Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU hoops notebook

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media after defeating Colorado 90-83 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The win advanced the Jayhawks to the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game.

KU vs. Colorado

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-83 victory over Colorado on March 11, 2011.

Download podcast

T-Rob returning

Kansas sophomore forward Thomas Robinson, who reportedly said on ustream.com Thursday night that he is definitely returning to KU for his junior season, confirmed that is indeed the case.

“We have a lot of season left to play, but of course I’ll be back next year,” Robinson said.

KU freshman Josh Selby, who also was on ustream Thursday night, said he’d not decided yet whether he’d return to KU or enter the NBA Draft.

“I don’t know my status (for next year), to be honest,” Selby said. “Right now I am just focused on getting two rings. Like I said yesterday (in interview with Matt Tait of Journal-World), that’s what I am focused on. After the season, I will talk to my family about it.”

Better foot forward

Selby is happy to report he no longer is wearing an orthotic in his right shoe — one to help soothe his stress reaction.

He discarded the orthotic before KU’s first-round Big 12 tournament game Thursday.

“I’m about 90 percent,” Selby said. “It (foot) feels better. I just have to get used to this feeling in my foot. I went from a 12 to a 13 (size shoe), now to a 121⁄2, so it’s a little adjustment to make.”

KU assistant Kurtis Townsend gave Selby a little pep talk before Friday’s semifinal in which he scored six points with four rebounds, two turnovers and no assists in 11 minutes.

“He wanted me to get back my ‘swag,’’’ Selby said. “I wasn’t confident at first. He told me to play my game. It’s what I tried to do. I got a three and an and-one. I’m getting back in the flow.”

Ripping Reed

KU coach Bill Self was miffed that Tyrel Reed didn’t try to call for the ball on the inbounds play with :30 seconds left.

“Unbelievable. Side out of bounds, best free-throw shooter on our team and he doesn’t try to get open on the side out. That’s the kind of mental mistakes that you can’t have in this situation. I think he will (get open) next time,” Self said.

KU hit 29 of 33 free throws.

“That’s what I told our guys, ‘Be excited we won, but if we shoot 67 percent like we have all year long, that’s anyone’s ballgame,’’’ Self said. “So we stepped up and made them today and did a really good job in that regard, but certainly we have to do a better job late game to get the ball to our right free-throw shooters’ hands.”

KU went 10-for-10 from the line over the last 10 minutes. In that span, KU made just two field goals.

Stats, facts

KU has won 18 in a row versus Colorado and 45 of 46 meetings dating to 1991. ... KU advanced to the Big 12 title game for the ninth time. KU has won four of the last five titles. ... Marcus Morris moved into 27th place on the Kansas all-time scoring chart with 1,288. He passed Eric Chenowith and Jo Jo White, who finished their KU careers with 1,281 and 1,286 points, respectively.

Faces in crowd

Former KU athletic director Lew Perkins kissed his wife, Gwen, when the two were shown on the ‘Kiss Cam.’ Others in attendance: football coach Turner Gill and ex-KU hoopsters Wayne Simien and Aaron Miles.

Comments

Kent Wells 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the visual of Uncle Fester kissing. It will take gallons of alcohol and years of therapy to eliminate that image!

Brad Avery 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, TROB,

Make at least 500 free throws a day this offseason. Work on your form. Knees and hands work together. The twins will both be gone, and you're going to get fouled a lot next season,

Kevin Studer 8 years, 9 months ago

If Selby has a big tournament, he will go. That's how it usually works. If not, he will definitely need another year. Otherwise, he will find himself in Aldrich and Henry's position, watching a whole lot of basketball from the sidelines. He needs the court time and coaching.

hojen72 8 years, 9 months ago

The whole team nust suffer from add. They can't stay focused for more than 5-10 minuutes at a time.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't there an ad campaign years ago something to the effect of ".....maybe it's the shoes" as the tag line? If so, Selby has obviously reversed the intent of that line and is using the shoe size issue as an excuse for poor judgement play.

First: sun spots Now: shoe size. What's next? - the dog ate my playbook?

I bet Oakville will come up with a Top Ten excuses list soon. I love his lists.

lv_jhwk 8 years, 9 months ago

Find a friend who has a similar shoe a size larger, borrow it, and wear it around with one of yours for even a day or two. Then let us know if you managed to completely block out the pervasive "something's just not right here" feeling.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

This fabulous news about Josh having been playing without the orthotic. It means he is about due for a big game against Texas. Go Josh go!

yates33333 8 years, 9 months ago

If this team wins the national title it will be a bigger miracle than Danny and the Miracles. I once thought we had the best guard play in basketball, but no longer. What's happened to their shooting touch and the speed with which they pass the ball? They all seem to be playing on egg shells, uncertain of what to do, or madly set on driving the ball. Watch Texas pack their defense in on the Morris twins. Why not, they are without doubt the only reason KU is still winning.

I don't buy Jaybate's idea that Self doesn't rev them up enough. I certainly hope Self hasn't caused them to be so uncertain at times and so over confident at others. Self is still one of the three or four best coaches in college basketball. So I think to attribute these developments to him is wrong.

I guess I buy the idea that the NBA teams will recruit Selby on his prospects, but boy you couldn't sell him to me lately. I can't understand why the great swan dive. He is very young and needs to stay at some college for a while. Hopefully, KU.

yates33333 8 years, 9 months ago

When you are wrong, you are wrong. I was wrong about the guards. They played a marvelous game against Texas. If they keep playing like that a national championship is possible given the consistency of the Morris twins and TRob.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

yates,

You will see. He's not amping them on purpose. The only question is whether he will geek them up for today, or not. It is a meaningless game in the hunt for a ring. It only counts as payback.

If he geeks them up, they will beat Texas by 20 easily.

Self's decision hinges on whether he thinks a big win against Texas will have them feeling their best entering the tournament, or get them overconfident.

I can't say which way he will go this time.

My hunch is he will let the guys get themselves up a bit for pay back, but that Self will not really geek them up.

Self is playing for all the marbles and this game is not a game to waste a peak performance on.

Steady as she goes, boys.

With EJ, Josh and Releford completely rested for the third game in three days, KU should be able to win a grind it out against Texas without an amping.

The uncertainty in all of this is Self. He is a ferociously competitive guy and it is clear that he really took that loss to Texas hard. He may be willing to jack them out through the roof to get a win today just for payback.

But Self is also a tremendously disciplined and goal oriented guy.

If he has decided this team really has a chance to play for all the marbles in the Madness, then he won't geek them against Texas, even for payback.

It all depends how the jockey reads his horse today.

And whether he wants to go for the triple crown, or just win as many as he can and let the chips fall where they may.

yates33333 8 years, 9 months ago

I bow to your superior insight. You predicted KU would slaughter Texas, and they almost did.

HawksWin 8 years, 9 months ago

To those TT slammers, get to know him as a person before you attack the young man! A great article by Brady McC on TT. Job well done TT! Go Jayhawks!! Here we come San Antonio! http://www.ncaatop25.com/taylor.htm