Kansas defeats Colorado, 90-83

• 6 p.m., March 11, 2011
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Saturday, March 12, 2011

A driving force: Taylor helps KU subdue CU, reach title game

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor gets the crowd to its feet after Jayhawk run against Colorado during the first half on Friday, March 11, 2011 at the Sprint Center.

Videos

KU vs. Colorado

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Colorado 90-83 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The win advanced the Jayhawks to the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 90-83 victory over Colorado on March 11, 2011.

Download podcast

— Kansas University junior point guard Tyshawn Taylor had only been in the game 15 seconds Friday night when he heard a familiar voice booming instructions in his direction.

“Drive it ... drive it!” coach Bill Self bellowed at the 6-foot-3, 185-pounder, who was more than willing to obey coach’s commands against Colorado in a Big 12 tournament semifinal in Sprint Center.

Taylor, who subbed for Elijah Johnson just 1:08 into the game, took the ball to the hole aggressively in his 29-minute stint, scoring 15 points while dishing four assists against four turnovers in KU’s 90-83 victory.

“I heard his words. It’s exactly what I did,” said Taylor, who hit four of seven shots and seven of eight free throws on a night KU made 29 of 33 charities. “He told us at the timeout (at 18:52 with KU already down, 6-0), ‘We’ve got to play faster.’ He told us that last night. He told us today before we went out there we’ve got to play faster I tried to come off the bench and play with energy.”

He had his best scoring night since a 15-point outing against UMKC on Jan. 15.

“I mean, that could be me,” Taylor said, asked if the slashing player is “the real Tyshawn.”

“I’ve got to be more aggressive, but I feel I picked my spots today. I still turned it over too much, but I thought I played pretty well.”

Self has come to expect a lot from former starter Taylor, who has come off the bench in four straight games since serving a two-game suspension.

“That’s what he should do all the time,” Self said of Taylor taking the ball to the basket. “With Elijah, we play side to side a lot, which is fine. That means you have to get the ball in the paint off the pass. With Tyshawn in the game, you can get the ball in the paint off the bounce. It adds another element, another dimension a lot of times we don’t have.”

Taylor, who has seemed extremely focused since the suspension, didn’t crack a smile when asked to define his role on the team in this 2010-11 postseason.

Remember, he got into a batch of trouble last year for saying he didn’t understand his role.

“I think my role is the same whether starting or coming off the bench,” Taylor said. “Bringing energy to the team. My job is to make sure my team gets a shot every time. I had some careless turnovers again. I have to get us a shot every single time.”

The Jayhawks (31-2) advanced to today’s 5 p.m. final against Texas, by beating a CU team (21-13) that raced out to leads of 11-2 and 22-10.

The Morris twins then scored 17 straight points (the first seven by Marcus, the last 10 by Markieff) in a 19-4 surge that gave KU a 29-26 lead.

The Jayhawks entered halftime up, 43-37, and stretched that lead to a game-high 18 points at 62-44 with 14:14 left. The Buffs never quit and cut it to six in the final minute, though the outcome was never seriously in doubt.

“Colorado played great,” Self said, “especially the first half. They got us down, 22-10, before we woke up. And then we actually played some of our best ball of the year from the 10-minute mark to about the 10-minute mark of the second half and kind of faltered down the stretch. But we’ll take it. I’ve got a lot of respect for Tad (Boyle, CU coach and KU grad) and the job he does and certainly for their players.”

Marcus Morris (5-of-12 shooting) and Markieff (6-for-10) scored 20 points apiece for KU. Tyrel Reed hit three of six threes and scored 15 points. CU’s Alec Burks scored 23 points, but Cory Higgins was just 1-for-11 and hit for six points.

Interactive Timeline

2010-11 KU men's basketball timeline

Comments

100 8 years, 9 months ago

Keep it up Taylor!

Defense first, pass second, drive third.....

Play with joyful intensity & intense joy today boys...

"Do your best... That is success."

--- John Wooden

jayhawker_97 8 years, 9 months ago

"Surprise. That's what winners do.."

--- Charlie Sheen

yates33333 8 years, 9 months ago

They better not fumble at the start against Texas or it may be lights out.

floridajayhawks 8 years, 9 months ago

4 assists to 4 TO not good, get better at that ratio and everything will be fine.

Lawrence_Pilot 8 years, 9 months ago

Glad he finally had a good game...he's COST us more than he's helped us lately. Every time he comes in, I think, "Here comes a turnover." Four is still too many for a bench player. Yet Coach has some insane faith in the guy.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 9 months ago

the dynamic duo florida/pilot once again comin atcha back to back bringin' the negativity! Way to maintain the status quo fellas. Keep up the good work.

floridajayhawks 8 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't being negative, but if you don't mind him turning the ball over 4 times good for you.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 9 months ago

Exactly, and unless TT "cost" us a win, then he "COST" us nothing, b/c the 2 losses were pretty much team wide defaults.

AsadZ 8 years, 9 months ago

You must hate TT. We are 31-2. Thats it. The two losses were not his fault. he has done an admirable job this year.

RockCaCO3 8 years, 9 months ago

Holy crap, the kid has a good game and he still gets bashed.

Good job Tyshawn.

DevilHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes, he had a good game...but mistakes lose games more often than great plays win games.

What matters is that we won, but you really would think that he would have his turnovers under control by now.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 9 months ago

I know. "We only won by 7!!!! The sky is falling!! Every player made at least one mistake!! The sky is falling!! We are doomed!! If we play like this again!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thad Daugherty 8 years, 9 months ago

Aside from falling down/slipping what was it like 6 times (what was up with that) and the turnovers, that is what we have needed fron Tyshawn all season. If Dude, can continue to do that the rest of the postseason good things are going to happen.

trey 8 years, 9 months ago

There are three things about Tyshawn's game that are consistent... 1) he drives right at throws up runners. 2) he makes 2-4 unforced "knucklehead" turnovers per game. And 3) he is HANDS-DOWN our worst defender of all our guards...

And if you don't believe it, rewatch the game... he can't/won't/doesn't stay with his man off the ball. Same thing for the last three years... He seems totally uncapable of staying focused on defense. He's ok when his man has the ball (but just ok), but gets lost almost immediately when his man doesn't have the ball.

We don't need our pg to score; we do need our pg to take care of the ball and defend. No confidence he can do either against big-time teams & players.

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

he is worse defender than Selby, seriously?

dylans 8 years, 9 months ago

Johnson is a much better off the ball defender, but Tyshawn adds an element that EJ doesn't; reckless abandon.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 9 months ago

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I want my mommy!

jaydee909 8 years, 9 months ago

Trust thy Self. When the O gets a little stagnant and the Morris twins are not an option, we need Taylor's ability to get to the basket. Yes, he is good for a unexplainable turnover(s) in nrearly every game, but we will need him in the aforementioned situations to make a deep run in the tournament. Self is coaching to the strengths of his players and doing a masterful job.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 9 months ago

Slashing speed players will turn the ball over. Sherron did it all the time. Heck, Kobe does it all the time when he takes over offensively. It just comes with the territory sometimes.

Ben Kane 8 years, 9 months ago

some harsh words on here. i though TT played well and certainly helped calm us down during that early blitz. if he's making that slashing 5 ft layup he definitely adds another dimension we don't have.

look around the country folks, not many blowouts going on. let's enjoy the win and go get the next one.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Chuck---

I have been looking around. I have to agree. Not many blowouts. TT did a nice job. Way to go, Tyshawn.

I stayed up late to watch the San Diego State/UNLV game. The game was played on UNLV's home court. The Rebels are coached by former Wildcat coach, Lon Kruger. It came down to a last possession and SD State hit a shot in the lane with five seconds to go. I think they should be a #1 seed out West. My point though, is there were a lot of close games last night and during the day.

Chuck, glad you didn't have to watch the game at work. Rock Chalk!

Ben Kane 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad too. i already have my vacation day form filled out minus the day for next week. :)

SDSU might deserve a #1 but i doubt they will get it. my guess as of now:

Ohio State Kansas Pitt ND

how about them huskies though. kemba is playing like a pro right now. if they win the big east tourney i'm not sure you can argue against them grabbing a 1, though i doubt that will happen either.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn had some early head-scratchers. Pretty sure he threw it away a couple times and dribbled off of his shoe and between Marcus' feet once while he was unguarded... I'm not sure what was going on at the time but I remember thinking that he looked like a HS player for a little while... but he really pulled it together and played well overall

LngTimeFan 8 years, 9 months ago

TT is a big problem for the team despite his flashes of great play. He WILL cause a short NCAA tourney unless he gets his head out of his rear and stops the hot dogging. He drove to the N goal last night and threw up a prayer that just happened to go in. When he came down he went into his slow stepping look what I did mode and when he turned around CU had the ball almost to center court. He really needs to knock off the crap, it is not all about him. He still thinks it is all about him.

hawksfan08 8 years, 9 months ago

I love the way Elijah has played since taking over the starting role, but we don't win that game without Tyshawn. And similarly, there will be at least 2-3 games like that where we will not win without Tyshawn in the tourney. There are only about 5 teams (Duke, ohio st, Pitt, Carolina recently, and this texas team before it's slide) with the athletic ability and basketball talent/IQ to compete with this team straight up. Everyone else has two options A) try and play their game and hope we have an off night B) follow the OSU game plan and slow down the game and hope we jack a ton of threes and are not hot.

When teams consistently pack it in and double the twins to make them kick the ball to open shooters, we need the added dimension of the drive. It's always easiest to blow by your man when he's already guessing while running at you. Elijah should have the athletic ability to do that but he hasn't shown it. Tyshawn, for all his stupid mistakes, does have that ability. On a night we aren't shooting well from outside, that will make all the difference.

I'd also love to see our guards look to get the ball to the bigs on the side pick and roll. There have been countless times where a little pocket pass between the two defenders on the pick and roll would have resulted in an isolation situation or easy dunk/layup. However, tyrel and brady seem to rarely look at the roll man, and as Self said, we play more side to side with Elijah in the game. It's another change of pace Tyshawn, and pre-injury Selby, can bring.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

"Lastly, free throw shooting. Tremendous job last night. Let's hope it continues."

Amen, brother! Good FT shooting wins games. Period.

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

Well done, sir. You dance with the one that brung ya!!! He was getting CO to fouu a lot, too.....that helped us. Plus TT is a great free throw shooter.....that should not be overlooked.

CrimsonMax 8 years, 9 months ago

Pretty much singlehandedly stopped a CU run by himself....

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

I love this team. How far have the twins come since freshman that hacked and hacked and complained when called, and how they now hit FT, mamma said, bend your knees. The heady experience of Brady and Reed. The windex man TRob, clean those boards. The quickness and a bit of reckless abandon of the guards. The 'potential' and smile of Selby. The hard work off the bench of Releford and Mario. The coaches, the history, tradition and domination. We won't win every game and on occasion make bone headed plays, we may win out or lose a couple more games, either way, I love this team.

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 9 months ago

Applauds Well said, slayer!

The way I see it, TT is careless but dynamic, a potential impact player who can help us speed it up and extend a lead. We're gonna need TT to win some games. EJ is quiet but safe, a steady hand who can help us slow it down and maintain a lead. We're gonna need EJ to win some games. They're different PGs with different strengths, and having both of them around - regardless of which one starts or which one gets more PT per game - is only going to make us better.

I want this team play seven more games, and for no other reason than that I just love watching these guys play. Tyshawn is one of those guys. I might slap my forehead after a sloppy TO, but I'm gonna cheer even louder after a good drive 'n' dish. And no matter what happens in the Madness, I'm still going to appreciate what this team has accomplished and how much fun I've had watching them. That's what being a fan is all about.

RCJH!

SaulGood 8 years, 9 months ago

Phog - looks like Tyshawn stepped it up for you. I watched him very closely after your post on 3/10 after the OSU game. The difference with him IMHO in the CU game is that instead of trying to do a fancy finger-roll, he actually committed to a real layup and took it to the hoop a lot stronger. At 6:52 left in the game, he made a crazy drive again and was bailed out by the whistle. Hey, he got to the line and hit his free throws, and whether I like the drive or not, he kept our lead and that's all that matters. Yesterday we all saw some more mature drives that appear to be coming at Self's instruction, and he was a huge factor. All my Taylor-bashing aside, he was totally key last night.

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the follow-up, SG! Yeah, I was pleased that TT played strong yesterday. Maybe he heard us talking about him (haha). Consistency is definitely a concern with him, so I hope he'll step it up again today and play like the smart slasher we all know he can be.

Side note: It's nice to have discussions like this with other posters. Your comments are always well-thought out and articulated (and polite!), so even if I don't always agree with you, I always enjoy reading your posts.

SaulGood 8 years, 9 months ago

Could not agree more. I would love to see strong, confident drives to the basket for some bank-in layups.

You know, I am still a little bit disappointed to see the lack of bench play (Releford!). Your thoughts?

ParisHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr, you took the words, not right out of my mouth, but right out of my heart. I have read posts this season that have made me laugh or think or learn, but I have never read a post for which I am more thankful. You get the Most Valuable Poster award.

Yes, I like this team (a lot!) and I will join you in supporting all our players and coaches and in being thankful no matter what happens from here on out.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 9 months ago

agreed. The other day, after we beat OSU, 144 of 148 posts were negative. Personally, I'm enjoying the fact that Self has won OVER 84% of his games here.

W.C. Beck 8 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. Well put. This team is an absolute joy to watch and the ups and downs are all part of the journey. We are spoiled silly to have such success at KU and it is fatiguing to see such negativity on these postings. I too, get frustrated that we can't put games away, make boneheaded plays, don't play up to our potential, etc. But we still manage to win time and time again.

I love the fact that we are getting tested by teams like OSU, CU and later today, UT. It is great to see our guys overcome adversity, persevere and hopefully store these experiences in their memory banks for the upcoming games.
To me, this has easily been the most exciting season of the Big XII's existence. I suppose that is fitting, being its last season. The Big XII has been a crapshoot and we peaked at the right time to win the regular season outright and now we're poised to add another conference tourney crown to our hallowed halls. Who expected that on Feb. 15, post-KSU loss?

We have done it overcoming so much adversity on and off the court and for only the second time I can remember (2008), we are going into the tourney looking scary. We didn't play well in the last two games, and yet we had stretches where we were GREAT. And just like the Mizzou and Texas A&M games, we wore out talented, well-coached teams and proved our mettle.

KU always runs into a UNI, Bucknell, Rhode Island, etc. and in the past we've been largely unprepared from the regular season and lost. Just as the sun rises in the east, we'll draw another scrappy team like that this year, but watch out. This Kansas team is battle-tested and gets it done.

Great work, boys. Whatever happens, this is one of my favorite KU teams I've ever had the privilege to cheer on. Keep up the fun...hopefully we all have seven more games of this ride.

Carpe Hawkem

redlegger 8 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the great post drgnslayr! I wish everyone understood the difference between constructive criticism and negativity, which you presented so well.

I Love this Team!

One TT play last night I really enjoyed, was his drive with a no-look dish to Tyrel for a three!

FOE

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Drgnslayr, I have always like what you say and have said in the past. If I would have to pick an All-Star team of posters, you would be on it.

I love this team. It starts with the Head Coach, assistant coaches and on down. We have the best Head Coach in America. We have Danny Manning, the best assistant coach who works with our bigs. You catch my drift, right?

If we were not 31-2, I would still follow this team.

Rock Chalk forever!

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes....taylor had a good game......FINALLY!! So I give credit where it's due. I just wish I could be confidenet this will continue. Sometimes he plays well.....other times not so much. And the turnovers......???

However...I don't think I have ever seen Taylor have a "great" game. Maybe we are all expecting too much......but then again maybe that's the problem with Taylor. He is no Sherron or Aaron Miles or Russell Robinson....or Heinrich.

But like it or not......he's what we have and we have to go with him. He's very good at driving to the basket-especially with those long arms......and a very good free throw shooter.

Hopefully he can put in about 10-12 points and stay away from bad passes.

michaeldixson 8 years, 9 months ago

all of you Taylor bashers must be former point guards, I am so sure you couldn't do half of the things that Tyshawn does on the court so just give it a rest. Be proud of the team and well wishes for all of the players

hawksquawk 8 years, 9 months ago

If a Mizzou guard can be supportive of our team, we should be too.

omng392 8 years, 9 months ago

TT I've been hard on you all year, but I was very proud of the way you played last night. I thought you attacked the basketball and played with intensity that I haven't seen from you all year. Great JOB!!!

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

In addition to Taylor......I think Selby also deserves a break. He is injured and not capable of playing to his potential. I think we will be amazed next year at how good he is. This year I think it's best to do what Self is doing......play him very limited.

I thought he was somewhat better last night......made a 3 and drove on another and got the basket and foul....and made FT.

SDSurferFan 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi All-

Fresh off a trip to NYC and MSG. I bought my ticket from a dude with a puffy jacket and NY cap...LOL.

I saw (SJU vs Cuse and Uconn vs Pitt). MSG for the first time. All have big monsters down low, but terrible hands and bad passers, lots of turn overs. KU obviously has a strength in the front court. My concern if KU matches up with a BE team is that they have depth/size/strength that can make it a lot of work on scoring down low. KU would still have the advantage however. The one thing that they all have is a guard who can create. KU is not consistent in that category. They all have multiple players that can breakdown the D (zone or MoM). I am particularly impressed with Uconn (they have 2 other guys other than Kemba).

Interesting this team is headed into the NCAAs without Selby contributing. Says a lot about Self and the rest of the team. JayHawks will only go so far as Tyshawn takes them. All others contribute consistently. If EJ and more so Tyshawn bring their A+ games then its going to be exciting. Same goes for my Aztecs (good inside game, but not consistent guard play to breakdown the D). Going to be an interesting afternoon as I watch SDSU v BYU III and KU vs Tex II simultaneously. Happy both my teams made the conf final and would be more than stoked to see both avenge earlier losses.

This is my favorite weekend of the year!!!!!!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

SurferFan---

I hadn't heard from you in a while. Then, I forgot you took that trip to MSG.

Hey, I saw SD State last night with UNLV. Very entertaining game. It came down to the last possession with State winning. Too bad their game with BYU is on at the same time as the Texas/KU game.

Hope your home is okay with the big Wave and all. Take care.

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 9 months ago

One of the things I love about the B-12 is how many different styles of basketball these teams play. Something I love more: That KU has been able to beat pretty much all of those styles at least once. The tourney has kind of been a microcosm of that, too.

Game 1 vs. OSU: Grind it out, hunker down on D, fight through a low scoring game. Result: Win. We can play with a Big 10 team.

Game 2 vs. CU: Speed it up, drive 'n' dish, kick it inside, get more points on the board. Result: Win. We can play with an ACC team.

Game 3 vs. Texas: Play fast, guard the perimeter tight, bang around inside... basically play a well-balanced, inside/outside, PHYSICAL game. Result: ? This is the closest to a Big East match-up we'll get in B12 play. Be real interested to see how well we fight on the inside.

Of course, I'm positive we'll win. But I'm always positive of that. Should be another epic KU-UT showdown either way. Time to snag Trophy Number 2 of 3, boys!

Kye Clark 8 years, 9 months ago

Pretty ridiculous conversations going on. Half the posters are critical of Tyshawn's play, and the other half are criticizing them because either they don't know as much as Bill Self or couldn't do any better than Tyshawn.

Out right negative criticism isn't helpful. Tyshawn played very well yesterday, and I was happy for him. It is true that we he is the most effective of driving the paint, and most likely this team will need that ability to win the championship. However, everything has a context, and fact of the matter is that after almost 3 full years Tyshawn has burned many bridges with fans. And I don't care too terribly much about whatever has happened off the court. Plenty of players have had issues. However, most fans (myself included) doubt that Tyshawn can be trusted to consistently rise to the level of his potential on the court. Yes he is effective at driving the paint, but we've seen more games where his drives result in negative results. So does acknowledging that make us "fair-weather fans"? Uh...no. If anything, the fair weather fans are the ones who are critical of his play during a poor performance but are on the Tyshawn bandwagon after good performances.

Equally frustrating is knowing that Coach Self is going to ride Tyshawn, Brady, & Tyrel no matter what. Yesterday during Colorado's opening run Tyrel had turnovers on consecutive possessions, Self calls a timeout, and Tyshawn replaces EJ but Tyrel stays in. Huh? 1:08 into the game and through no fault of his own EJ has found himself on the bench. I could understand the whole "side-to-side vs driving the paint" rationalization, but how did he come to that conclusion after 1:08 of play? With someone else turning the ball over twice before even getting the offense set up? For me that was most frustrating (although not really surprising), apparently witnessing the completion of the cycle that started with TT's suspension and ended up with TT resuming his role as the de facto main point guard of this team. Whether he starts or not, he clearly has a stranglehold on the position. That is part of my unrest following yesterday's game - that apparently all the confidence building of EJ was more lip service than actual conviction.

I've said this before but once again for the cheap seats - being critical of a player/coach/team does not make you less of a fan. It does not mean that we don't cheer for these players we are critical of, that we don't support them, that we don't like this team. And it does not mean we know more than the coach or could do better ourselves. Some fans prefer to "enjoy the ride" and have complete confidence. Other fans have doubts and are skeptical. Both are perfectly fine, I just wish both sides would stop trying to tell everyone how to be a fan of this team.

SaulGood 8 years, 9 months ago

Well, to be fair, I said some pretty harsh stuff the other day about Tyshawn being perfect for the NBA, but I have to applaud your post. If I'm understanding you right, you and I agree that being a "fan" doesn't mean you're a cheerleader where it's your job to jump up and down and keep a smile plastered on your face at all times. When I was running Tyshawn down a little bit, PhogAdvisory said "Give me proof." That's fair! So I did my best to give him proof. Last night, Taylor had some crucial, much-needed plays where he delivered. If I was a rampant "hater" I wouldn't even give him that much credit, but he earned it.

Bottom line: I say angry things about Tyshawn because watching him play makes me angry the most often out of all the Jayhawks. That's natural when you understand the game, and even without his skills or experience, you know what he could do better. For me, it's simple - no more floaters. You're either taking it to the rack for a real layup, or you're dishing it. No more five-feet-out prayers; take it to the hole. One more time: Last night, Tyshawn did exactly that (take it to the rack and make a great play) Five Times In A Row. Awesome. We needed it, and Slayer is right - we will continue to need it. But for pete's sake, nobody's paying me to like the Jayhawks - I do it because I love it and was born in Kansas a Jayhawk, I graduated KU, and the 'Hawks are in my blood. I'm with you ICT - nobody has the right to question that of me. And if you're not paying me to like them, you're sure as heck not allowed to tell me how to do it.

KansasComet 8 years, 9 months ago

Great post! That was an excellent read!

CrimsonMax 8 years, 9 months ago

Most whistles drawn by TT since near the beginning of the season... Great Job Taylor..!!!

Hank Cross 8 years, 9 months ago

I remember that substitution. It brought to mind a joke of many seasons ago - "Kentucky better stop cheating or Cleveland State is going to get the death penalty again."

KANSTUCKY 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't get it... the KY jelly is going to my head... help me.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

We as fans have to help our team. In scouting I've learned that everything in Texas is big. Really big - even their toast. Here's the strategy: "Calling all Midgets". Get every little person in Kansas to the Sprint Center tonight! See, little people will "F" with their minds, because Texas is big. Surely it will cause a few turnovers and missed free throws. Rock Chalk. Beat Texas.

REHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

The Tyshawn saga is bound to deliver many more emotional chapters. Last night I almost broke my hand, pounding the armrest of the couch in brutal dismay when he dribbled off his foot. Before I could shake the hand loose from pain he had dazzled with such an amazingly super play that I spilled the beer in my other hand. The kid is what he is. We can't set expectations for him too high, or we are bound to go to bed grinding molars. But if we set them too low, at any moment he will fake us out of our jockstraps, help spring the Jayhawks loose for another win. Yeah, 32-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

Very funny.....a perfect description. He is a roller coaster. I just wish the good moments were more than the poor. Oh well...it is what it is. I think he should drive to basjet when he gets the ball.....odds are about equal that 1 of 3 things happen......1)turnover 2)draws a foul 3)makes the shot.......so 2/3 chance every time. That's pretty good odds.

KANSTUCKY 8 years, 9 months ago

Kind of like Collins without all the points, defense, basketball IQ or heart. EJ needs a longer leash and it should have started last year IMHO. We take what we get and By God don't be critical because we always make deep runs in the tournament... wait a sec.

Janet Olin 8 years, 9 months ago

I've not been a fan of Tyshawn the entire time he's been at KU, and in his third year he doesn't seem much improved over year one. However, he provided a much-needed spark last night and made several good plays, for which I credit and applaud him. It's a sad thing that Josh, a true point guard, hasn't been available or able to practice full tilt so that he could learn the sets in time for Coach to trust him to run the point.Not fair to bash the freshman for not being explosive when he's still walking around in a boot between games. Still, KU has gutted out some great wins, including yesterday, ugly or not. Way to go, Jayhawks! Beak those Horns. RCJH.

kennethst 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree.....Selby will be back next year full strength

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 9 months ago

Hate to break on a Jayhawk but too many ups and downs. The kid has topped out at this level. Great athletes don't necessarily translate to great basketball players. It will be addition by subtraction when he declares.

michaeldixson 8 years, 9 months ago

hawksquawk, put the bottle down. the mu guard is michael dixon (no s); my son went to school with him. I, dixson, ku grad am a very proud jayhawk and just wish the negative posts would go away.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

If we were not 31-2, I would still follow this team.

Rock Chalk forever!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

If we were not 31-2, I would still follow this team.

Rock Chalk forever!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

SurferFan---

I hadn't heard from you in a while. Then, I forgot you took that trip to MSG.

Hope your home is okay with the big Wave and all. Take care.

Dale Kroening 8 years, 9 months ago

We are 31-2, a # 1 seed in the big dance, Big12 Reg Season Champs for the 7th straight year, and in the Big12 tourney championship game, I trust HCBS, and no matter what am proud of this team and the year we've had. Some folks just cannot be pleased, and just love to bitch and moan. We can all agree this teams not perfect, but yes they are pretty damn good and make me proud to be a Jayhawk fan. Lets send Texas home with a big L, and put it together and win 6 in a row for the hat trick. RCJHGKU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Slayr--- You know, someone said to me the other day that they had not watched the news in at least the last three days. With high gas prices, Libya and yes, politicians, I haven't kept up on the news either. In keeping up with the Hawks though, it has been a great ride (so far). With the Frontier Airlines jingle attached with the video clips, I have been pulling out my rabbit's foot lately. I can see how this game can become quite frustrating at times. Having said that, I think there are a few Jayhawks that have made great strides this season.

Chris Piper from the radio broadcast said it best--- "Man, we are 31-2 and there are folks that are still critical of areas we need to improve on---but this is Kansas University."

KANSTUCKY 8 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't matter. Both of those losses could have been victories. Ask Bill yourself.

KansasComet 8 years, 9 months ago

Let's go Jayhawks. Hopefully we make a statement in this game!