma has not been kind to KU, but I think we can change that this year.... At least we are not playing in Oklahoma City.

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

They have a new, big-city-sized arena, BOK Center.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 6 months ago

Bill Self was very popular in Tulsa. Maybe we'll pick up some local fans for support at the game.

Steve Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

Maybe, but local fans usually root for the dawgs. We will have to bring our own muscle.

lance1jhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I feel bad for Tad Boyle... Thought they should have gone over KSU_ck

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 6 months ago

Especially since they beat them three times!

100 8 years, 6 months ago

Interesting. So if CU goes would they have been a 5 seed? I thought they were 5 seed worthy.

Jan Rolls 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm not a colorado fan but they got shafted. That's why the ncaa stands for No Class At All

100 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree about Colorado. They should be dancing.

SDSurferFan 8 years, 6 months ago

Pitt has a difficult 2nd game, but may be easier sweet 16 run

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 6 months ago

some tough draws in our division.... too bad we didnt land Florida as our #2....

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Can you believe Florida a #2 in a close region the same day Kentucky shalacked them and got only a #4 seed?

Not that I feel sorry for Scalamari, but yeah, that would irk me to no end.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 6 months ago

This sucks for Colorado. They, A&M and UT got jobbed to some degree.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

So the Big 10 got 7 of 11 teams into this tournament? Are you serious?

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

Why not? They're letting all kinds of 13-14 loss teams in.

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

No colorado, but 11 big east teams with similiar records.....

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 6 months ago

Colorado got screwed... How does the Big 10 get seven schools and the Big 12 only get five? We had more ranked teams by the end of the season and our teams routinely beat theirs in head-to-head noncon games.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 6 months ago

notre dame, unlv, & louisville are the only problem teams i see here.

DCLawHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Then I'm guessing you haven't watched Johnson and Moore from Purdue. That team is for real. KU is deeper, but the Boilers can ball.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Big 10 teams will be dropping like panties on prom night.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

LOL. Whew! I got a good picture of that.

KU_Mitch 8 years, 6 months ago

Excuse me but I need to know where that prom is at............. Thanks

oldrocker 8 years, 6 months ago

Haha...thanks, Krohnutz! I got a big chuckle from that comment!

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Style of play a factor?

Who cares if they bounce it in the basket off their heads, if they win they win.

lv_jhwk 8 years, 6 months ago

Need any more proof that Dan Beebe lacks any kind of power among his colleagues? On the selection committee and can't get a team like Colorado in?!

manfred 8 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone else notice how Greg Gumbel thought the live KU feed was of Duke?

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Yea, I saw it---that was just as bad as Bob Knight calling us K-State.

Thanks CBS----we know you care-----NOT!

DCLawHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Greg Gumbel is the least talented anchor in network sports today. The only thing worse is watching him do play-by-play--in any sport. PAINFUL!!

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

He made three or four silly mistakes throughout, including calling UCLA the Spartans.

Steve Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

I thought at the time wow dookies have twins just like ours....cute.

lv_jhwk 8 years, 6 months ago

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree. While he has to leave the room anytime they consider a Big 12 team, I think it says something about the respect the rest of the world has for him that Colorado got left out, Texas got a 4 seed and Mizzou got an 11. I am happy that every single analyst on TV immediately jumped all over the CU exclusion, and the UAB inclusion. Total joke (that applies to both the committee's work AND to Dan Beebe).

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Colorado got the shaft. If I was a Colorado fan, I would be frickin' pissed. Yea, you beat K-State three times and they are in and you don't make it. Unbelievable! The Colonial gets three teams in? I can see two, but two? Mountain West gets two or three. It comes down to luck sometimes, as far as, where you are placed.

100 8 years, 6 months ago

If you beat a five seed team three times in a year you should be in.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Lots of interesting things in our bracket early on.

1. A "B" team in Oklahoma.
  2. Possible second round matchup against either UNLV (which we beat in 2008) or Illinois (which their fanbase still hates Coach Self)
  3. Possibly playing two of the best teams the Big East (by conference finish) has to offer possibly back-to-back. Then followed by Pitt in the Final Four (if all seeds held up).

Mandie Eutsler 8 years, 6 months ago

I didn't want to draw a team that begins with the letter "B", but the bracket shakes out nicely. Colorado got screwed. Big Time...

tical523 8 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody know what time the games will be Friday / Sunday? ? ? ?

HawkBBall 8 years, 6 months ago

Friday:

KU vs. BU 5:50 pm, on TBS A&M v. FSU 3:10 pm on TBS UT v. Oak 11:15 am on CBS

tical523 8 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody know what times the games are on Friday / Sunday? ? ? ?

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

I am only guessing but usually when we have played on a Friday, it is usually a night game. Add to the fact that we are in Tulsa, close to Lawrence, etc. Crossing my fingers on that.

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

<p>SI.com on their NCAA Basketball page has an article "Complete Viewer's Guide" on when the games will be televised and by which network. Although, I didn't see a specific time for KU's game.

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

The network(s) determine the game times, which won't be announced until later tonight. But traditionally, the No. 1 seeds play day games.

Michael Auchard 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh no, at least they ALL didn't say we were going to win it!

Ethan Jones 8 years, 6 months ago

Good thing Vitale has Louisville beating us. Just as wrong as picking KU 5th in the big 12. Some people never learn.

Matt1958 8 years, 6 months ago

How does Colorado not get in and that walking pond scum Mizzou does. PREPOSTEROUS!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 6 months ago

Three of the four CBS guys like KU!!!!!

100 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes. Until the guy on the right disrespected us going into the commercial, changing his vote to Carolina to go along with the laughter from his crew.

Twins, if you are reading.... You have been disrespected by the press again....

6 games to make it right.

TanMan 8 years, 6 months ago

OK, I like our bracket... its not the easiest (Pitt) but we should be fine while playing quality opponents. I feels for Tad Boyle, CU should have gotten in over Mich St., Marquette, UAB, on and on...

Selbyville 8 years, 6 months ago

Illinois is legit but has underperformed, so they're scary. Also Louisville is very tough, as is Notre Dame.

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, what time are the games ??? Am I going to have to stay up all night?

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

i've never seen lunardi be so completely wrong across the board.

Chuck---

I am not going to listen to Lunardi anymore---just like Vitale.

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

seriously, he just proved himself a complete waste. looking at his brackets (which i did all year) is now proven completely useless. though he did get us right in the southwest.

RockCaCO3 8 years, 6 months ago

He's usually close, but far from it this year.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 6 months ago

Lunardi has never been that good. He gets the the big ESPN audience, other than that, below average. The enclosed link compares the different bracketologist for the last 5 years...

As you can see, there are many other "bracketologists" that are much better than Lunardi.

somethingfunny 8 years, 6 months ago

That's assuming that the NCAA was actually "right" in the teams they picked. ESPN just posted a stat: 5 teams with 14 losses made it this year. 6 teams with 14 losses made it from 1985-2010.

There are a lot of teams with less than 14 losses that got screwed. If Dicky V is angry about a big-12 team getting left out, then you KNOW that Colorado got shafted big time. I've never seen Dicky as angry as he is with the NCAA's poor selections.

Why jump off Lunardi's bandwagon when it's obvious the NCAA committee is full of dolts and morons who don't know basketball??

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

because lunardi's purpose isn't being right, but predicting the committee, they are all that matters.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 6 months ago

Lunardi's problem is that he followed the committee's formula and the committee didn't. There's always some criticism, but I've never seen Bilas so upset. Usually it's just Dickie V sticking up for some mid-major no one else has ever heard of.

kukuku 8 years, 6 months ago

I've never seen the committee be so completely wrong across the board.

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

Not just Lundardi. Five or six respected "bracketologists" were all wrong. But who can blame them? Who could have predicted that the committee would screw the pooch so badly this year?

Bob Schutz 8 years, 6 months ago

Colorado was shafted. They played a lot better than Mizzou. Oh well, they ran out on the Big 12 so who cares? Go Jayhawks!!

MrPilot 8 years, 6 months ago

At least we didn't get screwed like last year. I feel a little sorry for Ohio State. Tell me again what's so good about being the overall #1 seed again?

That being said. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years, 6 months ago

Uh....to those of you not threatened by KU's bracket.....What bracket are you looking at? Notre Dame, Purdue, Louisville and Georgetown are arguably the best 2, 3, 4 and 6 seeds in the tourney respectively....and any one of those first three teams are a scary matchup for KU's suspect (at times) 3 point defense. Tough bracket.....Only way it could have been worse was if Belmont was there somewhere. Belmont beats Wisconsin...book it.

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Uhhh, are you spotting Wisconsin 10 points to start the game?

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

While those teams have lit it up from the three during the year, their inside defense isn't all that great......But if they get us into a free throw contest by playing Hack-A-Hawk it will be tough.

Kye Clark 8 years, 6 months ago

Definitely agree on the 2 & 3. Xavier and St John's are tougher 6 seeds than Georgetown. At the four I'd rank Louisville and Texas as equally tough.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

Wisconsin rarely loses in the first round. Book it.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

You don't know anything about Wisconsin.

David Hewitt 8 years, 6 months ago

But KU would only have to play one of Notre Dame, Purdue or Georgetown.

Yes, the elite-8 game will be tough, but Ohio State is looking at having to play all three of Villanova, Kentucky & North Carolina/Syracuse, plus Duke and KU.

Even the top seeds generally only get one gimmie game, after that nearly every team should be playing against someone who has a shot to win.

1911sa 8 years, 6 months ago

i wish jay bilas would be more quite...

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

ESPN is just ripping the Committee for dissing Colorado and Va. Tech. Rightfully so!

Kye Clark 8 years, 6 months ago

Colorado getting left out and Texas slipping to a #4 seed? I also think Florida as a #2 is a joke. Pitt got hooked up big time.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 6 months ago

Pitt's bracket is a free for all but Pitt is not that strong.

HawksWin 8 years, 6 months ago

JayhawkinATL, I too heard Barkley+2 voting for Kansas on CBS, and almost fell off the couch! Thanks for your post, I thought I misheard. Espn never mentions KU unless it has to! Well I can't boycott cbs for sunspots now. Perhaps CBS knows basketball better than espn!! Go Jayhawks!

David Hewitt 8 years, 6 months ago

Barkley is on loan from TNT, since the games are spread across multiple networks this time.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Jay Bilas--- "I wonder if some on the Basketball Committee know if the basketball is round!"

OUCH!

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

I about rolled on the floor with that comment..... He is right, though

Kye Clark 8 years, 6 months ago

That's awesome. Glad he's not holding back. Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg talking to the head of the committee was pathetic.

TanMan 8 years, 6 months ago

I liked it the first time.. Bilas (although he's a Dooky) is the only analyst that makes any sense, and has a sense of humor occassionally

OUCH!

1911sa 8 years, 6 months ago

yes jay we know it was bad decisions. lets move on in the program

Roger Tobias 8 years, 6 months ago

Kiss of death: 3 of 4 CBS analysts pick KU to win it all

CU got royally screwed. Beat a 5 seed 3 times and a 4 seed once.

I don't do all the math, but it seems to me that the whole thing has become a self-fulfilling Eastern media prophecy. Let the Eastern writers rank 10 or 11 teams from the Big Least in the top 30 all year. They already admitted that if a team loses to a ranked team, it doesn't damage them as much. It's almost as good as winning. On the other hand, if you never rank a team, it takes forever of winning to get them on the radar. Another example: look how many losses it took for UNC to leave the top 25, and once they started winning, look how high they ended up. Same way with Villanova. I swear the entire Big Least teams could go 9-9 in-conference and all end up in the dance (e.g. UCONN).

My solution: Expand to 128 teams. Everybody play a game on Tuesday or Wednesday. The 64 losers of those games become the NIT contestants.

RockChalk26 8 years, 6 months ago

Great, an opening game against a team that starts with the letter, "B"

Let's do this KU!

Ethan Berger 8 years, 6 months ago

Overall im pleased with the brackets. I think every single side of the bracket will be a fight. Not as obvious as Dukes last year. But leaving out Colorado for the likes of Tennesee, USC, VCU, UAB. Just blows my mind. Yea they were stupid for leaving but they didn't deserve this.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

We have so many paranoid everybody is against us fans. Why would CBS make a corporate decision to oppose KU? Why would ESPN? Why would ....etc. etc.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 6 months ago

Just curious... Wasn't the new format to allow each of the #1 seeds to play the winner of one of the play-in games??? Help me out, please.

Kelly Hanrahan 8 years, 6 months ago

Last 4 at large teams play & go on the line their seed dictates - usually an 11 or 12 seed. The last 4 automatic qualifiers play with winners playing on the line their seed dictates - usually a 16 seed.

KULA 8 years, 6 months ago

The play-in games are not the lowest rated teams. Some of the small conference automatic qualifiers are usually the lowest rated teams. The play-in teams are at-large bids, which are supposed to be the top 35 (or whatever) teams that don't qualify automatically.

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

espn compared the four teams, colorado, uab, vt and bcu, and colorado BY FAR had the better record.

SDSurferFan 8 years, 6 months ago

UNLV- I've watched this team 4xs this year. They can't shoot and when a team can D it up, they really can't shoot. KU hammers this team.

Illinois- Not impressed with b10, save Ohio State. They were good early, avg late. They did have a run before the beg of the year of defeating- UNC, Zags, Oakland, NCor. Those are good wins. Late they faltered.

Weird for Self going against Ill.

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

We should win against Boston, but one game at a time. The Hawks must not look ahead or they'll end up with another UNI loss. IMHO that's what happened last year, and somewhat against K State this year. Bet Nebraska had that in mind when the Jayhawks visited Lincoln in their rematch on Feb. 5th. Over confidence can be any team's nemesis and downfall.

Not so weird to match up former coaches against former teams in the NCAA's. ( KU vs N. Carolina in '08 ended up a major attraction) Committee is interested in making money for the NCAA, and creating a continued interest in the tournament. Can imagine them purposely wanting to create controversial and commercial matchups. Makes for more excitement and sells more tickets. Revenge factor.

MrPilot 8 years, 6 months ago

Did someone say that Dan Bebee was on the committee this year?

Conspiracy Hat On

Maybe he torpedoed their bid as a final "up yours" to them for leaving the conference?

Conspiracy Hat Off

Just wonderin'.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Conspiracies are one of the bulwarks of any civilized society.

Without conspiracies, not one single committee, or board, meeting would ever act on anything.

The trick is to constrain the conspiracies to activities that do not result in coup d'estats, something no society has yet learned how to achieve for any length of time. :-)

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

I have seen Illinois play twice and KU can beat them. K-State played UNLV out in Vegas earlier in the season and saw that game on TV. KU can punch it down low and we'll be fine.

Just hope Obama picks Ohio State this year so I know we'll win it if he does.

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

wow, was just thinking the same thing about obama...

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 6 months ago

K-State/UNLV game earlier this year was at Sprint Center. It was right before that game that Pullen & Kelly were suspended. They did play in Vegas last season.

Interesting that UNLV keeps popping up in our bracket for a potential second game. We played them in Omaha in '08, they were there last year but UNI beat them in first round, now they are a potential opponent again this year.

Let's get the first one out of the way Friday, and go on from there. Rock Chalk!!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

80--- You're right. They did play in Vegas last year. The two were in the Sprint Center this year. Thanks for the correction of my earlier post.

Vittorio1224 8 years, 6 months ago

What's beyond comprehension is that not only did Colorado beat K-State 3x, but they ALSO beat Texas AND Misery! I like Tad Boyle -- great job coaching in his first year, and a faithful Jayhawk guy. What a travesty. The Committee needs to be BLOWN UP! It's not often that I agree with Dickie V. but really.... it's time to get an NCAA Tournament czar!

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

"Poor Kirk Herbstreit--Falling Victim to His Own Homerism?"

(Warning: this is about an Ohio State Suckeye football homer, not about KU basketball. But it is somehow emblematic of the problems of the professional media and so I call it to the attentions of board rats that may be interested.)

You have to be bitterly amused by this story at the following link.

Homerism, for the uninitiated is defined in the jaybate unabridged dictionary as:

Homerism n., an ideology of blatant, unobjective advocacy of the home team contrary to the facts in anticipation of making more money and gaining more career advancement and access, for acting in this way.

Kirk Herbstreit, a broadcaster who is reputedly (and to some extent by his own admission) an unapologetic homer for Suckeye football, decides to move from Columbus, where he does a local show, when he is not homering on ESPN nationally, to Nashville--a bigger media market--supposedly to get away from all the heckling of locals who dislike his efforts at being "a little objective" about OSU.

First, Kirk, if you had acted professionally as an objective national broadcaster, instead of as an unapologetic homer, you wouldn't have created the near fascistic homerism expectations in your local Columbus market. Put another way, if you act like a whore for ESPN nationally, why shouldn't fans expect you to act like a whore for them locally. Fans don't care about media market sizes the way ESPN does. They just care about the Suckeyes.

Tom Keegan is right to stick a sharp stick in our eyes occasionally, regardless of his motivations. If all he does is bend over to our prejudices for our home team, then we are relentlessly going to expect more favoritism from him. No professional journalist can be completely independent and survive the career ending firings by corporate. At the same time, no professional journalist can be an endless homer and avoid being sucked over the event horizon and down the black hole of expectations of being a media whore.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Second, Kirk, you apparently disingenuous media whore, you appear to be moving to Nashville, because it is a bigger media market that will amp your earnings. And it is probably waaaaay easier to connect in and out of Nashville to travel for broadcasting assignments. And does ESPN have a relationship with some affiliate in Nashville?

Third, what I really love about the story at the link below on Kirk is the professional media writer's clear sympathy for Kirk. The story is written as if professional media writer is surprised that the internet has finally allowed a critical mass of unprocessed viewer opinion to accrue to the following point of view: Kirk sucks, because he is a whore and why if he whores for ESPN, why doesn't he whore just as much for us Suckeye fans.

Professional media persons have to begin to understand that the American public, or large percentages of it, are now fully aware of how much disingenuous, biased opinion engineering comes out the pipe posing as "news." Perhaps they always were and it just took the internet to create the forum where disaggregated awareness could be shared and contribute to altering measurable public opinion and reaction.

Kirk apparently built his career on homerism and now he is surprised that locals demand he be even more of a homer?

News professionals that too often hew to disingenous, biased opinion engineering for the good of corporate, and the good of access, and the good of eyeball attraction, are now surprised that the Columbus public wants them and Kirk to act as even bigger whores than corporate requires them usually to do?

C'mon media professionals. Wake up!

Homerism and lack of objectivity are slippery slopes converging toward each other and down into the journalistic abyss, even if they do make the long slide downward incredibly profitable.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

You guys are part of the bulwark of this constitutional republic, even you pixel burned wretches in sports broadcasting. This is all an expectations game. If you let yourselves act like media whores, and openly and repeatedly service the Power Johns for big bones, the public is going to become conditioned to expect that you are whores, and to expect you to act like whores, and eventually to service them like whores.

It is this last part that seems to surprise and appall professional media persons; that the public will come to expect them to service the public, too!

Don't you get it, guys and gals? When things went interconnective, you are no longer just slidlng down the slippery slope of servicing the Power Johns. Now you are sliding down the even more slippery slope of servicing the John Doe Johns. And in the connected era, where clicks are king its the John Doe Johns that are eventually going to generate the biggest clicks from being serviced while completely bent over.

Save yourselves. I love every pixel burned one of you guys and gals. I actually love a lot of the ESPN guys, though, I have to qualify a bit and say not the ones that appear to be unapologetically playing to the gaming industry agenda and helping set up false expectations about teams so the betters can be fleeced. I love Erin Andrews and Holly, too. I love Tom, Gary, Jesse and Matt, and Eric here at KUSports.com.

Let this Kirk Herbstreit black comedy be a warning to you and to all of us.

You are best off striving toward objectivity, even though it can never be perfectly realized, because it does not set up in us, the readers, the expectation of you folks acting like whores in our behalves.

Our part of the social contract in communication is: we must encourage your objectivity, even as we disagree with it, because if we do not wish to be consigned to having our opinions engineered by a bunch of hack pixel prostitutes, we must constantly advocate not only for our own right to express ourselves freely, but of the rights of professional journalists to express themselves freely.

Rock Chalk!

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Good read, very interesting both your post and the story in the link. They don't mention however exactly what that 10% of fans were doing to drive him out of town. I suppose you make your bed you have to lie in it. Too bad though seems like a decent guy/dad. His family shouldn't have to suffer. Don't they adhere to the mafia code of not involving the families in Ohio?

Vittorio1224 8 years, 6 months ago

Bilas with the quote of the day thus far re: Bracketology!

Spencer Goff 8 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate nobody wants to read that crap.

The brackets come out and you want to talk about football media people on a college basketball thread in March.

Get your own blog, stop hijacking this website.

kennethst 8 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate is allowed to go off topic on occasion......after all he gives to this board.

His analysis is spot-on.

Kye Clark 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree. While a pretty good read, it is grossly misplaced. My guess is he knew there would be a significant number of people on this thread in the moments immediately following the brackets coming out.

I'm sure he has considered the blog idea, but why get a blog for the people who know and enjoy his writings and would regularly visit when he can blog here and exponentially increase his readership?

Woody Cragg 8 years, 6 months ago

Just be respectful & skip over it if you wish.

SaulGood 8 years, 6 months ago

Agree with the sentiment, but it's hard when it's six pages long. Never seen another poster ramble on that far, even if it's erudite.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

Always amused at teams losing 13-14 games and whining about being left out. Colorado, I know who they beat, but they lost 13 games. Their non-conf SOS was 323 if I remember that correctly. Maybe they should have won a few more games, then they're not crying. Should be easier next year for them in the pac12 to win a few more and lose a few less.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. Maybe they got snubbed, but that probably wouldn't have been the case if they would have won a couple more games (and scheduled a little better). I do think they're better than the two teams that got picked above them though.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. Maybe they got snubbed, but that probably wouldn't have been the case if they would have won more games (and scheduled a little better). I do think they're better than the two teams that got picked over them though.

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

however, UAB and BCU were let in with similiar records and worse against the Top 50. To let them in bcause their non-com schedule was higher RPI ranked (and they lost!) is bad reasoning

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Should have taken care of business at ISU I think that sunk them.

kennethst 8 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate....I get the impression that you don't like Kirk Herbstreit....but I'm not sure....it wasn't quite clear. (sarcasm)

I have never been too impressed with him.....he seems to not only love OSU....but himself as well.

And Nashville? Nothing against Nashville.....but I could think of other cities a bit more well known for sports media markets

Anyway.....tell us your thoughts on our first match up vs. Boston Univ.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Why don't they rename the Southwest Regional the "Get Kansas If We Can Regional"?

Kansas--excellent team Notre Dame--super butchers, drive blockers in shorts. Purdue--a tough team. Louisville--better than Duke Vanderbilt--don't know them. Georgetown--in the southwest solely to hold eyeballs. Texas A&M--in the southwest to make sure they don't get far because they can't draw eye balls. UNLV--afraid Unibrow would knock out the Pac Ten market draws. Illinois--get Kansas. Florida State--get Kansas with one of Self's friends. USC/VCU--no one wants to watch them in their home regions so dump them in the Get Kansas Region that no one will be watching anyway. Richmond--ditto Morehead State--ditto St. Peter--ditto Akron--ditto Boston--assuming this means BoCol, so if correct, Donohue gave Self fits when Dononhue was at Cornell, maybe he can upset them at BoCol.

Tournament seeding is a joke and everyone knows it its. Three regions are set up to hold the most eyes in the Golden Crescent from Chicago, to Boston, Florida, across to LA and up to San Francisco. Everything inside the crescent gets dumped in the Get Kansas region. Every team in the Golden Crescent that no one cares about it the Golden Crescent gets banished to the Get Kansas region. There endeth the seeding lesson.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Erratum: Its BU, not BoCol. Hold east coast eye balls in the Get Kansas region.

Jason Hines 8 years, 6 months ago

Any guesses as to the start time on Friday? Or when it will be announced?

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

<p>SI.com on their NCAA basketball page has an article "Complete Viewe's Guide" which shows when the games will be televised and by which network. Although it doesn't show specific games, such as KU's, or any team's.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 6 months ago

5:50 Friday according to this site somewhere.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 6 months ago

1 Colorado disrespected the Big XII.

2 Colorado was disrespected by the NCAA.

Not sure what happened but from personal experience, when I act like and @sshole, usually others treat me like an @sshole.

For example, when I wine and dine my wife in Italy, and slap a few carats on her in Genoa, my wife doesn't yell at me when I spend ridiculous amounts of time giggling at board rats' brilliance on kusports.com. However, if I forget our anniversary, and proceed to kusports.com, then my wife kicks me in the junk, and says in a deep, throaty North Carolinian draw, "Michael Jordan forgot more about basketball than Danny Manning knows."

Sorry for Tad getting screwed, but not surprised. Recall the press conference regarding looking westward. Remember the harsh reality of realignment.

P.S. In the above scenario, I would certainly reply with, "I could give a $hit less about Carolina right now."

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Almost everyone is complaining that Colorado got a bum deal. I agree, somewhat. Boyle is a good coach and as a KU alumni, I'll support him. They probably deserved to be in.

However, as for why their team was knocked from competing in this year's tourney, isn't it obvious? Colorado, after it's many years of BBall experience playing second fiddle in the Big 8 and Big 12, will find the going much easier in the Pac 10 (or whatever they plan to call themselves). Colorado will become a perennial participant in future NCAA's. Aware of this, the committee held them out for maybe the last time for many years.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

By god I will contribute to a fund that keeps her in a fine place in Santa Marguerita Ligure just to protect your junk!

jhawk4life1976 8 years, 6 months ago

I know it's a long-shot but I noticed that Misery has a potential 2nd round match-up with Bucknell. Wouldn't that be ironic? :o)

100 8 years, 6 months ago

Well their entire fanbase has Bucknell shirts already so hopefully they pick the right shirt before going to the game & don't embarrass the Big 12 further.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow---did not notice that. That Larry Brown statement, "What comes around, goes around," comes to mind.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 6 months ago

After the committee adjourned they could be heard cheering f u c u clap-clap clap-clap-clap.

Once this talk calms down and people look at their brackets they will try to figure out the Kentucky and Florida seeds. Wow!

sportjunky 8 years, 6 months ago

What's the breakdown by conference? Five Big XII teams I see, but how about all of the other conferences?

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 6 months ago

MrPilot - I read that and seriously laughed out loud. Thanks for that one.

To answer your question seriously, sportjunky: 11 Big East, 7 Big 10 (that's the one that shocks me), 5 for the SEC, 4 for the ACC, 3 for the Mountain West... and I lose track on the smaller conferences.

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

sure nice of them to spend less than one minute talking about ku's bracket and none of it on kansas....grrr..

f-ing espn (and all national media0

RCJH let's show 'em!

MrPilot 8 years, 6 months ago

I think it might be more of a compliment that he just automatically put us for the win and didn't even waste time talking about Boston.

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

all 1 seeds can be automatically moved forward, but they still spent a bunch of time talking about the other 3.

Justin LoBurgio 8 years, 6 months ago

Looking ahead a bit, we could see "Q" in the second round. Interesting.

AsadZ 8 years, 6 months ago

I feel really sorry for Boyle and Colorado kids. They deserved to be in the field. This has got to be the biggest NCAA selection blunder in the recent history. How can VCU, UAB get in but not Colorado?

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

i agree, but you won't hear them admit it.

i feel sorry for VT also, but then again, i went to VT before i transferred to kansas. :)

milehighhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Two things.

1. We have a soft bracket compared to most.
  2. I think CU didn't get in because the Big 12 seemed to be downgraded as a conference: Texas a 4, A&M a 7, Mizzou an 11, etc.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 6 months ago

CU played much better ball at the end of the season than misery. How much does that really say?

Jack Wilson 8 years, 6 months ago

Haven't had time to read all the comments .. but I predicted all along that Duke would be in the same bracket with either BYU or SDSU, either as a 1 - 2, or 2 - 1. Just pointing out one of my few correct predictions this season.

Mike Johns 8 years, 6 months ago

do we know what time friday the game will be?

Ben Kane 8 years, 6 months ago

more disrespect from V... big surprise.

Kenny Nall 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the East and West are equally tough, followed by our region and Pitt made out like a bandit!

Pwnage 8 years, 6 months ago

Can't wait to see the Kan$a$ Yankee$ watching the championship game from Lawrence.

Better...I can't wait to hear the crying of KU fans when they lose because it's sweet music.

Go Scamsus University!

sportjunky 8 years, 6 months ago

Methinks that old "phog" has returned... I thought that I chased you away a few years ago...

Jared Grillot 8 years, 6 months ago

Obviously you have missed, and, like many others who don't know anything about basketball, have confused "KU" with "UK". There are a number of quite reputable Kentucky trolls lurking around here who can direct you to the correct boards.

KU_Mitch 8 years, 6 months ago

Excuse me but I need to know where that prom is at............. Thanks

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 6 months ago

1 - Feel sorry for Tad because CU got screwed. 2 - Tough noogies, CU, you traitorous bunch of second rate money grabbers. 3 - K-State got screwed. Utah State in the first round - seriously?

100 8 years, 6 months ago

Utah State: 15 RPI.... Seeded # 12

Talk about disrespect....

Game is in Tucson. Six seniors on Utah State. Head coach of Utah State has been to the tournament 8 times. This will be an interesting first round game.

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 6 months ago

Utah State also has history with us in this tourney. We played them in the first round in '03 in OKC (sorry to bring this site up). We were a two seed and they were a 15. Game was fairly close throughout, and we won by three. They missed a three at the end that would have forced OT. Somehow after this near opening round disaster, we wound up in the title game.

They still have the same coach, and are pretty good most years. Not predicting a win, but they could well give the Cats some trouble.

utahjayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Stew Morrill is a great coach at Utah St, but they're really not as strong as folks are making them out to be. The word of mouth on USU has gotten stronger and stronger, like St John's and UCLA (go figure), but it's just that, talk, really without facts.

jaybate 8 years, 6 months ago

Morrill has brought Ratso Izzo bang ball to the west and flourished with it. They will be a tough out for people.

Vittorio1224 8 years, 6 months ago

Best thing I've heard all evening: ONE game at a time. We should learn our lesson from last year. All I care about is Boston Terrier U right now. Let's get this.... for T. Rob's momma!! :)

KansasComet 8 years, 6 months ago

Don't have time to worry about others. Let's take care of what's out in front of us. One Jayhawk win at a time!

Jared Grillot 8 years, 6 months ago

Anyone feel that Duke is getting a tiny little bit of payback for their cakewalk last year? SDSU, UConn, TX, AZ feels a little stacked. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

JHawk74 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't feel sorry for Colorado. They were solid this year but they didn't beat any good teams in their non-conference schedule. I don't think Big East should of gotten 11 teams either. We will see how many Big East teams make it to the Sweet 16 and we then will know if they deserved that many teams or not. Who is Boston U? I guess we will find out this week. I like our draw this year, I would have rather got SDSU as our two seed but ND is better than Florida or North Carolina. Not sure ND can beat Purdue anyway. KSU has a chance to make it to the Sweet 16 this year. Utah State and Wiscousin are decent games for KSU to win. Texas shouldn't have any problems making it to the Sweet 16 also. Memphis and Arizona are games they can win. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

neither did VCU or UAB. They just PLAYED a higher RPI non com schedule. But they didn't win any, well, maybe 1.

Dan Harris 8 years, 6 months ago

I'll be the first to say it, Colorado got Screweeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh , wait a minute ,I'm too late!

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 6 months ago

I have UNC, Kansas, Connecticut, and BYU in the Final Four.

I also have Kansas State advancing to the Elite 8 over Pittsburgh then losing to BYU in the Regional finals.

I have Duke beating Texas in the Regional semifinals and Connecticut over Missouri in the 2nd round.

Outside of the conference I have Villanova upsetting Ohio State in the 2nd round then a UNC/Kentucky Regional final.

My regional finals:

UNC over Kentucky Connecticut over Duke Kansas over Notre Dame BYU over Kansas State

lovemyhawks 8 years, 6 months ago

ok, i'm okay with the bracket EXCEPT for ku getting ND as their #2 seed...... ND belonged with either Duke or Pitt since they were predicted as a possible #1. and pitt gets #2 FLORIDA???? that's crazy and yes, i feel TERRIBLE for colorado..... just doesn't seem fair at all.... they deserved to be in. wow. as long as we play like we did last night, it won't matter WHO we are playing but we NEED TO BE THAT TEAM for 40 minutes, 6 more times!!!!! they were awesome and hopefully know what it felt like so they can keep it going. yes, boston is a "B" team but i'm not worried in a 1-16 matchup!! LOL. anyway, let's go hawks..... we can do it..... YES YOU CAN!!!! let's go out and prove it, especially to dick vitale!!! RCJH!!

Laura Hrabak 8 years, 6 months ago

As much as COlorado was disrespected someone needs to say it...the Big 12 as a whole was disrespected!

Texas a 4 not a 3, Kansas another tough road Only 5 teams in Missouri a 11

are you kidding me this committee obviously thought that the Big 12 was not any good. But they are dead wrong in every poll and statistical analysis we are at worse third in the country as a conference.

JHawk74 8 years, 6 months ago

Okay let's prove the Big 12 is a good conference this year. KU, Texas, KSU, A&M and Missouri all win their 1st two games and make it to the Sweet 16.

Laura Hrabak 8 years, 6 months ago

Texas a 4 not a 3, Kansas another tough road Only 5 teams in Missouri a 11

and on top of all that somehow the SEC loser in the game against UK gets a 2 seed. SO you win a lack luster conference and get a 2 seed. Ohio St athletic director and his commitee were just bad....VCU and UAB were only the start of this terrbile seeding....good news the tournament is idiot proof and will still give us good basketball even with all of the lunacy.

Dan Harris 8 years, 6 months ago

KU over GTown Pitt over BYU OSU over UNC Duke over UCONN

KU over Pitt OSU over Duke

KU over OSU for #6 RCJH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Ramp 8 years, 6 months ago

Am I the only person who watches the replay of the '08 National Championship game to get psyched for the tournament? (Not that I need anything to get excited)

Hank Cross 8 years, 6 months ago

The absurd homerism on this thread is pegging red. I wonder how many people who recently branded CU as traitors b/c they were smart enough to escape serfdom on Bevo's ranch, are now bemoaning the fate of the Buffs.

The "Big Least"? Seriously? During that league's existence five different schools have won the NC, with UConn winning twice. During that same time frame only KU has won the NC among the B8,SWC, and B12 schools. KU is the only thing that separates B12 BB from Mountain West BB.

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Just wondering, did anyone that complained to CBS after the MU game get a reply? I mean beside the automatic one. I know I didn't. Anyway USC makes it in but CU doesn't????? They beat KSU three times and Texas and made it to the BigXII semi final game. That's just wrong.

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh yeah I forgot they also beat Missouri.

100 8 years, 6 months ago

The only thing KSU had over CU was beating KU. Keep in mind before KSU's 5 game winning streak they were on the NIT bubble.

Not sure how beating us once is this big of a difference, especially when CU beat KSU 3 times & made it to the final 4 of the conference tournament, which took two wins at a neutral site, where KSU didn't win a game.

Are they really looking at the last ten games?

If it's one or the other between the two, CU by the eyeball test looked like a tournament team every single game they played this season.

Tad Boyle is a great coach, a great man & a Jayhawk.

He really got the shaft.

JHawk74 8 years, 6 months ago

Go to a sports bar and watch the game. I doubt you find it for free online.

drwho127 8 years, 6 months ago

@jhawkfan162515..you can watch all the games on cbssportsline.com

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow! Just got home from a great weekend in KC for the big 12 tournament.

Observations:

1) Dave Armstrong is a complete........(Insert word of your choice here). I pretty much wanted to pop him right in the jaw at McFaddens. I think my 6'5 frame vs his 6'7 older obnoxious shoving ability would have been a good show. Would have been kind of funny if he didn't make his telecast for the K-State/Colorado game on Thursday.

2) Walt Wesley is about as classy as guy you'll ever meet. Had a nice conversation with him as we were both walking to the game from the cab line a couple of blocks away from the sprint center.

3) I spent about an hour and a half with Khris Middleton's parents at the airport bar in MCI watching the Selection show. We were both on the same flight to Charlotte as they live in Charleston, SC. Great People! They love Turgeon!

They really wanted to be in the Charlotte site for A&M's games, but were not thrilled about having to play in Chicago as they most likely weren't going to be able to see their son play. However, our flight got overbooked and the flight attendants went on the intercom and asked for two people if they would give up their seats for a free nights hotel and $500 voucher per person. Let's say the Middelton's beat me to the punch and now they are going to be able to go up to Chicago to see their son play. Pretty cool timing for all that to happen. He gave me a high 5 as they were exiting the plane.

4) I love KU's Bracket

5) Not sure how Florida gets a 2 seed? Not sure how UNC gets a 2 seed? Not sure how Texas gets a 4 seed? Not sure how V. Tech, Colorado, and Alabama got shafted? Not sure how UAB, VCU, and Georgia made the tourny?

Redlandsjhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

And I'm not sure why everyone slobbers over Joe Lunardi right up until the selection show actually starts! I'm only slightly kidding when I say I think I could have done as good (bad?) a job at "guessing" who is going where. Everyone on ESPN takes his opinion as fact when any number of posters on this site cold have done a better job.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the Jayhawks need to celebrate the meeting with Boston University with a pre-game tea party!

A little "history" joke for anyone that didn't get that.

Lex Valdez 8 years, 6 months ago

bring the title back to where it belongs! lets go hawks! rcjh...

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 6 months ago

conspiracy alert conspiracy alert conspitacy alert

the ncaa obviously wants to blow this tourney up and add additional teams, anyone remember all that 96 talk? so why not screw a couple of somewhat deserving teams from major conferences in hopes of gaining public supports for an expanded tournament?

ok, got to go. my house is being circled by black helicopters

Bill Skeet 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow. I had the same thought... The head of the selection committee even said (on CBS) "we just didn't have enough spots" when explaining why CU and VaTech were left out.

Certainly seems credible to infer they are positioning for expansion.

kcglowboy 8 years, 6 months ago

He did say that. But it was one of many non-answers he gave. The man could be a politician. Talk for 20 minutes and not answer a single question or say anything of value. And the media let him get away with those non-answers. Infuriating.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 6 months ago

How do the obvious top 2 teams overall get the best 2 seeds? So much for the S Curve. I like our bracket, but would have loved to have seen Florida or SDSU as our 2.

I'm having trouble deciding to have KSU make the final 4 or lose in the first round.

The NCAA should just let Joe Lenardi pick the brackets... he obviously knows a helluva lot more than them. I feel terrible for Tad, Burks, and Higgins.

Curtis Stutz 8 years, 6 months ago

I just hope we don't end up with the same setup as last year where we actually had to play after the 8-9 game As if we didn't know little enough about UNI and they didn't already know enough about KU, they got to watch us play our first round game and knowing we would their staff only had to get material ready for one team heading into Meanwhile KU gets a late start, has both an 8 and a 9 to get ready for and none of the players had probably ever seen UNI play before the bracket came out So hopefully this time around it is set up the same way it is in conference tourneys and KU as the higher seed gets the first game with BU before the UNLV-Illinois game Obviously we'll have a better jump than last year on either of those teams as we know UNLV to some extent and I'm sure Self has a good feel for Weber

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Good points, and your hope was realized: we play before the 8-9 game. I in turn hope that Self does know Illinois, because Townsend has the scout for them as he had for UNI last year :-(

I really think that this year there will be no surprise factor: UNLV and Illinois are more known quantities than UNI was. I also think there will be no "ho hum, wake me for the Sweet 16" factor, since Marcus hath spoken it: "That's only gonna happen once".

That being said, forget Sunday and muzzle those Terriers!

keith horinek 8 years, 6 months ago

After we give BU a beatdown, does anybody know what time the sunday game will be?

TRUEBLUEKU 8 years, 6 months ago

FarSideHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Pretty good write-up. Enjoyed it and agree with it.

Let's win this thing, one weekend at a time!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 6 months ago

By the way, I just want you all to know that I am currently in first place for the 42 inch Plasma TV in the bracket challenge. I plan on being there right up until the first play-in game is concluded tomorrow.

Selbyville 8 years, 6 months ago

I bet my bracket finishes better than yours

FarSideHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Kansas over Notre Dame Pitt over Michigan State (for some inexclipable reason, Izzo always makes it) Ohio State over Syracuse Uconn over Texas

Kanas over Ohio State FTW!

MGJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

My take on KU's success in The Tourney...

1) As I've said all year, we go as TT goes. He is the catalyst for so many things offensively for KU. If he is not playing well, our chances are not good. 2) Tyrel and Brady have to be a factor offensively. Teams will double down on The Twins and our outside shots have to fall (at least 40%) 3) Twins have to stay out of foul trouble 4) Coach Self has to go zone if we need to. It worked against CU. It has worked in the past with teams that are shooting well 5) T Rob has to give us good minutes 6) Selby/Releford can spark the game from the bench through defense and good passing 7) KU fans have to get down to Tulsa and hopefully San Antonio! 8) Our bracket is tough but not as bad as last year. Notre Dame and Loiusville are beatable. ND is like a K-State. Loiusville is like a poor man's Texas. We've beaten both handily. 9) Withey might get some time if the Twins get in foul trouble. He HAS to be ready. 10) I am nervous but have a good feeling coming out of the Big 12 Tourney that it could be a special end of year for the Hawks!

KULA 8 years, 6 months ago

The Texas game was our best game of the year and Tyshawn is the key to our success in the tournament. When he's able to penetrate, this team operates at a whole different level.

Pwnage 8 years, 6 months ago

Would be cool if - after the game - they change their name to the 'Boston Stranglers' after KU chokes.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Did you enjoy your Boston pancakes this morning?

bad_dog 8 years, 6 months ago

pwnage =:

p erson w ho n ever a ctually g raduated e lementary school

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Probably Dickie V having fun as a troll.

ParisHawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Just watched SI.com and ESPN: lots of love from most of the pundits, then Dickie V doesn't have us in the Elite 8!

He should just take the Vth from now on.....

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Dukie V demonstrated his inept prediction abilities prior to the start of the regular season. From those results, KU should feel pretty happy. In fact, they should be jumping for joy. He didn't have a clue, then, and still hasn't after the conference tournaments. Best commentator & prognostigator in the business? Not! He's the Howard Cossell of the NCAA airwaves, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

RacerHawkA11 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow!! Stupid!!! We are so gonna be good and win! I have faith in the JayHawks! I truly believe they will do it. For us, for them, and to show of to Dickie V! :) We are so goin to the Elite and we are so gonna win! I love them JayHawks! They better not let me down, just like last year!

Rock Chalk Champions!

MGJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Jay Bilas has picked the Final Four in the past few years and usually is spot on with predictions. He has us in the Final Four against Duke. He won't come out and say who he thinks will win in fear of his alma mater not giving him press/talking points.

Dickie V should never come back to Lawrence again...

ku_tailg8 8 years, 6 months ago

I watched that ridiculous Fab 5 special last night and although I thought they were crying l did understand where they were coming from. Its too bad we have Adidas as our sponsor. Why don't we have Nike? Come on. They are the cream of the crop. I wear Adidas running shoes but would never buy basketballl shoes because they look ridiculous. Watching the Fab 5 special made me realize that you need Nike in order to get top recruits. I don't know when our contract is up with Adidas but we need to shift towards Nike.

ku_tailg8 8 years, 6 months ago

Its up to our very verbal guys now. This is what they wanted so they better back up the talk. Personally, I'm going to choose someone else to win it all, that way when KU flames out early at least I still have a chip on the table. I don't trust this team as far as I can throw them. They attack some nights and then sit and settle for 3's on other nights. They are at their best when they push the ball. N. Iowa last year was a problem b/c we played into their hands. We need to dictate how we want to play. If we lose, I'm going to be so mad b/c we have this wrap now of being the school that loses early. I'm tired of that. Change things and how we do business!

kureader 8 years, 6 months ago

Early oddsmakers pick KU by 22.5 over BU K-Straight only favored by 2

James Findley 8 years, 6 months ago

Bring it on! Not one team in this list scares me. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!