Saturday, March 12, 2011

KU gets rematch it wanted: UT

Kansas fell to Texas the first time the teams met this season. Thomas Robinson wouldn't mind avenging that loss in the Big 12 tournament championship, should the Longhorns defeat Texas A&M in Friday night's semifinal.

Videos

KU vs. Colorado

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Colorado 90-83 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The win advanced the Jayhawks to the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-83 victory over Colorado on March 11, 2011.

Download podcast

— Kansas University’s basketball players were in a bit of a daze the last time the Jayhawks played Texas.

“I didn’t go to sleep. I was up all night,” KU junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said.

The Jayhawks spent the late-evening/early-morning hours before a 74-63, Jan. 22 home loss to Texas in the dorm room of Thomas Robinson, who’d just learned of his mother’s death back in Washington, D.C.

KU played well early in racing to a 35-23 halftime lead, but was outscored, 51-28, the second half.

“I almost felt for a while that we didn’t even count that as a loss, that it wasn’t even on our record, because we had so much going on,” Taylor said Friday, the eve of today’s KU-Texas rematch in the Big 12 title game (5 p.m., Sprint Center).

“We played bad down the stretch. But they got us. They played good and got us. But to get a chance to play them again ... I think we’ll have the attitude we can beat them, and I’m sure they will come out with the same attitude. They have a good team, but I definitely think if we play ’em again it’d be a different story.”

KU coach Bill Self understands his players’ feeling of wanting a rematch of a game in which KU’s 69-game homecourt win streak was snapped.

“I think everybody who is competitive wants another shot at somebody who kicked their butts from that standpoint,” Self said. “There is a payback deal with our guys.”

Of the first meeting with UT, Self said: “They beat us on a day that was a weird day in Allen Fieldhouse, but no excuses. They still beat us. Regardless of what happened, they totally dominated us the last 20 minutes of that game.”

Robinson said he greatly appreciated the support of his teammates the night before the Texas game.

“Texas played a good game. At the same time, we weren’t mentally ready for that game,” Robinson said. “With everything that happened, of course we want to play them. Win or lose, we want to play them again.”

Noted Marcus Morris: “We were in the locker room (before the game) so juiced we had nothing else to give. We didn’t have a lot of energy until two minutes were left when we realized we might lose. They have a great team. Yes, we’d like to play them where we feel we’re at full strength.”

KU beat UT in three consecutive Big 12 title games, in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

“From my standpoint, we’ve had some unbelievable games against Texas,” Self said.

The Longhorns are also ready for what could be a classic final.

“Kansas is upset about what happened at their place. They will come out and play hard and try to outrebound us,” UT’s J’Covan Brown said. “It’d mean a lot to us to be the first team from Texas to win the Big 12 tournament.”

Comments

mojayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Good to see your post. Glad you're ok.

gratefultyler 6 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too. You asked for cake and got it. Now eat 'em up!

RockCaCO3 6 years, 4 months ago

Beef, it's what's for dinner.

RCJHGKU

Mike Bratisax 6 years, 4 months ago

Looking for longhorn steak..and the game is at dinner time.

rickster 6 years, 4 months ago

As far as Selby goes, he just needs to stop thinking so much and go into each game with a clear mind. I bet he will do better. MJ said he used to just not think about the game to prepare for a game.

Mike Bratisax 6 years, 4 months ago

I find it hard to believe that Aaron Craft (Ohio St) is better than Selby. This is one area that Self mishandled. I know I will be blasted but that's my humble opinion.

kennethst 6 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't blast you......but I think the combination of the suspension and injury have devestated his game. He needs to push the "reset" button and start strong next year.

I doubt we will get too much from him the rest of the season.....but I thought he played a little better yesterday.

Alohahawk 6 years, 4 months ago

+1 I've been thinking the same. He's concentrating so hard that his natural abilities have been inhibited. Some of those "You Tube" videos of him were impressive, so what happened to change his driving abilities?

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 4 months ago

"If you're not first...you're last."

• R. Bobby

Victory will be ours!

agraves 6 years, 4 months ago

The key to victory today is not controlling Hamilton. We need to control Thompson down in the post. If we do that we should win easily. He killed A&M last night on the offensive boards. If we can keep him off the boards and get him in foul trouble by driving to basket and forcing fouls...KU should win this game!

utahjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, I think Thompson's better than any past UT big men (Aldridge, etc). Hopefully, Hamilton or Brown don't catch fire.

studio 6 years, 4 months ago

All of those laps and "killers" are going to pay off tonight and forward if everyone remembers to use their feet, to get position, to BEAT their man to the spot! RCJH

nocaljayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Let's go Jayhawks! Hit the boards hard, value the ball, pound it inside. I sense a big game coming from T-Rob; he's not given a lot off the bench in KC so far.

TopCityHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I have a feeling this might be a greeaaaeat game. Texas looked awfully good last night, but we have the fire power to match them and win. Excited for the tip to say the least.

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 4 months ago

this game will show us a lot. even if we lose a close back and forth game, it bodes well. I just want to see us control Thompson....if we can, we'll win. and that's up to the twins and TRob.

You'd figure this is the game we wanted...and we'll see our best effort. Now let's just go do it! Go Jayhawks!

utahjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

We may need Withey to spend a few fouls on banging Thompson for a few minutes. I don't know though if Coach has even that much faith in him right now. I still think we're going to need him in certain situations down the stretch.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 4 months ago

First team from Texa$$ to win the Big 12 tournament... IMO unlikely. I just don't want our guys to peak yet. If someone matches up on Brown really tough, we can offset Thompson & Hamilton. Texa$$ team FT % is too high to give up needless fouls and Thompson is too strong to foul with "wierd Harold". Should be tough matchup on neutral court. Sprint is not exactly a home away from home.

Danny Hernandez 6 years, 4 months ago

How did so many teams miss out on Thompson? Seems like he's been a heck of a recruit...

Jeremy LeMaster 6 years, 4 months ago

What do you mean about teams missing out on him? He was the number 17 recruit according to Rivals and the #10 recruit on ESPN. Duke, Uconn and Louisville were all on his list.

lv_jhwk 6 years, 4 months ago

Granted, I've always been the type that prefers to play the game and let the results do the talking. So perhaps that's why all the public talk makes me uncomfortable...in my mind, all it does is work more in the opponent's favor. Leave the retribution quotes in the locker room.

All that said, I think this group of Jayhawks is the sort that actually uses such mind games to their advantage. The risks are greater (redemption with a win, further humiliation with a loss), but these guys seem to know this all too well.

Mike Bratisax 6 years, 4 months ago

This will be a good barometer for how well we do in the NCAA

dgaskill 6 years, 4 months ago

At the tipoff, Whatever we do! Don't Balbay run the length of the floor for a Lay up ! They did it to us and TA&M.... It must be on the To Do list every time they start a game!

Go Hawks!

kennethst 6 years, 4 months ago

Hopefully a strong start......this UT team is very good and will be much harder to come back on.

KU seems fired up to play UT.

kennethst 6 years, 4 months ago

What % will be KU fans in the Sprint Center......80% ??

Whatever it is.....please be LOUD!!!!!!!

Marvin Huggins 6 years, 4 months ago

At least I think I will get to watch the game tonight. The Big 12 has terrible TV coverage. The semifinals yesterday in St. Louis were on a minor broadcast station's secondary digital channel not carried on ATT U-Verse. We could only get it with a digital antenna over the air. And ESPN3 was blacked out. It's not very exciting "watching" GameCast!

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: Sprint Center

Slug: Barnes goes on crying jag in locker room, screams "We can't beat Kansas!"

jns stringers posing as janitorial staff in the Shorthorn lockerroom just minutes ago report that Shorthorn Coach Rick Barnes has had a nervous breakdown. Barnes allegedly went on a crying jag in which he fell to his knees and began to shiek, "We can't beat Kansas. We don't have a chance unless they are coming off a tragedy, no practice and a plane flight with no sleep. We haven't got a prayer!!!"

Assistant coaches reportedly held Barnes down, while the team physician, Dr. Juan Antonio "Dime Bag" Guzman gave Barnes an injection of a sedative.

jns stringers believe Barnes will be wheeled out to the Shorthorn bench for the game, despite the catatonia that he has reputedly slipped into.

Developing...

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

rockchalknation 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey Thomas!! Great response to the question.....I WANT A LONGHORN!! Hilarious. You got your longhorn T-Rob. Six more games Jayhawks, stay focused and rise the occasion